[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 110 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!




>>
>>2725589
The average age of an original Baldur's Gate fan is 50
>>
>>2725589
Being straight... I know, a complete foreign concept for you.
>>
>>2725589
Feels like every game causes people to meltdown on this board, lol
>>
>>2725589
>What causes this game to make schizos on this board have a meltdown?
Franchise faggots specifically autistic Pathfinder faggots who want to plunge CRPGs into a war of company brand loyalty and combat system fanboyism
>>
>>2725589
The fact that you keep making disingenuous bait threads instead of trying to actually discuss the game.
Maybe you're better off keeping those on /v/.
>>
what causes OP to cut off his dick and become a tranny? also what BG3, was it already released?
>>
>>2725589
There are two groups of faggots within gaming that condenses all of the autists into one sphere who you know for a fact will bitch and moan when they don't get what they want upon discovery, and that is RTWP fans and Third-Person-Perspective fans.

Just look at the meltdown for CP2077 being first person and Torment Numenera when the community voted to make the game turned-based.
>>
>>2725652
>projection
remind me how many CRPGs had to bolt RTWP modes on after launch in response to autistic backlash?
>>
>>2725589
Where did your parents go wrong to turn you into a such an autistic faggot?
>>
>>2725589
Not enough cute wolf girls.
>>
3.5e pathfinder cucks can't handle a game where you have to pick a class and stick to it
>>
>>2725638
This is funny because the guy who is in loudest about it in every thread is a self admitted faggot.
>>
Why do autistic children now think everyone else is a schizo? The world must be a scary serious place to them.
>>
>>2725589
As other people have pointed out, it's most likely Pathfinder fags who want every RPG to be about min/max crunching, and because they are so autistic that they can't help themselves but start participating in tribalfaggotry.
>>
>>2725589
BG boomers that are still seething over the fact that the new game is turn-based instead of rtwp.
>>
File: 1644490166326.png (954 KB, 960x960)
954 KB
954 KB PNG
>>2726007
Calm down schizo
>>
>>2726015
Irony is self-harm encouraged by miserable people. Communication doesn't have to be provocation. Love and respect yourself, kid, or no one else will.
>>
File: 1606958462171.png (574 KB, 1428x701)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
>>2726001
Did the game force him to be gay?
>>
>>2726021
>I dream about men
>I made my significant other in BG3 a man
>but I'm totally not gay
I'm starting to get the feeling that half the people playing RPGs are homosexuals in denial.
>>
I just can't help but look down on anyone paying full price for an Early Access game.
>>
>>2726025
Only half?
>>
>>2725589
The fact that its not done. They're releasing 1/3 of the story and that 1/3 released 3 years ago and isn't done. You all bought 1/9th of a game and paid the studio to disincentivize them from doing work.
>>
>>2726025
Please, it's a quarter at best, anon. The other 25% aren't in denial.
>>
>>2726031
Not just that, they paid to test a game and ruin the full experience for themselves. It's better to ignore unfinished games, but they trick these compulsives into thinking they have to be drip fed content. I blame Minecraft.
>>
So far this thread is nothing but fanboys having a pre-emptive meltdown over their own imagination.
>>
>>2725652
Did people care about Numenera? I thought it was just an attempt to get people interested in Monte Cook's shitty wizardfag setting by slapping Torment on the title, in hopes that they'd buy it purely on positive associations from Planescape.
>>
>>2726048
I guess enough did on the basis that it was suppose to be a spiritual successor. Funny how you can attract so many people by using that label.
>>
I just wish it was called anything else.
It's not anything like either Baldur's Gate game
>>
File: WOOO.jpg (77 KB, 968x154)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>2726027
I think this part of the problem overall.
There are lots of stupid people who like stupid games. I just ignore them as a rule. I see a thread on /vg/ about some franchise called Fate Grand Order always getting hundreds of replies but I've never even once clicked on the thread. (I don't know if it's a stupid game for stupid people, I'm just saying I know nothing about it other than it's an anime mobile game.)

But the Baldur's Gate name got me to look. I was invited in. And what I see is an embarrassment. And more importantly, I see a lot of people who actually like this garbage and viciously, aggressively defend it from any and all criticism no matter how reasonable.

As a result I hold them in contempt, fans of BG3. It's not so much the game itself I don't like, it's the people who post about it here. I would have preferred to remain blissfully unaware of this faggotry.
>>
>>2725651
Release is 2023
>>
>>2725589
Schizos melt for anything, don't think it's that special or anything.
>>
>>2726135
BG1 the game where you meet both Elminster and Drizzt on your low level quest and they both tell you that you're very cool
>>
>>2726135
I honestly don't understand why the whole spaceship and tadpole thing incite so much hatred. It feels exciting.
What doesn't feel exciting is the shift in tone after you finally crash and get out. You just proceed to the generic village and roam around like the same low level rag tag team of fuckwads as in BG1. Except the companions feel like they were pulled from an Anne Rice book and make you wanna puke for interacting with them.
>>
>>2725638
expeditions rome doesn't
>>
>>2726015
>frogshitting
>wojak posting
bg 3 tranny showed his true colors...
>>
It's not even just bg3
>larian
>obsidian
>owlcat
Why do people have meltdowns whenever one of these studios or one of their games is mentioned?
>>
>>2726142
Because the writing in BG1 breaks the 4th wall, zoomie. It has a serious plot over a non-serious storytelling.
>>
>>2726151
Zoomer mentality and thinking corporations are people.
>>
>>2726152
Elminster and Drizzt aren’t treated as 4th wall breaking encounters. They are only in the low level adventure for spectacle because nerds will recognize them from the books. Like Larian using a crash landing on an illithid ship.
>>
>>2726001
Well... he plays bg3 and probably other larian games with its "partner".
>>
>>2726142
Yeah ~30 seconds of fanservice for people who already know the setting. It's literally nothing and is why I have such contempt for you disingenuous shills.

>>2726145
>I honestly don't understand why the whole spaceship and tadpole thing incite so much hatred. It feels exciting.
Because it's stupid. It's forced, unearned excitement which is absolutely 100% guaranteed to yield disappointment.
>You just ... roam around like the same low level rag tag team of fuckwads as in BG1.
I'm not saying you need to literally start killing rats in the basement like BG1 and never get beyond a +2 longsword, not every story needs to start with a full low-level campaign, but you should be able to establish a plausible role in the world so you have room to grow and a frame of reference for fantastical events and phenomenon.

Consider this one simple change-- where instead of stupidly starting the PC on the spelljammer to be infected with the mind parasite, he's just a young bloke in the village looking for adventure. The PC witnesses the spelljammer crash and joins up with some a couple of generic locals (not a bunch of snowflake donut steels) to go investigate. Maybe you can keep one of those locals to be your stalwart, loyal, no-drama companion for the rest of the game.

You have a baseline, you have some supernatural excitement to kick off the story, you aren't immediately abusing brain tadpoles to excuse lame contrivances and other lazy writing, and you aren't writing yourself into the huge fucking corner that the braintadpoles already are, requiring even more arbitrarily supernatural nonsense to explain.

>but it's fantasy, supernatural stuff is cool
Yeah no shit. There's good and bad use of supernatural elements. The aforementioned contempt is for people unable to tell the difference even after it has been pointed out to them.
>>
>>2726170
>They are only in the low level adventure for spectacle because nerds will recognize them from the books. Like Larian using a crash landing on an illithid ship.
They are not at all the same. You are too stupid to tell the difference and that is why I hate you. I don't hate Larian, I hate you.
>>
>>2726151
Retards with tribalistic mentality. I like them all, well except latest Obsidian trash, but still. Can't really understand what pushes people to screech so hard about Larian or Owlcat.
>>
>>2726178
If both Elminster and Drizzt appeared during a low level ttrpg campaign everyone at the table would recognize how dumb and out of place that is.
>>
>>2726187
Yes, it's dumb.
The difference is they are totally irrelevant. The story is not about Elminster or Drizzt. They are throwaway fanservice moments.
The tadpole shit is the central concept of the story and the main quest of the game.
You are a fucking moron because you can't tell the difference.
>>
>>2726135
I dont consider it a baldurs gate 3 game.

It's divinity 3 in forgotten realms, simple as. The proof for this is that you can simply ignore all skill builds if you know how to use barrels properly.
>>
>>2726192
Tadpole is on the same level as you being the bastard child of a god
>>
>>2726170
Elmisnter walking past you in the 3rd area or so of the game is a little different to starting the game on a crashing spaceship with le ebin tadpole.

Baldurs gate introduces the player into a living world that doesn't revolve around them. If you want to head north off the path you'll likely get ripped to shreds by a wolf if you're new.

You can't compare the openings of the two games.
>>
>>2726201
you learn it in the end of bg 1, when you start getting into the epic levels and all the god fluff is appropriate
bg3 is 1-14 range campaign max, where you fight illithids from level 1
>>
>>2726176
Your pitch for a starting campaign sounds garbage and mundane. *yawn* come back with better ideas you sloth.
>>
>>2726201
No it isn't.
Again cannot even defend your own game's shit story concepts without half-assed and impossibly ignorant attempts to equate it with the original.
That is why I hate BG3 fans. It's because you morons can't help putting your idiocy on display every time the game gets criticized.
>>
>>2726213
Nta but you are waffling right now you have no substantial arguments just subjective opinions. Drizzt, Elminster and finding out you are the son of a god is on the exact same page as BG3s plot device is exactly the same.
>>
>>2726176
>he's just a young bloke in the village looking for adventure. The PC witnesses the spelljammer crash and joins up with some a couple of generic locals
Oh, yeah. Now I see the problem, and why the tone shift bothers me.
They've kicked off the story as if you're a more important figure than just a low level adventurer, but then you proceed to do low level adventuring.

How can Larian writers be so inept? If the entire introduction revolves about the supernatural, then clearly you can't just dump the player into mundane exploration after upping the stakes so high.
>>
>>2726221
It's better, and I explained why.
You only appealed to your own shit taste for meaningless spectacle.
>>
>>2726226
That's a different anon and it's not the same at all. You clearly don't even know what plot device means.
>>
>>2726226
This has been successfully argued against about 3 times this thread. You're wrong
>>
>>2726230
>How can Larian writers be so inept?
They are self-consciously trying to write a "baldur's gate" story and D&D game while using their (successful) DivOS formula. As you can see, no-int retards in the thread equate the illithid parasite with being a bhallspawn. You can see the dumb train of logic:

> the PC needs to be special
> specialness should be part-gift, part-curse so let's make it like that
> can't be some kind of divine conception, that was already done
> can't do the godwoken thing we did that in DivOS2
> Mind Flayers were kind of a big deal in Baldur's Gate but never really had the spotlight
> WOTC likes Mind Flayers but also says there needs to be some connection to the Avernum module

During a brainstorm someone shits out the idea of using a mind flayer parasite to be the curse/gift and so far it's the only idea that ticks all the boxes that the committee has laid out and nobody wants to be the guy who keeps the meeting from running into everyone's lunch, so that's decided.
>>
>>2726170
I think the illithid ship escape is kinda needed for the story they want to tell, yes it wouldnt fit if you want a low level dnd adventure, but its the story they want to tell and I think that the story is pretty interesting so far, hopefully we'll get a good payoff
>>
>>2726184
>well except latest Obsidian trash
Outer Worlds was it? Heard the game was kinda mediocre.
>>
>>2726151
Tribalism. I like Obsidian and Larian for the most part. Not too big on Owlcat, but I don't go out of my way to shit up Pathfinder threads because I'm not that pathetic.
>>
>>2726263
Yeah, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the mind flayer tadpole thing. They're doing their divine god thing and you're the experiment. Whatever.
It's more of an issue with execution and flow of the story, but this can still be pinned under "glorified video game demo for dopamine addled teenagers", but have your low level adventure anyway.
So, space ship to open the story. Crude, but I've seen way worse writing.

Your argument that a prologue in a village disrupted by <event> is sound, but at the same time this has been so overdone almost every RPG in existence opens this way.
>>
>>2726263
>the PC needs to be special
Why?
>>
>>2726296
Fanservice. There's a myriad ways to transition a low level nobody into epic levels in DnD, but the fanbase wants to start out as a special snowflake.
>>
>>2726279
>Yeah, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the mind flayer tadpole thing.
There are some inherent problems. First, that it's a bad idea to implement something that would cause a player to doubt their own perception and will. And second, that takes a serious dump on established lore. Not that WOTC cares, but it's still an inherent problem. The new "special tadpoles" are not consistent creatively with the theme and intent of the creature (IOW cosmic horror), nor do they fit an autistic interpretation of established lore.

Those are the two inherent problems. You can succeed in spite of inherent problems (Final Fantasy VII features a character essentially infected by a mind-controlling parasite). But as you observe, they're already blundering execution all over the place. There's no evidence at all that there's any real creative inspiration behind the tadpole idea.

>Your argument that a prologue in a village disrupted by <event> is sound, but at the same time this has been so overdone almost every RPG in existence opens this way.
Yeah if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially not when you're making a broad-appeal game marketing to a wide audience. More importantly, if you want to do something different you should have a solid foundation and creative inspiration for why you're doing it differently, not just copying some tropes and story beats from DivOS2 and carelessly swapping in D&D/Forgotten Realms elements.
>>
>>2726296
Because Baldur's Gate did it and they are making a "Baldur's Gate Game."
>>
>>2726303
At least, that's what they think.
>>
>>2726263
> the PC needs to be special
literally my single least favorite thing in all of RPGdom. totally flies in the face of role playing your own unique character with a unique background. i think half the reason i enjoyed the elder scrolls series was that you started off as a nobody with no history and could ignore the main plot. i've struggled with some RPGs that i would otherwise enjoy mechanically because they thrust you right into an already-occupied role that should have its own expectations that you can typically only modify slightly. this gets even worse with direct-sequels where you're not only the chosen one, but the chosen one on their 2nd important adventure.
>>
>>2726322
It also makes it bad because it adds a kind of urgency that gets broken when the game expects you to walk slowly around their quest hub, talking to every little person and asking if they need someone to pick up their enchanted wedding ring from the tavern toilets.
>>
>>2726275
Yeah, tried playing it, but couldn't go past couple of hours. Probably a decent game underneath it all, but filled with androgynous "people". Not very immersive or fun.
>>
>>2725589
Old good, new bad. Simple as.
>>
>>2725589
Is BG3 in it's current state worth it? Or should I just wait till 2023?
>>
File: 1287361783.gif (1.47 MB, 320x240)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB GIF
>>2726383
this man gets it.
>>
>>2726383
Fun good. Not fun good or bad depending on what it is and the purpose for it existing.
>>
Post pics
>>
RTwP=bad
Turn-based=good
EA games=bad
Full game=good
Bioware writing=bad
Larian writing=bad
Forgotten Realms=bad
Spelljammer=good

It's a muddled world, all is shit.
>>
>>2726599
There's nothing wrong with FR, its pretty fleshed out, shame they almost exclusively focus on the sword coast though
>>
>>2726316
>copying some tropes and story beats from DivOS2
Unknown location in which you're being experimented on that you fight your way out of that's also under attack... doesn't ring any bells? It's how BG2 opens, so it's a tribute to that, albeit more flashy.
>>
>>2726602
It's fleshed out because it has cribbed everything and the kitchen sink. Greenwood IS a hack. The Time of Troubles was retarded committee storytelling to explain rule changes between editions too and I rolled my eyes so hard at BG1 for basing their story around it.
>>
>>2726607
>so also lazily copying BG2
Just adding more shit to the list.
I bet you loved Disney Star Wars.
>>
>>2726607
oh and for the record, if you're effectively starting a brand new story with new characters starting from level 1, copying the opening structure from a direct sequel is probably a fucking retarded idea.

BG2's introduction works because it's a continuation of BG1. You start as a mid-level character with a unique and already-known backstory that is directly relevant to the main conflict of the game and with established relationships with other mid-level characters. The main story is mostly about you vs Irenicus and the opening level focuses on introducing the villain and foreshadowing that conflict (since no development needs to be done yet on the protag since we start with a fully developed character from BG1). And even if you haven't played BG1, you know right off the bat you are jumping into a sequel so you catch up as you go along.

Furthermore, the whole "kidnapped by Irenicus" premise is not that great in the first place, and is used mainly as a way to 'reset' the player to a baseline after the previous game (gear, companions, etc.). It's a cheap move and I remember being disappointed about it back when I originally played it.
>>
VIRUSWARE! don't buy this scam it will steal your credit card!
>>
>>2725589
What game doesn't cause some of the schizos on this board to have a meltdown?
>>
File: hoodie.jpg (47 KB, 500x500)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I genuinely like Pathfinders cosmology more than modern D&Ds so a big chunk of Forgotten Realms stuff feels mediocre to me. In fact I'd argue that FR needs to be retired and some other setting should take up the flagship mantle. It's too mapped out, too rote. It was always meant to be the generic fantasy adventure setting, but due to the obscene amounts of minutea and worldbuilding it's impossible for a game like BG3 to feel like people can make an interesting story.

Everything has been laid out, solved, and done a thousand times. From the first 5 minutes you know exactly how the game is going to progress, with trips to the Underdark, some sort of Elder Brain antagonist figure, a party of spunky companions who all are exact and fitting carcatures of their race and class and more. You will push button to kill enemy, collect loot, and interact with a world that if nearly 40 years old and aching with how tired it is.

I don't even think this is Larian's fault. Nobody could make a modern game set in 5e hellscape Forgotten Realms without is being a chore.
>>
>>2726908
To add onto this and talk a bit about Pathfinder again, one thing that fucking makes me seethe about 5e Forgotten Realms (and the trend D&D has taken in general in the past decade or two) is how spineless and lacking in any semblance of rawness it is as a setting. Pathfinders setting is hyper edgy at points, almost to the point of it getting silly sometimes (everything to do with say Urgathoa for example) but this is not necessarily a bad thing, it adds spice and tension to the porriage. Shit, even sexuality in Forgotten Realms has been progressively toned down from the Ed Greenwood days to whatever the current mess is: A spectacular mismash where every other character is LGBT or bisexual yet the authors are so terrified of hurting anyones feelings that any mention of sexuality outside of this is banned. I'm aware Larian is making coomer cutscenes but that isn't what I'm talking about.
>>
>>2726908
I can agree that Pathfinder, at least 1E, has a lot more fun and soul in it. But, I don't think 5E is bad, and like with any table top the stuff is just there to help you make your own story.
>>
>>2726176
Oh, do fuck off
I want interesting shit in a story instead of
>well I guess you were just a kid in some shitty place
>then everything changed when monsters attacked
>and DARTH DICKUS murdered your parents and even your doggo
>now you are on the epic quest to stop DARTH DICKUS
>enjoy uninspired locations such as undead graveyard, lizzard bog, kobalt mine, orc village, elf forest, bandit camp, minotaur cavern, maybe even vampire castle!
>With an epic twist of DARTH DICKUS being your father
Yeah fuck off I want something interesting not braindead basic bitch writing which kills you by boring to death.
>>
>>2726908
There is nothing new under the sun, anon. The setting or edition is not the problem, it's entirely a matter of a good game with a good story. You end up liking a setting and characters because they were in a good game and / or story.
>>
>>2726230
>but then you proceed to do low level adventuring.
Excuse me what? Your whole goal of bg3 is to cure yourself. It is literally in the quest journal. Called find a cure.
What fucking adventures?
I hate you pretentious faggots.
>>
>>2726230
>then clearly you can't just dump the player into mundane exploration after upping the stakes so high.
why?
>>
>>2726599
>Spelljammer=good
Old Spelljammer, sort of. But you couldn't be saying this at all if you'd seen what WotC have done with it.
>>
>>2726951
have you played early access?
You certainly don't find a cure, so what exactly are you doing for those 30 hours?
>>
Post HER
>>
>>2727156
>>
>>2726949
You have no taste whatsoever. You are a poseur who mistakes randomly retarded bullshit as quality merely because it's not something you personally have seen before.
>>
>>2726949

t. zoomer
>>
>>2726908
Eh, BG3 will revolve around the dead three, the Illithid are just a diversion. Bhaalspawn avatar's have been datamined.
>>
File: Sword-Coast-Map_LowRes.jpg (1.06 MB, 3600x2329)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2726908
I don't think you're wrong about the overall quality of Forgotten Realms but I totally agree with this anon (>>2726950) that the devil is in the details. Any mature campaign setting will have its pros and cons, a good writer/dev will research the setting and play to its strengths. If you're feeling to confined by cliches, just look for a new angle, there's always something, especially in a huge 40-year-old open-ended campaign setting.

>due to the obscene amounts of minutea and worldbuilding it's impossible for a game like BG3 to feel like people can make an interesting story.
This seems like it should really have the opposite effect. All this massive amount of minutiae and world-building means you can load up your game world with a shit-ton of detail without having to come up with all of the ideas yourself. The devil is in the details and you put your twist on each character and location while respecting the setting.

> a party of spunky companions who all are exact and fitting carcatures of their race and class and more
None of these are setting-determined. Drizzt is a special snowflake Drow specifically not like other Drow. The list of tryhard donut steels in BG3 are certainly not racial caricatures, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.


For me what seems like the biggest most unavoidable problem is the conflict between desired scope/stakes and gameplay reality. The gameplay model is stuck in the "CRPG" model where you focus fleshing out a small region of the world. Which is fine except that if you want continent-scale stakes (Mind Flayers invade Faerun!) and epic god drama and shit like that, it's going to feel weird being restricted to puttering around a few small regions because that's all you're able to implement at the required level of audio-visual detail. Everything is going to feel off.
>>
>>2727468
Distinct acts is better, because you can have the party move to a new location, or even stay in the same one but change things dramatically (destroy towns, do the aftermath of battles, or even simply change season). It seems a lot of RPGs like to make it so you can keep going back and revisiting areas, allowing the player to save certain quests for whenever he feels like. But then the world doesn't feel alive. Everyone is just waiting for the chosen one to talk to them and solve their problems.
>>
File: 1610804190417.png (750 KB, 915x670)
750 KB
750 KB PNG
>>2726170
>>2726187
>cameos are the same as making x part of the plot
You went straight from moving the goalpost to pretending to be retarded.

>>2726151
>>2726156
>>2726184
>>2726277
You are all confusing causation and correlation.
The reason people are tired of these 3 companies is because they released okayish to good games that get praised to hell as masterpieces by zoomers (aka people who are too retarded to tell a dog turd from a bar of chocolate.)
People are annoyed and push back.
Since zoomers are retarded and defensive about everything they like instead of accepting that the game they like has flaws they sperg out and accuse everyone of being a shill for competing game. Thats where the consooomer-tribalism stems from.

This is kind of mentality in zoomers is something I have noticed for quite some time by the way: If zoomie likes thing it automatically means that thing is perfect and flawless because zoomie wouldnt like otherweise.
If zoomie dislikes thing it means its dogshit with no redeeming qualities.

On a different note: Personally I dislike BG3 because its just Original Sin with a new coat of paint and the typical soulless corporate marketing you also see from Disney/Marvel etc where they bait you with nostalgia and then pull a bait and switch on you.
Its not a Baldurs Gate game and if they actually put a NPC from the older games in it it will be just to character-assassinate him.
Everything about it smells like a cashgrab by dangling a actually beloved brandname in front of people.
>>
File: 1625701359358.gif (98 KB, 128x128)
98 KB
98 KB GIF
>>2727643
>people I don't like enjoy thing so I will actively not enjoy said thing
Truly big brain hours here
>Personally I dislike BG3 because its just Original Sin with a new coat of paint
Holy shit I WISH it was OS with a D&D coat of paint. It looks like it because it's the same engine but it doesn't work remotely like it, so I don't know what the fuck are you on about.
>It's not a Baldur's Gate game
What would be a "true" Baldur's Gate then? Another iteration of Golarion's Ward?
>>
>>2727784
>true Baldur's Gate
Nothing. The story is over and concluded.
>BG INO
An inspired new story set in Forgotten Realms that sets a new standard for D&D gameplay and CRPG storytelling in the 2020s, that just uses the Baldur's Gate name to maximize exposure (sensible marketing).

BG3 is not the latter. BG3 is a soulless, uninspired corporate cashgrab with just enough pandering with nonsense spectacle, mystery box bullshit, and gay vampire sex to get attention of overstimulated zoombie consoomers.
>>
>>2727881
>Nothing. The story is over and concluded.
So the entire city of Baldur's Gate should never be used again in a video game?

>BG3 is a soulless, uninspired corporate cashgrab with just enough pandering with nonsense spectacle, mystery box bullshit, and gay vampire sex to get attention of overstimulated zoombie consoomers.
And what would a "soulful" BG game be? The paragraph above that? Because quite honestly the standards for D&D gameplay have always been dogshit to the point that Solasta and BG3 are currently the best ones available, provided 5th edition doesn't trigger you. By which point then good luck because nobody will ever be able to make a WotC licensed D&D game that doesn't use the current edition. As for storytelling we don't even fucking know the whole story and characters, and if you think you do then you have successfully gaslit yourself into retardation.
>muh gay vampire sex
You mean the playerssexual companion? Or are you implying that vampires don't usually indulge in degeneracy?
>>
>>2726437
If you're okay with a cliffhanger after a solid 30-40 hours of gameplay go for it. Otherwise wait.
>>
>>2727643
The people that whine about the sanctity of Baldur’s Gate like you never played the ttrpg and it shows. Fucking secondaries.
>>
>>2727216
>>2727235
t.low iq retarded onions star wars consumers
I feel bad just for talking with subhumans like yourselfs, and, of course, you have nothing to say back but name calling because you are so fucking unintelligent and easily manipulated.
>>
>>2727132
>If you are not successful that means you never tried at the first place
heres (you), utterly pathetic.
>>
>>2727890
>what is soulful
For starters, writing that isn't merely a lazy hack job of random shit strung together artlessly. BG1 was inspired. It was not an amazing or incredibly original story but it was the story the author wanted to tell and a world the dev really wanted to give the player to explore.
>>
>>2727898
BG3 writing is JJ Abrams tier garbage.
>>
>>2725589
not specific to BG, its that thing where they remake a movie for name recognition, but they also want the younger crowd and not just the old fans
so what you end up with is some bastardized amalgan that no one is happy with, except it will still sell because its "the new Jurassic Park movie"
>>
File: unknown (4).png (50 KB, 300x300)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>2727927
>writing that isn't merely a lazy hack job of random shit strung together artlessly
I'm sure that means something inside your head, but for anyone else it's a complete guess what that even entails, let alone how to spot it.

>>2727928
how so?
>>
File: boomboom.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>2727784
>>2727895
And like clockwork the zoomer-cope arrived.
>hurr ur dum bcuz ur dum durr
>herp u din dun don play derp derp derp

The funny and sad part here being that you lack the IQ and self-awareness to realize you are acting exactly the way I described.
>>
File: writing.jpg (376 KB, 1200x1631)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>2727944
>I'm sure that means something inside your head,
No, he actually described it quite accurately.

>>2727928
>>
>>2728174
Can you give examples of character inconsistency in BG3?
>>
File: astfawgvaw.png (89 KB, 287x226)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>2728174
No, he didn't.
>lazy hack job
What makes BG3 lazy? Using the same engine? Because almost every single asset is brand new. Animations? All brand new too. Combat system? Brand new since neither OS1 or 2 played like 5e D&D. Story? Also brand new.
>of random shit strung together
This doesn't fucking mean anything.
>artlessly
As opposed to artfully stringing random shit together? Who fucking knows.

If you can't articulate what you are trying to communicate so as to anyone other than you can intuit what the fuck you're talking about then there is no point.
>>
BG3 has a negative perception because
>It's been in EA for like 2 years and it's still clearly a beta
>All of the companions are gigantic assholes that are basically impossible to like
>Even Gael is annoying and he's the token "good" guy
>Shit tier Larian combat where every encounter with a level 1 goblin takes 10 minutes even after they added the simultaneous turns
>5e is completely soulless
>Gameplay-wise, Baldur's Gate 3 has more in common with Dragon Age Inquisition than it does with BG1 or 2
>>
>>2728269
have you played inquisition?
>>
>>2725589
Because its made by the devs that made Divinity.
Another game people went full meltdown at how popular it was.
>>
File: 23235235.jpg (241 KB, 1280x1371)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>2728196
>What makes BG3 lazy? Using the same engine? Because almost every single asset is brand new
Well if you actually read what he wrote you would know ESL-kun.

Out of nowhere you keep going off about the gameplay for no reason at all when he was talking about the writing.

Its honestly amazing how hard you have to pretend to be retarded to defend this game. Just 10/10 post, you actually convinced me that you eat paint.

>If you can't articulate what you are trying to communicate so as to anyone other than you can intuit
what
Did you have a stroke?
>>
>>2728294
Nah Divinity is fine because it's its own thing and not trying half-assedly to be Baldur's Gate. In DivOS 1 you have a decent enough premise with some straightforward conflicts and a mystery to solve, which leads to some twists and a bigger higher stakes story that reveals more about the world and its lore. Nothing amazing but a decent excuse for a lot of adventuring and combat.

BG3 on the other hand just goes full retard.
>>
>game
thats a funny one
>>
>>2728196
>>of random shit strung together
>This doesn't fucking mean anything.
It means more-or-less what it says, although perhaps 'random' is careless hyprebole. What I meant by 'random' selected by committee for marketing reasons and propensity to pierce the zoomer brain fog.
- Dragons
- Githyanki
- Cast of Tumblr Donut Steel with romance options
- Needs an Avernus connection
And of course let's shine a big bright spotlight on the Mind Flayers from the very first scene and make sure to have horror-porn scenes of random nobody victims.
>>artlessly
>As opposed to artfully stringing random shit together? Who fucking knows.
yes for example when the protagonist meets frogface, the whole sequence is coerced into the desired scenario using the brain tadpoles rather than having any kind of genuine character-driven plot sequence. Writers want to have these crazy encounters with extra-planar creatures and fire-breathing dragons but don't want to do any work to set it up or make it work in a real story. But it doesn't matter because their audience is retarded anyway and doesn't care.

And in case you didn't get my sarcasm before, shining a big spotlight on your cosmic horror monster is an artless use of Mind Flayers as villains.
>>
>>2725589
Many things, from all sides
>it's basically divinity original sin 3, not baldurs gate 3
>the writing is atrocious
>the combat is subpar at best, if we're generous
>story is retarded
>narrative design choices are terrible and non-sensical at times
>>
>>2728814
>the writing is atrocious
as is tradition
>>
>>2725589
Innecessary , should have called "forgotten realms" but BG is a well known game.
Also it felt like a Versus 13 , planetscape or xenogear project, like they want to make to make a project to big to not end in a trainwreck.
Larian is a good studio so I hope they don't fuck up
>>
>>2728925
It's really in a league of its own, anyone trying to compare to original BG writing is disingenuous or too low IQ to have a valid opinion on the writing anyway.
>>
>>2726201
>bastard child of a god
It's not special. He has hundreds of them. There is literally a Bhaalspawn chicken in ToB.
>>
File: 1588568561668.png (76 KB, 250x251)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>2728311
>Well if you actually read what he wrote you would know ESL-kun.
I did. But the JJ Abrams question had already been asked by the anon above my post, and it's still unanswered. Good try on obfuscating the point in an attempt to avoid explaining meaningless bullshit, though.

>Did you have a stroke
That was english. If you can't understand a sentence then I'm afraid then you have quite a tenuous grasp on the english language.
>>
>>2727784
>Holy shit I WISH it was OS with a D&D coat of paint.
This. 5E is un-fucking-believably terrible, it is singlehandedly ruining the game.
>>
>>2727784
>>2729545
Surely they can hack it once full release comes; bring back the action point system.
>>
>>2725646
This.
>>
>>2729522
>JJ Abrams question had already been asked by the anon above my post, and it's still unanswered.
No, it's answered here:>>2728810
If you so dumb you still need more spoonfeeding, which is not surprising for a BG3 defender, it means depicting moments you haven't earned. To put it another way:

The "Rule of Cool" means that you don't let pedantic autism buzzkill your cool idea, it means you can cut corners sometimes if the payoff is worth it.

The "Rule of JJ" means you don't let any semblance of taste or storytelling whatsoever get in the way of whatever it is you want to put on the screen for any reason. It means you move from payoff to payoff without fussing at all about setup, pacing, tension, tone or any other traditional metric of good storytelling. Hint at whatever cool mysteries you want, you don't have to think anything through. You can always pull an explanation from your ass (or have some intern pull it from their ass) and stuff it in a throwaway line. Nothing has to make sense. Retarded Disney Wars fanboys will defend it to the death.
>>
>>2729552
>Surely they can hack it
That's not how this works anon. Unless they have fully implemented a "switch"

>>2729545
5e is fine
>>
>>2725589
it's not good, whereas 1 and 2 are
it's just divinity original sin which also sucked
>>
>>2725589
STOP WRITING IN THE SUBJECT FIELD
>>
>>2727927
>BG1 was inspired. It was not an amazing or incredibly original story but it was the story the author wanted to tell and a world the dev really wanted to give the player to explore.
BG1 is literally a Highlander knock off. Sarevok is literally the Kurgan which is how hacky the writing was.
>>
File: the forgotten realms.jpg (55 KB, 600x397)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2726908
>Nobody could make a modern game set in 5e hellscape Forgotten Realms without is being a chore.
>It's too mapped out, too rote.
What?

>but first edition and adnd did....
People age 50 and above are an irrelevant target audience
>>
>>2729076
stop coping, boomer
even the worst moments of BG3 are still better written than anything in BG1
>>
>>2729751
>>
>>2729762
The idea maybe. Either way the game is designed around the player slowly uncovering the mystery of their origins, and learning its implications. IOW the author was inspired by the concept.
BG3 is straight up retarded no matter what it's imitating.
That's what you idiots don't get. Pointing out where the ideas are coming from for BG3 isn't the whole point. The problem is imitation without understanding or passion.
BG3 is so bad it makes BG1 look like a literary masterpiece. I cannot respect anyone who defends BG3.
>>
>>2729793
Doesn't mean we can't make fun of you
>>
The people who complain about BG3 got filtered. Go play Witcher 3, might be more your speed, remember to put it on easy.
>>
>>2725589
because it feels more like divinity original sin 3 wearing baldur's gate dead skin as a mask
>>
is the eldritch knight subclass any good? want to play as a battlemage when this comes out
>>
File: 1659327054957664.png (429 KB, 513x697)
429 KB
429 KB PNG
>>2725589
I miss the times where tieflings and drows were considered as freaks.
>>
>>2730557
they are and i will murder the frog, the nigger barbarian, the manlet granny and the strong independent sharteel priest, then travel and rape the absolute in a party of white men
>>
>>2728269
DivOS 2 was full of grimdark depressive stuff. I expect BG3 to not have so much of that shit. If it actually has, I'm going to just skip the entire game. I'm not interested in meeting the 10th cat or dog and hearing how their owner raped them after feeding them razor blades.
>>
I think they are going to add in more of act 1 before full release, a lot of new voice lines were added in with this patch about shadow cursed lands just like leading up to with grymforge update.
>>
>>2730626
It is a Warlock, not a barbarian.
>>
>>2731178
i was taking about karlach
>>
>>2726027
I can't believe I got jipped into paying for this shit either. Bought it right when it came out. I will never pay for EA ever again.
>>
>>2725589
Just good enough to pay attention to, just shit enough to piss you off.
>>
>>2730647
There might have been "grimdark depressing" facts happening in dos2, but the tone is definitely closer to "quirky, hello i'm a modern person writing a fantasy setting". I dont know how you could ever call that game grimdark or depressing when it's a constant crossover between "look, im serious, please take me seriously!" and fucking disney crap.
>>
>>2725589
it more has to do with the fact it uses the monicker "Baldur's Gate" with all its connotations than it's actual quality. In fact, being a Baldur's Gate game is a limiting factor due to certain expectations the older fans would have for the game and they might as well would just make their own adventure based in Forgotten Realms anyway.

also lmao at the grognards with the delusion of putting BG1's story anything more than a standard low-level DnD romp. you'd have better success arguing for BG2's instead
>>
>>2731405
You didn't criticize bg1's story. That's exactly what the game is, the story is perfect for the game. BG3 meanwhile is a perfect story for the glue-eating tide pod audience.
>>
>>2731524
i didn't criticize it because i didn't need to if i wanted to describe it. since you wanted that, i'd say it is what it is: a bog standard run-of-the-mill DnD plot written on a weekend for a group to play a few sessions with. it's by no means "perfect". Especially by the time i get to Baldur's Gate, i was bored out of my wits with the terrible pacing and when things start to pick up, it was way too late to keep the momentum going + an ungodly amount of loredumps frontloaded to me like the writers ran out of time or something. hell, you can even say Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights 2 OC had a better low-level campaign than that.

tl;dr the BG1's story is just servicable with a few interesting twists, nothing more
>>
>>2731535
> it's by no means "perfect". Especially by the time i get to Baldur's Gate, i was bored out of my wits with the terrible pacing
In other words, you don't like open-ended gameplay with a slow-burn story. You don't like to explore or adventure. You need the story shoved in your face with lots of cutscenes-- you need encounters with talking brains on a mind flayer spelljammer ship crashed in hell to not be 'bored'.
>>
>>2731607
Are there lots of cutscenes in Baldur's Gate 3?
>>
>>2731607
anon, please. you wanna be disengenious by trying to argue that the plot of BG1 is actually good when most of the plot is happening at the background, sometimes long after you're involved, which is THEN conveyed to you occassionally by Elminster popping into each beginning of an act just so he can dump exposition to you in a cryptic way. what you're describing is what CHARNAME had with multiple myriad encounters before he arrives to the plot location and most of the time, Saverok is already 2-10 steps ahead of you by then. The argument is not about the adventures and encounters you have in the game as much as the story itself being barebones which most of your interventions are too late to have any significant effect to most of Saverok's plans anyway.

Besides, all you're complaining is about the damn tutorial section which is what? an hour tops before it's all behind you? everything else are just encounters after encounters which barely ties to the story at that point other than trying to get rid of the tadpole in BG3
>>
>>2725589
WHEN THE FUCK ARE THEY GOING TO FIX THE FOLLOWING:
- inventory UI
- joining and unjoining characters
- company follow AI so it doesnt fuck about on ladders etc
- fires that cant be put out
- the whole fucking mess at waukeens rest
- zhentarim base where you are forced to fight because of lack of communication options
- the awful loading times and landscape not loading
- follow camera getting stuck and broken on landscape
>>
>>2731633
>you wanna be disengenious by trying to argue that the plot of BG1 is actually good when most of the plot is happening at the background
It's not disingenuous at all retard. Plot happening in the background is a good idea when the GAME is about open-ended exploration. BG1 is one of the few games that manages to have a special protagonist with a character-driven storyline WITHOUT resulting in major ludonarrative dissonance. Putting the plot in the background is a big reason why that works.

>The argument is not about the adventures and encounters you have in the game as much as the story itself being barebones
Yes, that's why it's good. The story IS about the adventures and encounters you have in the game. That's the point. That's how a good game fucking works. And yet there is still a mystery and something special about the protagonist that you slowly uncover as you play through the game along with a destiny to face a specific final boss with whom you have a special relationship. BG1 is a rare game that manages to have it both ways.

BG2 meanwhile is much worse. You immediately have a major and seemingly-urgent conflict established between protagonist and Irenicus as well as a very clear plot goal to chase him to spellhold. Yet the game actually plans for you to dick around Athkatla doing side quests for weeks before eventually when you feel like it, asspulling a few lame excuses to justify it.
>>
>>2731633
>trying to get rid of the tadpole
Still the stupidest fucking idea for a D&D story I have ever heard. No, none of the other BG story ideas are anywhere remotely close to this terrible.
>>
>>2731682
>that's how a good game works
you seem to have a rigid mindset about what makes a game good. are you also going to argue that Mask of the Betrayer was garbage just because it's a lot more story focused with all your complaints laid out in it than it being freeform?

also you assumed too much about BG3 not having the same adventures and encounters like it was in BG1 when i had plenty of it past the tutorial in my experience. just with more cinematics, sure but it's no different than the usual dialogue mode from the infinity engine games minus the text walls
>>
>>2731305
Grimdark by definition is goofy and filled to the brim with violent, gory and brutality for just the sake of it.

It handles so many dark subjects and then pretends it's some lighthearted comedy, without dealing any of the subjects with appropriate gravity. It just makes everything worse. The writers are completely tone deaf.
>>
>>2731637
Why would they hurry when you all alreafy paid them? No sane person hates BG3 fans for liking a game, bust most people hate BG3 fans for ruining BG3. The game was 20% done and you all paid them full price. With no incentive to hurry we're now at 40% done, 3 years later.
>>
>>2731685
Getting rid of tadpole is just a narrative tool similar to what Larian has used previously in Divinity 2 to force all types of characters to move onwards and not just fuck about doing nothing. Its a very strong, straightforward and narrow tool compared to BG1 where you were just sort of thrown towards somewhere but similar to BG2 and Dragon Age: Origins.
>>
>>2731755
>you seem to have a rigid mindset about what makes a game good
Games can be good for many reasons. Allowing the player freedom to explore and adventure is one of them.
>also you assumed too much about BG3 not having the same adventures and encounters like it was in BG1
I assumed nothing. The point is that BG3's premise is absolutely fucking retarded and no amount of adventuring and encounters changes that. Especially when the encounters tend to be relentlessly terrible in terms of badly written yet try-hard dialog and awful, unlikable characters.
>>
>>2731766
It has not been in Early Access even a full 2 years.
>>
>>2731783
ah so it's just autism then. good to know
>>
>OP asks why something happens in every thread about a game
>it happens in the same thread
>>
>>2730557
I still consider tieflings freaks and kill them on any given opportunity.
Drows are to worship thought.
>>
File: 1659534723809925.jpg (67 KB, 399x351)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2730626
>>2732728
Do this in modern D&D pls. I'm excited to see how your grp will react.
>>
>>2729572
It really isn't.
>>
EA was a mistake. Paying for games that are still in development have a negative impact on the development process. The devs gain extra cash flow and either lose incentive to develop the game or overextend in what is realistically possible for them to develop given their skills/budget. This almost always causes the games to be unfinished messes.
>>
>>2732924
>This almost always causes the games to be unfinished messes.
Compared to every other rpg that is completely finished at launch.
>>
>>2732930
So? dosen't change the fact that EA games are typically unfinished messes worse than most games.
>>
>>2725589
What the fuck even ties it to the other two games?
Neverwinter nights did its own thing by using a similar setting. Why couldn't larian?
>>
>>2733019
it is a similar setting. the same one, sword coast of faerun
>>2732939
in case of larian the first act of the game is the only good one, because of their reddit policy when they show it to the public so it's the only one they flesh out
>>
>>2731766
>40% done
The game is finished with people playtesting acts 2 and 3 already and they're now just doing polishing and bug fixes for the remainder of EA you colossal retard.
>>
>>2725628
Nah it's 40 at most
>>
>>2733662
Yes yes I'm sure it will release next year, this time for sure :^)
>>
>>2733739
Yes.
>>
>>2726949
>I want interesting shit in a story instead of
>Therefore I demand instant action in the first twenty minutes of a game or I'm out
It reminds me of the slow burn during the beginning of Dead Space as you first investigate the ship, vs. Dead Space 2 where in the first 10 seconds of the game you get attacked by a necromorph
>But it's more exciting
it's stupid shit that ruins pacing and saps energy out of the story by going too hard too fast
>>
>>2732749
Do elaborate
>>
I get really excited and butterflies thinking how if we get rid of the tadpole in act 1, act 2 is gonna be something like your companions deciding whether or not they want to part ways. Can you imagine Lae'zel tripping over herself to remain in your company because you have high approval. Would honestly feel like a treat.
>>
>>2726908
>I genuinely like Pathfinders cosmology more than modern D&Ds so a big chunk of Forgotten Realms stuff feels mediocre to me.
Both settings are shit
>>
>find two dudes husslin' a granny
>kill them
>granny and my party says i'm a terrible person for killing them
>reload a save
>knock them unconscious instead of killing them
>granny and my party says i'm a terrible person for killing them
Great RPG.
>>
>>2725589
What game? The only thing that exists so far is a 20 hour demo that feels like an OS2 mod.
>>
>>2735193
true rpg player would beat the shit out of granny and his cuck companions
>>
>>2735208
>20 hour demo
Anon what games have 20 hour demos?
>>
>>2735449
Pretty much any Spiderweb Software game.
>>
>>2725589
You are on 4chan. It doesn't take much to get anons here to freak out and/or shitpost.
>>
>>2734840
I won't touch laezel for the first few playthroughs once full game is out, karlach + minsc + someone else for me
>>
>>2733725
nope
t.half-centenial
pirated BG1 it on release and shared with school friends
>>
>>2726007
>everyone else is a schizo
because they're actually schizo themselves
almost a quarter of zoomies are clueless if they're boy or girl
having a peepee or boobs isn't enough of a hint either
>>
>>2726145
>the shift in tone after you finally crash and get out. You just proceed to the generic village and roam around
uh yeah, congrats for answering yourself
it's classic fucking bait and switch and we're too old for that shit
>>
>>2735542
I just think it's more interesting when you give people a reason to stick around beyond fulfilling their immediate goals. Both the gals imply that they're gonna ditch as soon as the tadpole is gone, I guess Gale and Astarion would as well. I got a mental image of them crawling back once they 'leave' and it's too good.
>>
>>2726021
the only type of gay that this game lets you be is the midget kind or twinkshit that looks like it was designed by a fujoshitter
>>
what if after Wyll breaks his pact with Mizora we get to make a new contract with her?
>>
>>2736500
>negro of the frontiers leftovers
>>
>>2725589
Have you seen the retards over at RPGCodex? They have even more of a meltdown than the retards over here.
>>
>>2735193
Should have killed the granny too
>>
i kinda wondered why an actual alignment system and a Paladin class is never in place even after two years but then i realize almost about every party member you come across just may be subject to Paladins casting smite on them if you think about it. companions like
>Astarion
>faggy vampire
>SMITE
>Shadowheart
>worships an evil goddess
>SMITE
>Wyll
>devil slave
>SMITE
>La'zeal
>lawful but evil
>SMITE
only Gale doesn't have something obviously evil but he's keeping secrets that could be so
>SMITE
Larian probably realized they can't write lawful good characters without them falling into some sort of corruption so they try to stall it for as long as they can for this game
>>
>>2737281
Don't worry, the lawful good character was already written for them. That bald headed fuck is coming back as a companion, plot armor and all.
>>
>>2737281
>Shadowheart
Well there's a lot of hints that there's more to Shadowheart than her surface Shar worship
>>
>>2737300
most of the new companions do, to be fair. it's just that Paladins won't exactly the most tolerant about it unless 5e allows a lot more leeway on how the class be played out unlike the2wd IE games
>>
I have yet to see any genuine discussion of this game not descend into waifu-posting and it's about manfaced slut western heroines with an attitude problem at that.
>>
>>2737310
You start.
>>
>>2735569
Played Patch 8 a bit and Shadowheart only implies ditching with low approval.
>>
>>2737379
I'm pretty sure they all talk about having their own agendas once clear of the tadpole but I'm not sure if that goal will be realized in act 1 like they did in divinity original sin 2 with the source collars.
>>
File: 657657.png (693 KB, 1012x862)
693 KB
693 KB PNG
>>2725589
Its racism. Larian needs to deal with it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/dungeons-and-dragons-racism-b2137947.html
>>
>>2731847
It's absolutely autism: yours.
I said BG1's story is "perfect" for the game. My slightly hyperbolic use of this word short-circuited your broken, autistic brain.
Furthermore, your crippling autism interpreted my in-context comment as a global assertion that all games need open-ended exploration.

The last post was really just a final attempt to salvage something from a failed attempt to discuss the topic with someone who is either retarded, arguing in bad faith, or both.

>>2731769
>Getting rid of tadpole is just a narrative tool similar to what Larian has used previously in Divinity 2 to force all types of characters to move onwards and not just fuck about doing nothing.
Yeah I get that. That's partly why I hate it. I don't generally like that kind of trope in the first place, ESPECIALLY as a semi-throwaway "excuse to get moving." A game like Legend of Grimrock where the whole concept is that you're thrown into a prison dungeon and must crawl your way out, and everything about the game and its story is built consistently around that premise-- that's fine. A theoretically large scale CRPG with a large world to explore and lots of side quests really doesn't need to start off with a "free yourself from the curse" main quest.

But even granted that it serves a purpose, BG3's implementation of the trope is particularly bad. I already don't want to start the game with an exploding bomb collar around my neck, but in BG3 takes it to a whole new level of retardation where you have this special lore-violating magic illithid parasite in your brain holding you hostage and can potentially alter your perception of reality and sense of control over the PC. Hack lazy writers can use it to contrive any encounter they want (perfect example being the first encounter with Lae'zel). And then you're expected to just go about your business doing normal low-level D&D gameplay/exploration despite this massively overkill lore-violating main plot curse infesting your head.
>>
>>2737525
I love this so much because it's a total mask slip. They're basically saying that because orcs and drow are evil and criminally minded, they're like black people which is racist when they're literally nothing like them.
>>
>>2737763
No they just pretend that they don't believe races can have characteristics at all. They worship atomization and individualism while simultaneously conforming to a philosophical ideal they were brainwashed by and having no real personal views.
>>
>>2737768
Why is it always specifically orcs and drow always name dropped next to BLM as well? Hilariously orcs and drow aren't even black skinned and there IS black humans in those settings.
>>
>>2737770
Negative characteristics and the races that carry them get the main focus, not positive ones, but the hardcore don't like even positive stereotyping.
>>
>>2737779
It's retarded. The "pros and cons" are just stats differences. The personality is literally whatever within the frame work of the good evil lawful chaotic axis. It's so fucking dumb. It's as rigid as saying "big monsters tend to dwell in bogs".
"NOOO EVERY SPECIES SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE ANYTHING, DO ANYTHING AND BE ANYWHERE." What a horrendously dull setting.
>>
>>2737783
>What a horrendously dull setting.
Welcome to the world of metropolitan cosmopolitanism.
>>
>>2737786
Don't even play D&D anymore anyway hehe. I'll just play something else.
>>
It makes me sad to see people (fairly) critiquing the game when I'm really looking forward to it.
>>
>>2737787
Same here. I haven't bought anything from these companies in years.
>>
Just ran 5km and I'm celebrating by checking out pics of baezel.
>>
>>2737306
>>2737281
Paladins haven't been locked to LG for a while now, anon.
>>
>>2738012
Literally fuck 4th and 5th ed.
>>
File: EEAPZpRX4AYG7nK.jpg (30 KB, 356x404)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2738015
doesn't change reality, anon
>>
>>2737306
Right, well alignment is almost entirely meaningless now in 5e. Blame WotC.
>>
>>2738028
Alignment only has as much meaning as your table gives it.
>>
>>2725641
this
vrpg is just full of schizos
>>
>>2725589
i used to be the biggest BG fan, bought the game day 1
look how they massacred my boy
>>
I've been having fun with it. I made a pure evil female Drow ranger knight, with a a sickly looking halfling slave-bard. I really appreciate the amount of skin tones that are available with the "show all colours" box ticked.
The game itself has been pretty enjoyable. There are some dumb things like the bandit who comedically exclaims "shit!" as goblins are closing in all around his squad. I have audibly laughed and facepalmed every time I have watched that scene. I like to let the goblins swarm and kill his party before going in and picking off whoever is left.
>>
>>2738147
you can keep the dog and his crew alive for a quest iirc but it's also worth it to let him die just because he's that much of an asshole
>>
I've played BG3 demo for around 40 hours now and I still couldn't tell you what it's about. I just mash through the dialogue so I can get to the combat segments faster. I like it a lot more than I thought I would since I thought DivOS sucked.
>>
>>2738015
3e did it first, even if it wasn't in the PHB.
>>
>>2738733
Fair enough mate... Fair appraisal.
>>
>>2727890
>So the entire city of Baldur's Gate should never be used again in a video game?
not really, see Dark Alliance games
also it's not the city of Baldur's Gate, but rather the fact that it's called Baldur's Gate III (3), emphasis on 3
there is 0 reason to have a sequel to an already concluded story: the originals were about the bhaalspawn and his story ended in throne of bhaal, so to have a "sequel" now is pure bullshit
>>
>>2738012
which is complete and utter bullshit, i absolutely despise what they did to paladins in 5e and literally unless you pick lawful good and a deity to be a paladin you are not a paladin no matter how much you rp
>>
>>2738866
There was 0 reason to have a game after BG1 since that concluded the Bhaalspawn story.
>>
>>2725589
>DoS3: What causes this game to make schizos on this board have a meltdown?

fixed
>>
>>2725589
It isn't anything like the other Baldur's Gate games. There is no feeling of continuity. Larian games are trash.
>>
>>2738866
The series is called
>Baldur's Gate
not
>The Bhaalspawn Saga
>>
>>2726021
Is creating a male BBG and fucking him in the ass the true endgame of BG3 ?

"You penetrated my mind now i'm gonna penetrate that ass"
>>
>>2738047
Shame. There's barely any series you can discuss without some lunatics destroying the discussion.
>>
>>2738897
Hey it's a Dunning-Kruger midwit.
Not bad for a BG3 thread which is usually just straight-up retards.
>>
>>2738978
I really hope it ends up not being the worm.
>>
>>2725589
Alot of old retards that dont realiize BG was mid even when it released
>>
File: 1660279429597742.jpg (126 KB, 780x749)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
I don't like it because it's full with annoying modern D&D shit.
>>
>>2739785
it was baby's first rpg, hence all the retarded dickriding still going on
>>
File: 1641895768893.jpg (32 KB, 680x646)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>Karlach + Halfling romance
>>
>>2739938
>>
>>2739945
Now post how she looks in game.
>>
>>2738866
Since when does a videogame sequel need to have anything to do with it's predecessor?
You have had 30+ years of devs just slapping "Previous Game We Made +1" on the title because it takes place in the same setting and shares general gameplay mechanics.
But suddenly it's an issue when Larian does it.
>>
>>2740004
Dark Alliance was no issue because it was a fun fantasy game with light humor.
Baldurs Gate 3 is a woke dating rpg (where everyone can fuck everyone else) with races that were killed in the old games on sight.
>>
>>2739898
And what's better?
>>
>>2739898
Most people who played BG back in the day were in their teens at best, which is why their so nostalgic for it and think of it as some peak RPG.
>>
>>2740217
No, the main issue is that bg3 sucks and shills who have never played the originals desperately try to tear them down. They are stupid and make bad arguments so of course anyone who knows better and has some time to kill can issue a beatdown. Then you wait for the next thread to whimper about boomers.
>>
>>2740436
bg3 doesn't suck, there is nothing to tear down about bg1 everything is out in the open, shit combat, shit open world, shit inventory management, shit "le chosen one" plot... I don't think I need to expand on any of these you would know if you played them.
>>
>>2740436
Baldur's Gate is a cuck tranny game where you listen to women talk about how much cock they've taken.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.