[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm only 20% through this game, but I think you should play it.
The writing is good with serious elements and good humor. The music and sound effects are cool and very nostalgic. The battle animations are great, and have a few surprises. The turn based battles require some thought, and there is a magic system similar to FF7 but more entertaining.

There's also 108 potential characters to recruit.

Play Suikoden II
>>
>>2859596
i did
it's good of the mainline games IV is my least favorite
>>
>>2859596
I think you need to finish it before you form an opinion.
>>
Should I play Suikoden 1 first
>>
>>2859596
>but I think you should play it.
anon, we already have years ago. you are the one late to the party.
>>
>>2859596
we all played this 20 years ago.
>>
>>2859664
I don't particularly recommend it. I played with Suikoden 3, 4, and 5 as they came out. Heard great things about 2 and decided to emulate it... but decided I should play 1 first. It wasn't bad... but it was mediocre enough that I didn't finish it, and it unfortunately sapped my interest in the series. So I never ended up getting around to Suikoden 2, despite it being the most celebrated in the series. Maybe one day.
>>
>>2859664
Honestly, I'd play it after 2, but only if you want more of the world. There is a lot of continuity between the two, but they feel like sufficiently separate stories that it's possible to play 2 without feeling lost. The translation is kind of crappy, so that is going to be your biggest hurdle.
>>
>>2859827
>The translation is kind of crappy,

Which translation is crappy?
Suikoden I or II?
>>
>>2859857
Both, but I is about on-par with the era. II is worse, especially around the middle of the game in my recollection. It's made worse by the really inconsistent font.
>>
I despise jrpgs.
>>
>>2859893
Fascinating.
>>
>>2859893
You're a well-adjusted individual.
>>
>>2859596
Suikoden II must be the coolest JRPG.

I just abandoned it at some point, i had a shit ton of characters and stuff and it got too much.
>>
File: 1668698340165503.jpg (56 KB, 627x627)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2859893

I fucking hate the pedo artstyle and all the "sassy" female characters. Absolute nigger shit. Suikoden looks decent, that's why i played it in the first place.
>>
And no one said it, but if you're emulating it, you should probably get the European version.
The NA localization introduced a shit ton of bugs in the game, some very noticeable, such as missing music and some characters joining you at level 99.
>>
>>2859596
I didn't like 2
>>
>>2859596
I got filtered after some point where i had to go to a mountain and fight a boss i didnt know where to go after that
>>
>>2860637
I never thought about the pal version. I'm going to give that a dl tonight and see what improvements there are
>>
>>2859596
Why is he called the Neck Lord
>>
>>2859596
Already played it
Several times
Its a gem of a game
Reminder that you CAN save your little sis
>>
I never played S2, but 5 was great because of Boyaleeds
>>
>>2860706
Because he vants to bite your nec.
>>
>true runes are an important part of the plot
>shit translator mixed shin (true) with shin (god) in the godspeed rune on Stallion
Aren't they remaking suikoden 2? A decent translation would go a long way.
>>
>Luca is great because
>Huh he is, okay?
Overrated really
>>
>>2860769
You!!!! You dare talk down to me??? Do you know who you are... a pig!!!!!
DIE!!!! PIG!!!!!!
>>
>>2860741
Oh my GOD this is info I did not know
>>
>>2859596
S2 has technically better visuals and inventory management, but the story of the first game is still king. Tension and consequences packed into a 20 hour long game, vs S2 where you play a four hour long game and only one guy dies.
>>
File: 62424.png (1.05 MB, 986x618)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
If you weren't aware, there's going to be a rerelease next year.
The new graphics look quite ugly in the screenshots and videos but you can just turn the original ones on.
>>
>>2859602
>He needs to finish something to "form" an opinion
What kind of mega cuck logic is this? You never stopped watching a movie because you fucking hated it? Too afraid of being judged by your peers so you forced yourself to sit through the whole thing to ensure your opinion is "valid"? LMFAO
>>
>>2860769
>>Luca is great because
>>Huh he is, okay?
Yeah he is, tranny. A villain that embodies all the classical heroic traits of antiquity such as brute strength, skill, pride, wrath, honor, determination, and bravery. He's one of the most Homeric villains I've ever seen in fiction, and that's kino.
>>
>>2860852
What? I thought Suikoden I was the shorter game.
>>
>>2859664
1 is very short and well-paced, I think it's worth checking out first. Unfortunately, if you want to recruit every character you pretty much have to consult a guide.
>>
>>2860401
Suikoden 2 specifically looks fucking. I think it's the big character sprites and so many seemingly unique animations that were used once in the entire game.
>>
>>2860887
s2 is getting some MAJOR visual overhauls. at least based on what they've shown off so far.
>>
>>2861053
>>
>>2861053
Sprites look unchanged, so it's just backgrounds? I wish those pictures were in the same resolution
>>
>>2860637
There's a patch out there that fixes all of the bugs.
>>
>>2859596
No shit it’s a good game. Copies sold reliably for 200-250 dollars on eBay and Amazon ever since 2010. That doesn’t happen for bad rpgs. Suikoden II was the most valuable rpg apart from maybe the Earthbound with packaging and guide in tact.
>>
>>2860887
What the FUCK was Konami’s problem not allowing this IP license outside of pachinko machines for 14 years?
>>
>>2861068
>minimap for a 2d game
>>
>>2859741
Based boomer
>>
>>2861362
I don't think that's accurate as the layout doesn't correspond to that actual location.
>>
kind of like a tacky RPGmaker game, I don't hate the look oddly enough
>>
>>2859827
Nah, translation is just fine. Even the crazy punctuation is true to the Japanese script.
>>
File: alpxy7tofjo91.jpg (189 KB, 640x980)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>2863098
It's just so clashing the way they touched up backgrounds but left sprites entirely intact. This difference is going to be even more obvious in S2 which they REALLY put in effort when it came to backgrounds.
>>
>>2863115
oddly enough this looks great while >>2863098 looks awful

unironically just lowering the resolution of the backgrounds would help
>>
>>2859596
Better off waiting for the remaster next year.
Hopefully they also fix the shoddy translation.
>>
>>2859596
>The writing is good
Lol. They brought back Neclord after he died "for real" in the first game and the best ending is literally "see? he's good again because he's sorry".
>>
>>2863144
It's because the first game was essentially a smaller scale and budget test run for what the team wanted before Konami was convinced they could do it. Hence why elements were re-used with narrative asspulls at times.
>>
>>2863157
>renamed to celestial sword in the hd version
shame
>>
>>2863098
That looks disgusting. Why wouldn't they remake the character sprites from 0 too in order to make them fit with the rest of the art?
>>
>>2861053
>ugly ass bloom
>>
>>2859664
If you clear Suikoden 1 first you can recruit the MC and get a sidequest in 2. The fact he comes with a slew of instant death spells makes him worth it.
>>
>>2863164
His name literally means "Constellation Sword", Celestial is an acceptable interpretation of it. Star Dragon Sword is what you get from reading the kanji individually.

>>2863954
Because there's over 100 characters, dozens of which have battle sprites with several frames of animation, and there is no easy way to do that without spending large amounts of time and effort far beyond what would be granted to a port of an old game.
>>
File: 1669482379046626.webm (355 KB, 220x286)
355 KB
355 KB WEBM
I'm waiting until I get good enough in Japanese that I don't have to deal with localized stuff anymore.
>>
>>2864190
Yes, but that sounds so run of the mill.
>>
>>2859602
Shut the fuck up Solon.
>>
I'm so fucking happy that suikoden 1 and 2 are getting remasters(which to be honest seem more remake tier)
>>
Behold: My wife(post game since I don't wanna get fucking assassinated)
>>
File: S5_Luserina_Barows (1).png (2.35 MB, 1650x2388)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB PNG
>>2864443
Forgot image
>>
>>2859596
i didn't play it and it could be that your thread saved me from a 3 months old nogames phase
i'll try, hope it's not very difficult
>>
>>2864745
>i'll try, hope it's not very difficult
It's not. In fact, it's quite easy barring some bosses which you've prepared heard about and now you're mentally prepared for. Suikoden series never pretended to balanced or anything, and with ~70 combat characters you can really decide how OP you want your group to be.
>>
>>2859596
I haven't played it, but I will now.
>>
>>2859596
I played 2 but I had a magazine that detailed how to get all of the allies. It was fun but I had more fun with the war combat and the iron chef tournament more.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.