[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are the must plays of this genre? I want something that has the following, I'm a picky nigger, just so you know.
>active and passive skills should be the predominant way of upgrading units (Sort of like Troubleshooter)
>very minor itemization would be fine (unlike Troubleshooter)
>emphasis on flanking, elevation, using combined tactics, etc to make or break fights, units' stats shouldn't be the most important factor in winning.
>morale and veterancy systems would be neat
>Ironman mode would be good, especially if it's balanced in a what way that losing units won't make you want to savescum.
>any kind of visuals are fine
>smaller scale of battles, so no Total War stuff.
I've already played and liked XCOM (only the first one), Jagged Alliance 2, nuXCOM 1 and 2, Troubleshooter, Gears Tactics, Battle Brothers, that's what I can remember of the top of my head, I want games with a lot of depth if possible.
>>
>>1052000
Field of Glory 2
>>
>>1052000
>emphasis on flanking, elevation, using combined tactics, etc to make or break fights, units' stats shouldn't be the most important factor in winning.
Just cut out the middle-man and boil it down to the puzzle aspect with Into the Breach.
>>
>>1052000
Vantage master
>>
>>1052079
If we're talking old anime stuff Gungnir is pretty cool. It has this adaptive difficulty system where the better you do in one mission the more rewards you get, but the harder the next one is gonna be. The difficulty increase stacks and carries over thorought the whole campagn. And the game's less dependent on raw stats than most SRPGs.
>>
I wish I could recommend Pathway. The first few hours made it look like a hidden gem but it turned into a disappointment real quick.
>>
Incubation: Time Is Running Out
>>
File: Mechanicus.jpg (124 KB, 616x353)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1052000
Have you tried any Warhammer based strategy games? They have 2 that I really like.
This one and...
>>
File: Mordheim_CotD_art.jpg (135 KB, 460x215)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>1052447
This one.
I wouldn't say that they match what you're looking for perfectly, but they are very close.
>>
File: Necromunda.jpg (139 KB, 616x353)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>1052448
Also, I just wanted to warn you, avoid this one like the plague.
>>
>>1052000
x piratez
>>
>>1052000
whatever happened to metal slug anyways? nothing new?
>>
>>1052000
Jagged Alliance 1, Deadly Games
PSX FF Tactics
>>
>>1052000
expeditions: conquistador
black guards
>>
>>1052221
>battle isle incubation
God that game was awesome.
Thanks for reminding me anon know I must play it again.
>>
>>1052079
Played the shit out of VM and loved it, but these days I'd just go play Wesnoth, it's superior in every way.

As for OP, I'd recommend Eador Genesis, Fantasy General and (real-time) Warhammer Mark of Chaos. The latter is kind of janky but I really love it
>>
>>1052660
the combat system in e:c is pretty barebones imo. just play it earlier this year after playing battle brothers and i was shocked how much more depth there was to the latter. pretty much every single combat encounter just boils down to a dps race with fairly deterministic attacks and far far less interesting skills. i think it is mostly due to the lack of distinguishing features between different units aside from class and maybe traits. also the ai isnt very smart, being either too cowardly or too suicidal.
tldr i dont think its a good recommendation for op since the draw of the game is more the setting and the overworld than the actual tactical combat
>>
The new King Arthur game is surprisingly good.
>>
>>1053005
It is but your screenshot is from some old ass beta or a promotional image distributed among shills.
Anyway, I loved the first run until attrition made me want to start over at the start of act 4, but on the second campaign I got a combination of items and characters that completely broke the game and the last 20 missions I've been exploding all enemies every fight before any of them does a single action, so the balance stands to be tweaked a bit.
>>
>>1052506
Other than that OP image, which is the upcoming Metal Slug Tactics, nothing (I think).
>>
File: 1647603742565.png (900 KB, 692x1024)
900 KB
900 KB PNG
>>1053277
checked
not that anon but Ive been playing and I think the combat is kinda lacking imo
The characters are pretty dull but man this game really opened my eyes to Arthurian fantasy

its so god damn comfy to go on adventures with all your Christian brothers and bring the faith to all corners of Avalon
I watched Excalibur today after playing the game for a while and I realized that the ending of that movie is almost literally the opening cutscene of the game
I also have a whole new appreciation of the knight aesthetic, especially the the mail coifs
>>
>>1052000
>active/passive skills
>itemization
idk what any of those mean but the shadowrun RPG games are pretty similar in combat style. Not the nameless NPC raising from tactics ogres of yore though. You should definitely play tactics ogres/FFT though.
>>
>>1053541
>it's an actual game
ho shit i thought it was fanart
>>
>>1053547
I was actually thinking the same thing, the gameplay became very meh after I broke it, but the knight aesthetic is something I didn't know I need. And Galahad's recruitment mission solved the grail question unexpectedly well, I assumed it's just going to be a relic item that goes in the defender trinket slot
Easter Europeans get the charm and appeal of this much better than the anglos, for some reason.
>>
>>1052000
OP you might want to check Wartales.
>>
>>1053887
I second this. Just got it and really like it. It’s got everything OP asked for except elevation I think. But combat is good and the game is extremely comfy
>>
>>1053887
>>1053970
Isn't that in early access?
>>
>>1052006
Field of glory medieval is pretty good too.
>>
>>1052019
Second this, Into the Breach is fun mech vs kaiju action that scratches the puzzle itch
>>
Any games like X-Com with permadeath? Aside from Xenonauts
>>
File: file.png (1.54 MB, 1600x800)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
Anyone here tried this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/699170/Fell_Seal_Arbiters_Mark/
>>
>>1054881
Played on release. Found it to be a very mediocre clone of FF tactics.
>>
>>1054881
FFT clone but without the SOVL
>>
>>1052000
Have you tried chess?
It is a very popular turn based tactics game
>>
>>1054893
It's also for losers.
>>
>>1054880
Gear Tactics.
>>
>>1054880
Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 if you're not OP
>>
File: 14TP strongk.png (175 KB, 636x471)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
if you are autistic enough, WinSP MBT/WW2 are based historical ones, you can have a campaign in which units gain veterancy over time (pic related tank kept wrecking germans for a long time until it got destroyed by a concealed AT gun), morale and suppression are major components of the game, combined tactics and using terrain are absolutely crucial. Skills aren't really a thing, stats are.
It's 2D, hex based and free, although with a clunky and ancient interface.
AI can be a bit retarded sometimes though, I do tend to beat them regularly, but you can adjust a lot of numbers and settings to customize the game to what you want.
>>
>>1054881
not as good story, but does really good on the tactics gameplay.
>>
File: Othercide gameplay.png (1.84 MB, 1920x1080)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>1052000
OP you might like Othercide
>>
>>1054880
Battle brothers
>>
>>1054822
It is, so if that's a dealbreaker just wishlist it and try it when it's out.
I did a playthrough of the EA content once and uninstalled, will reinstall once it's finished and play it again.
>>
>>1054881
It is OK, nothing special but nothing bad either. Played it, beat it, don't feel like starting again. Good for one playthrough.
>>
>>1053823
Yeah, supposed to release later this year, there's very little gameplay thus far unforunately, but it looks good visually at the very least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQDNgkQi7E
>>
>>1054893
no its a memorization game and absolutely haram
>>
>>1052448
Mordheim is fucking great, but not for pussies.
No save scumming, some opaque probability mechanics, and a very different approach to moving in the environment.
Mechanicus sucks ass though.
>>
>>1052451
I was a closed alpha tester on Necromunda and it was a shitfight. They tried to build a ‘simultaneous movement’ system and pissed away a lot of resources on it before abandoning because they couldn’t make it work. Members of the team were quitting left and right and their replacements had no idea what they were doing. A real shame because some of the in-game assets were amazing.
>>
>>1056213
Mechanicus is comfy but shallow.
Mordheim is miserable and shallow.
>>
>>1052000
Valkyria Chronicles
>>
>>1056521
Tried getting into this... something about cutesy graphics and teenage girls repairing ww1 tanks and leading the local resistance army is off putting to me.. does it get better after the initial nonsense?
>>
>>1056533
>something about cutesy graphics and teenage girls repairing ww1 tanks and leading the local resistance army is off putting to me
That won't change obviously, but the gameplay will get more complex as you get into it at least.
>>
>>1056325
I found Mordheim to be nerve-wracking, the feel of trepidation as you round corners makes you empathise with your little guys.
I know it's not for everyone but watching your warband change as people pick up injuries, or that horrible moment someone keels over dead in the endgame, just add to the high-stakes feeling of the game.

Mechanicus was just twelve gallons of wanky dialogue with a puddle-deep game here and there. If only they'd put the same amount of effort into deepening the gameplay as they did into snazzy graphics and writing endless reams of banal chat with zero fucking impact on the game.
>>
Just found a game on Steam called Noara and it sounds interesting enough. It looks like some kind of 2v2 turn-based DotA. It went F2P recently, but the playercount is still abysmal according to Steamcharts. I'm about to give it a download, but I'm doubtful I'll even find any matches. Has anyone heard of it or played it, is it worth my time to even try it out?
>>
>>1053887
>>1053970
I just got this and having a lot of fun with it. But seriously how does the lockpicking work? All the other job minigames are really simple so I feel like such a retard but I have no clue how it works.

Also it feels like the devs aren't great at English. Many tooltips are awkwardly worded (not the dialogue though maybe someone else wrote that).
>>
>>1052000
>turn based tactics
What a nice thr-
>autistic requirements
Nevermind
>>
>>1056951
everything he defined is the mark of a good tactics game (JA2)
>>
OP here, I'm adding all of these reccomedations to a .txt file to at least give them a try later, thanks everybody, I already downloaded and am playing Tactics Ogre now, it's nice and about what I wanted.

>>1056951
That's just what I (I think) want in these games, but that doesn't mean this can't be a general turn based tactics game thread, don't be a faggot and talk about the stuff you like.
>>
>>1056721
That's the point, the high stakes of Mordheim mask how bad the mechanics are. Mechanicus was a waste of time, but most people seem to have enjoyed wasting their time with it, so I guess it qualifies as comfy. I like neither game all that much, the ideal tactics game for me gives the user a lot of agency and functional customization between missions, but once a mission starts and it gets hot, you are presented with an array of options so meaningful that you can spend an hour thinking about your move before you do anything and still be torn between two courses of action. Consequently, the worst possible tactics game is one where you end up having a composition finetuned in such a way that you can basically perform the same basic setup and execution every fight, against most (or all) enemies, with little to no variance in outcome (like XCOM2's endgame, a game with amazing first half on the highest difficulty)
>>
>>1056941
I think when you lockpick, sound indicates that you're going to break the lock, so rotate and do quick clicks and then a longer one if you didn't hear shit, then an even longer one until you narrow down the place where you can hold the button safely until it unlocks.
Lockpicking minigames have never been good gameplay outside of sneaking simulators where you need to time guard routes and lockpicking is just one option, I'll never not be salty that clueless devs insist on putting them in every fucking game that has chests.
>>
>>1054887
>>1054890
>>1055005
>>1055288
Guess I'll pass on it, then. Ty for the answers.
>>
>>1056969
Thanks that works. I wasn't playing with sound effects loud enough to hear it before.
>>
>>1056964
>high stakes of Mordheim mask how bad the mechanics are
You still haven’t clarified what you consider to be ‘bad mechanics’ though.
I respect your difference of opinion and I’m not claiming you’re in any way incorrect, I’m just trying to understand what you regard as the bad mechanics that made you find it a miserable experience.
>>
File: 1506292761514.jpg (134 KB, 639x720)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>1057272
I'm gonna level with you man. I never played Mordheim, I'm just parroting opinions I've read from people, and not even people I know to have good taste. I am a fraud and a shitty human being overall, and I'm sorry.
Having said that, I dislike initiative based combat order, as it drastically reduces your ability to impact the outcome of the battle. The best part of the new xcom games is switching between your characters in a seemingly impossible situation and gradually formulating a plan involving all of your available resources that could, with a little luck, ensure most if not all of your dudes survive the enemy turn. Having each unit take its turn is preferable in strategy games where you're supposed to trade with the enemy to some extent, but when you're playing a campaign and your dudes are actually valuable, initiative based unit order ensures you take attrition no matter what you do and reduces your tactical options down to "rolling the die and hoping for the best" more often than I find enjoyable.
>>
>>1052019
Kino game.
>>
>>1058114
Do you get off on humiliation or something?
>>
>>1056721
>found Mordheim to be nerve-wracking, the feel of trepidation as you round corners makes you empathise with your little guys.
I absolutely love that about mordheim. Especially when I'm running a mission with an impressive in my warband. The sight of a rat-ogre suddenly appearing around a street corner to come barreling down on one of my parry-based heroes can really bring me to the edge of my seat.
>>
>>1052000
Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, and Horizon's Gate are good. They aren't sequels, so you can jump straight to Horizon, which is the newest one, if you want. Good FFT combat with more focus on positioning. Your units can have their abilities heavily customized, but their base stats aren't nearly as relevant as their skills and items.
Fae Tactics is similar and is made by the same devs as Valdis Story which I loved, so I recommend it highly.
>>
>>1052000
King Arthur?
Though losing like 8 people will screw you hatd
>>
>>1052660
Jump into Expedition: Rome or play Conquistator then Viking then rome?
>>
>>1052220
its a bit shallow yes but its kinda nice to look at and play still
>>
File: file.png (227 KB, 687x331)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>1058114
>I never played Mordheim
honestly bud ya missing out, it's in my all time top ten and it's probably my favourite GW adaptation
>initiative based combat order, as it drastically reduces your ability to impact the outcome of the battle
not really gonna try and refute this since as you said it's personal taste, but I like the ini system in Mordheim because it's very interactable, between gear stats and skills you can tweak it on the ooga booga level of "big gear = slower" or you can start really autistically minmaxing or anything in between
>switching between your characters in a seemingly impossible situation and gradually formulating a plan involving all of your available resources that could, with a little luck, ensure most if not all of your dudes survive the enemy turn
I get that you like to juggle all the pieces simultaneously and then come up with the perfect execution, but I find having to lie in the bed I've made with initiative much more engaging, it encourages forethought and cautious play, learning to judge enemy movement ranges and map distances so that you're mitigating whatever initiative advantage they might have with positioning
Mordheim has a very Blood Bowlesque rhythm to it, blocking/tying up enemy resources and disengaging to try and create weakpoints in the enemy line, it's just that at the early stages of playing (first 30-50 hours) that's mostly gonna take the form of "oh fuck I got initiated on by something I don't recognise, that's now a 4v1, ok he's dead and now my team is getting ganked one by one" rather than "alright I have three 1v1's going, one 2v3 and one 2v1, now to spend resources so that 2v1 wraps up in my favour before somewhere else destabilises"
>>
File: 20200717174755_1.jpg (306 KB, 1680x1050)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>1058114
>when you're playing a campaign and your dudes are actually valuable, initiative based unit order ensures you take attrition no matter what you do
attrition is the name of the game practically, your people are only worth what you spend on them so just don't spend on them kappa
they are not valuable and unique snowflakes, they are loot monkeys you're squeezing for every drop, and your enemies are only as good as them unless you start playing PVP (which you should, it's great with friends) so there's no real penalty to not pumping them up other than having less tools in the toolbox
see that rank 9 leader dead on the ground? it means less than nothing to me, in fact it's a good thing because now I can kit out a new super matriarch without the flaws of the old
it's not even about winning battles, it's about walking away with the cash to fund the next three
>>
>>1058114
>I never played Mordheim, I'm just parroting opinions I've read from people
It's like I'm on /v/, at least you were honest about it.
>>
>>1053823
Made by French and God bless French animators. The trailer caused an explosion of Fio art.
>>
File: 1641013132398.png (110 KB, 468x562)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>1056964
>>1058114
>>
>>1056964
You are a sodomite but that was well put.
The perfect tactical rpg is one in which you can get screwed by making a poor build or by using a good build poorly.
Troubleshooter is probably the best example for this done well (even if the game has other problems).
>>
>>1054881
Fugly artstyle.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.