[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sorcery.jpg (448 KB, 1728x1080)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
What are the best choose your own adventures?
I feel like the scratch the rpg itch without boring strategy game mechanics
>>
the fighting fantasy ports are okay I guess but they are designed for phones
>>
>>2859174
You already posted the best one.
>>
I really liked "Legionary Life" and "Life and Suffering of Sir Brante"
>>
>>2859174
If you liked the Sorcery! series then look for "Fighting Fantasy Classics" on steam. It's basically the same idea except you don't get the map like Sorcery! has. It's just playing through the books without having to flip the pages and the game keeps track of the fights for you
>>
Depression Quest
>>
>>2859174
Sabres and guns of infinity are, in my opinion, the best choice of games so give them a try if want to experience napoleonic(ish) era war kino
>>
>>2859502
They're pretty good, but "I, the Forgotten One" is going to be the best Choicescript game of all time.
>>
>>2859502
Lords are going to be even better, trust me. I've read it fully before it was taken down. I hope Wars are going to be at least as good as the previous installments.
>>
>>2860194
I've played the leaked beta. It was pretty good but I still prefer the infinity games
>>
>>2860224
I've played some of the beta too and had a fun time Royalist is the based side to take, but it's not the same without being able to import your character from previous games so I'm looking forward to it's actual release
>>
>>2859484
Patricians choice.
Based.
>>
>>2860330
>but it's not the same without being able to import your character from previous games
It was possible to open the console and type out commands to tweak your character to your exact specifics.
>>
>>2859502
Why are these games so fucking autistic about not letting you rewind? It's annoying.
>>
>>2859502
>Sabres and guns of infinity
I've been interested in these for a while, is there any particular reason to play on Steam or the CoG site over the other?
>>
>>2859502
Choice of games makes games for faggots, they don't even fuckin hide it yk? It's literally on the fuckin website.
>>
>>2859174
That first sentence bothers me a lot for some reason.
>>
>>2860547
There are many different authors under that umbrella. I agree though that many of them are huge faggots and hacks but some games are worth playing.
>>
>>2860476
Not really, choose whatever you prefer
>>
>>2860433
If you're playing on a browser you can use tampermonkey to use the save function dashingdon has, I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere. It's not a rewind feature but it's close enough
>>
>>2859484
I already have that in real life.
Haha...
>>
>>2860568
>>2860547
Yeah, it entirely depends on the author, some are worse than others.
>>
If we're shilling Choice of Games games from authors that aren't Terrible, I quite liked Choice of Magics and the VTM Parliament of Knives. I've heard Night Road is good but I haven't tried it beyond the demo
>>
>>2859502
this.objectively the best games out of the CoG category. dont be like >>2860547 and let gay people live rent free in your head, infiniverse series and tin star are the best CYOAs out there
>>
>>2860739
Great taste, tin star is absolutely worth playing too
>>
For me it's Sixth Grade Detective
A bit short but comfy
>>
>>2859502
Based.
>>
>>2859484
don't post fat libtards
>>
>>2860547
Yea I prefer more pre determined characters,
instead of YOU CAN BE GAY OR NONBINARY!!!!!
>>
>>2859502
We should do a Tier List of those games because I found Sword of Rhivenia and Wayhaven Chronicles pretty decent
>>
>>2860322
leak doko
>>
>>2860547
This is objectively correct but there is still worthwhile stuff there. Golden Rose was one from this year that had a really neat alt hist Post-Roman setting.
>>
>>2860547
all of these games are. that is a moot point.
>>
>>2860194
That author has a new WIP up too. Its a conspiracy action thriller with eldritch horror elements. Nowhere near done but quite fun.
>>
if you guys want some lighthearted capeshit you can try reading A Tale of Heroes. bit barebones mechanics wise, but the story is nice and the heroines canonically have fat asses so it balances out.

link: https://dashingdon.com/play/juan/a-tale-of-heroes/mygame/
>>
Choice of Games Tier List
>Tier S
-Sabres of Infinity (War Crimes Kino)
-Guns of Infinity
-Wayhaven Chronicles Book Two
-Highlands Deep Water
>Tier A
-The Golden Rose (Uchronia kino)
-Keeper of Day and Night
-Wayhaven Chronicles Book One
-The Sword of Rhivenia
>Tier B
-Sordwin The Evertree Saga
-Sixth Grade Detective
>Tier C
-Evertree Inn
-A Mage Reborn
-Lux City of Secrets
-The Keep of the Sun and Moon
>Tier D
-Unnatural
-Breach: The Archangel Job
>>
>>2865447
Anyone interested in these types of cyoas should also look into Arcadie Second Born, which was originally a CoG release but after a dispute over royalties is now a standalone out in Steam in the 8th next month.

It's pretty good.
>>
>>2865449
Arcadie is very good the only thing I didn't like is that I usually play as the Warmonger but that would be counterproductive since Ariane is already a Warmonger so is best being pragmatic pacifist to act as her foil.
>>
>>2865488
lol lmao

She fucking dies. I actually had my diplomat go kill crazy after it happens. I am going to shove Stan's head up his own ass. This is viewable on the updated twine demo.
>>
I can't bring myself to pay for CYOA, even as a kid I just borrowed the books from the library.
>>
>>2865553
Eh, I cant sweat five bucks or so considering how much I spend on gas these days. I usually get more out of some of these than a lot of 30-60 dollar game releases anyway.
>>
>>2865447
>the boring twilight knockoff in tiers A and S

unfathomably shit taste
>>
>>2865585
He probably enjoys being utterly helpless in combat and all romances moving at the pace of a snail because the hambeast writing that shit has probably never touched a man in her life.
>>
>>2865449
Is there a demo? Generally, I like fantasy theme but I've some fantasy CYOA bore me.
>>
File: 1667318026430.jpg (139 KB, 800x600)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2859174
Thief & Sword is pretty good.
>>
>>2864012
Here's a thread about a bunch of leaked stuff, it included, enjoy
https://www.choiceofmods.com/threads/section-for-leaked-unmodded-stuff-like-wips-and-side-stories.181/
>>
>>2865756
https://arcadie-utopie.itch.io/asb-free
>>
>>2865447
Add the wayhaven games to F tier and it's a pretty ok list
Other games I enjoyed are mecha ace (same guy that does the infinity series ) and fallen hero, tin star too but that one has already been mentioned
>>
>>2865778
Heroes of legend doesn't get enough love imo. Coming back from being a fraud is a killer arc and the characters all stuck with me,
>>
>>2865781
Heroes of myth FUCK
>>
>>2865781
>>2865783
I remember playing the demo and liking it. Not really sure why I never played the full game but I'll try it out
Thanks for the reccomendation
>>
>>2865777
Much appreciated.
>>2865447
>Tier S
Lost Heir trilogy
>Tier A
The Great Tournament
Life of a Wizard
Life of a Space Force Captain
>Tier B
The Last Wizard
The Great Tournament 2
>>
>>2865447
A neat list, even if Wayhaven being that high is, uhhh, interesting. I guess being able to genderswap a Twilight otome game does have some kind of appeal.
Some possible additions to consider:
>Choice of Robots and Choice of Magics
B tier. The writing isn't exactly something to write home about, but both are very big and have some really major branching.
>Samurai of Hyuuga series
C tier. Has something going for it, but is painfuly linear and gets worse further in the series.
>Fallen Hero Rebirth
B-A tier. A bit restrictive and the /r9k/-tier protag isn't for everyone, but otherwise an interesting capeshit take with great character writing. Probably B tier as a standalone, but A as a set up for Retribution and beyond.
>Choice of Rebels Uprising
A tier. The whole management segment is rather divisive (wtf gameplay in my text game???), but it has an interesting setting and a LOT of meaningful choices. Also gets dragged down a lot by being a first and only game in a planned long series which is probably never ever.
>Tally Ho and Jolly Good
A really personal prick so ymmv. A and S tier. Really fun 1930s slice-of-life games, very big, lots of branching, nice comedy, interesting characters and written by someone who actually studies literature professionaly.
>>
>>2859502
There's not nearly enough napoleonic era vidya.
>>
>>2866049
Sadly, I agree, especially since it's not just games but the rest of media too
It's such a shame since I find it to be one of the most interesting times in history
>>
>>2865585
>>2865778
>>2865805
No that anon but actualization:
>Tier S
-Sabres of Infinity (War Crimes Kino)
-Guns of Infinity
-Highlands Deep Water
-Lost Heir trilogy
>Tier A
-Choice of Rebels Uprising
-The Golden Rose (Uchronia kino)
-Keeper of Day and Night
-The Sword of Rhivenia
-The Great Tournament
-Fallen Hero Rebirth
-Life of a Wizard
-Life of a Space Force Captain
>Tier B
-Sordwin The Evertree Saga
-Sixth Grade Detective
-The Last Wizard
-The Great Tournament 2
-Choice of Robots
-Choice of Magics
>Tier C
-Evertree Inn
-Samurai of Hyuuga
-A Mage Reborn
-Lux City of Secrets
-The Keep of the Sun and Moon
>Tier D
-Unnatural
-Breach: The Archangel Job
>Tier F
-Wayhaven Chronicles Book Two
-Hero Rise: Trilogy
-Wayhaven Chronicles Book one
>>
>>2866289
I don't remember what that vampire one that seemed like a rip-off of Interview with a Vampire was called (was it just "choice of a vampire"?), but I'd put it in B tier alongside to Robots. Probably the same for Choice of a Dragon and Choice of a Broadside (the navy one).
>>
>>2865546
that seems interesting
is it acknowledged by the game/other characters that the event caused you to go 180 from diplomatic to blood and iron? if not, thats disappointing

>>2865775
this is the shit bro, thanks
>>
>>2865546
She can eat shit tho, she threaten me with fucking kill me just because I want revenge but I don't want a Full-Scale War right after a Civil War and even she too blind to see that the Traitor gather support because one reason people don't like constant warmongering because is bad for business or overall quality of life
>>
>>2866649
There's only half a chapter after said event happens in the demo, so I can't fully say. There are early indications that Cyril at least thinks I've lost my damned mind which will be interesting as I'd been sleeping with her for weeks.
>>
It's easy to use Twine? Making a CYOA it seems like fun hobby
>>
>>2860194
>I, the Forgotten One
Any news? Release date when? It looks like the author can't into marketing because all the info I can find is pretty old. Which is a shame, the demo is pure kino.
>>
If you're talking about actual (or virtual) gamebooks, the Lone Wolf series has been incredibly popular and long-running for a reason.

https://projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

If you're talking about video game adaptations that still have the CYOA feel, then... how about Joe Dever's Lone Wolf? :) Written by the late great author of the book series, and styled like one of the books (Chronologically, set between books 3 and 4).
Fair warning, the turn-based combat system is harsh starting out, but when you get used to managing your initiative and locking down the enemies, it's not bad.
>>
>>2867771
It's "Submitted for publication" on the Hosted label. You'll see it sometime next year.
>>
>>2867834
Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1669291761402132.jpg (65 KB, 450x488)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>2859502
>At least half a year until Lords of Infinity
>4-6 years until Wars of Infinity
>Wars will suffer from having to follow from either of vastly different paths both of which will juggle decisions from 3 prior games
>>
>>2868246
If you think about it, during the dev time for the Infinity series, you could have had an actual complete career in a Napoleonic military.
>>
>>2868246
>Wars will suffer from having to follow from either of vastly different paths both of which will juggle decisions from 3 prior games
Probably not as much as you think. IIRC it'll be like Lords with the first half being two routes with their own chapters that converge in the second half. It was originally planned to be entire two different games, but the dev said that he found a way teep the scope more reasonable. Altough there's still a lot of room for scope creep if we look at how the Lords wordcount got out of hand when compared to the first two games. But hey, at least it won't be like Choice of Rebels, right?
>>
>>2868246
>>Wars will suffer from having to follow from either of vastly different paths both of which will juggle decisions from 3 prior games
I am not so sure about that. There might be ways to conclude the Wulframites vs Royalists early, for example by making Takara invade Tierra after it becomes clear they were the ones that killed the king and Wulfram's family, so both sides agree to reconcile to fight the bigger enemy. I wouldn't even be mad about losing out on a title as long as I was properly compensated for that. Hard cash would suffice.
>>
>>2866289
>Lost Heir Trilogy
>S Tier
This validates your entire list.
>>
>>2868514
If you really like STAT CHECK hell it's probably up there.
>>
>>2868514
>t. doesn't know how to build a character
Get good.
>>
>>2868531
>roleplay
>get fucked because I didn't pick the optimal choices
>>
>>2868536
There is a clear mechanic you are meant to try and understand. Besides, you are playing as a prince on the run, hoping to get strong enough to avenge your family and regain your kingdom. You are meant to be effective.
What else will you complain about? That you shouldn't have to make smart decisions in Choice of Rebels because it's only play pretend and the author will be a hack if he includes an avoidable bad ending?
Lost Heir isn't even that hard, the only bullshit thing in the game is the tournament in part 3 which you can lose without any repercussion. I made a top-tier character on my second run of part 1 (so not even the whole trilogy) and didn't even know people had problems with the game.
Because of your crying hamplanets can write shitty combat which either always screws you over or never lets you fail.
>>
>>2868545
My only issue is you basically need a guide for some of the really cool late game jobs
>>
>>2868531
I was saying the series is good, retard. CoG makes a lot of trash, but the Lost Heir trilogy is so good it redeems the entire CoG platform.

>tons of starting classes with unique builds: magic wielding knight? why not! stealth monk? sure! archer priest? completely viable!
>multiple different adventure paths
>good, evil, neutral options
>multiple romances
>can be a vampire lord, dragon rider, paladin, demon summoner and a dozen other paths
>>
>>2868737
>I was saying the series is good, retard.
Fuck me, I would have sworn you wrote "invalidate." I guess I am retarded, sorry for acting like a fag.
>>
>>2868387
I do not see Takara invading until Masters of Infinity simply because of how many different variables would be coming through in regards tierran army by the end of Lords. Takara is an industrial superpower NotAmerica of magic using elves (only matched by NotChina being equally as strong), with an actual organized standing army that is both more numerous and technologically advanced.
Tierra on the other hand is an impoverished state in middle of a civil war, with the wealthiest part of the country in open rebellion, with an army comprised of levied militias and remnants of half strength infantry and light cavalry, with a military tradition that may fail to be reformed if you fuck it up or choose to hang out home and still stuck with basic flintlock weapons if you don't help figure out how to make breechloaders in Guns and help push them through reforms.
Takara invading is an automatic game over scenario.
>>
>>2869411
And this goes without mentioning that Lords can end with Royalist forces almost fully destoyed, Wulframite forces reduced to 1/4th, opposite being true for both factions and anything inbetween
>>
>>2869411
Who said anything about taking out Takara by ourselves? In fact, they wouldn't even use their full power because they don't see Tierra as an equal, and if they did, Kian would intervene, either by helping Tierra directly or by launching an opportunistic offensive on Takara. I'm not even making stuff up, most of what I post about can be said by your character if your stats are high enough. Moreover, Guerring will complete his version of a rifle even if you don't invest, and that lowers the importance of drilling your troops the way Takarans do. Then they will be at disadvantage because of their low numbers.
>>
>>2869543
>Kian would intervene
I wouldn't really bet on that for now. While Leannejouwe is very pro-Tierra, the Tierra-Kian pact is his personal pet project on which his entire carreer is depending. The Kian goverment itself is much more ambivalent and very unlikely to go to war over Tierra, as they probably won't confrim that whole treaty until Leannejouwe gets something something substantial, like Royalists winning.
>>
>>2869564
Kian hates Takara and if they invaded Tierra, Kian would have perfect casus belli to invade them in turn. It is not about saving Tierra for the goodness of their hearts, it's about using the perfect opportunity to fuck over their long-time enemy. Besides, neither of these countries is a friend to Tierra, it's all about real politics. Tierra has the unfortunate position where they are the buffer state of every great power and that is why neither Takara nor Kian can allow it to fall into the sphere of influence of their enemy.
>>
>>2869566
The thing is, there isn't all that much reason right now for Kian to risk intervening in Tierra currently. While Leannejouwe claims that Tierra and the Northern Kingdoms in general are crucial for Takara-Kian struggle, it isn't exactly the dominating view at the Court. The focus at the moment is at Mhidyossi, where the Kian-backed faction seems poised to win.Giving up Tierra probably doesn't seem like that much of a loss to Kian, as they aren't particularly commited there.
>>
>>2859174
is there any good noir/detective interactive fiction?
>>
>>2869769
Pic related is pretty solid. Noir cyberpunk interactive fiction.
>>
bump
>>
https://chooseyourstory.com/

That site also has a few great ones, though with less RPG mechanics than most. Eternal is my favorite. One of the routes made me cry.
>>
>>2872116
Necromancer is pretty good too
>>
>>2872116
>>2872120
figured the chudland of CYOAs would be popular with someone here but I dont see the appeal. theyre all dogshit stories
>>
File: 497ba77020980927_1920xH.jpg (855 KB, 1920x1080)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
>>2859174
Life and Suffering of Ser Brante is good
>>
bump
good thread
my personal Choice of Games recs:

Choice of Magics
Choice of Robots
Life of a Wizard
SLAMMED
Tin Star
Vampire the Masquerade - Night Road

Zombie Exodus Safe Haven - series isn't finished but i'm enjoying it so far.

Vampire the Masquerade - Parliament of Knives - enjoying it, haven't finished it.
>>
>Sabres of Infinity
I'm having fun so far but I've never played a game like this before and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with my stats. Should I try and smooth out the areas I'm bad in, or should I just go all-in on one?
Is it the type of game you replay with different characters to see different content from different choices, or is it the type of game where you replay it gradually improving your character build until you get the most content on one path?
>>
>>2873785
>Is it the type of game you replay with different characters to see different content from different choices, or is it the type of game where you replay it gradually improving your character build until you get the most content on one path?
Whichever floats your boat but for the first, or first few playthroughs, go in blind without stat autism. That leave for one of the future, you might even use a guide or dive into code to check how choices reward or punish you, or why have you lost some stat check in one of the first times you played.
There is a certain build that is all-rounded yet keeps all your stats high but you probably won't get it on your own, and you shouldn't try. That build allows for passing most of the checks in the game.
I will only give you one piece of advice, don't splurge too much. Your family is deeply in debt and they hope you will bust them out or at least delay the problem long enough that future generations will have to deal with it. It is technically possible to wipe your whole debt during Sabres and Guns but I don't think many players go for that route.
>>
>>2873794
Alright, thanks anon. I've never played something with a stat system like this before, I didn't want to get into a situation where I get four chapters in and suddenly can't do anything because my fellow officers don't like me enough or something. Unless that's fun, of course.
>I will only give you one piece of advice, don't splurge too much.
Thanks, I've been trying to pay attention to the backstory and figured that was important. I'll try not to become a complete dissolute. One last question - do the items you can choose as a gift do anything special, or are they just stat boosts?
>>
>>2873838
They are stat boosts but once or twice having these on you can allow you to pass a specific stat check that you would have failed otherwise. Your better horse (so not one that was requisitioned) can also do that at some point.
Of all the items you can get, runegun is the best because it has more checks than the other but it's not an item that you get from your family but one that you have to loot.
>>
>>2873848
Neat, that's a cool way of implementing it. I picked the sword because I'm all about killing things and I was hoping it would let me kill things even harder, from what I understand it's magic or something? I'm not really clear on the Bane yet.
>spoiler
Nice. I'll keep an eye out for it. I have the shitty horse because I nicked a good sergeant instead since I didn't want that other prodigy guy to grab him instead. Cavalry horses die all the time, so it will be fine, right?
>>
>>2873879
>I'm not really clear on the Bane yet.
It is magic that is very difficult in casting, and only a few banebloods are even capable of that. And then casting costs you your life force. You are not a banecaster but as a baneblood, you can sense it.
>I picked the sword because I'm all about killing things
A reasonable choice but I judge it as the third best.
>I took Lanzerel
He is great, especially for your first playthrough but after several runs, I favor Fenton the most, with Lanzerel being second.
>Horses die
Again, a reasonable statement. Depending on your stats and decisions, you can lose horses left and right but it is not especially difficult to keep your first mount alive through Sabres, Guns and Lords. My old Thunderer is still alive and kicking.
>>
here's an optimal guide to both games:

sabres of infinity: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804075830

guns of infinity: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581123535

you can make some slight changes to it and still get the same results (did not like being from aetoria cuz Im not a homosexual, so I chose to be from the salt coast and entered the army at age 25, got same results)
>>
>>2874004
Really nice guides in general, but I wouldn't exactly call them optimal if you plan for Lords desu. Some suboptimal choices, like training your lieutenant or having extremely high charisma, turn out to have very significant payoffs in Lords. Cataphrak is very insistent on making min-maxing borderline impossible in the long run.
>>
>>2874004
>here's an optimal guide to both games
Far from it. If you min max, you can do better.
>so I chose to be from the salt coast and entered the army at age 25, got same results
Not the same results, to get the best options in Lords you need more charisma and intellect.
Also, Salt Coast is the worst starting position for Sabres, Guns and Lords. It may have some payoff in Wars but that's to be seen.
>>
>>2874020
>Also, Salt Coast is the worst starting position for Sabres, Guns and Lords

it has soul and thats what matters
>>
>>2874103
>it has soul
And nothing else. Look, you can roleplay as a hick from bumfuck nowhere and have fun but arguing for it and posting a mediocre min-max guide in the same sentence seems schizophrenic.
>>
I don't understand the love for heart of ice
Yes the setting and the worldbuilding is impressive. But there are only 3 real endings and all of them are unsatisfactory. Many of the skills you can pick from, like cybernetics and roguery are bricks.
>>
>>2865447
The only one of these I played was a wrestling one that I remember literally nothing from
>>
>>2873742
Eat shit. The Eternal Emperor story in Eternal is great. Recently got an epilogue too.
>>
Just finished The Eagle's Heir (alt-his where Napoleon won and you have to help his illegitimate son succeed him).
It's pretty good even though the stat mechanic is a bit shitty. You should play it if you're a Napoleonboo
>>
is there a comfy cyoa that makes you feel less lonely? not really into millitary stuff, just wanna vibe with magic idk

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.