[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: no.png (24 KB, 640x480)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>Death magic too OP to be used on random monsters
>Death magic completely inefficient on bosses
>>
File: 1530402172961.jpg (13 KB, 352x395)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>all enemies can be poisoned
>but it does comically low damage so it's useless
>except for that one boss that has absurdly high HP regen (which poison conveniently happens to nullify)
>>
Status effects work when the stakes are high for every battle. Paper Mario is the only rpg I can think of where status effects made total sense. The old crpg games like Wizardry is second since they the game made it known that you could die at any moment if you're not careful. When youre just going through trash in modern rpgs, there's no point cause the fights are just filler. And the boss fights are meant to be cinematic, so they make status effects harder to use.
>>
>>961530
I don't wanna sound like a meme, but in SMT you also need to use status ailments for a lot of normal battles (as some enemies are weak to them)
>>
>game has party building mechanic
>variety of characters and abilities
>two classes are practically mandatory unless you want to die like a dog
>limited character slots
Cool gaem dude...
>>
>>961530
>Paper Mario is the only rpg I can think of where status effects made total sense.
SMT and Persona too
>>
>>961587
For SMT, they work more like Pokemon.
>>
>>961530
Really wish bosses were actually a challenge that necessitated using effects, immunity to everything just leaves all those interesting abilities collecting dust in most games.
>>
>>961318
>Death magic is completely ineffective against bosses
>as are all status effects
>Random mobs are much faster to kill with DPT/DPS than with poison
>Death is so expensive that you might as well use a stronger spell that is a guaranteed one-shot.
>>
I like in baldur's gate 1 where, especially early on in the game, spells like sleep are your most useful spells since all of your characters are squishy
>>
>>962348
Thats why I said status effects work best in games where the stakes are always high.
>>
>>961587
No, you're thinking of etrian odyssey. There's no point in status effects in normal battles in SMT, as normal battles can generally be steamrolled fairly easily
>>
File: potions.jpg (398 KB, 1400x633)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>find rare/super expensive and powerful potions in a few chests
>keep saving them and end up never using them because they are rare and expensive
>>
>>964346
Etrian Odyssey finally made me take the item pill and every RPG since has got a whole lot more bearable and I've never looked back
Just do it anon use the potions when you have to.
>>
>vanish
>death
>>
>>964598
>Just do it anon use the potions when you have to.

no - use them when you want to.
>>
as in "i want a big heal here" - just use the elixir. don't make do with a high-pot or whatever.
>>
File: how delightful.png (1.3 MB, 1280x720)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>use Scan on a boss
>HP: ????
>MP: ????
>>
File: 1600810165313.jpg (47 KB, 1200x1200)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>961318
>bring boss HP gauge to 0
>boss suddenly becomes stronger
>HP gauge no longer visible
>>
>game has steal
>without a shitload of specific items or specific builds, steal is utterly buttfuck useless
>only have something like 12% chance to steal
>the vast majority of items that you can steal are worthless or easier to just buy
Fuck steal, I have literally never ever built for steal in any game i have ever played and neither have I ever trained a thief unless the game forced me to
I dont care if im missing out on some ultimate weapon, its not worth the pain in the ass to get to that point when I can just use the second best weapon in the game without wanting to blow my brains out
>>
>>964779
Ff9,11 are the only games with a good steal mechanic.

9 because you almost always get good or great shit not just potions.

11 because gil is hard to earn and some enemies can become good cash cows to steal from while farming.
>>
In conclusion

>Why use Sleep when you can slice'em
>Why use Poison when you can diec'em
>Why use Death when you can slah'em
>Why use Blind when you can thrash'em
>Why use any pesky mahicks other than the ones that buff me, you fucking useless mage I swear my arms hurt of all the killing, my ax handle has no more room for marks and you barely have done nothing useful other than spam Firaga at that one boss

Except in BG where nomatter who is fighting against who, if a cc spell hits, whoever is in that side is fubar
>>
>train your fighters and mages
>same level
>same equipment strength
>same skill levels

>warrior attacks
>70 damage to one enemy
>uses pot to heal 30
>back to over 2/3rds health

>mage attacks
>summon odin
>300 damage to all units in a 100 square area encompassing all 10 enemies
>everyone dies

t-thanks game designers
>>
>>961530
You can poison and make bosses fall asleep (to a lesser extent) in DQ too
>>
>>964779
In all the games I've seen stealing used in so far had nice stuff.
>Could find permanent stat boosts and the best gear from stealing by the end of chrono trigger
>Stealing from bosses in bravely default gave gear that would last for the next act or longer
>>
>>961530
Literally Etrian Odyssey and Darkest Dungeon
>>
>>966365
Games no one cares about. DD is also not a balanced game. I can roll dice and have a more balanced experience.
>>
>>965210
Magic is over powered you imbecile, that's why mages are rare
>>
>>964216
Yep.
Why bother targeting status ailments, just target elemental weaknesses and stomp the encounter much faster and with less randomness involved.
Figuring out both takes the same time and one has a way bigger payout.

>>962348
Exclusively JRPG problem basically, stats are fucking rad in all DnD descendant video games, including JRPG dungeon crawlers since they take after Wizardry which takes after DnD.

I think Final Fantasy genuinly killed status ailments since they tend to be pretty good in Dragon Quest aswell.

You can dazzle/fuddle pretty much any boss, including the last one.
>>
>>967377
>stats
*status ailments
>>
Status effects seem to be most effective in games where encounters are fewer but individual enemies are slightly meatier. Bonus points if it’s a game with fewer party members or where the enemies just seem to get a greater number of turns or ticks compared to you.
>>
>>967377
Final fantasy is the one series that doesn't really utilize ailments well. Most JRPGs do, but since they aren't FF they're 'niche'.
>>
>>967377
Just because you only played FF doesn't mean other japanese games are just as trashy as that
>stats are fucking rad in all DnD descendant video games
Most stats that aren't CC are fucking useless in most DnD based game, what are you talking about? There's the rare game where Cloudkill actually works like Kingmaker and then there's other five games where it's fucking worthless, looking at you NWN, otherwise all you're pulling is Grease for CC procs if the games allow it, show me one D&D game from the last 20 years where poison is actually worth building on.
Conversely you can just build a juggernaut meat wall while your casters spam DPS in the sidelines and get away with everything.
Not to mention all those non D&D based games where statuses are just worthless, or worse of all, they're just the same exact thing with a different colour, most egregious example being DOS2 where over half of the status effects are just the same exact one turn CC but with different resistances.
>>
>>967683
It's weird to me that people forget how Toxic stalling is the king of 1v1 Pokemon meta.
>>
>>964966
checked

To be fair, FF8's Death is probably the best in the series because as far as I can tell it functions like the other status effects in the game, wherein they all SHOULD work 100% of the time – BEFORE the target's status defenses are brought into the equation.

Most FFs cuck their Death spell unless the enemy uses it on you, giving it a pathetic 33% chance to proc at most. But in FF8, I seem to consistently land Death spells on anything not immune to it outright. Also, FF8's Death spell animation/sound effect is fucking based.
>>
>strike a beast with a whip, it gets paralyzed
>hit the boss with Aging, its level decreases and it becomes susceptible to Blue Magic
FF5 status effects were fun and even worked on the final boss
>>
>>969261
the only ff who took status ailments seriously has the most fun gameplay
who would've thought
>>
>>967683
Which is most?
Tell me five JRPG series in which ailments are good. You are gonna struggle.
Now hard mode do it without Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest.

>>967706
Acid is functionally identical to poison in most DnD derivative system and it is usually pretty good for periodic safe damage.
Poison is not even good in DnD because Undead resist it, and they tend to be one of the most numerous kinds of enemies in vidya.

Even in non DnD derivative CRPGs stats tend to be pretty good. Dragon Age has disgustingly strong debuffs. Same as Drakensang and every western Tactics rpg ever.
Also can you fucktards stop coping for a second? Not everything is an attack on your precious anime tiddy.
I play both crpgs and jrpgs and there is no denying that ailments and conditions are much stronger in western vidya than they are in JRPGs.
>>
>>961318
>Game has weapons that cause status effects.
>Swords that cause death wind up becoming the standard in random encounters and eliminate any and all strategy.
>>
>>966996
>get to pick any class at the start
>mages being rare
Sure.
>>
>>969439
In the lore you imbecile
>>
>>969456
If mages are rare and overpowered in the lore they shouldn't be playable. Gameplay comes first.
>>
>>961318
Thwack!
>>
File: DQ3_Spell_Thwhack.png (146 KB, 250x255)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>969522
...forgot image
>>
File: karen.jpg (138 KB, 267x1600)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>status effects are extremely useful
>people say they're shit because of a shitty meme perpetuated by bad players
>>
>>969530
Or they play games where they're pointless, in most FF games they never hit or they're never worth being used because you can use a SUPER KEWL nuke to 9999 them to death.
There are a bunch of jairpgs where statuses are excellent if you're not a retard that plays a game 10+ levels over the natural curve.
>>
>>969499
Why wouldn't you want to be an overpowered mage who wreck everything in his path just by waving your hands?
Singleplayer games don't need to focus on balance, fun "comes first"
>>
>>969499
PC by very definition is a special snowflake so he can be any class player want. Even group of 6 casters in a magic world is not bad because it is not a norm and they are exception cause they are heroes of the story. Unless you tell the story of mud shoveler that dies after achieving nothing remarkable, because if he would achieve something then it would mean he was exceptional mud shoveler and probability of being mud shoveler exceptional enough to become a hero is similar to being a wizard in low magic setting.
>>
>>969568
>>969606
The post >>965210 was about the difference between fighters and mages. All the classes should be equally fun/overpowered, instead of having Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit in the same party. Mages being "rare" is not a justification for making the class more powerful than any other.
>>
>>969568

That shit wasn't exactly fun in KOTOR
>>
>>969647
KOTOR was quite well balanced, you could either be murer rape machine with lightsaber or murder rape machine with force powers. No path was inferior to other. Well maybe jedi sentinel but this form start seemed like a trap option.
>>
>>969631
>All the classes should be equally fun/overpowered
That's the stupidest thing you can implement in a singlerplayer RPG
>Mages being "rare" is not a justification for making the class more powerful than any other
Every single person you meet, every lore book, every scroll, every artifact is telling you how strong mages are, how they can destroy entire cities, defeat armies of elite soldiers and knights, how they can control everything, even humans and other creatures are not safe from their control, that even demons are afraid of them
>You pick mage class
You get defeated by a fucking rat
How the actual fuck are you going to enjoy this?
>>
>>964779
Final fantasy tactics would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>964779
I love FFTA because you can strip naked a human boss and beat his ass with his own weapons. Based cinquedea
>>
>>969334
>Tell me five JRPG series that aren't EO or DQ in which ailments are good. You are gonna struggle.
Megaman X Command Mission
Pokemon + Mystery Dungeon
Digimon Story + DS: Cyber Sleuth outside of a few shit-tier bosses that resist everything
Earthbound
Mario RPG but that game's easy enough without them.

I actually did struggle to think of a fifth one so I'll toss in South Park Stick of Truth and Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden and you can split hairs on whether or not those count.
>>
>>969334
Pokemon series
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Romancing SaGa/Scarlet Grace
Megaman Battle Network (emotion gauge and bugs)
Final Fantasy V, VIII, Tactics/A/A2
>>
>>969807
>be level 1
>die to a level 1 enemy
Sounds fair to me.
>>
>>969499
Go to hell
>>
>>964779
Letd not forget
>items you can only get using Steal
>can’t just kill the guy, it won’t be on his corpse
>>
>>961318
FF1PSP's Chronodia fight is a nail in the coffin with this.
>could be vulnerable to darkness
>lol no
>spam Protect/Blink/Invisira/White Robe to survive
>>
>>969522
>>969523
shit I havent been on dqg in forever
>>
>>969928
>Megaman X Command Mission
Pretty sure all the bosses are immune to ailments still, also why the fuck is it so difficult to get good status missiles
>>
>>970193
TES games need credit for having this down at least. If an NPC is wearing or using something, you can god damn get it if you kill them. The WYSIWYG approach should be more common.
>>
>>969928
>Pokemon + Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon is so incredibly easy when you are just playing single player you don't really need them.
But they are really good in multiplayer so I guess it counts.

>>969928
>Earthbound

Good call. Heavily Dragon Quest inspired but between the nerd boys scan and how high the success rate for paralysis is they are definitly potent.

>>969943
>Romancing SaGa/Scarlet Grace
Idk if they specifically buffed them in Scarlet Grace but they suck ass in the other Romancing Saga games. Unless you use a guide and know who has low resistances.

>>969943
>Final Fantasy V, VIII, Tactics/A/A2

I would not count any Final Fantasy.

See how conditional this shit is?
Either the game is piss easy to boot or ailments are only good in multiplayer or it is an SRPG, not a pure JRPG.

And for that there are dozens of JRPGs out there in which ailments do not do jackshit since every boss is immune to them.

Trails, SMT, Persona, Phantasy Star, Breath of Fire, Lufia, Grandia, Suikoden, Bravely Default, FF, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia and so much more.

It is much easier to list the JRPGs where ailments actually do jackshit when used by you instead of the ones where they are exclusively toys for your enemies.
>>
>>964346
>not saving them all for the superboss that you need every single resource you've ever accumulated throughout the game to even attempt
>>
>>961318
you can't use insta death spells on bosses because that would be too easy
duh
>>
>>969522
But thwack works perfectly fine in random encounters.
>>
>>972956
Yeah, that's what I meant.
>>
>>971408
>Mystery Dungeon
>easy
You haven't played it if you think it's easy. For some idiotic reason you can't use recruited mons when completing story dungeons, so the bosses will end you in two turns if you don't use status items.
>>
>>975368
Cyndaquil and charmander both have smokescreen witch is OP as fuck and will completely fuck anything if it hits, so anon might have played as either
>>
File: 9.jpg (48 KB, 648x960)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>975464
>pokemon is so easy that you don't really need status moves
>maybe he used a fire mon and btfo'd everything with a status move
>>
>>961530
>Paper Mario is the only rpg I can think of where status effects made total sense
play any wrpg for a change, now the status effects matter
>>
>>975368
I just don't think mystery dungeon is terribly hard in general. I have played a few Pokemons and Chocobo, wanna pick up Shiren the Wanderer on Steam soon.

In the mystery dungeon games I played preparation is all the game, take enough of those ressurection seeds into the dungeon and the boss is ez.
If you also use the offensive seeds most bosses aren't terribly threatening.

The only hard stuff is those late game dungeons where you start at level 1 and/or can take no items into the dungeon. And I think none of those are required for story.
>>
>>961318
*laughs in arcanum*
Truly the master of rpgs

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.