[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Chrono_Trigger.jpg (56 KB, 370x270)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Name a better RPG
>>
>>2778786
Bubsy 3D
>>
>>2778786
Skyrim.
>>
>>2778786
Violated Heroine
>>
Memes aside, for JRPGs? They'd have almost all come after CT. Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy (insert your favorite one here) (mine would be XII). As for Western games? Man, that's apples and oranges. I guess I'd say Deus Ex or New Vegas. If you count Action JRPGs I'd guess I'd say Ever Oasis or Star Ocean 2.
>>
>>2778786
It's legitimately just fine. I feel so alone in this opinion, everyone either praises it as the best thing ever or is a contrarian who states it's terrible. It's an okay experience that's good while it lasts and replayable every few years in a few afternoons, but that's all it is. It doesn't stand out to me at all as that interesting.
>>
>>2778923
I mostly agree with you, except that I'd say it's excellent within its particular niche of being an accessible entry-level JRPG suitable for anyone over the age of 6 or 7 (basically as soon as you are old enough to read the text). Especially if you compare it to the shit that 7 year olds often wind up playing instead (Pokemon).
>>
>>2778932
I feel like that's the exact reason I found it so dull. It feels like it was designed for mass appeal, but that's only made it suffer because it doesn't stand out or feel unique at all. I do agree that nearly everyone can play it and enjoy it at least a bit, but man did I find it hard to truly love it because of that. I have no issue with such games existing and I did enjoy it, but holy shit are the fans insufferable with the constant praise.
>>
>>2778923
Yeah it's one of those games that's very hard to find any faults with but at the same time it doesn't have anything that it's the "best" at
>>
>>2778949
Fixing the timeline in the lategame sidequest phase is a really, really cool bit. Maybe it's been matched idk
>>
>>2778786
FF6 offers more choice in how characters play and how parties are composed while having a similarly open end game. CT is a better game, but in terms of rpgs, FF6 is better. FF5 is even better than either one if what you love if build autism.
>>
>>2778786
Hordes of the Underdark
>>
>>2778786
Superhero League of Hoboken
>>
>>2778786
Impossible
>>
>>2778932
It's the best at that. God-tier entry level "retro" jrpg. Even FF6 which I prefer is considerably more jank and less smooth with a more convoluted storyline.

People do forget how great it sounded and looked for the time, had characters who actually just took out their weapon when getting close to monsters you can actually see on screen, and how cool the double and triple techs were. Looking at it now it's a glorified SMRPG battle system really.

Dull and just fine are going too far imo but I think we need to remember just how much that excellent presentation gets you. They didn't get bogged down in time travel ramification stuff, just at the very beginning and a few little endgame quests. Simple clear story with distinct characters and locations.
>>
File: DarkSun.jpg (804 KB, 1401x1920)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
>>
>>2778786
Picrel is not a RPG.
>>
>>2781163
no thanks bro I like girls
>>
>>2781173
He's challenging you to battle, not asking you to fuck, anon. I mean, when the first thought you have is that the half-naked man holding a weapon and grimacing is inviting you have sexual intercourse with him, you might have been quite a bit more tainted with the gay than you yourself perceive.
>>
>>2778786
Baldurs gate
>>
>>2778897
Pretty accurate. I’d even go so far as to say it may be the one game that really kicked off a golden age of jrpg games. When the genre started going downhill is anyones guess (I still find gems from time to time). Now it just seems like one good one is released every other year or so with a few remakes and the rest underwhelming.
>>
>>2778897
>They'd have almost all come after CT
FFV and DQIII came out before CT.
>>
>>2778786
Metal Max
>>
File: homeboys.jpg (27 KB, 480x401)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>2781149
My nigga
>>
>>2778786
It's... boring af.
There's barely any sense of agency or variable events. You walk bunch of pre-made characters through predefined route with thightly scripted events and fights.
It has okay story and characters, but as a game It's greatly disappointing.
>>
>>2783567.
Read the OP
>Name a better RPG
Go on then. If it's so bad, you can name at least one that's better. And don't cop out saying "all of them", name one RPG that you enjoyed that you consider better.
>>
>>2778786
I thought about it and I can't think of one that's more perfect than Trigger. Lots of games have better battle systems, lots of games have as good music, but they don't have the perfect blend of everything else.
I think two things that set Trigger apart in particular are the characters and the scope of the story. Those two things elevate it above other JRPGs and make it so memorable.
If I had to think of a game that feels on the level with it, to me, they would be other games on the SNES. I think Earthbound is almost there. Honestly, Mario RPG comes close too, Seiken Densetsu 3.
Other titles I thought of are Grandia 2, but the smaller scope of the story counts against it. Chrono Cross of course, but it's so much more flawed. Final Fantasy 7 and 9, but they are bigger so they have more room to fail. Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Wild Arms, they're up there, very high quality, they just don't have that tightness, that balance, that 'perfectness'.
>>
>>2778786
Isn't somebody supposed to say "not an RPG," or something?
Do I have to do everything myself?
>>
>>2784050
You can poopy your little pants and it won't get you any closer to jrpgs being removed from this board.
>>
>>2778786
Summertime Sega
>>
Genshin Impact
>>
>>
>>2778786
Most Megaten games.
>>
>>2784148
>like three Megaten games
ftfy
>>
>>2784165
>gets his opinions from Ecelebs and youtubers
You’re a retard
>>
>>2778786
Ask me how I know you've played less than 5 RPGs in your life.

Reddit Trigger is to JRPGs what Mario Kart is to racing games; a game for casuals to dip their feet in the genre then go back to watching netflix.
>>
>>2781467
Hence almost all.
>>
>>2784069
Just report and move on, the people who think JRPGs aren't RPGs should be banned. It's legit to report them for trolling outside of /b/ or off topic as you see fit.
>>
>>2784168
He may get his opinions from them, but I don't, and from experience there's only a handful of MegaTen gems that're good and not a whole lot of em are better than CT. The good ones that I played are MT, MT2, SMT IF, SMT3, P3, P4, P5, SH, and SJ. The only one that I would say is as cohesive a package as Chrono Trigger is SMT3, SJ, P3, and P5. I don't feel any one of them is better overall than CT.
>>
I’ve been playing CT for a little while now; I think I’m nearing the endgame. It has charming writing, good music, very detailed pixel art, quick pacing, varied set pieces, and the overworld battles are really refreshing compared to its contemporaries (it feels like only in the last gen did turn-based JRPGs start actually doing that more often like DQXI, PLA, and YLaD if that counts), but my main problem with it is just that the combat, while very fast paced, is actually kinda boring and simple. There’s very little real strategy with building characters or using buffs and status effects; most of the time you’re just selecting whatever move does the most damage, or with weaker enemies, just spamming the basic attack until they’re dead.
>>
>>2778786
Chingchong Quest 12: Dog Eater.
>>
>>2784458
Sounds like more than one. CT was alright, it's certainly your opinion that it's the best.
>>
>>2784514
Absolutely, opinion is all what it comes down to. Personally I don't like monster catcher games so MegaTen was never gonna be top of anything for me. We all have our likes and dislikes.
>>
>>2778786
It can't even beat FF6, and BoF2 is the superior SNES RPG than both anyways.

https://boeingthegreytabby.blogspot.com/2022/08/final-fantasy-6-vs-chrono-trigger-analysis-critique.html
>>
>>2785674
Bof II's encounter rate is fucking horrible, it makes the game unplayable. Sorry man, but your contrarianism is showing. At least Shining Force was doing unique shit at the time.
>>
>>2778786
Pokemon Crystal
>>
DQ2
>>
>>2785674
>https://boeingthegreytabby.blogspot.com/2022/08/final-fantasy-6-vs-chrono-trigger-analysis-critique.html
Jesus christ all that text barely any mention of gameplay or mechanics at all. It's entirely story 'analysis.'
>>
>>2785689
Pussy cant handle encounter rates. Everytime
>>
>>2785812
Both of those have mediocre to boring gameplay so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>2785812
Both of those games are terrible gameplay and are made for people who don't care about it, so it's not a surprise.
>>
File: 1636909571278.jpg (322 KB, 1280x1022)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>2778786
>Name a better RPG
Literally any WRPG

JRPGs will forever be mogged on every level by the west.
>>
>>2785892
Neck yourself warpiggie spamming scum
>>
>>2785892
>Using LGR of all people as a basedjak
You have no clue how fucking stupid you are.
>>
>>2778923
What's "fine" about the gameplay?

>>2781161
>Looking at it now it's a glorified SMRPG battle system really.
Look at this guy. That's just sad.
>>
>>2778786
anything other than some jrpg no one plays anymore.
>Magic candle
>>
>>2785674
>and BoF2 is the superior SNES RPG than both anyways.
Good god no. What an absolutely abhorrent opinion. BoF2 is a grindy fucking mess.
>>
>>2778786
>>2785892
>Movie game westoids getting uppity again.
Today I will remind them.
https://pastebin.com/NpunvYGH

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.