[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nwn.jpg (892 KB, 1280x960)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
Anyone play recently? Should I stick with Diamond Edition or is Enhanced worth getting, honestly I don't get what the point is, it doesn't really look any better. Also is Swordfight worth a play or overhyped? Never really liked the original campaign.
>>
>>2923777
I never make it out of the tutorial anymore.
>>
>>2923777
This game had so much coomer marketing art I am not even surprised half of its fan modules are degenerate fetishes
>>
>>2923777
when you walk behind environment stuff it erases a circle to still see your character. and the online services are back up under BeamDog.

nice trips.
i still rock the original because poor. i bought it for five dollars and i be damned if i waste it
>>
NWN2 > NWN1
>>
>>2923777
There's little point in playing EE. If anything it makes community modules more prone to crashing for some reason.
>>
>>2923788
Same goes for me. I really liked the campaign back at release. But it aged like aged milk.
>>
>>2923777
If you own diamond, just stick with it unless you play at a particularly high res or have a desire to join a PW.
Otherwise you can only get diamond by buying ee now?

Anyway the game is all right, if like child me at release you thought you were getting 3d baldurs gate, prepare for disappointment though the game is fun enough. There's definitely worse choices you can make though the plot and characters in the OC are pure dogshit and mugged by nwn2 if you can get the ui and camera to your liking
>>
>>2923912
>aged like aged milk
>>
>>2923945
it's lord of the rings the third age'd milk
>>
>>2923777
you can easily change save between the version
The Custom modules are great took me a few tries to get into it but its fun
>>
>>2923777
Swordflight isn’t overhyped. How can an amateur mod of a minor 20yo rpg be overhyped anyway?

Its a well designed, challenging module. A new chapter just released which may be why theres so much talk about it. Some hate it because they expect their nwn modules to be easy and only played for the sake of content.
>>
>>2923979
>Some hate it because they expect their nwn modules to be easy and only played for the sake of content.
This is basically how modern game design works. Although, I think NWN1 by its very nature requires some jumping through hoops to actually make a challenging module that doesn't simply account for multiple players or overtuning the encounters.
>>
File: file.png (1.23 MB, 1711x570)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
you guys should play the sunset over OCEM RP persistent world.
>>
Fighter or Wizard
>>
>>2923777
>Also is Swordfight worth a play or overhyped?
It depends. Do you love NWN combat/build autism, are you incredibly autistic, and do you hate yourself?
If all answers are "yes", you may like it.
>>
>>2924181
what
How hard do you suck a NWN that you had to do "combat/build autism" to get through Swordflight?
I literally finished it with a Sword & Board-Fighter.
Every challenge the game throws at you can be countered by scrolls and/or Potions.
>>
>>2924143
monk/cleric/weapon master
>>
>>2923979
Swordflight is incredibly overhyped and overrated and a good example of monkeys pay in action

>chapter 2 is arguably the best user module from a rp and world perspective
>the entire series has some of the worst, most overtuned combat imaginable
imagine trying to make elite muh dork souls of NWN combat in a game where you can barely even control your own character

the meme difficulty also ruined the future modules: the dev has become obsessed with it an each chapter since 2 has become progressively worse starting with literal respawning mmo tier enemies you're supposed to grind and ending with chapter 4 and 5 where there is barely and worldbuilding at all
>>
>>2924380
>you had to do "combat/build autism" to get through Swordflight
Based 3 INT fighter with no reading comprehension. Alas, a build with high AC is infinitely more pleasant to play there than a roleplaying character with mediocre/low AC. And terrible party controls and AI heavily favor a main character with high AB and damage, who can easily hit enemies and break the "fuck you" destructables on almost every single boss past chapter 2.
Arcane scroll access is also heavily favored on epic levels - at the very least, you can get a lot of timestops and unlimited scrolls of gachi fisting, not to mention other options.
>>
>>2924481
>and ending with chapter 4 and 5 where there is barely and worldbuilding at all
Have to disagree there, chapter 5 finally offers quite a lot of plot development after two chapters of pure filler, godawful Abyss portals (still two more in chapter 5, this shit is unsalvageable) and content bloat. Though it completely shits on the lore with epic level hobo demigods as your henchmen - the random level 30+ dwarf was the most hilarious.
>>
>>2923777
Is there a way to play an archer without getting fucked by opportunity attacks? This shit doesn't work in real-time.
>>
>>2924481
It came out in 2013 before Dark Souls was that big. I doubt he was influenced by it.
>>
>>2923777
play original, not enhanced.
skip main campaign.
play both expansions.
skip new faggot content.
play some of most recommended custom campaigns.
there you go, no need to thank me
>>
I don't even understand the appeal in a partyless dnd game.
Fucking pointless.
>>
>>2925112
incredibly niche and specific.,

the original campaign is FINE IF you play it multiplayer, comfy
>>
>>2926363
>the original campaign is FINE IF you play it multiplayer, comfy
I guess, but no friends here. Actually I kinda like first chapter in the city, but that's all
>>
>>2926367
then host for me it's been years i will play with you speaking from experience
>>
>>2923777
I replay the oc every few years. Won't argue it's shit but we all have sentimental nostalgia poisons. Swordfight has a new chapter, maybe that's why you think it's over hyped now. Most of the online RP drama has died down. I'd get enhanced edition unless you preown diamond. Now is probably the best time to play nwn overall.
>>
File: 1674202899980919.png (137 KB, 506x640)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>2926385
I'm too shy, but thanks
>>
>>2924143
Blackguard because muh' ebil roalplae!
>>
>>2926455
Best evil roleplay is just to be a lawful evil regular character with a normal class and just play the quests straight while maximizing things to your own benefit instead of just being a psycho.
It's the most realistic too.
>>
>>2924143
fighter 5/cleric x, air and healing domain
>>
>>2925112
>>2926367
>>2926415
>skip main campaign.
>I'm too shy, but thanks
I always suspected that its the same bunch of zoomer autists always sperging out about the main campaign in NWN but now you just confirmed it.
Thanks!
>>
>>2926565
The OC was always regarded as a joke, especially compared to what had come before it. Larping as some boomer isn't going to convince everyone of your delusional viewpoint.
>>
>>2923777
>worth a play or overhyped
All nwn mods are overhyped. Just play the most famous and you will understand. At best, "it was decent... I guess" but majority will always generate the classic "wait, that's it?". And yes, really, that's it.
>>
>>2926572
>>2926565
You nerds need to stop being paranoid and just host and play a fucking videogame together. Fuck saje zoomies are too retarded, like what are you even afraid of that what the other person is gonna find out how truly pathetic you are? Who gives a shit, you're all pathetic here. Just play a ducking videogame and have fun. Retarded children on this website care too much about their shit identity and low self esteem issues they can't even play a videogame together. Take the actual boomers advice and stop caring about dumb shit and literally just have fun
>>
>>2926565
OC fucking sucks, millennial newfag.
>>
>>2926593
No, never play anything with people from this website , those who are willing to join a game will be unbearable faggots.
>>
>>2926599
You're being an unbearable faggot by living in irrational fear and just being a conceited narcissist count this way. Some of the best people I've met online were from /VG/ and /v/. You want unbearable go to reddit and see how it goes there.
>>
>>2926593
>you just need to play with someone else to appreciate it
I played through the OC with actual friends back when it released, since we were all waiting for it. The game doesn't magically become good just because you've got someone else to experience the garbage with you. At best it becomes slightly more endurable.
>>
What did the OC do so wrong to have all of /vrpg/ recommending against it? Especially since the story directly leads into the expansion campaigns...
>>
>>2926643
It's an ugly Diablo 2 clone with DnD mechanics, a boring story, shallow henchmen, and very repetitive chapter structure. The expansions and many modules do at least one or more things much better, and some modules are genuinely good visually.
>>
>>2926643
Also, Aribeth in HotU was a mistake. Valsharess should've been you designated chapter 3 evil companion.
>>
>>2926643
chapter 1
>go north
>go south
>go west
>go east
chapter 2
>go north
>go south
>go west
>go east
etc.
b o r i n g as fuuuuck
>>
>>2923959
Saves from EE don't work on Diamond.
>>
>>2926643
>all of /vrpg/ recommending against it
unlike every single site since the release?
>>
>>2926765
yeah bro I'm sure everyone was like "this game is great but you should skip a third of the main content" right when it released 20 years ago
>>
>>2926769
That's been the common line for well over a decade though.
>>
File: 1279737430922.jpg (241 KB, 446x600)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>2926572
>The OC was always regarded as a joke
Yeah by redditors who never played the game who keep regurgitating shit spewed by Codexfags. You trying to tell us something?

>>2926595
>its bad because its bad!
Amazing zoomerism on display.

>>2926643
>What did the OC do so wrong to have all of /vrpg/ recommending against it?
RPG-Codex has some weird hateboner for it so it was only a matter of time until the no-opinions-of-their-own-squad started repeating it.

>>2926656
Confirmed for never having played it.

>>2926734
Exactly like SoU and HOTU.
And literally 99% of popular mods.
gg no re
>>
File: dozo.jpg (24 KB, 480x360)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2926779
So in other words, you are just repeating something someone else told you.
Yeah pretty much what I expected.
>>
>>2926734
>it's boring because each chapter has a central hub
Hmm...
>>
I Liked the first 2 chapters after that the game became way too grindy beat it and I just started SoU and the quality already feels much higher
>>
I have never played any NWN games. should I skip 1 and just play the 2nd game ? which campaigns are the best/most fun?
>>
>>2925112
>play some of most recommended custom campaigns.
How about naming some of these recommended custom campaigns?
>>
>>2924574
One of the reasons why I dropped it at chapter 3. No point at all to playing an epic character, if you're going toe-to-toe with actual snakes in a sewer
>>
I'm about to play Neverwinter Nights as my first one of this genre other than KOTOR and VtMB if they count. Anything I need to know, or mods to download before I start?
>>
>>2927142
Get Use magic Device skill
Try OC campaign if you're not feeling it skip to Expansions
>>
>>2923777
>is Enhanced worth getting
No.
>is Swordfight worth a play or overhyped?
Severely Overrated.
>>2923979
>How can an amateur mod of a minor 20yo rpg be overhyped anyway?
In this way
>Its a well designed, challenging module.
Nothing challenging about it. I wouldn't call the plethora of copypasted encounters of enemy spam everywhere well designed either. Any "difficulty" is just realizing you need to prebuff, use summons, etc. if you're not used to do it. Besides, NWN's strength was never its combat since it's all the worst parts of the previous bioware games from the retarded wait times from the round structure being put on a fixed timer at over 6 seconds per round and even jankier controls. Plus the maps are as empty as the emptiest module with nothing but copypasted encounter strewn about. The story is boringly generic which would be the only other reason to play the module.
>>
How does the pcr mod work exactly, do i have to switch back and forth from vanilla to it?
>>
File: cauldron.jpg (1.77 MB, 1600x1024)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
I want to make some modules starting with one that's just a town and a dungeon like in Diablo or the first Torchlight
Should I go with NWN or NWN 2 or some other game? What would be easier or produce better results?
I only have modding/mapping experience with Warcraft 3 a long time ago and some mission scripting from some other games.
>>
>>2927304
I don't think NWN2 even has a scene anymore, never hear about it on here unless it's about Mask of the Betrayer campaign
>>
>>2927310
https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/1147
Kinda
>>
>>2924136
Sell me on it. What is it?
>>
>>2927304
NWN1 is way easier in my experience, you could make a decently complex module with almost no scripting knowledge
If you want people to play it it might be worth picking up another game/engine that's more accessible, but I'm not sure if there's anything on the market quite like NWN's toolkit
>>
>>2927304
>I want to make some modules starting with one that's just a town and a dungeon like in Diablo or the first Torchlight
i want to remind everyone that there's a very very good Diablo remake in NWN 1, it's called Lord of Terror, play that shiiiiii
>>
File: 1669414360087752.gif (1.47 MB, 360x360)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB GIF
>>2927047
Aielund Saga
The Prophet series (I can easily recommend all Baldecaran's modules)
Swordflight

check more here https://neverwintervault.org/article/reference/neverwinter-nights-hall-fame
>>
>>2923788
>>2923912
it's not the devs fault that you've played the game 100 times at this point
>>2926643
Baldur's Gate cult. To them, the biggest flaw of NWN is that it's not BG3, so a boring slog on infinity engine 2.0 with a story written by some geek midwit.
To me, the main problem with NWN's OC is too many containers with basically nothing in them and too many annoying traps that just make you stop and go. Other than that it's great.
>>2926734
meanwhile BG
>go north
>go south
>go north
>go south
>repeat above 15 times
>go to the next area
holy hecking hell what a thrilling experience! golden age of rpgs baby!
>>
I tried installing PRC with the EXE and through steam workshop but neither allowed me to choose beyond default races and classes. Am I doing something wrong? I don't think my game is sensing that I installed it. Playing Enhanced Edition by the way.
>>
I have EE and it has been a lot of fun. Currently doing the Port Llast quests.
>>
I love this module
>>
>>2929171
name?
>>
>>2929176
That's Swordflight, chapter 2 I think.
>>
>>2929176
Swordflight, one of the best modules ever made. In my opinion it is superior to literally every RPG when it comes to roleplaying choices and attention to detail. Unfortunately there's a steady decline in roleplaying and increase in combat and arbitrary difficulty as soon as you first leave Calimport in chapter two.

After that it suffers from enemy stats being overbloated in order to keep the combat relevant, but it loses the luster of lower level struggle and starts becoming a chore where every trash mob group requires you to be buffed.
>>
>>2929050
IIRC the EE and the old version of the game use different Override folders for loading mod stuff, make sure it's installing to the correct one (one's in the game folder, one's in your documents folder). Additionally if it's trying to install to your game folder and that's in Program Files it may not be installing correctly.
>>
>>2929194
>After that it suffers from enemy stats being overbloated in order to keep the combat relevant, but it loses the luster of lower level struggle and starts becoming a chore where every trash mob group requires you to be buffed.
Swordflight was harsh from chapter 1. These few mini-quests you are doing at the start of the module were so-so, but the bandit camp was already pretty challenging, and the ruin gauntlet was nightmarish.
The future chapters are more bullshit, but at least at that point, you have more tools at your disposal.
>>
can someone enlighten me regarding the AI in nwn2.

I just want it to attack when my main character is in combat and also to not follow my main chracter when he is in stealth, so they don't fuck shit up
>>
>>2924530
swordflight is hell without devastating critical or playing a caster fully loaded with save or lose spells. Enemies are ungodly hp sponges and there are an absolute fuckload of them
>>
>>2926643
everything about it is wrong
The story and plot are nearly nonexistent and what does exist is garbage
The "party members" are a joke, you can only have one, you can't control them or even change their equipment and the AI is retarded
The encounters are absolutely terrible, some of the worst constructed ever, just shitloads of trash
>>
>>2929442
What modules have good encounters then? Anons saying OC has bad encounters but also Swordflight has randomly placed mobs?
>>
>>2929442
I don't get how
>the story and plot are non-existent and what does exist is garbage

You mean the campaign where Neverwinter is under the grip of a mysterious plague? The one where you spend the first chapter investigating and rooting out the source and the next few chapters hunting down the ancient lizard race trying to turn Faerun into a jurassic world again ? The game is pretty much ALL plot, there's loads of dialogue and environmental storytelling just like any other module I can think of.

So why is it this one's "garbage" when all the others are good enough to still recommend playing the game? I really don't see what the huge difference in quality is. I thought the OC had a pretty unique storyline as did all the others, I don't get it.
>>
To people that have never played NWN, disregard anyone who shits on OC but is praising Shadows of Undrentide. It is a bad and boring campaign, no worse than OC.
>>
>>2929601
A brain fart, I meant no better. Anyways, fuck SoU.
>>
>>2929593
>So why is it this one's "garbage" when all the others are good enough to still recommend playing the game? I really don't see what the huge difference in quality is.

It lacks soul. If you don't get it then you probably don't have one either
>>
>>2929593
execution matters more than premise. A low brow story told well is superior to a lofty story told poorly
>>
>>2930116
>A low brow story told well is superior to a lofty story told poorly
>Implying that SoU is the former
Did you forget you are exploring Netherese ruins and stopping some cunt from becoming a demigoddess? It isn't even well written either.
>>
>that one faggot desperately defending the OC
>>
>>2930140
I am not defending OC you moron, I am shitting on SoU. There is a difference you would never see because you are braindead enough to enjoy Undrentide slop. HotU is the only good official campaign.
>>
>>2930145
Hotu isn't good either
>>
>>2930175
it's actually really good
>>
>>2929975
>it lacks soul
then so does every old CRPG including the two expansions
>>
>>2930205
>then so does every old CRPG including the two expansions
Maybe you get it after all
>>
NWN has an insurmountable problem and it's all of the games dialogue being jammed in a shitty tiny 1 inch window in the upper right corner.
>>
>>2929194
>In my opinion it is superior to literally every RPG when it comes to roleplaying choices and attention to detail.

Holy fucking delusion
>>
>>2929975
Why do people use this buzzword when talking about the most mediocre uninspired games ever?
>>
>>2930231
>upper right corner
upper left you mean.
>>
>>2926790
I've beaten the OC three times. It is complete and utter shit.
>>
why the fuuuuuck didn't Bioware include party members in the OC. Half of the replayability from Baldurs gate was choosing different party members to adventure with. Travelling around with one shitty henchmen just isn't the same.
>>
When will the Swordflight guy sell out and make a Beamdog DLC
Hopefully they make him tone down the encounters and just make an oversized version of chapter 2
>>
>>2930846
He'd get more money adding porn and opening a Patreon
>>
>>2930233
Mention one RPG that does this better
>>
>>
File: 1670798137006.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>2931521
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
>>
>>2932343
Based Orc slayer
>>
>>2923777
Is it bad to skip SOU and go straight to HOTU?
>>
>>2932983
No, SoU is shit.
>>
>>2932983
It directly follows on from SoU with the same MC.
You won't miss all that much but it wouldn't be a bad idea to play through the OC and SoU first.
>>
>>2932983
Plus, SoU is your only opportunity to buy the wand recharger and get it back at the end of HotU chapter 1. Recharging the rod of resurrection rules.
>>
>>2923904
/thread
>>
Imagine assailing heaven and the best defence they put up is knocked over tables.
>>
>>2923822
>most popular mod is where you're forced to play a girl and get raped/prostituted
DnD fags were always trannies
>>
>>2933507
It's was made a really long time ago by an actual girl

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.