[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 5292592.jpg (204 KB, 541x767)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Is it any good? The only thing stopping me from getting it is that the environments just look really dull.
>>
>>2774201
yes
don't listen to any post made after mine
>>
>>2774201
You first need to provide your bona fides when it comes to RPGs and jRPGs. What do you like? What are dealbreakers for you? What are your favorite games? What are your favorite types of combat?
>>
>>2774206
i like all of them
>>
>>2774209
Liking everything is liking nothing. Functionally, it means you don't exist as a person, but rather as a sponge.
>>
>>2774201
Woah, it's the most divisive bof game ever. Let the shitflinging begin. Fight!
>>
PSA: This thread is bait. Don't engage. Let the "attack the critic" schizo rest.
>>
>>2774222
You're literally the schizo that shows up in every thread and shitposts for the entire 100+ posts, as you will do in this thread as well.
Observe.
>>
>>2774201
Play it and decide whether you like it for yourself.
And remember, even if it FEELS like you don't have enough time/d-counter to explore/return to town, you do, and doing so will SAVE you d-counter in the long run.
>>
>>2774201
there's actually a good variety of areas and quite a bit of color, there's just an intentional omission of brighter greens that gets to people and one or two areas are mostly brown because underground

the soundtrack fills in pretty hard and all the tracks are bangers
>>
>>2774201
Counterpoint, maybe. Are you Pro or Anti-Skub?
>>
>>2774201
>is the game that single-handedly burried an entire franchise any good?
No.
>>
Oh boy, another DQ topic! I can't wait for another 300 posts of "filtered" "attack the critic" and "schizo" These threads should be banned at this point.
>>
>>2774442
Let's be real, IV had a pretty large hand in that death as well. Both games sold abysmally.
>>
>>2774448
FF8, DQ, and CC debates are older than this website. Tradition demands that they be allowed.
>>
>>2774480
Oh boy, here we go
>FF8 Junction system is a disgrace
>DQ shame that fifth game was never made
>CC leveling sucks and shift to 3d was a mistake
>>
>>2774483
for me it's
>FF8
>let's make a romance focused story with the most unlikable cast possible
>DQ
>hey, you know that game about being a dragon. let's make it about trying to not be one.
>CC
>a main character so bland i preferred being the furry. oh and here's a bajillion differently skinned shallow party members without combo attacks. magic sucks too.
>>
>>2774213
As long as it's a sponge stuffed into the panties of a fat bubble butt, thick thigh Brazilian goddess, soaking up all dem good juices, then it's not such a bad existence.
>>
>>2774201
It's great. Good gameplay, decent music, great atmosphere. People crying, weeping, and dilating in the thread are retards and will face the wall one day.
>>
>>2774510
....oh, this is about chrono chross. I was wondering when zack became a furry in crisis core
>>
>>2774201
It's been underappreciated for so long that at this moment it's probably underrated.
>>
>>2778622
>It's been overappreciated for so long that at this moment it's probably overrated.
>>
>>2778622
It only gets worse and less relevant with time. Only the d-counter stands out now and that's about as uninteresting as you can get.
>>
File: 1644554689439.png (1.12 MB, 660x885)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>2774201
It's a good game but a bad Breath of Fire game
>>
>>2779007
>Only the d-counter stands out now and that's about as uninteresting as you can get.
I'll say this as someone who didn't grow up with BoF, and only started emulating them recently for the fun of it, but BoF in general doesn't really stand out to me, except maybe for 3-4-5's stories. Even the dragon transformation gimmick is not that impressive, both in (except maybe in 5 simply because its basically a nuke) and out of the game .
>>
>>2779823
3 has you playing as a kid and then grow up to an adult.
3 has fairy village.
3 has greater diversity of races (both playable and non-playable) that are not just "elf" or "dwarf", or just someone with wings for ears.
3 has dragon genes with different party dragon transformations, tons of dragon forms, etc.
And more.

It has way more things that makes it stand out now compared to modern JRPGs, unlike 5. especially with the ever increasing popularity of roguelike/roguelite type games now. Even just the world of 5 is boring and bland as shit, while 3 has stuff like a farm that bio engineer vegetables which turns into monsters, with one of your party members being an onion.
>>
It's one of the few video games ever which I managed to complete.
Happened because I decided to rush through the game since I found out there were a shit ton of secret rooms which I failed to open, so I wasn't going to get a perfect playthrough anyhow.
(I didn't know until later that they are unlocked in subsequent playthroughs)
>>
File: FXey2t1WIAMNLHH.jpg (29 KB, 355x427)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Truly underrated game.
>>
Is it called dragon quarter because it quartered (butchered) the franchise?
>>
>>2779831
Breath of Fire has always been painfully generic and generally criticized for it. It wouldn't stand out today, unlike 5, which regardless of opinions or agendas, is a unique, standout entry in the genre.
>>
>>2783453
>is a unique, standout entry in the genre.
Oh fuck off. Nobody even knows the game exists outside of this shitty board. It was a quickly forgotten entry in a b-list rpg series.
>>
>>2783526
It's about as "forgotten" as the rest of the series, except people like you make it the most widely discussed one out of spite.
>>
>>2783530
Some wild assumptions you're making.
>>
>>2783531
Exclude yourself from the "people like you" and apply it to the people who do nothing but bring up this game in every BoF thread. Still true, whether you're one of them or not, which I assumed you were based on your response.
>>
>>2783453
>, is a unique, standout entry in the genre.
Apart from the D-counter, nothing stands out. The D-counter is also just more or less a timer that also fills when you use your Dragon form (not new to the series and this is the worst version of it in the series), which isn't anything special and is more off-putting for most (punishes you for doing the "cool" thing).

You're delusional if you think 5 stands out more than say 3, when 5 is so incredibly bland and generic in terms of almost everything. Even the world and races have been stripped down and made more brown, dull and limited.

2, 3 and 4 are the most popular and well known games in the series now.
2 because it's easily accessible on systems like Switch.
3 and 4 because they were re-released (on PSP and PS3).
The BoF games that come up the least are 1 and 5, which you would know if left 4chan where a few autists shitposts about it every now and then.

It's liek you're desperate to re-affirm your own belief that it's some masterpiece and that everyone knows about it and loves it. Which is just delusional.
>>
>>2783538
Get help, bro.
>>
>>2783562
Dragon Quarter as a whole is one of the most unique games in the genre, and that won't change regardless of what your actual opinion of the game is. 5 does indeed stand out more than any other game in the series.

>It's liek you're desperate to re-affirm your own belief that it's some masterpiece and that everyone knows about it and loves it. Which is just delusional.
You appear to be having an extended argument with yourself. I can't respond to this level of projection, and I won't beyond this brief paragraph.
>>2783571
Do facts offend you so? Every BoF thread is hijacked by people discussing this game, both by people who like it and by people who hate it. It's the only game that still has relevance in today's gaming community. This controversial game is the series' legacy.
>>
>>2783573
>Dragon Quarter as a whole is one of the most unique games in the genre

If you want to signal how little you know of the genre and how few games you've played, you succeeded.
Suffice to say, there is no point in trying to discuss this with someone so utterly clueless and delusional.
Thre are thousands of older, newer, more niche, handheld, PC, japan only, sales flops and more that are infinitely more unique.

I could start listing a bunch of them, but you will just pretend to know about them and claim they're not unqiue.
For example, Baroque is a somewhat similar game to DQ and came out before it. But I could go on and on, but what's the point when you've already made up your mind.

> 5 does indeed stand out more than any other game in the series.
He says, while not saying why.
>>
I hope capcom does a breath of fire legacy collection and includes all 5 games someday
>>
>>2783614
No, friend, it's a unique game, and even if as you say it's not one of a kind, which it is, then it still stick out among the rest as a standout title, being anything but generic, so you don't really have a leg to stand on to say otherwise. You seem very emotional about this subject.
>>
>>2783614
remember when valkyria chronicles came out and you pretended to like it because it was like dragon quarter but instead it wasn't and actually it was an even easier puzzle game
>>
>>2784425
Valkyria Chronicles is basically 3D Worms/Hogs of War with shallow RPG progression mechanics.
>>
>>2784427
yes, it is an easy puzzle game

like i said
>>
>>2783684
Wouldn't be too optimistic. Moogles & Mods (formerly Video Game Research and Modding) are working on updating and modding the PC ports of BoF3 and 4, though.
>>
DQ is a dragon turd. Gentle reminder that only contrariatards meme themselves into liking it.
>>
>>2784538
>IP count didn't go up
Another great contribution to the thread, sir. Truly the best on /vrpg/.
>>
Thread's shit, let's look at more in-depth at DQ.

Field:
>Enemies are visible on the field and can be attacked to initiate combat with an extra turn, works both ways
>You can set or throw various traps (a maximum of 3 at a time) and bombs to gather, debilitate, damage/kill, separate or repel enemies on the field
>Undetonated/uneaten traps can be picked back up or be used directly in combat by interacting with them
>Breakable objects drop randomized loot from a set loot table in each area
>Danger rooms lock you in until you've killed all the enemies
>Locked treasure chests require keys from specific enemies to open and typically contain equipment, more inventory space or skills
>Several weaker enemies can be killed outright with field attacks to gain items and Party EXP

Progression:
>Standard EXP-based leveling system from 1 to 50, levels affect base stats
>Party EXP is acquired from combat based on your performance rating, field kills and random item drops, can be used to level up from the party menu, also carries over to NG+/SOL Restart/Restore
>Permanent stat-up items can be found and stolen
>Skills are divided between weapon and shield categories and are learned via items found, stolen or purchased, and assigned to empty equipment slots, with most weapons having at least 1 locked preassigned skill, sometimes unique or more powerful than skills you can learn permanently at the time, especially for Nina, gaining skills such as Valhalla early on
>Found and stolen equipment has to be identified by an NPC before you can use it, selling identified equipment is always profitable and one of the main sources of zenny
>Equipment has weight and reach, affecting your speed and range of attacks
>Skills have different hit boxes, ranging from cylindrical, to fan and circular shapes
>More inventory space is gradually unlocked via rare backpacks, giving you an extra page at a time
>Save Tokens are used to save the game, SOL Restore is an infinite source, should you run out
>>
>>2784542
Combat:
>Turn-based, battles take place directly on the field where you initiate combat, allowing for tactics such as Lin shooting a slower close-range enemy for a big positional advantage, allowing you to win battles like these before the enemy can reach you
>AP is used for both movement and attacks, unused AP carries over between rounds up to a maximum of twice your base AP, AP from extra turns doesn't carry over
>items can be used repeatedly without limit during a turn and cost no AP
>You can equip 3 weapons, 3 shields and 3 armors on each character and swap between them once a round, giving you the ability to prepare for every situation, whether to exploit elemental weaknesses or defend against specific damage types and ailments, or just to use different skills in your combos
>Combat revolves around positioning strategy and setting up combos for bonus damage, the more unique skills you use before running out of AP, the higher the damage multiplier
>Ryu focuses on dealing damage and has a few positional options, such as Kick, a large amount of AoE, and of course the nuclear D-Dive option
>Nina eventually gets some solid direct damage spells, but primarily focuses on setting powerful magical traps for the other two characters to push and pull enemies into for absurd damage, their combo multiplier affecting trap damage
>Lin applies detrimental status effects and to enemies, and pushes and pulls with her combos, later gets Shatter!, which is one of the strongest skills in the game. She also has a combo that steals from the enemy without having to rely on the shield skill, which is important, as similarly to FF9, DQ has a lot of unique equipment and skills only acquired via stealing
>Some enemies have Absolute Defense (ABD), which you have to deal a certain amount of damage against in your combo(each time) before actually breaking through and hurting them, making buff item and AP accumulation vital for these fights unless you use D-Dive
>>
>>2784355
>claims it's very unique
>can't say why
very convincing.
>>
>>2784429
DQ combat is as shallow and generic as you can get. So you must love shallow puzzle games then. So it should be right up your alley!
>>
>>2784544
D-Dive mechanics:
>D-Dive (2% per turn, including transformation) itself makes you invulnerable in combat, gives you infinite turns and lets you move freely without using AP
>D-Dash (slowly increases the D-Counter by decimals at a time, can tap the button instead to use it more efficiently) can be used on the field to bypass or gather enemies for fast AoE killing in combat as a more aggressive, fast alternative to traps
>2 - 3 D-Charge (2% per use) and Twister (1.5%) can be used together to kill any enemy in the main game in 1 turn, including the final bosses
>D-Breath (becomes stronger and more costly to use the longer you hold down the button) doesn't have many uses outside of the final battle because of how reliably you can gather enemies with either D-Dash or traps, and then nuke them with D-Charge/Hurricane (1.25%) if you need D-Dive, whether out of desperation or because it can be more effective to just gather every enemy on a floor together in a corner and smash them with D-Dive. Useful for Jack-Box SOL Restore farming
>The D-Counter increases by 0.01% every 20 or so steps, and each turn in combat, making it negligible in the grand scheme of things

Fairie/Ant Colony:
>Same as in BoF 3 where you manage and build a town, hire and train various shopkeepers and explorers, leading to unique skills and equipment, as well as services such as a bank where you can store your zenny and gain interest, or trade currencies
>Finishing excavation leads to not only more rooms to build stores, bu an optional 50-floor dungeon where you can fight a superboss at the end and get the best skills and equipment in the game
>Progress transfers to NG+/SOL Restore/Restart, can be accessed using a reusable Fairie Drop from anywhere as long as the floor has been cleared of enemies
>>
>>2784550
SOL system/Replay Value:
>A large amount of new areas can be accessed on NG+ depending on your D-Ratio, which is essentially the score you get at the end of the game
>25 new story cutscenes are added to NG+
>SOL Restore can be used to grind Party EXP (and items if you have access to storage), by restoring your previous save with all the newly acquired Party EXP and a set of healing items and Save Token replacing your inventory at the time of using SOL Restore
>Zenny, Party EXP, skills, items in storage, equipped weapons, shields and armors all transfer to NG+ regardless of method
>Centre has more paths than you can take in a single playthrough, with different Regent bosses to fight
>Kokon-Horay

Misc:
>Many enemies have unique mechanics, such as stealing the item they carry changing how they fight, or killing them with specific attacks or in specific ways, making them drop unique or more valuable items, e.g., Elemental Goo dropping equipment based on the element used to kill them, Jack-Box enemies dropping massive amounts of zenny based on how many times you hit them before they use Jack-Pod and if you kill them before they reset, Rafflesia powering up when hit with magic, increasing its level and the amount of EXP gained when killed (also a mechanic in IV against some robots as far as I remember)
>Tantra fights differently based on whether or not you kill one or both of his companions, stealable skill and item drops changing as well

In conclusion, schizos and shitposters, as a whole, Dragon Quarter is a unique, mechanically cohesive game that stands out more than any other Breath of Fire game, and indeed, the vast majority of the genre, which is notoriously generic and stagnant. Love it or hate it, facts are facts. Of course, you can still bitch and moan about the more subjective aspects of the game, such as its aesthetic, love it or hate it, facts are facts. :3
>>
>>2784544
>items can be used repeatedly without limit during a turn and cost no AP
That's actually too OP, they should have limited items consumption.
>>
>>2784557
It would be if you had an infinite number of items to use, but both your inventory and funds are heavily restricted. Unless you grind using SOL Restore, then you get can get hundreds of thousands of Zenny from the Jack-Boxes about a third into the game.
>>
>>2784540
DQ a shit
>>
>>2784884
Another wonderful contribution that totally doesn't make anti-DQfags look mentally unstable.
>>
>>2785427
As if DQ fans are stable. Probably the most unstable and obsessed posters on this board.
>>
>>2774201
i tried several times but always end abandon it, i dont think its good gameplaywise but everything else is amazing so thats why its hard to hate it
>>
>>2783573
>Every BoF thread is hijacked by people discussing this game
It's a Breath of Fire game you fucking retarded. People aren't "hijacking" anything. Stop trying to fucking control things you have no right to.
>>
>>2785448
This thread shows the exact opposite of the narrative you're attempting to push.
>>2785499
This is why context is important to grasp before responding.
>>
>>2785506
>This thread shows the exact opposite
Every thread shows how insane DQ fans are, including this one.
We just now had someone claiming DQ is the most unique JRPG ever made and then didn't even say why. Heck, you're probably the schizo that's always prowling these threads.
>>
>>2785524
>insane DQ fans are
Anon I think you need to rethink what you mean by "insanity." Why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>2785532
>makes constant threads about dq
>doesn't discuss the game
>opts to play the victim card, proclaim the game is the best since sliced bread, shits on the rest of the series, calls everyone that disagrees with them retarded
>not insane

>Why are you even in this thread?
You're right, no point in sharing the same room with the insane.
>>
>>2785524
>Every thread shows how insane DQ fans are, including this one.
Again, it shows the exact opposite. Read the thread. The anti-DQfags (You) are the ones who display irrational, schizophrenic behavior.
>>2785538
Not that guy, by the way, but
>doesn't discuss the game
>>2784542
>>2784544
>>2784550
>>2784553
Feel free to use any of these posts as a basis to provide arguments as to why you hold the opinions that you hold or to facilitate game discussion. Keep in mind that we know you base your opinions on having played the game for an hour 20 years ago, as you've demonstrated countless times in these threads when you default to playing the victim card to deflect from this fact. Nigga, you didn't even know DQ had the same Fairie Village mini game as BoF3 when you compared the two when arguing with someone days ago, and you unlock that shit a few hours into the game, lmao.
>>
>>2785542
>>doesn't discuss the game

those posts are not discussion and it's clearly made by one of the bof5 schizos as we can see here >>2784553
>In conclusion, schizos and shitposters, as a whole, Dragon Quarter is a unique, mechanically cohesive game that stands out more than any other Breath of Fire game, and indeed, the vast majority of the genre, which is notoriously generic and stagnant. Love it or hate it, facts are facts. Of course, you can still bitch and moan about the more subjective aspects of the game, such as its aesthetic, love it or hate it, facts are facts. :3

why would anyone try to engage in discussion when someone already shows how heavily biased they are and that they already made up their mind.
you discuss something to arrive at a conclusion, not to defend the ideas you already believe until the bitter end
you will now claim everyone but bof5 fans discusses the game, singing the same schizo tune, because you're close minded
>>
>>2785553
Those posts are entirely objective assessments of DQ's various mechanics.
>why would anyone try to engage in discussion when someone already shows how heavily biased they are and that they already made up their mind.
Now this right here is simply amazing. This is what I've been telling you in several other threads when you ignore discussion to play the victim card by claiming you're being attacked. You refuse to discuss the game, because you can't discuss it. You've just provided another example. Do continue dragging this conversion on forever by repeating yourself once again.
>>
>>2785559
>>2785553
Oh, and you forgot to address the fact that you didn't know DQ had one of the features you praised BoF 3 for having. You know, the one you gain access to less than a third into DQ. Surely you're not so schizophrenic that you're here shitposting furiously about a game you actually didn't play? Haha, surely not...
>>
>>2774451
4's bad sales were not because the game was bad.
>>
>>2785559
can you explain what discussion can be had with someone that openly states there is nothing to discuss and that they have made up their mind
>>
>>2785573
No, no, anon. There's nothing to discuss. With you. You ALWAYS disengage from the topic and start deflecting the moment you're presented with in-game discussion, screaming and shouting about you, the critic, being attacked, instead of your arguments. Having experienced this behavior of yours in several threads, I've generally decided not to engage in discussion with you at all, and thus you've concluded that I "don't discuss the game." I mean, you're here doing the same thing again. Deflecting, refusing to engage when presented with in-game discussion, calling everyone else schizophrenic and insane.

Still not addressing the fact that you lack early game information about DQ, by the way. What discussion can possibly be had with people who fundamentally make bad faith arguments. This is, of course, an entirely wasted effort as you lack self-awareness. You may not have presence of mind to identify that you've become a schizoposter, anon, but most observers do, and this is your dwelling.
>>
I'd love to argue about the game with somebody, but I haven't played it in so many years that I can't. I just remember renting it, playing it for 20 hours or so, not liking the vibe, and never playing it again. I have a fairly good memory about games I don't like usually, but this one didn't stick. Well, that's my blogpost, cya!
>>
>>2785608
It emulates alright aside from some slowdown when aiming big aoe attacks.
>>
>>2785590
>No, no, anon. There's nothing to discuss. With you
yes, clearly. especially whe you stated
>In conclusion, schizos and shitposters, as a whole, Dragon Quarter is a unique, mechanically cohesive game that stands out more than any other Breath of Fire game, and indeed, the vast majority of the genre, which is notoriously generic and stagnant. Love it or hate it, facts are facts. Of course, you can still bitch and moan about the more subjective aspects of the game, such as its aesthetic, love it or hate it, facts are facts. :3
where you openly admit you think your opinions are facts and admit you're not going to have your mind changed. that the statements you made you consider facts. all of it apart from visuals.
if you're not open to having your ideas changed, then you're close-minded and not someone that can discuss things with others. discussions are not about convincing someone else that your idea is the right one.
the best mindset to have in a discussion is to want to be proven wrong and even fill in for the person you're discussing with if they get stumped, misremember things, can't think of good examples or w/e. unless you just consider it some immature you vs them scenario where you need to force your ideas on others and it's about winning.
in short, no you do not actually want to "discuss", you want to tell others why you think your ideas are "facts" and objectively right.

>You ALWAYS disengage
literally so schizo you think there's only 1 person on the internet.
you only proved that yes, bof5 fans are indeed insane. or at the very least you the anon in this thread definately is.

but hey, if someone that is not insane wants to discuss them game then i'm all for it. too bad you're not it, though.
>>
>>2785739
>yes, clearly. especially whe you stated
Your grasp of the English language appears to be lacking. DQ being unique is what is a factual statement. You're nitpicking misinterpreted snippets to avoid having a discussion for the aforementioned reasons. A very predictable, convenient approach when you can't formulate a believable argument or take on the subject without outing yourself as a clueless shitposter, as always.
>Of course, you can still bitch and moan about the more subjective aspects of the game
Go ahead, and be sure to address why you didn't know about a basic, early-game DQ mechanic that ties into its replay focused progression after being this combative about the game for so long. You've ignored this request a bunch of times now.
>literally so schizo you think there's only 1 person always schizoposting in these threads in the same manner
No need for pretense. You and I are the only ones autistic enough not to walk away from this shit, thread after thread. Everyone else comes and goes. There COULD be 2 Discord butt buddies coordinating their shitposting, but you've repeated your usual catchphrases and interchangeably continued arguments in both posting styles within the same time windows in previous threads on both /v/ and /vrpg/, so it's far more likely it's one very obsessed schizo. I walked in on you (two, kek,) accusing others of being me for for hundreds of posts before I poked fun at you near the bump limit when I saw the thread. If this level of obsession isn't insanity, I don't know what is. That really is what zoomer retards call "rent free." If this sounds insane to you, that's because this is the level of insanity you operate at, and I agree, it's completely fucking bonkers.
>>
Faggots writing essays over this bland ass game
>>
>>2785824
No, it's just one autist in every thread. This board already knows this game is shit.
>>
>>2785826
>No, it's just one autist in every thread.
Historically, this is untrue, although I am attempting to actually discuss the game with your retards today, which is why I broke the game down for you to facilitate discussion. Alas, it appears bringing objectivity and critical thinking into this discussion was a mistake, as it appears it has dissuaded the people who usually bump these threads endlessly from responding.
>>
>>2785824
this ass game killed the franchise for good
>>
>>2785841
>objectivity and critical thinking
lol
>>
I wish there was another game with similar combat. I think it could be interesting with a couple more mechanics and if there wasn't an instant win button.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.