[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 44nyb1buif271.jpg (293 KB, 2421x1259)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
Is Daisoujou the best demon in the entire franchise? Think about it, is there a single one who's in your party for anywhere near as long with utility for practically every single fight the way he has?
>>
>>2971836
So get this, he's based on this shinto or buddhist mummies right? Except unlike the pussy egyptian mummies they don't wait till after they die. They just dress up in their best mummy outfit, find a spot, bury themselves with rocks or whatever and just slowly die of oxygen loss.
>>
>>2971909
but did they score?
>>
>>2971836
Your mom is the best semen demon. Trust me, I know.
>>
>>2971909
>die of oxygen loss
starvation actually, that's why the bodies stay preserved, though it's supposed to be their "enlightenment", it's because there was nothing in their gut to breed bacteria with.
>>
>>2971909
Ohh like Souther's teacher in Hokuto no Ken right?
>>
File: Daisoujou_P5R[1].jpg (239 KB, 1920x1080)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
https://allthatsinteresting.com/sokushinbutsu
>This diet would typically last for 1,000 days, though some monks would repeat the course two or three times to best prepare themselves for the next phase of sokushinbutsu. To begin the embalming process, monks may have added a tea brewed of urushi, the sap of the Chinese lacquer tree, as it would render their bodies toxic to insect invaders after death.

>At this point not drinking anything more than a small amount of salinized water, the monks would continue with their meditation practice. As death approached, the devotees would rest in a small, tightly cramped pine box, which fellow votaries would lower into the ground, about ten feet below the Earth’s surface.

>Equipped with a bamboo rod as an airway for breathing, monks covered the coffin with charcoal, leaving the buried monk a small bell which he would ring to notify others that he was still alive. For days the buried monk would meditate in total darkness, and ring the bell.

>When the ringing stopped, above-ground monks assumed the underground monk had died. They would proceed to seal the tomb, where they would leave the corpse to lie for 1,000 days.
That's why he has that bell.
>>
>>2971836
He cute
>>
>>2971952
Why is he a skelly in game then?
>>
>>2972051
He died
>>
>>2971909
fucking metal
>>
>>2971836
I don't like the mechanic of demons gaining XP. It goes against SMT's themes of bitter sacrifices for power. You start off with trash mob demons like Pixies and Brownies and after hours of hardship you become powerful enough to have allies that are the chiefs of their pantheons, like Shiva, Odin, etc. Demons gaining XP pushes back against this and encourages "forming a party" of your favorites (all the XP-granting items in V allowed for this). But, I get why Atlus went away from this. Their audience changed. Newer fans are expecting demon growth and evolution because of other monster-collection games such as Pokemon.

As much as I personally do not like demons gaining XP, I understand why Atlus felt they had to lean into it. But, by doing this, they took away one of the things that made SMT unique.
>>
>>2972451
The solution to this would be to have a fusion system where you can create much more powerful versions of many of the early-game demons by sacrificing late game demons, so if you really like Pixie or something you can go out of your way to get a viable Pixie or reskin of it in the late game.
>>
>>2972451
It's pretty irrational in SMT3, by the time you have a level 71 Daisoujou you could easily have a full party of apex demons.
I like demons being mechanically encouraged to be temporary but getting a couple of milestone powerups from xp growth is cool, it makes the game feel memorably "staged" where you can recall when you were using Oni for a few hours instead of it just being a constant tumble dryer
>>
>>2971836
if you use this guy you didnt beat the game
>>
>>2972451
>encourages "forming a party"
It really doesn't. All it does for the most part is allow a sense of progression with demons in the form of unlocking skills, but the vast majority of demons aren't at all viable for keeping in the team long term outside of the near end game ones. Talking about pre V games here since I haven't touched it
>>
>>2972451
Leveling up your demons in Nocturne is way less efficient than fusing better ones, though. Daisoujou eventually goes out of style too, at least in hard mode. You could grind him up to the level cap but you'd be a fool to do that.
>>
>>2971836
In Nocturne he's like the apex support demon. I don't know if he ever reached those heights again in the rest of the series though
>>
>>2972937
The fact that most demons are only useful in specific niches makes the party building better, not worse. Assembling a specific team to take down a boss is more interesting than level grinding or running with the same overpowered squad you used in the last dungeon.
>>
File: lpdaeng-mummy.jpg (59 KB, 600x870)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2971909
Yeah it's called a Sokushinbutsu. Some of them did it in glass cases in temples and rang a little bell each day to let people know they were still alive. Pic related, he's still on display.

The sunglasses are because his eye sockets were frightening children.
>>
>>2972959
>Some of them did it in glass cases in temples
Nah they just moved him there after his mummification was complete.
>>
>>2972959
Is... is he alive?
>>
>>2972989
Not since 1973. Apparently geckos use his corpse as a hatchery, he doesn't seem to mind.
>>
>>2972954
>The fact that most demons are only useful in specific niches makes the party building better, not worse. Assembling a specific team to take down a boss is more interesting than level grinding or running with the same overpowered squad you used in the last dungeon.
Huh? Your response is a complete non sequitur.
>>
>>2972451
In Persona 5 you are changing demons constantly since the level-up is way slow.
>>
>>2971952
It's funny how this shows the Asian tendency to care about appearances rather than truth. They used these material cheats to create a situation that would seem like their body wouldn't decay because they had transformed it spiritually, all to get people to revere them after death. Face culture is a bitch.
>>
>>2973064
A demon that's only any good for one dungeon is still a worthwhile demon. The game is full of demons like that, which encourages you to switch frequently so you have demons that are appropriate for the specific dungeon you're in. Switching frequently leads to more varied gameplay. This is preferable to a game full of demons with long term value who don't encourage frequent switching.
>>
>>2972296
But shouldn't his skin be preserved after death? That's the entire point of the process.
>>
>>2972937
I was talking about V specifically. There are certain demons in that game with unique skills which make them best in class, and there are items which enable keeping them in "your party" when in other games you would have had to make the bitter choice of fusing them.

I was very disappointed by V.
>>
>>2973287
Skeletons are cool
>>
>>2972451
SMT's core theme is literally "the power of friendship" you absolute retard
>>
Depend of the game.
>Persona 4 Yoshitsune and Dai
>Persona 3 had Satan and Helel
>Persona 5 I used Lucifer but I heard Yoshitsune is also OP
>Persona 1 had super pixie
I remember using Metatron in SMT IV but I doubt is the best demon(I remember hearing Shiva and Uriel being better)
>>2973771
It isn't in I, IV and SJ. Nocturne had only one friendship ending tho
>>
>>2973771
based
>>
I just killed him how do i fuse him?
>>
>>2972451
I get what you're saying anon, but I don't think it really makes a difference. I've never played an SMT where leveling up a demon was more efficient than fusion. When people complain about the series being grindy, I have to wonder if they're retarded and trying to level their demons.

In V, even those leveling items are limited unless you put in the work to grind them, or buy that dlc like a good little piggie. If people want to be autistic enough to take their favorites to 99, I don't see the harm in letting them.
>t. played Nocturne, SJ, IV, IVA, V, currently playing KMT I

>>2971836
He is insanely based and a homie
>>
>>2973270
I get what you're saying and I think from a single playthrough gameplay standpoint I prefer it as well. It's easy to fuse a useful demon for a particular scenario when you don't have to worry about skill inheritance or leveling them up to fit the mold, you have binary choices between Demon A and Demon B with no variations in between.

I think demon growth and inheritance makes for more mechanical depth when you're playing to fight superbosses or create a perfect team. A side effect of that is it means every demon could be functionally identical save for their base resists and weaknesses, which would cause better resist profile demons to overshadow weaker ones.
>>
>>2972959
those glasses are making him look fire af
>>
>>2973146
>It's funny how this shows the Asian tendency to care about appearances rather than truth.
That's every culture. The business culture that has come to dominate the west, for example, has layers and layers of portraying yourself as a better employee than you really are, portraying your business's position as stronger than it really is (except for when filing taxes, when you want to do the opposite), and so forth. Marketing is a gigantic industry and it's all about manipulating appearances.
>>
>>2972451
I don't think it's that big a deal. Demons gain levels slower than the protagonist and they only learn so many skills before they hit their maximum usefulness. Then you fuse them to make something stronger.
You kinda gotta invest to keep a demon relevant for more than 5 or so levels to the point that it's generally more useful to just fuse them. It's rare cases like Daisoujou that will give you any incentive to keep them around for longer periods of time.
>>
>>2978795
I mean every culture has the concept of face. Asia just has it on a much higher level than the west does. The west tends to operate more on cultures of guilt than shame (which is tied to face).
>>
File: 1663801651419279.jpg (43 KB, 370x370)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2971836
This man carried my team throughout the whole game, mad respect. In fact once I gave him all right skills for fusion he was the only one who leveled the old fashioned way as I stopped fusing him.
>>2973287
He is a Fiend, outside Alice its kind of a tradition for the Fiends to be skeletons.
>>
>>2980437
>The west tends to operate more on cultures of guilt than shame
Hasn't been true for generations now.
>>
Yoshitsune was viable through the entirety of V thanks to Hassou Tobi.
>>
>>2972451
>It goes against SMT's themes of bitter sacrifices for power.

It makes the game more about sacrificing for power. Demons that don't level are just materials. You don't care about them and they aren't sacrifices.
Even with the overabundance of XP granting items in SMTV early demons would ultimate fall behind and need fused. But now you are fusing that demon you put a bunch of effort into.
Really only the DLC quest demons had long term staying power in SMTV and that was due to overpowered unique skills.
>>
>>2971836
He's probably the biggest jump in power in the entire series, yes. His only downside is that he comes pretty low level and low base level demons don't keep up with high base level demons in the combat formulas. Luckily, the game keeps giving you fiends that you can just transfer his moves to. My demon party build for 90% of the game was just draining shit and having one element in case there's a weakness.
>>
>>2971836
Probably yeah, all the fiends are stupid strong but Daisojou is on a tier of his own. I don't even know why they did that, well on a gameplay level at least, as part of the story, fiends only exist to advertise the TDE.
>>
>>2984800
Probably wanted to see if they could make drain moves not suck ass.
>>
>people listing shit like lucifer or super pixie
You daisoujou super early. That's why he's the best demon in the series. He singlehandedly fixes your MP issues too. He is the biggest power leap in the series.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.