[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Daggerfall.png (1.84 MB, 1340x752)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
Just started a new game
>>
Me too, then I remembered how boring and copy pasted the game is. Your mods look like shit by the way.
>>
>>2770726
What about this game causes so much seethe?
>>
>>2770727
Have you ever seen plebs lashing out on people who're smarter than they are? Daggerfall is yet another instance of that same pattern.
>>
>>2770731
>video games
>'hurrr this game is smarter'
Dude are you ok
>>
>>2770721
Why does your game look like it's made of papier-mâché
>>
>>2770734
>Dude are you ok
I could ask you the same thing:
>'hurrr this game is smarter'
Never said that, projecting retard.
>>
>>2770721
>>2770727
It's not seethe it's boredom. Todd and Bethesda have managed to somehow master the art of making the blandest, emptiest and boring game design imaginable become not only a universal critically acclaimed commercial success but somehow continuously trick young impressionable people into believing its art and mastery too for multiple generations. Ever hear the saying " there's a lot of dumb motherfuckers out there"? or "ignorance us bliss"? How about, and this one's for the ages
"OP is a faggot".
>>
File: E8Hcj2cWUAcabtL.jpg (45 KB, 612x536)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2770749
>>
>>2770759
>Posts something online
>people reply
>AHHHHH!!!! DONT REPLY TO ME THE INTERNET IS MY PERSONAL DIARY!!!!
Or maybe just dont start threads?
Just make a txt file and write your thoughts there?
>>
>>2770759
Nigger I didn't even enter the thread this is a slow board and your shit stays on the front page for hours, how could you even avoid this garbage without filters, I already have dozens already and you still find more ways to talk about Bethesda garbage. Biggest most popular threads here that are 90% of the time on the front page are Morrowind, New Vegas. Everything I said was true and you are all smoothbrain faggots.
>>
File: 1623334274068.jpg (47 KB, 556x798)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2770763
>I'm mad because people are smarter than me
And here we go again.
>>
retard
>>
>>2770721
Damn, that Unity shit looks so bad.
>>
>>2770774
>ad populum
If this is what you call smart then you'll be stuck on this website, in these shitty boring and completely devoid of any meaningful discussion type of threads about equally bland and souless media for a very very long time.
>>
>>2770788
Opposed to how great the OG looks, huh?
>>
>>2770761
but why do you reply
people only reply when they care is some way
I dont replay to any random thread and neither do you
daggerfall makes people mad and its pretty funny
>>
>>2770797
because it costs nothing for me and it wastes your time and mental capacity to take it personally, deconstruct it, defend it, reply with wit, ridicule, to hold on to it instead of having the realization how meaningless it is and how it literally doesn't matter

you fags build entire identities around meaningless shit and that's why it's so easy to poke holes in you and your dumb shit
>>
>>2770802
Exactly, there's a difference between discussion of media and being an obsessive fanboy who built an identity so far up their ass they can't tell the forest from the trees anymore. If at least half of the people making these threads would have this realization, there would be much higher quality discussion of our entertainment, instead children, manchildren and femoids focus on the most inane, useless, meaningless garbage possible just to get their precious bumps and yous like a bunch of attention whores.
>>
>>2770793
Yep, even that low bar wasn't met.
>>
>>2770789
>I-I'm not hurting, (y-you) are hurting
Low IQ take.
>>
>>2770806
All these kids know is reactions and irony, they don't really have anything to say. The barrier for entry is just so low and there isn't any putting that genie back. All you can do is shame them every now and then.
>>
Daggerfall is the most bold shovelware yet. Thank Godd he changed the direction for the better which resulted into kino after kino.
>>
>>2770802
But I dont give a shit if you like it or not. Nor do I waste time defending anything, I only discuss things with people that already like the thing, anything else is pointless.
>>
>>2770806
lmao at getting triggered by what was posted in the OP
You need meds
>>
File: looking.png (295 KB, 619x597)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
looking real good
>>
>>2770763
This isn't your blog, zoomie
>>
>>2771055
I'm not triggered OP just needs to fucking kill himself kek
>>
>>2770721
What are the best mods?
>>
>>2771348
Uninstall.exe
>>
>>2771348
Hotkey Bar
Improved Interior Lighting
Better Ambience
World of Daggerfall
Corrected Bow Textures
Real Grass
Readied Spellcasting Hands
Roleplay and Realism
>>
FUCK DREUGHS
>>
Why does this game make /vrpg/ so mad nowadays? I remember having comfy threads about it just a couple of years ago
>>
>>2771587
>Why does game make mad
This game makes zoomers want to 42% themselves when they can't get out of the first room in the first dungeon.
>>
Underking > Gortwog > King of Worms > Uriel Septim > Eadwyre > Akorithi >>>>> Gothryd
>>
>>2771602
You're a retard. It's the zoomers pretending they play that shit game because their soi e-celeb shilled it to them as le unique and le underrated Elder Scrolls entry.
>>
>>2771587
Morrowsisters feel threatened by it. They can't deflect criticism like they usually do because Daggerfall is older and Morrowind is a dumbed down and more casual version of it. This makes them angry and they are lashing out.
>>
>>2771587
why do newfags think you have to be mad to shit on a game? i actively enjoy it, puts a big smile on my face.
>>
>>2771638
Because people still like to assume faggots like you are not just shitposters who get jollies from making threads worse for the sake of some kind of lols and that this board is different from /v/.

But even if it's smaller scale, it's the exact same shit. Hollow anger, contrarian posting and no depth in arguments beyond 'lol you mad'.
>>
>>2771587
Daggerfall Unity made it more accessible to retards. It filtered them hard and now they shit their pants every time a thread pops up.
>>
>>2771644
i mean the game does suck too, randomization doesn't work outside of roguelikes. bethesda are the laziest rpg developers ever to exist and morrowind's worldbuilding depth was a fluke. there's just no point in posting critique when some kid is just gonna reply "seethe more" or some shit.
>>
>>2771651
>randomization doesn't work outside of roguelikes.
Wrong. It works everywhere and is explicitly desirable in rpgs and strategy games.
>>
>>2771652
not with regards to quest and dungeon design. the simulator shit ends up feeling very hollow because rewards are often not commiserate with danger or tedium. especially this is a problem in first person because exploration becomes redundant when anywhere is functionally the same as anywhere else. look at oblvion, random loot in chests regenerates, so there's no "wow, i found this cool thing that was in this place", you could just farm the same spot. it's all very shallow and based around making less work for the devs because everything is recycled and on a table.
>>
>>2771657
i should also add, to me dungeon design is a huge part of rpgs going back to graph paper days. i don't want to explore random shit except in a roguelike where the objective is more focused on survival in every single move.
>>
>>2771626
You seem like a very angry and unpleasant person.
>>
>>2771737
He's not wrong. This gen lends itself to playing games as a social phenomenon more than anything else. It's completely true that you won't really find people that play games unless some dumbass on youtube told them about it. There's nothing inherently wrong with it in the short term but it creates this type of discussion and culture long term.
>>
>>2771821
You're the only one who mentioned ecelebs.
>>
>>2771823
I'm a different poster here. If you deny reality then there's nothing to discuss. E-celebs influence this generation in massive numbers, as evident from millions and millions of views and engagement regarding it, not to mention the sales and marketing aspect of our industry.
>>
>>2771637
>Morrowind is a dumbed-down Daggerfall
LOL there is nothing in Daggerfall that's complex enough to be dumbed down.
>>
>>2771652
RPGs are supposed to mimic heroic fiction, and need narratives to move the action forward. Not endless randomly-generated dungeons FFS,
>>
The advantage and disadvantage system in Daggerfall was so cool. It's heavily abusable and allows for some broken builds but I would have liked for it to be in later Elder Scrolls games, with more options and better balancing.
>>
>>2771626
>You're just pretending to play it!
Imagine being this pathetic and angry over people like something you don't.

>>2771821
>>2771825
What ecelebs are shilling Daggerfall then? This never seemed to be a game that youtubers and streamers latched onto even after Unity came out. Morrowind and the rest of TES still have way more popularity and influence in that regard.
>>
>>2772019
I still prefer Morrowind but Daggerfall undeniably has more complex character creation.
>>
>>2772207
If you put daggerall in youtube search I already see videos with millions of views in the first results. It's not about the game being in the collective zeitgeist -right now-, if it's endlessly shilled on twitch,youtube or whatever streaming service people consume -right now-. It's about the generation that has a conversation about this game specifically, right now, which has a high chance of being introduced to it by an e-celeb or through a series of secondary hand information and nothing about their experience or opinion is authentic, experiential or personal in any way whatsoever. Therefore the discussion follows the same fate. Dismissive, lackluster and proxy based conversations where people simply parrot what someone else has told them to say, think or feel. That is the main issue with having discussion openly about virtually anything on the internet today, you will be met with some kind of proxy type of behavior like this 9 times out 10. That is the generation we live in today, a generation that doesn't experience things naturally or personally anymore(take even this interaction, you're staring at a monitor instead of speaking to a humanbeing face to face) and no amount of denying reality will change the fact how tech companies dictate and mold human interaction in our age. You will parrot and regurgitate the same collective nonsense a million views video tells you about thing and you will be happy.
>>
>>2772022
>supposed to mimic heroic fiction
No. You have the wrong idea of what rpgs are supposed to do. Though it is true that the rpg modules in the 80's and early 90's were often designed around books that were released to help promote D&D like the Dragonlance books and the corresponding modules which were based on Tolkien, often modules were just fairly open adventures where an evil party could play through the module as well as a good party could given that the DM was decent enough that were premised on your party being a gang of adventures out to find their fortune. It didn't have to be heroic at all unless you were playing something like a Monk or Paladin who had an oath to donate all treasure that was not directly needed to fulfill their duties to charity in the "standard"/default rules. Often these modules were just structured sandboxes.

ComputerRPGs are essentially just derivations of tabletop wargames, except you play as a single character and the "rules" and general guidelines are souped up around playing a single character. The older crpgs, like Wizardry, Forgotten Realms unlimited, etc. often were just dungeon crawlers. The ambition of Daggerfall was to try to emulate that but on the scale of an entire region along with being able to open a bank account, buy a house, ship, horse, go to court, etc. Daggerfall as an rpg designed around the ambition of a medieval life simulator that had to be rushed to release and then required a few months of patches after released before it could be played and fell short of its ambition. However, It's quite in line with what rpgs are supposed to be.
>>
>>2772219
Daggerfall is free. You can download the original and patches or try unity. That's if you even want to play it at all. I recommend just downloading and playing a game that's free rather than looking for eceleb or video reviews, then if you like it continue. If you don't, simply uninstall it and the only thing you lost was maybe an hour of time. The choice is yours.
>>
>>2772319
Contrarian troons can't do anything without seeing what ecelebs DONT want them to think first
>>
>>2771587
It's one samefag shitting up the thread for (You)s. Just discuss the game and ignore the halfwitted midget.
>>
>>2770721
Biggeset world map in any game but everything is randomized

Largest amount of quest than any other Elder scrols game but there just boring randomized Dungeon Crawls

Dungeons are just Kilometerlong randomized halways

This iis the bggest pile of shit game i have ever played cope and Dilate Boomer
>>
>>2773556
It wasn't good even back then, anon, it was buggy as fuck. I returned it to the store. These are children playing the Unity version that really like it because they are viewing it from the perspective of TES being an "important" series. Which it wasn't.
>>
>>2773674
Notice the "wasn't".
>>
File: You.jpg (132 KB, 1600x901)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2770731
>>
>>2773773
Yeah, like that.
>>
>>2773664
It had it's appeal, given what was available at the time. There were very few games offering that kind of immersion and scope, even if the scope part was smoke and mirrors. Flawed but ambitious, and enthralling at least for awhile.

Quite a few of us old fogeys are interested in the unity port + mods, because it opens the possibility of making Daggerfall into that which we'd hoped it would be originally.
>>
>>2771649
/thread
the same can be said of people whining about morrowind, although daggerfall is much more immediate in its filtering
>>2772207
the only eceleb that i know of that actively shills it is razorfist, and he is based
>>
>>2770727
Morrowbabbies coming to grips with the fact that their game is the most casualized relative to its predescessor.
>>
>unity = soi and pajeet engine
>"muh e-celeb said it's good!"
>textbook contrarianism
>shitty schizo procgen
Hipster's Shovelware: Goyim of The Year Edition. Now withe extra zoomers.
>>
>>2775684
Woah these buzzwords convinced me!!
>>
TES is a garbage series and its fans are low IQ. That is all.
>>
>>2775717
>>2775721
Found the low IQ plebeians. Go back to >>>/v/ .
>>
>>2775725
>butthurt
>no u
>go back
I think you bring it with you wherever you go, little RPGlet.
>>
>>2771348
I'm using this nigger's complete overhaul (retro) modlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qc6VQAxo88
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vRc6npolU5iRSfzu8JToVGliR7oesLEaSlWrT23JS3I/edit#gid=1942120253

Bunch of very necessary and very good mods IMO, but without that awful DREAM shit that makes the game look awful and inconsistent visually.
>>
>>2770721
Modded Daggerfall Unity is comfy
I almost froze to death one night, but made it to this Inn
People like what that will, and dislike what that will, but these moments at least make feel something
Not a bad experience at all, especially for free
>>
Anons, I never played Daggerfall, but looking at the race bonuses, aren't Redguards just better versions of Dunmers?
>>
>>2770802
>wastes your time and mental capacity to take it personally, deconstruct it, defend it, reply with wit, ridicule, to hold on to it
nigga no one is doing that. People just want to talk about the game they are palying. You are the seething one for derailing the thread
>>
>>2771265
I just know this post was typed with anger
>kek
Why so much seething?
>>
>>2777563
some people do, others want to talk about people who don't like the game, little git.
>>2777564
see?
>>
>>2774207
Darklands mogged the shit out of Daggerfall even though it came out before
>>
Why did they remove climbing after this game?
>>
>>2777993
It didn't work especially well even in Daggerfall and acrobatics, jump and levitation spells basically fulfilled the same role
>>
>>2777993
Like other anon said, it was buggy and annoying in Daggerfall. Fixing it, giving it third person/first person animations, and making it work on more than just flat surfaces would've been insane back in 2002.
>>
>>2777994
>>2778058
Dogshit excuses
>>
>>2778060
If you have only played Daggerfall Unity, you have to try climbing in dungeons in OG Daggerfall, it's hilariously broken
>>
>>2777994
>>2778058
They could easily bring it back now though but they won't. Instead they'll just remove more skills.
>>
>>2778073
>They could easily bring it back now
Bethesda can't even into climbable ladders.
>>
removing the languages was a good idea, those were dumb as hell.
>>
>>2778078
bethesda can't even into power fantasy, despite it being the central part of their newer games, since RPG's are too complex now
>become the harbinger of the companions
>hurr durr do yuo bring them mead
>become the archmage of winterhold
>hurr durr go cast magich somewhere els
>>
>>2777749
Great game, but its immersion was of a more abstract nature (text events, detached perspective). Daggerfall was one of the early 'immersive sims', which is obviously what I'm talking about. Apples and Oranges.

A more apt would comparison would be that Ultima Underworld mogs it despite preceding it. Again though, the scope of Daggerfall as an imm-sim was novel (even it rang hollow after awhile).
>>
File: Fixed.jpg (361 KB, 710x519)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
>>2775741
FTFY
>>
>>2778083
Strongly disagree.
Every TES game would have been improved by language skills, especially if accompanied by voiced ingame conlangs.
>>
>>2778083
Having languages as skills is a cool idea, it just wasn't implemented well in Daggerfall like with many other things.
There are several mods that fix languages or use them to a better extent than Daggerfall originally did.
>>
>>2778363
>Every TES game would have been improved by language skills
Agreed.
>especially if accompanied by voiced ingame conlangs.
That's a pretty tall order though.
>>
I didn't know they were free-to-play:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812390/The_Elder_Scrolls_II_Daggerfall/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812290/The_Elder_Scrolls_Arena

Hopefully they do the same with the rest after a certain time.
>>
>>2778638
>Hopefully they do the same with the rest after a certain time.
Hahaha fat chance that Morrowind gets officially released for free. Todd in the back of his mind knows its his magnum opus but doesn't want it to compete with Skyrim.
>>
>>2778363
You still get the issue of why invest in several language skills when you could just use illusion charms/calm spells to achieve the same thing
>>
>>2778363
>Every TES game would have been improved by language skills
I disagree, having a random chance to pacify an enemy doesn't make an interesting skill.
Unless you actually think that Bethesda of all developers could manage to do different languages with dialogue changing depending on your and the other creature's skill level AND also make it interesting. In that case you're delusional.
>>
>>2770749
Todd wasn't in charge when they made Daggerfall. That's why Daggerfall is superior to the rest of the series. Morrowind-Skyrim was when they
>managed to somehow master the art of making the blandest, emptiest and boring game design imaginable become not only a universal critically acclaimed commercial success but somehow continuously trick young impressionable people into believing its art and mastery too for multiple generations
>>
>>2778774
bland, empty and boring is exactly how I'd describe Daggerfall's procedurally generated mess. Todd had the right idea in taking more inspiration from Ultima VII
>>
>>2778774
>That's why Daggerfall is superior to the rest of the series.
For almost putting Bethesda out of business?
>>
>>2778778
fucking kys zoomer, todd made elder scrolls immeasurably worse
>>
>>2778779
there are many great games that didn't make money. gtfo and go play cod and rdr2 then zoomzoom
>>
>>2778780
I know for a fact you've only played the zoomer Unity port
>>
>>2778782
>n-no if you disagree you're a zoomer like me!
Do you have any real argument? Daggerfall was (and still is) shit. It may have a cool concept behind but the way it was executed resulted in spending a lot of money on a dry, featureless game idea.
Sure is cool that there are multiple knightly orders and temples, too bad that they're all the fucking same shit with the half-broken radiant quests system as the only "questline" available for factions.
Sounds intriguing to hear about the massive scale of the game with countless dungeons, too bad that you're never seeing any of that empty space while traveling and the dungeon random generation is completely broken and requires reloading a previous save in multiple instances.
Oh but the main quest dungeons are hand crafted, maybe that's why Daggerfall is the superior game... Except for the fact that all the titles you called out for being "blandest, emptiest and boring" have actual handcrafted content all over the place, and not just 3 times in the entire game.

Now, Daggerfall Unity is a different game entirely, but that's not the same game that came out in the 90s.
>>
>>2778805
>that's not the same game that came out in the 90s.
yes it is
>>
>>2778783
Those Faggerfall Unity hipsters are the worst.
>>
>>2779530
It's really, really not. They changed a lot of how underlying systems work (Sometimes for stability, other things are just outright casualization, like how in Daggerfall Unity you can't get kicked out of guilds for failing quests)
>>
>>2778783
kys. i bought daggerfall at the store in 1996. I was 10 years old
>>2778805
Daggerfall had better aesthetics and music. 3-5 have shit characters, shit voice acting, shit music, everything is toned down and consolized, these games are boring af. Daggefall clearly superior so go kys too, zoomie
>>
>>2779770
If only your parents had bought you Ultima Underworld instead you could have turned out alright
>>
Your character looks… not good.
>>
>>2779781
Kek. Teh bantz.
>>
>>2779704
those are options you can toggle on or off, right down to having the weapon swing like newer Elder Scrolls
>>
>>2770832
Well one kind of kino, then an okay. Kinda rough after that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpeettBUmF4

Keep coming back to this game
It's been like 4 years now
>>
>>2783831
>Keep coming back to this game
Better than Skyrim even without muh gfx
>>
>>2783831
>>2785786
These two posts sum up daggerfall fans

>love this old classic ;)
>oh I first played it 4 years ago btw

>yeah its totally better than (other TES game)
>>
>>2785800
Don't forget the
>I totally love the game as it is, that's why I only play the Unity version
>>
>>2785800
>>2785807
I don't remember asking for your tranny opinions
>>
>>2770721
I would be too if the GOG versions framerate didnt plummet in towns, makes the game unplayable
>>
File: futuristic-city-hsosc.jpg (576 KB, 2000x1270)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
>>2785800
Society if people played Ultima Underworld instead of Daggerfall
>>
>>2786007
why not turn off the mods, or just install the game normally, it's not hard, game is free on Bethesda's site, download the latest DF Unity version, plop the files in and play
>>
>>2786021
looks dystopian and ugly
>>
>>2785800
>zoomies just keep playing games from the CURRENT YEAR
>NOOOOOO ZOOMIES ARENT ALLOWED TO PLAY OLD GAMES IM GOING INSAAANE
>>
File: yes and.png (71 KB, 257x208)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>2785807
>>2785800
So what? What's the issue, other than your autism?
>>
>>2772210
More complex by having 10 shitty and useless language skills?
>>
>>2786773
NTA but being able to pick Disadvantages in character creation is neat and Daggerfall could be considered more complex because of it... But it's way too easy to abuse and you always get more than what you have to give up.
>>
>>2770727
Morrowtoddlers seethe at Daggerfall because it exposes how their game was pretty much the Skyrim of its era.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.