[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: sf.jpg (349 KB, 1920x1080)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
Is this the worst cast of playable characters in any RPG?
>>
>>2785691
No, they suck but they're more tolerable than BG3.
>>
>>2785693
ok let me amend and say worst in jrpg. obviously its still lightyears ahead of anything in wrpgs
>>
File: BG31.jpg (137 KB, 1920x1080)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
sorry accidentally posted the wrong picture
>>
>>2785694
I'd say WRPGs from around the time FFIX came out had better characters. The Baldur's Gate 2 cast could be obnoxious at times but I definitely like characters like Keldorn and Irenicus more than Steiner and Kuja.
>>
File: shit.jpg (138 KB, 902x413)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Not while these shitbirds exist.
>>
i never played baldurs gate games, why are the members in 3 considered bad?
>>
>>2785699
post frog
>>
>>2785691
Hell no. At least in terms of writing, FF9's cast is one of the better final fantasies, I'd say.
In terms of gameplay, I would say they're nothing special.
>>
>>2785691
The main 4 are good. The other 4 kinda suck though.
>>
>>2785699
ugly, cunty, faggy and just generally annoying. Males are all weak, females are all stronk. They all come off like implausibly snowflake donut steels instead of real characters.
Basically all the obnoxious modern western problems with character design.
>>
>>2785705
Zidane and Quina are the only ones who don't experience severe or even traumatic loss before or during the game...but Zidane was an orphan raised by violent hooligans and Quina is an eldritch, probably cannibalistic bogan from the Gaian equivalent of Okinawa. I'd say that counts.
>>
>>2785705
Amarant, Quina, Eiko, and Freya have absolutely no character or personality and are designed like a 5 year old with downs syndrome designed them.

The best is Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, and Vivi, but even then they are very one note and Zidane/Garnet designs are very meh
>>
>>2785707
I'd prefer Steiner'd had been a little bit more common sense early in the story. I get his character arc but it could have been done with a more subtlety and fewer childish tantrums over things he obviously couldn't do anything about in the moment.
>>
>>2785693
Those aren't the characters from BG3? The Baldur's Gate party members were most a bunch of edgy evil faggots
>>
>>2785719
he didnt even really have an arc. he still just wanted to protect garnet from the start of the game until the end.
>>
>>2785691
It has Eiko so it's good
>>
>>2785762
a horrible character, a prime example of why ff9 has poor characters
>>
File: xg-idx.jpg (511 KB, 700x1000)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>2785724
>Those aren't the characters from BG3?
Did you mean to use a period? Or did you just forget to take the dildo out of your ass before posting?
>The Baldur's Gate party members were most a bunch of edgy evil faggots
BG1 has a very large cast of characters with a wide range of personalities. If your party was full of evils that was your choice. In fact Minsc was actually funny at the time because he was an anti-edgelord at a time when edgelords were all the rage. And numales hadn't come of age yet so Minsc's silly "butt-kicking for goodness" attitude hadn't been overdone to death. Meanwhile plenty of other characters were low-key, like Kivan. Imoen is upbeat and cheerful. Garrick is optimistic also. Coran is a fairly generic flirtatious rogue. Yeslick is a standard-issue Dwarf. Branwen is thankful that you saved her. Ajantis is righteous and a little naive.
There are still characters with extreme personalities, like the contrast between Khalid and Jaheira, but the cast has plenty of reasonably interesting characters that don't feel try-hard and over-designed.

As a side note, I think FF7 is interesting in that it's tone, atmosphere, and even its initial presentation of Cloud gives off the late 90s edgy feel, but by the very end Cloud is still a traditional optimistic and good-hearted JRPG protagonist. FF9 goes the other direction where the cast is so whimsical it becomes difficult to take any of them seriously.
>>
>>2785713
I could not disagree more.
>>
>>2785691
FF7-10 are all pretty bad lineups. But I wouldn't put them below a game with only 3 to 4 default party members.
>>
>>2785788
pretty sure that was the intent
>>
>>2785769
Why do you think a post talking about BG3 has anything to do about BG1, you retard.
>>
>>2785828
Because he said Baldur's Gate not BG3.
>>
>>2785699
Baldur's Gate 2 has the greatest story in any video game
>>
>>2785837
It's OK.
>>
>>2785697
these are NES tier bland, at least the NES characters never wasted my time with cutscenes where they pretend like they matter
>>
XIII had the absolutely worst cast. Literally every cool character was an NPC

XII close behind with the same problem, all the best characters were outside the party
>>
>>2785850
I mean, Basch is still a chad, and Penelo can get it, but I'd trade the rest of them to the Empire for Skrillex tickets.

for real i want to peel penelo out of that clothes thing she's wearing. Looks complicated.
>>
>>2785866
>>2785854
>5/6 characters are Humans despite the setting having like 10 different sentient races all integrated into society
>>
>>2785876
>this does not bother me because I'm not a goddamn furry
>fran is nevertheless my 3rd least hated character
>>
File: FF 9 Demake.png (45 KB, 1152x648)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>2785691
>>2785713
>>2785719
FF9 has the best main characters and the worst side characters. But guess what? Side characters don't matter.

Do you guys bitch about Umaro and gogo in FF6? Or the fact that in 1-3 people are basically blank slates? No? Then who cares if a side character like Amarant adds nothing to the game. He's just umaro, i just ignore him and never use him.

Cait Sith is fucking trash and about equally as dumb as Quina, but nobody ever blabbers on about him.

In FF8, half of the cast has no development. Selfie never does anything and Irving or whatever has like 1 moment. It's the Squall and Rinoa show but the half way point.

Yuffie is fucking dumb and only gets 1 arc. She's no different than Freya desu.

But if you just stick to the actual main characters: Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Steinert, they are the best main cast in the series. I'll only accept X as having a more developed main cast.
>>
>>2785883
>>2785876
Should have gotten a bangaa character just because they're fucking cool. Ridiculous that you didn't.
>>
>>2785886
dumb as rocks tho. a seeq joke character would be pretty based
>>
>>2785889
Well he would have been the brute of the party. Seeq look kind of stupid. Gria weren't created yet because TA2 came out after.
>>
>>2785719
His entire purpose at the beginning is to be comic relief.
>>
>>2785933
>tactics advance
>2
you lost me
>>
>>2785884
>who cares if a side character like Amarant adds nothing to the game.
His plot sequences intrude on the story. They all do. Zidane's real (and frankly, brief) storyline doesn't even properly start until Garland shows up on disk fucking 3.
>Do you guys bitch about Umaro and gogo in FF6?
FF6 has 14 characters. The bulk of the story is carried by a strong core of adult, non-freakazoid main characters (Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan). So the more out-there characters like Gau, Mog, and Relm just add flavor. Gogo and Umaro are literally 100% optional and don't even have any real cutscenes or story.
>>
zidane is a butt-ugly martian
>>
>>2785884
>Cait Sith is fucking trash and about equally as dumb as Quina, but nobody ever blabbers on about him.
Only in appearance, and many people didn't like Cait Sith.
Narratively, Cait Sith has a far more important role in the story than Quina given that he's actually a Shinra executive (Reeve). He plays a critical role in the plot on several occasions and plays a meaningful role in Barret's storyline by confronting him about Avalanche's bombing of the Mako Reactor in Midgar. As a sympathetic Shinra executive he is in a uniquely appropriate position to do this.
Quina is just there for some kind of theme about the fine line between gluttony and simple, pure motives. Which, again following up on>>2785943, Quina might have been fine as a flavor character in an otherwise solid cast.
>>
>>2785936
Yeah he's a comic character in a game that doesn't need any more fucking comic relief. Zidane is a wise-ass. Vivi trips over his own feet. The main antagonist representatives in the early game are Zorn and Thorn, a pair of clowns. Cid is an oglop.

The problem with FF9 is that there's not enough relief from the comedy.
>>
>>2785957
you two realize you sound exactly the fuckin same right
>>
>>2785953
Cait siths role in the story is fucking stupid. A guy controlling a robot cat that controls a robot moogle.

Then when he "sacrifices" it they act like it's a big deal when it's a fucking robot that is immediately replaced, and they let him stay in the party after he betrays them.

The whole thing is fucking retarded, like you.
>>
>>2785943
The main cast is not strong, at all. They're 1 dimensional fluff and quickly forgotten.
>>
File: persona-3-characters-9.jpg (202 KB, 1920x1080)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>blocks your path
>>
>>2785981
They aren't annoying freaks, though, that is the point.
FF6's entire story is told in a much lighter, more abstract style than FF9's elaborate, dramatic, text-heavy Playstation style.
>>2785958
To you.
>>2785980
Stay mad, furfag freak.
Better than Quina is the point.
IX fanboys are pathetic.
>>
>>2786035
There's nothing wrong with 9s designs, they're not even that weird. 6 also has furrshit so the furrfag comment doesn't even make sense. The main 4,the only 4 that matter, are human.
>>
File: 27f.jpg (191 KB, 692x1100)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
I shall never criticize any game in the FF series because my abilities to recognize and describe their infinite flaws absolutely pale in comparison with those of genuine fans of the series. Whenever I wish to bring up some detail that I found off with any of the FFs I played, there appears a >400 pound basement dweller with over a 1000 hours played who will precisely describe in astonishing detail how this particular entry in the series is literally an act of necrocoprophilia that has ruined millions of lives. My own understanding of how much ass Final Fantasy sucks is truly pathetic and inadequate, so the job falls to true masters.

I kneel before your awesome capacity to hate the shit that you consume, FFags.
>>
>>2785691
Not even the worst in its own series.
>>
>>2785943
>Zidane's real (and frankly, brief) storyline doesn't even properly start until Garland shows up on disk fucking 3.
So nothing involving Tantalus counts just because it wasn't part of his backstory reveal?
>>
>>2786113
It's boring yeah. Especially since the bulk of it gets crammed in the first two hours instead of gameplay. I hated all that shit in the evil forest. Baku or whatever is Zidane's surrogate father and he is wise. Got it. Didn't need to dwell on it for so long.
>>
>>2785695
aside from the ugly goblin whore I don't see anything wrong
>>
>>2785691
They're not even the worst in their own series, you waste of your father's sperm.
>>
>>2786158
>It doesn't exist because I didn't like it
>Baku is the only member of Tantalus
>Ignoring his history in Lindblum
Okay I guess.
>>
>>2785691
Nope, they're great. Sorry that you're a soulless NPC.
>>
>>2785980
thats still infinitely better than "lolsorandum tongue monster eat da frog xd"
>>
>>2785876
God, this! It's like, the five most boring shits we could find, and Fran.
Fran can get it, though. Fuck yes.
>>
>>2786325
I love Quina and hate Cait Sith but you're right.
>>
>>2786355
>leggy gyaru with the syrupy accent, goddamn
still wish she wasn't a bunny
>>
>>2785699
its just some autist spamming
god I hate modern 4chan
>>
>>2786325
>he’s not a mission to master the art of eating
ngmi
>>
>>2785713
>garnet’s design is very meh
What are you
>>
>>2785854
No Sazh was fine.

>>2785982
No one responded to you because your post was poor.
>>
This entire thread just shows how fucking casual this board is. Really, you think a generic FF cast is the worst?
Fuckers need to play Sands of Destruction and endure true suffering.
>>
>>2785691
Nope, the playable girls are top tier and I'd fuck them all.
>>
>>2786516
its a japanese girl with medium length black hair, in that bad midget look all the characters suffer from. though really they stylize it enough where most of the characters look fine despite the small proportions, except the two main fucking characters. zidane and garnet they werent committed to stylization or going full humanoid so they both come out looking like freaks
>>
>>2785697
I thought they were one of the better casts, they were very subtle in their characterization. Except Penelo who was clearly an after thought.
>>
>>2786521
/vrpg/ is full of entry level players and zoomers who unironically think lets plays are the superior way to interact with jrpgs.
>>
>>2786063
Kek. You can apply that to about any fanbase, especially Atlus. I more or less agree. I’ve always found at least a few redeeming qualities in all of them no matter how bad I thought a particular one may have been. XIII is really the only one I’ve never bothered to replay. Only reason I went back and finished XII is because of the Zodiac Age and even then I had a hard time with it.
>>
>>2786539
Yeah its basically the FF7 lego style but higher res with textures and taken literally instead of just the abstract field models.
>>
>>2786539
Idk man sounds like a pretty homosex take to me
>>
>>2786575
>han
>chewie
>luke
>leia
>basch
>white mage
>subtle in their characterization
>>
>>2786821
Surface level similarities, what a smallbrain take
>>
>>2786842
>i-it's not...it's n-not sta-starwars bro
>the c-characters don't m-meet i-in a bar, th-they meet in p-prison
>>
>>2786842
Face it dude, XII is X-2 levels of unfinished and uninspired, they just had FFXI assets to disguise it at that point.
>>
>>2786875
I play them both as a kid and even then I thought the game were extremely less creative compared to the old ones, the only reason FF12 is likable is bc Ivalice is really charming and fun to explore, but the game itself is dogshit
>>
>>2786842
the "ff12 is just star wars!" meme is just as fucking stupid as the "ff9 is just dbz!" meme. actual zoomer takes.
>>
>>2787164
ff12 isn't just star wars but if you have to be pretty fucking stupid to deny the blatant star wars influences.
>>
>>2786591
I've come to the conclusion this board doesn't need to exist at all. The userbase is so miniscule that every single topic is more or less a recurrent general anyway.
>>
>>2785699
IIRC, most of them come with some sort of hang-up that makes building a party a pain in the ass. Shadowheart is a cleric with a god-awful domain, so your most straightforward source of healing is shit at its job unless you roll a cleric PC. Gale is a wizard who eats valuable magic items, so the most powerful class in the system will be a drain on your resources unless you roll a wizard PC. Astarion has vampire weaknesses without vampire firepower, so your skill monkey takes damage from stepping in a creek. Shadowheart, Astarion, and Lae'zel are also evil, which may become inconvenient for good guy parties if BG3 goes the BG1/2 route of having party members leave for not being evil/good enough, since their classes fill very important niches (healer, lockpick/trap disposal, meat shield).
>>
>>2786048
>There's nothing wrong with 9s designs, they're not even that weird
>Zidane
16yo monkeyboy
>Garnet
16yo princess
>Steiner
hypothetically an adult but throws temper tantrums like a child.
>Vivi
non-human child character who trips over his own feet
>Freya
rat-woman dragoon who wears a raincoat instead of the dragon-inspired armor that dragoons used to wear.
>Quina
freakazoid whose dialog consists of nothing but food and cooking memes
>Eiko
yet another child character and unlike Vivi this one is an obnoxious loli "in love" with Zidane. And she wears stupid-looking overalls. (They look no less stupid on Rex in XC2).
>Amarant
pathetic unlikable mope that somehow manages to be uglier than anyone else in the main cast.

Zidane and Garnet are the only good characters and Vivi is OK.
>>
>>2785697
Balthier's great, though.
>>
>>2785697
Shit taste, FFXII has great characters only vaan is bad. And he is better than allbof FF IX except Reiner
>>
>>2786048
Although I guess I should clarify that it's not that the characters are all bad, but as an ensemble I think it's fair to say it's pretty weird.
>>
>>2785884
>But if you just stick to the actual main characters: Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Steinert, they are the best main cast in the series
Zidane - Wah I'm a lonely orphan who wants to bone the princess
Garnet - Wah, my mum isn't my real mum, and evil, I'm so alone
Vivi - Wah, I'm the only one like me, I'm so alone
Steiner - #Actually decent#
Amarant - "Whatever" 2.0 totally (not) Squall
Freya - Wah, my boyfriend isn't interested me in anymore more, I'm so alone
Quina - FEED ME SEYMOR!
Eiko - The one you should fear!
>>
>>2785982
Good post
>>
>>2787880
Low blow!
>>
>>2787880
>wants to bone the princess
So he’s more realistic and relatable than than all other male FF leads.
>>
>>2788214
Yeah honestly one reason the rest of the cast disappointed me is that I basically liked Zidane's personality and general concept.
>>
>>2787852
balthier's a fruit and so are you
>>
>>2785697
Balthier and Basch are great characters and the females work for the same reason all female companions work in JRPGs. Coomerbait. The only real failure of a party member is Vaan.
>>
>>2785691
IX had the reverse issue of VIII, very boring protagonist with much more interesting supporting cast.
>>
>>2788407
The problem with the "supporting" cast (assuming you aren't turned off by their personalities and appearance) is that they don't "support" so much as distract.

The story is so busy developing all the side characters, the main plot just kind of moves from one obligatory event to the next, driven mostly by Brahne, one of the most boring villains in the whole franchise, with Kuja just kinda lurking conspicuously-yet-mysteriously behind her. I don't mind Zidane's main motivation being to get into Garnet's pants, that's a totally reasonable and expected motivation. I just hate how it all drags on for so long sorting out Steiner hiding his insecurities by clinging to duty and Freya's problems with Fartley and and Eiko's dinner party and whatever the fuck Quina's subplot was. In theory I love how the game cared enough to develop the whole subplot where Tantalus cures Blank from the petrification but that assumes a game where I was fully invested in the protagonist and main story.

It seems to me that almost everyone who loves FF9, loves this early-game focus on the side characters and many would say the game goes to shit for the final act. But for me it's the opposite, I actually like the ending because when Garland shows up and starts spouting exposition, it finally begins to feel like Zidane is more than just filling space in the story.
>>
>>2788404
Balthier's trash. Basch is unremarkable, but his archetype is far less overplayed than any of the others, plot twist spoiler shit notwithstanding.
>>
>>2788516
no lies detected
second half of the game feels like an inversion of many modern AAA titles: instead of an unfinished narrative that needs to be resolved but we never got around to finishing those endgame zones, you have complete, polished dungeons and no narrative momentum to carry you through them.
>>
>>2788526
>complete, polished dungeons
I refuse to believe the 4 fiends segment in disc 3 was finished.
>>
these threads are so toxic they make me want to say such bad things to all of you, why are ff fans so fucking stupid and retarded
>>
>>2788536
it's been forever and it's FFIX so my memory is spotty. also i can get away with bullshit because it's just the way things go around here
>>
>>2785691
No, that would be FF 13.
>>
>>2788232
>balthier's a fruit
I didn't realize this until I read this post.
>has 10/10 bunny companion
>doesn't interested
>has the queen at his beck
>fakes death to avoid
>>
>>2788516
>It seems to me that almost everyone who loves FF9, loves this early-game focus on the side characters and many would say the game goes to shit for the final act
Nah the whole thing’s great
>>
>>2788550
What a retarded ass post.
>>
>>2785876
Oh thank God they did this i could not stand going around with another Moodle or an edgy bangaa
>>
>>2785884
>Do you guys bitch about Umaro and gogo in FF6?

Kinda disingenuous to use secret characters that a lot of players might never even recruit.
>>
>>2788702
Yeah another thing about 9fans is laziness
>>
>>2788550
>I'm so triggered I literally can't even.
>>
>>2787880
>Zidane - Wah I'm a lonely orphan who wants to bone the princess
The crying is total bullshit.
He's one of the least depressed MCs in the entire series.
It takes almost the entire game and a complete revelation about his past to finally make him crack, the party helps him snap out of it in short order, and it doesn't have anything to do with being an orphan.
>Garnet - Wah, my mum isn't my real mum, and evil, I'm so alone
Yeah, pretty much.
Granted she was right about her mom not actually being evil, for all the good that did.
>Vivi - Wah, I'm the only one like me, I'm so alone
Kid's got a pretty legit thing to cry about to be fair.
As soon as he finds out he's not the only one of his kind, he also realizes they all have terminal cancer and have a few years to live at best.
And he STILL manages to have a positive outlook by the end of the game.
>Steiner - #Actually decent#
Watching him man the fuck up and become a husbando worthy of best waifu is nice.
>Amarant - "Whatever" 2.0 totally (not) Squall
Literally has a character arc of learning to appreciate friends.
Fuck this edgy cunt.
>Freya - Wah, my boyfriend isn't interested me in anymore more, I'm so alone
It's less "isn't interested", and more "doesn't even remember I exist", but she's definitely the most emo.
Fratley was definitely still interested, seeing as they were starting their relationship over at the end of the game despite his amnesia.
>Quina - FEED ME SEYMOR!
kek
>Eiko - The one you should fear!
Eiko was pretty shallow, but that honestly seems fair for a child character with so little life experience.
If she wasn't actually the one crying about being an orphan, she was running off her juvenile ideas of what love is.
Two kids would be a bit much if Vivi weren't so goddamn mature for his age.
>>
>>2788913
Nah we active
>>
>>2788526
I might say it's like Final Fantasy IV in reverse (but with far more detailed and time-consuming storytelling). In FF4, first two acts of the game are all about Cecil resolving his initial conflict with Baron and becoming a Paladin. Most of his character growth happens during that phase, the rest of the story he's just there to Do The Right Thing with some finishing touches at the end on the forgiveness vs vengeance theme.
>>
>>2788705
no i just genuinely think you should all fucking kill yourselves that's it lol i can't imagine being such a miserable fuck that you spend this much time playing a game series you actively hate and then spend the rest of your time shitting on it online. you're literally mindbroken and there's no going back so go suck down a bullet and put an end to it asap
>>
>>2788951
It's too early in the morning for you to be having this much of a meltdown troonie
>>
>>2788951
I don't actively hate the series, retard.
I'm just an adult capable of performing analysis and criticism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.