[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FF7R soul.jpg (274 KB, 1186x825)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
Soul vs Soul
>>
Was there ever a game where the remake actually had more soul than the original game?
>>
>>968583
I won't say 7 Remake has more than the original but it has almost as much, which is genuinely impressive.
Shame about the filler sidequests, those were soulless.
>>
File: TifaAerith6.jpg (972 KB, 1658x1620)
972 KB
972 KB JPG
>>968581
Shouldn't it be Soul + Soul?
>>
>>968581
>Souless vs Souless
Agreed
>>
File: 13687635163.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>968603
I'm still mad they didn't let us explore more of the top plate, Shenmue style. This was their once in a life-time chance and they squandered it.
>>
File: cinderalla.jpg (128 KB, 434x434)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
The modding scene's gonna have a field day when FF7R finally comes to PC.
>>
>>968610
nice art anon, thanks for sharing
>>
Aerith lives
>>
>>968581
There is no soul in FF7R. It reeks of corporate fan pandering. They use Sephiroth even more excessively than Lucas and Disney used Darth Vader.
>>
>>968583
The Spyro trilogy Remake got close
>>
>>968581
I never get tired of seeing that Aerith face
>>
>>968583
FFIV DS remake
>>
>>968583
Thats quite hard to achieve, but if i had to choose, i would say that REmake is one (for not going for the re4 approach and stick very close to the original).
Spyro, Crash and others feel like they felt forced to do that kind of remake rather than actually do it.
>>
7 Remake is superior just because it doesn't have random battles.
>>
>>972101
>play FFIV remake
>Never liked FFIV when i played it
>remake fixes a lot of stuff and its quite cute to look at
>"oh time to go back to turn based, cant wait"
>have fun most of the time
>except when i have to explore dungeons which is the most annoying shit ive ever experienced in a long time.
I dont know if its turn based in general, but holy shit "exploring" a dungeon in FFIV NDS is insufferable. High encounter rate, boring fodder fights, and the transitions between battle and go back to walk is slow as fuck.
the game would be a 10/10 if it wasnt by this shit which drops it a 8/10. Yes, it drops it that much because it literally annoys the core of the game: explore dungeons. It makes dungeons a pain in the ass.
>>
>>972025
Literally the worst version of the game. Now the PSP version...THAT has soul.
>>
>>969714

If I put aside my complaints about unfaithful visuals (WHY did Misty Bog have no MIST?) and the censorship (which really brings down the feeling of Twilight Harbor) the first one was mostly nice. The second one seemed rushed and I haven't played the remake of the third.
>>
>>968583
firered/leafgreen is close to pokemon red/green
>>
>>968619
I mean it would have killed the narrative in more ways than a lot of shitters cry about with the time jannies and shit.
I legit can't understand why people want to visit the upper plate so much when there is absolutely zero lore tied to it.
>>
>>972327

Not everything's about lore. Some people just want to see something other than the slums just as a contrast.
>>
>>972333
Witnessed.
I'm okay with that reasoning yet at the same time nothing about FF7 in general showcases a love for the "upper plates" at all. I mean the time jannies being a part of the lifestream as a "defense mechanism" fits more in the lore than exploring the upper plate.
My only point is that it does not fit anywhere in the narrative of the game to explore any upper plate sectors. It worked for chapter 4 because Jessie asked you to come to the second plate to procure more explosives for the second bombing run. Between the second bombing run and leaving Midgar there is literally no reason to go to the upper plates in terms of pacing and story telling.
Find me a reason and I'll hear you out.
>>
>>972327
>I legit can't understand why people want to visit the upper plate so much when there is absolutely zero lore tied to it.
Because people expected some full exploration midgar. I dont blame them, but still. Who the fuck would have actually liked that? when do you explore it? when? why? thats a little hard to do considering the events of midgar.
Ok so make chapter 2 longer? it will be called filler. Make chapter 3 so tifa and cloud visit the upper plate? filler. Make barret, tifa and cloud actually arrive sector 5, therefore explore sector 5 upper plate? "it destroys the urgency, the original was better because cooler drop from the train". and so on and so on.
The midgar section isnt structured as an open world, therefore it wouldnt have worked.

I can see them doing that in part 3 or so when we have to go back, that would be cool, but right now it is impossible.

That being said, i think that we will see some of sector 5 if they add tifa DLC and see how they arriva sector 7 after escaping from mako reactor 5.
>>
>>972340

>My only point is that it does not fit anywhere in the narrative of the game to explore

Becoming too tied down on narrative is why FF XIII didn't have any traditional towns. It's a game, in the original FF VII there was no narrative reason to snowboard at the Gold Saucer or go exploring with the Highwind, but you could do it anyway. If they can write fucking time patrol ghosts into the game, they could've come up with a reason, to at least make a quick jaunt up there.
>>
>>972341
I don't blame them either but it was fun for a couple of months to see how many people were butthurt over the idea that "GTA: Midgar" didn't exist while simultaneously complaining about filler.
>>972345
To be fair snowboarding at the Gold Saucer was an arcade machine and exploring with the Highwind was to illustrate that you were approaching the end of the game and could, theoretically, go wherever you wanted in an airship.
Given the fact the gang were known terrorists from the first bombing run and their faces were very recognizable (up until the plates crashed on sector 7 to which everyone believed them to be dead) it would be very hard, from any standpoint, to suggest why the gang would even want to go up to the upper plates as there is no reason to or importance within the context of the game.
>>
>>972359

You're ignoring the "This is a video game, they can find a reason if they really want to" bit. Maybe I just come from a different time, I remember when games did whatever before people starting following the story to a fault.
>>
>>972327
We already went to top plate for Jessie's mission. God forbid we might spent quality time in any other part of the world capital that isn't the slums.
>>
>>972378
>This is a video game they can find a reason if they really want to
I mean sure, but even in the basic Nintendo era that didn't fly. Sure you have your Easter eggs such as the "cow level" in Diablo but do you really think, narrative wise, Castlevania for the NES would have been as popular if you encounter Marshmallow peep enemies and it was all sunshine and rainbows taking out Dracula?
A theme is a theme no matter what medium it's in buddy. There's absolutely no reason and no excuse to explore the upper plates. Absolutely none and NO ONE, for the last 8 months, has been able to provide one.
>>
>>972400
Again I'm not saying that the upper slums cannot be explored. I'm simply asking for anons to come up with a single, solid reason that would fit into the storyline of the game that would not fuck up the pacing or be called "filler" by all the people whining about a second sewers visit.
>>
>>972401

>Castlevania for the NES would have been as popular if you encounter Marshmallow peep enemies and it was all sunshine and rainbows taking out Dracula?

Is this a poor attempt to discredit me or just a poor argument? How is that in any way similar to Cloud and co. finding a reason to go to the top plate in a game that's a stealth sequel reboot? That's a really weak argument anyway, you'd have to attack FF itself if you wanted to use that.

>FF I
>Entire game is medieval
>Until a robot gives you a cube to warp you to a space station where you can fight a literal death machine
>>
>>972409

>I'm simply asking for anons to come up with a single, solid reason

Why do you care when the time jannies exist at all? That is some of the worst fucking writing I've seen in a video game in years.
>>
>>972409
>come up with a single, solid reason that would fit into the storyline of the game

The pacing was fucked from the beginning, which also counts for the original game by the way. As for reasons, if they can squeeze in "Jessie needs bombs", I'm sure they can squeeze in any reason to go and infiltrate/explore top plate, even if it's just to stake out an escape route.

>or be called "filler" by all the people whining about a second sewers visit.

People 7's community is fucking weird and doesn't know what it wants. 100% identical reboot = soulless cashgrab and uncreative nostalgiabait. Too much change = they ruined muh childhood.
>>
>>968583
Not a game but Carpenter's "The Thing" is a lot more soulful than the original from the 50s.
>>
>>969363
Yeah. I agree. I haven't played VIIR, but I will never forgive the butchering they gave the plot. Plus, I like the art style of the original game more and think it's more soulful. I've heard that the combat is good, though.
>>
>>972415
It's not a poor argument at all. You're stating that video games "can find a reason if they really want to" and I'm arguing why that is a bad idea. The reason Cloud and company never go to the upper plates is due to Cloud and company being slum trash in the eyes of Shinra/the upper class. Again you're not providing any substantial evidence as to WHY it'd be important to explore the top plates at all.
>>972422
>Time jannies exist at all
Again not an argument. Even if the time jannies are ridiculous they are painted as the "last line of defense" from the lifestream, WEAPONS all on their own which fits in with the narrative no matter how much you hate it.
>>972425
>Stake out an escape route
Now see this is the first sensible idea that I've seen in the last 8 months of this game being out. That being said it wouldn't appease the people in this thread who literally want "FF7R: The Witcher 3 Wild Upper Plates".
>>
>>968583
You could argue Resident Evil 1 vs REmake on GC.
>>
>>972297
I disagree, they didn't rebalance things at all in regards to it being gen 3 but a region built on gen 1 rules. Now HGSS actually rebuilt everything from the ground up and created an arguably better product than GSC.
>>
>>972506
I actually really like the 50s movie but yes The Thing is a much better film and a lot closer to the original short story too.
>>
>>968583
Shadow Dragon. Anyone who says FE1 is better didn't fucking play it.
>>
>>973223

>Again you're not providing any substantial evidence as to WHY it'd be important to explore the top plates at all.

Need something special to make bombs or something that's hard to get in the slums. Boom.

>inb4 "But that doesn't fit the narrative! Time ghosts are fine btw."
>>
File: pepe_look.jpg (59 KB, 1200x800)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I want to save Aerith. I don't think I can handle another repeat of the events.
>>
>>972506
There was a The Thing game that was a sequel to the film on PS2 . It genuinely holds up to the atmosphere of the film and makes for a great game too.
>>
File: 1605250490448.jpg (109 KB, 1022x1024)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>968581
FF7R is a very impressive and extremely fun game. Easily my game of the year.
>>
File: Emperor NT.jpg (452 KB, 1920x1080)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
>>972123
I think if you tried playing FFII you'd have a nuclear meltdown kek
>>
>>973810
I saw someone play it recently and holy shit yeah you are right i couldnt even finish it
>>
>>973233
Great strawman there btw. Also needing something special make bombs was already covered in chapter 4, sweaty.
>>
>>972345
>Becoming too tied down on narrative is why FF XIII didn't have any traditional towns
no its because square was lazy and 13 was a half assed game they even admitted that it would take to much time to make town in HD
>>
>>968581
FF7R is no where as good as the original but fuck its miles better then 13 and 15 those games were trash
>>
I refuse to discuss 7R if I know there's someone in the thread who doesn't like it. There's just no point.
>>
>>968581
Aeris has clown feet in that remake
>>
>>976399
yes Jim we know
>>
>>968581
Please tell me they will actually do a nice remake of the original and not kingdom hearts 3...
>>
>>974199

It was an example, which you asked for. You could replace it with literally anything else. They needed to meet up with a secret supplier. They were running away from the time ghosts. Jessie wanted to buy materia anal beads. Whatever.
>>
>>976544

It's already been revealed to literally not be a remake. That ship has sailed, false advertising won.
>>
>>968581
How does FFVIIR have soul? It's a blatant cash grab. One of the most soulless games I've played in recent years.
>>
>>976584
if it was faithful to the original and not a """remake""" would have been good, the presentation was really nice
>>
>>976633
>the presentation was really nice
The textures are so egregious that I have to wonder how the game ever went gold.
>>
>>976552
Again all fine examples of things that could have been expanded on chapter 4. Now go ahead and justify that to the people that cried about there being too much "filler" because that's all the upper plate content would be: filler.
Disclaimer: I had absolutely no issue with the filler content.
>>
>>968583
super mario all stars
>>
If they'd just had hints of Sephiroth throughout the remake, a bit of his theme here and a second of flashback there, and then had a fight with him at the end it would have been fine. Nods to his presence and actions without actually showing him would have fit the tone of the original, you'd get the fanboys all excited for an inevitable appearance, and an actual encounter seems reasonable enough to fit in. Instead they handled him in the worst way they possibly could, and it baffles me that they chose to do it like this.
>>
>>977430
>it baffles me that they chose to do it like this.
It was written by Nojima, Kitase and Toriyama.
Ask yourself when the last time they wrote a good story was, and you have your answer.
>>
>>977882
But this isn't even writing a story, it's writing less of one. You could do everything else exactly the same and just not have Sephiroth show up every hour. Like just replace all his scenes with Cloud going "urgh my head" and a few notes from Those Chosen By The Planet and bam, improvement.
>>
>>972571
nigger what the fuck are you talking about?
>I will never forgive the butchering they gave the plot
>I havent played VIIR
It fucking shows.
The story is literally exactly the same as the original game. Every major beat of the midgar section is hit, nothing is removed, only added.
The phantoms you lot bitch about endlessly are literally meant to be in game representations of retarded fans who lose their shit whenever something slightly different might happen.

What exactly about the plot did you find so radically different that you had to say it butchered the game? Sephiroth appearing? The almost comically vague Zack teaser?
>>
>>976637
>dude this game that literally nobody with eyes has ever criticized for looking bad actually looks like shit and im just really smart and thats why i noticed
bro its fine if you dont like the game but dont embarrass yourself like this for no reason
>>
>>977927
Anyone who thinks this game looks good throughout needs glasses. The majority of areas are marred by major texture issues.
>>
>>968603
lol, no. Majority of the game is a soulless cash grab.
>>
>>972327
>dumb fuck ghosts good!
>exploration bad!
>GIVE ME MORE SHIT STORY RETCONS AND HALLWAYS MOMMY!
>>
>>977941
>BUT LOOK THIS LITTLE PATCH OF GRASS IS OUT OF PLACE
>THAT MEANS THE GAME IS BAD GUYS
>S-STOP LAUGHING
>>
>>977971
>story retcons
>every single time something different happens the time jannies reverse it
>low iq monkey still cry
>>
>>977894
My point is the game was written by people who don't write good things. It's that simple. It would have been a miracle if these people had managed to tell a good story when their track record is so bad.
>>
>>977921
woah there anon, you sound really angry. remember, you're "laughing" because we're all dumb and you've "won" because FFVIIR is flawless and we're all wrong
>>
>>978009
but the time jannies didn't reverse visiting jessie's house or cloud dancing to be girlified or rosche showing up or barret finding an underground lab or hojo not trying to mate aerith with red xiii

there are a million additions or changes that the time jannies didn't reverse, why pretend otherwise?
>>
File: fQ3eJOG.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1080)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>978003
>ignoring the PS2 tier ground textures
Yup, you definitely need glasses. The only thing that looks consistently good in FFVIIR is the main characters and summons. The environments range from good to terrible.
>>
>>978139
The main characters and 10% of the locations look great, and everything else looks like shit. You can really see the outsourced parts.
>>
>>978139
I can forgive the environments looking kind of crap since I don't really care for graphics
Outsourcing the NPC models so everyone in the slums looks like a modern-day hipster that makes the main cast look like they're from an entirely different game is unforgivable though
>>
>>978158
>I can forgive the environments looking kind of crap since I don't really care for graphics
Part of the appeal of the remake is huge graphical overhauls, so I think it's pretty unacceptable. I'm not much of a graphics whore myself but I was astonished by how little consideration and care seemed to go into the texture work. It was distracting.
>>
>>978009
>every single time something different happens the time jannies reverse it
I now you like these Kingdom Hearts tier ghosts in the story, but you're lying. They changed a lot, and on top of that more changes without their help. Biggs survives, Wedge makes it until the end. Sephiroth completely reveals himself and defuses any build up to a final confrontation by fighting and losing. The whole party is basically fighting like demi-gods before they're even out of midgar. The slums aren't this dark and depressing thing, the originals atmosphere is completely gone. It's now just some sunny little village under a city. There are so many differences, mostly for the worse in this game. You Remake fags are desperate morons.
>>
>>978199
It's obvious they're just kingdom hearts fans who are used to the bar being SO low that remake really impressed them. Everyone else can see it for what it really is.
>>
>>978225
Nomurafags are notorious shit eaters
>>
>>977971
This is very low effort bait buddy and the strawmans are everywhere.
First off I stated the time jannies fit more into the lore of being "weapons" of the lifestream/defense mechanisms for the world to survive, just like the WEAPONS were. Secondly exploration in Midgar is fine, you just need a narrative reason for a group of people living in the slums, being wanted terrorists, to be able to explore the upper plates for any reason other than crying and whining that you don't get to have FF7R: The Witcher's Red Redemption. The story retcons fit in with the theme of Remaking the world and sorry you can't deal with hallways in an area of a game that was nothing but hallways in the original you ADHD riddled monkey.
>>
>>978199
>>978225
>>978245
>Samefagging this hard
In either case to address the only point made the story changes drastically in LITERALLY the last 2% of the game because it's very clear that this is not going to be a 1:1 remaster of the original game.
I mean I'm perfectly fine for you emotionally stunted children that hate the idea of experiencing new things from a franchise. I get it. It's been 8 months though so stop complaining like you're a bunch of liberals who think Russia interfered with the making of this game.
>>
>>978849
>I mean I'm perfectly fine for you emotionally stunted children that hate the idea of experiencing new things from a franchise
Because Advent Children and the compilation were so great, right?
>>
>>978849
I would've preferred a new game over them trying to do FF13 again but with FF7 this time
>>
>>978849
I am a fantasy writer for 10 years and I disagree with this post, because the greatest lesson I learned in storytelling is there are no rules. Ff7 remake blew my mind with the breaking of the 4th wall, and I was just relieved to know aerith will live. They've accomplished everything, no matter how they did it.
>>
>>979667
What notable works have you been involved in?
>>
File: 1605643432642.gif (1.9 MB, 320x200)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>968581
>FF7R
>Censors Tifa and Shiva
>Flops hard
>MFW
>>
File: d98.jpg (160 KB, 1024x576)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>968581
>Soul
>Gets beaten in popularity by FF14
>>
>>980552
They weren't censored
>>
>>980571
>Tifa: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/06/square-enix-ethics-department-had-devs-restrict-tifas-boobs-in-final-fantasy-vii-remake/86838/
>Shiva:
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-censors-shiva-outfit/99323/
>>
>>980586
Not censored
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/ff7-final-fantasy-7-remake-tifa-isnt-getting-a-smaller-chest-just-a-proper-bra
It's a redesign
>>
File: 1603086403668.gif (1.46 MB, 217x217)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB GIF
>>980594
>IGN
>>
>>980608
>oneautistgamer
>>
>>980675
This isn't /v/ though.
>>
>>978831
Why didn't the planet use its time travel powers to kill President Shinra before he had the idea to use Mako the first time around if it had access to them all along
>>
>>980694
To be fair even Aerith, in all her hippy ways, didn't seem to have a problem with what Shinra was doing. In fact I cannot think of any reason why the planet itself had any problem with Shinra nor why they sent the weapons to Junon and Midgar only after Sephiroth woke.
It's almost as if Shinra played absolutely zero part in shaping the world and was so insignificant they only became a threat when they wanted to drain all the lifestream to fire on Sephiroth.
>>
>>978864
Never got to play Dirge of Cerberus myself, one thing I wish I could do. As far as Advent Children goes it's a harmless movie that has some pretty damn good visuals for the time and actions scenes arguably better than what most movies shit out nowadays.
>>978876
>New Game
Such as? I'd also argue that FFXIII was way worse with its corridors. It was FFX tier. Midgar was always a hallway simulator.
>>
>>979667
>Greatest lesson in storytelling is there are no rules
What are Plotholes for 1000, Alex?
>>
>>980856
I can think of a reason, and it is pretty simple. Because shinra are humans. They arent something outside of the planet like Jenova. Now that you mention yeah, why didnt the planet wake up the weapons to kill midgar immediately?
Maybe the planet just doesnt want to mess up with human interactions, and has better plans for itself to deal with Jenova. Shinra is just nothing next to it.
>>
>>980856
But if the threat to the planet is Sephiroth then if you can travel in time then why wouldn't you be attacking that threat head-on instead of going through this convoluted plan to make these unlikely heroes just barely save the world at the very last second
>>
>>980876
I'd argue that it's because, just like our own planet, only human beings are egotistical enough to think that we're having an "impact" on the planet. Jenova is stated to be a disease so naturally a planet would want to purge Jenova due to its infection. Humans, on the other hand, are pretty much just like bacteria that can't do a god damn thing to harm the planet's system and only assholes think humans can impact something this large.
>>980998
That's because Sephiroth has not, and will never be, a threat to the planet. Jenova is and always will be. This is why I do not understand people who think Sephiroth is the main bad guy when he's been literally one with the lifestream since Cloud chucked his half-dead ass into the Lifestream. Everything else after that is Jenova and Jenova alone.
>>
>>980998
Look, you can have your opinion, but I suggest you go watch Deadpool and/or community before saying meta plot doesn't work. I'm sorry I couldn't get far, however, your initial remarks already didn't sit well with me. I wish you a good day.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.