[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>every clan playable
>3k diplomacy
>more provinces and more clans
>each unit has its own mon like in shogun 1
>each clan has a unique unit roster
>armies are larger and have more units
>bigger and more battlefields
>huge castles based on real life
>siege weapons
>actual good naval gameplay
>imjin war expansion
>mongol invasion expansion
>multiple start dates (e.g onin war, sekigahara, nagashino)
>machine learning ai
>hokkaido and okinawa
>more battle realism

ca literally just has to follow this and it will be the best tw so far.
>>
>>1055591
Meh, that's retarded, especially given you want more clans, too
>siege weapons
Literally wrong country
Can we simply CUT naval combat from Shogun? It's like making a game about, dunno, Hussite Wars and put naval combat into it. What fucking for?
So we can watch their fleet be taken out by bad weather and that's it?
>machine learning ai
Keep dreaming. I am dreaming about it for over two decades
>hokkaido and okinawa
Only if we are playing FotS 2, otherwise it is beyond retarded
>more battle realism
Define "realism" first

Also, CA and we, too, are all better off without them trying to make S3.
>>
>>1055600
Oh, and in case of
>B-but S1 had Mongol Invasion
And it was fucking retarded
>>
File: 3e3.jpg (92 KB, 488x516)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1055600
>So we can watch their fleet be taken out by bad weather and that's it?
>>
File: 56467847847744.jpg (32 KB, 620x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1055591
>>
>>1055591
CA know that they can't milk history autists same way as WH fanboys. New historical TW never ever. At best we might see Med3. Maybe.
>>
>>1055591
What we really need is an Imjin war DLC
>>
>>1055591
Total war games are like pokemon, they don't progress from release to release they just shuffle things around.
>>
>>1055591
wow i sure love faction variety
will i unify japan as green sword blob?
or will i unify japan as red cavalry blob?
maybe i will unify japan as orange spear blob?
or better yet, i will unify japan as white musket blob!
so many choices
>>
File: 1640459908089.png (408 KB, 420x597)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
>>1055591
>every clan playable
doable but tedious, some clans were never disloyal to their overlords, some were extremely passive etc.
>more provinces and more clans
doable and needed, every historical province being one actual province was retarded
>each unit has its own mon like in shogun 1
needless, there were some variations in a clan's mon but it's beyond needed
fucking how, all clans relied in 70% on ashigaru and then on samurais, some unique units is enough, not to mention that japanese didn't have enough iron to experiment with weapons, go back to your warhammer
needless, Sekigahara had between 160k to 200k soldiers, just scale it down as the upper limit and we're fine
>bigger and more battlefields
more is fine, but shogun 2's battlefield sizes were fine
>huge castles based on real life
castles at all to begin with, what we had in shogun 2 was a fucking joke
>siege weapons
wrong country nigga and even then LITERALLY FUCKING ALL sieges when given the opportunity were more about starving out the enemy rather than assaults
it was fine as it was, this really isn't a naval-heavy war
>imjin war expansion
1:1 war lmao
it's fucking terrible to make a game about
slightly needless, would require several different tech trees and fucking hundreds of new clans
>machine learning ai
i wish but it's not possible in near future
>hokkaido and okinawa
japan didn't give a single fuck about either of them until meiji
>more battle realism
define realism

overall bad post probably made from someone who's never played shogun games and doesn't know anything about the setting either
>>
>>1055608
From all alt-hist scenarios, the "Mongol invasion fleet reaches Japan" is easily among top 10 most retarded, overused, over-represented and flat-out not interesting.
>>
>>1055619
>New historical TW never ever
That's unironically a great thing.
Here is some /vr/ wisdom for you: it is better for series to die or be abandoned, than watch it dragged through one reboot to another, and from one overhaul and simplification to another.
I'm fine with Shogun 2. I genuinely don't want or need Shogun 3. Because I just know how many things can and will be fucked up in the process.
>>
>>1055658
>doable and needed, every historical province being one actual province was retarded
How is sticking to, you know, historical provinces, bad, given that you won't gain shit from fragmenting them some more.

Other than that, I guess we agree on everything else.
>>
>every clan playable

For €300 while taking several years to complete the releases, hahahahaha
>>
>>1055669
game provinces =/= actual provinces
it sounds good on paper and normally i'd push for that but, well, you know, daimyos were fighting for control over said provinces and just giving control over these to one instead of representing the actual state is my problem
one city per province and how it just fails to represent the actual state is the whole point
>>
I'd rather have a Medieval 3, but we all know CA is incapable of making such a game without injecting pozzed vaxxed politics into it.
>>
>>1055710
Thing is, knowing CA, they would apply post-Rome 2 retardation that was just fucking horrible. I would rather have "historical provinces as provinces" than some bullshit akin to "you have this fuck-huge province divided into sub-units, but only main city is important anyway".
>>
>>1055591
Scrap that shit
Remove the 1 army = 1 general bullshit
Make an actual good optimization
Remove hit points, heroes and all that gay shit
Oh wait that’s just Shogun2
>>
>>1055728
... do you even vaguely understand the words you are using? Or you are on the double-plus-ungood stage?
>>
>>1055591
The only start dates needed are Pre-Okehazama, Post-Honnoji (with playable Hashiba, Akechi and Shibata) and Sekigahara
>>
>>1055600
>Literally wrong country
Japan used siege equipment like any other place with fortifications.
The people all scaling the fortifications with their spiderman powers is just as ridiculous as plate armored knights scaling castle walls in Europe.

>Only if we are playing FotS 2, otherwise it is beyond retarded
Okinawa was conquered after the Korean invasion, which is definitely fair game in Shogun 2.
>>
>>1055817
>The point
>(You)
It's not that climbing the fort walls is fine. It's that adding siege weapons they DIDN'T FUCKING HAVE is retarded, ALONG with climbing the fucking walls.
What the game lacks is proper, Japanese castle, along with how insane it is to try to storm one. But that wouldn't work for the game, for you would be losing 10x the troops to the number of garrison, and the garrison itself wouldn't even need a support of an actual army to defend itself.
>Muh Okinawa
Literally irrelevant until 1879. Unless you are genuinely after an "invasion" that consisted of landing a contingent of troops in 1609 and telling the local aristocracy they are now vassals of Satsuma clan, then packing your soldiers and leaving, since the resistance was so minimal, there wasn't even a single skirmish, not to mention battle.

Seriously, this shit is like entry level Japanese history. You aren't even required to do any sort of intense reading to know this. How the fuck then you are still clueless?
>>
>>1055591
>>each clan has a unique unit roster
this is asking way too much for the setting, you're better off having extremely impactful modifiers to differentiate clans.
>>
>>1055591
I thought I wanted this until I got TW Warhammer. Every army feels more gimmicky and shallow than the Shogun 2 armies.

What I want is for individual units to develop a personality as it gains experience. Things like traits, specializations, special abilities etc. Like for example, if units keep fighting in the winter or during night, they'll develop affinities for that. If you always use the same few units as the tip of the spear during sieges they'll get various bonuses or abilities to help with that.

Thay way you naturally develop a unique army that you're attached to.
>>
>>1055591
>every clan playable
Dumbest shit I've seen all year.
>>
This will forever be a dream
>>
>>1055591
>>every clan playable
>>each clan has a unique unit roster
Unironically pick one
>>
File: 6468466874447.jpg (24 KB, 480x562)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Shogun 2 is good because it's focused on what it wants to be. There are no dead features within the game, everything that's here serves a specific purpose both during the campaign and during the battles. Concise features and clear gameplay which allowed them to spend more resources on every bit of the game. It's not perfect and can be improved upon but if you believe that "more is better" you're dead wrong.
>>
>>1056417
I'd go a step further and say S2 could have drop few features it had.
Over a decade later, I'm still under the impression of "We have naval combat, because Empire and Napoleon had it". It doesn't fit the gameplay, it doesn't fit the setting and due to the way how the ships operate, is an absolute tedium for no real benefit or gain.
Portuguese should be a simple event, like in S1, rather than a literal ship travelling around the map you need to contact with when it reaches your area gorillion years later.
Either cut the trade nodes entirely, or spread them differently, or add more of them, because in current form, the outside trade is just retarded and the AI genuinely struggles with it. And yet again it's done on the "We have nodes, because Emperor and Napoleon had those"
>>
>>1056452
I have to disagree, I like the naval combat even with how simplistic it is. And the map assymetry from the trade nodes create some interesting interaction.
Those, along with sieges and diplomacy are the features I think could be expanded on.
>>
>>1055901
>It's that adding siege weapons they DIDN'T FUCKING HAVE
Japanese had battering rams, mantles, covered vehicles (the same concept as a ram, but solely for moving soldiers, these even got used at Sekigahara), traction trebuchets, cannons, cloud ladders and siege towers.
And for someone who's talking about "entry level Japanese history", you seem to have a fairly warped perception of Japanese castles. The mountain castles aren't the only kind they have, and while you probably wouldn't try dragging a siege tower up those slopes, that's where all the mantlets and plain old ladders come in.
>>
>>1056492
>And the map assymetry from the trade nodes create some interesting interaction.
If by 'interesting interaction' you mean 'Kyushu dominates everything to the point it's just easier to just abandon your homeland for it as Uesugi', I agree.
>>
>>1056504
>Missing the point this fucking hard
>>
>>1056504
I never said anything about mountain castles, you projecting shit. In fact, the main issue Shogun has since the first one is that ALL you have are mountain castles, but in the same time WITHOUT what makes them good at defending (pro tip: it's not the terrain itself). And again, which part of "adding siege weapons they didn't have" you don't understand?
It's like you read what you want to read, that what is written, and then are surprised when people call you retarded
>>
>>1056532
>And again, which part of "adding siege weapons they didn't have" you don't understand?
The part where you're implying Japanese did not have siege weapons. Which is horseshit of the highest order imaginable.
Unless you're talking about Shogun 1/2 not having those siege weapons (sans cannons and trebs in 2), but that makes no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>1055591
>modern ca

lmaoooooooo
>>
No more chinky slant eyed games, please. I want my warhammer goods.
>>
>>1056565
Are you ESL or something? Or just genuinely can't read?
>>
>>1057037
Man he's not the only one, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1055591
>machine learning ai
>ai learns and starts using engine exploits and game bugs because it can't distinguish between intended and unintended gameplay
>>
>>1057288
That would actually be a good thing. Not because the AI would improve, but players couldn't be using variety of exploits due to counter-expoits and without need to simply patch things out. It's a win-win for everyone.
>>
>>1057288
>cybernetic intelligence will always be perfectly balanced
>listen to the sounds of Yorkshire tea brewing, human
>>
>>1055631
Nobody told you to recruit one unit all the time retard
>>
>>1055591
>machine learning ai
This is not good in either case. If the AI is not dogshit, then CA has sunk a lot of money in developing an algorithm that is dogshit. If the AI is competent then the only way to beat it will be by either being numerically or technologically superior or by outwitting it which will require the players to be competent. Which they're not.
>>
>>1055591
>make competent AI
>playerbase drops by 90% because TW fans have room temperature IQ
What's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>1057498
This
>>
>>1055591
CA will never make a good game again. It's time to let go.
>>
File: miss.gif (273 KB, 400x400)
273 KB
273 KB GIF
>>1057488
>>
>>1055619
Nah, you're more like to get a remake of medieval 2 like we did with Rome
>>
>>1058165
more like remaster the game
honestly that's all i need
modernize the game and unlock more options for modders, nothing else needs to be done
>>
>>1058324
Never understood the medieval 2 enjoyers, every time I tried to play this game it looked like soldiers were on the moon living in low gravity.
>>
>>1058334
Maybe try it again when you're not high
>>
>>1055591
>TCA touching Shogun again
Not only will that not happen, but they couldn't even fucking fix their cash cow's engine.
THEY GOT MILLIONS FROM WARHAMMER...and reinvested NONE OF IT.
>>
File: shimonoseki.jpg (55 KB, 420x277)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1055600
>It's like making a game about, dunno, Hussite Wars and put naval combat into it. What fucking for?
Sounds like someone's salty about fighting Saga
>>
File: miss the point.jpg (6 KB, 235x206)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1058432
Sounds like someone is retarded
>>
>>1058334
I've got a theory that people enjoying M2 are a combination of two factors:
- release state of Empire, along with it using both new engine AND requiring that brand new thing called Steam that didn't work properly most of the time made M2 look far better than it was by comparison
- and sheer weight of its meme status as a "last good game", parroted mindlessly, by people who didn;t even play it once

In reality, it's a red-haired stepchild of R1 and has variety of issues and shitty mechanics, but somehow it's treated like best thing since the invention of sliced bread
>>
>>1058661
>6 years old
>brand new
>>
>>1058675
Nta, but ask me how I know you have no idea how early Steam even looked, not to mention operated.
Also, it's even older
>>
>>1058165
>remake of medieval 2
Thta¨s not exactly new TW is it?
>>
>>1058661
It's because of mods.
>>
>>1058683
6 years old at the time of release of empire
>>
>>1057318
yeah but it would fuck with the immersion of the setting
>>
File: 1647708555575.gif (1.72 MB, 600x440)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>1057498
>Ai is stupid enough to charge head on into yari walls and sally out of their fortresses if you bring a single cannon to the fight
>People on this very board still complain that the game is too hard on anything past normal difficulty
Yeah, the fanbase isn't ready to deal with a more competent opponent.

>>1058324
>Med 2 gets remastered
>Gets negative reviews because it's the "same game with bad graphics", le-old-game-good sperg makes a video vilifying it due to his inability to navigate through menus
>Is abandoned regardless of how good it is outside of a few modders porting old content or people who never played the original game
>>
>>1058675
>>1058692
>t. zoom zoom zoom
>>
>>1058661
I will never not be amazed at people holding the unit collision up in that game as if it was some gold standard for the series.
Its barely better than empire and worse than every game afterward.
>>
>>1058661
yea
and you can see similar state with S2 enjoyers
also consider that for many M2 was first TW(same for S2) and they have nostalgia glasses for it
>>
>>1058994
S2 is at least a good game with so-so battle mechanics.
M2 just simply isn't good.
>>
>>1059024
both are meh
the only saving grace for s2 is that its extremely polished
still its on this turd engine so its not good
>>
>>1055591
This is just retarded, unless you really want to force CA into making another fantasy game. How can you demand more realism and at the same time believe that every clan should have a completely unique roster?

Naval combat is shit and will always be shit.

>machine learning ai
This is a meaningless buzzword and reveals you for being an absolute brainlet who enjoys talking about things he doesn't understand.
>>
File: animU.png (3.53 MB, 1280x720)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB PNG
>>1059031
>Game is polished and well-done
>This means it's the same tier as half-baked clusterfuck
Ok, you're just baiting, here, grab some
>>
>>1059034
its that just even polished can't save it from being medicore game(at best), polished turd is still a turd
early TW wasn't much polished but let excessive and easy modding which was its saving grace
>>
File: levels.png (44 KB, 683x172)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>1059037
>S2 is a turd, because I say so!
>It's the same tier as M2, because reasons!
So what's even the angle of your bait? TW always being good, Shogun 2 being horrible (despite being literally the peak of their games) or what?
>>
>>1059051
*always being bad
>>
>>1059051
both are shit
s2 is just more shiny one
>>
>>1059051
only first 3 TW games were and still are good
rest are shit
>>
>>1055591
>Trusting nu-CA to do anything right

Best case scenario is they just copy the duel mechanics from 3k to shogun 3. Worst case they make it a mobile game and add niggers samurai
>>
>>1059057
M1 was shit, thou.
>>
>>1059081
it was fine after few fast fixes
also mods
>>
File: What am I reading.gif (1.37 MB, 430x360)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>1059087
>M1
>Mods
>>
>>1059087
>>1059094
Unless, of course, you are talking about that really fucking awkward 30 years war mod, but that had stability of an uranium cake.
>>
File: battle wagons.png (456 KB, 1024x768)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
>>1059094
>he don't know
like seriously?
it have plenty of mods(quality wary)
mostly medieval but also Pike and Musket, ancient, even hyperborean one
>>
>>1059100
>>1059095
>>
>>1059144
https://www.moddb.com/games/medieval-total-war/downloads
>>
File: 1648796388762.gif (1.48 MB, 514x713)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB GIF
>>1058661
Tranny spotted
>>
File: 654684844164.jpg (32 KB, 600x600)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1059037
S2's battles are close to flawless. Not many issues regarding unit behaviour. Perhaps they lack a bit of variety which is up to one's tastes. If you dislike how the game works you probably just dislike total war in general.
>>
>>1059191
Remember times when calling people faggots was insulting?
No, you don't, you fucking zoomershit.
>>
>>1059520
You will never be a woman
>>
>>1057119
>Literally wrong country for siege weapons
This you bro?

>>1059191
Got em!
>>
Name a more overrated TW
>>
>>1059803
WH and Med 2
>>
>>1059904
>Med 2
Cope
>>
>>1055591
>Shogun 3
>50% of people are POC
>Woman warrior even more OP
>Clans are more inclusive (toward colonial powers)
I will buy your game
>>
>>1058691
Except for all the good mods being just Rome 1 mods put into Med 2 engine

>>1059803
Med 2
Nothing comes even close to how much overrated it is
>>
>>1058785
People on this board are predominately zoomers and PDXrones, so expecting any level of competence from them is a mistake by itself
>>
Why is Med 2 so hated?
>>
>>1059971
It isn't hated. It's overrated, and people always pointed and keep pointing that out. In the same time the only people still wanking to Med 2 as some sort of golden standard are zoomers who try to fit in, so they just repeat the old memes.
>>
File: 1648172529569.jpg (99 KB, 600x600)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>Name an overrated TW
>Med 2
>Wtf why is it so hated???
>>
>>1055591
>machine learning ai
Within 1 week there will be people training it to only make formations that look like a cock and balls
>>
>>1059963
You forgot legendary lord Yasuke the black samurai voiced by Michael B Jordan.
>>
>>1059992
>>1059995
XY chromosomes
>>
File: thumbs up girl.gif (1.26 MB, 322x644)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
>>1060560
Better XY than 47, sweetie
>>
Medieval 2 is by far, the greatest Total War.
>>
>>1062359
>t. never even played it
>>
>>1059963
rent fucking free
>>
>>1063078
quite literally the opposite
>>
>>1062579
Trump won. Get over it.
>>
For me it's:
>actually go back to trying to simulate instead of abstract/smoke and mirrors
>go all in on the fact that medieval battles wouldn't really be all that fast paced or exciting or chaotic because how tf do you C2 an army that isn't very well disciplined and slow moving?
>no more dlc ever
this will never happen in my lifetime
>>
>>1055591
Japan is boring setting
>>
>>1063286
>no more dlc ever
My fucking sides
Unless this whole industry literally goes under and stays dead for at least a decade, this will never happen. Not just to TW, I'm talking all vidya.
>>
>>1055591
I had these ideas for a Shogun 3 game let me know if you find them interesting
>generals have retinues like the Three Kingdoms game
>in these retinues you have customisable soldiers but only samurai, and only five or so small but very elite units
>they gain experience over time making the chevrons more worthwhile, a high level samurai unit would heem a low level
>you can change their loadouts, armour, mounts, weapony
>naginata spears, bows, no dachi, etc
>specific clans have bonuses traits, Takeda are better riders for instance, oda have guns, etc, some fight to the death and never route, some get bonuses during ambushes and so on
>the samurai are bound to their general as retainers
>except the faction leader can demand a samurai unit join his retinue, but only the faction leader, this might come at a loss of loyalty depending on the general's personality
>ashigaru however are unbound and can be moved freely between generals, and they are cheap, numerous but very weak

The idea is to make the samurai very unique and the focal point of the army with the ashigaru being complimentary to the elite force. since the clans will mostly have the same units, I think this creates a possibility of uniqueness in each run through

what do you guys think?
>>
>>1055591
How to make a Shogun TW actually interesting:
>make the map include much of east and SE Asia so that there's some unit variety and greater strategic objectives
damn... I solved it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.