[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (89 KB, 616x353)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
Was it good?
>>
File: FDpzFoNWYAAw5o3.png (781 KB, 774x579)
781 KB
781 KB PNG
I..is that.. team fortress 2 but in different era?
>>
It's about going on silly treasure hunting adventures. Plays a lot like a board game and a bit like interactive fiction. The difficulty is all over the place. The combat is odd. You're expected to replay it with different teams to see everything.
Overall quite enjoyable but for some reason I keep ducking it to play other games. Sure is better than that turd Pathway. I also want to check out Curious Expedition one day.
>>
>>1049580
The mechanics are a bit weird at first but once you come to grips with them it's a pretty good game. Not super deep or complex but still has a decent amount of variety in how you approach the challenges. Trying different team compositions is fun and provides some replay value apart from just trying to get higher scores, for example a team that focuses on talking its way through every encounter is obviously going to be different from a team that just uses brute force as much as possible.
>>
>>1050223
This
A short fun game.
More a /rpg/ than /vst/,but you actually need to use your head during many encounters past first scenario.
Sadist German lady scientist OP. As lead she can generate science in gargantuan amounts.
>>
File: file.png (764 KB, 830x467)
764 KB
764 KB PNG
>>1049580
I'm more of a Curious Expedition guy.
>>
>>1049580
Yes.
Learning the ropes takes a while, and you have to fail few dozens of times to figure out how to even play it and unlock various characters, but once you're 10-12 hours in, it gets really fun really fast.
Play GOG version, FAR more stable than the Steam release (unless they've finally fixed it, but I doubt it).

>>1049704
>that turd Pathway
Pathway is basically a cheap X-COM knock-off with Indiana Jones paint job. Not bad per se, but just... meh? I guess that's the best way to put it. Its fun for a single playthrough over the campaign. But the only reason why I replayed it at all was due to milking ideas for Hollow Earth Expedition scenario, rather than the game being worth replaying.
>I also want to check out Curious Expedition one day.
Ignore the sequel, it's terrible. The original is a small quirky game with nice gameplay loop, the sequel is a horrible clusterfuck that decided the main draw of this game was of course graphics. Fuck the sequel

>>1050470
They aren't really comparable to each other, playing very differently and with different goals in mind. Said that, CE1 is fun as hell and I've easily sunk over 200 hours into it
I'm still mad over the sequel, thou.
>>
>>1050470
Also:
Late beta builds of CE1 were the best. The release state of the game removed bunch of fun quirks from the game and the post-release patches and expansions made it way too easy in the long run. MP is fun, but it's not worth all the changes brought in the gameplay loop. "Shaking" dice were probably the most zoomer friendly part that was needless.
>>
>>1050470
>>1050472
>First game, 1 hour in
>I'm finishing my 6th expedition, previously died during 3rd one, loads of fun
>Second game, 1 hour in
>I'm still during the very first expedition, no end in sight, every minute drags
What went so fucking wrong?
>>
>>1050472
Curious Expedition 2 is one of the biggest disappointments I've experienced in recent years. CE1 runs were good fun and usually over in one sitting, then in CE2 they for some reason decided that they need to both make it into a long story campaign and keep the roguelike structure, which just removes the incentive to push your luck and take risks because starting over gets tedious. It's like the developers had no idea why the gameplay loop of first one worked.
>>
>>1050702
As someone who followed the development, read their posts and what not, it's even worse.
It's not that they don't understand the loop that made original fun and engaging (while still repetitive). It's that they literally don't care. Their goal is to make a "retro exploration game", with the emphasis on "retro". First one was pretending to be 8bit, second is pretending to be a Flash game, and if they will make 3rd (which they are likely to do, given the DLC platform approach already earned them twice as much money as original), it's probably going to be some "early 3d tactical combat" bullshit game, akin to early 00s attempt to make WRPG that plays just like all the classic JRPGs
In other words: they know what made the first game tick, but aren't even aiming in that direction and have completely insane, rooted in pure aesthetics, goals in mind. Which is a shame, given how fun original was
>>
>>1050702
Oh, yeah, and obviously
>Le woke pill
Remember when in the first one you were just desecrating temples, treated natives like dirt and traded them marbles for ivory, because that was part of a genre convention and nothing else? That's haram now. And no real cultures were harmed during production of this game.
>>
>>1049580
I've never come even close to beating the final level, shit is hard
>>
>>1050805
The DLC expedition, The Lost Island, is FAR easier than the standard two, mostly because it's far more predictable and consistent in challenges (bring people with Engineer perks). Difficulty-wise, it's The Lost Island < The Holy Grail < gap < Shangri-La
>>
>>1050472
Yeah, I thought Pathway had enjoyable combat mechanics, especially the cover system, and nice atmosphere but the lack of content makes it tedious to get through, especially since clearing everything requires replaying the same parts with characters who have the right perks for typical random encounters in specific areas. As you keep replaying, the characters quickly hit max level, gain overpowered guns and useless skills, the cash gets maxed out, etc. And I haven't finished the game yet which isn't exactly long to begin with.
How does a game, where you loot ancient treasures, fiddle with alien artifacts, encounter strange magic, punch Nazis dead, thwart diabolical cultists and navigate trap-filled temples, run out of steam so fast?
>>
>>1050930
Have you played the game pre- or after Adventurers Wanted! patch? Because it reworked various mechanics and for the most part made the game laughably easy, which made it into a grind fest in turn, rather than the default, semi-random original. Sure, you can still play without grinding, but the post-patch equipment system assumes you did grind better shit.
The funny part about Pathway is that if you take the exact same fucking premise, throw it into pic related and stir together, you get an excellent set of scenarios. It's truly amazing how out of breath the game is itself, because various bits and pieces are there already, just not used for anything in game proper.
>>
File: Best TTRPG of the 00s.jpg (82 KB, 306x396)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1050937
>Forgot to add pic related
>>
>>1050702
Thanks for the warning. Encountered a lot of older games with shitty sequels lately... Makes me sad.
>>
>>1050741
Weird that RE are the old-style woke from Captain Planet Era.
>multicultural band of explorers
>pretending that Africa is a cultural learning center
>still allowing for archaeological looting, something really frowned upon now
>can make friends with snakes, lions, hicks and cannibals
>or insult them to death
>>
>>1051365
It was a time marked by idealism and naivete rather than hostility and subversion, sometimes I wish I remained stuck in that era forever then I remember how much of a hell any timeloop would be
>>
>>1049580
I had a lot of fun with it, wish there had been a few more adventures and everything, but then it's also not like there's too few either.

>>1050470
This dumb game always kicks my ass a few explorations in. The compass can really fuck you over I feel. But also very fun.
>>
>>1051490
>It was a time marked by idealism and naivete
for you
>>
>>1051877
was being caught part of your plan?
>>
File: REIS.jpg (49 KB, 446x647)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1049580
I want Anna to taze my balls
>>
>>1052585
She reminds me of a Nickelodeon cartoon character
>>
>>1051365
Except you are looting Africa blind and the cultural learning center is in Asia. With obligatory "le mystique and mysterious Orient!"
You played the game, right?

>>1054828
You mean the entire fucking cast in this game?
>>
>>1054828
No idea who you're talking about but she can taze my balls too
>>
>>1049580
It's a fun game, I wouldn't go any further than that but honestly thats all you need from a game.
>>
>>1050926
The only tier 5 expedition I ever beat was Shangri-La, wtf? Rivaleaux’s gang is 10x easier than the dinosaurs or the sexy bimbo’s horde of cats, belly dancers and fire emblem swordmasters
>>
>>1058059
Depends on your team I guess. I found the dinosaurs to be relatively easy.
>>
>>1058059
Dinosaurs are a joke, especially if you go after the T-Rex - once you beat it, you can just wrap it up and go home.
>>
>>1052585
>leader skill so OP to be the only one nerfed with add-on
>>
>>1052585
>Anna is desiged for devious outcomes
>I always either have Friendly or Aggressive outcomes when playing with her as a leader
>>
>>1058715
I dunno, I tried both the T-Rex and the Velociraptors and both of them were slow but sure party wipes. I beat Rivaleaux every time I go up against him
>>1058835
Anna is good on the caribbean and emerged island expeditions which are a lot of aggressive encounters
>>
>>1059564
I always do Caribbean by being friendly to the monkeys and devious to the smugglers
>>
>>1059645
based & monkepilled
>>
File: 20220517193715_2.jpg (284 KB, 2560x1080)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>1049580
yes
>>1050223
This, except that it is deep and complex once you consider all the modifiers at play.
>>1050470
no
>>1050472
Steam release is fine. agreed with the rest.
>>1050805
yes
>>1051365
your old-style woke is my based AF. Also probably part of why they haven't released a sequel
>>1051500
lots of adventures. Play more.
>>1052585
fuck yes. pic very related. Yes please.
>>
>>1050472
>>1050702
>>1050735
So Renowned explorers & Curious expedition 1 is the way. Thanks anons.
>>
>>1061195
When both games were brand new (as in: RE came out and CE was in early stages of access), they were kind of compared to each other, as doing the same concept in radically different way.
They are both good in what they are doing, but if you have to pick absolutely one and as a strategy game, then RE wins by a long shot. CE is a fun little game, but the level of strategy is close to none once you learn the basic mechanics.
>>
>>1049580
I didn't hate it
>>
>>1060838
kek
>>
>>1049580
I just got it. It looks good but I don't know how to push above for 4 star islands. Any tips?
>>
>>1064960
Unironically keep trying. Also, depends on which expedition you are going.
The important thing is to understand how the skills work and how they affect each challenge type.
>>
>>1064960

Winning higher tier battles is about 2 things:
1) Being able to reliably hit opponents with an attitude they are weak against while maintaining an advantageous mood. This comes down to having specific team members, so if you want to beat some specific adventure, look up enemies' weakness and start the game with a team built accordingly.
2) Gear has very big effect on stats, so you also need to improve your gold income so you can afford higher tier weapons and armor.
>>
>>1065215
Adding to this:
Unlock Australian store. It gives you access to epic-tier equipment, which is well worth the price and allows to tailor your teams much better.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.