[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1659722589563117.jpg (1015 KB, 2200x2200)
1015 KB
1015 KB JPG
What's the most immersive RPG you've played?
>>
File: 1653959863619.webm (2.89 MB, 1280x720)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
the GOAT
>>
>>2727544
That pic looks like it was illustrated in 2008
>>
File: eye-of-veeshan.jpg (189 KB, 1600x900)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Everquest.
Nothing else has ever come close.
Not that I would ever play it again, mind you. The bullshit is not worth it. But it was the most immersive videogame experience I've ever had by a long shot.
>>
Red Dead Redemption 2
>>
I have never been immersed into a video game and it isn't something I look for at all. I actually like playing games, not being taken out of myself by entertainment media.
>>
>>2727617
>Not that I would ever play it again, mind you. The bullshit is not worth it.
kek
>>
Arx Fatalis and System Shock 2 for me. Moreowind as well for other reasons.
>>
>>2727582
what game is that?
>>
>>2727939
VTMB
>>
For me, it HAS to be Skyrim. The graphical fidelity we managed to present has yet to be topped, in my humble opinion. That, on top of the vast and varied environments, ease of accessibility and breadth of options for your character's natural progression makes Skyrim nothing less than a timeless masterpiece. Other RPGs may prize themselves on the complexity of their systems and the minutia of the player's interaction with them, but Skyrim did something special by spurring those old conventions. The best part? It still receives support through updates and rereleases, including integration for the most cutting edge virtual reality technology. Yep, Skyrim isn't going anywhere any time soon, and why should it? It's simply the most immersive adventure available that anyone, young or old, can appreciate. Why, I think I'll buy another copy tonight for my Nintendo Switch or Steam Deck so that I can escape to Skyrim on the go! What do you say, fellow anons?
>>
For feeling like I'm actually walking around a forest collecting herbs with my dog, KCD takes the cake. However, since the role itself is fairly static I don't get that as an overall game experience, only specifically the time and place
I find TES games easy to get immersed in, but more difficult as they go on. But I do a lot of headcanoning
>>
>>2727544
Arx Fatalis. I felt the dread of that black pursuer monster so heavily I almost couldn't continue playing. That has never happened to me in any other game, not even a horror one
>>
>>2728031
What's your favorite TES game? Mine is Oblivion
>>
>>2728015
What graphical fidelity are you talking about? The graphics on vanilla unmodded Skyrim aren't impressive. By the way, if you thought Skyrim was good just wait until you play the previous Elder Scrolls games (especially Morrowind)
>>
>>2728120
Morrowind just barely edges out oblivion
In terms of immersion, oblivion for wandering around springtime forests on my horse, and morrowind for being steeped in a foreign, alien culture
Skyrim for... other things
>>
Act I of Kingmaker was very good
Disco Elysium was excelent for immersion
Classic and TBC WoW was also quite great
>>
World of Warcraft Classic-WotLK
I play exclusively on RP servers an run inns/shops out of the park in Stormwind. Have had characters with 4+ years storylines with the same group of nerds. Don't bother now, RP is dead and blizzard killed it.
>>
File: IMG_20220105_131819.jpg (2.7 MB, 3648x2736)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2727544
My metric for "immersive" is how relaxed I feel when I'm playing, and whether once I've finished I know I've made a happy memory I'll keep with me for a long time. Recently that was Elden Ring; I was exploring the underground while watching old Cartoon Network and adult swims shows on a playlist I make every Friday, and the experience of exploring a gigantic new world I hadn't realized was even there, while reliving a time in my life that didn't suck made me really happy, and it felt like I was a kid again. For a while I also played Bloodborne only during the Halloween season, and I try to play JRPGs during November/December when I'm most nostalgic.

It isn't an RPG, but in 2018 I moved to Japan and the first game I played was Red Dead 2. I didn't have internet in my first apartment at the time so I spent all my time just fucking around in the game. It was pretty great.
>>
File: stylish.jpg (1.06 MB, 1478x1293)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2727544
Skyrim. Genuinely.
I know all the issues with it, all the problems and the wasted potential. But you can really get lost in it. Ignore the story and just wander around, there are plenty of things to do and places to go.
It's great if you just play as a wandering mercenary, fighting and investigating. Stay away from the high magic quests, avoid daedra, don't do the main quest, and keep in the lower ranks of the guilds.

And join the Dawnguard purely for the armour.
>>
>>2727544
STALKER Anomaly.
>>
>>2728494
>It isn't an RPG, but in 2018 I moved to Japan and the first game I played was Red Dead 2. I didn't have internet in my first apartment at the time so I spent all my time just fucking around in the game. It was pretty great.
>moves to a foreign country
>doesnt spend any time outside enjoying a foreign culture
>spends all day inside doing what he did back home
Jesus man you have zero curiousity.
>>
>>2728527
Not an RPG
>>
>>2728015
underrated
>>
>>2727544
I started playing Baldur's Gate 1 a few days ago and it's sucked me into its world to a degree that not even Morrowind did.
>>
>>2728042
What black pursuer? You mean the rat on level 6-7? The crypt is much more unhinged with the gargoyle statues and liches. In fact the crypt is insanely well done compared to the entire game in terms of mood. Hell the entire game is an absolute masterpiece.
>>
>>2727617
It was DAOC for me, but the exact same sentiment is there. Those pre-WoW mmos were something special.
>>
>>2727617
This but Ultima Online.
>>
>>2728481
i have incredible memories of rping in wow. i actually never rped until like legion or something. id do it drunk off my ass. has some actually mind blowing experiences. i wish people in classic would rp more. i used to join those gilneas rp things, you know what i mean? i just played as a drunken dwarf the whole time. god i would like to do that again but in calssic wotlk. christ.
>>
>>2732529
i tried to RP in classic but its just not the same. people arent the same. being online isnt the same. being into RPGs isnt the same. people just want to beat the game and thats it
>>
>>2732535
ill find a place where i can rp drunk again, just like the good old days. i quit classic a few weeks into tbc after no lifing for awhile. i dont know if ill get wotlk. but its sort of tempting. the one rp server is dead as fuck isnt it? i was on grobb but honestly im done with the constant pvp autism. maybe ill reroll. maybe ill find a new game.. i dunno. a bit sad. i think i should eventually be able to relive those experiences somehow, somewhere
>>
>>2727544
Shadow Tower, mainly because it was first person with no music and is very, very dark.
King's Field is a better franchise with IMO better dungeons but feels more gamey.
I wish anyone else liked this game.
>>
>>2728494
Wow, you come off as a huge manchild. I really hope this isn't how my friends see me IRL.
>>
>>2731684
It's a true RPG. You cannot cope against this fact.
>>
>>2732729
No, it's not, you retarded troll.
It's about as much an RPG as Doom.
>>
>>2732729
Not that anon and I love the mod but it's an action game with rpg elements. It's action primarily and rpg secondary. Still, I don't see why action rpgs shouldn't be discussed here? Tons of other games do. The reason is simple, Anomaly gets a pass for any contrarian to bait yous and attention. It's often criticised and used as a black sheep to start drama and basically cause a shitstorm when the actual game(before the tarkovite modding fad) was very good. I regularly do ironman runs in it.
>>
>>2735068
>anomameme
>good
lol
>>
File: go.jpg (10 KB, 197x255)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2732735
>>2735068
>>2735074
Incorrect. Anomaly is good, I don't give a fuck about tranny modders and their clique wars, it's a RP video game that managed to fully distance itself from TTRPGs - an accidental genius design. Fight me mongrels, I got all day.

Bumping this so you faggots can get all the help you will need. Come and get me.
>>
Honestly, it's probably Skyrim. It's not my favorite RPG and there are a lot of problems with it, but it's extremely immersive.
>>
>>2735280
It's a immersive looting simulator that a minority of people eLARP in, that's it.
>>
File: Jupiter Bandits2.webm (2.98 MB, 1920x1080)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>2735280
bro, I will mog you in this game any day
it's not a pure rpg, it's an action game with rpg elements and I said that it's great and there should be no reason not to discuss it, the fact that you lump me in the same quote means you didn't read what I said and you're just here for attention
the best roleplay aspect isn't the doctorx quests(who's dead btw so no more updates) but picking a challenge and playing the game with it, like melee only for example
>>
>>2735074
CoC is a mod that has achieved things beyond anything that GSC and the community could ever dream of. We still don't know how much the engine can be pushed or what modders are going to do with the open source code. Anomaly was simply a convenient and simultaneously most qualitative overhaul modification which built on top of it and is easily accessible to the masses(which are mod illiterate and don't really understand how it works). Although the current state of anomaly is questionable at best, they are too envious and reactionary of Tarkov, which is a mistake.
>>
File: the fuck you say.png (744 KB, 964x768)
744 KB
744 KB PNG
>>2728015
>graphical fidelity we managed
>we
>>
>>2727544
Unironically... probably Morrowind. Far from my favorite RPG, though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.