[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1500453519542.png (339 KB, 596x431)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
I honestly want to know.
The series, the franchise almost EVERYTHING about Pokemon is shitty and there is honestly no nostalgia anymore. I remember being ripped off more so than I had fun with this series.

>played red/blue, but wanted more of an adventure like in both manga
>played snap and it was shit
>played stadium it was ok, more so a post game for r/b with no exploration
nice battles though
>refused to play yellow because it was basically a mod
>finally play gold and I was amazed at the mechanics
>not getting crystal because I am not buying the same twice with dlc
>refuse to get Stadium 2 because it's going to be the same shit as stadium
> between the two year gap between G/S/C and R/S discover rpgamer.com and find out about other rpgs like Bof,FF,Arc the Lad, Dragon Quest, etc.
>they are having adventures like in the anime and manga
>Better monster game in Arc the lad, but no one played it here because it got to the USA too late
It also had a far superior battle tower, 4 years before it appeared in crystal
>I wish pokemon was like this
>I see R/S on display in toys'r'us and it looks like shit in comparison in comparison to other rpgs on the gba
>say fuck it and buy ffta instead
>a bunch of bullshit shill games like puzzle league, channel, trozei and dash released
when other series have good side games and it isn't a minefield

>reused 64 models and shitty graphics in both gamecube titles
>A few years later I try mystery dungeon and it's alright

> want to give the series a chance again with D/P
>get battel revolution included as a gift as well
>Static sprites after mystery dungeon
>bullshit natures?
> invisible iv/ev grinding just to get a decent online battle?

>say fuck it and turn my back on the series entirely

Honestly Mystery dungeon should have been the no turning back point and proof that gamefreak was a pile of shit .
How can a developer with less money make a superior game?

Honestly why do you all stick around?
Why keep getting disappointed?
>>
>>964792
There isn't the series peaked in Gen 2, but all the way to Gen 5 it was decent, gen 6 forward it's been rough, really fucking rough.
>>
>>964805
Gen 3 was the tipping point, it looked like abject shit. in comparison to everything else.

I was so disgusted I didn't even want to play it.
>>
You're not missing out on much.

Showdown is a browser battle sim and the only actually good pokemon game, cause you just plug in some numbers and get straight to battling without iv/ev or grinding bullshit. Obviously not an adventure game though, just there for multiplayer battle mechanics. Understandable if that isn't your thing, but at least it delivers on something unique.

Official Pokemon gets by on nostalgia, that's it. The IDEA for the world it takes place in is really solid, like as a concept it should work great, but the games themselves just suck.

The gold/silver games and their remakes are good. Black/White 2 might be worth playing, the story is sorta ass but the game itself feels like a well balanced adventure. That's really it as far as mainline official stuff goes.
>>
>>964828

> The IDEA for the world it takes place in is really solid, like as a concept it should work great, but the games themselves just suck.

Like I said, I stopped wishing it was like the manga, and played games that were like the manga instead.

>The gold/silver games and their remakes are good
GS was good, I really liked what was implemented, really was an upgrade. Never played the remake

It's just that there is better out there.
>>
I don't really understand why, but something about sun/moon just killed any desire for me to bother with pokemon games from that point.
The mystery dungeon games are okay. and could at least see myself playing more of those, but I just think the world for that game is a little too incoherent for me to really get into. I also think they're enjoyable in spite of being a pokemon game rather than being because they are one.
>>
>>964816
Why do people hate Gen 3 so much
>>
>>964792
You're mixing apples and oranges. Side games (not made by Game Freak and mostly rebranded shovelware), main games and everything in between (Colosseum and Ranger sagas) simply cannot be compared as a monolith due to big differences even regarding genres. I could say SMT is shit as a whole because Jack Bros. is just a Mario ripoff, I wouldn't be wrong but it's not entirely true nor fair to Nocturne, Devil Survivor or Persona. To be honest you sound like the average butthurt fad hopping millenial that feels the need to follow trends but can't keep up with them anymore, static sprites were fixed in Crystal for example and coincidentally was released when """pokemania""" began it's decline, RS were rushed in Japan due to that fact and many plans had to be left behind most notably transfering pokemon from Gen 1 and 2 to the gba entries and the day-night cycle and Gen 4 saw you and many lost features coming back and big shock also a resurgence with media coverage making playing your pokeymans a thing for the cool kids again. Yeah, the latest entries have had literal kusoges but sword and shield with ex. pass is a clear step in the right direction considering Game Freak lackluster experience in triple A 3D console JRPGs with it's open world with overworld envounters and bigger diversity of ecosystems it has a huge problem with textures and turn based RPGs battle mechanics and UI have improved a lot compared to them with Persona 5 being the best comparison but these aren't bad games they're still follow Nintendo quality standards and have big budgets behind them.
>>
>>964861
Not him, but Gen 2 had a lot of trash pokemon that just felt like recolors of gen 1 guys, but gen 3 felt like it was entirely made up of that to me. That's basically the standard at this point, but it still annoyed me a lot.
It was a pretty bad gen for dealing with HMs
It had a really weak rival
I also didn't like the plot revolving around a legendary god-like pokemon, which has also since become the standard
I could probably think of a lot of other little shit, but overall I really just didn't like the single player experience of it as much. Adding abilities was great and there's a few pokemon from that region I liked, but it really felt like a step down to me playing it when it was new
>>
>>964884
>felt like recolors of gen 1 guys, but gen 3 felt like it was entirely made up of that to me
I like gen 3 but this was a real issue. It’s too bad because most of the gen 3 mons that arent just rehashes I like a lot. Now there’s like seven carbon copies of pidgey and I dont understand how anyone gives a fuck about them unless that version is just what they started with as a kid.

> I also didn't like the plot revolving around a legendary god-like pokemon
I liked that a lot at the time just for being such a departure from the two before it, but repeating the exact same fucking plot structure every gen has robbed it of that appeal.

I liked gen 3 for its unique settings, ost, abilities and double typing and team battles, it had some things going for it. I think the biggest thing was I played it at the right age. Missing out on gen 2 probably had a lot to do with it too, I hadnt played since gen 1 so things like held items were new to me.

From what I’ve heard gen 4 is supposed to have been better but I felt too old for pokemon at that point and was annoyed at how hard they were repeating the formula. Also I thought and still think the gen 4 designs are mostly ass.
>>
its comfy
You people try to rationalize your taste way too much
>>
>>964792
>Better monster game in Arc the lad
I've heard the game before but never looked into it, so I never knew it had monster mechanics in it
Mind going into detail?
>>
>>964792
Are you aware that not everyone is interested in the same things as you? I like exploring new lands and Pokemon's gameplay is always solid so I see no reason to drop the series... aside from current prices for Switch and its games. I stopped at gen 7.

>>964884
>Gen 2 had a lot of trash pokemon that just felt like recolors of gen 1 guys
IIRC, many Pokemon in gen 2 were designed in early gen 1 era.
>>
>>965168
Sure, but there's still your starters, first route rat/bird, the two version bugs etc. The series never really needed to have a slightly different version of that shit every time even though it might be strange to not expect it at this point in time. I don't think G/S was really that bad about that stuff though, and more than not built up from the original roster (even if there was a lot of kind of useless ones)
>>
>>964805
I won't say Gen 6 is the best gen. But it might be my favourite. It's the one I had the most fun playing through the first time, BW2 a very close second.
Gen 6 was when I was catchin' 'em all, breeding competitive teams, playing with friends, all that good stuff.
And then that all took a very sharp nosedive with Gen 7.
I've refused to play Gen 8 so far.
>>
I wish the indie mons games knocking off Pokemon weren't such direct knockoffs that they have no chance of ever being anything but low-rent knockoffs nobody has any reason to play
>>
>>965372
Coincidence you bring it up, because my only answer to OP is that Pokemon's only use is to inspire people to try out other monster games and make their own, but at the same time they all just copy pokemon by the numbers instead of trying other monster games or making their own.
Like you can always tell it's someone's vision of what either pokemon is or should be in their mind rather than something that stands on its own
>>
>>965393
Unfortunately Square Enix hates money and marketing so DQM never got that popular, even with the Joker games
>>
>>964792
I didn't bro, I had one foot out the door playing R/S and D/P couldn't keep my attention for more than a couple hours.
>>
File: 1600376093149.jpg (53 KB, 720x490)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>964792
>blablabla

You grew up and got old. Pokemon isn't for you anymore retard.
>>
>>965456
>nooo don't collect your thoughts and try understand why you don't like x or y
He's stated he already wasn't completely hyped up about pokemon even as a kid in the late 90's and 00's, so the growing up excuse isn't entirely relevant
>>
Anyone else feel like Pokemon games, mostly gen 1-3, are extremely sluggish? I can see why everyone plays them on turbo mode on emulator, honestly the new games feel better just because of that.
>>
>>965479
Then the series was never for him(you) to begin with.
>>
>>965433
They could've reignited more interest in the franchise by actually translating the 3ds remakes for the first two DQM games, especially when Pokemon was churning more shit out, Digimon was getting renewed interest on the PS4, and more people were getting exposed to SMT.
But it's too late for that I guess
>>
>>965485
I think the fact that he kept going back to it for a decade and has a lot of shit to say shows there's something in Pokemon that's still for him, it's just covered in shit that's not. And how else can you find what is and isn't if you don't bother to think about it for more than two seconds
>>
>>965192
>Gen 6 was when I was catchin' 'em all, breeding competitive teams, playing with friends, all that good stuff.
Same here. Connectivity in gen 6 was amazing and XY encouraged interacting with others with elements like PSS, Vivillon, Friend Safari etc. I am glad these games are not dead yet. I was able to easily play with others few months ago.

>>965480
The only sluggish Pokemon games are Diamond and Pearl to me. Generation 1 games feel a bit slow due to boring visuals, lackluster interface and shitton of trainers on routes. No problems with gen 2 and 3.
>>
>>965393
monster crown is pretty great and doesn't feel like pokemon
>>
File: 1070827.jpg (49 KB, 322x450)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>964861
>static sprites on the gba
>shitty sprites
>shitty music
>iv/evs discovered
>reused graphics from the N64 on the gamecube

it's dogshit.

>>964882
>You're mixing apples and oranges

90's square, if you picked up a "side game" you were guarnteed a gem.
>I liked FF 4-7 I wonder what tactics and Mana are like.

as opposed to
>gee, I liked red/blue, I wonder what snap like or hey you pikachu.

>static sprites were fixed in Crystal
No they weren't. One frame of animation when it appears is still static in comparison to other gb rpg while almost everything on the GBC had them

>To be honest you sound like the average butthurt fad hopping millennial that feels the need to follow trends but can't keep up with them anymore

You sound like a fat white girl in a bad relationship with this series and doesn't realize how shit is when there are better games.

>RS were rushed in Japan due to that fact and many plans had to be left behind most notably transferring pokemon from Gen 1 and 2

So I guess the nintendo philosophy doesn't apply to this one. Many other tiles got pushed back to ensure the best quality.

> Nintendo quality standards and have big budgets behind them.
No they don't stop being a white girl. Compare this shit to any other nintendo rpg or game for that matter, no one else is reusing models for 10 fucking years.
>>
>>964792
Because LGPE are the only games I dislike
>>
>>965140
It was a Jrpg made near launch of the PS1, it was a strategy rpg that started off basic due to time constraints on the first, but opened up quite a bit in the second.

The first was really just a prologue to the huge tale told in the second, you could even transfer your data from the first to carry over rare items and secret characters.

There was one character in the second game that could tame monsters you fought throughout the game and they could be used in battle and on a second disc called monster arena, it was pretty much the battletower four years before it existed in pokemon......You would get nifty prizes that would help out in game as well as means to getting your characters to high levels.

The only vids I can find of it are with a let's player with an annoying voice.

If you can bare with his voice, you can see it's a good title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skRU4pr4o78
>>
>>965456
>>965485
stop being a shill

>>965492
I thought it seemed interesting near gold, but after that it just seemed like a shit show. All I wanted was an adventure like the manga, but I couldn't get that from pokemon, so I had to go else where. I was sad at first, but I realized that I just didn't want that .
>>
>>965456
>Literally admitting he either didnt grow up or that hes underage
Kek
>>
>>964792
puzzle league is great fuck you
>>
>>965372
Most of them are, that's true. But not all of them, Disc Creatures is Dragon Quest Monsters inspired it's pretty great.
>>
>>964816
It was fine gameplay wise but if you're talking about the actual aesthetic choices made then yes, yes it did. The gen 3 to 5 games were visual abortions.
>>
>>965865
>>
>>965757
What

the

fuck

are

>you

doing?
>>
>>965693
Pokemon is a big visual, setting, and monster design inspiration, but its actual gameplay and focus on breeding is much more Dragon Quest Monsters in origin so that was pretty cool
>>
>>965757
How could you even fit 386 fully animated sprites that big on a GBA cartridge on top of the rest of the game
>>
Pixelmon the minecraft mod on an online world was probally more fun then the new pokemon games.
>>
File: 1521291264673.png (155 KB, 400x389)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>964792
I really liked the concept of the setting, and having an older sibling to compete with kept me held on until Diamond.
That and just being poor, we just didn't try new shit and so didn't have anything to compare pokemon against, now I'll emulate whatever the fuck I want to try. In comparison to a lot else it doesn't have the charm.

I still like to come back and replay the first 2 mystery dungeons once a year, love that shit.
>>
File: iuydlfjdsfgjdkuhjfkfu.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>965985
Eating sawdust is more fun than the Gen 8 games, I bought the expansion pass along with the game and I have zero desire to play the new snow area expansion. Pokemon has been irredeemable garbage for almost 10 years, and I used to fucking love the old games, still do because they had a charm about them now its just lazy cash grabs.
>>
File: WWp0RBR.jpg (177 KB, 791x633)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>965943
did for mystery dungeon.
Stop being a white girl
>>
>>966058
Man those RSE and FRLG assets are awful, I don't get why they look so terrible considering how nice the house and town look in the mystery dungeon games.
One would think they'd be willing to work a little harder on the look of the mainline games rather than add a color or two to gameboy assets which is what they essentially did.
>>
>>966072
They look terrible because GameFreak is one of the worst studios ever. If they didn't own the world's most valuable IP they'd have gone out of business or been bought out ages ago.
>>
>>966072
hence why it was time move on, I didn't want to be ripped off any longer.
>>
>>966077
so many good studios have fallen and this turd is still around. that honestly pisses me off, we will never have another m&l rpg or jade coon, but more shitty pokemon games
>>
>>966077
>>966107
Their magnum opus to this day remains the HGSS remakes for the DS, they had perfected the old style pokemon game. I think that if rather than going full retard and learning from what people loves about those games and the presentation etc. they could've gone forward and expanded on the core concept of the series and reworked the things that didn't.

Its been nothing but stupid gimmicks as far at the eye can see. They genuinely think they can fix the power creep with some base stat boosts, they think they can fix the fucked up type match-up system with another broken type, they think that homogenizing the moves among types would make the game better, how about opening up the movepools so everything already broken has access to everything while the 500+ forgotten ones languish with Gen 3 style movepools.
At this point the gameplay is more scotch tape and Elmer's glue than a functioning system, yet they just keep adding more shit. Digimon evolutions, giant forms, super moves, all the while never addressing the core problems with a system hatched out 25 years ago on graph paper for an 8-bit handheld.
>>
>>966206

no one has kept their battle system for this long, I honestly don't get why pokemon fans can't let go.

We don't need everything in every game, and we don't need to transfer shit from 20 years ago onto a current game, this shit is ludicris.
>>
Just rerelease gen 4 and 5 and bring back their online with voice and text chat.
>>
Or just have a gen 4/5 game with regions 1-5 and walkable pokes
>>
>>966257
>no one has kept their battle system for this long
Well old school RPGs function on very similar mechanics but there's much more there to do because it's not mainly 1v1, that alone brings so many limitations that were ameliorated by 2v2 fights but the problem is that it's not balanced for party fights. In pokemon 1-hit KOs aren't uncommon and in a doubles setting it gets ridiculous really fast and a lot of the mechanics from the 1v1 setting are either useless or overpowered.
DQ monsters or even something like the Digimon Hacker games have so much more room for strategy because it's not shackled to a format that worked for a gameboy game 20 years ago. The 1v1 format imposes far too many limitations for a game with hundreds of moves (most of which are useless) and hundreds of playable monsters (most of which are useless). A lot of the meta is about setting entry hazards and predicting switches and punishing them, the entry hazards themselves were a band-aid for the constant switching but ended up being far too lop-sided completely ruining most rock weak monsters limiting the usable monsters even further.
>>
File: XlWsUFF.jpg (96 KB, 487x756)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>966329
I have seen better games, that won't fix anything, cool happenings like in the manga won't occur. It will be the same shitty game. It's time to move on.
>>
And online modes for either or thats gives you battle revoloution graphic option.
>>
>>966340
wtf are you talking about?
>>
File: 1333163806070.jpg (19 KB, 183x178)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>965806
>>965857
>telling someone to stop playing a children's video game is now shilling and being childish
>>
>>965757
>shitty music
Wtf are you smoking dude? There's tons of problems with gen 3 but it easily has the best OST of the series. You must have terrible taste in music man so you like k-pop or some gay shit?
>>
File: 1576174829489.png (105 KB, 270x325)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
I genuinely could not care less about the fucking "trainer's journey" anymore.
I don't care.
What I want to see is the world.
I want to see Pokemon behaving in organic and interesting ways.
I want to see a society that is meaningfully built around Pokemon instead of a static Machop model/sprite standing at a construction site and a guy saying "oh he helps out here".
I want to see what creative battling and contest coordination looks like, rather than moves only having lasting effects due to literal gimmicks.
What I want is a Pokemon game with even a MODICUM of depth and nuance to its writing and worldbuilding and systems.
This is why the Ranger games were amazing. This is why the Mystery Dungeon games were amazing. This is why Snap was amazing. And I'm never going to get that from Game Freak in 2020 or beyond.
Pokemon will always hold a special place in my heart, but I no longer give a fuck about the actual games.
>>
There is zero reason to play an official pokemon release. Anything they do a fan game/romhack does better.
>>
File: Alcremie.png (891 KB, 1280x1280)
891 KB
891 KB PNG
>>964792
Give me cute pokemon wifes!
>>
Has this become a copypasta or is it still the one person?
>>
I like the sense of child like adventures and growing attached to my niggas, also nostalgia and smogon is sometimes fun
>>
File: thiskills.gif (2.98 MB, 235x122)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB GIF
>>968847
This. Mainline pokemon could actually be amazing given some time and direction.Right now it's just shit, and it will likely always be shit.
>>
>>964792
I'm not reading all that shit nigga
>>
>>968840
>There's tons of problems with gen 3 but it easily has the best OST of the series.

That's sad if it's true, it had shitty trumpets while other series on the gba had much better music

>You must have terrible taste in music man so you like k-pop or some gay shit?

More of a jazz man.

>>968847

>What I want to see is the world.
>I want to see Pokemon behaving in organic and interesting ways.
We haven't got that aside from shitty snap, while other series had provided that.
>I want to see a society that is meaningfully built around Pokemon instead of a static Machop
>I want to see what creative battling and contest coordination looks like, rather than moves only having lasting effects due to literal gimmicks.

It's time to move on, wanted that to, but realized I wasn't going to get it
>>
>>968847
pokemon isn't for you then
try I dunno
digimon world?
>>
>>969097
pokemon was for us, but we got shafted with shit games. Other series provided, gamefreak is ass, simple, why can't you get that.

We only got glimpses of such with ranger and mysterydungeon, the whole trainnier stick is shitty.
>>
>>969097
Pokemon isn't for anyone, people just buy it out of habit
>>
>>969106
Bro mystery dungeon is shiren with a skin on top. Gamefreak never intended for pokemon to be what you want it to be. Just read the manga or watch the anime and leave it at that
>>
>>964861
I bought the Gameboy Advanced solely to play Pokemon but once I learned it lack the previous regions, I gave up on the series for many years. What's worse I heard the side game Pokemon Mystery Dungeon released a game where it included all the previous regions of their games which is nuts considering it's not a mainline game.
>>
>>969074
> other series on the gba had much better music
The GBA is absolutely flooded with devs who tried to use it as an SNES 2.0, in terms of music, and wound up with total fucking garbage. Gen 3 of Pokemon is actually among the most graceful uses of GBA sound hardware, in my opinion.
Also, Pokemon's soundtracks are consistently good, gen 3 isn't the best (or at least not by any significant margin), don't listen to that retard.
>>
>>969956
You expected every Pokemon game to just bolt all the previous regions onto the game? Jesus fucking christ that's retarded. Kanto was a fun one-time bonus. Mystery Dungeon didn't include any previous region much less all of them, you fucking retard.
>>
>>964816
Retard
>>
>>964792
It’s a kid’s game. The thought of sticking around never crossed my mind, and if you’re over 18 neither should yours.
>>
>>965893
Gen 5 looked good.
>>
>>964792
i only follow pokemon for one reason
>>
>>964792
Cuz I like it
Although I hate how hard the most recent games pander to the competitivefags at the expense of an actual singleplayer experience
>>
>>968847
Try Pokepark if you like Snap.

>>969956
>I heard the side game Pokemon Mystery Dungeon released a game where it included all the previous regions of their games
To be fair, those regions got butchered. You couldn't explore old towns and most of the dungeons felt too similar. Kanto in GSC feels more faithful.
>>
I still have a lot of fun playing Online with swshit. Messing around and making a cool team and testing it out against the meta of the week is loads of fun. Singles is for fags though.
>>
>Gen 2 cancer shitting up another thread
I swear it isn't genwunners that are the issue, it's these retards who bandwagon a terrible gen and praise it as great.
Gen 2 sucked, GSC sucked, HGSS also sucked. Fuck off.
>>
>>971220
HGSS were great. Gen 2 was great. It's just that neither was the best.
>>
>>971225
>HGSS
No, they weren't. You just have a boner for follower Pokemon and gen 4 quality of life
>Gen 2 was great
Absolutely not. Dull designs, tons of forgettable pokemon, terrible pacing especially in terms of Pokemon levels, and the 'story' was absolutely nothing going on at all.
>>
>>971240
> follower pokemon
would be nice to have back, but I don't weight them more than they're worth.
> gen 4 quality of life
QoL has improved every gen, I wouldn't dream of going back to the world of limited use TMs nowadays.
HGSS are great because they have the raw gameplay improvements of Platinum and the charming regional design of GSC, plus a lot of nice fanservice.
> Dull designs, tons of forgettable pokemon
I haven't forgotten a single gen 2 Pokemon. No, not even Dunsparse, or Xatu/Natu, or Stantler. The difficulty was bad yeah, as was the story, but they were overwhelmingly comfy and overall a good experience.
>>
File: 1536885352070.jpg (187 KB, 531x533)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>964792
>played red/blue, but wanted more of an adventure like in both manga
You say this, but you don't actually go into any sort of specifics on what you mean by this and what you would want for the games to adapt from comics. Player character with a defined personality? Constantly being accosted by plot-important NPCs whose motivations and allegiances may swing wildly throughout a game/the series in case they return later? What are these elements you think would improve the video game? I'm just making guesses here that you may or may not like the sound of because I just don't know. You say things but don't explain what you mean.
But to answer your main question, I didn't buy into Sword/Shield because personally Game Freak cutting down on the scope of obtainable monster species is very clearly a sign of the beginning of the end for the series. You can try to justify it by saying that it was inevitable given the nature of new games always adding more monsters on top of the old ones, but that doesn't really change the core of my own argument; when the devs weigh actually giving a shit about longtime fans and the series' selling point of "catching em all" against the costs of making everything obtainable within the latest flagship game, and actually choose not to do it anymore, that no longer sits well with me as a fan and a consumer. Why should I continue to care if the devs no longer do?
>>
>>971321
> Player character with a defined personality?

sure why not, I never self insert anyway. I rather see their adventure than pretend to have my own. Heck I would even prefer limited party options if we got to see everyone grow as characters and have plot points.

> Constantly being accosted by plot-important NPCs whose motivations and allegiances may swing wildly throughout a game/the series in case they return later?

Better than being alone most of the game with not much of a story. If you have played other rpgs I

>What are these elements you think would improve the video game?

Just imagine playing through the Mewtwo vs Deoxys battle like in the new yokai watch or at the very least having actually boss battles like an rpg within game. It's better than the same fucking formula for the last 20 years
>>
>>971473
>I rather see their adventure than pretend to have my own.
>Better than being alone most of the game with not much of a story. If you have played other rpgs
>Just imagine playing through the Mewtwo vs Deoxys battle
See, this is where I personally disagree. You can say whatever you want about the other qualities of the Pokemon game and will probably be right about it, but I say Pokemon does the 'role-playing game' part of itself better than a lot of other modern 'RPGs'. The one thing you have to accept is that your player character is a kid with a will to go out into the world, catch Pokemon and maybe be the best at training them by the end, but otherwise you have a lot of freedom about what monsters you will be taking with you, how you go about training them, how you achieve your victories in the battles that come your way. Your version of events crafted by you within the framework of an interactable game. Mewtwo versus Deoxys works within the framework of a comic book story; you have two human characters with some history behind them facing off, Red and Giovanni, and on the Pokemon side, you have the evergreen favourite Mewtwo on the heroic Red's side, facing off against the current story arc's major new antagonistic Pokemon, Deoxys, who's under Giovanni's control. The battle plays out with flashy moves and strategies being thought of on the fly, and yeah it's cool as shit, but recreating something like this as an experience within a video game is not only tough to begin with, but becomes even more difficult if you attempt to place it specifically within the systems of RPGs, which is what we designate Pokemon's genre as. You run the risk of squandering the uniqueness of video games by making things too rigid and scripted in order to follow your specific idea of a cool story. The best video games have enough complexity and depth in their systems for player choice to matter and player expression to emerge.
>>
File: 1600420084511.png (368 KB, 500x500)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>971581
A video game boss battle, for example, will present players with a cool scenario that elevates it above the standard challenges in the game (like a fight against a major character with enough stakes behind it). The next thing should be to provide the player with obstacles, such as a variety of attacks the boss can use on the player. Next the video game should provide a number of ways of overcoming these obstacles through its gameplay systems. If you can only ever do one thing to succeed, you likely have a boring game on your hands no matter how surface-level 'cool' said solution is.
>>
>>969956
>Pokemon Mystery Dungeon released a game where it included all the previous regions of their games
I like PMD but that's really not the same thing. Those games are made up of like one town and a bunch of randomly generated dungeons. Including old regions is way easier if nearly all the content is just created by an algorithm.
>>
>>964861
So I started with Gen 1. Gen 2 felt like it was a huge improvement to Gen 1, but also felt like it was in the same style. The new pokemon, I think largely owing to the fact that many were designed as part of Gen 1, felt consistent, core gameplay and progression was remarkable similar, the plot built off Gen 1. But it still felt fresh and expansive with all it's new features (like the importance of time). The fact that Gen 2 was full of Gen 1 pokemon never felt like a negative to me. It was nice to still have old favourites, and going out of my way to find the new pokemon was half the adventure. Chatting with friends at school and finding out the location of a Gen 2 mon was always a treat.
Gen 3's new pokemon felt, I dunno, off. Something was different about a lot of their designs and it didn't quite click when I first played it. Making the problem worse was the fact that in response to complaints regarding Gen 2's pokemon spread, Gen 3 had very little in the way of prior gen pokemon (or easily accessible ones). They also removed features like the cool Day/Night Weekday cycle, which added a lot of immersion. I also just like Kansai more than Kyuushu (Tohoku Pokemon when?!). Seriously, the fuck was with all the water?
I have a lot more respect for Gen 3 these days than I used to, so I wouldn't say I hate it. However it's in a bit of weird position for me. It doesn't offer the same vintage gameplay and nostalgia hit that Gens 1 and 2 to do, and Gen 4 offers a more complete system, so I almost never replay it.
>>
>>970109
Well yea because the game is pretty basic
>>
>>965456
>Something being shit is okay, if it's for kids!
>>
>>971766
>Gen 3's new pokemon felt, I dunno, off. Something was different about a lot of their designs and it didn't quite click when I first played it.
That might have a lot to do with the general shift in art direction during gen 3. All the artwork became more digital and they got rid of the water color type pictures. Even trainer portraits were sort of brought more in-line with how the anime looked, a shift that became more and more pronounced with each gen.

I still think gen 3 art looks way better than the more modern stuff (compare how it all looks next to the gen 3 remakes for example) but that change felt like it started in gen 3.

As absurd as this will sound talking about pokemon, gen 3 is where all the artwork lost its edge. That goes for in-game and out.
>>
File: huh.png (23 KB, 513x301)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
https://wolfworksstudios.wordpress.com/about/
>someone made a working 3D mystery dungeon fangame before a 2D one
I'm curious, what the fuck is up with MDs code? The most functional (and only one that actually was a MD and not a shitty remodeling of the standard gen3 engine) fangame i've ever seen from it is PMU and it's still janky as fuck, the only one that did look AND work like an actual PMD game was PMDOrigins and nintendo scrubbed it from the internet, now the only way to download it is a outdated leddit version, also is it true that the whole body size limit thing is because of a RAM error and not balancing?
>>
>>964860
Yeah, Sun/Moon was when I quit too. It's like that gen was made to kill 30 year old boomer fans.
>>
>>972469
Its weird how much that it killed interest in the game for me. It's not like it was the first pokemon game to be stupidly easy. I think it was the combination of how little it felt like an improvement over X/Y (particularly online battling) while also having an extremely hand-holdy plot. I actually liked a fair amount of the new pokemon in it and really liked that it got rid of HMs
>>
>>972497
XY was the breaking point for me, mostly because of how horribly optimized it was (a whole second of lag EVERY time you select a menu option in a turn based rpg, what the fuck. Plus loading battles took forever).

I think a lot of people cut XY slack for being the first 3D game, but SM showed everyone it wasn’t gonna get any better. Both in optimization and general game design.

>I actually liked a fair amount of the new pokemon in it and really liked that it got rid of HMs
I didnt even play SM but the designs looked solid, that’s one thing people seemed to like almost universally. Same with getting rid of HMs. As good as that stuff is though, its not enough to save the rest of those games.
>>
>>972469
Honestly i feel like it would kill way more little kids than adults, my kid self already wanted to commit suicide through gen2-5 intros because i wanted to just start violently beating the shit out of route1 mons already and didn't give a fuck about learning how to catch pokemon or some faggy friendship shit, i can't imagine going all the way into gen7 first cutsenes even if i emulated them today(though it is a little more tolerable in citra if you find a way to remove the lag), it's also weird that masuda is a gigaboomer who thinks kids don't have enough attention spans for playing games outside of candy crush but then slaps 6 hour long cutscenes about super basic shit

>>972532
I still can understand why people liked HMs, as >>968847
said, it feels like the pokemon have 0 connection with the world and are just props, the HMs gave you a way of actually using your team for something that wasan't just battling and a way of affecting the world
>>
>>972562
Ideally I would have them not remove HMs, but just have it so pokemon can learn more than 4 moves and you just assign 4 (and can still use shit like HMs out of battle). That way you don't have to fuck over the ones you like or drag along useless ones, but you can still have it feel like the ones in your party actually exist in the world. The stubbornness to not abandon certain mechanics is probably the biggest problem I have with pokemon as a series.
>>
>>972581
>pokemon can learn more than 4 moves and you just assign 4 (and can still use shit like HMs out of battle)
I never understood why they couldn't just let pokemon get extra moves or have some sort of non-battle skill, even if for some autism reason they just HAD to not change anything about the battle system then just make more powerful versions of the HMs, call it precise cut or rapid surf so they don't fall behind the usefulness scale, has there even been any significant change that isn't "status buff that makes your mon numbers higher" made since gen4? I mean in the anime trainers can tell their pokemon to do all sorts of shit mid battle so it's not like they're just retards who can't think up of anything new
>>
File: fuzi.png (3.04 MB, 2700x2250)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
>>
>>971581

> The one thing you have to accept is that your player character is a kid with a will to go out into the world, catch Pokemon and maybe be the best at training them by the end, but otherwise you have a lot of freedom about what monsters you will be taking with you

At this point it's gotten old, I enjoyed pre-written stories more so than anything, majority of the pokemon we take with us aren't very good and the game is easy for us to get through . I would rather have red's party in full action rpg or story based turnbased than the bland stale battles we have in game.
I would rather have a setparty or choice between a few than the same shit we have had for the last 20 fucking years

https://youtu.be/4b-OG69QFkA?t=40

>Your version of events crafted by you within the framework of an interactable game

That's the thing, I don't want to secape nor be someone else, that's why I don't enjoy wrpgs as much.I would rather play another's tale and have it be amazing than play an interactive one that's half baked

>game. Mewtwo versus Deoxys works within the framework of a comic book story;
>You run the risk of squandering the uniqueness of video games by making things too rigid and scripted in order to follow your specific idea of a cool story.

have you played anything besides pokemon? holy crap dude.Other rpgs have been doing this since the 90s
>>
>it's the autism the lad retard again
No one cares about your game ffs

>>964805
Fpbp
>>
>>972532
The problem comes from the way-too-high-poly-for-the-3DS-to-handle models. And then swarm battle putting six of them on screen at once, no wonder those never came back.
I would be okay with the overly ambitious models, they were designed to be future-proof, which is well and good GameFreak is still using them after all, but then in every game after they never did anything them. They did the bulk of the work in creating 600+ models and then got lazy BY NEVER ANIMATING THEM.
>>
>>972998
People have dug into the code and found problems beyond just the high poly models. But the reasons ultimately dont matter to the player side of the experience, the game is laggy as fuck and that’s just unacceptable for a turn based game.

The future proofing thing doesnt even make sense considering half them didnt make it into swsh.

This franchise is fucking garbage.

>>972562
>Honestly i feel like it would kill way more little kids than adults
My 12 year old little sister really wanted to play a pokemon game and after like an hour of X she never touched it again. Even before she tried an official game she was playing roblox pokemon fangames that somehow never got taken down, and her number one complaint about those was that there was always some friend character who would never shut up.
>>
>>973078
>The future proofing thing doesnt even make sense considering half them didnt make it into swsh.
>This franchise is fucking garbage.
I could take a hit in one game, with the excuse of future-proof models, but then Gamefreak throws out that good faith they bought from be by doing nothing with them.
>>
>>972998
>>972998
there honestly no need for them to be that high poly, most of them don't even have facial rigs or anyhting of that nature. The textures are painted on, fucking stupid.
>>
>>965105
This.
You freaks think far too highly of yourselves. I played the last game because it's comfy and fun to catch Pokemon. It's just a game, calm down bros.
>>
>>972759
I can only conclude that you do not like video games as much as you think. I was talking about games in general, not even limited to just RPGs.
>>
>>975158
Nah, I just don't like openness at the expense of a good experience. stop being a white girl.
>>
>>975190
See, I don't understand the appeal of movie games. The joy of video games is having enough choice to do things the way you like, even if the apparent scope of things you can do in a game (explore locations & fight shit in the case of plenty of RPGs, or, say, fight 1v1 fisticuffs in fighting games) is limited. You're just doing chores by pushing buttons in order to advance the plot or whatever otherwise.
>>
>>968848
Yep, this. Hacks of the Pokemon games have far surpassed anything GF has been able to do with it. I am still baffled that they brought this mega evolution/gigantamax mess to a battle system that has been a mess for nearly all its life. GF just aren't fixing anything.
>>
>>975270
Exactly, they're adding shit on top of shit and not fixing the glaring issues with the system, but I guess it's easier to just overtune new monsters to make it worth getting the new game so you can meta with ever more broken little creatures.
Laziness and money grubbing is the business model of GF.
>>
>>964816
>Gen 3 was the tipping point, it looked like abject shit.
I agree on the first part, but heavily disagree on the second. Gen 3 truly was the beginning of the end to this series SOUL.
>>
File: file.png (257 KB, 1280x1005)
257 KB
257 KB PNG
>>964792
>OP thinks Game Freak made PBR and the Gamecube games

Based retard.
Anyway, the series peaked at gen 5 and I only stick around for the fangames. Everyone who says the series peaked at Gen 2 are just nostalgiafags.
>>
>>975239
>>975239
not that it's movie games.

>>975239
You are being a white girl, too much freedom leads to wolfpetls and daily quests. I have enough freedom irl, I want a good story, even within the confines of such you are allowed some freedom, look at KE or even Arc the lad.

>>975482
was the same models stop being a white girl
>>
>>975706
>was the same models stop being a white girl
Based ESL/strokeposter
>>
>>975706
>too much freedom leads to wolfpetls and daily quests.
Alright, this ought to be good. Please elaborate.
>>
>>975482
>peaked at Gen 5

delusional
>>
>>975793
Nah. Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and B2W2 were all great pokemon games. XY was a hazy memory, ORAS was shite, and everything from then onward is an endless tutorial and a self-esteem boosting simulator.

FRLG gave us countless great romhacks so it deserves honorable mention too even though the vanilla game is mediocre.
>>
File: 1606073586760.png (1.37 MB, 1188x1186)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>975814
>ORAS was shite
Still can't believe this happened.
>>
>>970859
Same here, Pokemon is chess with animals. People desperately want it to fulfill their escapist fantasies about being a Pokemon master in spite of the fact that that particular aspect of the series is geared toward kids.
>>
>>973451
Their high poly models are as incompetent as anything else. The only way to make something future proof is to make it as malleable and adaptable as possible. If the models cause lag and frame drops and are difficult to port to new systems then they arent futureproofed at all.

>>975121
People are just calling the games shitty cause they’re shitty games. Your own defense of playing them is to not give a fuck about quality and just take the nostalgia dose.

Which is fine, if that’s what you’re after. It clearly does give you the familiarity you want and a comfy time. I’m also gonna denounce the weirdos who seethe about the series 24/7 instead of moving on with their lives cause that just isn’t healthy.

Still a shit series of games though, and I’m gonna call them shit. None of the above changes that.

>>975826
The shit in this image is why the worst people are the ones who know the games are shit and constantly complain AND still buy the games anyway.
>>
>>975121
some of us are devs and this sgitty series lives on while great series go the way of the dodo it isn't right
>>
>>975980
Maybe your knockoff game shouldn't just have been "Like Pokemon, but..." without even the but
>>
>>976019
no not talking about that. Ae will never have another m&L rpg, we will keep having shittyp pokemon games
>>
The best Pokemon games are those two TCG Gameboy games.
>>
>>975121
It’s just resenting success where you feel it isn’t deserved. It’s a perfectly normal feeling.
>>
>>975937
>Still a shit series of games though, and I’m gonna call them shit. None of the above changes that.
And we're going to continue to enjoy them in spite of their flaws while you let us live in your head rent free.
>>
>>976036
The tcg game was fun, the actual modern tcg is retarded and as bad as all old tcg games.
>>
>>964792
im honestly just waiting for https://gitlab.com/pokemonsdk/pokemonsdk/ to reach v25 and see if i can implement pocket mortys(or that fanmade morticia based variant)/dragon quest monster/spectrobes/smt/digimon on it
>>
>>965456
>outing yourself as an underage
You really didn't think this post through did you?
>>
>>971321
You should have seen this after LGPE.
They decided to spend a significant amount of time, money, and manpower on a shovelware title whose only purpose was to get gofags to buy a switch, instead of spending those resources on making good games.

If you can't see the writing on the wall you are either legally blind or simply refuse to look.
>>
>>976239
>I'm eating shit and you can't stop me!
You sure showed him, anon.
>>
>>976780
I didn't really give a shit about Let's Go since it was specifically stated to be a side game that would serve as practice for developing on Switch that clearly wasn't made for me, the longtime fan. I could wholeheartedly laugh at the weird shit GF did in that game without ever even thinking about a purchase, only a minor worry in my heart about how much its success would affect future games. At the time, we were still anticipating the next 'mainline' games. But Sword/Shield marketing just utterly failed to win me over after the monster cuts were made official. I could excuse a lot of wrinkles in presentation because I never expected much on that front from Game Freak (devs who made really average-looking handheld games before that), but when the devs start abandoning their own principles ('Pokemon is a game about capturing all the monsters' yeah right...) is when my own belief starts to falter.
>>
File: 1586192417884.jpg (117 KB, 1200x675)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>976804
>tfw I'm comfy and having fun with video games while some retards online seethe and post about eating poo
We pokebros just can't stop winning!!
>>
>>976935
>tfw I'm comfy and having fun with video games
So am I. Not Pokémon, of course, because that's garbage.
>>
>>976941
Whatever gets your jollies anon. As long as you're not complaining about a game you don't even play like some kind of eternally angry retard.
>>
>>976954
Don't tell me what to do, faggot. Also, Pokémon Sword and Shield are shit games. Just felt like repeating it.
>>
File: 1584559775372.jpg (108 KB, 300x449)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>976962
I think base SwSh are shit too. Dynamax adventures is pretty fun though. It's like a micro Slay the Spire. I pirated SwSh and I'll likely pirate the next Pokemon game so it's not like I'm supporting GF by still playing it.

If getting mad about video games is how you get your kicks I can't really stop you. Have fun being retarded anon.
>>
>>976975
>I pirated SwSh and I'll likely pirate the next Pokemon game so it's not like I'm supporting GF by still playing it.
I can respect that.
>If getting mad about video games is how you get your kicks I can't really stop you.
It is half of the fun of being here. The other half is actually gushing over the ones I like.
>Have fun being retarded anon.
You too.
>>
>>976993
>getting mad about video games is half of the fun of being here
>>>/v/ is that way anon.
>>
>>977008
/vrpg/ anons didn't pop out of thin air. Pretty much all of us came from /v/
>>
>>977021
We came here to get away from the aggressive shitposting.
/v/ is for shitposting, the spinoff boards are for actual discussion, just don't make the tourists aware these boards exist and we are fine.
>>
>>977073
It's not like this place is hard to find. As long as normies don't give two shits about RPGs we'll be fine.
>>
File: vandash.png (25 KB, 192x192)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>964792
romhacks are preddy gud
>>
>>976239
You're selectively ignoring a large chunk of my post anon.
>Which is fine, if that’s what you’re after. It clearly does give you the familiarity you want and a comfy time. I’m also gonna denounce the weirdos who seethe about the series 24/7 instead of moving on with their lives cause that just isn’t healthy.

I agree there are some people who are weirdly obsessed with being angry about this series. I don't think anyone in this thread is acting like them though, just civilly discussing why the games are bad because a thread on the subject happens to be up.

There's a difference between angry obsession and just talking about why something mediocre and shitty is mediocre and shitty.
>>
>>977196
the fact that fans can make better games is sad anon.
>>
File: two cakes.png (5 KB, 375x224)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>977473
>more pokemon games to choose from, all of varying quality is sad
Whatever you say bro.
>>
>>964792
The best way to play Pokemon is on Pokemon Showdown.

Prove me wrong.

It's impossible.
>>
It's a game made for and targeted to kids, anon. We're not kids anymore, hence, we're not the target audience. It's their loss that they haven't taken advantage of all the kids that grew up with RBY by producing content targeted to them, though.

I only stick to hacks and showdown every once in a while when I get the itch.
>>
>>978939
Showdown is lame, absolutely no spectacle, really boring players just grinding out wins to push a number up, autistic community and you don't get to feel any attachment to your teams because they're very transparently just numbers/movesets.
>>
>>978956
GTFO of here with that "it's for kids shit"

>played my first FF at age 12 I can still enjoy later entries
>played arc the lad at 14, still enjoyed it
>played mario rpg at 8, it's beginnerish, but it's still charming

Pokemon was shitty then and it's shitty now, it's lack of quality.
>>
Isn't there an entire board for this?
>>
>>979747
they are brainwashed by that franchise wholeheartly
>>
>>979485
And the other Pokemon games provide "spectacle"?
>>
>>979747
You are preaching to zombies trying to talk about this subject on /vp/
Literally any other board is a better choice for it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.