[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: boink.jpg (30 KB, 800x380)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Some people say that it's shit, some that it's great. Who is right?
>>
Played it a few months ago and fucking loved it. Couldn't do another playthrough with the Veteran class though, was pretty burnt out.
>>
Sure it had its fair share of being overhyped, but it's still a decent game. I found it personally fun to play.
>>
>>971342
>professional espionage agent
>gun skills start out at zero

That rule was stupid in Deus Ex, too.

Martial arts, damage resistance, tech still etc etc should level up with your character build, but firearm proficiency should should be based on player skill, not RNG

Mike is a soldier and every soldier is taught to fire a rifle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U
>>
>>971342
Awful, awful combat, but one of the most fun rpg plots I've ever seen.
It's a shame they never got to do the sequel, I can't think of another videogame that let you screw with the story to the degree that AP let you.
>>
>>971414
>should be based on player skill
This is a board for RPGs.
>>
>>971433
Then neither Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect are RPGs then
>>
>>971451
Precisely.
>>
>>971342
Neither, it's just good, strong 6, too unpolished to really be great, but solid ideas that more games should emulate
>>
>>971414
Every class starts with pre-allocated skill points except for Recruit and Freelancer and you still have the option to allocate points before you leave the character creation screen. Soldiers start with points in rifles and SMGs.
>>
>>971342
It's high quality Eurojank. Very janky and very fun
(It's not actually European but you know, it has that feel to it).

Gameplay wise the game is heavily flawed and maybe even a bit of a slog if you don't enjoy trivialising the difficulty with pistols/punching everything to oblivion, but the game reacting to your choices and the ways in which you can alter your dynamics with other characters makes it very worth it.
You can, for example, make someone despise you so much he'll save you in a moment of need, only so that he may be able to kill you himself at a later point.
>>
>>973056
>(It's not actually European but you know, it has that feel to it).
Wut?
>>
>>971342
Good writing, but skill-based shooter combat doesn't work better here than it does anywhere else. Still think it's a great game.
>>
>>973062
You see, Eurojank describes a particular kind of game. One that's usually way too ambitious for the studio that is tackling it, so you get a lot of interesting and novel ideas executed hazapardly, making for a clunky or awkward game that is still interesting. Hitman Codename 47 is a good example of that kind of thing.
>>
>>973075
But European games are superior to american.
>>
>>971342
It's great shit.
>>
>>971451
>neither Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect are RPGs
Correct, you can also add dork soles and whatever other shitty action game with stats in there.
>>
File: AP Cone to go.png (230 KB, 543x347)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>
>>971342
The best part is that it keeps the promise your actions mattering. The sheer amount of dickery it lets you do is just great. The gameplay falters because of boss fights where you pretty much need combat skills. Luckily you can make do with the pistol.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s
>>
>>971342
It's shit in gameplay and great in terms of impact of your actions.
>>
>>971342
it's absolute garbage, one of the worst games i ever played. but it unironically has soul.
>>
>>973170
But then RPG genre is one of the shittiest.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqfrH449Jc

Michael
MIKE
Mike?
Mr Thornton
Thornton
THORNTON!
Michael Darling
Thornton
Special. Agent. Michael. Thornton.
>>
File: I DO COCAINE.jpg (20 KB, 626x305)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I'M WORKING HARD
YOU'RE WORKING TOO
WE DO IT EVERYDAY
FOR EVERY MINUTE
I HAVE TO WORK
I NEED A MINUTE TO PLAY

DAY IN AND DAY OUT
ALL WEEK LONG
THINGS GO BETTER WITH ROCK
THE ONLY TIME I TURN IT DOWN
IS WHEN I SLEEP IT OFF

TUUUUUUURN UP
THE RADIO
I NEED THE MUSIC
GIVE ME SOME MORE
>>
>>973227
>He described you as... What was it? Tense. Easily angered.
>>
better than most mass effect
>>
>>973398
And because of this faggot, I can't buy the game anymore.
Asshole.
>>
>>971414
>player skill
I'm pretty good with computing devices so it's almost always easy for me to either edit saves, edit values in memory or even modify the game. Therefore I'm justified in hacking my characters in RPGs however I like and constantly complaining that games are too easy/boring/whatever.
>>
>>973351
Too bad
>>>/v/
>>
>>971342
the only redeeming quality is the writing and the freedom of choice during dialogues, and their consequences, everything else is barely holding together
>>
File: incel protocol.webm (2.63 MB, 640x360)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB WEBM
>>971342
it's great
plebs just can't appreciate Obsidiankino
>>
100% a flawed gem, but I think it accomplished everything it set out to do mostly competently. Absolutely should have become a series. There's actually very few secret agent and/or espionage games around.
>>
>>971342

The combat is awful. Regardless how much you level up, it's below average (if a game where you shoot most of the time makes you wish that you would rather play the first Mass Effect, that tells you everything how awful the combat is)

What good is the dialogue, the overall story and the rpg system including choices which get deeper than in any other full voiced rpg I ever played.

It's essentially a 3/10 shooter in a 9/10 rpg, so overall a 6/10.
>>
>>974050
To be honest only Mina had it coming.
>>
>>973505
https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=5595108
It's stealing, but since it's not avalible anymore, who would judge you? I wouldn't
>>
>>974461
>It's stealing
No, it is not.
>>
>>971342
they are both wrong
it is a mix of shit and great
>>
>>974518
Correct. To constitute theft, you would have to deprive another of something. There is no deprivation involved here, there is no other way to get it.
>>
>>974757
it's stealing, because you get something (i.e. right to consume some piece of the media) without paying for it.
I don't know, I steal games since I was 11 and I've never had any issues to call it what it is, which is stealing.
>>
>>974824
Still wrong in this case because the item in question is not for sale.
>>
>>974836
not the item,but the right to enjoy the item
sad, but true
>>
>>971342
I just always invariably go for a pistols + stealth + martial arts build, so I never actually end up using the combat system too much, so it's a phenomenal game far as my experience goes.
>>
>>973086
And janky as fuck. Hence the name.
>>
File: TIMECUBE.jpg (154 KB, 1366x768)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
heck best boy
>>
>>976303
It's like i'm back in sunless sea again
>>
>>976303
I swear I've seen schizo posts in 4chan that were unironically like that.
>>
>>973196
The Adirondacks are beautiful this time of the year.
>>
>>976327
it's quite literally ripped straight from Time Cube which if you haven't laid eyes on yet you really should
>>
>>971342
It's branching paths are pretty cool

Actually playing it sucks however. Particularly the combat
>>
>>976356
Didn't Time Cube get taken down?
>>
>>973398
Shame they couldn't use "The Final Countdown" like they wanted to.
>>
>>971342
Shit gameplay with good everything else.
Ultimately a 5/10.
>>
>>974824
>get something (i.e. right to consume some piece of the media) without paying for it.
That's not the actual definition of steal fyi
>>
>>971414
based
>>
>>971342
Everything is passable to great except the absolute trash tier hacking system.
>>
>>976948
mom says that it is
>>
>>976283
>And janky as fuck.
But they don't.
>>
CQC>shotgun>pistol>getting some scathing insults in whilst getting beaten > SMGs
>>
>>974031
And those are the most important.
>>
>>971342
A bit of both honestly.
It's interesting enough to play but shows it's budget limitations fairly quickly.
That reminds me, been meaning to do a murder fucking everyone run.
>>
>>971342
Combat is abysmal, dialogue is kino. Pretty par for the course Obsidian game.
>>
>>976303
>time cube shitposting in a video game
goddamn I forgot about that shit
>>
>>974824
>right to consume
>right to enjoy
So it's completely ephemeral, isn't it. No loss of product occurs, no physical harm done to anyone. It's completely imaginary.
>>
>>977919
actually yup, no big deal, that's why I do this (and because it's very unlikely that I'll get caught and punished for that)
>>
>>977975
>no big deal
No, it is a big deal because content creators need to pay the bills. It's just that the stealing argument holds water as well as a sieve. Hopefully within this decade donation-supported game development becomes the norm.
>>
>>971342
The people who say that it is great. I am saying this as someone who likes Tyranny and hates PoE. So you decide if my taste in games is similar to yours.
>>977809
If you play more on the stealth side then the combat is pretty solid.
>>
>>978026
I can't say I hate PoE, but I like Tyranny much more. Thanks for the stealth tips anons, I think that may be the way to control the combat does to the game apparently
>>
>>978069
...the damage that combat does to gane
>>
>pick this game up one day
>"A spy themed RPG, cool. I'll try to play it as a stealthy character that focuses on avoidance and gadgets, allocating points accordingly. I don't want to fight people"
>the game very often forces you into combat sequences
Fuck you too. The Sis fight was just the worst since it was my first post-AP mission and I didn't have a single point invested into weaponry (and I was playing Recruit, which didn't help either)
>>
>some people say that it's shit

Well, some people are insufferable faggots who think in binaries and make everything be either worst thing or best thing ever. Alpha Protocol has flaws and it's kinda clunky, but the overall experience makes it a pretty cool action-rgp. It has that feel of late 90s and early 00 techno spy thrillers.
>>
Jesus Christ, Mina is an easy girl. I've barely finished the tutorial and I already have 6 approval points with her and she treats me like I'm her bestie.
>>
>>978026
>If you play more on the stealth side then the combat is pretty solid.
Speaking of stealth it's quite disappointing how the perks you get from that tree are "Awareness is always on" and "Turn invisible". It's really bland and uninspired.

>>977750
I don't remember much about the shotgun gameplay, what's so great about it?
I remember ARs being annoying to use because of the random spread so you can't quite play sharpshooter.
>>
>>978153
That's easy, since her main problem is that one of her coworkers is Darcy, who acts like he thinks he's in a spy movie and Mina is going to fall over for him dropping oneliners and shooting well. Just act professional at first with her and she goes "Oh thank god, he's not retarded".
>>
>>978154
>I don't remember much about the shotgun gameplay, what's so great about it?
I didn't play the game, but it sounds like crappy aiming workaround
>>
>>978167
I acted exactly like Darcy and even sent Mina harassing emails, to which she responded by trying to bribe me into never flirting with her again.
She still fell in love with me, because Mike is a chad.
>>
File: polposter.jpg (471 KB, 702x920)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>976327
>>
>>974824
I love stealing those chocolates they leave on your hotel pillow, and stealing water from the fountains you see dotted around public parks. God I fucking love stealing parking spots and stealing county air.
>>
>>971342
Gameplay is terrible.
Everything else is neat.
>>
>>979253
all you've mentioned are free stuff, while games ain't
lame argument on your side sir
>>
>>979372
>because you get something ... without paying for it

Literally your definition, retard
>>
>>979651
great troll, seriously, got me off guard
>>
>>971414
akshually you start out with one skill point in pistols in deus ex
>>
>>973398
You'll never fight a coked up russian ameriboo.

Fuck.
>>
Fuck it, I'm reinstalling it.
What order of missions do I follow this time anons? I usually go Moscow > Rome > Taipei.
>>
>>980439
Moscow is nice in winter probably
>>
>>978577
>>to which she responded by trying to bribe me into never flirting with her again
M1LFLuv3r
>>
>>971342
it's not particularily good, but you can have some fun with it for sure
>>
>Who is right?
Me. It's great.
>>
>>980439
That's usually the order I go in too, though it is fun to do Rome before Moscow, especially if you piss off Marburg.
>>
>>980593
Anything special happen if you do that?
>>
>>980597
Nothing much, just SIE gushing over how you got his goat when you meet her.
>>
If i torrent this is there anything special I gotta do to get it to run properly on Win 10?
>>
>>982377
No.
>>
File: honeytrap.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>978153
I get her to positive reputation at the end of the starting segment, in order to get the Social Butterfly perk, since it's so easy. Then, immediately starting with the first hub section, I treat her like an absolute dog in order to tank reputation as much as possible.
I don't even dislike her but it's necessary in order to get the best ending with the best girl, pic related.
>>
>>984168
>He's aware that she kills Sung for Leland, but doesn't care because redhead pussy
I despise you.
>>
>>984168
Nah, Scarlett is a backstabbing bitch. Mina is one character in this entire game that is unfailingly loyal to you. If you got Mina killed just to get that redhead pussy, you are the asshole here.
>>
>>985798
You can save Sung and Scarlet technically helps you prevent her from killing him in that case. She did it willingly too, since from the video call she obviously knew you're not in Taipei to somehow make Sung's death more likely. Face it dickhead, she had second thoughts about the job but couldn't drop it because she's a professional.
>>985806
Scarlet is just as loyal provided you rescue her from the interrogation room. She's even helping you take down Halbech throughout the game if you're sending her the intel you picked up. Mina is the one who literally betrayed you by cutting off Westridge's last message, letting her be the one to entirely dictate what your choices are from now on. We have no idea what he would've said, since even Parker disagreed with Halbech's call to take you out, provided he likes you. Even then you don't have to kill Mina. You can rescue her, then tell her to fuck off and escape on her own.
>>
File: 16007494239845895.jpg (197 KB, 960x960)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>971414
>Mike is a soldier and every soldier is taught to fire a rifle
lolno most armeemen can't shoot for shit bud
https://youtu.be/SSaZUEEgRxU
>>
Why is Sis so hot?
>>
>>985806
The bitch who put a target on you so you could kill her enemies is the loyal one?
Please, I will take my chances with the redhead assassin.
>>
>>976696

It's on the Wayback Archive
>>
File: pepe.jpg (8 KB, 203x203)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>974824
>right to consume some piece of the media
>>
File: BRAYKO.gif (1.92 MB, 384x216)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB GIF
>>971342
Brayko boss fight is aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>988272
basedak, now in 3d
>>
>>988415
I've written this word first time in my life apparently
wasn't so hard
>>
Man, now that I'm replaying it, I sure as fuck didn't remember the stealth in this game being this bad.
>Dude manages to spot me out
>Through the opaque bridge he's standing on and that I'm directly under
>Proceeds to shoot me through it and phase a grenade through
>All this despite the fact I prioritized leveling up stealth and am wearing the stealth armor with the camouflage accesory
>>
>>984168
If you git gud, you can compliment both Mina and Scarlet during the Taipei operation and still max out both of their reputations.
>>
>>974255
What a strange spelling of Scarlet.
I'd still bone her.
>>
>>974824
>you wouldn't steal a car
You're right. I wouldn't.
But I would copyright infringe a car though, and 3D print myself a perfect replica.
>>
>>988808
Secret of enjoying AP is to immediately ditch stealth in all but one or two missions (where just the silent footsteps perk is fine), wear full warrior armor, and fight. I know it's everyone's instinct to go for ghost type shit but it's not even slightly worth it.
>>
>>988317
How many gay cheetahs did they have to kill to make that jacket?
>>
>>988820
That's not even the issue. If you have max reputation with both, the ending defaults to Mina over Scarlet every time, even if you met Scarlet in her hotel, saved her from the interrogation room and asked her to escape with you. The only way to get the Scarlet ending is if Mina dies or you have very negative reputation with her. You can tell you meet the threshold if when you rescue Mina, she immediately launches into a spiel about how much of an asshole you are.
>>
>>989416
If you spare Scarlet and ask her to stay and help you does it not default to her ending? I haven't played in a year or so but I thought the Scarlet rescue comes after Mina.
>>
>>971342
The end of the game is so buggy, it's a miracle you can even reach the credits. But you can, so it kind of makes it funny. But it's still bad, objectively. Also I remember one of the boss battles being very tedious. Other than that there's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>989430
I just finished it for a second time recently. You find Scarlet in the interrogation room first. When you find Mina it's right as Scarlet (if you asked her to join you) is telling you she's pinned down. It sounds like originally it was a save one or the other moment but Scarlet is actually invincible so you can take your time saving Mina. Afterward, even though Scarlet continues helping you, your ending is entirely dependent on whether Mina hates you or not. And she does have to hate you, since if Mina's rep is only slightly negative, it still defaults to her ending. There was definitely some time crunch at work here because it's very unintuitive when otherwise the game handles choices very well.
>>
Why is G22 the most A S T H E T I C faction?
>>
What's a reliable and virus-free way to get this game on PC?
>>
>>990198
1. Download some good enough torrent client (qbittorent is ok), install it.
2. Click the link: https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=5595108, download the iso file.
3. Download WinCDEmu, install it.
4. Mount iso with WinDCEmu, install, copy content from the "crack" folder into proper folder.
5.???
6. Profit.

It's 10 y/o torrent so I can't guarantee that it'll work fine with w10, but there is only 1 way to check this out.
>>
>>971342
Like most games, it's a mix of both.
I say it's pretty good overall.
>>
>>974824
>it's stealing
It's not. It's a copyright infringement.
Say I've stolen the disk from the store. I'm a thief, but I yet to infringe on a copyright. Only when I put the disk in a drive to read the data one can say that I've infringed the copyright.
We have different words to describe different things for a reason.
One can hold the position that copyright infringement is as bad as theft. That's fine. You can even think that copyright infringement is worse than genocide and the punishment should be the death penalty. Unreasonably harsh position, but still a sane one.
But to think that copyright infringement *is* theft is just not true. No constructive argument can be built on a demonstrably false premise.
This way lies insanity.
>>
>>990506
there goes my badass style then
>>
>>990217
I downloaded it like 3 days ago. It works fine, just have to fuck around in files because it's in Russian to start. That's pretty easy though.
>>
>>971451
But both of those had gun skills based on stats. Only Mass Effect 2 onwards can't be classified as RPGs. Mass Effect basically had a hit stat that lowered the area of effect of your weapons and the percentage the bullet would hit the centre of that area. For me that's the perfect way to do gun combat in an RPG.
>>
>>980597
If you give nothing but sarcastic replies to everything then Marburg will hate you so much you have a chance to kill him early. But only if you actually stay sarcastic.
>>
>>989057
>sequel is Thornton going on the run because he got cancelled
It was a different time.
>>
>>971451
I take it you're the retard making an LA Noire thread on an rpg board.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.