[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 153 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: songs-of-syx_poster.jpg (72 KB, 800x392)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>What is Song of Syx
2D Fantasy City Builder with multiple races and complex mechanics including an overworld map with other kingdoms to trade with and wage war against. It can support cities with tens of thousands of citizens, all with their unique schedules jobs and complex stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-DewlsabEM

>What's new.
Update v61 soonTM

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1162750/view/3182363591892558994

>You guys primarily wanted ranged combat, and I added that, and cracked opened the fundamentals of the battle mechanics and re-did them.

>Now we have catapults and archers and troops on walls, gatehouses.
>We have an AI that's semi-smart.
>We have complex and true to life morale and combat mechanics. Configure your own troops in almost infinite ways.
>We have increased modding support for battle-related stuff. Someone wants to add javelins, slings, scorpions, WW1 machine guns, no problem.
>Big performance gains. New pathfinder that's better and smoother and faster.

Discuss
>>
The best city builder in existence.

Fuck Skylines. Fuck Sim city. Fuck Banished. What gaem allows me to build a city builder built on the foundations of slavery. rimworld?? yea, but you don't get 10,000 kunts or somethin.
>>
>reverse engineering Total War
Old or new? Hope its the former. Anyway, maybe Calvary will be added too.
>>
>>1001558
>Big performance gains. New pathfinder that's better and smoother and faster.
Oh boy I do hope this does have an impact. I basically lost the fast forward speed when I went over 10k inhabitants. Now I'm just waiting for the new version.
>>
>>1001645
Why ovals?
>>
>>1001649
Because I wanted to. Also had a pig and elf majority.
>>
>>1001649
Elves and orcs prefer "organic" shaped buildings. They don't have to be that round if you just want to minmax what the game considers organic but it looks nice. I like that anons dick buildings.
>>
>>1001558
Can't wait for the next update. The mod support lends itself perfectly for some WW1 trench warfare kino.
>>
>>1001645
Funny how everyone who plays this game makes the dick buildings.
>>
>>1001697
Is it even possible to play a game with player made designs, and not make dicks?
>>
>>1001558
I'm waiting for the dev to shit out the update before playing again
Great game
Just needs more content.
>>
>>1001558
I just realized I dont actually need to have a bed for every single pop in my city.
What the hell am I doing building all of these hyperrealistic dormitories besides their workshops like if it were an actual town if so.
>>
>>1002054
Yeah you don't need to have a bed for everyone to sleep at the same time, but building dorms close to workplaces isn't a bad idea. They basically live at the work place and take breaks to sleep, instead of living somewhere and going to work.
>>
>turns sound on
FART
.... FART

*fart* *poot*

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

>turns sound off
>>
>>1002054
The things that's annoying too is how big beds and lavatories are compared to other stuff, I just want to build a little outhouse by the fishing dock
>>
>coding one of the most impressive games ever
>too stupid to make a gif
What a madlad
>>
>>1001558
I tried it but it was boring and shallow. It made me open my fort on DF for the first time in years to get the feeling I was hoping to get from playing this game.
>>1001575
Kys braindead shill
>>
Still cant breed slaves, lame
>>
File: Heroes_60f3bc_6497933.jpg (120 KB, 1199x709)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Can I raise a fuckton of skellies in this game doe?
>>
>>1002751
Not yet, but It's certainly moddable enough to allow it.

You could mod in a 'skeleton' species that does not age, does not get immigrants, and reproduce by taking corpses of citizens and skellies into a special building to turn them into skeletons, all with special preferences (or lack thereof) to their undead status.

Magic isn't something that's currently in the game, but there are religious buildings to different gods and other elements alluding to magic, so maybe some more complex mechanics to that effect will be added.
>>
File: Nice.jpg (127 KB, 680x680)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1002875
I'll follow the game's development with great interest
>>
how resource intensive is this game? would I be able to play comfortably on a laptop with an i5-7300u and integrated graphics?
>>
>>1003909
Yes, it runs pretty decently on a potato.
Apparently the next update will boost the performance even more.
>>
V61 is now on beta branch, time to try out new military features
>>
File: walls.png (2.6 MB, 1920x1080)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB PNG
>>1001558
>>1004427
Can confirm v61 is available now as a BETA.

Alongside yet another erratic video detailing the update, by the dev:
https://youtu.be/9knYxqj7VGc

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1162750/view/3187993730658746490
>>
>>1004650
It looks very rough judging from the vid
>archers fire rate is way too fast
>no spears
>no cavalry
>shields?
>looser formations?
>catapults need to occupy a lot more spaces
>wall art better z-level indication
>enemy ai behaving like headless chickens under fire
>>
>>1004703
>archers fire rate is way too fast
I think the archer fire rate is about right based on what he's going for.
English longbowmen could fire 12 arrows a minute, about 1 every five seconds.
Then take into account the showcased troops have completely maxxed out ranged training
And take into account that they're Tilapis/Elves, who are better at archery than other races.
>catapults need to occupy a lot more space
I think they need to be longer, either 6 or 8 'spaces' total. That said, catapults come in all kinds of sizes and they could pretty easily be that small.
>enemy ai behaving like headless chickens under fire
pretty realistic. The french did the same.
>>
>>1004650
the combat update is here?
>>
>>1004892
>pretty realistic. The french did the same.
The French kicked all of you outside of France, except for those who died there.
>>
>>1004650
>projectiles actually traveling in 3D space, friendly fire exists
>fire rate actually accurate (they are elves so its very high tempo, but even a human could get off at least two or three shots that fast)
>slaughters the unarmored
>biggest threat to well armored is the morale hit of being under constant missile fire and how it can break up formations
This game is amazing.
>>
>>1004899
As a Beta, yes. You can enable Beta versions from Steam.
>>
File: Beta.png (324 KB, 878x812)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>1005003
>>1004899
Like this.
>>
File: 1255854975628.jpg (376 KB, 1200x1633)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
So when is somebody gonna upload the update? I need something to play and I'm certainly not gonna buy it.
>>
>>1005010
The demo is an older version of the full game, a few months old. It lacks a lot of best and most recent updates but gives more or less the core gameplay experience, I think.
>>
>>1005028
I know that, but I don't want the demo. I want the full game. I've played 0.60 already.
>>
UPDATE OUT NOW.

About to play my actual first game
>>
>>1004928
And before that we repeatedly destroyed them in battles where we were massively outnumbered.
>>
>>1005034
You probably have to wait for the V61 to come out of the beta
>>
>>1002094
Legitimately my only complaint with this game. What was he thinking?
>>
>>1005010
I could, but I won't. Sorry.
>>
>>1001558
Is there any reason to not have multirace towns?
Like, are there any benefits to, say, having just humans or just elves?
>>
>>1001575
lol no
It's not even as good as the game it's ripping off.
>>
>>1005010
It's literally a one man project
You're not forking money over to some half-assing fat cunt CEO, you're making a donation
>>
Why can't any of these DF clones get it right?
>>
>>1008031
Because they still place importance on performance, so they fudge certain mechanics.
DF, and its players, have come to accept FPS death by mid-end game. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you to decide.
>>
File: Elf_Trader.jpg (92 KB, 900x675)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1008036
This. Call me when DF can sustain a thousand of dorfs in a single fort at the same time.

I'll be playing Song of Syx, setting up fights of tens of thousands of individual soldiers against each other in the meantime.
>>
>>1008079
>b-but you can cut off individual fingers and toes and teeth in DF!!!
>>
I'm really interested in buying this game, is it in an alright state right now? I rarely buy early access games since some can feel really lacking despite the concept being good.
>>
>>1008036
>>1008079
>>1008086
City-building and all this stuff is boring in DF when you do it for 100500 time
However, what makes the game exceptional is the historymode and all this stuff that gives backstory
This is why I keep launching it again and again and spend lot of time generating worlds
>>
File: file.png (3.43 MB, 1576x1098)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB PNG
Any tips to expanding further? I got 163 people and I don't really know how I should get that number higher.
>>
>>1008492
get proper graveyeard instead of mass graves
this will boost approval
make hatcheries
>>
>>1008492
Look at what they want, and try to make more of that.
>>
>>1008492
Pops dislike noise. Try to isolate workshops with walls and the least doors possible so that the least amount of pops are exposed top it.

You can enable the noise overlay with that button right under the minimap.
>>
>>1008398
It's an enjoyable city builder right now, but I think it's missing a sort of 'End-Game' you'd come to expect you need to build towards, as well as some random events to spice up your game to make it less samey and monotonous.
>>
>>1008410
The stories in DF are really samey and RNG. Sometimes you get some real gems, and fucking around in adventurer mode is fun. But the game has languished for years, I think I started playing it like 14 years ago and it's competitors have surpassed it at this point. They have less superficial depth, but they focus on fun, impactful things instead of the autism of toady.
Song of Syx isn't anywhere near DF, but it's definitely a good base for a med-sized city builder
>>
How do I even make money anymore? I can't farm opium in the place I settled and furniture is getting me peanuts.
>>1008785
The issue is that toady focused on really dumb stuff like books, songs and dance routines. If he focused on actual mechanics that impact things, it'd be way way better, even if he didn't touch the UI once.
Ranged militaries are still useless for all intents and purposes, there's still infinite bugs, still no threat to your fort if you shut yourself in with walls etc etc.
>>
>>1008853
>How do I even make money anymore? I can't farm opium in the place I settled and furniture is getting me peanuts.
Unironically research trade. I don't get the exact calculation but while it says 10% bonus it seems it's closer to 10% of base price and is additive with the unmodified sale price of like 20% so getting a couple levels easily doubles or more the amount of money you actually get for goods.
>>
Why are mushrooms so expensive? I'm selling them for a fourth of the price of jewelry. Did the free hand of the market smile upon me or is it always like this?
>>
>>1010923
Yeah, scarcity and worldwide production affect the prices of exports and imports.
You might have gotten a world with very few mushrooms exporters and alot of mushroom importers.
>>
>>1004650
The dev is so endearing
>>
>>1010923
>>1010970
Same thing with eggs, because they are biome limited and have fairly low output overall means they are ridiculously expensive compared to other food types per unit. My last save they were selling for 170 while other raw foods were in single digits. with even meat barely breaking it. Mushrooms are 47, so there must be more producers on my map. Both more valuable than most manufactured goods.
>>
This game is great and the dev seems incredible. Haven't gotten this sucked into a game in a long time
Definietly needs a lot of work still tho
>>
>>1011773
>Definietly needs a lot of work still tho
If you make a post on his Discord/the Steam Discussions he'll probably read it
>>
I really want to like this game and I’ve watched a lot of videos of it, but I can’t get over the pixelated nature of it. Help me please
>>
File: 20220414143647_1.jpg (942 KB, 1920x1080)
942 KB
942 KB JPG
>>1013085
I think it grows on you, really, or at least it stops being bothersome.
What never grows on you or stops being bothersome however is the absolute shitfest that are the latrine sound effects.
>>
>>1013191
>the latrine sound effects.
I can't believe he hasn't fixed this SHIT yet.
>>
>>1013191
I left a comment on the itch page begging for a sound slider or checkbox for the latrine sounds. He really hasn't fixed it yet?
>can't enjoy looking at my thriving city without constant shidding and farding sfx
>>
File: 367.jpg (66 KB, 832x1000)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1002094
FART
.... FART

*fart* *poot*

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAART
>>
>>1008785
>But the game has languished for years
The myth generator was teased literally six years ago. Six years. Zero progress. We're not even at what Toady called "The Big Wait" yet.
Last content update was the fuckall that was villains, two years ago.
Before that, it was raiding five years ago and useless taverns/temples/libraries seven years ago.

DF is utterly fucking dead. Development pace has always been glacial, but at this point it basically joined the ranks of DAZ goblin VNs in being an eternal Patreon scam.
>>
>>1013290
I don't understand why updating menus and adding graphics takes so fucking long for Toady. I would like to find out if he's throwing autistic tantrurms every five minutes or something

TO BE FAIR - I've heard his brother has cancer, so maybe that takes a lot time energy for today, in this case I feel bad for him
>>
>>1001558
so are the citizens actually smart or still dumb?
>>
>>1013290
Hopefully the game will be made open-source and someone else will finish it.
>>
I like the game, then I fire it up and I just don't have the patience to learn it. Too old I guess, still cool game
>>
>>1015967
Age is never an excuse for anything.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (353 KB, 1426x1237)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
Just started on the new build, the archers are rly cool and I just got my first round of walls up.
>>
>20 quid
i think i'll get this for free, thank you.
>>
>>1016016
There's a demo you can try, its made by a solo dev so I'd say buy it if you enjoy it.
>>
>>1016016
There's always people in the discord who hand out copies for free to help the dev.
>>
How to deal with food once you hit 100+ people?
From there I just begin to crumble and eventually die
>>
>>1018168
Build more farms and/or pastures. Buy tools for your farmers and ranchers.
>>
>>1018179
i didnt know there were tools
>>
>>1018185
There are. Go in the "work force" menu and you'll find a submenu to assign them. They're expensive, but very powerful. A great investment for any town.
>>
it's just Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>1018223
show me a fortress with 10,000 dwarfs in DF
>>
>>1018185
As early as 200 pops, use every penny you can to export tools. There's the labourer tab at the top which has a sub menu for assigning tools. Your productivity shoots up when you've got them.

Make sure you unlock some of the early bartering techs to really boost your trade income.
>>
I was told in a steam review that I can enslave an entire sub species in this game, is this true?
>>
>>1018671
yes. I'm not sure what's the practical benefit of doing this though
>>
>>1018223
Except this game is more for macro than micro like DF or Rimworld
>>
File: VILLAGE.jpg (1.28 MB, 1921x1082)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
How autistic am I?
>>
>>1018597
Just how big of a boost are tools to productivity? And which jobs benefit the most?
>>
>>1020049
Without any techs or bonus, giving tools to carpenters increases their output by about 5x.
>>
So I'm interested in this game but I need to know
how finished is it? I do not buy early access games, but is it like 80% done? Is there anywhere to check?
>>
>>1020089
Okay, I didn't expect THAT high a number, damn, I'll invest into tools right away
>>
>>1020091
https://trello.com/b/wF5RYqdF/songs-of-syx
Military stuff is about to move to done category, and he said health is next.
>>
>>1019919
None at all, I do the same.
t. definitively not an autist :)
>>
>>1019919
What’s autistic about this I don’t get it
>>
>>1020286
neat, so its close to being finished
thanks
>>
>>1019919
Plenty. Having two identically symmetrical wells and heaths with such a small population is completely unnecessary.
Even if you had more people, it's better to have a diverse group of need-satisfying buildings and rooms sparsed out so that citizens don't have to walk a lot to get to them to satisfy their needs (eating, washing, pooping, etc).
If a citizen works in a workshop then it'd be better for them to have some way to satisfy all of their most basic needs readily at hand so as to optimize efficiency, and just straight up being able to have your citizens happy.

>>1020689
That's arguable. There's still a few features yet to be added, and I'm not sure if the dev is planning to add more to the already existing list.
From what I can read from >>1020286. Health is only the nearest thing to add to the game besides the new military overhaul.
Dev has already worked on alot, but there's still a few things on the list before it's finished.
>>
File: CHADDUS.png (1.04 MB, 1080x860)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
How do I check what kind of architecture style do my people prefer? I can't find it in the species tab of my citizens.
>>
>>1001558
how similar is it to rimworld?
>>
>>1021548
Not much
Focuses on macro rather than micro (you don't care about the singular individual)
You're going to build massive cities rather than a small settlement
You can get even 10k citizens compared to the 20-30 colonists on Rimworld
>>
>>1021548
It's much larger in scale.

Individuals of a particular race are all the same in Need Requirements except if they're titled nobility.
Sex/gender is a purely cosmetic difference I think, It does not affect the rate at which races reproduce using Nurseries. Same as wild and farm animals.
Seasons pass quickly with very few days conforming a year. you dont need beds for every single pop in your settlement, just like other services, you just need enough vacant beds to satisfy everyone's needs whenever they go looking for the service.

When you draft people for combat you'll be controlling them much more like in a Total War game than in a squad-based strategy game.
The overworld map is divided into territorial regions similar to Total War, each with their own resource production, population and trade percentiles, and each region can be controlled, taxed and conquered using armies, either by you or rival factions.
>>
bumping. Is there a good tutorial for this?
>>
>>1025624
Mostly only practive.

You'll restart and remake cities over and over until you get a decent hold of all of the mechanics of the game and discover the hidden, unexplained ones.
>>
>>1002094
Why i dont play Terraria.
>>
Pretty nice game, I must say I'm impressed.
I'm even more impressed that despite being a java game, it runs really smoothly. Other devs could learn from this guy.
>>
Just picked this game up today. Hardly had time to play but it seems right up my alley. I have a couple thousand hours in RimWorld.
>>
Why the fuck are the immigration icons flashing red?
>>
>>1036882
That specific species' happiness is taking a hit.
Green would mean they are getting buff, usually leading to more immigrants.
>>
Thinking of buying this today. Should I play stable first or just go directly for the beta verson?
>>
>>1038258
Playing BETA should be good.
It merely expands on the content available for combat.
>>
How do I start getting metal? Trading is worthless, so do I really have to build a library, mine my own ore and coal and then research smelting, just to be able to build my first tailor? Older updates were more sensible regarding this. I'm about to remove the iron requirement for tailor workshops for my game, unless I'm missing something about this change.
>>
>>1039021
How is trading worthless? I just bought my first iron to create a bakery etc
>>
>>1039358
I can sell grain for 0, or fruits for like 1 credit.
>>
>>1039377
Oh right. What about hides or meat? If you're able to hunt
>>
>>1039482
I can sell leather from my cow farm, but it would take too long to get enough money, everyone will probably freeze in winter. I will just remove the iron requirement for tailors, it's stupid.
>>
So how does knowledge decay work exactly?
>>
>>1039377
>I can sell grain for 0, or fruits for like 1 credit.
there is a tech called bartering or something, the first two levels are cheap and learning them triples your selling prices
>>
Is there a way to add a door to a wall? Or do I have to click refurnish room for that?
>>
tried to give the demo a shot and it kept crashing. Am I stupid?
>>
>>1020689
>>1020817

I talked to the dev on discord a while back and one of the things he wanted to do in the future is have nobles be more DF-like with their own ambitions and plots to throw a wrench in your own plans.

For example he mentioned a unchecked noble becoming obsessed with power and trying to use magic to become a demi-god, causing a city riot when you inevitably have to take him down
>>
>>1039021
Get the first trading tech after building your first library and then sell whatever resource you have reliable access to that has some value. Fish, fruit, eggs, leather, mushrooms. You only need a limited amount of metal to get started, just buy what you need.

Tailors are also bad at the moment. You're much better off selling fabric than producing clothes.
>>
I hope he makes currency moddable, or even better, replace it with a bartering system. The credits are really weird.
Instead he should use that sithilon ore, and add in refining it to sithilon, and minting coins from it. They would have the best bartering value compared to everything else, where you get a subtraction from the real value because the merchants have to sell what you're trading them. Unless there's a shortage, then it increases the value of that trade good while trading for something else with it.

Also stones and ore shouldn't spoil, I get what he is trying to do, but it's weird and he should turn down the spoilage for a lot of things.
>>
How much food do people eat exactly? 1 food "ration" (not the item) seems to be half a food item? So if I set my population to eat 2 rations, each citizen needs one food item per day? Is that correct?
And how do ranches work? Seems like they need one employee per 8 animals, does that mean they produce whatever the tooltip says per 8 animals per employee?
>>
Is it possible to get the livestock out of a pasture if I want to relocate it or whatever?
>>
>>1043949
Yeah.
>>
>>1044027
How?
>>
>>1044032
Delete the pasture, and all the animals will turn into livestock items.
>>
>>1044037
Thanks, I remember doing that a few updates ago and all the animals just disappearing. The game is coming along really well with those updates.
>>
>>1044064
The more fertile the land under the pasture is, the more animals it can contain.
>>
>>1044073
Seems like medium fertility land is best for pastures, not useful enough for farmland, but doesn't need unreasonable amounts of space and wood to use as pasture.
>>
Rimworld babby here that wants to make a pitstop before tackling Dwarf Fortress. Would you anons say this is a decent middleground when it comes to emergent gameplay, or is it a different beast entirely?
>>
>>1044117
Pop limit is 30k I think. It's simply a different aspect of base building, citizens are just another resource here, unlike rimworld or dorf fort where you are actively managing people and their stats.
>>
>>1044117
It's different.

Despite the similarities in graphics and overworld map generation, I think Rimworld is more similar to Dwarf Fortress than Song of Syx actually.

Individuals are more important in both Rimworld and DF than in Song of Syx, where you manage a massive population and where individuals aren't that important. Syx doesn't have random events like the other two do aside from warlord raids, and you won't be micromanaging almost anything aside from some trades, taxes, and troop formations whenever you're in an offensive or defensive battle (also much closer to Total War than Rimworld or DF).
>>
Rate my humble fishing village
190 people fishing, which is where all my trading income comes from. When I can finally tax my province at 500 citizens, I will be able to switch to good stone buildings instead of wood huts, as I have almost zero stone deposits on this map, just the rocks lying around.
>>
>>1045006
Rome will grow even larger!
At 550 people now, and after setting up iron ore taxes on my province, I am now producing my own iron and tools. Tools are really a game changer, increasing efficiency by up to a factor of 3 depending on the job, allowing me to stop expanding my industrial district and instead supply it with tools to cover the demand for a growing city. Now I just need a second smithy to produce my own weapons and be able to properly defend myself.
>>
Just bought songs of SEX

Can you give me some newb pointers before I boot that bad boy up
>>
>>1046187
Build your throne close to fertile land (there's a map mode to make it easier, or just next to rivers or lakes) and to a forest.
You can build farms into the water, that's where the most fertile land is usually.
Efficiency is important, don't waste manpower on low fertility farms, always try to add the efficiency parts to any workshop to make it 100%.
Your farms should border water to get a 10% irrigitation boost.
Build service buildings like hearths, wells, dormitories and eateries when you want to expand your population, happy population = more immigrants, below 80% happiness you don't get any immigrants.
>>
>>1046200
Oh and always check what your pops are missing to be happy, building a million dormitories won't help if they want a well to wash themselves.
>>
>>1046187
>Your citizens are not Rimworld colonists or DF dorfs. You do not need a bed or service seat for every citizen you have, only so that there's enough to cover all of your citizens' needs.
>Make sure to minimize walking distance between workplaces and services to maximize efficiency and ensure your citizens do not die from not having their needs met.
>Depending on the race and the climate you settle in, your citizens may suffer and die of hypothermia or heatstrokes, make sure to build hearths in cold climates and in winter and have wells or close access to water in hot areas and in summer to prevent this.
>You might not want to build a wood and stone cutter until later as as to not use up the few colonists you start with, trees regrow and you can obtain wood and stone by manually ordering their removal.
>Improved versions of rooms satisfy a citizen's needs to a higher degree than worse versions of them (Sleeping in Appartments make pops happier than sleeping on Dormitories) but these rooms often are more expensive and require special materials to function as well as workers. Make sure you can afford to spend on coal and more manpower in installing a Bathhouse when a simple Well could be better suited at your current progress level, etc.
>You can check each Race's needs and preferences in each Race's menu, it's important to follow these to ensure you keep your colonists happy and prevent emigration, and riots and attract future immigrants,l which are essential for growing small settlements.
>You can change the size of room objects with the Q and E keys. Nowhere in the encyclopedia does the game tell you this, and it was weeks after I bought the game that I discovered this. The game has a lot of badly-cataloged mechanics that you'll ahve to figure out on your own.
>>
Why is trade so feast or famine? Sometimes I get boatloads of what I want and sometimes I get fuck all for years. I just want some god damn metal so I can progress.
>>
>>1046581
Prices vary depending on the dynamically generated abundance or scarcity of certain resources on the world map.
If there are few sources of animal pelts on the world then the pelts will sell for much more than if there were many of them. If you get many mushroom-producing northern kingdoms then it might be cheaper to import them than produce them yourself.
>>
>>1046701
>>1046581
Or do you mean why do traders take so long to arrive to your settlement?

Traders travel real-time through the overworld map to reach your settlement, so you gotta wair for them to get there to get their goods.
They also only ever trade in bulks, so if you dont have 3,000 Credits to buy the minimum 30 Armors they are bringing they are not coming at all.
>>
Will he be adding boats? I love boats. Both for trading and for war.
>>
>>1001645
Why is everything oval shaped?
>>
>>1046710
Some races have room shape and building material type preferences. Some like them square or rectangular, and others prefer more complex shapes.
From the oval shape and wood material of the buildings as well as all those farms for vegetarian foodstuffs, my guess is the city is mostly Cretonians.
>>
>>1046708
There's already boats to transport goods and to transport troops. My last city is on an island and trade still happens as normal.
>>
>>1046816
I also mean like transports that use livestock, but using boats as an upgraded version. A larger city map would make that even more interesting, I think with all the performance improvements he wants to do it should be possible.
And of course boats as units would be amazing, imagine doing some real naval combat with galleys.
>>
>your city is forced into multi-culture
yikes!
>>
>>1047069
You couldn't be further from the truth, my racist friend. You can just not let them in at all, which is what I did, as you have complete control over immigration. But even if you do let them in and want to rectify your mistake, you can simply round a whole species up and have your guards imprison/enslave/execute them according to race.
>>
I bought this game today after pirating it and playing it fucking constantly for weeks. The dev updates it so frequently in meaningful ways that it's not worth it to me waiting for the next person to share the upload. The graphics look really shit in screenshots of it, but in motion they're actually pretty charming.
>>
>>1047131
Also does anyone get get crazy tearing in this game even with vsync enabled?
>>
>>1047152
I wouldn't know, I run at 144hz.
>>
>>1005939
Some races are homogeneously racist towards others and the hit their populations might get to their happiness might make it harder to contro and appeasel; Giants hate humans, and dwarves hate bug """people""".
>>
The v61 Combat Update has now been implemented on the Stable version of the game, not just Beta.
If you're trying out the game through the Demo, then you will be glad to know it has been updated to the v58 version of the full game, so you can try a more recent version of it.

Also, more info on the next update to the game: Health.
>https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1162750/view/3183492678622709139

>Health and Hygiene. Doctors, Medicines, Epidemics, Curfews and Martial Law.
>Retirement Homes and elderly care.
>Private Housing! Maybe each citizen will now be able to have their own bed?
>Changing how some races work, from being able to immigrate to having camps on the world map you can convince to join you.
>New messaging system.
>sprite overhaul to facilitate modding.
>QoL changes and polishing from players' input.
>>
>>1047197
Oh, also something about a new race of ant people that will use the new camps system, just like Cantor giants.
>>
>>1047089
Why are humans so fucking picky? I could barely get them to go over 100 pop without pulling out all the special shit.
>>
>>1047579
What special shit? I am at 600 without bathhouses, canteens, arenas or temples. Just make sure they have full access to the basics and you will easily get over 200.
>>
>>1047197
Oh man that's great news, I've been waiting for it to go to stable, but now I am torn between Airships: Conquer the Skies and this.
>>
Anyone else find the placement of workbenches and other objects within buildings to be a little unintuitive? What do the little half squares mean?
>>
>>1048067
You can place the little half square ones up against a wall, or back to back with other half squares
>>
>>1048072
Ah thank you.
Got another question: are eggs only attainable via hunting and trading at the moment? My Cretonians want eggers but eggers are too damn expensive to buy. Also, why the fuck are eggs so expensive?
>>
>>1048073
I forgot which animal it was called, but the green lizard things. They make eggs when you put them in a pasture. They are restricted to certain climate though, which I also forgot which one it was.
>>
>>1048067
If it's a square with arrow things inside, then it needs to be accessible from an empty square. If it's just a regular square, you can block it with something else. You can also never cut away empty squares in a room by placing something, but if you fill them up first with regular squares, you can place something in front of it no problem.
>>
>>1048073
>>1048083
Certain crops and cattle can only be raised on certain climates, which can be seen on the overworld map when settling on a region by which Rooms have been 'Disabled' due to climate.

Egg-laying lizards can only be raised in hot climates, mushrooms can only be grown in cold climates, etc
If you have a room disabled due to climate you'll have to import it to satisfy your citizens' needs.
>>
>>1048073
>>1048668
Also, on egg price, see: >>1046701
>>
How do I supply my garrison army with weapons and armor? It's sitting around in the supply depots, but my garrison still has no weapons. Do I really have to send it off onto the world map for it to take some weapons?
>>
>>1048679
You assign them weapons and armor from the division tab I think?
>>
>>1048679
They will only grab whatever amount of weapons you assigned them whey are mustered
>>
Are there plans to have random events? I like the game so far but it just feels too easy. I just keep slowly expanding and broadening the services my settlement has. Would be nice to have events to deal with.
>>
>>1048950
You can up the raid chance if you want it to be harder, also a start with less fertility and forests is really hard.
>>
>>1001558
Uh why are we suddenly allowed to market games here? If you wanna talk about the game, go for it, but nobody needs links to the steam page or youtube videos. Fuck off, you dumb shill.
>>
Bump
>>
Bump
Why is nobody posting his cities?
>>
>>1050862
Sorry, Anon. Currently playing Factorio.
I'd like to know what ANons think of the following update though.
>>
>>1001645
nice cock
>>
Looks really interesting, can you build inside mountains ?
>>
dongs of sex
>>
>>1052712
Yeah, some races like Dondorians (Tall Dwarves) and Garthini (Bug People) have preferences for working and living in rooms inside mountains.
>>
Anyone got advice on how to get clothing? It's always my limiting factor, I trade for it and the metal to make the production buildings but I'm always struggling against the lack of clothing to get more migrants so I can actually produce the clothing I need. Stuck in a loop.
>>
>>1053155
Do this and clothing will never be a problem.
>>
>>1053197
Tools are so damn strong, need to figure out how metal works as well
>>
>>1052712
Map and buildings are basically like rimworld without temperature.
>>
>>1053155
Why is your immigration limited by clothing? If you give them enough basic services you should have enough immigrants to carry you up to 500 to start taxing your province for income.
>>
>>1053317
Idk but when I get clothing in I get another 5-10 people that immigrate then the clothing goes down and they stop.
>>
>>1053332
Even at 100% happiness immigrants don't trickle in constantly but come in waves.
In my game I had 0 clothes until about 300 people, and by selling fish I could easily afford 4 clothes per person.
>>
>>1053342
Also playing as the pig guys and just noticed they like round buildings, fuck. I think I just need to pay attention to all of the services better. Also realize I can make clothing from Leather instead of the cloth so making all those cotton farms was a massive waste this early.
>>
>>1053446
You can increase/decrease the size of furniture in every room with q/e
>>
>>1053342
Fish must have been really expensive on your map. Or clothes really cheap.
>>
My city has a ton (3) dorms spread out for it's 200 something citizens. Each has a good like 20 beds or so and don't have high load or low service, but most of the citizens say they have zero dormitory access; what gives?
>>
>>1053672
You sure they're sufficiently spread out? You might need more dormitories of smaller size to ensure short walk distances between dormitories and workplaces.

Alternatively, if you're using Apartments already Dormitories are unnecessary. Essentially, they cover the same overarching Rest Need, but apartments fullfill it to a greater extent at a higher cost and worker requirement.
>>
>>1052712
>>1052871
Not only can you build in mountains, but if you make buildings inside mountains, they will use 'mountain' as the wall material, saving you materials.

Mushroom production in particular thrive inside mountains. You can only get them in cold climates, and as dondorians are not particularly good at farming you're ideally looking to use humans citizens or alternatively cretonian slave labour.
>>
>>1053877
Well, I'm just wanted to start and I have to clue what to do. It's just mountains are cool.
>>
>>1053560
I had half my village fishing at 2.2 fish per day per worker and selling them for 19 credits. Clothes cost about 22 so it was much easier to have people fishing than producing clothes. Anyways you don't need clothes until you get big enough to afford them anyways.
>>
>>1053725
Do they stop having 'access' to it when I have apartments instead? The same is occurring with the basic food building (the one that doesn't use coal): Can you basically remove these lower tier versions of stuff as you go along? I guess I assumed since they all had separate icons that the civvies wanted both.
>>
>>1054534
The big bar on each service group is how happy people are with that service. If it's fully green, improving it won't change their happiness. As your population grows, so does your peoples entitlement, so it becomes impossible to fill that bar with lower tier services. If you mix in some higher tier services, you will make them happy again. There's no need to go full high tier service until your people are too unhappy with a mix of both.
>>
>>1054534
>Do they stop having 'access' to it when I have apartments instead?
If a citizen can sleep in an apartment instead of a dormitory they will choose to do so. Their need for sleep/accommodations/whatever-it's-called will be fulfilled either way, but to a greater extent when resting on apartments.

>Can you basically remove these lower-tier versions of stuff as you go along?
I think you can, but it's not always a good idea to do so. Low-tier Need satisfying rooms have less to no maintenance and operating costs, and you dont want your population to rebel because you had a coal deficiency and you couldn't afford to run the bathhouse and you removed all of the wells.

>>1054813
Pretty much this. Of course, you don't need to fulfill the needs of your slaves to the same degree as those of your regular population. They will require special treatment. You don't need to make them happy but you do have to suppress them to prevent rebellions and escapees.
>>
Can I lower the volume of the shitting sounds?
>>
I like dwarf fortress a lot
Will I like this?
>>
File: FIMWgeJWQAA4XvC.jpg (37 KB, 683x660)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1055067
No
>>
>>1055212
Depends on why you like dwarf fortress
>>
>>1055212
You'll probably enjoy it the most if you like the macro'y parts of DF: building a hugely populated village/mountainhome/whatever, seeing it be busy with industry and stuff. Less if what's important to you about DF is the sort of wacky randgen things, and smaller scale details; individual colonists for example aren't usually important or memorable and there's thousands of them.
>>
>>1056068
Already bought it and, gotta say, it's extremely enjoyable. I don't like the aspect of how to control the populations happiness since it seems extremely simple being food abundance and just having shitters around, but everything else is great. The art is very charming, the music is great and the combat system from what I've seen in the videos I watched is not something I expected, but a very pleasant surprise as to how he's done it. Overall, glad I bought it, I now have something to really sink my teeth into until tarkov arena and dwarf fortress steam
>>
>>1056210
Happiness demands increase with higher population. You can get to around 1k people with 100% access to the basic services (dormitory, eatery with 2 rations, shittery, hearth and wells) + some extras like clothing, but then it gets hard.
Also the news speaker is amazing. It educates people as well as entertain them, make sure that service is always at 100%, it's so cheap as well.
>>
>>1056210
I think one element that's missing of the game is random events.
Right now the worse thing that can happen to you are raids, and those happen on the regular and you're always prepared for them.
Things like natural disasters, random monsters roaming the map attacking your settlement, plague and internal and external political threats are non-existant.
>>
>>1056706
I agree. At it is, it's quite enjoyable, but it'd be more interesting with little random things to divert your gameplay periodically.
>>
>>1056706
I think he wants to add health related stuff next update, which will include plagues and stuff.
>>
>>1057012
Hopefully, with randomly occurring diseases and such depending on the season, and not just 'Your citizens' health bar is low because they dont have access to a doctor, they are now ill'.
>>
File: latrine.png (95 KB, 192x230)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
the 'poop with a friend' latrine is the superior design
>>
>>1058450
It's incredibly inefficient, because odds are that it's gonna get 100% clogged all the time since the designated cleaner is not always going to be near it, and there's only 2 holes.
>>
>>1058489
I have 2 holes and I'm not always clogged.
>>
>>1058493
ew gross anon
>>
>>1047197
>Private Housing! Maybe each citizen will now be able to have their own bed?

i love the idea of a city building that dosent feel like a complete communist utopia and my people do have some minimal independence.
o wish more city building games did that, like while i deal with the macro aspects of the city adn war my citizens do the micro of farming their food build their house, so i dont have to ctrl+c ctrl+v the same house 100 every half hour as my city grow
>>
>>1060451
>like while i deal with the macro aspects of the city adn war my citizens do the micro of farming their food build their house, so i dont have to ctrl+c ctrl+v the same house 100 every half hour as my city grow
I think Foundation (2021) does this. Haven't tried it and I'm not sure there's much to the game but city-building, but you might want to check it out.
>>
>>1060460
https://store.steampowered.com/app/690830/Foundation/
>Organic urbanism
>Create gridless and organically sprawling cities that grow like medieval cities of the period. Plan the construction of various workplaces and watch as the villagers create natural paths and build their own houses. Intuitively paint zones to define areas like housing, farming, gathering and more.
You seem to be right. It might be worth trying.
>>
>>1061056
Songs of syx should use the same system for private housing, you just designate an area and the resulting houses/paths are out of your control
Foundation is more like a tech demo though last time I played it, not very complex
>>
>>1061218
It's slowly getting there, they'e revamping taxation and markets next
>>
>>1061218
I doubt that it would work given how populous your city gets, the map would be covered in homes in no time.
>>
>>1061602
Just like real life
>>
>>1061218
I'm not sure it world really work, since in Foundation the houses are individual entities that gen constructed, while on Song of Syx what actually counts is beds, and the rooms can be of any particular shape the player chooses. At least I dont think it would work for large-scale, compact city building.
>>
>>1061775
Just have the rooms auto generated with different quality levels depending on occupation/wealth of the owner. Poor people = similar to dormitories, lots of beds per room, rich people = one bed in a big room and then they're placed randomly in the designated area.
>>
>>1061056
my dad actually likes this one quite a bit
>>
>>1061775
>>1062262
You'd have to add another layer of generation to it
>A house this big/comfy would satisfy me
>Zone has so and so resources/people dedicated to it
>Zone has set so and so people per house, target comfy level is ###%
>Generate a valid floor plan with however many beds required, keeping room for pathing inside and reserving at least 1 tile around itself (outside its walls) for outside pathing in alleyways, only one entrance/exit for simplicity
>Generate a valid placement for that floor plan in the zone, insuring that access to other floor plans isn't blocked. Allow shared walls on sides that do not contain the entrance
>Finally, validate the zone plan of floor plans with pathing checks to each bed from outside the zone
Stuff like "don't plan over roads" or "use already existing walls" would probably be ideal. This would work easiest with very simple 4 sided hovels, but it might work for larger and non-square structures too (instead of 'side' think 'the axis between bed and entrance/exit'). Luckily there's enough randomness in the interior accessories that even a grid of 4x4s or whatever wouldn't look too bad.
>>
My immigration was at a trickle but hot damn, as soon as I plonked down some flats and a graveyard it went insane. Took my settlement over 10 years to hit 100 pop and less than another year to hit 200. Now I have to accommodate all these new Cretonians.
>>
How do I build something aesthetically pleasing
Every city I make ends up looking like Kowloon
>>
>>1065106
Pre-plan as far ahead as you're willing to think.
Try out all the brush tools, remember that shift+whatever tool = remove designation, makes it easy to do more complex things.
Most importantly, keep as much open space as you're willing to leave between buildings. On my main roads I like to keep a 3 tile green space (for use by torches/statues/trees later) on each side of 3 tiles of path. Going down to 2 green space on each side of 2 tile roads for side paths (enough room for torches and the mid-sized trees/statues). Even the smallest dead-end alleys are 2 tiles wide, 1 green and 1 path.
>>
>trying to do humans only to see how it works out
>scrounge up around 800 humans between immigration and nurseries
>no more immigration is happening, even have booze but they're too damn needy
>don't want to build even more nurseries as food is already borderline - baking the last of my grain just before the year's first harvest, but just shy of getting to administration to start taxation
>open up to 100 dondorians to work in my mines, 100 tilapi to work my ranches/forestry, and 100 cretonians to work my farms
>they flood in even with minimum rations and labor settings ignoring satisfaction
>now that humans don't have to do hard labor there are literally 200+ wanting in at any given time
>i am now a neoliberal
>>
>>1065142
>letting migrants in to do the unpleasant jobs
>not acquiring slaves
You can do better.
>>
Do archers feel lackluster to anyone else? My fully trained archers seem pretty shit at actually killing enemies compared to just blobbing with more infantry. Defending with them seems fine but attacking feels off.
>>
>>1065499
well that's basically what archers do
been a long time since playing too, how have things been going?
>>
>>1065106
Don't try to minmax space. There's enough of it regardless. Make a wide road just cause. Freehand it for a more organic look. Consider one square like one meter in width. Almost nowhere will you find streets that narrow.
>>
File: map.jpg (3.54 MB, 3394x2533)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
So it seems the best way to build rooms is as large as possible right? I tried building several smaller flat houses and ended up with about 15 works doing their job 10% of the time. Stuffing more workshops in one room greatly increases the amount of people that can work there. I'm not very creative with room design so everything ends up looking like squares and bricks
>>
>>1066649
You can pack the room items much tighter than you are doing there, and having more distributed, smaller buildings has upsides as well. You need services and logistics for the workers, and if you have a gigantic manufactory then you can't build enough of those around it and it becomes inefficient as people have to travel farther to get what they need.
>>
File: game.jpg (1.13 MB, 1918x1076)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>1066892
I just use haulers so the workers don't need to move at all except for services at the end of the street. I'm almost at the point where I can rely on taxes for all of my food so I'll be able to completely redo my city from the ground up once I yank up all my farms.
>>
>>1066649
>The commieblocks expand INTO the mountain.
Wew

Also, I'm not sure, but you might not be taking into consideration room shape/building material for pop happiness.
>>
>>1067030
But why do you build chinese sweatshops?
>>
File: SongOfSyx.webm (2.92 MB, 1250x702)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
>>1067145
It's more space efficient. Your citizens already path through workshops so separating every structure with alleyways isn't really necessary. I'm going to eventually move everything so it's far more efficient than what I have currently. I just slapped down whatever I needed and doubled it whenever I was running out.

I'm thinking of doing a kind of ring/layered city with industry/trade in the center,services in the next ring and dorms/Libraries/Admin/etc on the outside. I plan to conquer as much of the map as possible so I'll need stupid amount of admin/paper/wood and the population to go with it.

Alternatively I could make smaller independent sectors with exactly the number of beds needed for the jobs in that area. Plus with fences you can force your citizens to walk past statues/guards/trees for the nice area bonuses. Maybe make it one way in/out to guarantee everyone gets their daily dose.
>>
Long-distance logistics is fucking retarded. I have a clay mine miles away from my city, yet there is no convenient way of delivering more than one resource to it, so its development is stunted by the fact that the clay diggers have to cut a few dozen trees before they can build anything. Their diet is limited to whatever the caravan guy decides to deliver this day.
>>
>>1067175
Maybe but it looks like crap, are those few % efficiency worth it?
>>
>>1067383
Haulers need improvement, you should be able to allocate percentages to each resource, so he can transport a mix of them. Also being able to specify a warehouse from which he will take the resources. Then it would be as simple as having a small food warehouse somewhere in the city, hauler comes in, takes x of each, and goes on his way.
>>
>>1067391
The cattle-driven cart also takes forever to load. I might as well just wait for some guy to make the journey from one warehouse to another.
>hauler comes in, takes x of each
This. Why could the regular trader code not be used? They already do that.
>>
>>1067384
I'm a firm believer of function over form when going for as big a city as possible. I haven't gotten past 5k population yet but in other games like Dwarf fort,timberborn.oxygen not included,space haven,banished etc. I've found that pathfinding and travel time are the most important parts of having a successful colony. Minimizing the time and civs it takes to get resources from one spot to where it's needed is huge if you plan on making a giant city. I've seen screenshots of 20k pop cities and my goal is to get even bigger than that.

Once I do my redesign I'll make sure everything looks much nicer anyway. Less giant commieblocks and more rounded corners for that organic bonus+fitting some lights/statues around the corners for extra bonuses.
>>
>>1067536
This game is different, citizens are so productive with tools + technology that your only pop limit is the 40k(?) hard limit. Also taxes are basically free infinite resources. You can have 50% of your population idling and still thrive, a few % efficiency decrease from longer pathfinding doesn't matter here.
>>
>>1013205
Why would he fix this shit ? Jannies do it for free
>>
File: 1649783135901.png (4 KB, 244x21)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
titles are permanent unlocks right? or do you need to unlock them each time
also are there any mods worth using currently
>>
>>1068199
Yes, titles are permanent. Once you unlock a title you can use it every time you start a new game
>>
File: 1632916386421.jpg (56 KB, 750x750)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
One thing that rubs me the wrong way about this game are the graphics. It feels like a cheese grater on my eyes, it's really fucking noisy and grainy.
>>
File: unknown.png (705 KB, 1767x1093)
705 KB
705 KB PNG
private housing
>Done with one variation out of dozens. This would be considered a middle class human area.
>>
i tried the demo

it's just df but worse?
>>
>>1069288
Worse? No. Different. For one, this game can handle havign a city of thousands.
>>
>>1069284
>you will live in the pod
I want real houses
>>
File: unknown.png (2.26 MB, 1737x948)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB PNG
>>1069682
Silence. Return to your pod in block D, Unit #436, or your rations will be reduced.
>>
>>1070636
I love it
>>
For me its organic growth with an increase in planning as the city grows and gains functionality. Now at 2k pop and just built my first courthouse and university, also my first major use of cut stone and any use of gems.
Also building over old farms/woodcutting feels so damn good, pure progression. But the farms I still have look so nice, even if I am selling like 5k each of grain/fruit/meat due to taxation...
>>
Got this a while back and it looked good, but I wanted to wait for more content. Now booting it up.
What am I in for?
>>
why is the dev like this
>>
>>1071609
Who's ready to fill that position up
>>
>>1071609
what the heck is a master baiter?
Also, it really triggers me that you can build canals every fucking where and no actual need of a body of water of farming around rivers
>>
File: 1536570188386.jpg (62 KB, 440x412)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1070636
>>
>>1072185
>what the heck is a master baiter?
It's the noble position which boosts fishing.
>>
Just started playing this. How do I increase my population at the start? Am I supposed to let in all immigrants of all races or focus on one or two?
>>
>>1072949
I'm a newer player but it I'd say stick to one race for the time being because all of their needs will be the same qnd it'll be easier to manage.
The more you expand your services, the more immigrants will be attracted to your settlement. Housing, eateries, entertainment, lavatories, wells, and a graveyard will boost your immigration.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.12 MB, 1916x1080)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
Why wont the game give me this new title so I can go and restart my city?
>>
>>1072987
Oh I figured it out, the Cantors are little stuck up bitches. Is there any way to expel them from my city since everyone else is 100% happy?
>>
>>1072993
Yes, go to the law tab and banish them there
>>
>>1073009
But you might need some guards, not sure.
>>
>>1072993
>banishing warriors of the gods
anon, I...
>>
I can never figured which version I'm at, but its been so long no doubt there must be plenty of updates
>>
I built a huge university campus with lots of libraries to get rid of my old ugly copy pasted libraries. Holds about 125k knowledge and all the amenities the 175 librarians and 100 students + service staff need.
>>
>>1073518
Then I drained this part of the river to build huge fruit farms, all of them have >90% fertility. I bought a lot of cretonian slaves so they will make themselves useful there.
>>
Well fuck me, for one its been so long its the first time I saw that launcher, but then the fucker just wont fucking start, and apparently not a single other soul had this issue
>>
So i just got this game and am currently having a blast.
/blog post.
>>
>>1073518
I like it. Form > Function. I hate all the screenshots of this game that are just giant grids with fuckhuge max size square or rectangle workshops. Your university looks good.
>>
>>1073533
Well fuck me2
So even Steam failed to launch so I decided that maybe it was time for a long overdue sys-upgrade
its been literally hours waiting to finish, I'm already past bedtime, my fever going from bad to worse, and still not finished
All I wanted was to chill a bit in the game
>>
>>1073666
post your build faggot
>>
>>1073518
Man, I wish my cities looked like this. I always end up with freestanding square/rectangle buildings so things look boring as hell.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1.66 MB, 1884x1862)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
What do you guys think of my first city?
I've noticed you need an absolute ton of people to produce much of anything, so I'll set up a couple of farming villages and then build a huge library to get some progression going.
>>
File: da grid.png (228 KB, 620x310)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>1073670
Blame modern urban planning that focused on function over form and didn't account for everyone having a car, booming population, and the death of aesthetic architecture
>>
>>1074349
I like it. You would probably be better off with dormitories instead of apartments this early though.
Also, if you press Q/E while placing down items you can increase or decrease their size
>>
>>1074349
Very cute, I just started playing after a fucklong time, and a bit lost btw
you're doing fine
>>
>>1069177
It IS the middle ages where everything is covered in filth, shit and blood.
>>
>>1075089
>t. Hollywood executive
>>
>>1074349
The layout and shapes of the buildings look veryy cool. The interiors look a bit cramped.
>>
>>1075089
>how do you know he's the king?
>he hasn't got shit all over him
>>
File: 1617703277547.jpg (76 KB, 828x1032)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
I love this game so much, but I think I accidentally killed it for myself when I discovered you could just farm vast amounts of opium, sell it, and then buy everything you need, with the pig orcs as farmers and insects as soldiers. I was rolling in so much dosh I had a huge reserve of jewelry that I could sell off in emergencies and I'd cornered the opium market for selling as well as created a monopsony for jewelry and armour.

It feels like I cheesed so much I can't enjoy it.

wat do
>>
>>1075441
Yeah, when I played I felt like trading is OP or producing stuff is UP
Maxing out the production of some resource and selling it while buying other stuff seems to be the best way to have big cities
Kinda sad since you don't need to care about many production lines if you do that
>>
>>1075441
but that's not an exploit, you're supposed to do some trading to supply with stable sources of some items, like for example iron ingots you can only get initially from trading, and that's pretty expensive
maybe it could a lucky roll, given that opiates are a rare resource and maybe need some balancing, but for example leather used to be the meta, being largely available through hunting and awarding large bucks in previous version
>>
>>1075459
>>1075464
Maybe the game needs random starting location. Donno if that's an option, haven't touched it in 2 months. At least that way you are forced to reckon with the hand that you are dealt.
>>
>>1075492
You can just close your eyes, move the mouse around randomly and click at some point
>>
>>1075492
I think the exactly opposite, there should be the option for a more structured campaign or standalone scenarios where you are presented with various challenges (limited space for building, lack of resources, shitty fertility, no wood, expensive/limited trade, strong raids etc) and you having to deal with those problems either as free-play or trying to achieve some target population/happiness level. Imagine something like Caesar 3.

The game is pretty fun as it is, but more in a "build an aesthetic city" sort of way.
>>
How to handle logistics in this game, to me it seems like its key to have smaller sectional warehouses for each for the useful industry around, however I'm curious how to optimize that, and even in terms warehouse next to production, is there anything to prevent a hauler just going every fucking second to get like one of two pieces of production?
>>
Does anyone else only cut patches of the forestry to it grow again by itself?
>>
Also, why did they fuck around and made these import/export posts only usable for a single resource, it really bothers me
even though now you can conduct trade manually, sort of helps out a bit
>>
btw, have you guys paid any attention to the quotes?
>>
>>1076192
Yeah, I like the quotes. There are some references I don't understand but it adds some personality.
>>
>>1076185
Forests will regrow even from a complete cut.
>>
I made a little outpost, seems a bit pointless now
>>
Also building a sort of industrial expansion, somehow I always end up building around a river, even though there is bridge building or way to easy crossing over
>>
>>1078136
I like outposts, I wish the map was much bigger for them to be useful
>>
File: unknown.png (207 KB, 1215x998)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
dev posting pictures of what the tech tree will look like next update.
>>
Made another outpost, this for the ore mine that is near the edges of the mountain
>>
>>1078610
well that looks a heck lot more tidier,
btw, how do libraries work nowadays?
I think they used to have a max cap on how much scrolls you could have total, needing lots of shelves to accommodate more knowledge, doesn't seem to be the case anymore?
>>
>>1079003
Scrolls are consumed on a daily basis. If you don't have scrolls, your library produces knowledge at a rate of 25%. Like with other production building, shelves are an accessory that you need enough of to retain base 100% efficiency.

The only cap on how much knowledge a library produces is how many people it employs.
>>
>>1079043
Ok, just clarification, what mean consuming scrolls, is actually paper item, I mean actual scrolls were something else
Maybe it changed in versions or not, but you used to have a max cap how much a singular library could give you of knowledge (== item scroll),
the librarian would write it up, create scrolls and fill shelves with it,

regardless of how it changed, its just a bit confusing because of the game describe it, in that pic related
>estimation of how much knowledge can be produced and maintained
Which sort of infers there is a max cap, as one would conclude from previous version experience, that it also includes whatever was already allocated with unlocked techs
either way, it still doesn't make all the sense what number means, as its always changing as well
>>
The library now is like any other production facility, it consumes paper to increase efficiency to 1.0 and then produces knowledge points, there's no inherent cap but they decay while in "storage" just like regular items, so the game tells you an estimation of how much your library can actually maintain.
>>
>>1079268
Also knowledge production needs to be maintained for total knowledge acquired (including bought techs), otherwise it will slowly fall, and then you will start to lose known techs.
Essentially, you must maintain a steady R&D department, and you are soft-capped technologically at any given pop size by what % of your workforce you can pin to R&D tasks.
>>
Are there fires/flamable buildings in Song of Syx? I was making a wooden village and I'm kind of worried of a riot/thunderstorm burning the whole wooden village down.
>>
>>1080428
I don't think there is much of an issue in that regard, its mostly about what resource are more readily available for you, and that species also tend to have a preference for each building type
though later in game there can be battles where they destroy structures, but I never got into that myself
>>
Trying to make an elf city, but holy shit actually round buildings are pure cancer, i had to give up on the big ones and just made them pseudo round since im losing massive amounts of space otherwise
>>
>>1080954
You can make the buildings fit into each other by making concave shapes as well.
>>
>>1081170

i sorta wanted to make circle shapes to simulate tree trunks but after a couple of tries i gave up, not only fitting things in there is super annoying but at some point the inefficiency of the city becomes too big and its hard to get past certain amount of people
>>
Playing this for the first time, is it normal that I can't get rid of screentearing via V-sync or even externally forced VSync?
>>
>>1080428
No. Disasters like weather, fires, illnesses and such are not implemented yet.

You'll mostly want to match a room's building materials with the preferences of the races that will be working in/using the room, since some prefer wood and others stone, cave walls, and so.
>>
>>1082355
No, it's not normal. Let me guess, you have an nvidia card?
>>
>>1082472
Yup. Common problem?
>>
>>1082520
I don't know if it's common, I just guessed because I have an AMD gpu and I'm able to force vsync successfully in Syx.
>>
File: FuckingMess.jpg (528 KB, 1043x609)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
This game reminds me of Factorio so far

Cause just like in Factorio I just build ugly shit and hope it kinda works out
>>
How do you remove unwanted torches and decorations in this game? I'm a dumbass, someone help.
>>
>>1084191

there is a delete stuff panel at the right side of the construction buttons, you have options to delete rooms, delete jobs and remove things
>>
>>1084308
Thanks. I thought that was exit.
>>
Do pastures just have low as fuck yields or am I doing something wrong? I'm getting pretty paltry amounts of meat. Hunters killed all the wildlife and I've got to feed my Dondorians.
>>
>>1085259
They don't seem to give shit in terms of produce, BUT they do give you Livestock units for the storage, and you need that for the temples later.
>>
>>1085259
Pastures have a button underneath the production value of meat that lets you slaughter all of the animals at once for meat. In my very limited testing, 15 Entelodents provide 340-400 meat when slaughtered.

Assuming the worst case scenario above is accurate, and also assuming 0 tech:

>slaughtered entelodents provide 340 meat
>they sell individually for anywhere between 50 - 80 without tech depending on your map (300-500 with tech)
>meat can be purchased anywhere between 30-50 per individual item

If you want to produce meet, you want to build enough pastures so that your livestock quantities are self sustaining while carrying out frequent manual slaughtering.
>>
>>1085259
Run it like a farm
>Fill up pasture
>Stock newborn cattle until you can immediately refill the pasture
>Slaughter all
>repeat
Meat/cotton gained during the growth period is just bonus. And unlike farms, you have the option of never harvesting to sell the 'seeds' for crazy profit.

Also, reduce your hunting staff until you see clusters of wildlife along the map edge. You'll end up with a steady low flow of hunting - which makes sense as you can't hunt for a village of multiple hundreds to thousands in such a small area. Too bad the hunters can't travel off map to hunt.
>>
I don't understand some of the building material needs. The masonry, the building in which you turn stone into cut stone, requires cut stone in its construction. That's dumb as fuck.
>>
>>1074433
Everyone having a car is the fault of modern urban planning
Not the other way around, you wouldn't need a car in non modern cube city
>>
>>1085259
>Pastures no worky
I use that and hunting as my primary money-makers in the early to mid game.
I generally get $8/meat and roughly 85/livestock on export at start, and it can go up to 30/600 later on with bonuses. You get 3 meat/day per tender with tools, and 0.12 livestock per day. It equates to roughly $160/day per hand, though you should be saving the livestock up for growth as much as you can. That's the exponential growth factor.
Slaughtering all is a desperation move, ignore other anons saying to do that. Slaughtering 80 livestock gives you 1000 meat, or $30,000 worth, however you lose about $50,000 worth of livestock to get it. Livestock is always more valuable than meat, especially since it grows more livestock.

Max out your hunters, cover the map, set up hunting shacks with dorms/eateries/warehouses and several transporters that will bring the meat/leather to your central trade depot once you get transporters unlocked.
My hunting shack has 8 hunters + 8 transporters. It produces 3,000 meat and 2,000 leather each year, which sell for $30 each. I think there's 20 days/yr, so that's $470/day/person.
Fill the map with hunters if you want money. Then fill it again with ranches. Beeline transporters and commerce upgrades.
>>
>>1085576
Get the full game, that's been changed.
>>
>>1086196
>>1086196 (You)
For meat, still don't slaughter until you've maxed out your ranches. You want to keep up your exponential growth with livestock.
Meat production is vastly lower yield than grain. It's how the game is, how the real world is. Something to consider when choosing races, is a meat-eating race really that efficient when it takes so many more people to produce 1 meat than it does to produce 1 bread or 1 apple?

A Dondorian requires meat basically. You get +80% to mining and +60% to a few other jobs.
A Human requires bread. You get at least 13 grain/day on a farm, which gets converted to bread at a rate of 30/day at a bakery, which costs 2 coal which is made at a rate of 4/day, which costs 8 wood which is made at a rate of 12/day. This means that you can produce over 12 bread/day with 1 worker, versus 3 meat/day with 1 worker. Your humans cost 25% as much food-labor as your Dondorians.
I currently have 17% of my only human colony on bread production. For an only Dondorian colony, I would require 67% of my colony for meat production.

All so I could get a +80/+60 on a few tasks...
>>
File: pastures.png (484 KB, 1360x768)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>1086196
>Slaughtering all is a desperation move, ignore other anons saying to do that. Slaughtering 80 livestock gives you 1000 meat, or $30,000 worth, however you lose about $50,000 worth of livestock to get it. Livestock is always more valuable than meat, especially since it grows more livestock.

You're wrong. At least assuming you're playing a temperate map, which you should, because the cold and warm maps have game-breakingly overpriced goods. If you want meat, you get more meat slaughtering the livestock than you would selling the livestock and using the proceeds to buy the meat.

Slaughtering 100 entelodents gets you 3000 meat. I tested this yesterday, picture attached. As far as I am aware, tools do not increase how much meat is produced from butchering, but this is something I could be wrong about.

With a neutral race, like humans, and without tech you will produce on average 14 livestock a year with a 100 entelodent pen allowing for spoilage. With tools, you can increase this to 24, again allowing for spoilage.

3000 meat is $150,000. Even assuming livestock sells for $625 as per your example, which would require tech investment to achieve, 100 livestock is worth $62,500. If you allow for the passively generated livestock lost, which is assuming your bottleneck is your number of livestock and not your workforce/pasture space, the 14-24 livestock you would have generated is worth $8,750.00 - $15,000.00. Being generous and allowing for spoilage tech, even with 30 livestock produced a year you're only losing $18,750 plus $7,000 - $15,000 of passively generated meat.

tl;dr
>100 livestock slaughtered
>$150,000 worth of meat acquired
>-$62,500 worth of livestock lost from the slaughtering
>-$8,750 - $18,750 worth of passively generated livestock lost
->$7,000 - $15,000 of passively generated meat
>$53,750 meat profit acquired
>>
>>1086263
Why would you ever buy meat? Of course selling livestock and buying meat is less efficient, it's almost never worth it to import things unless you can't make them yourself. Same calculation could be made for selling the meat you made and buying the livestock you lost with the slaughtering, it's stupid. You're imagining profit that doesn't exist, because you'd never buy meat, you could just expand your ranches to fill your demand.
Selling livestock while keeping the meat means your farms make loadsamone and produce meat as a byproduct, which invalidates these calculations as well >>1086215
You almost get paid to produce meat, especially if you have elves as slaves, absolutely ridiculous money compared to the investment and tech needed.
Build some ranches, throw slaves at them, wait until they're full -> profit and meat
>>
>>1086308
>You're imagining profit that doesn't exist, because you'd never buy meat, you could just expand your ranches to fill your demand.
Not the guy you're talking to, but you obviously are inexperienced and have never made a big city. Pens take an enormous amount of space compared to the meat that they produce, so if you have a large city, you'll never actually meet the demand for meat. Even if you could, it would still be more efficient to make, for example, tools or jewelry and export those to buy meat, because you get a lot more wealth per worker than you do with animal husbandry. And not only that, but you save a huge amount of space too.
>>
>>1004928
The English murdered a full third of your aristocracy in one battle while the italian footballers you hired shat themselves and ran away.
>>
>>1086308
>why would you ever buy meat
Because the only other way to provide enough meat on four daily rations to your pops is to buy meat? Have you even played this game beyond 100 pops? The meat pastures provide passively is almost inconsequential.

>>1086312
As mentioned here, the space you would need to self sustain meat production would be immense. Pastures do not require many workers, but they do take up a tremendous amount of space. This means you need to build additional services to cover a relatively small number of workers that happen to be situated far away from your central hubs due to the scale of the pastures.
>>
Trying to get meat by yourself is dumb, just live from fishes which are much easier and reliable to produce and tax meat from neighbors, taxing meat is the only reliable way of getting it
>>
>>1086322
>>1086312
I have a city with 2.5k people and I have 80 elves working the pastures providing enough meat for everyone. I had so much meat I turned it into rations at some point, and it doesn't even take up valuable land. And that's not even talking about simply taxing provinces for meat, it's literally one of the last things I'd buy.
>>
>>1086312
>>1086322
Fired up the game, so that's almost 5 meat per slave per day + 86 credits for selling the livestock. The land it uses is worthless, the slaves cost me almost nothing, maintaining 3.5k knowledge for the production boost is trivial, it's just food and extra money.
Yeah sure you can turn the map into a gigantic jewelry sweatshop and pretend you're the CEO of foxconn, but what's the point of this game for you? Clicking the same button over and over to increase meat production by x% is not my definition of fun, unless you like cookie clicker games. Just build more pastures bro.
>>1086263
With my production rates:
>100 livestock produce 40-45 livestock per year, lets say 2.7 per day
>100 livestock produce 900-1k meat passively per year, lets say 60 per day
After slaughtering you need to replace the 100 livestock, so profit lost depends on how much livestock you have in total. If you have 200 livestock and slaughter 100, it would take 26 days to replace them. In that time the livestock would have produced 1560 meat and 100 livestock.
So slaughtering nets you 3k meat, while not slaughtering nets you 1560 meat and 100 livestock, clearly superior in my opinion.
Now if you have 1000 livestock and slaughter 100, it would take 4 days to replace them. In that time it would have produced just 240 meat and 10 livestock, making slaughtering more attractive.
If I wanted to slaughter 100 livestock every day for minmaxing, I'd need 3900 livestock to keep that up. I'd rather just build more pastures honestly, it's much easier, until the dev adds some automation for slaughtering, and even then it's more of a late game thing.
>>1086368
Yeah fishes are pretty good as well, especially early on selling them is great. But once you build up knowledge and elf slaves it becomes almost equal in production to fish, while requiring less knowledge.
>>
There is an option to create diagonal walls, why doesnt anybody use it? Does it look bad or do they just not know it exists
>>
>>1086476
There is?
>>
File: unknown.png (516 KB, 1772x775)
516 KB
516 KB PNG
dev posted more update on private housing
Dondorian - Cantor - Human - Cretonian - Garthimi - Tilapi
Garthimi is getting some animation mushroom shit later, which is why theirs looks empty
>>
File: diagonals.png (3.14 MB, 1968x1251)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB PNG
>>1086263
I should note I was being a bit aspy and talking just about money even though anon was talking about meat production for food, so there's some confusion generated by me here.
I trade around 1:20 in price for meat/livestock, regardless of tech.
I got 13.66 meat per pig slaughtered without tech (most of my economy is hunters, I have other priorities for humans). Others apparently get 30. The math behind slaughtering is obscured, so I don't know why there's a difference, since max techs only boosts production x1.68. Must be the elven slaves also affect the slaughter output, though then it would be 44 per pig, not 30... ???
I guess it depends on how much meat you get from a slaughter, if it's better than 20 per pig, the math will work out in its favor.

Though I still think it's best to aim for exponential growth and slaughter only when you start to outstrip your pop growth's ability to man the pastures or space, commercial concerns aside.
Compound interest rules all. Once you hit a ceiling somewhere, yes, slaughter cycles are what's left to do if you must get meat as the priority, and commercial interests depend on the above slaughter ratio.

I still think it's better to just run bread species, for simplicity if nothing else. I have not yet tried elf slaves, and the dwarf in me now demands it for Armok. Thanks for the hint, anons.

>>1086476
It looks fine on the outside, but on the inside it's still blocky. I use diagonals often for fancy buildings, but until we can rotate room contents by 45deg, it's not even that useful for anything but aesthetics. See my new palace for an example. The interior still looks orthogonal (and I hate the black walls).
>>
>>1087021
Where's the post? His twatter has nothing about it.
>>
It's absolutely retarded that mushroom farms can fall victim to "extra materials" if you make them too large. Makes no sense.
>>
>>1087416
I think that's supposed to represent artificial caves needing supports, but it doesn't make sense for an outside mushroom farm.
>>
>>1087459
I figured that, but you can make massive empty "rooms" inside mountains with no restrictions. Kinda silly.
Also, how is "access" calculated with regards to services?
>>
>>1087021

it looks dumb, like its already hard enough to fit workbenches and the like in non square buildings and now you are supposed to fit every single citizen into a 3x3 box that wont fit anywhere actually organic and will occupy massive amounts of space, specially if every room belongs to a citizen thats ridiculous, it would mean that the space you use right now for dormitories is probably going to be between 5 and 10 more times all the while dormitories already occupy a ridiculous amount of space
>>
How do tools affect things like farms?, do they produce more or its just less work for the same product ?
>>
is he planning on implementing caravan raids? I need to build an insect bandit city
>>
>>1087671
What's the difference between this and apartments in terms of organic?
I do agree, especially on space. With apartments, you get a ~3:1 ratio of citizens per. Here, it's 1:1. He will have to make map sizes at least 2-4x the size, and then rebalance every need/service to account for all the extra space you're using for housing. I have 1250 people in my current settlement, and it already takes up nearly a quarter of the map. Not sure how I'd ever fit 40,000 into a standard map, nevermind with houses implemented.
I did complain to him, though, to at least make it less standardized and give the player some freeform construction. If you have it on Steam, check the recent news, his latest update links to where you can talk to him directly.
If enough people ask for flexibility on houses, we will get it, otherwise it will be apartments v2.
I'm not upset with it, especially if it's only for a certain class of resident (he says "subjects", not sure what the definition is there), the current system is just gamey. But it needs to be done right, since it radically alters the game's balance.
>>
>>1087919
>tools on farms
You produce more at harvest, but need the same number of people per day.
>>
>>1087555
>Access on service
I think (not sure) it's whether or not you can even use a service (within range, isn't in full use).
A lot of the mechanics are confusing, since nowhere does he explain what all the terms in the tooltips/etc mean, or the UI is misleading (I still don't know what exact effect a guardpost has, and the overlay is apparently inaccurate).
>>
>>1088647
>I have 1250 people in my current settlement, and it already takes up nearly a quarter of the map
dev built 10,000 private homes for testing and it took 30% of the map. If you are taking 25% for only 1,000 people you should consider rethinking your city planning.
He is planning on increasing the map size anyways though
>>
>>1089098
I prefer creative, spacious, and enjoyable city plans, not soviet hellscapes. I get that the genre pushes players towards Stalin's school of design.
I guess I'll just be capped at 10k pop or so with some tenement sections unless he does a map size upgrade as promised.
>>
>>1089098

Building commie blocks for testing isn't the same as actually building houses in a proper city, much less an organic one that didn't autistically plan the complete layout from the begining of the game, the devpost said it took around a quarter of the map so in an actual players city it will probably be close to 40% - 50% just for sleeping quarters and that feels kind of dumb

>>1088647

Apartments suck for that exact reason, making organic apartments that aren't just boxes with the corners cut for minmaxing is complete shit due to the sheer size and the fact they are all boxes but at least you can reach a 10k city without apartments or with just a few of them
>>
Do canteens effectively phase out eateries? Seems like whenever I start plonking down canteens my citizens' satisfaction with eateries plummets.
>>
>>1045686
Cool city anon
>>
>>1090787
Yes. Just like apartments cancel out dorms. Once you have the nicer option, they'll abandon the lesser entirely, except if they have 0 access to the nicer option (work is too far away, but that's what slaves are for).
As soon as you build the nicer option, you can start dismantling the older options and convert them into something else.
>>
>>1087278
That's some sexy palace, looks like a temple of sorts
what rooms are there to place on some palace stuff like this?
I thought about doing it later on but the lack of rooms sort of make it purely empty
one obvious combo is making a big ass library for something like a monastery or something, but now even that isn't quite necessary as as libraries and scribes don't need to be as big
>>
>>1092328
Thanks.
I put a chamber in for the king that doesn't exist. Nobody uses it, pure RP.
Administration buildings, courts, a gem warehouse, there's not much else currently.
You could create a vast library complex too, but it'd be too much space for a palace to accommodate. I think it's better to get your libraries and universities together into one megaplex.
>>
How come, even though I have tons of rations and drinks in my army depots, it still says I need more when I hover over the "send out" button? No matter how many I store, it says that I'm missing 125 drinks. Is this a bug?
>>
how much do citizens eat per day? just unit of food?

how many days in a year?
>>
also in my current settlement, theres an ore patch far away from it i want to mine. how should i handle long distance resources?
>>
>>1093646
16 days in a year.
If you go into the race fulfillment page (right click on the race portrait on the right by your resources) and click on the food section, you can set how many food items your subjects are allowed per meal. I actually don't know how often they're supposed to eat, though. I think there's a stat for hunger rate somewhere.
>>
>>1093647
Build a mining town reflective of the population that will be working there. Start off with dorms, eateries and wells and then upgrade as your mining development grows.
>>
>>1093647
Find a local food source for them, get the basic services, use transports to haul the ore back to the city, and to haul in stuff like tools and clothing.
>>
>>1093647
Early game: Small warehouses set to Fetch an appropriate amount of the needed resources (small because you don't want them hoarding ALL your food/clothes etc)
Mid-game: Larger warehouses (still smaller than at home ofc) with haulers set up to pull resources down to them
Late game: Build import depots on site so some of your tax income arrives there instead.
>>
>>1093646
I think it's your ration allotment per day x16.
16 days (I was wrong above about 20) in a year.
Just start making food and watch your days of rations at the top of the resources sidebar. Keep that at 10-20 and you're fine. Click on any resource on that bar to see a graph of how it's changed over time.
A lot of the game is just managing those graphs, keeping things steadily within bounds. Generally build for 2x-4x of what you need currently when building new capacity, and then you can just add workers over time, and you have spare capacity in an emergency. This will require using more labor for carpenters and weavers, but it's worth it for the fewer headaches.
Planning factory complexes usually requires looking at what they produce (requires one already running due to modifiers) and consume and setting up your supply chain appropriately.

>>1093647
These guys gave good answers >>1093970>>1093977
Just consider any distant area to be its own colony with lowered happiness expectations. Send out ore, send in bread/meat, let them handle the rest locally.
Personally, I just import/tax ores and basic ingredients. It's a waste to mine. Best case, it saves me $150/day per worker on a mine (excluding all the overhead) versus importing it, for sithilon.
With jewelers (and another 0.4 workers for charcoal/wood), I can make $520/day per worker.
That's mid/late game tech.
Early game, you can make decent money with meat/livestock/leather, as per the above discussion.
I don't know if it's ever a good idea to mine in the game. I'd rather just set up export industries.

Then there's administrators. I save $10,000/day per administrator (vs import) taxing stone, $7000 for coal. Not sure what your region could offer you, but if it has X resource in abundance, you want to spam administrators at it once available, even if you're just flipping it for export. Then take that money and import whatever ores you need. Way more labor efficient than building mines.
>>
File: 1624587787069.jpg (11 KB, 180x280)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1002094
>turns sound on
FART
.... FART

*fart* *poot*

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

>turns volume up
>>
File: unknown.png (421 KB, 846x1037)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>Resthomes are where retired people spend their time and becomes happy about it. Also a place for invalids from future accidents / battles.
>>
Bump
>>
Do citizens take food/drinks/clothes from army supply depots when they want to personally use them and there aren't others available?
>>
>>1098024
They can do whatever they want.
>>
>>1098026
little faggots
>>
>>1095549
>40 employees
God damn, grandpa's gotta be in real bad shape
>>
>Thanks for all the feedback. I suppose you all have been right, so I implemented the following:
>Apartment - 3x3 - 2 residents ~4.5 tiles/person
>Homestead - 4x4 - 4 residents ~4 tiles/person
>Dormitory - 5x5 - 8 residents ~ 3.1 tiles/person
>Longhouse - 5x7 - 16 residents ~2.1 tiles/person
>So, space won't be a problem (if it is, I can increase max residents). And you'll have "families" living inside. I suppose in the future that those who procreate naturally could do so in the privacy of their homes. Nursery still makes sense for Garthimi I'd say though.
I'm still not 100% on board with being forced to spam 3x3/etc clone structures all over my colony.
>>
>>1101692
Apartment has more space than a homestead? That's kinda goofy.
>>
>>1101778
Probably if you consider that a homestead would have a typical family living in it, while an apartment is more like workslave quarters.
I dunno, hopefully someone can mod some sense into this, but the game isn't very moddable; he's opened up very little of the codebase to the community. It's not Rimworld for sure, not even DF. Modders have almost no purchase.
>>
>>1001558
get back to me when it's not an early access city builder
>>
I have a solution to housing spam:
z levels
>>
>>1102167
no
>>
>>1102466
Why not? I don't understand why z levels are such a contentious topic.
>>
>>1102690
>Z levels bad y
It fundamentally alters the user experience.
It adds a lot of extra clicking about to do anything.
It takes a very straightforward "everything on the table" 2D view and now obscures much if not most of the actual content. Decision making and planning now get considerably more involved, not all players have the intellectual skills to not struggle with it more.
It generally inserts a lot of bugs and lowered performance, since pathfinding around Z levels can take a good bit more computing, or alternatively it's above the coding skill level of small devs.

Personally, I would like limited Z levels, but there are good reasons to dislike them.
>>
Just started playing today, don't really play colony sims but this is pretty fun.
But do your dudes not gather stuff if it's too far away or something? I ran out of wood but they wouldn't walk down to the forest I marked for collection. I might restart the tutorial a few times to get the hang of it without wasting my resources constantly.
>>
>>1103881

you need to set the forest to be cut and have some oddjobbers around, if all of your citizens are assigned to a job then nobody will go do jobs like building or clearing things, you can also build a woodcutter to have an assigned amount of citizens constantly supplying you with wood
>>
>>1103972
Oh that makes sense, everybody else was already assigned to do stuff, thanks
>>
>>1103984
I always keep about 10% of my workforce unemployed. If you have a lot of construction going on, 20% might be better.
Early game, you don't need to mess with logistics too much, but as the colony grows planning out your logistics becomes ever more important.
I'd also recommend keeping your services all within 90% fulfillment from the get-go, since it's miserable to try and hack them in to an already mature colony once happiness starts to be an issue.
You can go a long time without canteens, for instance, but trying to backfill them when you're at 5000 pop, or having to spam hearths, or slapping a massive arena in the middle of your city will suck hard.
I'd hit research fairly hard early so you have access to full tech within 500-1000 pop. 5% pop scholars should suffice.
>>
>>1020104
have you tried making a house without a hammer? or a table or a chair?
Tools are vital to any job in order to maximize efficiency, same as in real life. Except in real life you can't even build a house without tools.
>>
>>1104282
Tools need to be a top priority ASAP. You get a 2-3x multiplier for all output. Running a colony without tools is exceptionally harder than with.
Just note they get consumed hard, so you basically need a small smithy industry permanently crafting replacements.
Also upgrading warehousing to reduce storage losses is high priority.
>>
File: home_map.jpg (49 KB, 594x318)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Just picked up this game, and I'm liking it a lot. Does it have ships for traders? I was thinking of having a Constantinople-style city on the coast, but I don't know if that's just pointless to do and if it would be better to be on a river or something.
>>
File: download.jpg (155 KB, 1920x1080)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Picture of the kind of map I would be on.
>>
>>1104489
No ships yet. Rivers are somewhat useless aside from the fertility bonus they provide to farms. You get an irrigation bonus for farms that are surrounded by rivers, but you can also build farms on rivers that typically have 100% fertility.
>>
>>1104489
>>1104498
No, there are ships. You can't make them yourself, but the caravans that travel on the overworld map do use ships.
>>
>>1104146
It's actually pretty easy to fit new services into a city, if you have a lot of industrial buildings going without tools or research, as soon as you add that you will only need a fraction of industry jobs, so you get a lot of empty buildings.
Also simply expanding your city outwards faster than your population is growing means you can replace some buildings in the center with new services.
>>
>>1104500
That's just a visual thing, there are no ships.
>>
>>1104597
>That's just a visual thing
mechanically, the traders travel over the water via ships. It is not just a visual thing.
>>
File: 20220623181842_1.jpg (1.31 MB, 2560x1600)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Circles are hard to fit things into, so much wasted space
>>
>>1104689
No, traders simply travel. If their route goes over land, it gets shown as a caravan, if it's over water the sprite is changed to a boat. There are no actual boats in this game. Nothing relies on the trader being a boat, the villages don't have to build boats, they don't have to move boats anywhere. They could show them crossing water in a space rocket, it would be the same thing.
>>
>>1105707
Does that temple max out the grandness or whatever it was called?
>>
>>1107651

sadly no, its around 90%, i would have added another room to it but fitting the altars into those shapes while making it look decent and have some sense was super annoying
>>
>>1108016
I underestimated how large the temples need to be. I just made my first one like last week and it ended up being retardedly huge. Multiple times bigger than any other building in my settlement.
>>
Songs of Syx, on
Dondorians, picked
Mountain, embarked in
Humankind OST (only good part of that game), playing
Beverage, sipped
awww yeah, it's time to SYX
>>
why can't my dondoniggas farm cotton
>>
>>1109003
You're not in the right climate
>>
>>1109003
Because they're not niggers
>>
>>1108813

>fertility inside mountains is shit
>can't farm shrooms reliably inside them
>you have to farm outside like a pleb
>you can't have a proper underground city due to this

dondorians are shit
>>
File: Cave Mushrooms.jpg (473 KB, 1360x768)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>1109334
>can't farm shrooms reliably inside them
You're a retard. Mushrooms have 100% fertility inside caves.

Using Dondorians to farm mushrooms is even more retarded. That's what your Cretonian and human slaves are for.
>>
>>1110075
Dev needs to fix the "extra resources" bullshit for mushroom farms. They should function exactly like other farms.
>>
File: 5jAwK0r.png (1.05 MB, 1680x1050)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
newfag here
how do I solve this conundrum
I need to mine ore and clay from these deposits and bring it to my central place thing
do I just plop down mines there and my dudes will walk all the way and then walk all the way back?
Do I need to build a smaller settlement there for them? like say a dormitory, eatery, small warehouse that fetches food from the central granary, etc?
>>
>>1110490
Second option will be preferable.
>>
interesting
this is an honestly unexplored area of DF
it's based on the single dlevel cities of old versions with added RTS elements
>>
a few more gmes and dwarffortress-like may become a genre of it's own
>>
>>1110490
Build a little mining town for them for sure and upgrade it over time. When you undoubtedly expand your settlement, the mining town will be consumed and worked into the rest of the town.
>>
>>1110515
I've dumped DF now that they're going to add tranny bullshit.
>>
Tried the demo yesterday and I'm already at 14 hours.Pretty sweet, but trying to get ore at 3% output with 100% efficiency while getting mugged by random faction for 30k is kinda hard. My people get these crazy ass heat exposure deaths too.Made those small pools to help.Been plateau-ing at 260 pop since people keep dying in droves from the heat or coal shop outta wood.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.