[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: dev.png (981 KB, 800x954)
981 KB
981 KB PNG
Striking while the iron is not so hot edition.
Post games you are working on, ask feedback about ideas, art, music. Or just post about *that* game you'll never start making.
>>
>>2782760
No, i refuse.
>>
>>2782760
You're nowhere near as chad as blacksmiths. You just push some buttons sitting on your ass all day, now stop pretending.
>>
File: file.png (3.37 MB, 1920x2880)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB PNG
>>2782760
So here is my game idea on paper

Mechanics:
>No party. Only your character. There are friends and other NPCs but at the end of the day you fight alone.
>There are no levels. You spend time to train your attributes to become stronger, or practice your technique to get better at them.
>No consumables in combat. However you have to eat and sleep each day. It is not punishing as long as you aren't neglecting it to starvation, but if you spend the money needed for the good stuff, then you receive the appropriate power boost.
>A man's gotta eat. Easiest way is to have money, and a job. It takes time from your training but you can't always be out hunting your own food, making your own clothes, and they might not accept the barter system for clothes.
>Adventuring also brings money, quite lucrative actually. But it also brings danger and potential injury. Someone has to foot the medical bill as well.

Setting:
>Game takes place in a huge metropolis. Slightly futuristic level of technology, plus the supernatural.
>All sort of subcultures living in factions with their own territory. Varying levels of crime depending on the neighbourhood.
>There are also mega corporations, clans with actual blood relations, and religious sects all over the place.
>Many of them hold actual tangible powers. Like the hippies actually receiving blessings from elementals.
>Others turn to enhancer drugs, cybernetics, or making personal deals with other entities.

Story:
>Player Character has amnesia (hey, don't fix it if it ain't broken)
>Slowly learns the ways of this new world (probably along with the player), as he tries to find his past
>Hunters start to go after you, really wrecking your shit if you don't take your time to train
>In the end you don't actually fight god just some very tough people.
>>
> followed my old code because it works fine
> old code: spawnpoints are placed properly
> new code: spawnpoints are placed one tile unit off the xy axis
> 2hours trying trying to figure this out
> give up
> subtracted 1 tile unit to properly place spawnpoints

this irks me
>>
>>2782918
>There are no levels. You spend time to train your attributes to become stronger, or practice your technique to get better at them.
This is hard to get right, lots of games have tried and failed.
>A man's gotta eat. Easiest way is to have money, and a job. It takes time from your training but you can't always be out hunting your own food, making your own clothes, and they might not accept the barter system for clothes.
>Adventuring also brings money, quite lucrative actually. But it also brings danger and potential injury. Someone has to foot the medical bill as well.
Like it.
>>
>>2782792
that's not cool bro, don't dis creatives doing creation stuff.
>>
>>2782760
Today Ibfound a way to add more depth and in turn more work and a bigger scope to my game. Just same old ideaguying to death. Someday in 2027 I'll release a full game.
>>
>>2782792
>perfecting the blade/game by first molding it into shape, then giving it small touches to fix imperfections
A simpleton will see an artisan as someone just hitting things over and over.
>>
>got pretty much 90% of the game figured out
>unsure about how to implement combat
guess I'll start with turn-based and go from there
>>
>>2783652
>2027
Optimistic. Teams of several people take years to make a game with 8 hours of work a day.

With that in mind, do you still think you'll be done by 2027 with a loose scope?
>>
File: english_boar.gif (6 KB, 240x160)
6 KB
6 KB GIF
Another boss.
>>
>>2783660
Took me a while to realize what I was looking at. Looked like the top half of a hair faced person with a purple shirt brushing their long hair with their hand.
>>
File: clive.png (4 KB, 148x125)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Missable recruit yay or nay?
>>
>>2783658
I have no idea anon. I've set the scope in maps/characters/events/etc by as modules, at least 8 modules and I'm trying to complete the first which is pretty much done. With one module done I'll release a demo and then estimate how much it would take to finish the other 7. But considering how much I've learned trying to do one I assume it would take me less than this first part. It would also help if I settle the mechanics but thats trial and error.
>>
File: 9 - 21 - 2022 UI update.png (481 KB, 1278x314)
481 KB
481 KB PNG
Last thread died before I had a chance to post an update. The Anon who posted tips for my UI in the previous thread reached out, and we're now working together on the game.
Top is the old UI made by me, bottom is the new in-progress one made by the Anon.
Things are going smoothly now that someone who actually knows how to draw is doing visuals
>>
>>2783709
Yeah, new one looks better.
>>
>>2783711
It's stylish but idk about the menu buttons, i know the old ones are default assets but they're cleaner
>>
>>2783723
The primary focus was to get it started visually - right now it's pretty dark and unintuitive compared to the old one, which you could easily gauge what's clickable since the buttons pop out and are very clear.
The next step would be working on the color contrast so that what's visual flair fades in the background, and what's interactable shines through so there's no confusion.
Same with the buttons, right now it's a lot of gray on gray, so it's hard to see when the icon ends and the background begins, but doing it this way first helps flesh out the concepts.

Either way, I appreciate the feedback. Which buttons don't you like? Or do you not like the design in general?
>>
>>2783726
I don't like the new buttons, they're pretty boring. Artist should attempt to recreate the shitty old buttons 'cause they have quite a bit of soul. I particularly like the da vinci character button, and the backpack.

That's all I got for ya.
>>
>>2783709
I think the new one is too dark, hard to discern anything.
You're making a game where you'll be looking at things happening in the middle of the screen, it needs to be visually distinct so you can tell your hp is low while eyes are focused elsewhere.
>>
File: TESTFONTS.png (67 KB, 718x525)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
Ignore the reddit text, do these fonts fit?
>>
>>2784089
not for a fantasy game, you need serifs and some faux-print irregularities at the very least. ain't gotta go full diablo font but you get the idea
>>
>>2784099
Oh, it's a modern fantasy /x/ game.
I just don't know if Montse goes with Bebas. I want to give it that magazine look.
>>
>>2783691
I came here for a similar question. My idea was to have a large array of characters, say in the 30-50 range, but have a hard limit on how many characters can be recruited in a playthrough (Right now I'm thinking 18) with in-game reason for the limit (The protagonist's base can only house up to 18 people). I want the game to have a relatively short playtime (30 to 40 hours like a SNES/PS1 era JRPG) but high replay value. I think replaying the game with completely different characters would make it interesting. Even on just one playthrough, it would be interesting for two players discussing the game to see how different their team went. Also, something I'm thinking about (not sure yet) would be to let the player do evil actions in towns, and having lots of characters mean an evil player character can recruit evil characters. But I'm afraid that players with a completitionist mindset might feel like they're "missing out" by not being able to recruit everyone. What do you guys think? I mostly play JRPGs, so maybe this is common in WRPG? The few WRPGs I played (mostly Bioware games) I was able to recruit everyone (except Loghain and Alistair in DAO being mutually exclusive).
>>
Any artist here that would be willing to take commissions for character portraits?
>>
>>2784299
>but have a hard limit on how many characters can be recruited in a playthrough
Why?
>>
>>2784299
Remember that although you can recruit all the NPCs in those games, you have limited time to interact with them. I think we all had obligatory companions do nothing but sit at camp through the whole game, because we didn't want to tell them to fuck off, but at the same time we weren't interested enough in them to be made regular party members.
>>
>>2784994
Not him, and I'm not trying to insult you, but literally
>fuck you that's why
but if I was making that game I'd unlock the roster for NG+. Maybe one slot at a time because again, fuck you.
>>
>>2784299
that sounds awesome do it. we absolutely, unironically need more of that.

also just tell us what game you're plagiarizing 'cause i will play it
>>
Is there a good way to calculate damage/scalling/stat caps to make a somewhat balanced game? How do you do it for your game?
>>
>>2785489
playing it a LOT, and having others play through it as well.
i've beaten it several thousand times at this point.
>>
>>2785497
>other play through it as well
This implies people will play my game
>>
>>2784089
Second body text should be a little bolder.
>>
>>2785500
you'd be surprised. i've seen several games posted in there threads and I played through them all, and usually left ~2 paragraphs worth of feedback
>>
>>2785503
>there threads
*these
i can't into typing
>>
>>2785503
I'll drop mine when its eventually playable then. Th-thanks anon.
>>
>>2785507
of course. remember to do the same to help the other anons in need
>>
>>2785420
And you wonder why no one plays your games.
If your only motivation to add a mechanic players might not like is a vague desire to fuck over a player archetype that triggers you and who probably isn't going to play your game anyway, it's probably a bad idea.
>>2785489
Descibe what you want in detailed English first, then derive the formulas. Think in terms of a baseline relationship and then actions or strats a player can use to gain advantage. And also in terms of traits you might change per enemy.

Eg at start, enemies should die in one melee hit and by the end, it should take 9 melee hits. Then you have some framework parameters and you can generate default damage and HP scaling to conform to the established constraint.
>>
>>2785589
>And you wonder why no one plays your games.
>If your only motivation to add a mechanic players might not like is a vague desire to fuck over a player archetype that triggers you and who probably isn't going to play your game anyway, it's probably a bad idea
you got me fucked up, anon. i don't make games, but you secretly wish I did.
>>
>>2785609
I'm really just interested in design discussion, so when someone comes in with a design question that piques my interest I respond. If someone is just looking for validation and encouragement I'm not good at that.
>>
>>2785622
Your motivations absolutely do not interest me, sorry if you got that impression. I was just out there doin' me, now I'm in here, doin' you.
>>
>>2785639
Yeah I really don't care what you think either, you are obviously a troll. I'm just explaining myself for any other anon who might be interested in discussion (including the anon who originally posted the request for feedback)
>>
>>2785668
>>2785639
>>2785622
>>2785609
>>2785589
Now fuck
>>
File: yeahbaby.jpg (51 KB, 400x400)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2785669
>Fuck
>Ends in 69
Nice
>>
>>2785668
>oh i'm obviously a troll
you fuckin what m8? click back through our conversation real quick. Tell me what you read. Or don't, doesn't matter, the writing's on the wall, for those other anons. Get fucked.
>>
>>2783660
Knife attack animation.

With sound: https://files.catbox.moe/ar2r1t.webm
>>
Ok so I can't find an artist...
I'll go with the Lynchian advice and just use collage placeholders as the actual portraits
>>
>>2785991
graphics are the last thing in gamedev or so I heard
>>
>>2786001
Yeah, I need full graphic-gameplay integration so I kinda needed art to go along. No matter, I dig the aesthetic although I have to make it not look cheap , again...collage.
>>
>>2785589
>If your only motivation to add a mechanic players might not like is a vague desire to fuck over a player archetype that triggers you and who probably isn't going to play your game anyway, it's probably a bad idea
try explaining THAT to Fromshit-eating-tards.
>>
File: 2022-09-24 14-07-42.webm (1.13 MB, 640x480)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB WEBM
>>2785923
>>2783660
I love your game and your posts so fucking much man
>>
>>2786955
Like what?
>>
>>2786965
Thanks, your shit looks nice too :)
Here are the main characters smoking and playing mario kart with another boss.
>>
>>2786968
that their masochism simulator that they shill and dick-ride 24/7 is objectively bad game design.
>>
>>2787357
Like how? Try using words like "too fast" or "too slow" instead of "shit" and the like. Y'know, descriptive words instead of words that mean "it's bad" without any particular explanation.
>>
What do you guys think about story beats getting randomly assigned at the start of the game, or changing via mostly unrelated actions?

To get into a more specific example;
There is a mystery about your character's past when you start the game. In the final act it is revealed what the mystery is. If you've been aggressive about money and payment you've been a bandit. In another set of options you've been a zealous crusader who overdid things. In another you killed a person you didn't mean to, et cetera. The player only can change these things if they are playing with a goal in mind, but generally the game tries to assign it to them at the end.
>>
>>2787357
Your ad hominem attacks aside, hostile/sadistic game design is, on balance, objectively better than indulgent/forgiving game design. You can rail against it all you like, but think about how you sound doing it.
>>
>>2787379
i don't get your "example" but dynamic storyboarding is cool as shit
>>
>>2787379
Is there going to be any indication for what type of character you are or will it be more of a surprise? Because if it just comes out of nowhere then I can hardly see it being interesting if the player personally doesn't see any connection with their actions and their given past.

Also are all the pasts meant to be negative ones or were those just examples?
>>
>>2787387
It is, but how you go about it is just as important.

>>2787495
Just examples. I am still figuring them out. It mostly has to answer to why you were in cryogenic storage in the first place, and if you had any relation to the catastrophie that shook the world fifty years ago. Either on the side of cause, the side opposition, or you were randomly affected by it. It is to tie up the last chapter of the plot to the climax and the ending.
>>
File: gacha.png (76 KB, 1071x528)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>2786009
What kind of game are you trying to make? Character design is my jam picrel

>>2782760
Now that unity has released netcode for dummies, I want to wrangle a coder to help me prototype out a multiplayer rpg/rts where players loot dungeons where the enemies and traps are controlled by another player.
>>
>>2787357
You don't even name one single mechanic.
I asked a simple question to encourage anon to think through the motive behind limiting roster size. It's not that a roster cap is inherently bad, but a thoughtless restriction probably is.

You didn't even list one mechanic that I could evaluate and either explain why it is a good idea for that particular game, or that it is indeed a good example of arbtrarily or pointlessly frustrating game design. You are just frothing impotently at boogeymen souls fans.
>>
File: menu.webm (831 KB, 1280x720)
831 KB
831 KB WEBM
working on the menu
>>
>>2787985
cool, but cursor movement is too wavy imo
>>
>>2787985
keep the cursor steady unless it's idling on an option
>>
>>2787985
Good work anon. UI looks extremely professional
>>
>>2787983
thought this said
>frotting impotently
and it works just as well
>>
>>2787985
>Fulano
>No mengano
You disappoint me
>>
>>2787985
Everything is clean and great. I like how the party bar moves out of the way for the inventory tab especially. Only potential issue is scrolling through the giant inventory list down, especially if there's a lot of items.
>>
>>2782760
Dalle Mini 2 is goat
>>
>>2787983
>you didn't even list one mechanic
the "roll and stab em in the ass" combat gets really repetitive and stale after a while for one. the only souls games that even comes close to having a good combat system are BB and Sekiro and the latter isn't even an RPG.
secondly, this is more of a level design gripe, but hear me out:
two words: POISON. SWAMP...

Enough said.
>>
>kind of getting the hang of RPG maker
>realize I'll never be good at art or music
>>
>>2787985
how do you do this
>>
>>2788741
>the "roll and stab em in the ass" combat gets really repetitive and stale after a while for one
Well, that's clearly the core combat design. We're not talking about some minor feature here that's implemented "because fuck you" the game is designed almost entirely around finding ways to avoid taking damage, whether that's raising your shield, rolling at the right moment, or moving out of range before the attack lands. At this point I'll just assert that the core combat design in Souls is solid and effective, but you'll have to take me at my word because I really don't have time to do an entire essay from first principles.
>POISON. SWAMP...
My only real problem here are the mosquitos. It's like they wanted to capture the feeling of being stalked by an annoying mosquito, and they managed to capture that pretty well. And I really didn't enjoy it. Either way, the point is that it seems like they had some genuine motivation for atmosphere and variety of level design with unique challenges (ranged weapons, even throwing daggers, are particularly effective for taking out those mosquitos).
>>
>>2788004
thanks anon. maybe i should decrease the range of movement a little bit
>>2788024
i made some tests but it felt 'wrong' this way
>>2788177
thanks anon
>>2788207
sorry anon but i don't know what mengano is supposed to mean
>>2788212
thanks anon.
>>2789272
i'm using gamemaker
>>
>>2789329
>sorry anon but i don't know what mengano is supposed to mean
mengano is to fulano like vegeta is to goku, for example.
>>
>>2782760
Do you just go around to every board fishing for ideas?
>>
>>2789329
As another anon has said mengano is like fulano. Both are ways to call someone a 'john doe' but in spanish. Should have noticed you weren't going for that since beltrano/ciclano don't really make sense or aren't as used.
>>
>>2789351
>>2789422
>beltrano/ciclano don't really make sense or aren't as used.
that's how we say it in portuguese (at least here in brazil).
i didn't know fulano was also used in spanish, i really thought it was a brazilian expression
>>
I think from my second DD release I learned a lot. For example if you let people move the camera away from units in a top down game they'll scan the entire map for shit that might not have spawned in yet and then wander aimlessly.

Informative stuff. Also realism brown makes npcs really hard to see.
>>
>>2789329
Hold the fuck up, you've built all that UI using gamemaker? That's really impressive. I am using GMS2, and building something half as impressive took a lot of pain in the ass, which I am still not fully satisfied with.

>>2789356
Nah not at all. I generally look back on old movies I watched, books I've read, trying to refresh the memories. I also watched some hong-kong action cinema I never seen before.
>>
>>2789477
Oh so thats the portuguese version. I learned something new today.
>>
RPGM or GM for a retard who wants to make an FF clone?
>>
>>2789750
RPGMaker was made for FF clones.
>>
>>2782918
>practice your technique to get better at them
Unlocking skill abilities/effects would be more interesting that a flat stat increase.
Also, it could be implemented a bit like dnd downtime.
>Need to spend X time, based on level and difficulty, same with money
>No need to do it constantly, but you need to fill your X time in a Y margin, or you get nothing (potentially skipping some lessons)
>Cash gets spent as time goes on (you don't pay a teacher 100G beforehand, but rather 10G per class), which allows you to cut your losses if you back down and allows you to start with less cash than needed.
>>
I need ideaguy help, how can I make backtracking to a place for hourly/daily events not tedious? Fast travel? Just make it accesible through the menu?
>>
>>2789834
make it a place you go anyway. Backtracking in a single player game always feels artificial, let alone for dailies.
>>
>>2789753
What's GM made for?
>>
>>2789753
I'm doing a digimon world clone with it.
>>
Any advice on designing UIm?
>>
I don't want to post progress because I'm scared someone will steal my idea even though I stole it from another game.
>>
>>2790322
You want /agdg/ not this.

As for me I've been trying with teachables for a refund for over a week now and it has completely sapped the life out of me. Also some anon said that stylized art is harder than realism and I don't know about that but it's extremely demotivating.
I never thought I would say that Udemy was a good alternative to anything but at least there stuff is better rated.

Also i think genshin is really pretty even if it would put off some of the die hard western crpg crowd to have a game look like this.
>>
>>2790343
>it would put off some of the die hard western crpg crowd
Maybe, but on the other hand it could very well be that there's a market of would-be fans of games with crpg mechanics and brighter, more colorful themes and aesthetics. So long as you can somehow convey that it's an actual CRPG and not a softcore gacha.
>>
>>2790322
Eh, nothing new under the sun anyways, just unique riffs on old ideas, unless you're REALLY lazy like the average soulless AAA dev.
>>
>>2790545
I'm a quarter A dev at most, but yeah I'm basically doing unique riff on old ideas.
>>
File: 2022-09-27 bleeding.webm (1.79 MB, 1280x720)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB WEBM
gotta think of a way to show status effect descriptions for non mouse users
>>
>>2790715
goddman, pincers were not enough, the crabs have to wield banana blades
>>
>>2790827
Would be hilarious if they did a victory dance on the game over/you died screen.
>>
>>2790715
>>2787586
Occultist/surrealist/horror/modern "fantasy"
Inspired by some movies I like
>>
Rush time with sound: https://s1.webmshare.com/Ae8nN.webm

With that I have finished the first hour or so of the game (title, menus, intro and the first dungeon floor).
I have tested it on popular emus and the real thing without crashes or weird issues, so I'm happy.
>>
File: newUI.png (2.69 MB, 1603x907)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB PNG
Made some new UI
>>
I'd like to make a start on making an RPG, focused on espionage/politics rather than combat. I'm confident with writing, got a pretty basic knowledge of coding, my art skills are definitely the weakest part of my skillset. Since I want to focus on story and maximum player choice and that's where my strengths lie, I'm thinking of keeping the game text based with accompanying images, rather than creating maps, sprites etc.

I've had a brief look over my options for building the game and Twine seems like it could work well. Alternatively I could build it from scratch with Unity, although not sure if there's any point to doing that. Would be curious what game engine /vrpg/ think is best for something like this?
>>
>>2793232
Unity is the best for non-experienced devs, since there are an incredible amount of tutorials for any topics or issues you face. many of it's faults can be forgiven since you'll always have someone who can solve your problems on youtube or the forums.
it's probably a good idea to start there, get a rough prototype going, then either continue or try something else if it isn't working.
>>
>>2793249
>>2793232
as far as I know only unity, unreal, and to a very memey extent godot can be considered general purpose engines.
The rest are very niche in their features and application. You will find a limitation sooner or later.
>>
File: 9 - 30 - 2022.png (2.33 MB, 2561x1261)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB PNG
>>2783709
update
icons might get redone, we'll see
i like how this came out so far, though. current feedback is that the button placement doesn't align too well. gonna experiment with that.
>>
Is it possible to make a rouge-like in rpg maker 2k3?
>>
>>2793211
Timing improved: https://files.catbox.moe/iv1kg8.webm
>>
>>2793342
I am very interested in that sexy lady on the right.
>>
File: menu-status.webm (1.4 MB, 1280x720)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB WEBM
>>2787985
changing equipment and combat skills

>>2789680
yeah, gamemaker is really bad for UI but it gets a lot easier once you learn / accept its limitations
>>
>>2794344
you can kill her
>>
How do I come up with good names
>>
File: Innawoods.png (712 KB, 1287x985)
712 KB
712 KB PNG
>>2782760
>haven't worked on my game in 6 weeks because of bullshit college schedule keeping me on campus for almost 12 hours monday to thursday
>Too tired to come up with new shit for my game on the weekend
>Anytime I do have enough energy I need to use it to study for an exam
>All I can do is go over and polish the story
>I have 10 more weeks to go until I'm free for winter break

Anyways now that I've gotten that blogpost out of me where can I go to get some advice on writing a story? I could ask here but I'm not sure how many people would try to get back to me.
>>
>>2794954
Read the anatomy of story by john truby
>>
>>2794720
Are her boobs really as big as I think they are or am I misinterpreting the image?
>>
>>2795496
yeah they're pretty big
big tiddy goth girl representation is important to me
>>
>>2794986
There's actually several books he should read, but also Dan Harmon's TED talk about his Story Circle (which is really just a simplified version of Campbell's Monomyth) would help him a ton too.
>>
File: 2022-10-03 overworld.webm (965 KB, 1280x720)
965 KB
965 KB WEBM
overworld system working again
>>
File: editor_date.webm (773 KB, 1312x696)
773 KB
773 KB WEBM
I have been working on putting the concept of dates in the editor.
Many RPGs like Personas now have the concept of calendar.
In the same map, depending on the current date some characters appear or not.
In the editor I've added a time bar that shows only the events that are within the current date.
>>
File: editor_date.png (17 KB, 802x632)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>2798036
And then in each event you can put the period in which it is active.
>>
>>2795583
Is there a way to mod them so they're REALLY big...?
>>
Okay, Ive got basic story beats down, gameplay looks rather fresh. Story is rather simple, its basically saving princess. Its heavily gameplay focused, princess wont take much of a "space", but Id like the "romance" to be somewhat special. IN what way? Id like for a player to be able to "tailor" her personality, at least to some degree, towards one of the archetypes. Im thinking doing 3 of those, but will down/upscale based on how time-consuming its going to get.
Now lies the question - what would be a good way to allow for the player to tailor her to his preference, without
1) being too obvious that THIS is going on
2) without being too obscure, like "if you gift her green blouse instead of yellow one, shes gonna become mommy GF".
Maybe theres some games, that have similiar mechanic?
>>
Tell me how retarded the idea is:

> Weapons and Armors have three stats: Protection (only for Armors), HP and Resilience
> Protection is added to the wearer's AC
> When someone attacks, if their roll is enough to surpass the defender's AC minus their Dexterity bonus, but not enough to surpass the total AC, the attack is considered Blocked, and not Evaded
> When an attack is Blocked, the damage that the attack would have inflicted is still rolled, but it will be applied to the defender's armor
> The armor's Resilience is subtracted from the damage, and if the result is greater than 0, the damage is subtracted from the Armor's HP
> The weapon will also receive damage though: in this case, the damage inflicted to the weapon will be equal to the armor's Resiliance, and reduced by the Weapon's Resiliance before being applied to HP
>If a weapon or armor's HP reaches 0, it becomes Broken: for weapons, this means a -2 to their accuracy and damage after the roll, and for armors means to have their Protection bonus cut to half.
>>
>>2798198
* to surpass the defender's AC minus their Protection bonus
>>
>>2798121
h-how big?

>>2798198
I hate weapon durability in general but this makes sense, as long as the rest of the game is equally as complex.
>>
>>2798198
Its a really good mechanic, but good implementation would be like that - for each hit, that damaged the armor, reduce armor protection by 1. Thus, even if enemy/hero is heavily armored, it is still possible to overcome said armor with enough grit and determination. Tho, Im icky on weapon durabilit, but you do you, idea is great.
>>
>>2798284
this is also a good idea, i think i could go for a middle ground:
> Armor HP is 81%-100%: Protection is at full capacity
> Armor HP is 61%-80%: Protection is reduced to 80%
> Armor HP is 41%-60%: Protection is reduced to 70%
> Armor HP is 21%-40%: Protection is reduced to 60%
> Armor HP is 1%-20%: Protection is reduced to 50%
> Armor HP is 0%: The Armor's Resilience won't protect you from incoming attacks

>>2798209
Depends but what you mean by complex: the game for combat is mostly a standard "4 niggas in a row" kind of system, but with some crpg mechanics adapted into it
>>
>>2798288
*by what you mean by complex, sorry
>>
>>2798181
Did you ever play bioshock 2 where you have to save or kill people and in the ending cutscene the girl you were trying to save will have different views on the world based on what you did
>fuck everyone
>help the innocent
>save everyone
>>
>>2794432

Those transitions look fucking nice but you need to speed them up. They feel way too floaty and it gives a very unpolished feeling. They look nice, just need that speed to feel better.
>>
>>2798350
Yeah, but I do think that would be a little to obvious. Although, gauge the player action in world, instead of action towad princess would be a good starting point, thank you for this.
>>
>>2798350
>>2798181
Okay, after reading some stuff up, Ive come to a conclusion that I can slim it down to 2 types - vanilla and femdom. How would you SUBTLY get to know from the player, that he would prefer femdom princess over vanilla?
>>
>>2798432
Perhaps you could allow the player to gift her weapons
>>
>>2798434
Do you mean that player can gift her different stuff, but if gifted weapons, hed go for a femdom route, or just gifting weapons, and depending on weapon type...?
>>
>>2798432
in other games I would say how often he wants to be the healer or play other submissive roles but I don't know if that applies meaningfully to you.
>>
>>2798441
Ok, ill give abit more info, cause that probably too confusing without it. The game starts with you saving the princess, losing powers in doing so, and the overall goal would be to reclaim said powers, while, sometimes, talking with said princess and watching sort-of romantic scenes unfold. No H.
So Id prefer it to be either through some sort of a options in conversation, or via some prompts in enviro? But I dont want the player to know, that the princess attitude is being shifted towards what the player prefer, but instead make it (at least a little bit) seems like "oh, she is exactly how I like em!". Its needed for the ending to make sense, hehe.
>>
>>2798437
the first one. Based on the kind of item you gift her, her "alignment" slides to one of the two ends.
>>
>>2798449
Not a bad idea per se, but heres 2 problems I have with that. First, player need to know that its even possible to gift the weapons, or else he just wont do it, thus losing the desired effect. Second, if we actually tell the player "yeah, btw, you can also gift weapons", it wont be subtle, and immediatly gonna tell that there is something going on. Ideally? Id make with some sort of a SPYWARE, that would scan browser history, but its unethical and not really appropriate lmao.
>>
What is a good engine I should look into if (a) I want to make a cRPG and (b) want to steal as many free assets as possible because I suck at art?
>>
>>2799109
unreal, it's best for realism and gives out the most free stuff. You will have the widest range of stuff to steal.

Both unreal and unity can make crpgs. I am not sure if anything else can.
>>
File: 69017772_p0.png (279 KB, 1000x1000)
279 KB
279 KB PNG
>>2798209
Really. Really. Big.
>>
For the time being my game can ONLY look like LSD dream emu, would you play that? I havent managed to make the other visual trick I wanted to work.
>>
>>2799166
You're not trying hard enough, anon. They can be bigger than that.
>>
Can I even make it without coomerbait?
>>
>>2799338
I'm addicted to Netcrack.
Graphics do not matter to me.
>>
>>2799166
sorry anon, that's simply too small for my taste.

>>2799343
judging from this thread, no.
>>
I wanted to implement a simple enough Row system:

> There's a front row and a back row
> People in front row will take damage in place of people in the back row until they're dead
> People in the back row can't attack with melee weapons, but ranged weapons and long ranged magic are fine
> Ranged weapons and magic also allow to target people in the back row
> You can spend an action in your turn to move between rows (since some healing or buffing magic has a melee range, a mage or cleric may need to move in the front row to aid the warrior)
> Some spells and abilities can pull targets in the front row or push them in the back row
> You can't be in the back row if you have no ally in the front row
>>
>>2799558
Wizardry tales of forsaken land
>>
>>2798036
Seems a bit restrictive, like what if you want to make an NPC only appear on Fridays?
>>
File: english_nail_clipper.png (17 KB, 240x160)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>2799755
I'm working on that right now (filtering events both by date and week day).
>>
File: 100586067_p15.png (3.07 MB, 2021x2951)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB PNG
>>2799342
>>2799513
Okay.
>>
How do I get good at pixel art?
>>
>>2799961
Practice, actually learn to draw before doing pixel art. You can learn to abstract but if you don't know how to abstract it won't look as good.
>>
>>2799777
Actually I thought about it right after posting, what I'd do is keep the window he can appear in as normal, and then add something like
>if (day = friday) appear
>>
File: english_first_summons.png (14 KB, 240x160)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2800004
I'm going to do both (visual filter and week day script conditions).
>>
File: editor_week_days.png (25 KB, 802x654)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>2800004
Done, week days added to event editor.
>>
>>2800523
okay, now what if you want to have them take time off for 4th of July?
>>
File: english_rush_time.png (29 KB, 240x160)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>2800533
Below time shit there's a state filter, so you can still show/hide events for special cases like that.
>>
>>2800538
what if it's raining? AND 4th of july, at the same time?
>>
File: raining.png (24 KB, 802x654)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>2800542
Pic related for 4th of May (game ends before 4th of July).
>>
I wonder if I should get that crpg bundle or if I am just deluding myself into thinking it will help.

Most of those games are old as fuck and janky, aren't they?
>>
Any artist anon here willing to do commissions for a project? Portrait for characters.
>>
>>2799109
Unity
>>
File: 1632050516371.png (123 KB, 639x607)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>2799109
Also btw, if you're new to game dev, which I think you are if you ask what game engine is good, you can't make a CRPG.

RPGs are extremely complex games. You would need a leveling system, an inventory system, a combat system, a movement system, a dialogue system, a quest system, saving and loading, tons of characters, tons of dialogue lines, tons of enemies, tons of items, tons of quests, cutscenes, a big open 3d world and it must be fun. If you really want to make an RPG, I'd say keep it extremely simple and short and maybe do it in 2D instead and make a few simple games before you attempt making an RPG.

You can also go full retard and try to make the next Disco Elysium as your first game but its not going to happen
>>
>>2793342
Hey anon, any chance you could upload a build of your game any time soon? Honestly looks interesting and I'd like to try it out and give you some feedback on the game itself rather than just on screenshots
>>
File: FEXEuYvX0AENWrA.jpg (374 KB, 1920x1080)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>2801788
hey, i've got a public build out on my itch page here:
https://osurpzz.itch.io/tower-of-kalemonvo
the build is 1 month old at this point, and i typically update it every 2-3 months - so it wont have the new ui, wands with ranged attack, the new damage calculation, the new lighting, new combat arts, etc - basically won't have what the screenshots here show off, since all that is still WIP
there's also a nasty dungeon generation bug in the Upper Halls, but people usually don't make it that far
let me know what you think!
>>
>>2801785
>You can also go full retard and try to make the next Disco Elysium
Yeah that's what I am going for, thanks for the encouragement.
>>
>>2801979
It's not worth replying to frogs.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.