[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: cataclysmBN.png (7 KB, 661x387)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
Do we still talk about Cataclysm? Haven't seen a thread in a while. I wanted to get back into it but don't know whether Dark Days Ahead or Bright Nights is the better version these days. When I last payed attention, DDA was being extremely weird with cutting out features for "realism" while BN was more or less a legacy version with the less retarded features ported over. How are they nowadays?
>>
>Still no rape mods
>>
I can't imagine there would ever be a point where Bright NIghts isn't the better version for most people.
>>
>>2783784
So DDA has continued being retarded? Got it.
>>
>>2783781
For you...

seriously cdda is so fuckin easy to mod it's your own fucking fault, don't be helpless
>>
>>2783799
>Wanting to deal with spaghetti code
Lol no
>>
>>2783800
Well, you can make excuses, or you can get on with the rapin'. Make your own !FUN!1
>>
>>2783777
>always roll random characters, fixed scenario
>somehow roll multiple middle aged to old people with drug addictions or weird sexual tendencies
They don't usually do too well
>>
>Cataclysm
just go to /rlg/ on /vg/. they talk about it 24/7.
>>
>>2783781
reproduction mod had rape
>>
>>2783842
in my experience, you get better discussions on a game such as CDDA outside dedicated spaces, because the dedicated spaces are where the troons, coomers, headcanons, babbys, and assorted degenerates congregate. No one with anything useful to say wants to associate with all that.
>>
Spears >/= Guns > Everything else
Range is king, and infinite supply ranged attacks are the best. I've honestly become a bit stuck in a single playstyle. Day 1 find supplies to build a knife spear, and just stab everything until you have enough ammo to train shooting to a level where it's usable.
Are any other weapon "types" that good besides? Most weapons I've seen have such a high movement cost that they don't seem usable at all. Spears are not only quick but also have reach so that you don't need to fret too much if the enemy manages to get in an action between yours.
>>
>>2785520
>Are any other weapon "types" that good besides?
Finding a shotgun, than face-blasting everything at point blank until you have enough ammo to train shooting to a level where it's usable.
>>
>>2785527
So my hypothesized spears + guns being the only thing you need is correct? If you are at a range where you don't ever really get hit then you don't need to armor up. If you don't need to armor up then you get less encumbrance and can kill easier, meaning that you can have even less armor since you aren't at danger nearly as much.
>>
>>2783777
This game needs more shootouts. They have this cover mechanic, but no one to shoot at. I've found a bandit hideout only once.
>>
>>2785536
>So my hypothesized spears + guns being the only thing you need is correct?
No, because shotguns are better than spears.

>If you are at a range where you don't ever really get hit then you don't need to armor up.
You should ALWAYS armor up, because there are too many things in CDDA that can happen to you suddenly and without any warning.
>Moose
>Jabberwock
>Black bear
>Zombear
>Graboid
>Feral predator
>Decayed pouncer
>Dermatik
>Hunting horror
>Chicken walker
>Mini-tank
You can encounter any of these even in early game, most of them can see further than you do and most importantly they have between 115 and 200 (!) speed. Even if you try and evade/lose line of sight by using terrain (like abusing bushes), they are very likely to get in a few hits (especially the ones that shoot), which is extremely likely to live you with much lower speed than wearing a reasonable amount of armor would (because pain). And then you are dead.
>>
>>2785520
>Day 1 find supplies to build a knife spear
that's hour 1, and aaaaancient wiki info, though still perfectly relevant.
>Are any other weapon "types" that good besides?
hour 2, vehicle.
125 movement is about as slow as you can get away with in the early game, mind your damage types, FIRE AXE
>>
File: 1650545063102.jpg (9 KB, 155x155)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Tip for people who want to go primarily melee
>Make caltrops
>Make steel spear
>Deploy caltrops near a window chokepoint
>Remove zombie chaff without problem
Of course this strategy falls apart when bullshit monsters like kevlar hulks appear, they really suck, the game would be fine without "hulk" and "brute" type enemies.

Also are there any rougelikes similar to CDDA? I mean preferably set in modern day/near future
>>
>>2785566
mi-gos will shred you without armor; you can't outrun them so you need to outdamage them.

wasps and bees are squishy but incredibly dangerous; thankfully they have a short aggro range.

do not DO NOT engage the fungus without 100% coverage and environmental resistance, and not even then, unless there's a fungal structure that you absolutely have to kill with fire(you're still better served by leaving town).
>>
Arson is your friend. Fire kills everything except firefighter zombies, shoggoths, and probably mechs.
>>
>>2785580
>shoggoths
Lol i remember when i first encountered them in underground lab
>Clean up the lab floor after floor
>Get pretty deep
>Suddenly a new monster you never saw before called "shoggoth"
>Fuck that looks scary
>Unsheathe my 40mm grenade launcher
>Fire a shot, it doesnt die, wtf???
>Suddenly 2 more Shogs appear
>WTF?
>Dump the whole supply of 40mm nades into them
>They shrug it off and more of them appear
>Say fuck it, arm few c4 i had in my backpack and leave that lab forever
Only later i learned that Shoggs multiply and heal by eating misc debris on the floor so by firing HE shells into them that leave shrapnel on the floor and create a lot of mess i only helped them multiply.
Moments like this is what i love in CDDA, too bad that dev went into autism direction and removed fun toys like pneumatic weapons
>>
>>2785536
mobility and armor are of equal priority imo; if a situation calls for one more than the other, that is a question of "do i take off my turnout coat?"
>>
>>2785583
They're real, real bad. If you can ignite them/catch them on wreckage or caltrops, unload a minigun into them, and then unload a second minigun into them, that MIGHT be enough burst damage to kill them. Melee just straight-up will not work unless you're a post-threshold monstrosity with hydraulic muscles, a diamond katana, and niten ichi ryu.
>>
>>2785591
Next time i see one ill just set off a mininuke in its vicinity and run to the other half of the lab, hopefully that would work
>>
>>2785595
>mininuke
or two
>>
What are some important items for crafting that I should always pick up? I have no idea what I should be looking out for. I only really know how to make a wooden spear.
>>
>>2785619
A toolbox will take care of damn near everything that isn't highly advanced fabrication.
Tailor's kit is necessary for reinforcing armor and adding kevlar.
A rock or chunk of steel is an adequate hammer for crafting, but not for construction.
That's all I ever need, but I don't do a lot of crafting.
Chemistry sets are rare but incredibly useful.
>>
>>2785619
The prepper house with the landmines in the living room usually has a bunch of gunsmithing and reloading equipment in the garage.
>>
>>2785631
>Chemistry sets are rare
just look for mobile meth labs, they have one installed
>>
>>2785634
and non-drowsy cough syrup for RBDfags like me
>>
>>2785619
Any book, any tool, any rare material.
Usually most of chemicals if you can carry jugs of bleach or sacks of ammonia for eg.
Ammunition since it can be disassembled and handloaded too
>>
>>2785619
if you don't really know what you need because you are so new to the game, i wouldn't bother memorizing it yet. just learn to move and survive first.
>>
>>2785651
don't tell him how to play or what to think, the fuck is that shit?
>>
>>2785583
I mean that's pretty accurate to their description in At the Mountains of Madness. The Old Ones were wiped out by the Shoggoths, and the Old Ones won a war against the Mi-Go, driving them to near-extinction on earth, meaning that a Shoggoth should be leauges above a Mi-Go in the power scale. The Old Ones managed to put down a Shoggoth rebelion at first, but that was only through use of beam weapons that apparently fucked with the fundamental molecular structure of a Shoggoth, and the Shoggoths weren't exactly inteligent beings at that point.
They are described as multiplying through fission which I take as 1930's talk meaning that they undergo mitosis on a macro-scale.
>>
>>2785619
Blacksmithing gear is something I always pick up if I am able to carry it. You can get some good use out of it if you are going melee-heavy, in my experience.
>>
>>2785661
fuck off, faggot
>>
>>2785688
Forging your own toys is the best part of CDDA, i love settling in some cabin in the woods, getting a car there for easy scrap disassemble and metal source and just spending entire winter forging my own plate armor and maces, or samurai equipment. Too bad that its not really a viable "playstyle" since most zombies will fuck you over by the time you are done roleplaying as a blacksmith
>>
>>2785766
Everything is viable is you adjust the world settings to your preference.
>>
>>2785767
Yeah i created my own blacklist that disabled most zombies i found to be bullshit and removed the revive mechanics (why the fuck did they remove that from options), also added a single shot black powder bolt action rifle inspired by Dreyse needle gun because it seems like something player should be able to make but it doesnt feel right morally
>>
>>2785772
>Revive
Pulping takes like 5 seconds both in-game and in real-life
>>
>>2785776
>Pulping takes like 5 seconds both in-game and in real-life
Thats 5 seconds too much, sorry but its just shit mechanic. When your killscore goes into 100's it adds up and id much rather spend that time actually having fun playing the game.
>>
>>2785783
agreed, pointless busywork for anyone who isn't super new to the game.
>>
>>2785681
>They are described as multiplying through fission which I take as 1930's talk meaning that they undergo mitosis on a macro-scale.
Cellular fission (as in, division, not nuclear reactions) is a thing - mitosis is only one very specific type of fission, used by organisms with an advanced cytoskeleton, like us. Bacteria, archaea and some fungi cells are incapable of mitosis, for example.

At the Mountains of Madness most probably referred to transverse fission, or strobilation, which is a type of asexual reproduction which involves an entire multicellular organism deliberately dividing into two or more new organisms:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strobilation

What this means is that an Internet-less shut-in fiction writer in the 1930s knew more about biology than (you) do.
>>
>>2785520
>haha spear strong
>>2785576
>nooo muh kevlar hulks
That's why you should go for the longsword and martial arts fun. Medieval Swordsmanship block bonuses make normal zombies do no damage to you even without armor and turn nearly every strong hit into a graze. Get some armor and you're fucking invincible. Then you upgrade into a Zweihander (reach attack) and get some reach + leather gloves to also fuck up shocker zombies. By the time there are Kevlar hulks around you should snatch a book about the Montante martial art from the mansion, and then you can fuck up hulks easy with a longsword or Zweihander, but do have deft in case of Zwei because that one has no feint. Barbaran Montante straight up ignores any funny damage reductions with the pause buff.
>>
>>2785806
Interesting. That's probably the case then. He was a bit off with things in the physics department so I assumed that he made things up as he went in general.
>>
>>2785576
>Also are there any rougelikes similar to CDDA?
I'm assuming you want a sandbox survival game that you might as well control through the command console, rather than something where you delve dungeons, with that description.
Elona+ / Elona+C or whatever the most up-to-date english version is is my go-to for freeform clunky exploration and character building. It's enormous and quite fun IF you can stomach jap weirdness. Not so much survival, but very free-form. Also free.
Tales of Maj'Ejal is along the same lines, minus jap weirdness and plus a pricetag. Haven't really understood it, but you can sink a good few thousand hours in it if it jives with you.
Caves of Qud seems like a good candidate, although I haven't played it myself.
Project Zomboid is just zombie apocalypse played straight, but for me it's just a very inferior version of CDDA/BN in all categories. It's real-time rather than turn based as well. Might be for you, but I didn't like it. It's too close to Cataclysm for me not to compare the two, and Zomboid has very little to strive for long-term and is just restrictive.
Dwarf Fortress adventure mode has gotten better. Not exactly good since it's still a buggy mess, but if you could stomache it before then it's fair. There are also plenty of mods for it.
>>
>>2785767
I never feel good about doing that; pretty sure fungals are the only thing I disable because the fungus is completely out of control in 0.D
yeah i play 0.D, no launcher never the launcher
>>
>>2785772
I was going to say "HAHA, WHY NOT PLAY BN INSTEAD OF DDA?" and feel all snarky, but then I checked and it's gone from their world options as well. What the fuck? It isn't even a debug option.
>>
>>2785885
0.D, my guy
reject modernity, return to møøse
>>
>>2785894
But my (sort of) working electrical grids.
When did DDA go to shit anyways? I played a lot of 0.C many years ago. I think I tried the latest build in 2020 and I wasn't too big a fan and only switched to BN a year ago from 0.C DDA.
>>
File: GURPS.jpg (24 KB, 381x360)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Surprised that both DDA and BN haven't added this feature yet. The difference in a 12 gauge shotgun designed for 3" shells is something like 0.003" and you can headspace it off of the forcing cone.
>>
>>2785905
0.C had that memory-crash stability issue for months, maybe you remember that; they finally locked it down and/or got some new heads on the devteam...0.D is when they went real crazy with the monster evolution and craptons of mods...launcher was introduced around this time...right around then I'd say. The community shifted from møøse memes, deathmobiles, mutagens and naked barbarians to some autistic "rebalancing" crap and I stopped paying attention.
>>
>>2785916
I recall some stability issues, but my memory is quite faulty in general. Good to hear that I wasn't missing out too much by sticking to 0.C, since it sounds like there was only one major update that wasn't shit after it.
>>
>>2785918
Cooper was peak DDA in my opinion, but you can easily tweak 0.D back to it, and keep whatever new features you like.
>>
>>2785918
0.C was buggy as shit, they were still trying to fix all the godawful whales code, but the horrible crashing issue was their own fault. Someone cut a couple corners, and suddenly the engine was constantly ticking fires in subterranean lava pools/whatever tf else was going on in adjacent z-levels and bam, crash to error log.
>>
File: revmod.png (43 KB, 1920x1080)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>2785885
Are you blind or something?
>>
>>2785941
they moved shit around in the worldgen menu at some point, i lost track of it myself for a second...but yeah he blind
>>
>>2785911
oh sweet you have a gun
fuckin put a bullet in my head
>>
>>2785783
Get an AI companion. You can set them up to pulp every corpse automatically.
>>
>>2783777
What language is this game written on? I know java programming basics and I would like to contribute in some way.
>>
>>2786014
exactly why you should just turn it off, way too easy to handle, so it's pointless to have on. it's not an interesting mechanic.
>>
>>2786015
C++
>>
>>2783842
funny how a game that isn't even a real roguelike took over that thread
>>
>>2786034
>a real roguelike
really came out swingin', haven't you faggot
>>
>>2786019
No. It adds purpose to charisma builds and recruiting NPCs - they save you in game time, so it's not like it's just an irl time waster.
>>
>>2785894
Danny introduced a lot of zombie mutations that seemed to be designed just be counters to common strategies. I don't particularly care for ferral hunters or shady zombies, they just seem to be designed to counter crawling through early-game at night.
Most types are fine but I really don't jive with the sneaky ones.
>>
>>2786133
Everything past 0.D made game less fun and more autistic in a bad sense.
They cant even implement electric grids properly but they instead added nonsensical food mechanics

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.