[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why did they die? I learned more about games from reading AARs than any guide.
>>
>>1132601
I never made this thread in the entire time I’ve posted on 4chan tho
>>
>>1132591
I am not sure why AARs died. But I do know that Victoria 3 has got me really excited. So excited that I crapped out the very same helmet that Otto von Bismark wore during the Battle of the Sambur.
I tell you what, once I have cleaned up I will write an AAR, told from the perspective of the helmet. From its birth in 19th century Prussia to how it came to be stuck up my ass in the 21st century. Look, I will start right now.

"Otto von Bismark looked up from his desk and surveyed the scene outside his window. Outside a cow was taking a crap. A moment later another cow wandered into view and also took a crap. Then a third cow appeared and also crapped. Few would know but these rather ordinary series of events would lead directly to the bloodiest war in European history."

There! What do you think so far?
>>
>>1132670
WOW! A vic3 AAR before the game is even launched! Please continue. Subbed.
>>
>>1132591
They're a shitton of work. For a let's play you run the recording in the background, then you cut it up and upload it. If you do it right it's just a few more minutes work than your actual playtime. For a good AAR you unironically spend more time composing and posting it than playing the game. Plus it's very disruptive to your own gameplay if you constantly have to take screenshots and/or notes about what happens.

Add on top that modern audiences are not used to reading walls of text and that there is no easy way to monetize an AAR, while everyone and their mother watches videos in the background and video platforms have built-in ads - yeah, easy to see while only dedicated greybeards still write AARs. (them and turbo-autists writing spergy walls of text, calling them "AARs" when they're just glorified fantasy novels)

I agree, btw. Civ4 AARs were amazing and taught me a lot about the game. YouTube killed that genre I guess.
>>
>>1132591
We literally had anons posting AARs /here/, and /vst/ arguably has the least amount of actual strategy players out of all strategy vidya dedicated forums/platforms.
>>
>>1132670
Alright! I've got my first fan! Okay, let the story continue.

Chapter 2. The Pride of Prussia.

"Bismark regarded the map of Europe on his desk. The Austrians were a problem. So were the French and British. The Italians and Russians were problems as well. Too many problem to handle at once. Drawing inspiration from the cows outside he did what any sensible strategist would do. He climbed on top of his desk, pulled down his breeches, and took a long hot greasy crap. His feces scattered and plopped with a satisfying "ploop! ploop!" sound as they buried the map of Europe under the weight of his Prussian poo. Bismark finally let out a particularly vicious and sloppy fart and observed his handiwork. It would do for now. The problems of state could wait another day."

Tell me what you think in the comments below!
>>
>>1132877
Stop posting scat smut its gross you faggot.
>>
>>1132877
More!
>>1132887
Shut up arsefuck.
>>
>>1132877
>His feces scattered and plopped with a satisfying "ploop! ploop!" sound as they buried the map of Europe under the weight of his Prussian poo.
That's what you get for playing a map painter I guess.
>>
because i'm sharing mine on /gsg/ and i don't want to make all of those posts again.
>>
>>1132591

The obvious reason is that the heyday of AAR's was in a pre-YouTube internet. It was literally the best way of consuming all the details of someone else's cool playthrough of game with some personality thrown in.

Now, those people just do YouTube playthroughs.

They are also a pretty long time investment. Incredibly long blocks of text with scattershot screenshots, usually with cringey writing - The author trying to sound grand or epic or worst of all, weak Renaissance Faire-tier roleplay as the leader of the country. It's fun when it works but most people can't write.
>>
>>1133112
I still fondly remember some old Fall from Heaven 2 AARs on the CivFanatics forums.
>>
>>1132877
Very good but I suggest you shorten the chapters for modern audiences. Also always use a simpler word when ever possible. Words like "feces" are just too complicated. Call it shit, crap or poo.
>>
>>1132877
The continuing saga of the first ever Vic3 AAR

Chapter 3. Dinner with the General.

That evening General Dirtyass came to dinner. After they had finished eating Bismark turned to the General and asked:
"Well, is it?"
"Is what is it?" responded the perplexed General Dirtyass
"Is you ass dirty?"
"I dont follow."
"Well your last name is Dirtyass, so I was wondering if your ass is dirty"
"Oh! I see you you did here!" exclaimed the General, tears of laughter rolling down his cheek.
"You certainly are a fine fellow, General Dirtyass! What is you first name?"
"Fuckmy"
"So your full name is Fuckmy Dirtyass?"
"Yes"
"Don't mind if I do."
With that both men burst into hysterical laughter and began rolling around on the floor.
>>
>>1133297
Why are you like this, and do you think you could stop?
>>
File: TWR_avatar_400x400.png (244 KB, 400x400)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>1132591
The first one I ever read was Skantarios and I remember it fondly to this day, Floris is a fucking mememod but the OG AAR was funny at the time and still holds up today.
There's something pleasantly genuine about those old stories, and it's not just nostalgia either, it's good to remember there's other people out there who do actually like to play games.
>>
>>1132670
I never liked these kind of LARPy AARs tho. The best ones were just people posting about their game progress.
>>
>>1133297
First ever Vic3 AAR. You saw it here!

Chapter 4. An ancient enemy reawakens.

Frau Loosetwat was Otto von Bismark's housekeeper. She came into the dining room where she found Bismark and General Dirtyass deep in discussion, grim expressions on their faces as they studied a map of Denmark.
"Oh dear, looks as though Denmark is in for it!" thought Frau Loosetwat, as she gathered up the dinner dishes.
Not that Frau Loosetwat really cared about Denmark. Privately she thought all the Danes should sterilized. Filthy dirty useless people. Replace them all with good Prussian people and then the country would be worth something.
Bismark turned to the Frau.
"Send for General MacFuckarsery at once!" he commanded. "The very future of Greater Prussia depends upon it!"
Frau Loosetwat quickly scurried out to obey, a few thoughts racing through her head, and thus threatening to overwhelm her very limited cognitive capacity. General MacFuckarsery! Something very serious must be in the works! Probably to do with Denmark. All those Danish people! Lets hope they are all sterilized!

I do hope all of you are enjoying this epic Vic3 ARR.
>>
>>1132591
They're a lot of work. I've tried doing a couple myself and they make every play session almost 3x as long.
>>
>>1132591
AARs died because YouTube was invented and people could just record their gameplay w/ commentary instead of having to take hundreds of screenshots and write up what the hell was going on when they took it. After this transition the only people left writing AARs were ones who wanted to write gay fan fiction about Hitler eating a sandwich since that could never be translated to a video format.

Let’s Plays died because zoomers have a low attention span and can’t sit down and watch something unless it has retarded humor and cuts every 5 seconds.

So basically AARs died because new technology replaced them, Let’s Plays died because society is too mindfucked to sit down and watch anything longer than 10 minutes.
>>
>>1133425

Chapter 6. A sandwich for all seasons.

Bismark and General Dirtyass were eating sandwiches when General MacFuckarsery arrived.
"Welcome MacFuckarsery! Now would do you think about invading Denmark and sterilizing each and everyone of those Danish assholes?" asked Bismark.
"Well, we certainly do enjoy the advantage of the central position, being able to concentrate the bulk of our forces against a single enemy," replied MacFuckarsery, in between munching on a bacon, tomato, and lettuce sandwich which Fraus Loosetwat had kindly brought him. Privately he thought the BTL was a rather gay sandwich, but he was hungry.
"There's also the matter of our superior concept of Schwerpunkt. Not only can we concentrate on one enemy, but we can also concentrate decisively at critical points to ensure decisive results," added General Dirtyass.
Bismark nodded and regarded his two senior commanders with his famously steely gaze.
"Gentlemen, lets us give homage to Carl von Clausewitz "
With that all three men dropped their breeches, bent over, and with astonishing versatility farted out the Preußenmarsch, the national anthem of Prussia.
It appears the BLT sandwiches were not so gay after all.
>>
>>1133476
This AAR is coming along very nicely. I particularly like the way you are mixing real strategic concerns into the story with a wry narrative. Looking forward to the next chapters.
>>
>>1132591
Lets be honest here, the vast majority of AARs were absolute shit. Most would frequently start off with great enthusiasm and then suddenly end after a couple of pages, having barely started. Either the authors got bored of the game or it was too much effort. Then there were also the cringe larps where most of the witting would be some retarded imaginary conversation between the "actors". For the most part utterly boring and unfunny. These would invariably die out after a few pages too. Others were screenshot fests where the reader was subjected to a series of meaningless pictures depicting part of a world map, devoid of any information relating to the underlying situation. Usually accompanied by a few pointless fragments of dry text as an afterthought.
Only very few authors were capable of writing in an interesting way, providing relevant screenshots and accessory images, while also injecting various degrees of wit and insight into the discussion.
Imo the best AARs were found in the hoi3 forums ten years ago. Something about that game seemed to attract a better quality of authors.
>>
>>1133214
For real? Those were so cringe. More likely you are fondly remembering your Grandfather fondling you.
>>
>>1132831
This. Zoomers', attention span don't last more than a couple seconds.
>>
>>1134167
tldr
>>
>>1134167
As a zoomer I deeply resent your comment about our attention spans being so short. Just to prove you wrong I am going to write a full and totally in depth, analytical, and fully comprehensive AAR of a hoi4 campaign I recently played. Here it is.

1936. Started.
1945. Won!
>>
>>1134335
>1936. Started.
>1945. Won!

tldr
>>
>>1133476
The Vic3 saga continues...

Chapter 7. The Unholy Alliance.

Bismark had put Prussia on a war footing. Already Prussian armies were on STANDBY, ready to storm the Danish domains. All that was needed was the order to attack.
Bismark did not hesitate. He reached over and CLICKED the ATTACK button!

HELL WAS UNLEASHED!

Wildly Bismark threw his arms into the air, dancing around the room, all a hollerin' and a whoopin' with excitement! His anus twitched and writhed and pumped out a series of frenzied farts! He mashed the ATTACK button again! AND AGAIN! AND AGAIN!

Nothing happened. The front did not move. What could have gone wrong? Fortunately a message popped up.
"The northern front lacks sufficient supplies to attack."
"How the fuck do we fix that?" asked General Dirtyass, "We have no control over logistics, it is supposed to be automated!"
Bismark let out a long wet squelchy fart. This could be very bad. Perhaps it was time to seek an alliance.
"Send some diplomats to the Manchus" he ordered, "this could be a long war."
>>
>>1133112
>>1133425
Youtube was launched in 2005, there were still lot of AARs 10 years later in 2015

Gameplay AARs didn't have that gay fanfic crap
>>
>>1134581
>the Manchus
Looks like it could be a long war indeed. Great stuff! Keep going!
>>
>>1132601
Go back to /pol/ chud.
>>
>>1134581
>no control over logistics,
Is this true? If so then its gay.
>>
>>1134581
Chapter 9. "Very well, alone it is."

Deep within the deep and dank recesses of the Manchu High Court the officials were preparing to receive the Prussian diplomats.
Upon being ushered in the Prussian diplomats noticed the curious lack of furnishings typical of diplomatic quarters. No plush carpets, no ornate desks, no servants welding platters of fine dainty foods, and all the other accoutrements one would expect at the reception of a foreign mission. Instead, lying on a bare wooden table, in stark contrast to the dungeon like appearances of the room, were a collection of stunningly beautiful small gift boxes. Existentially hand crafted, with all sorts of frilly bits, luxurious paper, and colorful little ribbons tied into bows. A bevy of young Manchu ladies, all as equally stunning beautiful as the boxes, were just finishing off the decorations on the boxes. They scurried out quickly, their silk clothes barely making a rustle, giggling, as the Prussians were led into the room by some heavily armed Manchu guards.
"Umm, we are here to discuss alliance with the Mighty Manchus..." began the senior Prussian diplomat.
He was very surprised when his head got chopped off.
As were the other Prussian diplomats as the Manchu guards suddenly began chopping them into very small pieces.
After it was all over the guards picked up some of the more recognizable pieces and carefully placed them within the gift boxes, which were then carefully closed and sealed. These were sent off the next day. To Prussia. Addressed to one Otto von Bismark.

I am having so much fun writing this AAR, I do hope you are all enjoying it too!
>>
>>1135311
what happened to chapter 8?
>>
>>1135356
It got swallowed by Austria
>>
>>1133017
>>>/vg/393057908
it's up
>>
>>1135311
I cant believe the Manchus did Senior Prussian Diplomat dirty like that. I hope Ottoman Bismarck teaches them a lesson after making Danish into gay sandwiches
>>
>>1135939
Ikr? I was deeply shocked. Why would the Manchus do that? And imagine poor Otto, opening those gift boxes, probably expecting to find some sweets, and instead finding the decomposing remains of his best diplomats.
>>
>>1135311
The first ever Vic3 AAR continues...

Chapter 10. A Snitch in time.

With the Manchus declining alliance the situation for Prussia was looking grim. Danishes were pouring over the border into northern Germany. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prussian armies were still out of supply despite being located within 20km of Berlin. France and Russia were mobilizing. Factories were not producing enough chinaware. The peasants were getting all angsty and rebellious. Something had to be done. Only a supreme commander of sublime genius could salvage this otherwise irredeemable situation.
The eyes of all good Prussian people were on Bismark.
"I am going to have to take a good long shit and have a think about this" he said.
There was hope.
>>
>>1136283
After bismark has finished dumping on the toilet he will dump on the danes, lol!
>>
>>1136283
You need to put those armies on standby so they dont consume so many supplies.
>>
Third Odyssey AAR was interesting
>>
>>1133465
>since that could never be translated to a video format.
Narrative let's plays are a thing.
>>
File: fotosketcher8.jpg (465 KB, 1366x768)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>1135920
>>>/vg/393553187
And it's done
>>
This whole thread is a good example of why AARs died. Look, the vast majority of replies are just fucking imbeciles and stupid children. One guy starts a half decent AAR and he gets barely any response, no wonder he just gives up. Why bother wasting one's time on a pack of useless fuckwits?
>>
I don't know if anyone would care, partly since I do narrative AARs and it seems like most people don't enjoy that but mostly because it's already very deep in the story, but I am running a CK2 AAR presently in /gsg/:
>>>/vg/393936817

The premise of the current one is starting out as the Chinese Liao Dynasty, migrating to and integrating with Europe and Christianity, then travelling back east to retake China. I put as much emphasis as I can into interpersonal relationships and the broader culture and traditions of people, to avoid the entire AAR becoming "Hans declared war on Schmidt for the tenth time."

I've also done a lot of AARs from 2016 to now, 7 in total prior to this one. I have links to archives of all of them in this pastebin: https://pastebin.com/ESC4HGfV

Even if most people here don't enjoy them, I am still making them at least. I plan to do a HoI3 Britain/Unthinkable AAR after the current Khitan AAR is finished.
>>
>>1143291
I appreciate your autism AARnon for what it's worth.
>>
>>1143291
>I plan to do a HoI3 Britain/Unthinkable AAR
But that is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!
>>
>>1145277
Thanks anon, I appreciate it. Even if not everybody consistently reads or even likes my stuff, it's nice to know people can at least appreciate my level of 'tism.

>>1145366
I'm going to start in '36, so not from the Unthinkable bookmark because I agree that would be pretty impossible. I'm not bad at HoI3, I was pretty good in my day, but I've played mostly DH since 2018 so I'm really rusty though, and Britain will always have a manpower ceiling for efficacy no matter what I try to do. It will be a very interesting game to see whether I can actually build an army large and mobile enough to pull it off, not to mention whether I can get to the Axis before the Soviets just take them and release puppet swarms, which would make my job twice as hard.
>>
>>1145379
Will you ever put your AARs somewhere else on archive? Imgur is really shit for reading text especially since you can't save your position easily, trying to read the older Khitan chapters because it's been so long since I caught and it's a fucking nightmare especially since loading more images messes up scroll bar position for every page.
>>
>>1145992
I don't keep the text myself, outside of what's hosted on imgur. I could do it but I would need to go through image-by-image rather than batch uploading, which would be a pain in the ass. But the bigger problem is just that I don't know of any sites that would be a better alternative to imgur. Imgur might be shit for browsing but it does let you add a very large amount of text to each image upload and it doesn't have an upload cap. The Khitan AAR is already over 2GB total of images, so any site with an upload cap I'd probably break through pretty brutally between this and the other six AARs.
>>
>>1146080
I'd say just copying the text over to archive of our own or some other literature site and putting the imgur pics stamped where appropriate since archive has image hotlinking would be ideal, though that would also be a lot of manual grunt work.
>>
>>1146188
Hmm, AO3 is not the site I would normally consider for something like this, but doing that would actually allow me to break the AAR down into smaller chapter sizes that would be more readable, and if the image host was still imgur it could be done without breaking a filesize hosting limit. I'll have to look into it, but I will consider that. The changeover wouldn't happen until after this AAR was already finished, though. I don't want to rock the boat on imgur mid-AAR.
>>
>>1146197
Yeah I was thinking breaking down the sections into smaller chapters would help with readability too which was the main reason I considered, and AO3s bookmark feature would help a lot for a work the size of the Khitan one in particular. Thanks for considering since for your style that seemed like one of the best choices and who knows you might introduce some shipping and anime poisoned teenagers into another form of autism
>>
>>1146257
I'm not sure if I would list it, if I had the opportunity to. I'm not sure if you can make things hidden on AO3, but I never list the AARs on imgur for instance, all those albums are hidden and only link-accessible. I guess I don't specifically mind people finding them but I've often thought that there's basically nobody who would come across one of my AARs randomly through searching and say "oh wow this is lovely, I'd like to read this."
>>
>>1145379
If you are going to write AARs based on a paradox game why not just use their official forums?
>>
>>1146820
In just this Khitan AAR alone I touch on institutionalized rape, genocide, xenophobia, extreme torture, and some not-so-rosy views on Islam. All period-appropriate and not thrown in just for shock value, all are brought about from actual events in the course of playing, but even with how seriously I write all of my work I'm sure I would be banned immediately if I tried to post them on the forums.
>>
>>1146838
Then just for the hoi3 mission impossible aar you were talking about.
>>
>>1146863
I suppose I could, but there's no guarantee there wouldn't be racism directed toward African or Indian colonial troops in that AAR. And it might be removed solely because there's going to be a lot of anti-leftism in in generally, since the goal is going to be Churchill going full nutso and invading the Union.
>>
File: 5de.png (653 KB, 731x1172)
653 KB
653 KB PNG
>>1132877
>His feces scattered and plopped with a satisfying "ploop! ploop!" sound as they buried the map of Europe under the weight of his Prussian poo
>Prussian poo
>>
>>1132670
this is the reason aars are dead. nobody ever took them seriously
>>
>>1145366
Yep, you won’t take over the uk without naval supremacy, it’s mathematically impossible to beat 4 carriers 16 battleships 25 heavy cruisers 45 light cruisers and 60 destroyer flotillas with Germany’s starting navy of 2 battle cruisers and a handful of ships

Glad you realized that you’re really fucking stupid for thinking 15 ships can beat 100+ And now know it’s impossible at the start of the game

Btw you never posted a screenshot of you conquering the UK without naval supremacy…
Because it is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE XD
>>
>>1146795
I don't know I think you're underestimating the type of people who binge archives for esoteric stuff to find.
>>
>>1150426
MATHEMETAICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!
>>
I'm writing a megacampaign aar. It's basically writing a book at this point since I'm making the alt history more and more complex with serious implications for centuries to come so I have to think about not only the nation I play and how it changes during the time but everything else. Wars, Kings, plagues, invasions, migrations, it's a long ass process.

Aars are a LOT of fkin work. Even my stellaris aar side project to take a break from my main aar is becoming way too massive too quickly.
But because I'm a sucker that writes and writes and writes. I want to make good stories.
>>
>>1150725
Maybe, though I don't even know what I'd tag it for people to search. I'm not very familiar with AO3, though I guess that's a problem for later.

>>1151230
I don't have exact amounts but just based on average character count I extrapolate a total word count of 350,000 words just for 250 years of a CK2 AAR. A megacampaign must be a real nightmare.
>>
>>1151670
Do you use any sort of intentional historic bias in the AAR? Temujin acting sorta out of character and at least a little of the great islamic conquerer's adoration speaks to mind during my reading.
>>
>>1152252
You mean writing the AAR with tone and details which call attention to the times when events in the AAR differ from what happened in real life?

If so, yes, a little. Temujin is this larger-than-life figure who was THE nomadic threat in our reality, but in this reality that mantle was taken by Agdji, and Temujin was at best a pale imitation, our reality's Timur as compared to the Genghis Khan. Without specifically calling attention to that from time to time, it's easy to think that the Khitan are sort of this force which is taking advantage of latter-day Mongol weakness, but that was never really the case. Agdji was always the ultimate rider, and it's more that the Mongols lived in fear of the Khitan for most of their time on the steppe.

It's sort of similar with Razin Hunayn, although that's an in-universe sort of correlation. In the AAR, Islam is despised as weak and decadent by the Khitan, but Razin was a once-in-a-millennia figure who rose to such a level that he would have been superior to Agdji, had the two ever met in combat. When Agdji is the ultimate warrior, to say that another warrior is even greater, great enough to command his respect despite his religion, is important for in-universe context.
>>
>>1151045
Yep, and you will never be able to prove otherwise.
>>
>>1152311
MATAMATICALLY IMPOSIIBLE!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.