[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>unlock tradition
>beeline education, rush NC
>make the only real choice the entire game as you decide what you need in between finishing tradition and rationalism because you only have enough time for a 1-2 policy dip into any of the other trees
>unlock & finish rationalism
>try to win science victory but it takes too long and you realize you can swing a diplo victory this game, win diplo while you are researching particle physics
>do this exact same path every single game if you want to win on any difficulty that isn't mind numbingly boring

yeah, I'm thinking this game sucks
>>
File: dogsmile.jpg (53 KB, 654x560)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>105859
Domination is the only entertaining victory for me. Diplo just takes too long and the AI behaviour doesn't help achieving satisfying outcome.
I just take Songhai and smile when there is Egypt staying in my way.
Alternatively take Persia and enjoy the eternal Golden Age.
>>
>>106049
This, I have never won a single game in Civ 2, 3, 4 and 5 that wasnt domination. I only tried it once in SMAC and it was boring as shit just meming around being nice and bribing everyone until they voted me to victory, all the time I was just thinking "man I could be having fun sending all these swarms in right now"
>>
>>105859
Nobody plays Civ for the singleplayer unmodded side. Either mod and LAN or go online.
>>
File: fonzie.jpg (74 KB, 640x360)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>105859
Civ 5: The game where the franchise ended.
>>
>>105859
>create everything one thing at a time from a specific point will be extremely funny
>yes! An AI that cheats sounds excellent as well!
Why did they ruined it bros. The game have plenty of things that I love, none of them are related to the gameplay
>>
>>106636
I don't think Civ5 deserves much hate, it resonated nicely with casuls so it may serve as an entry-game (one per franchise doesn't hurt). I'm more concerned about what came after.
>>
>>106773
It does not. I really want to love it, you know? . I have the full game on steam.
Maybe MP it's where the game is more fun (like age of empires) but I guess it's too late for that.
>>
>>105859
>Plays the game in a boring repetitive way
>"Guys wtf why is it boring and repetitive?"
>>
>>106773
>I'm more concerned about what came after
This.
Three CIV games since civ5 came out and they're all shit
>>
>>107001
There are multiplayer competitive leagues around, but you have to join a discord for that, plus they usually have strict rules or their meta is such a way that you always do like OP says
>>
>builds five cities

aah yes my empire is complete
>>
>>107880
>Three CIV games since civ5
Sorry what?
>>
>>107915
beyond earth, VI, and...revolutions?
>>
File: 1579994733398.jpg (907 KB, 850x1201)
907 KB
907 KB JPG
>>105859
Play Vox Populi and never look back
It removes the building requirement for every single one of your damn cities for the national wonders. National college doesn't have the 50% science boost either
>>
>>107001
Well, I like to do an Immortal/Terracota Army rush on my friends in MP so there is some fun. My biggest MP gripe is how teaming up (on lower difficulties) against the AI breaks the game. Joint research, automatic defensive pact, added player score, friendship declarations and so on. If you're bringing newbies into the game it isn't glaring, but later you start to feel the limitations. I think the only thing AI does relatively good unit-wise is missionary-wave attacks.
>>
>>107886
This is the worst part. At least in 6, 9 times out of 10 settling another city is a good thing.
>>
>>107886
>>108766
If you don't like small empires, then just spam infinite cities and build a big one.

>b-b-b-b-but happiness will go down and thresholds will go up!
If you're a good player then you can compensate.
>>
>>108877
posters like these are the journos who brag about beating the game on king and award any civ game 10/10 because they can't tell any differences between them
>>
>>109316
How is he wrong? Sure it's suboptimum but going wide is possible even on hardest difficulty you just have to micro growth and either use happiness boosting religions or build happiness buildings, the problem is the only possible strategy that would want that is spamming units or trying to bait ai into warmonger penalties, civ 5 is a mindless dopamine dispensary on single player and a poor mulitplayer game but that doesn't mean you have to play optimum every game like op
>>
>>109999
Or how about having genuine, non-trivial choices, strategies and player proactiveness like in, I dunno, the previous installment when there are so many variables that actually optimizing takes significant efford and excel spreadsheets?
>>
>>105859
I always turn off time and diplo. Culture, science or domination only. I also mod it to hell and back so Anwar Sadat can team up with Holo from Wheat Feuds and Simba the Lion King to take on Khomeini and Yuri from RA2.
>>
>>105859
Liberty is 100% viable stop being a pleb who doesnt know how to have fun
>>
File: eQ20E.jpg (83 KB, 384x313)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>105859
>googles how to minmax the game
>thinks hes a genius
I mean if you want to ruin your own fun that's your problem.
>>
>>107966
>Vox Populi
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/345120/Vox_Populi_Vox_Dei_2/
I am going to need more info senpaii
>>
>>110050
Does the AI "knows" that those victory conditions are off and act accordingly?
>>
>>110227
It's also named as the Community Balance Project. Here's the mod page on civfanatics where you can download: https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/community-patch-project.497/
There's also a wikia page to browse over the changes but it's a bit old. https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/Civ5_CBP_Wikia
I like the mod mostly because you can play wide without having to give up yields from the national wonder requirements
>>
>>110163
>not knowing how to play
>fun

This is the kind of casual audience 5 has attracted to the series, lmao.
>>
>>110378
>knowing how to play
Minmaxing isn't 'knowing how to play' you fucking twit.
>>
>>110383
That is exactly what it means. You know how to play, you know what provides an advantage, you work out an optimal strategy that provides the most advantage. That is quite literally what a strategy game is, trying to work out the best outcome of many variables.

Civ 5 just fails as a strategy game, because the optimal route is the same every game, every time, every map. There are no trade-offs, no different routes, no risk-benefit decisions, no changing strategies based on the map layout or neighbors or whatever, no civic decisions to manage etc. You just do your 4 city thing, research the same techs and win on deity, very rarely you have to make an actual strategic decision that isn't trivial.

If you just want to build up and and paint the map while roleplaying, you are looking for sandbox games, not strategy.
>>
>>110404
Sounds more like following a meta, which is a key point of minmaxing
>>
>>110409
What the fuck are you even rambling about? You think Chess has a "meta" just because players are looking to make optimal plays instead of making nice looking little formations of pawns?

What the fuck retards like you are even doing on a strategy board?
>>
>>106049
>>106538

>try to win with science/diplomacy
>AI start suicide war and drag his allies
>domination victory

I think my mistake was thinking CIV is a series to roleplay as a leader of a nation, it's just a turn based age of empires after all.
>>
>>110404
Minmaxing is taking fun out of the game to guarantee victory as best you can because you have nothing else going on in your life.
That's not playing.
>>
>>110255
First link was to the forum, my bad. Installer here
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-how-to-install.528034/
There's also MP-modpacks you and friends can manually install to play VP online.
>>
>>110439
>playing well
>taking fun out of the game

Sounds like you really just want a sandbox game where you can just fuck around. That is not playing.

Also, you think the players who played with the series 1 to 4 somehow did not have fun, You have MORE fun when you actually have a concept what the fuck is going on instead of roleplaying and blobbing.

This is the kind of casual reject who play 5.
>>
>>110455
>Sounds like you really just want a sandbox game where you can just fuck around. That is not playing.
>implying
>>
>>110455
>playing well
I'm not going to bother having this discussion with an obese incel whose self worth stems from his ability to google the best build in a strategy game and follow rote.
>>
>>110469
Either buttmad or shitposting now.
>>
File: Loaf.jpg (11 KB, 289x213)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>110464
>>110469
>All this skub
>>
>>110235
I have no clue. It doesn't matter really I think because going for the things that give you diplomatic victory is still useful for other victory conditions. They're both just vctory timers anyway. Either working on a set turn or until the position as world president comes up and whoever has the most city states at the time wins the game.
>>
>>110478
>being anti-skub
As expected of a minmaxer
>>
>>110404
Just play on a fucking lower difficulty then.
>>
>>110163
You need to go back to you shitty bait thread instead of cancerously finding every thread you can insert your stock phrases in.
>>
>>111049
not him, but this is actually a good idea because it's fair game.
>>
>>111419
>stock phrases
>bait thread
What?
>>
>>108766
This is because in early versions of civ5 the Infinite City Spam ICS strat was really overpowered and worked with most civilisations.
Now it's only really possible with the Mayans and even then still kinda sucks.
It was nerfed hard with the first expansion
>>
>>108877
>If you're a good player then you can compensate.
what a retarded thing to say. national happiness can only be gained from a few limited sources such as luxuries, in which case being a "good player" just means settle next to a lux you don't have, and if such a spot is not available then no amount of "good" is going to help you.
>>
>>110163
low iq. strategy games are supposed to be about adapting your strategy to your current situation, if the same strategy is the best in all situations then the game isn't a strategy game any more, just a city builder
>>
File: 1595508231351.jpg (121 KB, 1462x2046)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>110383
of course it is. playing a strategy game is about minimizing negatives and maximizing positives. that's all there is to it. if you're not doing it then you're just picking shit at random like a total mongoloid
>>
>>105859
even if you dont follow this exact route the game still plays the same every game
>>113860
this is completely correct and one of the game issues with the game
there is very little a good player can do to beat a bad one
>>
>>113860
True but the few other ways to get serious amounts of happiness can be achieved by liberty,
First remember that playing multiplayer you won't have deity's happiness malus
Second you can rush theology right when you should finish liberty be able to get great engineer then build the free prophet building and get pagodas/ one happiness every two civs of that faith or probably better tithe since it will cover the upkeep on collusum
You also get rewarded for building roads something you should be doing anyway
Liberty can make more sense if you start near none production boosting luxury's that can be exploited with the calendar tech you still do have to get lucky with not starting near all the same luxury but it's an option if your good it let's you compete on different things early
>>
>>114542
best religion belief is just war, you do 20% more damage to cities with your religion
>>
>>114615
yes? when your units are attacking a city they are obviously gonna be within 4 tiles range of that city, or they could not even make an attack
>>
>>114633
Solid strategy anon but umm it doesn't do anything for your happiness which infact will be worse because your invading lands you don't need
>>
>>114615
Pagodas & Mosques FTW
Tithe or Church Property for the founder
>>
>>114615
with just war just pump out a pagoda after you take the city over
>>
>>114573
the best anything is almost always happiness which is a huge flaw of the game. Pagodas and mosques always get taken first by anyone with any sense at all because of this
happiness = more cities = more of everything
>>
File: BOO HOO.png (448 KB, 706x721)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
>>105859
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playing singleplayer

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playing on a low difficulty

sciencoids should get the noose
>>
File: 1592256339544.jpg (46 KB, 822x960)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>116152
>Build those wonders for me, science boy. I'll be taking them later.
>>
>>105859
I always played Civ 5 with domination as the only allowed victory type, that way you never have to play tall and all the nerfs to wide make it somewhat of a challenge.
If you played Civ 5 any different then you were deliberately giving yourself an inferior experience.
>>
>>107966
I wish Vox Populi was usable on Linux
>>
File: 1566041294663.gif (210 KB, 600x600)
210 KB
210 KB GIF
>>110443
>>110255
Lest us goooo time to see what is this about
>>
File: 1556667023699.jpg (9 KB, 215x251)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>116201
scienceoids never see it coming oh no no no they should've built a standing army instead of that useless wonder that I will now be using for +3 culture lategame
>>
>>116587
Cheer, mate. One thing to know before you start a game is that the difficulty ie AI bonuses ramp up per era via yield multipliers, rather than at the start where they're given extra units. Makes it easier to to get a head start on expansion/religion than vanilla, which I believe is an improvement
>>
>>113860
Get happiness from wonders, social policies, ideologies and religions.
>>
>>110163
at its core strategy is all about minimaxing
>>
File: 1584038021856.png (6 KB, 600x474)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
I downloaded vox populi to check it out and it crashed on turn 2
>>
>>117968
You almost certainly did something wrong.
>>
>>117729
>he doesn't know that happiness is split in local/global happiness
expected no less from a dumbass
>>
>>116533
>playing civ just to play tactics game vs tactically retarded AIs
no thanks
>>
>>114673
then I wouldn't be keeping the city, would I?
>>
>>112982
This just belies the bigger problem with Civ 5, which is that global happiness is an ABSOLUTELY RETARDED form of limiting expansion and that single mechanic arguably ruined the entire game.

It's literally impossible to balance and that was demonstrated during Civ 5's lifetime, when the optimal meta swung wildly from spamming cities literally everywhere to holing up on 4 cities forever.
>>
>play tall empire
>ok guess I'll just spam wonders haha
>oh oops I forgot to have a decent army now I'm getting mauled by the bloodthirsty ai who saw how weak I am
>play for domination
>lmao get fucked gandhi
>leave him one city so I can demand shit from him later
>can clearly see his standing army but I still move everyone for 8 tedious turns to the other side of my empire to take on napoleon
>ghandi declares war again on me after cooldown is over and buttfucks the city I just took from him
this game is so fucking fun. feels good being fucking retarded
>>
>>119141
Yeah
They should've just done something like cost of settlers doubles for every one you build.
Make Liberty more viable and make spamming cities harder and harder but without making wide empires impossible
>>
>>117968
Auto installer or a modpack? Former should be self-explanatory.
>>
>>116988
I am back. Sadly, the mod is extremely broken and literally nothing works
>>
File: 20200905233450_1.jpg (374 KB, 1920x1200)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
So is this where we post games?

>>120550
See >>117976
This is an incredibly popular and supported mod, anon. It ain't the problem, it's you. No offense.
>>
>finally beat Emperor
>decide to try Immortal
>spawn next to the Huns
>Attila declares war after turn 50
>I'm conquered after turn 60
Welp... time to reroll, I guess.
>>
>>120550
Did you use the installer? It should work as is. You need to run it from the mod menu
>>
>>120584
Ok, I will look into it later. Thanks m8
>>120694
Yes, the newest installer and checked all the circles in the mod section
>>
>>120584
you can guarantee at least one of those tiles has horses
>>
File: 1598417416118.gif (2.9 MB, 200x170)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB GIF
>Min-max singleplayer game every Time he plays
>literally doing the same thing over and over
>is surprised that it's boring
Gee i wonder what could be the issue, and dont give me the
>HURRR DURRR BUT YOU NEED TO
no you fucking dont you monkies, civ 4 is Way better but just becouse you are unable of variety doesnt mean the game's trash

>>121446
Kek
>>
File: 20200906141841_1.jpg (523 KB, 1920x1200)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
The lands around Moscow. Note that horses, cattle, and sheep aren't revealed yet. Good stuff, see some good spots already, but it's unfortunate that the best dirt is south and southeast of my capital, towards the neighbors, especially when one of those neighbors is Genghis Khan. Don't much care for only having one CS around either.
On the very plus side, though, got a bunch of ruins, like 7 or 8. No techs or maps, but did get some faith for God of the Expanse, and a fucking crazy 181 gold on like turn 3, thus that worker. VP Russia doesn't have that great of an early game, so those boosts are a huge help.

>>121446
Oh, naturally. It's Communitas after all.
>>
File: 20200906143216_1.jpg (610 KB, 1920x1200)
610 KB
610 KB JPG
>>122471
Well that didn't take long.
>>
>>122471
>>122484
>staring next to genghis khan and alexander

yikes, if you survive your early war with the mongols then you have you have late game passive aggressive displomacy wars with grease to look forward to

also the land to your south looks like an absolute nightmare to attack into
>>
File: 20200906144756_1.jpg (650 KB, 1920x1200)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
>>122514
>next to Alexander
Next is being a little generous.

>also the land to your south looks like an absolute nightmare to attack into
Yeah, the river systems Communitas generates are strong, but hell to navigate.

Early war with Genghis went really well. Archers took both his second and third city as soon as they plopped, then got a sweet peace deal out of it. Might have been able to wipe him out if his own archers didn't start popping out of Karakorum. That'll set him back for years. Enemies for life now, but it's not like that was ever not going to be the case. Russia and Mongolia getting along? Rubbish.
Portugal is already pissed, though. Reeee warmongering, hisss territorial disputes. That sucks; Maria likes trade, nuts as she is; would have loved to be friends.
>>
File: 20200906145639_1.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1200)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>122567
Also Genghis has this fucking thing in his pocket. So that's great.
>>
File: 20200906151139_1.jpg (341 KB, 1920x1200)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
Alex and I became friends and he denounced Mongolia on the very next turn. Bros for life.
>>
>>122669
This literally never happens when I play, Alexander is always a dick to me from turn 1.
>>
File: 20200906163055_1.jpg (732 KB, 1920x1200)
732 KB
732 KB JPG
>>122678
>DoF runs out with Alex.
>Maria sees an opportunity and declares war!
>Alex immediately asks to renew our friendship and declares war on Maria
I was joking about bros for life, but nevermind. You and me against the world, Alex!
This is shaping up to be one of those games that started snowballing early and never stopped. The Genghis threat never materialized and now I've got knights and more cities than everyone else. Great, but a little dull. Moscow is never, ever going to be touched.
>>
>>105859
Social policies were the gayest shit to ever be in a civ game. I'm so glad that shit is gone.
>>
>>110235
It does actually. If you weren't aware the AI tracks which condition it is working towards. This is most obvious if you play domination-only games: all the AIs, even peaceful ones, will pick Autocracy and join wars much more eagerly. You can also see it from the world congress Arts Funding/Sciences Funding proposals: AI that are going for culture victory will support the first and get angry if you propose the second, and vice versa. If those victory types are off the AI (from what I've seen) never supports those proposals.
>>
>>105859
Then open liberty.
If you ever reach a point where following an optimal strategy is making the game less fun, then do something sub-optimal. Civ is complex enough that I guarantee you'll discover new strategies to compensate.
>>
>>122993
You can only open liberty on rare occasions when you have a bunch of happiness resources nearby, at least in vanilla.
>>
>try civ 5
>see that roads have maintenance
>play civ 4 instead
>>
>>123008
Single-digit unhappiness isn't a big deal. Going wide, most of your early population growth will come from settling new cities.
>>
>>122471
>Oh, naturally. It's Communitas after all.
I think he was talking about Catherine fucking horses
>>
anyone play with nqmod* on singleplayer? pretty decent and the ai is a little stronger because going piety doesn’t kneecap them for the rest of the game
>>
Civ 4 is the best Civ and any Civ after it is not even worth talking about.
>>
File: 1557874119292.jpg (143 KB, 800x973)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>Have only played Civ 5 & Civ 6 thus far
>First time playing an older Civ title
What can I expect?
>>
>>107966
The last time I played VP was over a year ago and I remember being frustrated with the happiness system being tinkered around so much by the dev (understandable though given that default civ5 happiness system is kind of ass).
That being said I can attest to it being leaps and bounds above regular civ V, like Jesus Christ it's not even comparable. Biggest thing I was impressed by was the ai actually posing a threat militarily; even on higher difficulties the AI in vanilla civ5 was brain dead and would only defeat you in sheer quantity. By contrast VP actually has the ai do successful hit and runs with cavalry in a way that isn't suicidal, clever terrain positioning, establishing unified front lines, etc.

The one complaint I had was that it can feel really spammy with the notifications and hard to wrap your head around some of the number values cause VP really inflates them last time I checked. You'll get like 8 notifications in one turn about how each city did something that added 537 production or 461 food or some shit like that. Otherwise a very solid mod.
>>
>>124155
fun
>>
Is there some mod for V that makes it so that the AI actually has to play by the same rules as the player?
My 'tism can't deal with the fact that the computer does whatever it wants and doesn't have to deal with happiness and gold.
>>
>>124155
Kino
>>
>>120820
I'm back. Never worked. Played a couple of Venice runs and deleted the game (again)
Yes, I'm dumb.
>>
>try byzantium
>continents on king
>rush only other civ on my continent in Arabia
>get pagodas/cathedrals/monasteries + sacred sites
>however no civs within shallow distance
>and settling cities like a retard means my science rate was terrible
>do have good tourism output but it doesn't matter when you haven't met anyone
>end up losing as gandhi on another continent gets worked into an unkillable bloodlust and rolls england/portugal, takes all their wonders, outproduces my tourism w/ wonder culture, and then wins a tech victory as my continent is impotent and i didn't go rationalism

God they just suck so fucking bad, the one game I try them and i get a good religion I doom myself from turn ~50. I would have had a chance if not for his absurd tech lead giving him ez access to the great firewall
>>
>>127266
Imagine playing a civ game where settling more cities over 4 actively punishes you.
>>
>>124894
That's always been a flaw with these types of games. Programmers still haven't figured out how to create AIs that actually play smart in games with this level of complexity and uncertainty so they just make them cheat.

Sadly I am too much of a social recluse to find actual human beings to play this game with on a regular basis. Once in a blue moon I manage to get a group of friends together to play for a single session and then we forget about it for a year and by the time we come back to it we've all uninstalled and reinstalled and all the old save files are gone.
>>
>>127331
imagine playing wide
any strategy game that does not properly reward playing tall is not a strategy game
>>
File: mfw.gif (9 KB, 220x220)
9 KB
9 KB GIF
>he doesn't rush futurism to mog other cultures with instant tourism win
>he doesn't chariot rush gliding into hambra/bburg space marines bonanza
>he doesn't do commerce/order fat cat instant buyout strats
>he doesn't abuse greek/swedish diplopower
>he doesn't early swarm the map with 20 impis/german barbs
>he doesn't build comfy unpenetrable inca fortresses full of 5/2 hills
>he almost never plays wide
>he never plays mp
Not gonna lie, familia, you sound like a faggitor who doesn't actually know how the game works and just religiously follows basic bitch pro-tips from some jewtuber.
>>
>>127453
There's a difference here. You can play wide or tall in 6. If you play wide in 5 you get fucked.
>>
>>127549
the only sensible post in this thread
>>
>>105859
>he doesn't take his time to enjoy the game and make memorable stories and instead makes it a joyless grind for himself
>>
File: 1358850918454.jpg (126 KB, 1262x867)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>110428
>Playing on a continents map
>Going for Domination victory
>Finish wiping out Germany so I can have an entire continent to myself
>End up winning a Cultural victory since they were the only ones left I wasn't influential with
>>
If you want to play a far more interesting civ 5 experience google no quitters mod or lek mod these 2 are primary mods people use to play mp i can find games pretty much during any time of the day in their steam groups or discord and etc

If you want a far more interesting sp mod
Dl vox populi and a bunch of other mods i can t remember now but just google for some vox populi mod pack in civ fanatic forums or steam forums
>>
>>127739
Is there a page that lists all civ bonus changes lekmod/nqmod/whatever it's called? I am curious
>>
>>127739
>look up no quitters mod
>"EUI is not fully compatible with NQMod."

literally unplayable
>>
>>127883
It is compatible there is a specific version of EUI that works for both nqmod and lekmod
>>127861
I am on phone at work rn so it would be too hard for me to find that shit rn but just google those mods there is a google doc somewhere in mod download places showing all the changes
>>
>>127899
I think I found it
Not sure if it is updated to the latest version
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CD_PFyqqlsJee9X5UDdQ0ml6rsLgCMSNFeCBAS2zNFA/edit
>>
>>127708
Culture victory is terrible, too passive. It would be better if there was always 1 (one) civilization which resists your culture until you do something active, like sending a musician to do a concert tour in their territory.
>>
>>127453
>playing a 4x game that actively punishes expansion and growth

Lmfao

>b-b-BUH MUH TALL

Civ 4 has a literal one city mode you absolute ape nigger.
>>
File: 13sdyc.jpg (82 KB, 666x500)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>123008
I go liberty most of my games because it makes it easier to pick the best spots for cities. I enjoy an early game competing for lands with lots of resources that ideally go with my civ, like iron and horses with Russia or natural wonders with Spain.

I only pick tradition if I'm going for a cultural victory or have a civilization with bonuses to food and growth, otherwise I like choosing my great character - be it a prophet in case I want a religion badly, or an engineer to get some building going, even if I never build the pyramids.
>>
>>127549
>trying to win
Literally the most boring part of the game.
After you've explored the world and done 70% of your settles the game is just tedium incarnate.
>>
>>128747
liberty into settling a god tier petra city for rushing with the free engi is my favorite strat
>>
File: 20200908134940_1.jpg (392 KB, 1920x1080)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>127331
I mean the game before I did songhai and rolled my entire continent through the power of honor comp rush into mandekulu cav, having more gold than I could ever spend, then going order into science victory to catch up to indonesia who rolled their entire continent and win a science victory. Wide's possible, its just that if you are settling all the cities you can't do shit with it unless you are a civ like carthage abusing early gold connnections

I just can't into byzantium, since they focus on religion but have no bonus to faith generation. I mean look at this start
>pick dance of the aurora and settle a bunch of dogshit tundra cities that you will never get anything out of
>or settle for the meta tall strat settling a few good cities using god of the sea
>whoops god of the sea already taken :)
>>
>>128825
>why did you put a strategy game in my mobile city builder
>>
>>129462
There is no strategy.
>>
>>129494
>t. single player babby
>>
>>128118
That's how it usually happens to me. One civ does way better than the other ones when it comes to culture, and rather than slowly reaching their level, I end the game with great musicians
>>
>Play on diety
>have no idea how the game will eventually turn out, but you pretty much have to play in an autistically specific way that ignores like half of the game's options just to stand a chance while you cheese the AI and hope they leave you alone for long enough to start making moves
>Play on emperor or a lower difficulty
>Game is won 100% of the time by classical era, unless you have some sperglord warmonger neighbor who will invade you on turn 10 but become totally irrelevant if you survive, then rest of the game is basically just Sim City
>Play multiplayer
>Game is won 100% of the time by classical era, only now your enemies can rage quit and no one will play on any game speed slower than quick

I'm not even sure why I like this game anymore
>>
>>129510
>multiplayer civ v
Got bored of that after the 15th game of seeing the exact same thing happen every time.
The game suffered from metadeath years ago.
>>
>>129538
Stop playing the game to win.
Explore the world, make some cool cities, win a couple of wars and then quit before you hit the renaissance/modern era.
>>
How do I fix this? Using the big LOTR mod atm
>>
>>129434
That's just a bad start.
The Byzantine definitely need a boost too actually getting a religion. There's various mods for that, starting with a stockpile of faith or getting some faith per city or starting with a shrine in Constantinople. My favorite is VP, naturally, where they don't get a faith boost but can pick any pantheons and tenants they want even if other civs have already taken them.
>>
File: 8930_20200908165021_1.png (2.41 MB, 1920x1080)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>129566
Pretty much the only thing I do when I decide to replay Civ 5 nowadays is play on prince so I can see how hard I can ICS from the get-go before unhappiness becomes impossible to deal with. Saying fuck you to the happiness system is the real challenge in Civ 5, I had a game as the Celts where I had settled like 70 cities.

I don't have that save anymore but I saved the map because the start was stupid good for a tall capital.
>>
>>129616
God why did they make tundra so damned ugly?
>>
>getting close to beating Immortal for the first time
>one more round of voting and I'll have a diplomatic victory
>suddenly, lose the game because another civ had a cultural victory
>revert to an earlier save
>try to coup a city-state
>fail
>reset the save
>fail
>reset the save
>succeed
>win my first Immortal game with a diplomatic victory
Any other cheaters here?
>>
>>130107
If i play on anything higher than king yes
>>
>>123008
Liberty has its uses.
It excels at expanding quickly or spamming low pop cities. Usually getting liberty you want 4-6 cities settled by turn 100. Getting the Forbidden Palace should be high on your prio list.
Problem with Liberty is of you get backed into a corner or outplayed by someone (ie: unable to expand) then it's bonuses are worthless. All our takes is some lucky barbarians or and early game CIV like Huns or Egypt and you're fucked.The production it provides is nice in the early game but useless later.
This is why people pick Tradition 90% of the time, because it provides bonuses that you want that are useful for the whole game, so it's a safe bet.
>>
>>120648
How threatening an AI considers you to be is entirely based off of your combined melee unit strength.
If your army is 4 archers and a catapult the AI considers you to have no units and will gank you thinking you're an easy target.
Of you want the AI to not attack you, just build 4-5 spearmen early on and they won't fuck with you for a good 100 turns.
>>
>>129566
Unfortunately this.
Civ5's strength is the first 100-150 turns.
It's the most terminal case of "the early game is the only good part" of all strategy games
>>
>>130107
>>130136
It's so impossible to resist save scumming in this game. There should be an option for move-by-move autosaving that doesn't let you make manual saves, or something.
>>
>>131012
I think the problem is that liberty doesn't lend itself to any victory condition other than domination (which still really requires combo w/ honor) whereas tradition directly buffs the most powerful mechanic in the game in science via boosting your food/growth in your first cities which combos with how punishing settling extra cities is in terms of both happiness and culture/tech costs.
>>
>>131020
honestly i love civ v endgame, it is really cool how much more aggressive ai gets over ideology, how easily cities flip in wars, and in general how close it feels to irl modern politics
>>
>>132723
Liberty City Spam as France was THE culture strat in civ5's early versions
>>
>>110378
>>110404
"it's just a game" is such a weak mindset
>>
>>120584
I've downloaded and played vox populi (latest version from civfanatics, EUI, no other mods) for the first time last week. Multiplayer with wife, 6 AI civs (8 player total) on largest continents plus, max city states (most spawned on islands, some 16 of them), epic speed.

If playing multiplayer, be sure to not use Events (should work in single). Otherwise after Xth turn you cannot click Next Turn.
The most stable way to play is make a modpack with everything and use said modpack as faux-DLC. This way steam workshop autoupdate of some mod doesn't fuck entire setup because one mod update introduced some incompatibility.
That's also the only way to play multi.
Good guide is here:
https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/Creating_a_Modpack
https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_Install_the_Modpack
Didn't disable AV and still took me 15mins to create modack from scratch with no prior knowledge of civ modding besides clicking subscribe in steam workshop.
Named the modpack "Z_VP" to make sure it loads as last DLC (DLC load order is by folder name lexicographicaly), also moved ui_bc1 to "Z_VP".

Best to use quick combat+movement / quick turns mod.
Barbarian turns take same time as all other players combined (hybrid turns). Either disable them or be patient.
I've read that quick turns mod plus lua jit for civ 5 makes barb turns several times shorter, haven't tested.

Zirca turn 200 every 2-4 turns there is desync (loading takes a minute or 2), we had about 6 crashes to desktop (2 as host), one time a golden age failed to proc. That's the extent of problems we've faced.
If your saves failed to load, freezing the game just after loading do this:
1. force quit game to OS
2. start game
3. load earliest possible save from that game (i.e. autosave turn 1)
4. it loads successfully
6. exit to main menu
7. load the save that was previously failing
8. it works now
Happened upon this solution on some random github issue. Works with multi as well (only host needs to do this).
GL&HF
>>
>>105859
I never understood why people always go tradition. Not only do I think Liberty has better bonuses, but it also is far more fun
>>
>>130107
My advice is start small. I've won vs. 3 AI on immortal then got fucked vs. 4 by getting into a war that lasted a millenium while egypt built every wonder in the game. Work your way up. Of course you could always just play an island map too.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>134882
Don't you see, it's tradition.
>>
>>134150
based, Infinite Chateau Spraw
>>
>>134676
>If playing multiplayer, be sure to not use Events (should work in single). Otherwise after Xth turn you cannot click Next Turn
This, I've had it happen in single player as well
>>
>>134914
kek
>>
>>127549
>Greece with same religion and patronage has a 0% influence drop peer turn with CS
Jesus Christ
>>
>>129510
>Why yes, I love waiting one minute per turn
>>
>>134882
Civ5 Pro player FilthyRobot has a 40min video explaining exactly why Tradition is the choice 90% of the time
>>
>>134882
na honor is the fun starter policy tree. Playing barbarian whack a mole is decent money in the early game.

It's trash otherwise though.
>>
>>136868
Filthy played MP. For single player it almost doesn't matter what you do below Deity unless you spawn right next to hostile Huns. Tradition is still the minmax way 90% of the time, but it's not crucial to win.
>>
>>137055
I've been wanting to go piety for a while now just for the laugh but even on emperor it seems like too much of a risk, the idea of maxing out an entire tree that doesn't do much in the hopes you get to jesuit education first always puts me off but I'm probably being small-minded.
>>
>>134882
tradition is for easy games where you know you can last til the end
liberty is for hard games where you need to expand or die
honor is for farming ai civs but you need other policy trees to close out domination victory
>>
File: 20200907121323_1.jpg (649 KB, 1920x1080)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
Pillaging all these Moai felt so satisfying. All those hundreds of turns working those tiles just to have them pillaged.
>>
>>105859
Sullla was right.
http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html
http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/bnwreview.html
>>
>install vox populi with eui
>can't see tile resources instantly by hovering over it
>can't bribe city states with gold, have to build a special unit and send them there to gain influence
To the trash it goes.
>>
>>140620
>not relegating a high production city to spam emissaries
I've noticed the resource icon glitch though. Remedied it by turning the icons off/on, but it still disappears from time to time.
>>
>>140620
>can't bribe city states with gold, have to build a special unit and send them there to gain influence
>It's different so it's bad
You can disable that component, smoothbrain. Pretty sure the tile thing is adjustable too.
>>
>>106049
The AI in Civ is genuinely awful. They don't really remember anything and they can't realistically be reasoned with, so you either spend your time ignoring them, making trades for things you absolutely need (or that makes your civ happy), or just genocide them.
>>
>>140473
civ v babs btfo http://www.sullla.com/Civ6/exceedsexpectations.html
>>
>>141369
It always baffles me how people think that Civ V's inclination to "playing tall" was particularly interesting, and not a negation of one of the most fundamental aspects of the 4X genre.
>>
>>141369
I love settling cities that are completely worthless until they each build multiple wonder-tier construction projects.
>>
>>141382
Its not that Civ 6 isn't without problems, it's that it does fix some of the big mistakes that 5 made.
>>
>>141389
If you say so. I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable playing wide in 5 than 6.
>>
>>141419
Have you ever tried any other entries in the series?
>>
>>138099
Pick Poland
Go tradition then spend your extra policy points you get on whatever you want. Their bonus guarantees you at least one free fully completed policy tree.
They're the most overpowered civ for exactly this reason.
>>
>>141380
Read the thread.
Civ5 didn't start tall.
It was brought in with balance changes with the expansions.
In the early versions City Spam was so overpowered that it was the only way to play.
>>
>>141431
No.
>>
>>141441
>Civ5 didn't start tall.
I'm well aware, I remember how bad the ICS was on launch because global happiness was easily circumvented, but "playing tall" is what 5 became know for after BNW.
>>
>>140620
>install vox populi
that's where you fucked up
>>
>>105859
>playing vanilla civ5
shiggy-diggy
>>
Shouldn't honor always win over liberty and tradition? Work a horse tile first, buy 2 horsemen and start pillaging their shit.
>>
>>143382
Give it a shot, if you're so confident.
>>
>>143382
Nah, short answer is liberty provides early game production.
Honour just gives you a couple of military bonuses.
There are multiple in depth videos explaining the why and how when it comes to social policies.
>>
>>138099
Piety tree is underrated, but not a tree you start with.
It synergizes well with Liberty due to its +1 faith to shrines temples bonus.
Like everything in the game, religion in civ5 ultimately serves to give you more science, in one way or another.
>>
>>137130
Yeah he played high level MP but 90% of what he says carries over into other scenarios.
>>
>>143382
The problem with Honor is that you still need to build up a military to do anything with it. Civ is a snowball game and you need to get going as early as possible. Like Tradition and Liberty, Honor is a tree that's nice once you've established yourself, but unlike those trees it does nothing to help you get there.
>>
>>136868
Number one, that vid iirc is for MP, which I don't have a group to play with.
Secondly, I am not watching a fucking 40 minute video to learn why one social policy tree is marginally better than another
>>
>>136868
>MP
It's still the same metagame in single player, minus DoW simultaneous turn advantage
>>
>>144316
>>144722
>>
>Start surrounded by jungle with the only luxuries are citrus in jungle 2 tiles away
>restart
>Start in a plain with no hills
>restart
>Start sandwiched between Attila and Shaka
>restart
>Start on an island that can only hold 1 city
>restart
>Start on the coast with 2 fish, 3 wheat, salt, 2 sheep, whale, and a river
>heh, easy game

In all honesty though, what's the point of slugging through a bad start on 6 or 7 difficulty when you know there's Alexander who spawned on a continent by himself surrounded by city states and is just going to have a ridiculous snowball?
>>
>>125294
Sounds like you din t have some dlc
Also playing venice is legit the worst experience but okay
>>
You ever just forget to change civics? I do that more often than I should in civ 4
>>
>>145426
You wanna hear something autistic? I can't play Civ 5 if I don't like how my start looks aesthetically. So if I get the 'America' or 'Africa' tile sets (there are four different tile sets that looks different and Europe is the prettiest by far, and the others all look garbage) I restart.

If I'm too close to Tudra or Jungle or Desert I restart as well, so I restart like 99% percent of all starts unless I'm playing with the edit mod
>>
>>145904
>If I'm too close to Tudra or Jungle or Desert
Desert is nice for Morocco, although i had 3 reloads before I got some decent resources nearby.
>>
>>145426
In theory the point is overcoming that snowball. In practice I do this exact same thing.

>>145904
>so I restart like 99% percent of all starts unless I'm playing with the edit mod
IGE is such a dangerous mod. It's SO easy to go "man, I just want to start on a hill and am sick of restarting, let's just spawn one" and before you know it you're perfecting the terrain for your first eight cities and memorizing the map and spawning extra units and so on. It's too much power.
>>
>>146295
>and before you know it you're perfecting the terrain for your first eight cities and memorizing the map and spawning extra units and so on
Did this a lot as a kid when playing Civ 4 because the world builder wasn't external to the game, it took a while to unlearn this habbit.
>>
>>146046
Well if I'm playing a desert civ like the Moroccans, Ethiopia, Egypt, etc then I'm cool with desert, and If I'm playing like Brazil or the Maya or Aztec than I'll be okay with Jungle.
>>
>>146295
Yea I agree. I see my civ sometimes become like way overpowered and then I realize how busted I made the whole region.
>>
On the topic of starting tiles, what if in a future 4x game you can choose the exact starting tile features rather than roll on a randomly generated bias? It seems like something that needs to be balanced well; I think I remember Beyond Earth doing something like this
>>
>>146773
So kinda like an alternative to advanced start?
>>
Is there ever a good reason to use infantry over cavalry in VP?
>>
>>147799
Defending and hitting cities? Also no resource cost.
>>
>>147822
Assume you've got the horses for them.
Infantry aren't good for hitting cities either. Even with drill promotions they're too weak against equivalent defenses and any sort of terrain. They take too much damage on retaliation and are then too slow to retreat when they need too.
Defending I'll give you, terrain and fortification and all that, but you don't win wars by holding lines. And again, they're so god damn slow.
>>
The reason I don't like going for any aggressive victory conditions is that I don't like managing a gorillion cities. Maybe I should just play on smaller maps with more civs than usual.
>>
>>149496
Have you ever tried puppeting them instead of managing them directly? Then the only thing you really have to worry about is happiness.
>>
>>150110
Puppets suck.
>>
>>147964
just have them hold a line behind/around the enemy city so you can hit it with your siege, they can be great vs cities but you would really have to invest in the promotions which can be done if you have a lare military-industrial complex

>>149496
>>150695
thats litteraly the best part you 3 city korea/babylon tradition-rationalism redditor
>>
>>150922
>just have them hold a line behind/around the enemy city so you can hit it with your siege
You never hold the line against an enemy city if they still have a an army. Wars of attrition in enemy territory never work unless you've got them outnumbered/outteched anyway.
I'm talking about VP, for the record. You could probably do that in regular V and do fine.
>>
>>150951
I usualy surround it or atleast have a line going partialy so i can siege, depends on the geography of the region and where the nearby towns are, also use maxed out recon unit to pillage roads and slow down enemy reinforcements.

Fuck vanila AI, compared to VP its like a zombie horde. I love VP because it actualy feels like you are doing a real war.
>>
>>150922
>thats litteraly the best part you 3 city korea/babylon tradition-rationalism redditor

Wat
>>
>>150922
Explain the strategy
>>
>>105859
Maybe try a different tree or is that the only thing your simple mind understands?
>>
>>145531
I have the full game.
>>
>>110427
>You think Chess has a "meta"
Chess has literally the biggest meta of any game in the entire world, it's centuries you could fill several libraries with books that have been written on it.
>>
>>151600
>>152955
got to go big, more towns, more resources more yields - go progress/fealty/industry and build a grand empire

ofcourse im talking about the vox populy mod where you can build a town in an area with no luxury resources and not have your civilization go the way of the dodo because of it
>>
>>150695
*laughs in Songhai*
>>
>>154042
The fuck does Songhai do differently with puppets?
>>
>>107966
to bad it's stuck it unoptimized memory leak hell that is Civ 5 in itself.
>>
>>105859
> I'm thinking this game sucks
"Haha. You are wrong"
>>
>>154049
This is a Civ made for wide puppet empire. Mud Pyramid Mosque (UB) also helps a bit. Get the Honour opener in the beginning and start rolling.
>>
File: bro grab.jpg (117 KB, 900x506)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>141315
The only way to have a meaningful (heh) friendship in Civ5 is to resuscitate a civ and keep it long enough to get all the benefits (which are usually mostly diplomatic). I do it mostly to create buffer zones or get rid of useless cities without razing them.
> here Theodora, have this useles shithole I conquered, no charge
>>
>>134882
>Consul Master Race
Dirty Lord Peasants seething
>>
The only thing I hate about civ5 is that the AI in multiplayer does nothing. They're noticeably worse than the singleplayer AI.

I play sometimes with one friend, who I am better than. We'll end up on different continents, and by the time we meet, I'm way ahead of him because I had basically no opposition.
>>
File: 20200916191924_1.jpg (391 KB, 1920x1200)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
Vox Rome drives me nuts. I want to like their bonuses, but their tech route makes me want to die.
Look at this shit. Here, get these three classical techs, without markets or libraries, then build your army from scratch because none of your UUs upgrade from anything, then FINALLY trudge your 2-move, untrained boys out to sloooowly attrition your neighbors to death. Who's almost certainly going to have skirmishers by now.
>>
>>154860
>Resurrect Bismarck.
>Immediately bully him by demanding his gems off.
>>
>>155596
just play normal, science is overrated af, build other things before librarires and dont worry about UUs they go obsolete at gunpowder and im pretty sure their unique abilities will stay on upgrade (maybe except for the legion builder one)
also why do you have 2 balista icons? i smell a mod conflict
>>
>>147799
Cavalry can't defend, infantry units you can stick on a good defending position and cycle them as needed, and they get 'free' exp, if you keep them alive at least. There's no reason not to have a bajillion horse units though, if you keep some free spaces (not empty, just mobile) in your infantry line, or leave strong open flanks for them to maneuver, they can destroy anything. UU horses tend to be extremely durable though and can get away with frontlining, in my experience Spain's conquistadors are strong enough to field almost exclusively (and can attack cities while retaining mobility, an extremely strong combo against civs behind on city defense techs).

This changes in the Renaissance I find, as every melee unit becomes a Tercio and has bonuses against cav, and become extremely spammable. You probably want to phase out the cavalry when you get to Lancers.
>>
Poor Venice always gets shafted and bullied, but I like them a lot
My favorite Civ V game ever was domination as Venice, in Vox Populi. You can use Merchants of Venice to found 3 cities, and they start with extra buildings, land and population. You can get 3 of them really early on. One from researching trade, one from the Pyramids and one from Honor. That's because when you'd get a settler, you'd get a Merchant of Venice instead.
After that point, I had a good headstart, as other civs had just plopped down their second cities, while I had 4 relatively large ones
>>
>>156410
>just play normal
You're missing the point and I ain't repeating it.

>also why do you have 2 balista icons? i smell a mod conflict
There is, that's from Vox E&D and 3/4 UC. Both are indispensable but do cause some oddities together. It's fine, though, nothing that bad.

>>156651
I'm gonna admit, I don't fight much around gunpowder. Early wars are best wars. Maybe that's part of it?
>>
>>157443
>I'm gonna admit, I don't fight much around gunpowder. Early wars are best wars. Maybe that's part of it?
Probably not. It's likelier I am the one mistaken, I just find cavalry to be relatively fragile if the opponent isn't also fielding large amounts of it. A single spearman can put down a horseman in terms of raw numbers. The horse's advantage is obviously it's mobility, but sometimes that's not a real tactical advantage, for example in a defensive situation (just picture Attila or Genghis as close neighbours), or small spaces (lots of mountains, coasts, ZoC or even cities).

Infantry can sit on it's ass and be an obstacle, take a beating and come out winning in terms of xp. They can be a wall, horses can't, and sometimes you need a wall. Cavalry is superior when you have a clear tactical advantage, lots of maneuvering opportunities and poor defensive positions for your opponent, but if I'm going against a wall, I'm betting on range. This is obviously all my limited experience with VP (I haven't gone past King), but I've never seen use for only cavalry unless it's particularly strong cavalry.
>>
>>105859
>try to win science victory but it takes too long
You're full of shit, OP

There is no way you rushed all of your science buildings and didn't mop the floor with the AI
>>
>>110404
EU4 just fails as a strategy game, because the optimal route is the same every game, every time, every map. There are no trade-offs, no different routes, no risk-benefit decisions, no changing strategies based on the map layout or neighbors or whatever, no civic decisions to manage etc. You just do your 4 city thing, research the same techs and win on deity, very rarely you have to make an actual strategic decision that isn't trivial.

If you just want to build up and and paint the map while roleplaying, you are looking for sandbox games, not strategy.
>>
The only reason I love this game so much is because of Venice. Wish Civ 6 had an equivalent.
>>
>>162350
It's a shame Venice, what is essentially supposed to be the one city super tall civ, only exists in the one game that's already centered around playing tall to begin with. Feels less special that way.

I definitely think Venice or something like it should be a series main stay. It's never going to be balanced but more meme gimmick civs would be a lot of fun.
>>
>>137055
honor aztec/songhai/germany starts are the most fun especially if you mod out the barbar xp cap
>>
File: 20200919153720_1.jpg (344 KB, 1920x1200)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
I fucking love modded VP Songhai. Has and does everything I want in a Civ and is exceedingly good at all of it.
>>
File: 20200919155625_1.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1200)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>164116
*I fucking love modded VP Songhai when the map remembers to spawn other civs.
>>
>>162510
Next to Venice, all other civs feel more like reskins or something
>>
>>162510

They're easily the comfiest play through. Started playing them last night and it's so nice to just build Wonders and make a perfect city instead of madly dashing for good clay.

There definitely needs to be more gimmicky Civs. Most of the time they all kind of play the same. The devs need to broaden out a bit and try something new. That's why Venice was so great.
>>
>>164356
>>164500
venice is fucking boring though, its end turn simulator to the max, everything bad about science victories except you are limited to one city that you can fully operate, and the double trade routes makes the game a joke
>>
>>105859
>don't go tall/rationalism on higher difficulties
>lose
>>
>>167764
>be bad
>lose
No mysteries here.
>>
>>167773
when you are shoehorned into the same exact strat in order to be competitive, its the game that is bad
>>
>after many long hours of laborious work and planning, finally beat Deity for the first time
>achievement doesn't load in Steam
>check my save again
>I was actually playing on Immortal instead
No!
>>
>>168469
Just like 1v1 Venice lmao
>>
Some modders are collabing for 10th anniversary of CivV and releasing a mod with 43 new civs and alt leaders for each existing civ.

Anyone here would be interested in testing it online?
>>
>>167830
When you're literally too dumb to succeed with anything but babby's first strat, it's you that is retarded.
>>
Whoops, wrong mod.
>>
>>168718
Sure.
>>
>>168512
Not cheating hard enough. Proper strategy involves having another AI allied on your team, to act as a shield when Venice declares war on you.
>>
Game is great fun with friends

You've got some, right?
>>
>>170873
Game is bizarre to play online with simultaneous turns
>>
>>168724
>failing to understand that a strategy game having one single best strategy is bad design
>calls other people retard in an autistic attempt at feeling superior
kys
>>
File: 20200921163227_1.jpg (382 KB, 1920x1080)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>105859
>he doesn't rate the early rush
ngmi
>>
>>170873
>Game is great fun with friends
What an achievement.
>>
File: 20200921083028_1.jpg (750 KB, 1920x1080)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
>>105859
>drop point into patronage on way to rationalism
>4x nearby militaristic city states that all have my religion
really fucking retarded, i built maybe 5 of the pictured units here in the classical era for defense against rome, everything else was gifted from city states
>>
>>173032
>GO BEYOND EARTH
I don't remember that option.
>>
>>173062
tie in for beyond earth. I remember pirating it and even for free it couldn't keep me interested, I couldn't tell you why though
>>
>>173068
You got filtered
>>
>>173046
So what you'd still get rekt by warmongers
>>
File: FARM.jpg (1.09 MB, 1920x1080)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
Playing VP and good god, India has some ludicrous farm potential

I could drive it up by an additional 3 food if I wanted to but I've already hit the max pop I can sustain without having workers
>>
>>173128
how? Rome tried fucking with me all game and couldn't do shit after their initial ballista/legion rush got memed on by le ebin composite bowman + trad city center combo
>>
>>125294
Most likely you don't have the latest civ v patch, the one with bison
>>
>>173286
That's not even India's final form. Try that in an area with room for some farm triangles. VP India is really strong; I think they overcompensated for their lack of missionaries a little too much.
>>
>easy
>playing monopoly against a two year old

>hard
>playing monopoly against a two year who starts off owning half the board and gets two rolls per turn
>>
>>174231
>life goals
>playing Monopoly against a two-year-old for Steam Achievements
>>
>>173046
there is never a reason not to upgrade your units since you pay the same 6 gold for you crossbowman and your mechanized infantry
>>
>>175199
was saving money for purchasing spaceship parts to end the game as fast as possible
>>
>>174231
Gonna beat the shit outta that 2 year old, cheating bastard
>>
>>171312
>he hasn't beaten Diety on a Liberty playthrough
>>
File: you.jpg (71 KB, 600x654)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Civ 6 is better
>>
File: SPAMIMAGE.1.jpg (1.33 MB, 2352x2218)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>177048
Newfag. Civ4 is the best
>>
File: 1423661046674.jpg (46 KB, 546x603)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>120584
>Been giving 6 a fair shake
>Doesn't blow me away but it's decent with some nice additions
>See this pic
>Instantly want to install 5 again
>Even if modded takes a while to load
Anyone else do this or something similar?
>>
File: disappointed.png (47 KB, 130x130)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>177097
>>177048
>playing anything but Civ3
>>
>>177280
I like the mechanics but the faggy art and extra retard ai kills 6 for me
>>
>>174222
Which do you think is best for a big empire with tons of population, India or China?
>>
>>177782
inca you can farm every tile
>>
>>177048
Dumb wojackposter
>>
>>105859
> Show me civ5
good memories
>>
File: frost_punk2.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>good story (when we have that in strategy game ? )
>addictive like hell
>most intense management game
>fucking hard
after wasting more then hundred of hours, I wonder who here also beat the game at extreme difficulty ?
>>
>>177782
India is better but it takes a while, China can grow quicker and is more wide friendly
>>
>>177782
India's pure growth. China's power is more then culture from their UA than the food.
What's your favorite India pantheon? That yields-on-growth one seems a natural fit, but got any others you prefer?
>>
>>179636
I'm a bit torn on this, but I like God-King since it gives multiple yields for every 5 citizens following your religion on your empire. India has tons of population, and will always have very few following foreign religions due to massive passive conversion
>>
>>179636
>culture from their UA
They changed it to gold, update your version
>>
>>179659
Traded out the best yield for the worst? God damn. No, I don't think I'll being doing that.
>>
>>179683
The argument was that getting that much culture in the early game is too overpowered
>>
>>180624
And that argument is correct, but I stand by my statement. Too big a nerf and too big a change in flavor.
I hate updating Vox anyway. Something always breaks.
>>
In both VP and vanilla, is it a good idea to delay a city's growth for a turn or two in order to get a bonus-on-growth building finished first? Like an aqueduct or VP council, for example.
>>
>>182755
>Been playing an older version of VP for years, tons of fun.
>Check for updates in case there's more content/a needed fix
>Weird rebalances, a long list of overhauls of the happiness system, and civs getting their UA gutted

I like the Ottoman UA, even if I rarely play them. And I don't even know why happiness needs to change so much. The version I have is fine, but ocassionally wide empires can feel little stifled, I admit. But it's nothing some foresight and the occassional check of city needs can't help with.
>>
>>109999
Fucking checked
>>
File: 1503438187319.png (41 KB, 400x416)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Why the fuck does VP crash so much?
>>
>>187690
Sounds like a hardware problem
>>184370
I play on epic so a turn or two is fine, especially after early game
>>
>>187690
If it crashes every couple of turns, it might be the events system.
>>
>>189888
>Hurr I play on ebin :D
OK retard
>>
>I'm playing wide
>my friend is playing tall
>my friend has snowballed 600 points ahead of me
Is there any way for me to ever catch up?
>>
>>193297
Kill him irl
>>
>>191411
embarrasing.
>>
>plays against AI
>AI doesn't know how to pressure a booming player properly
>win every time by booming
>calls the game bad
>calls other PvE players bad because they play the game in a way they find more fun
Yeah, I'm thinking OP is a retard
>>
>>145426
>what's the point of slugging through a bad start on 6 or 7 difficulty
I will never understand why some people can't play from behind.
I mean, sure a truly horrible start may be shit but it's fun to start handicapped every once in a while.
>>
>>105859
I play long games, with extended research mods and mods that end tech at certain ages (can only get to industrial for example), and have raging barbarians on so honor is viable. Nearly every game is large map with fewer civs so I can colonize new lands and explore the map
How autistic am I
>>
>>196665
You're masochistic, not autistic. Learn the difference, it could save your life.
>>
File: 1557846731760.png (84 KB, 480x480)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
Is VP really worth it? I uninstalled the game, but will prbably go back in the future.
>also, this is probably the oldest thread in the catalog now
>>
File: civ rev.png (215 KB, 256x320)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>extremely overpowered civ bonuses
>Chinese start with 3 pop in new cities
>can rush a settler with gold and move him on the same turn, plant another city down and rush another settler, rinse repeat until you're out of gold
>cover the entire map by 600AD
>>
>>177048
It is an improvement on V, but it still has its problems.

>>177097
My nigga

>>177296
III is fun and all, but its unbalanced as hell and suffered from a lack of coherent vision when being made.
>>
>>105859
I am surprised noone has brought up how OP range units are.. Particularly range units that can move more than 2.

Or how OP naval units are in SP
>>
>>202339
>in SP
In MP too. If England exists on the other team that it is a legitimately good idea to abandon any coastal start, even if it means a worse capital. He who commands the sea has command of everything.
>>
>>202355
yeah they can run away with it, but in SP even more so with how dumb the AI is for fog of war. A few frigates can take out a few AI frigates with no damage if you spot them first. Then by the time submarines with oneshot kills come the sea just becomes a production dump for any warring AI.
>>
>>202339
Air Power in V is pretty OP as well
>>
>>201202
>Actually balanced enough that non meta strategies like going very wide is viable.
>AI is very smart, may do feints and form coalitions against you
>Civs actually feel unique and versatile
>Loads more content
>No braindead mechanics like just dumping gold on CSs
>>
>>201202
VP turns a mediocre game into a decent one
>>
>>202799
I want to try it but im afraid i am too dumb for it and my winrate will drop from 30% to 0%
>>
>>174231
>implying I'm not the two year old
>>
>>203910
Drop down difficulty to warlord at first try, then climb steadily when you get the feel of things.
Domination is still the best way to win though, especially in king and above
>>
>>204337
>Domination is still the best way to win though, especially in king and above
That's just an unavoidable fact. When one strategy can potentially win in early medieval while every other one only has a realistic chance at modern or latter, there's really nothing you can do to balance that.

When does /vst/ like to fight? Fan of the early war to get an early advantage? The tried-and-true knight power spike? Sweep the coast with frigates? Do you just try to take advantage of whatever UU you've got?
>>
>>204033
It's a good thing /vst/ doesn't have jannies, or else you'd be banned for that post.
>>
Civ 7 when? I skipped 6. Hopefully they don't do the cartoon style again.
>>
Nu firaxis is so shit that it's better if they never make a civ 7
>>
>>204586
>When does /vst/ like to fight?
Whenever the opportunity presents itself or the early rush if your UU allows it. I like combined naval-land offensives.
>>
I tried to get back into Civ 5 as a garbage low IQ player but even Prince/King victories are too easy to achieve
how practically true is >>174231 ?
>>
File: 1598679782680.jpg (100 KB, 314x347)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
Am I really retarded if I barely can win on Prince?
>>
>>205570
There's nothing quite as satisfying as a blitz of simultaneous coastal bombardment and troops landing to take the cities.
>>
>>201202
I've yet to see better AI in another 4x strategy game.
>>
>>206447
Post civ, map, and strategy.
>>
>>204586
Late classical if warmonger, rennaisance if not
I like to know I have infrastructure to keep up a long grinding war beforehand.
>>
>>204586
I think a really ambitious 4X dev could figure out a way to have a cultural or scientific victory occur at earlier eras. Like come up with various technologies that you could try and race to research first, but become obsolete as a win condition if the tech becomes too commonplace among other civs for it to matter. Like if you're a caveman that's already figured out how to make steel while everyone's still swinging around copper and rocks, that's basically as much of a science victory as being the first civ to launch a colonization rocket.

I don't know how well it could really work in practice but some attempt at an actual viable victory condition that isn't just intentionally refusing to do domination could be interesting to see.
>>
>>206808
That's why I like knights. Early enough that you've got time for whatever territory you win to start contributing and snowballing, late enough that you've got enough infrastructure to back them up. They're also really fast and win wars quickly, especially vs people still in classical.
That's kinda why I don't like renaissance warfare. It's slow and grindy with a focus on infantry and siege, and VP doesn't really want you fighting slow and grindy wars.
>>
>>206986
>It's slow and grindy with a focus on infantry and siege
It's basically because Tercios homogenize armies a lot. There are no soft spots as Tercios have good numbers, are strong against cavalry, and can guard against range. But UU can still mess them up.
>>
>>207018
Yeah, exactly. It sucks and it stays that way for quite awhile. Water game gets a lot better at that point, at least.
>>
>>204586
Frigate Brigade, rise up!

>3+ frigates bombarding a city until a privateer can swoop in with the safe attack
Chef's kiss!
>>
What mods do I need for civ5?
>>
>>207299
VP, infoaddict

JFD also did some, but he seems to hve migrated to civ 6
>>
>>207714
Last I checked he's ditched Civ 6 until it's development cycle is finished. I guess he got sick of his expansive mods being made incompatible every few months, to say nothing of the reduced modding support 6 has.
>>
>>204586
Generally speaking the best time to push is after upgrading 5-10 Compy boys to Crossbows in my experience, or right after you get Artillery and can toss out a bunch of them. Artillery is basically unstoppable against the AI.
>>
>>206872
How would a player possibly get ahead early on, enough to be handed out a victory? With the Civ formula, that's either massive skill disparity, luck, or conquest
>>
Anything other than DV is boring.
>>
Messed around with modded VP Greece and am bored enough to dump my thoughts.

For all the pomp and circumstance of 5% strength for every CS ally, the best part of the UA is the faster influence recovery. I did not realize going in just how much more this would let you tribute. Really, really powerful with Honor early on and given how much more early advantages count over late ones, probably the best part of the UA.
Hoplites are kinds meh. +3 combat strength, Discipline, Great Generals II, these are all nice to have, especially so early, but none of it's enough to make them really punch above their weight class. Still struggle against tough cities, still can't handle walls, still have trouble catching chariots and skirmishers, still lose to swordsmen, and still 2-move slowpokes. They're better than regular spears at spear things, but you'll still need catapults and medics and all that. High early strength is good for tributing, but again, slow. Not great.
E&D put Companion Calvary back in with a cheap-as-free decision, one magistrate at Horseback Riding and you can build them normally, and they're nuts. Great Generals II like Hoplites, but also 17 strength and +1 movement. That movement makes a huge difference; in open terrain they can move in from outside a melee unit's range, hit him, and still retreat back out. 17 strength is higher than a spearman with their anti-cav bonus, and higher than a swordsman if you ignore the free shock promotion. Effectively uncounterable. Fantastic at barb hunting and tributing too, disgustingly so. Could probably even storm cities if you gave them the drill line. Hideously overpowered, and a good demonstration over why the VP modding community tends to er away from UU horseman.
>>
>>212321
Agora's (Markets, +2 culture, +25% training diplomats, gives diplomatic units a promotions that gives +2 gold to your capital when they're expended) are probably more impactful than I'm giving them credit. Didn't build a lot of emissaries, but did build plenty of the markets themselves, and that +2 culture adds up. Noticed puppets really liked building them, which is good; they need all the culture they can get.
Acropoli are a kinda weird. Gives huge bonuses for kills, +25 era-scaling culture for units from it's city +5 border growth every else, but it's far removed on the tech tree from your military stuff. Amphitheaters are pretty expensive buildings too. Probably won't make it in time for most of your UU warfare. Those bonuses are pretty crazy, though. That's as much culture as a barb camp! To be fair, at this point you'll have a bunch of veterans and can start playing up the strength-for-allies part of the UA, so it's probably fine, but still a shame it comes past the civ's golden period.

Nobody is reading this.
>>
>>212321
>E&D put Companion Calvary back in with a cheap-as-free decision
Neat. I really gonna learn how to make my own MP modpacks as it's how I prefer to play VP.
>>212323
>Agoras/Acropolis
One of these are from the 3&4 Uniques mod? I really do like these unique buildings though. Much more flavor than vanilla Greece...
>>
>>105859
>he doesn't play vox populi
>>
>>212347
Agoras are from 3&4 uniques. Other new unique is a gatling gun, of all things. Would prefer an archer or catapult, I remember a Peltast from some non-VP mods that would fit here, but I guess having three UUs active at once would be a little absurd.

>I really gonna learn how to make my own MP modpacks as it's how I prefer to play VP.
Hell, I don't know how to do that, I'm just installing it all manually and probably breaking something anyway. Know for sure that my VP is woefully out of date too.
>>
>>212452
Iirc the gatling gun uu is to spread out the uniques between eras
Otherwise you get a spicy early game and lackluster "next turn" spam late game
>>
about to play a new vp game
Any suggestions?
>>
>>124155
>>131020
I love Archaeology for keeping my interest in the endgame. Otherwise you're right it's a slog.
>>
>>201202
Aside from anything else i appreciate the additional luxury resources.
>>
>>201207
The perfect simplified civ for mobile.
>>
>>206447
I'm in the same boat. On the other hand I'm only interested in the early to mid game. Archaeology is the coolest thing about late game for me, everything else is tedious.

Still thinking about transitioning to civ vi.
>>
>>213844
When in doubt, I just go for a random civ
VP is great with basically every civ, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try them all
>>
VP crashes for you guys?
crashes rarely on my old and busted machine, and always because of an event or a mod conflict (I have a lot, but probably the ethnic models for VP one)
>>
>>213898
>Still thinking about transitioning
Good luck <3 uwu
>>
>>105859
>playing singleplayer
Also this >>107876
>>
>>129566
>>129616
>Stop playing the game to win.
So what your saying is that Civ V is only fun if you stop treating it as a strategy game, where have I heard that before?

>http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/bnwreview.html
>But no, they're just having fun experiencing the ambiance of the game, they don't have any particular goals or strategy in mind. Civ5's passive style of gameplay is a perfect fit for this sort of player. You can sit back and keep hitting next turn without doing much of anything; eventually, the game will keep popping up to give you free rewards, and tell you how awesome you are for playing the game. Remember, Civ5 is a game where stuff largely happens to you, not the other way around. It's the exact opposite of a game like Civ4, where if you don't MAKE things happen, nothing WILL happen.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.