[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!




Tactics Ogre Reborn finally announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHD91sQUOk
thoughts? I'm hoping the filter is an option, but I kind of doubt it will be. also this means the FFT remake is happening as well, so I'm curious when they'll announce that
>>
>>2725488
confusing the word remake and remaster again? for fft. doubt its going to be a remake like ff7 remake.
>>
>>2725488
Hopefully the "filter" is an option and we get to use the PSP sprites, but the UI changes seem nice. Day one buy anyway, since there's literally nothing else interesting to me this year, until the new SaGa remaster.
>>
File: gZ8xNMe.png (393 KB, 813x474)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
A bold strategy to kneecap player options by limiting spell/skill slots for no real reason.
>>
File: P5_02_en-ge4tkmk4i.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>2725570
And items are now limited too.

>>2725488
>The detailed pixel art that gives the game its unique feel has also been preserved and enhanced to look great on modern HD displays.
>preserved and enhanced
>look great
my ass. That's like upscaling with xBRZ and then repixelating for the fake pixel art look. Disgusting.
>>
File: 4381Ravness_3.png (139 KB, 480x272)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>2725580
Visually the character sprites always looked like ass.
It's the art, aesthetics and such that looked good.
>>
>>2725599
nta but speaking of ravness I couldn't find anything suggesting the psp/coda stuff is in
They talking about PotD as if that's the only endgame content.

But it seems highly unlikely they directly ported over the psp script without that just being the psp game with the sprites somehow digitally worsened.
>>
>>2725580
>And items are now limited too.
That's how it was in the original version (SNES).
>>
>>2725570
>For no real reason
The remake is just using a fusion of the SNES/PSX version and the PSP version's mechanics.
It's not as restrictive as the original where you used to have to choose between equipment and items for example.
>>
File: PSP.png (341 KB, 480x544)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>2725599
The sprites are blurred in the cutscenes because they are zoomed in. If you zoom out the battlefield they look great.

>>2725637
On the SNES you had general purpose slots. Now we are getting extra equipment slots, and apparently +1 MOVE to what we had on the PSP.
>>
Also this high-tech/digital font feels really out of place in this fantasy setting. It just doesn't belong there, at all.

More pics at the official website
https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/tactics-ogre-reborn
>>
File: P8_01_en-fx9il5gbm.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>2725686
Forgot the pic. Here, choke full of wrong.
>>
>>2725689
Isn't that just the font they use for all Ivalice titles?
>>
File: 1659612845158080.jpg (111 KB, 600x600)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Gather those 30 pumpkins wagie
>>
>>2725716
TO takes place in Xytegenia though?
>>
>>2725726
I know but it loved to reference Vagrant Story with stuff like the rood items referencing the rood inverse and Nybeth referencing THE DARK.
>>
>>2725675
Crisp != look good.

If anything they prioritized readability over looking good. As in each character should pop from the background and look distinct.

They wouldn't have needed to go extreme like current Natsume do with their remakes (redrawing sprites and upgrading them while staying faithful to the original), but redrawing the ugly character sprites would've been far better than blowing the current ones up to HD, filter or no filter.
>>
>>2725729
Either way it makes no sense for the UI to look like FF rather than the very game that's getting remade. It shouldn't look like a calculator in a game with no calculators to begin with.

I also have no idea why they ditched TP but kept the finishers. They'll have to nerf them if they consume MP now.
>>
>>2725739
I bet they consume HP, another reason for them bloating the HP values.
>>
>>2725740
Don't have the screencap but the OV creator said that the damage formula in PSP was so volatile that it was trivial to hit for 100s of damage with minor value changed when you plugged it in. He theorized that when they did the adjustment to help out the other weapons, that increasing HP was a necessary evil for a more stable damage curve.
>>
>>2725669
It is still more restrictive than the psp version given you're limited to 4 spells out of an entire tree. Which likely going to make niche picks flat out shit now if you're giving up access to other spells. Draconic going to be a clusterfuck, for example.

I was pretty intrigued when they were making the character progression character based because class base can fuck itself and one of the worst aspects of replaying the psp version is grinding Lord and death marching on top of every different flavor of dragon's classes having to be risen from zero
God damn.

But if moment to moment I have significantly less options that's probably not going to be all that hot.
>>
>>2725744
Yeah I read that as well
>>
>>2725745
They're going back to the old system which means all of the I/II/III/IV spells are going to get trimmed back down to just one spell. This trims down a lot of bloat from the various trees and puts a greater emphasis on preplanning what your characters can do because you don't have access to everything at once. This curbs Dark as a tree for example because equipping Dark meant gaining access to virtually every ailment for free.
You don't have to run Missile/Indirect/Summon/Filler on all of your characters.
>>
The 4 magic limit really makes single target spells look less attractive than multi target spells.
>>
>>2725752
>puts a greater emphasis on preplanning what your characters can do
that's never been true in any game in this genre.
The only thing it does is incentivizes bulldozing via the strongest option which was true and will be true again.

There's no real reason to cut options because weaker more niche ones stop seeing use when they're not generally applicable. It's a mess.
>>
Just use another mage unit if you want other spells lmao
>>
I'm very curious as to how skills that cost tp like meditate/conserve mp would be reworked with no TP.
>>
File: 052.jpg (1.6 MB, 4828x7008)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>Those tarot cards
>That map mat
>Artbook (granted I already downloaded the gallery from exhentai)
Goddamn I need that collector's edition
>>
File: JSqzKqW.png (62 KB, 310x272)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>2725752
>which means all of the I/II/III/IV spells are going to get trimmed back down to just one spell.
>>
>>2725762
If it's a newer artbook/cards I'll go for it. If it was just what was released when PSP came out though that'd be double dipping for no reason. The artbook in particular would need to be in english this time for me to swoop by and double dip. BD eventually got that treatment after they fucked up seconds artbook and it got reprinted by darkhorse.

Basically what I'm saying is if they release that shit in english I'll double dip again
>>
>>2725570
This is good, it's more true to the original version now and spellcasters aren't effortlessly dominating the game anymore to the point every other class is a joke, and hopefully magic schools are somewhat less unbalanced either since you can't run full Dark/Light magic+Draconic magic indiscriminately anymore and make anything else useless, I approve of this change.
Still, there's several things that I worry about
>Equipment seems still class locked for no reason unlike the original
>Tarot farming is still a thing
>Suicidal NPCs might very well be still be there
>Skill System??? How will that work and how will weapon techs work with no TP? Hopefully they don't keep drawing out of VS again and make them work like Break Arts even more.
>Crafting doko?
>Hopefully all that post game trash like the 12 heavenly general is gone
>>2725754
AoE elemental spells have inferior damage multipliers compared to single target, cost more and have less range despite being able to ignore elevation, they both have their uses outside of the postgame when your mage will be so busted AoE will almost always be the better option.
On the other hand that limit means summoners will be the way to go for AoE now since they won't be starved for slots unlike other casters, who'd prefer focusing more on utilities than damage, this also kinda sucks because summoners are locked to the four sisters.
>>
>>2725754
Missile spells are cheaper and have longer range. You also don't have to worry about accidentally doing friendly fire in the more cramped maps.

>>2725756
>Equip the float spell for the maps where you need better vertical movement and some other spell on maps where you don't need it
And if you find changing spells all of the time annoying, you can just do what people used to do in the older versions and TKoL where non offensive mage classes with spell access like Swordmaster got to use the utility spells.
>>
File: P9_02_en-zfgsjnwdc.jpg (758 KB, 3840x2160)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>2725763
>>2725752
>>
>>2725770
>this also kinda sucks because summoners are locked to the four sisters.
And valkyries
>>
Wait, just noticed the menu for units don't actually have hearts. They actually did away with the 3 chance system.
>>
>>2725770
Valks, Summoner (all 4/6 of them) and random classes like Matriarch.
>>
>>2725770
>and spellcasters aren't effortlessly dominating the game anymore
Archers? Ninja's? If they rebalance the game to contend with them then they could have rebalanced the game to contend with magic availability isn't arbitrarily limited.
Where your weak as shit early game casters are glorified stun/sleep/charm bots until Sum/Sham+ while enemy casters might as well not exist because spellward existed.

It's not a good change. Imagine if Lich is still completely dogshit slow as shit and now can no longer leverage it's ability to use nearly every school because lmao only 4 spells. Why the fuck would you take one over a necro lmao.
>>
>>2725739
Canopus with 16 MP fires off Ice Prison at 1:04 in the OP's video, hitting the enemy for 30% HP. The finishers might as well be free (cost RT) with such effect.
>>
>>2725806
>Archers? Ninja's?
Both are overrated as fuck in either versions, but unlike the OG version where casters kind of have drawbacks due to limited slots and other handicaps, casters completely rule in the PSP remake, they have superior range, damage, utilities and AoE, they have busted elemental multipliers just from wearing a piece of cloth that gives them weapon skill tier damage on simple spells but without needing to charge TP.
Archers are worthless in maps with odd elevation while Ninjas are a pure ST class with a shitty summon utility that only gets passable if you grind tarots, at which point they still get outclassed by a simple wizard that grinds tarots because said wizard doesn't need to move at all to erase enemies.

Honestly archers get memed purely because of Canopus and Aloser/Arycelle having roided stats that make the class look better than what it actually is, same reason why Haborym/hobyrim got memed back in the days despite Sword Masters being actually fucking garbage as a class template, some uniques have way higher core stats on recruitment than others that gives a very skewed perception of a class' actual worth, conversely a lot of newfags didn't understand why people hyped Haborym since the remake nerfed him and the class massively so he wasn't the broken, untouchable petrification machine he was in the SNES/PSX/Saturn versions.
>>
>>2725837
>shitty summon utility that only gets passable if you grind tarots
The summons are pretty useful if you slap on a shit ton of elemental augment equipment. Them not being dependent on mp also lets you spam them from turn 1
>>
>>2725837
Strike original from your consideration. This is a repolished version of the psp port down to them using the exact same script translated by alexander o smith.

>Archers are worthless in maps with odd elevation
hardly, on top of the fact that these basically go away entirely 7 hours in Archers retain the ability to one shot anything regardless of elevation.
>Casters completely rule
At end game
You're not using or carrying an entire team off the back of two mages at early game after hour one, you are with archers.
Ninja's are mid, they have great WT, amazing movement, impossible survivability, and can be configured to do stupid shit even with their summons. The only god king casters are Shaman and up (obviously including uniques) who kill something or somethings every turn. And limiting their spell library doesn't change that, it just shits on weaker/hybrid casters.

>Canopus
Canopus gets memed on because you're using a unit that can fly directly to a boss and one shot them in a game in which the vast majority of your story fights only need one unit to die to progress.
Inversely Canopus remains good but less good than a generic trained archer in kill-em-all stages because he only had access to a shortbow with a shortbows range and damage and limited options compared to the million longbows.

So yes. As reiterated time and again, limiting spell library does nothing but worsen things.
>>
>>2725806
>Archers and Ninjas
Dex weapons getting brought in line solve that issue. Archers always end up worse than spellcasters once the latter finally hits their stride in every version of LuCT anyway.
Archers also have to contend with swapping weapons depending on the map's vertical tolerance.

>Where your weak as shit early game casters are glorified stun/sleep/charm bots until Sum/Sham+ while enemy casters might as well not exist because spellward existed.
Spellcasters were dangerous in the older version between their damage and ailments. PSP's janky ass scaling is what lead to mages randomly flipping between hard hitters and ailment bots.

>Imagine if Lich is still completely dogshit slow as shit and now can no longer leverage it's ability to use nearly every school because lmao only 4 spells. Why the fuck would you take one over a necro lmao.
No one ran more than two spell schools on any caster. It also got nerfed to shit in the remake.
>>
>>2725847
Canopus uses Crossbows if you run him as a Vartan (superior ranged weapon access compared to bows) or you can just CC him to an Archer.
>>
>>2725855
Speaking of. How the fuck are finishers even going to work, now. There's gotta be a cooldown right?
>>
>>2725865
One clip from the video had Canopus use one of the axe finishers, we weren't able to see what the "cost" of it was so who knows?
>>
>>2725847
>Archers retain the ability to one shot anything regardless of elevation.
They don't, Archers are decent against non heavily armored humanoids but are completely worthless against things like dragons, octopi, golem etc. because they deal strictly with physical damage, which is the worst damage option in the game as everything and their mothers outside of ghosts/skellies has truckloads of physical resistance.
Casters don't have that issue at all because of the opposite issue, hardly anything has magical resistance, even in the PSP remake at best they have wards to decrease your hit rate, which in practice never actually works because you have too many ways to build your accuracy.
>At end game
No anon, in the PSP remake casters are already gamebreaking as soon as early chapter 2, a single earth caster/dark caster solos maps effortlessly from that point onwards, often without even having to waste time moving around too much.
>The only god king casters are Shaman
Shamans are locked behind too many layers of the story and grind to be worth it, the meta casters have always been Warlocks, in the remake that arguably goes to Necros because of the ninja tier RT, but Necro is a shit school and you'd still be better off as a Warlock with Dark+Draconic.
>>
Finishers could just have a heavy cooldown time before the character can move again as the cost, would that be enough to balance them?
>>
>>2725874
>dragons, octopi, and golem
I'll give octopi and golem because those are somewhat more common even if they are still limited but there's hardly any dragons outside of grinding maps.
>waste time moving around too much
Chapter 2 is still filled to the brim of kill units halfway across the world who take 9+ turns just to move their slow asses into kill range which still doesn't matter because we're still in the series of missions where canopus flies halfway across the map and weight/wail or brimstoning things to death.

>Necros
Necros require as many hoops to jump through as Shamans. Yes you can recruit out of low PotD but making your own means bending over backwards for Cressida on a specific route at a specific chaos frame. In comparison just playing on the right route is way easier.

tl;dr screw Cressida
And I still haven't seen anything mentioning CODA/Ravness
>>
>>2725897
That's Canopus and his superior stats + movement at work. Not the class on a whole.
>>
>>2725992
Canopus stats aren't that far and away better that you can't mog on the game with generics, let's be real, here.
Flight and early access to finishers is all you need. If enemy ranged was capable of hitting anything outside of gardens/Coda/late palace than he'd be at risk but how the fuck is something going to contest a man who can fly, for them, out of bounds and snipe their low armor units to build up TP that he'll use to one shot the boss.

Anyways I look forward to finally being able to use monsters again. Most woes about the new limited magic system will be assuaged by just bulldozing with the strongest options again. And good lord if they're tweaking balance bring back those KoL combo attacks. I liked those a lot.
>>
File: P8_03_en-yb0c6avaw.jpg (369 KB, 1920x1080)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
Classic Canopus
>>
>Re-recorded soundtrack
Again? Isn't this the third time?
Oh well. Another version of Three Kings is fine by me.
>>
File: 1659632572958339.png (287 KB, 601x349)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
>>
>>2725897
Ravness apparently appears in the trailer in one shot, so she's still in.

No idea about CODA. Though most of CODA is non-canon anyway.
>>
>>2725812
What's the bottom left image? Lancelot and ch4 Denam in the same shot. Is that CODA?
>>
>>2725488
>ugly sprites
>generic "HD" UI
>changed enemy AI
So the PSP version is still going to be definitive then?
>>
Why does Square Enix have to go fucking George Lucas mode on every game they release? Why can't we just have a fucking nice remaster? I was excited about the leaked Tactics remaster but now I know they'll probably fuck with the game mechanics and make everything look like shit.
>>
I'm hopeful that the gameplay changes make for an enjoyable game and if not at least both the SNES and PSP versions are dead easy to emulate so no big loss
>>
>>2726265
The UI basically looks the same as the PSP version, outside of the action selection which is new.

And new AI is likely a good thing. Chances are allied NPCs won't blindly run into the middle of danger anymore (which wasn't even an oversight, the devs admitted they deliberately made allied AI do that to make the game harder. They acknowledged that today they probably wouldn't do that now).
>>
Why can't they make a new Ogre Battle game?
>>
>>2726272
RTSs are pretty niche, particularly these days.
>>
>>2726271
>And new AI is likely a good thing.
Changing old shit around without an option to toggle it back to the original will never be good.
Stop fucking with the past, I want games preserved, not given the Star Wars treatment.
>>
>>2726280
Well then just go play the original. The existence of this game doesn't hurt you.
If they can improve on it, then I'll happily take it. If it's worse, well I have 2 previous versions that still exist of it.
>>
>>2726272
Real time strategy games intimidate casuals
>>
>>2726272
RTS is niche and they might be trying to revive the series with this one. Get everyone back on board
>>
>>2725897
You're gonna have to deal with dragons, and lots of them, the moment you choose to do any optional content, if they keep the new content from the PSP version than it is even more annoying since they added a shitload of dragons (and beasts in general) through all the new optional content and revised maps.
But even without dragons Golems are common enough to be annoying, hopefully this remake doesn't enforce Gordian Lock nonsense because holy shit that would make me want to kill myself
>we're still in the series of missions where canopus flies halfway across the map
That's on Canopus being a winged cunt AND having a better statline than anyone outside of again, Aloser, it has nothing to do with archers, turn Denim into an archer or better yet, use a freshly recruited generic and you'll see a drastic difference in terms of performance.
It will be even more interesting to see what happens in this remake since now we know there are going to be a lot more balance changes than we anticipated, including weapon skills, which are the only thing archers really had to prop them up as a class past the midgame, since now they can't count on being able to generate TP at range to fuel their nukes.
>>
>>2726281
>hurrr just go play the original
Someday the original won't exist anymore, and emulation shouldn't be our ownly option.
>>
>>2726355
Kill yourself then.
>>
>>2725999
>Canopus stats aren't that far and away better that you can't mog on the game with generics, let's be real, here.
Better stats and flying movement is huge for an archer/ranged character in the game. That's why generics are not even close to as good.
>>
>>2726262
yes it's a CODA scene
>>
>>2725812
Brimstone Hail is probably the way to go with Canopus nukes again.
>>
>>2725689
Good god that smudge filter is horrendous
>>
>>2725488
Can I marry my sister yet?
>>
Steam page is up, game looks hella ugly.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451090/Tactics_Ogre_Reborn/
>>
>>2726474
I'm pretty sure it looked better on PPSSPP when I played it 10 years ago, what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>2726480
Then you explicitly turned off the filters that made the game look like what it normally did on a real PSP. The upscaled sprites are clearly based on what things looked like on a real PSP.
>>
File: 1659633245454583.png (488 KB, 824x458)
488 KB
488 KB PNG
>>2726146
Did the frost and lightning gods ever get art prior to this? So far we only have new art for the earth and wind gods.
>>
>>2726491
The trailer has art for earth, wind, and lightning.
>>
>>2726492
Oh you're right. She has a horse.
>>
>>2726474
Yeah, not digging the new FFXII styled UI at all, what were they thinking?
>>
>>2726256
if Raveness is in, and she is I just double checked, CODA is in.
>non-canon
Doesn't matter
It's new units, 2.5 of which are at least distantly fun to use and fun content as long as you ignore a quarter of it and god damn it nobody likes going into palace that much.

>>2726351
>the moment you choose to do any optional content,
You can do 100% of the game and fight less than 100 dragons. You fight nearly three times as many golems. There's multiple mandatory fights that are 3 times as many of the shitheeps.

>>2726474
I'll admit. That's pretty rough. I know it's a bit much to hope things get the Odin Sphere Leifthrasir treatment but god damn.
Anyways
> as well as rerecorded live versions of Tactics Ogre favorites like Fight It Out! and Limitation.
Huh? Wasn't psp LUCT/Wheel of Fate already live recordings?
Actually now that I'm on it, wasn't Fight It Out! done by Iwata?
>>
>>2726565
>CODA is in.
proof?
>>
File: qnwqo9S.png (355 KB, 652x365)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>2726574
>proof?
CODA 1, barely pictured: Iuria
>>
>>2726582
Good enough for me, I loved San Bronsa Ruins.
>>
>>2725488

So, does anyone have a list of changes? It`s been years since i last played this one...
>>
>>2726587
They specifically mentioned that unit by unit leveling is back. Theres loads of other mechanical changes as seen by the screenshots but those have not been specifically detailed.
>>
File: 043.jpg (111 KB, 1280x1861)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
The sprite work looks like dogshit, but I'm mildly pleased for the slightly higher res Tsubasa Masao artwork portraits. Just surprised they're keeping the portraits constrained and small though, when he redid every single Yoshida drawing with detailed, full body art. Just their heads and shoulders doesn't do any of it complete justice.

like with Law Vyce for instance here, there's no in-game indication of cool details like his newfound bloodied cape whatsoever, missed opportunity
>>
>>2726630
To be fair that illustration of Vyce really didn't make much sense for Law route since Vyce was opposed to bloodying his hands with innocents.
>>
is Ravness in?
>>
>>2726663
Yes, we see her in some shots from the trailer.
>>
File: remake ninja.png (385 KB, 417x324)
385 KB
385 KB PNG
First katana finisher costs 40 of something and the second costs 50 of the same thing.
Perhaps their idea of balancing finishers is making them cost significantly more MP compared to contemporary spells?
>>
>>2726717
I will now buy your game.
>>
>>2726760
>40
I hope not. As in I hope that's not an example of them attempting that, since at the point that you've got a ninja spell IIIs and aoe 2's are around that range
I'm pretty sure the plan is to remove them from being finishers and just turn them into spells but for weapons. And since each weapon only has 4 finishers, you can only have 4 slots for spells to keep it "balanced"

Something that stupid makes the most sense.
>>
>>2725488
>thoughts?
why? just download the psp rom or snes fan translation and be done with it
>>
>>2727150
IIRC LuCT PSX/PSP and TKoL had finisher esque skills but they weren't as strong as the finishers in the PSP version (still stronger than regular attacks) and they had recoil as an cost.
If they're reverting to make it a middle man of PSX/PSP, then the weaker but more readily available variant is understandable.

Also if they were worried about making it in line with finishers then you'd have 8 spell slots and not 4. 4 is an intentional choice in reference to the originals and you can cover a lot of scenarios with just 4 spells especially with a team of 10, many of which are likely to be magic enabled.
>>
>>2727207
>Lodis
Lodis had a lot of shit and was altogether a different game with it's systems reflecting it. We're not beating the shit out of our own team mates for marks or w/e the fuck those were called and don't have combination attacks nor are we gaming stats and abusing snaps

8 finishers are 4 per weapon if what we've seen paints even a remotely close enough story 2handers are sitting still with 4

The original had 3 slots which proportionately didn't matter as there were half of the spells and they were all cheap as shit compared to PSP, which is the base they're using given that I-IV's still exist with the exact same MP costs
The most expensive spell in the originals was less than half as expensive as the most powerful spell in psp and MP seems to be the only thing that wasn't inflated.

And we still don't know how class active skills are going to get manhandled.
>>
Whats going to be your first route? I'm going Law because I want Ravness
>>
>>2727238
Neutral because I want to get Arycelle's bullshit extreme loyalty drop out of the way first before I do other routes.
>>
>>2726587
See >>2725686

>>2726760
I don't think it's MP, Canopus here >>2725812 uses finisher at only 16 MP. Probably HP, RT penalty or RT cooldown.
>>
>>2727256
I bet an extreme RT cooldown/penalty will be how they balance it, make them sitting ducks after using the finishers. It'll also prevent archers from raping maps by just constantly paying the HP cost.
>>
>>2727256
>>2727260
How much RT does a normal action like attacking without moving any spaces cost? We may be able to make an educated guess based on its RT cost and the cost displayed on finishers in these shots.
>>
>>2727260
I don't think they'd charge you RT, even something like getting lapped once by half the enemy team would make them unfathomably useless in practice against anything you can't one shot unless they jacked up the damage even higher than it was
And if that happened homogenization would happen among the finishing blows and their use case would still be unrealistic dependent on the map.
>>
File: P5_02_en-ge4tkmk4i.jpg (251 KB, 1920x1080)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>2727267
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-VdrZUQuHJ706GrDDEQ-BYcfyUPaJ-4SMVC2f_Q2XM/edit#gid=1093490208
>[D] Equip > RT Penalty (hex)
So 10-50, usually around 20-30. But that's on the PSP and Reborn has 2 more equipment slots; here fully equipped Canopus has total RT 97 and on the PSP it'd be around 120 I think.
Also his finishers, including the one he used earlier have no costs shown here.

What's the 3rd icon from the down on the left by the way, between Inventory and Dismiss?
>>
>>2727286
No clue
>>
>>2727220
>Emblems
You can get every emblem you need just from fighting enemies naturally. The only one I'd even consider getting in training was the one you'd get from hitting a target about 4/5 times back to back with a ranged weapon and that's for the free agi.
>Snapabuse
Snapdragons abusing was excessive and I'm pretty sure that only game without that shit was LuCT PSP.
Lodis had its quirks but its still closer to the non LuCT PSP games and thus can be used as a comparison point for this remake.
>>
>>2727286
Emblems?
Probably not but I can hope.
>>
>>2727310
>You can get every emblem you need just from fighting enemies naturally.
Maybe eventually. But you're not leaving the opening act with berserk or w/e the fuck it was called on everybody from wading in rivers of fairy blood in one hit. And don't get me started those bullshit ones that require you to jump through hoops and have a unit be every single class for that god emblem. Training was simply the easiest way to avoid a lot of bullshit.

And again, snap abuse existed because stat raising was retarded. Oh you can take that knight of yours to max but have fun with your nonexistent agility. Or you can just snap a faerie/ninja. Thanks for the speed, chump.

Wait I'm getting way off course, comparing it at all is foolhardy, the game is using the psp as base which itself was already far enough removed to be it's own thing entirely. Shit like I-IV makes more sense when you're choosing strength based on demand of MP at the time versus there being one sized fits all spells as in OG and KoL
>>
>>2727238
Law, like always.
>>
File: 1645304977215.jpg (17 KB, 199x325)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2727238
Chaos of course, not gonna let my best bro Gildas die and I'm not gonna simp for Ravness either
>>
>>2727320
>That entire first paragraph
That's a lot of text to say that I want instant gratification. Of course you're not going to be able to go through every class at the end of the first act when you don't have the stat or items required.

>Snapabuse paragraph
Same problem with SNES LuCT. A character raised solely in a specific class will have flaws in that class's bad stats.
Also, I-IV spells are just bloat.
>>
All this system talk is going way over my head so let me just ask whether things are looking good or bad for the remaster
>>
>>2727386
Things are looking ??? right now.
>>
>>2727386
there's a lot of little details in the trailer that suggest a lot of love went into the systems changes

and matsuno snapdragoning sakaguchi is fucking hilarious
>>
>>2727386
These sort of questions can only be answered by playing the fucking game, there are both good and bad ways to implement the things they've shown.
>>
File: 20220805-213352-001.jpg (333 KB, 1280x720)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>2727392
>and matsuno snapdragoning sakaguchi is fucking hilarious
Wat
>google a bit
>He actually made a sword out of Sakaguchi with snapdragon and called it a spinal sword
lmao
>>
Redpill me on this game,particularly the psp version, is it story heavy or am I going to have to fight 1000 battles to get 3 lines of dialogue
>>
File: FZY7GrGUEAAieCs.jpg (268 KB, 2000x1443)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
Is this a page from the script book in the limited edition?
>>
>>2727411
Also forgot to mention should I play with the one vision mod first playthrough or nah?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1
>>
>>2727416
if you don't want to wait for Reborn, One Vision is a fantastic option
>>
>>2727411
One of the game's strongest elements is in-battle dialogue and story content.

>>2727412
I can't confirm or deny, but that is game dialogue.
>>
>>2727423
>I can't confirm or deny, but that is game dialogue.
Then that's probably what it is.
>>
Just had a go of LUTC on the PPSSPP, gotta say absolutely horrendous performance, just gonna wait the 2 months for Reborn
>>
>>2727457
Do you have an ancient computer or something?

Even 11 year old computer before my current one could run PPSSPP with LUCT just fine.
>>
>>2727467
>Do you have an ancient computer or something?
>intel celeron n4000
>4gb ram
>intel uhd graphics 600
Quite literally yes but it is literally a fucking psp game, if I can run dragon age origins on it why the fuck wont lutc run
>>
>>2727473
Dragon Age Origins is older than PSP LUCT and you want to emulate on top of that? lol
>>
>>2725488
>weeb shit
nah
>>
>>2727553
>nah
weeb shit
>>
File: asgasd.png (61 KB, 302x346)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>2725737
>Crisp != look good
>they prioritized readability over looking good
>>
So what's the likelihood they added new content? Because I don't think Matsuno would be involved if it was just a remaster.
>>
>>2727588
I think they would have advertised that already, but who knows.
>>
>>2727401
>Double Attack is still a skill
I wonder if the various Magic skills are still abilities as well.
>>
>>2727572
Something can be practical but still look like shit, yes.
It can also be practical and look good, which these sprites aren't. Blown up to HD they look like garbage.
>>
>>2727588
>More shit to do
please no
>>
>>2727669
They don't look more practical than the original either
>>
>>2727381
>That's a lot of text to say that I want instant gratification
I'm just listing the use cases my man. There's also nothing instant about switching to 14 different classes and killing a generic like 4 times as part of that process.
>are just bloat
Can't be bloat if MP management depends on it existing for the early game. Late game doesn't matter as the game is broken well before that point.

>>2727386
Unknown as of yet. I'm optimistic but ain't holding my breath
>>
File: zoomzoom.jpg (441 KB, 750x1604)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
3 zoom levels in isometric view vs. 2 on the PSP >>2725675
Probably 3 levels for the bird's view too (vs. 2 on the PSP)
At least the new sprites won't look as atrocious when zoomed out to max.
>>
>>2727588
it's possible. IIRC there's supposed to be new songs. So who knows. Of course it could also just be some old fights have new/different songs like Clash of Giants being dropped into a few spots.
>>
>Buy
>Sell
>Hire
>Auction
>Craft
???
>Exit
>>
>>2727681
>They don't look more practical than the original either
They are the original sprites anon. That's my point. Adding a filter or not won't fix the sprites when you blow it up to HD.

As I said, you would've need to redraw the sprites for higher res, like Natsume did for their recent remakes like Ninja Warriors and Pocky & Rocky.
>>
>>2727757
You straight up won't hit the stat requirements or have the gear to meet quite a few emblems until the third act even in training.
MP Management didn't depend on having multiple variants of the same spell either.
>>
File: can.png (2 KB, 190x300)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>2727795
That's where you're wrong. There is nothing TO fix.
pic related is the original sprite that I just simply scaled up to 1000x its without bicubic scaling. Not only will you never see this "blown" up sprite in its 100% size because you can't even zoom in that much, but it is just as readable as the original because it was DESIGNED to be seen as a small image on your screen. If they wished to redraw it, that's fine by me, but if they won't then there is no fucking reason to apply a filter that complete shits up both readability and aesthetic of the artwork.
>>
>>2727822
>explained what I mean several times
>he still doesn't get it
So you're illiterate and not someone I should waste time on.
>>
>>2727825
Your original post claimed they prioritized readability. I'm just showing you how categorically incorrect that assumption is.
>>
>>2727828
>Your original post claimed they prioritized readability. I'm just showing you how categorically incorrect that assumption is.
They did prioritize readability with the original sprites. This is fact and what you think is irrelevant. This is not an assumption, this is dev standards. You're the one making ignorant assumptions on top of being illiterate.

You're absolutely not worth my time, so don't even bother trying to beg for more of it.
>>
>>2727835
I see you are autistic, so I'll clue you in on some social cues: When the entire thread is discussing the new spritework and you refer to "they" making anything, especially without specifying whom """they""" are, it will be assumed you mean the people responsible for the filtered upscaling, not the original artists.

I'll take your concession that you are too inept to hold a conversation, though.
>>
>>2727822
https://youtu.be/5HL0CVgyU3k?t=500

Imagine thinking this looks good.
>>
>>2727844
looks fine
>>
>>2727844
It looks like vomit LMAO that they charging 50 bucks for a very lazy port

We added phone game and made ai slightly better prease enjoy! 50 dollars plz
>>
>>2727842
I literally said the original sprites, you braindead retard.
If you translate this into "the sprites that were treated with a filter", especially in the context of my posts saying this is not the case AND I specifically flat out stating it's not the filter, then you're a subhuman sack of cum.

You're factually a braindead piece of trash that should kill yourself so you don't waste anyone else's time. You're too stupid to be allowed to live.
>>
>>2727848
The price is too high, I agree but I have a bunch of Steam dollars that I've been wanting to get rid of so whatever. Unit specific levels is the best QoL change out of this remaster.
>>
>>2727848
>being some jerkoff who thinks that English and Japanese voiceacting for an absolute gigantic amount of dialogue, and new translations into additional languages on top of that, is not worth a good chunk of money
>thinking it's a lazy port when considerable work has been done on balancing the game and other gameplay mechanic changes to make it a definitive version of the game
>>
>>2727853
Not that guy but honestly the voice acting doesn't add anything (I doubt it will be as good as the Saturn one either) and if you're playing this game in any language other than the original one you're reading internet tier fanfiction, not to mention how nobody who's not an english speaker gives a damn about this game anyway.
If you want to give people a reason to fork 40 bucks mention the gameplay changes.
>>
>>2727858
regardless of whether or not you think it's a good addition doesn't remove the fact that both of those things cost a considerable amount of money
>>
>>2727853
super cringe voice acting 50 dollars please! Balance is not important when the games difficulty wont make a 12 year old think
>>
>>2727865
then go play the remake or the original, if you find no value in what reborn is offering, you are clearly not the intended audience
>>
>>2727848
>>2727865
Yes
>>
>>2727871
imagine if square enix had to actually put in a dime of work besides print cover for video game boxes I used to do that back in the day stuff I pirated.
>>
>>2727872
okay
>>
File: 1608360681500.png (37 KB, 188x149)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>2727850
cry harder you autistic bitch nigger
>>
>Dual audio
>Redone OST for the third time
>Gameplay changes
>Other random shit
It was never going to be less than 50 dollars.
>>
>>2725488
>Episode VII
wait how many of these where there? I know the N64 had a couple. There was that one on GBA. THIS ONE.
>>
>>2727950
4
The March of the Black Queen
Let Us Cling Together
Person of Lordly Caliber
The Knight of Lodis
>>
>>2727952
Ah so they're just pulling the xenogears shit
>>
>>2727957
It was because of Star Wars.
>>
>>2727957
Oh wait I forgot one more, The Prince of Zenobia. Note that neither Prince of Zenobia nor Knight of Lodis are considered main entries but rather Gaiden/side stories. Only The March of the Black Queen, Person of Lordly Caliber and Let Us Cling Together are considered numbered titles.
>>
>>2727959
I doubt they're trying to emulate a declining IP
>>
File: ugh.jpg (38 KB, 960x544)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>That ugly filter that Square can't stop slapping on games
Watch these faggots try to pawn us a "Tactics Ogre Pixel Remaster" a couple years later, too.
>>
>>2728055
what are you even talking about, Tactics Ogre was labeled as Episode VII in 1995
>>
>>2728081
they will probably do that with how much people are bitching about having visuals you can't have outside of emulators
>>
>4 skill slots only
Oh boy I really look forward to not having enough room for movement, jump and wade skills. At least I assume you don't need a skill slot to use a magic school anymore.

Not a fan of the 4 spell limit either, I'd rather they just rebalance the schools by removing some options from Dark
>>
>>2728205
>>2727401
Everyone has higher movement and jumping by default.
Magic was also horrendously broken in the non PSP versions with enough Dex stacking even with just three spell slots maximum on some classes
Taking away some options from dark also doesn't really change anything when you can just cover it with another element. You know the usual Fire/Earth/Lightning + Dark combo that everyone runs.
>>
>>2725488
They should bundle the PSP version (download code) for free if they are asking this much for what's going to look that bad.
>>
>>2727880
Why cry over someone like you being retarded and illiterate? Other people being retarded only strokes my ego and makes me feel superior.
>>
>>2728358
>the graphics are the only thing that should count toward a cost of a game
have you considered buying Crysis Remastered instead?
>>
>>2726474
>$60 super duper premiun digital edition
>only extra is the ost
lol, this wouldn't bother me if it was hi-res or at least cd quality, but it's gonna be mp3
>>
>>2727812
We're talking about early game, earlyish anyways where you're not grinding skills for turns and shoving grass into your face unless you hate fun.

>training
You can one shot units with training which otherwise wouldn't which is part of the reason a tool like that even exists.

>>2727822
>There is nothing TO fix.
Errr... I don't know about that chief. Those sprites are aggressively dated at this point. I still like and am fine with how the game looks and believe the filter is worse in every possible way, but saying that the game couldn't have done with some respriting in the same way FF PR's did... I don't know about that.

>>2727853
>new translations
*same translations
Unless there's a spot I missed, it's just a ported version of the psp script that was done by Alexander O Smith.

>>2728081
The Pixel Remasters outside of the contentions I have with the gameplay changes with 1 and the fuckup with 2's positions are legitimately alright experiences. If they didn't axe bonus content that would have been alright.

Squares like 50/50 on remasters. You've got LoM and SaGa. And then you've got shit like Cross and FF8. You never know what you're going to get. It's like pandoras box. Everybody is just on copium hoping some random who's tinkering with the game know what the fuck they're doing and aren't going to hopelessly fuck it away.
>>
File: languages.png (12 KB, 308x247)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2728670
> *same translations
> Unless there's a spot I missed, it's just a ported version of the psp script that was done by Alexander O Smith.
You missed that Reborn is an EFIGS release.
>>
>>2728670
Also there's new content that requires new localization. There's at least one new line shown in the trailer.

https://twitter.com/kajipro/status/1555778607439437825
https://twitter.com/aokajiya/status/1555779052677476353

There was a tweet by a Japanese writer about having worked on Reborn, but I can't find it out.
>>
>>2728679
find it now**
>>
>>2728681
Found it, because I'm a dumb mongrel.

https://twitter.com/apricotlollipop/status/1555112443273105408

Kyoko Kitahara was involved with Reborn development.
>>
>>2728674
Ah that's what you meant. For some reason my mind was thinking you were talking about them updating the translation we got for the psp release and not translating it into a rainbow of languages for the global market.
anyways

>>2727871
God damn is that a tiny ass artbook. I could have sworn the original psp had the full ass thing. I still have the tarot cards in the drawer at my desk.

>>2727865
12 year olds still bitch about Qadriga fortress lmao

>>2728679
new content is a given given the previous ""leak""". Hope they don't do the Live-a-Live remastered route where there's a new """"super"""" boss and I have to spend hours of my time grinding up units I would never use because lmao use all of them. And for heavens sake don't make me go back into palace an additional time.

>>2728689
>Kitahara
That's a blast from the past. What the hell has he even been up to these past years.
>>
Apparently the FF14 team has been involved in development and they have been super anal about balance.
>>
>>2728695
> Ah that's what you meant. For some reason my mind was thinking you were talking about them updating the translation we got for the psp release and not translating it into a rainbow of languages for the global market.
anyways
I wouldn't be surprised if they did update some lines, but all the lines they did show (besides the one new line I noticed) were identical to PSP.

> new content is a given given the previous ""leak""". Hope they don't do the Live-a-Live remastered route where there's a new """"super"""" boss and I have to spend hours of my time grinding up units I would never use because lmao use all of them. And for heavens sake don't make me go back into palace an additional time.
The new line I noticed is in an existing cutscene, so they're probably adding more branching cutscene variations based on your choices, at absolute minimum.
>>
>>2728695
>God damn is that a tiny ass artbook. I could have sworn the original psp had the full ass thing. I still have the tarot cards in the drawer at my desk.
what's funny is the "new" artbook that's getting an English release seems to be the original PSP artbook, but now in English
>>
>>2728700
Where'd you hear this little nugget from?

>>2728702
Insane Lord Catiua route, here we go.

>>2728711
I mean. I'll buy it again if it's in english this time. I have literally everything else related to either this franchise or done by Yoshida. With the exception of the ps1 tarots. They were like 50 for a time off of ebay but
Anyways speaking of 50 usd
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set
Bro, I already have these. The only difference is that the case for the cards is better looking. What the flying fuck do they think the value of these things are

It's more expensive than the damn artbook.
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/764419/the-art-of-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-artbook
...
Guess I'll go ahead and buy them both now...
>>
>>2728724
>https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/767982/tactics-ogre-reborn-tarot-card-set
I want the map, personally. The tarots are neat but not really in a "display this somewhere" way.

>Guess I'll go ahead and buy them both now...
ain't that the truth
>>
>>2728734
The artbook is only a sure in because they are probably doing it in english.The entire Bravely had gotten a second print that was also in English. I'm sure BDII did as well but new artist so I don't give a care.
>>
The map mat is a bit big but I like it, I can use it for card games.
>>
File: 20220720_140507.jpg (3.09 MB, 2459x4032)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
>>2728758
I already got one made for ygo when the artwork leaked lmao
>>
>>2728670
>You can one shot units with training which otherwise wouldn't which is part of the reason a tool like that even exists.
Atropos/Lachesis/Clotho on a low defense target.
Summoners with enough Int trivialize a lot of enemies.
You still need to get some levels and better gear under your belt to reach the 200+ damage in a single hit threshold required to trigger the Berserk emblem even if you're hitting a Level 1 unequipped fairy or anything similarly frail.

Spamming training is also a bad idea when you're on the clock for getting the A+ ending.
>>
>>2727871
I wish it had a PC version too.
>>
>>2728840
>when you're on the clock for getting the A+ ending.
Let's be real. Once you've beaten KoL once the entire game takes literally a sixth of the time to play through than what is required to meet the time requirements for A+

You're not squeezing for time.
>Level 1 fairy
I don't recall needing anything to one shot that other than having one available. One shotting it 30 minutes into the game was aggressively easy on any flavor of playthrough.
>>
File: vbocnA2[1].png (226 KB, 512x448)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
you know what they should bring back?
Training mode, so I can automate the grind
>>
>>2728920
There is a PC version, unless you meant a PC collector's edition, which doesn't matter because that collector's edition is JP only.
>>
>>2729016
Ah yes, throwing rocks at each others for hours, simple fun just like the good old days...
>>
>>2729022
what part of automate don't you understand?
>>
>>2729023
Ah yes, throwing rocks at each others for hours, simple fun just like the good old days...
>>
>>2729023
Anon, surely you're not suggesting automating inane grind is a good thing, one of the few things the remake did right was doing away with training mode
>>
>>2729030
>automating inane grind is a good thing
better than leaving the grind and removing the automation
you bet I'd automate grinding those cancerous ranked skills, unless those were removed which would be great
>>
>>2729039
How about we have neither, hmmm?
And frankly with all the shit there's to do since the PSP remake you hardly need training mode to come back if you need to grind shit, you just need to do those ungodly long sidequests really.
>>
>>2729047
You're grinding no matter what unless they dramatically change how fast it is to rubberband lower units.
That shit is awful.

Option A) Get a new unit go to a grinding map and turn your soul off
Option B) Get a new unit and field a useless unit for 15+ maps
I really don't want to deal with that again.
>>
>>2728724
CoffeePotato did a deep dive video on what was revealed about so far about TO:reborn and that included JP tweets.
>>
>>2728959
>Clearing a slow ass game like TKoL in just 4 hours
I doubt you're a speedrunner.
>>
Will they censor anything though? It may seem small but hiding the "black" lips in Legend of mana was awful.
>>
>>2729462
not sure if there's anything to censor, the sole black guy in the original already had his slight makeover to look less like Mr. Popo in the PSP port.
>>
File: 1649721952160.png (894 KB, 844x684)
894 KB
894 KB PNG
>>2729462
Final Fantasy 8 remaster
Legend of Mana remaster
Chrono Cross remaster
Live A Live remake

All have been censored in some way or another, so my guess is yes.
>>
>>2729018
Yes, I meant the Collector's Edition.
Fuck me. They still have tarot, artbook and OST on SE store to order, but that's lame compared to it.
>>
>>2728700
a bit concerning, since FFXIV's PvE balance is some of the most finely tuned but fucking boring shit i've seen in any "RPG" ever all because they're obsessed with e-sports world first savage progression no fun allowed bullshit, but we'll see what they do to a nearly 30 year old single-player game. I can only believe XIV is involved at all only because the PSP team was the same group of guys who went onto ARR to begin with

>>2727858
>voice acting doesn't add anything (I doubt it will be as good as the Saturn one either)

The Saturn voice acting was shockingly droll and phoned in outside of its incredible all-star cast, with Hayami and Koyasu of all people as Tartaros and Hamilton somehow making the iconic prison chat scene sound like a snoozefest. Reborn will be completely up in the air though, the cast is completely different
>>
>>2729462
There's only one black guy in the game, they do use "blood war" instead of ethnic cleansing/genocide
>>
>>2729473
>Final Fantasy 8 remaster
What happened with that one?
>>
File: EDWuoRCXkAAGcIq.jpg (238 KB, 2153x726)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>2729578
>>
>>2729596
Rinoa's cleavage as well. But I'll be fair, even young me thought Siren was naked and this was highschool days when I was still a dumb ass. So that part made sense.

>>2729193
Alright this was clearly an exaggeration but what I mean to say is that acing through the game on repeat playthroughs at 8-12 hours out of what? 25? 30? isn't that difficult when you have what? 5 dozen fights? Less than that? You'd have to be unfathomably unlucky and/or crippled to have repeat playthroughs stonewall you in any way shape or form no matter what the fuck you do. Less you're doing some real weenie shit like trying to A+ on your very first playthrough in a game meant to be played multiple times while simultaneously proceeding on a route to 100% to the best of your ability and are also doing a slow ass reading of a guide.

>>2729462
Any censoring that could happen, has already happened. Maybe they lighten up on some of the more sharper themes. One of the routes for the one of the characters more gently dies instead of what happens to her otherwise. No more ethnic or whatever. Who knows, Square's been on a roll with sanitizing the shit out of their remakes of anything that could trigger people who aren't going to buy the game.

As long as they don't touch the artbook I'm fine. And I doubt they're going to do that after Bravely Second shit the bed. If it's particularly offensive I don't doubt one year far down the line somebody unfucks it.
>>
>>2725488
I wanna hear what the remake of this song sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pitih73euL8
>>
>>2729578
Lots of reviews mention random shutdowns.
>>
>>2729759
I can't believe they censored the game from running.
Follow the conversation, anon.
>>
File: SS_0243.png (241 KB, 480x272)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>2729701
>No more ethnic or whatever
You mean Blood War
>>
File: 1587305378416.jpg (52 KB, 500x500)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2729462
> remake or remaster
> in 2022
> not censoring anything
>>
Reminder that Olivya's nopan thighs were too haram for the dirty gaijin.
(pic related is technically from JP DLC, but the full game has the same pic, unlike non-JP ver)

https://nopaystation.com/view/PSP/NPJH50348/TACTICSOGREPSSDL/1?version=1.02
https://nopaystation.com/view/PSP/ULUS10565/TACTICSOGREPSSDL/1?version=1
>>
>>2725488
How the fuck do they justify charging 50€?
>>
>>2730434
anon, have you tried reading the thread?
>>
>>2725488
Why don't they just port the original game with mouse support? I'm sure it would be easier and we'd already have a game.
>>
>>2730434
Because they actually spent time and made quite a few mechanical changes to the game. If they wanted to just do a straight port over of the psp version it would probably be in the 25 to 30 range.
>>
How likely is it that the upcoming FFT "Remaster" is going to be a semi remake like this?
>>
>>2730643
Hopefully it's a proper HD-2D engine remake
>>
>>2730643
Probably be alright.
>>
>>2729975
blood war sounds goofy asf. Censorship never bothered me in jap vidya. Is there one game in particular where its bad that it really degrades the experience?
>>
Wouldn't something like blood war fit better for the time period? A term like ethnic cleansing seems modern.
>>
>>2730670
just how new do you think the term "ethnic cleansing" is?
It's a game with very hard themes partially inspired by the Yugoslav wars in general and the ethnic cleansing of Bosnia in particular
>>
>>2730689
Didn't the term really catch on in 90s with the yugoslav wars?
>>
>>2730689
Its not a question of its ethnic cleansing (it most assuredly is) its if the term would be time period appropriate. Anyone with half a brain understands that its ethnic cleansing I just don't think people in fantasy medieval Europe would not call it that.
>>
>>2730691
I general but it's existed as a concept way way way fucking longer than that.

>>2730708
Guy, the main character is named after the fabric of a common pair of jeans. Come on.
>>
>>2730708
*would call it that.
>>
>>2730710
Yea and they probably changed it to Denam because it sounded stupid and not time appropriate.
>>
>>2730713
Alexander O smith does an interview specifically about a lot of the thought that went into the localization process the first time m8.
>>
Wait. This is a stupid conversation to have to begin with. it's not fucking done because of consistency

In the same way that SaGa Frontier Remaster changed Genocide Heart into Carnage Heart for censorship reasons.
Shut up about that.
>>
>>2730715
>Denam Pavel had previously been Denim Powell. When I hear “Powell,” the first thing I think of is Colin Powell, and that jolts me right out of the world.
Yep. He did stuff to make things suit the world.
>>
>>2730713
Ah yes, the historically appropriate naming conventions of a fucking fictional world, you O'Smith simps are fucking pathetic.
Though admittedly that's just one of the many reasons why he's a hack and the localization is atrocious, don't wanna forget all that midwit purple prose, let alone all the other shit he invented and added to the script.
>>
>>2730727
I think games that depict certain time periods (whether it be fantasy or more realistic) do need to be grounded with historical context to a certain extent.
>>
File: 1630311033862.gif (1.47 MB, 236x250)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB GIF
>>2730732
>WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE FICTIONAL "HISTORICAL" PERIODS
>But real world history facts that are actual influences on the game's world and writing? Heh, those don't matter chuds, my feelings are more important than actual history
>>
So I'm reading more of that Localization interview and Matsuno requested Warren's last name to be changed from Moon because he wanted to move away from using real peoples names. Who is the Warren Moon he was originally referencing? All I can find is an American Football player.
>>
>>2730741
>Depict Ethnic cleansing
>Show the effects of the act and directly address its effects
>Its somehow ruined because I don't use the exact verbiage and try to make it sound more medieval-y.
>>
>>2730719
>Colin Powell
Literally who?
>>
>>2730710
>>2730713
"Denim" is a contraction of "de Nimes" (from Nimes - a place in France), which would be a reasonable last name for the period and etc. But not first name, though.
>>
>>2730771
Don't be daft. Matsuno has an interview about why he picked Denim as well
>>
File: 1650251516200.jpg (165 KB, 907x724)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>2730732
I can agree with that, but you're heavily focusing on the use of one term not being period appropriate when the entire script isn't period appropriate to begin with because they're not speaking in Middle English or even Early Modern English, they're just speaking in fanciful Modern English.
Also, Smith is a retard with a history of making stupid changes for stupid reasons with little respect for the original intent.
>>
>>2730771
He named him Denim because its the fabric of freedom. I shit you not.
>>
>>2730773
https://web.archive.org/web/20150320125916/http://valour.ru/tactics-ogre-qa-eng
Q: Is it true that Denam and Vyce’s names come from the jeans “denim” and from “Levi’s”, respectively?
A: Yes, the assumption is correct. I’d like to point out that I didn’t create a similar name for Catiua, though. On one hand, Denam and Vyce are of the same social class, while she is from a very different lineage. Also note that, for the fashion of the 20th century, jeans were to some extent representative of “freedom”. I also had that in mind when choosing the names. (Matsuno)

If anyone's confused about Vyce relating to Levi's, in Japanese his name is written as ヴァイス, and Levi's would be リヴァイス, so [Ri]vaisu. The English name probably should've been written as Vyze instead to convey that, since the sound is different.
>>
File: 1653076719647.jpg (381 KB, 687x1000)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>2730755
>Localize a game
>Change conscious and meaningful writing choices regarding naming and speech conventions because you think you know better than the fucking author
>It is somehow better than the source material because it fits your deranged headcanon
Yeah, I'm sure everyone sounding like a caricature of a shakespear character is so much more enjoyable and "historically accurate" amirite?
Reading complicated words like succour sure sends shivers down your spine.
>>
>>2730786
The first Canadian jrpg protagonist
>>
>>2730792
>not wanting to be granted SUCCor
Also I think its fine when the meaning/message is kept in tact. Its not changing the war plot into a vampire novella.
>>
File: 1654433953511.jpg (39 KB, 710x615)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2730803
Except it's not kept intact at all when you systematically remove all the meaning behind naming conventions, outside of the redacted writing being exceptionally distasteful in terms of quality of the prose, or the shitty additions like the cringeworthy OC spell formulas that do not exist at all in the original script.
Though it's not like Denim is the only victim here, after all O'Smith, in his supreme incompetence, also made sure to also remove all the Ars Goetia references, because who fucking cares about subtext, amirite? We americans know better.
>>
>>2730803
>Also I think its fine when the meaning/message is kept in tact.
And when it isn't?

>>2730806
>also made sure to also remove all the Ars Goetia references
Can you elaborate on that?
>>
>>2730806
Wait they kept the Ars Goetia names. I saw stuff like Barbatos, Barbus, Brantyn etc. Also half the time these JP devs reference the fucking Ars Goetia its just for a fucking cool name and not some sort of profound connection to the demon in question.
>>
>>2730809
To be fair, Denam's original response is fucking retarded.
>>
>>2730828
Anon, that's the previous line.
>>
>>2730809
Alright I'll give you that. They made Leonar more of an asshole and I guess Denam comes off as more pure/naive in the JP version. I don't think its too crazy in context of Law Denam.
>>
>>2730809
Several characters are named after demons from the Ars Goetia, of course O'Smith didn't care and still changed names randomly just because he could.
>>
File: saturn psp.jpg (108 KB, 1123x393)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2730833
>They made Leonar more of an asshole
Another example from the ethnic cleansing incident. I haven't looked at it too closely but I get the impression that Japanese Leonar was meant to be more miserable, for lack of a better term.
>>
>>2730832
Yeah, my bad. Been a decade since I played it and didn't realize greyed out means previous.
>>
>>2730840
I think the first example was better in terms of showing a difference in tone.
>>
>>2730850
I don't. The first example is one that just completely cuts half of the sentence for no reason, the second one invents new dialogue that changes the meaning from Leonar lamenting the loss of innocence into him accusing Denam of not being that innocent. It's a very different line.
>>
>>2730840
JP Leonar is more of a tragic character who nevertheless commits to his role because he's too jaded, bitter and cynical to do otherwise, you can see he does hate himself for what he does, EN Leonar on the other hand sounds more like a goody two shoes, as in he recognizes Denim's noble intents but also tries to play the "tu quoque" at every turn which is kind of annoying.
Most characters have been altered in the localization, Nybeth's another case where the localized character becomes almost a parody of the original, EN Nybeth sounds like a cartoon network villain, JP Nybeth on the other hand is much more straight to the point with none of the mustache twirling of his localized self, doesn't help a lot of the dialogue in the PSP remake simply does not exist at all in the original script, if you play the games side by side you'll notice O'Smith added a shitload of text that just isn't there.
>>
>€50
lol
>>
>>2730840
Question - is the Jp psp text just a straight rip of the original SNES game?
>>
>>2730855
NTA, but I wonder if there will be changes to dialogue, but I expect not.

Either way I am preordering Digital Deluxe on Steam, because I want the series to continue and see other games - either new ones or the past ones remade.
>>
>>2730855
To be honest I never got the goody two shoes vibe from Leonar even when I've only played the english version. His sacrifice at the end of the Law route did come off as noble as he set himself off a fall guy but he did still butchered all those people and doesn't change.
>>
File: psp.jpg (139 KB, 1046x593)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>2730860
In this instance, yes.
>>
>>2730860
Outside of the new content of the PSP remake, such as Ravness, Azelstan, Cressida etc., the script is the same.
Some content from the OG version has been changed however, Roderick's stuff in the Hell's Gate for instance doesn't exist anymore, they completely remade that so the old lines from Roderick are gone and replaced, the various fights with the Obdilord's family have also been slightly altered at times to accomodate Cressida's presence.
>>2730862
If you're on PC you'll be able to get the JP version quite easily, if there's no native dual language option already, I don't think there will be any change since the trailer showed the same script used in the PSP version and midwits love O'Smith's drivel, I'll be sticking to JP.
>>
>>2730867
*he did still butcher all those people and that didn't change
>>
>>2725488
as someone who knows nothign about this game, what am i supposed to infer from this game title?

>tactics ogre reborn
>tactics
>ogre
>reborn
how do two let alone all three of these words belong together? is it a game about a tactical ogre? a tactical reincarnated ogre? a tactical ogre game that was recently remastered and called "reborn"? i dont see an ogre on the art there, so where is the ogre? is the ogre the big bad guy at the end of the game? where does the ogre fit in with all of this?
>>
>>2730870
>If you're on PC you'll be able to get the JP version quite easily, if there's no native dual language option already, I don't think there will be any change since the trailer showed the same script used in the PSP version and midwits love O'Smith's drivel, I'll be sticking to JP.
The bigger problem is if they change anything in Japanese too like they did for Chrono Cross and Live A Live.
>>
>>2730870
Yea I did notice that they made Deivold not sound like a zombie man anymore.
>>
>>2730870
Well I can't read japanese, I can understand some of what I hear, but not all.
Doesn't change anything for me.
>>
>>2730872
Ogres actually refer back to demons of this worlds lore. Theres actually a line that Ravness says in the remake law route that is a nice reference to it.
>>
>>2730873
I doubt they will, this is based on the PSP version in the first place and there's no reason for them to change anything now, I honestly don't even know what they might change in the first place, but Square has been acting real weird about this stuff so you never know.
I was quite surprised about what happened to CC too, SaGa Frontier also got some dumb changes in the new localization but the JP script was left as is, not sure what they're thinking.
>>
>>2730872
The entire series is called the Ogre Battle Saga. It depicts the battles fought against the demons of the world. Tactics Ogre is actually kind of a Srpg spin of the Ogre Battle RTS games.
>>
>>2730884
Ogre Battle seems like such weird gameplay concept.
There is nothing really like it either as far as I know.

How are those games storywise?
>>
What if war makes humans into ogres?
>>
>>2730882
Squares localization efforts are spearheaded by a gaggle of retards who shouldn't be working on games in general.
And I hope that somebody with any kind of clout finally raises a big enough stink to displace the idiots.
>>
File: 1657139755689.png (236 KB, 535x462)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>2730927
>Rictor, I'm already an ogre...
>>
>>2730643
90%
>>
>Find a TKoL Rebalance patch
>Fist Fight is still horrendously overpowered for the entire first arc
Lmao
>>
>>2730867
>>2730855
I mean in Law, he specifically says he would have preferred to kill you and blame everything on you, he just has the decency to suggest that you do that to him instead since he does ultimately care about Valeria.

He's only really a "goody two shoes" on Neutral, and that's only because you are never in a position to make him turn on you before he dies.
>>
>>2730964
If they ever do make another game, what are the chances that Lancelot is the protagonist again? Or will he be permanently a villain?

The fact that they put the whole "part 8 of the Ogre Battle saga" thing in the new trailer makes me hope that they are looking to see if a new one might be profitable at all.
>>
>>2731069
Well LUCT was the last one chronologically, I think it keeps getting rereleases because they keep trying to test the waters to see if people want a sequel.
>>
>>2731075
I mean, isn't there anywhereto go from there though?
>>
>>2730978
Even in regular TKoL fist fight was the equivalent of swinging around a claymore. It was pretty effective in the early to mid game.
>>
>>2731083
The balance among the classes is better than Vanilla, for example Aerial isn't hot garbage anymore but the best early game strategy is still having a team of Ninjas/Hawkmen with Fist Fight and the two elemental katanas due to all of the water spam.
>>
>>2731079
The Lodis problem was still relatively untouched, Lanselot, Balxephon and that other guy just went home after a chunk of his knights betrayed him and went chasing after legends without first stabilizing the geopolitical situation of the region to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible.
>>
>>2731079
Rashidi is apparently still apparently pulling some shit from beyond the grave and the Holy lodis empire is still untouched.
>>
>>2731119
Didn't Rashidi successfully reincarnate?
>>
>>2731120
oh thats right the demon baby
>>
>>2730872
"Ogre Battle" is a song by Queen. I guess the developers liked Queen. The subtitle of the first Ogre Battle game is also another Queen song.
>>
>>2731143
The final chapter of FFT (in the original translation) was a Queen reference too.
>>
>>2730643
>upcoming FFT "Remaster" is going to be a semi remake like this?
wait what?
>>
>>2731187
nvidia leak last year
>>
File: 1640951230974.jpg (138 KB, 1121x676)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>Tactics Ogre
>No Ogre units
>>
>>2731496
IIRC Ogres show up in 64 and Knight of Lodis.
>>
>>2731069
Every Ogre game had different main characters, I doubt Alphonse/Lans will get another game for himself, especially since a new Ogre game is extremely unlikely to begin with.
>>
Are they going to change the level job system? I hate the job level system in the psp remake.
>>
>>2732150
Did you do any form of research on the remake anon?
>>
>>2732154
No
>>
>>2730921
March is pretty sparse, POLC is closer in storytelling to tactics, though not as well thought out it's still overall a good class warfare story.
>>
>>2732150
It's character progression now. But it's just a different flavor of the same cancer unless they walk forward changes to rubberbanding.
You'll be grinding grind maps no matter what to field new units if you didn't carry every single class/monster combination in the game with you to max level. Which unless you're insane, nobody does that.
>>
>>2732235
They can also have new characters' level and skill points scale along with your units too.
I cant play this game if I need to grind endlessly for new units which is a shame because I really like the writing and world building.
>>
>>2731069
From what I understand he's suppose to be the main antagonist of the last game.
But I doubt last game will ever exist.
>>
>>2725611
wtf is this nta shit, when did it start?
>>
>>2733254
If they ever get around to making a true Ogre Saga finale would it be a Tactics game or a Battle game
>>
>>2733492
It'd be an action game to appeal to a wider audience that sells 2000 copies worldwide.
>>
>>2732150
>I hate the job level system in the psp remake.
I wonder what they were thinking when they changed it from the individual leveling. "So I herd u like grindan, grind moar now!"?
The in-game reasoning is that it makes newly hired units able to fend for themselves which is an absolute lie because they have no skills when you hire them.
It would be tolerable if they at least prevented the downleveling for everyone (not just for the guests only - the guests keep their level if it's higher than the party's when they join), but then there's outright malicious axing of recruit's skills and high-level spells. If they were this hostile towards the players on purpose (which they were), I can't explain PSP's class system with anything except "haha fuck you, dear customer" from the devs.
>>
>>2735221
The logic was meant to assuage grindging but doubled over into trippling it
Get Lord? Go grind
Princess? Go Grind
Upgrading one of the sisters? Go Grind
Wicce? Go Grind

If you recruited more archers then yeah all you have to do is pay for a few maps in blood in skill tax until they're no longer useless but updating or changing units you already had set your ass back to zero.
Going back to character levelling isn't getting rid of all of that grind, but it'll lower the frequency at least if you're the type to only play with a set few characters.
>>
>>2735221
>>2735307
They were just dumb, as much as I hate it the idea of class locked levels isn't even that bad considering the OG game was also grindy as fuck, but they were somehow too dumb to understand that nobody in their right mind will bother leveling unique characters from level 1 when everybody else is in their 30's.
It could have been solved by adding a very simple scaling formula too, as in Class level average÷number of classes unlocked=new class level, but no, you gotta level them up from level 1 no matter what.
>>
>>2735399
Even that's not necessary if they had proper rubberbanding for lower levels. Which unless we get some dramatic new news, still doesn't exist.

So you'll STILL be soaking in blood if you ever want to field monsters/golems.
>>
>>2735221
it also makes characters who you levelled from the get go starter than any character you get later on, because leveling as a certain class gives you a permanent stat bonus
retarded all the way
>>
should i play the one vision mod? already played the psp version but dunno if i should be invested again so close to the release of reborn, i dont want to burn myself but i need some TO gameplay right fucking now
>>
>>2736553
If you want to play right NOW then yeah go for it. Otherwise just wait for the Reborn(s reviews)
>>
In the original, you can just recruit a random high level character if you needed to get a spot character of that class. Sure a pure Terror Knight wouldn't be as good as one that invested some levels in Ninja to offset their Dex or what but it could work.

In the shared system, it forced players towards sticking to the same core group of classes, especially with the whole +0.1 gained if you were in that class when it levelled up. The equipment level system didn't help either because in the old system you could just equip random high tier weapons/spells and kick ass even if you were weaker than the enemy providing that the level gap wasn't absolutely massive.
>>
Gear may have been heavily revamped in this version. There are screen shots of very high level characters using what would be the equivalent of starter equipment.
>>
>>2731069
>>2731107
I think it's clear what they were going for if they were going to make 8. Using Lodis as a backdrop, maybe some countries finally decide to get back at it for all the shit they've stirred up for years, you'd have Tartaros's rise to the leadership of Lodis for whatever his goal is. And then with 9 you defeat the Lodissian Empire with him at it's head for good. The thing is we don't really know what his motives are. He's most just a cynical realpolitik guy as evidenced by not being seduced by Brynhildr and his desire to subdue and make Valeria a protectorate of Lodis, something completely justifiable by it's conflicts and ethnic strife. Republican Rome made client states just so they wouldn't be a nuisance and cause problems for Rome's economic interests.

The only other thing is I wonder how they'd work in the stuff from the earlier games into this narrative, like the March of the Black Queen story. It's a shame we might never get another game.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.