[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: line war.jpg (93 KB, 616x353)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Thoughts on this? Is it worth checking out
>>
No singleplayer? Pass actually
>>
>no singleplayer AI whatsoever
lol
>>
>>1045258
I like the multiplayer and how it's a new RTS game that actually tries to innovate. It's in a fun state at the moment, at least based on the games I played back during the pre-release period, but it doesn't feel fleshed out enough to be a full release. They haven't labelled it 'early access' but if you look at their timeline it's clear there's lots of features that aren't implemented.

The lack of a singleplayer mode is probably going to kill the game, and that's very sad.
>>
>>1045258
shill budget appropriated i see.
>>
>>1045258
The fact the game will likely never have skirmish AI is going to 100% kill the game in its crib. It'll never have a community outside of a small die hard subset.
>>
can't get over the mobile game graphics desu
>>
>>1045258
Interesting game, a shame you can't play skirmish or that they have a couple of playable tutorials, especially because they have such a unique rts system. Also, the maps seem kind of small. I like that they've made sensible shortcut keys for everything that really helps. If your new it's difficult to see where you can place cities, ports, industry etc. Would have loved a quick menu ala BFME to build those. Tried one match multi so far and it plays well, pausing your production to build buildings is tricky but can work really well if you time it right. So far really impressed with this unique take on RTS especially for 12€
>>
d
>>
when people complain about not being able to turtle for 40 minutes vs ai...

how are you too scared too play online, probably against people just a shit as you as well lol. scared of a game, dude actually scared of a game LMAO. like nooo I have ranked anxiety, nooo. Grow up loser
>>
no campaign? guess mental omega will remain on the top then.
>>
this is the ultimate game for people that complain about gookclicking and remembering build orders. WHERE ARE THEY, go play this fucking game you gookclick complaing cowards, or are you just pussy campaign only people that turtle against campagin missions for 40 minutes
>>
bruh this nigga really never played mental omega campaign on anything but casual, he thinks you can just turtle them lmaooo
>>
Are other people feeling like they slowed down the game? Everything seems to happen a lot slower in the release version than I recall.
>>
>>1046327
Found the gookclicker
>>
>>1046327
Strategy games aren't like those MMOs where you can join a match with no prior experience, learn as you go, and win without knowing what exactly you're doing. And even the most basic bitch shooters have some sort of bot match/shooting range mode where you can test out what works for you.
Especially since this game bends over backwards to ditch the standard RTS direct control scheme, replacing it with this railroad tycoon noodle soup.
>>
>>1046570
this game is litreally anti gookclick, are you retarded? go be scared of playing a game more
>>
File: seeds.png (49 KB, 882x233)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>1045258
game is pretty based, fuck gook clickers
lack of singleplayer is annoying but may come next year
in the meantime so being a loser and find some friends to play with nerd

>>1045668
you think these devs can afford shills??? lmao

POST SEEDS
>>
File: 13108.jpg (180 KB, 1276x1008)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>1049908
>>
File: 46260.jpg (671 KB, 1920x1080)
671 KB
671 KB JPG
>>1049917
>>
File: 72756.jpg (380 KB, 2073x1066)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>1049918
>>
File: 74132.jpg (345 KB, 1920x1080)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>1049922
>>
File: 75218.jpg (329 KB, 1607x1266)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>1049926
>>
>>1045258
I liked the demo. Bought it today to support it. Won a game. Lost a game. I like how games generally flow and the dynamics between the units. If my internet weren't being unstable I'd be playing it again right now.

>>1045598
It does feel pretty much like the demo still but I don't mind. I like the state it's in so any more is a bonus.

>>1046327
>>1046343
Found the sex-havers. Listen to these self-assured alpha-males go. This is how cool people act. Take notes NERDS.
>>
File: 68823.jpg (875 KB, 2560x1440)
875 KB
875 KB JPG
>>1049908
I had a good fight on this one a couple nights ago. The enemy took the west while I took the east.

I thought I'd have a resource advantage but my cities were too exposed and close to the front so he was able to raid them. It ended up a lot more even than I was expecting and I think if I replayed it I'd need to make securing the land bridge a much higher priority.

Have you played on the seeds you posted? I'd be more interested in hearing how the fights went than just pure maps, since often things go a way that was not at all what you expected from looking at start.

>>1049917
I'm assuming the intention is a fight where each player controls one island but it looks a bit imbalanced for that. The west island has a substantial resource advantage (and safer, inland, cities) so both players are likely to start there and get into a knife fight near the city cluster to the west.

>>1049918
>full land
Actually pretty cool.

>>1049929
This one looks fun too. Lots of reasonable-looking starting positions and contesting the inland lake would have reasonable value since it lets you raid some major economic points.
>>
File: Island Chain.jpg (835 KB, 2560x1440)
835 KB
835 KB JPG
>>1050314
Also found this one while browsing some random seeds. It's not the most water-heavy map in terms of pure coverage amount, but the land being so split up is probably going to make naval operations a focus for both sides. Lots of opportunity for raids and sneaky business.

>>1050307
>I like the state it's in so any more is a bonus.
My worry is that it won't sustain a playerbase. Without that it doesn't really matter if it remains in the current state because you can't play it unless you find some friends to drag into it with you.
>>
>>1050324
A bleak thought. I guess it's kind of rolling the dice on whether or not it catches on. Still I'm happy to support the experiment and get a bit of fun out of this. I've spent money on worse.
>>
>>1050354
Yeah, I'm also fine with spending money on innovative experiments. Novelty is too rare in game nowadays to turn them down for something like this. I'm just disappointed, really.

Making an AI which can play like a human opponent obviously is a major effort, but an asymmetric experience is much simpler and can get away with really braindead AI with good level design. I think something like that would have immensely improved the appeal/longevity of the game.

But hopefully I'm just overly pessimistic and at least a decent core of players stick around.
>>
>>1050362
Even a shit AI would have been a good demo tool and training wheel function. But on the other hand I enjoy trial by firing myself against other new players. This game doesn't really lend itself to getting stomped if you both the very base basics. If you can make infantry move towards where his guys are coming from you'll at least hold on a bit and have time to make decisions.
>>
The only kind of PvE I would see from this game in the mid-term would be scripted missions.
>>
Played a bit more today. I really like the territory selection starting system, but I seem to have won several times in a row due to people realising they'd chosen badly and resigning after our infantry meet because they realised I can probably claim 2/3 of the map from where I am. I guess recognising what's valuable is a skill, but it doesn't quite feel like a win when this happens. Stop choosing the corners and then quitting when you realise you're cornered. Corners are shit. Take bottlenecks you can lock down with loads of value to claim behind you.
>>
>>1045258
I've played a couple of games now. It is quite fun, but still a bit clunky and unintuitive in some moving aspects. I.e. how to get commando on the plane to make a drop (I've eventually found out).

And my normal games/RTS reflexes make me constantly spawn commands while trying to click on the units.

Also there is a problem when you want to ungroup and move few soldiers to conquer many territories at once when they are already in one group.

Hopefully it will not die quickly and they will implement more content and tweak it here an there.
>>
>>1046329
wtf would a campaign for this kind of game even be?
>>
>>1046327
Your game will be dead in a month when all it will have will be like 5 no-life autists fanatically clinging to the game and scaring away any new players by tryharding, then the dev will go bankrupt once he sees the game is making him little to no income (assuming he won't use his 2 braincells to add a singleplayer mode so that the game will have life beyond singleplayer)

Dawn of War released like 2 decades ago and I can still play it and enjoy it. Why? Offline singleplayer.
>>
>Complain about gookclickers and esports ruining RTS
>Some guy actually puts the time into designing and developing a non-gookclick rts
>/vst/ won't play it because it doesn't have a mode where they can stomp ai or listen to a bedtime story
What's the point of making such a game if nobody will play it. If you only wanted to play sp all this time why even complain about gookclicking when it had no effect on you?
You can already avoid it in all the RTS campaigns ever made
>>
>>1051434
No, /vst/ won't play it because they are not given a chance to at least practice against bots before they're thrown to play against sweaty tryhard neckbeards, and because the game will essentially become unplayable once the playerbase of only like 200 people loses interest and moves on.
>>
>>1051437
No matter how much you practice against bots you are going to get wrecked by people who spent that time playing pvp instead.
>>
This game is going to die with or without an AI mode
Then /vst/ is going to go back to complaining about esports and gookclicking while turtling in a corner against medium ai for an hour
Nothing ever happens
>>
I just had a really entertaining game that revolved around islands. I enjoy that the pace of these games creates an executive command feeling while still creating exciting ground level situations.

>>1051347
Something I've been wondering is whether more infantry capture territories quicker. Not being certain makes me anxious when watching long conga lines capture one territory at a time.

>>1051434
That /vst/ guy is a real jerk!

>>1051437
>sweaty tryhard neckbeards
I've been watching replays of a few of my games. Everyone seems as tentative and uncertain as me.
>>
File: chokepoint.jpg (602 KB, 1631x1321)
602 KB
602 KB JPG
Where do you guys prefer to put production facilities? Near the frontline for faster reinforcements, or far from it so they aren't in danger?

>>1051176
I think choosing a corner isn't as bad as it seems. Picking a more central position lets you expand in more directions but you won't know which way the enemy will be coming from and your forces will be spread around. A concentrated early attack from the player who started with a 'safe' direction can break through before you can divert forces towards them.

For example, I've attached the map for a game I had today.

I started around point A and northwards across the chokepoint, while my enemy started a few provinces south, taking the cities. As soon as I saw my enemy I set up a defensive line at A but with a lot of my forces northward it was breached because he just had more units than me. I had to set up a secondary defensive line at B, which I barely managed to hold since my aircraft came online and he had no AA. If his attack had included some AA I think he could have just rolled over me.

After that he kept trying to push through B but at that point I had enough production to keep that area reinforced and more open space behind me to improve my economy with.

I think his early play was very good, I lost a lot more troop value than he did and nearly outright lost, and he just needed to transition away from slamming into my second defensive line earlier. Even with the chokepoint, starting in the center felt very precarious.

There was plenty of room for him to use transport boats to get some troops around the chokepoint, which would have opened up new wide open areas to fight over. In most situations where I've seen someone get trapped in the corner, they're just over-focusing on one well-defended area rather than actually trapped.

>>1051474
I'm fairly sure more troops capture faster than less. Single infantry seem to capture super slow while big hordes are fast.
>>
This game sucks ass, do NOT —I repeat. do NOT— buy it.
>>
This game is based, consider buying it.

I recommend watching a game first.
>>
File: line war.jpg (2.2 MB, 2810x1575)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>1054095
One of the two creators is streaming himself playing the game right now:
https://www.twitch.tv/imphenzia
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (3.11 MB, 3840x2160)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>1054691
>>
>>1054691
Never seen a game at this high a level before. This is really cool. I like how even when top players start right next to each other the game runs at a coherent executive pace. And there's a lot of tactical room within these limited identical rosters. These commando moves are stuff I'd never have tried.
>>
Literally a gookclick
>>
>create a standard gookclick RTS
>Focus your PR on how much non gookclick the game is
>Both microfags and macroshittet play your game
Devs are based
>>
>>1055247
>>1054975
>gookclick
substantiate your claims
>>
>>1055247
>>1054975
You have to be quite retarded to call it gookclick.

The game is FootmenWars or if you are old enough (which I doubt) "Z" kind of game, or mushroom wars if any of these sounds familiar.

But the twist is that you do not attack a territory/base but draw, a line and you have to build your producing facilities yourself.

The rest is just that - whoever captures more territiories, especially with capital production - wins.

At the beginning I thought this game is something new and innovative, but it really is quite brain dead game of sending swarms of your units at enemy with a little twists and tweaks.
>>
>>1055985
So what? Nothing should exist that resembles anything else that has ever existed?
>>
>>1055985
I'd decimate you 1v1.
>>
>>1055985
>But the twist is that you do not attack a territory/base but draw, a line and you have to build your producing facilities yourself.
So it's lik Hearts of Iron 4 with better construction?
>>
>>1056106
it was response to calling it gooclick. hard to grasp whole conversation that goes 1 post per 6 hours?
>>
>>1056357
I follow you. Your tone seems to be suggesting that because the game is like footman wars with some twists it's not worth it.
>>
>>1055985
>You have to be quite retarded to call it gookclick.
>The game is "peak gookclick" or if you are old enough (which I doubt) "standard gookclick" kind of game, or "mobile game bullshit" if any of these sounds familiar
>>
File: questionmark.png (12 KB, 608x544)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Can someone fill me in on what you mean with "gookclick"?
>>
>>1056556
practical execution having primacy over conceptual mechanics - doing the wrong thing well beats doing the correct thing poorly

it is, of course, a sliding scale, but is usually argued for/against as if it's a binary.
>>
>>1056569
that was way more interesting than what i expected from a word consisting of sticking "gook" and "click" together.

gookclick seems to be used as an insult but i don't see how it's a bad thing being able to win by using non-standard methods but executing them well
>>
>>1056583
there is nothing "non-standard" about a tank rush
>>
>>1056583
It's used as an insult by people who are slow and have no recourse except to lose when confronted by a human with better reflex.
For such people it is very frustrating to see an opponent make "obvious" mistakes or rely on "bad" units but still win regardless. In their butthurt they perceive a difference between mechanical skill and strategic ability that all real time strategy computer games combine into a single activity.
>>
>>1056590
that's a wrong thing? i guess "doing the wrong thing well beats doing the correct thing poorly" is meaningless if people argue that stuff like a tank rush is "wrong"
>>
>>1056596
It's usually just a cope, yeah.
>>
>>1056556
Are gook friendly games, meaning games where you dont need to think but only to move your finger fast enough
Click is meant to represent the RTS version of this (meaning games like sc) in contrast to tactical games like command ops etc)
Other gook friendly games are tekken, lol (compared to the tactical games like street figter and dota)
>>
>>1056596
take sc2, and tell a great player "you can only build roaches". he'll absolutely crush an average player who is not just unrestricted, but even has a heads up that "this guy only builds roaches"
>>
>>1056583
>bad thing being able to win by using non-standard methods but executing them well
In a strategy game? Because it moves the focus away from strategy and towards manual dexterity.

For an extreme example of non-standard methods executed well, see the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKVFZ28ybQs

The same stupid plan has a completely different result when every unit acts perfectly.
>>
Game looks pretty cool. But there's zero fucking shot that I'm forking over $30 for a game with 100 active players. If they made it F2P with purchasable cosmetics I think it would've been fine. Hell, even $5 and I would've impulse purchased it. But $30 on a game that may not even have players in a months time, and zero singleplayer to speak of is an absolute joke.
>>
>>1056556
It means "i'm too retarded to play with other players, especially chinese who do nothing with their lives but play the single game 24/7"

>>1056637
Well LineWar isn't about fast clicking or doing any fast microing so it cannot be a gookclick by definition.

>>1056510
Not a single mentioned game is a game that needs dexterity or planning build orders or other. Calling RTS games gookclick because they are real time really shows your retardation (which is funny because retarded also means being slow)
>>
>>1055985
>>1056728
Isnt Footmen wars a sc/wc mod? Maybe I am wrong tho
>>
>>1056556
Gookclick is a name and behavior. It means the poster is either a well known troll who posts "gookclick" a lot and complains incessantly about being bad at RTS multiplayer.
-"Gook" for Starcraft
-"Click" because he thinks the reason he loses games is because of low APM.
No actual RTS player actually uses the term, except in a perjorative manner to refer to said poster and his behavior.
>>
>>1056760
Line War doesn't seem to require high actions per minute at all, especially compared to Starcraft or Age of Empires, so guess the people calling it a gookclick are just trolling.
>>
>>1056873
higer APM are the king in LineWar, people are just bad rn
>>
Still more gookclick than supreme commander on top of being uglier and priced much higher somehow
The king keeps his throne
>>
File: 82.jpg (29 KB, 640x519)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1056905
well... i mean sure, but "higher apm" in line war is like 10% of what a "high apm" in star craft is. a higher apm will be king in any game unless it's turn based. someone with 2 apm will typically beat the guy that have 1 apm since it takes him twice as long to figure out what to do in the game.
>>
>>1056932
I think you are understimating how important fast clicks can become in this game
But desu the game was doa, so the meta wont ever be settled
>>
>>1056981
>dead on arrival
https://steamcharts.com/app/1309610

i dunno, the game is by 2 guys, they had no publisher and the RTS genre isn't exactly popular + it isn't a traditional RTS so it turns away RTS players expecting it to have your typical RTS gameplay.

as long as people can find a match i wouldn't consider the game neither a failure nor dead
>>
>>1056981
>doa
This mindset that every game has to become a seasonal constantly maintained live-service that runs for at least 25 years is destroying video games. When did players internalise the values of Electronic Arts?
>>
>>1046327
based
>>
Gookclicker players are seething
>>
>>1057364
It doesn't have to be maintained for 25 years. But having enough players to find a match months after its launch would be a good start.
>>
File: connecting.gif (1.62 MB, 390x260)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
>>1057500
can you connect directly to an IP? multiplayer-focused games that rely on centralized servers that eventually will go down makes me sad
>>
I was really interested in this and almost bought it when I realized it's only 1vs1 at the moment... I'll wait until they add at least 2vs2 or FFA if the game isn't dead then.
Releasing fully in this state is, imho, a big mistake.
>>
File: 0.gif (342 KB, 640x480)
342 KB
342 KB GIF
>>1058013
i think it's very important to not split the pool of players, this game is not big enough to support match making in both 1vs1 and 2vs2 with both reasonable queue times 24/7 and reasonable skill-match.
they could probably have spent a couple of months of implementing 2vs2 to gain 5% more players but then end up killing the game much faster due to long queue times and poor skill-matching. once the game enters that spiral it's doomed, so they made the right choice in recognizing they just don't have enough players to support more than 1 mode.
>>
Gaem is kool. It's better than Age of Shit and Gookcraft.
>>
>>1051386
Like other RTS campaing retard
>>
Why do you think this game isnt a "gookclik"?
>>
>>1058195
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmYhX8fjmo8

doesnt have this
>>
As an RTS, Line War is fine. I think the developer is introducing innovation to the genre with their orders system, but ultimately, it feels very clunky. The controls are unintuitive and the UI feels like it's fighting against me. What it does do right is it makes management of forces and the reinforcement of forces simpler so you can focus on your economy. The problem is is that there's already a much better game from over ten years ago that did all of this better. I'd recommend you just buy Supreme Commander Forged Alliance instead.
>>
>>1058197
yet
>>
>>1051410
what's fun in offline singleplayer unless it's some sort of sandbox, rpg or rng-heavy experience?
>>
>>1051437
playing against bots is never equal to playing against real people. you can very easily learn to exploit the ai and human players are technically unpredictable.
>>
>>1056556
It doesn't mean anything, whoever uses the term just doesn't want to admit that they're bad.
>>
File: 1621303470780.png (356 KB, 850x850)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
>>1056643
And what's the point? A great player is great because of the execution. Strategy is ALSO about execution and it has to be both swift and precise. Whoever denies it is either fanboying some historical army that lost in the end or just doesn't want to admit that there are people who simply ARE better than him.
>>
>>1056583
The problem with gookclick is that is reduces the strategy part of the game in favor of micromanagement. You spend less time making decisions and reacting to your opponent's decisions with more decisions, and more time babysitting your units and reacting to your opponent's micromanagement with more micromanagement.

Faggots who lose due to having low APM and no awareness should get fucked, but if an RTS can maintain the same density of decision-making for less clicks, it's a straight up better RTS. Arguing against that is like saying that having no mass select and orders and instead being forced to select-right click every single unit like in Dune 2 makes for a great game.
>>
>>1058209
To me Line War feels like Supreme Commander refined down to an Advance Wars like level of simplicity. Everything is clear, readable, and works very satisfyingly on such a basic level. I actually hope they don't add much more complexity. And the UI and controls are a bit odd but after a few hurdle moments I don't feel bothered now.
>>
>>1058211
wouldn't even be possible from what ive seen of line war
>>
>>1056556
Because it's still a real-time game so your reaction time is going to provide a key advantage regardless of what the dev claims. Microlets will keep losing and keep bitching unless they realize that RTSes are effectively action games and therefore require a certain degree of physical aptitude to play well.
>>
>>1058791
by that logic every strategy game that isn't turn based is a gookclicker.
>>
>>1059021
command ops and scourge arent
and they are the only strategical rts ever
sc2 is an action game, I love those kind of games so isnt bad for me, but I would rather play random FG on fightcade than play copypasted space vs pg13 tyranids vs chinese gacha game characters
>>
>>1059021
>by that logic every strategy game that isn't turn based is a gookclicker.
I mean, if you're a major slowpoke (no pun intended), you might as well treat that as an actual definition. These folks are bad at keeping up with randoms and need to realize they should quit or get gud or find likeminded fellows who will humor their code of honor.
>>
File: trend.png (1.22 MB, 1693x1511)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
i'm not feeling so good guys, halp
>>
>>1060318
I'm posting in the threads and playing the game. My part is done. Now finish aircraft carriers.
>>
>>1060318
The game is pushing a different approach and overcomplicates the simplest RTS control schemes. And it does so without much advertisement, in early access, and no AI to practice against. It was going to be a hit or miss even among the few who were looking forward to it in the first place.
It'll take something truly unexpected for it to flourish. Something like, I don't know, Nenechi picking it up and unintentionally turning it into a fotm.
>>
>>1061297
>hello guys, this is pewdiepie, and i thought we'd check out line war today. looks like a great game.
>999999 all-time peak
>>
>>1061297
Once you have more than 50 units and know what you're doing it becomes the simplest rts control scheme ever. Trying to control a developed game of Line War with Age of Empires style individual unit control would be sickening. I used to play Empire Earth. Stuff like airports, combined arms warfare, artillery, all of it felt like shit compared to this.
>>
>>1045258
>indie mp focused RTS
They never learn
>>
I racked up a ten game winning streak and a 30-10 record. Now I feel done, at least for now. I owe it to myself as an aesthete to not become endlessly committed to one game. I got my money's worth and wish this game the best.
>>
>>1064209
if you wish it the best you'd help out with expanding the match making queue ;_;

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.