[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: file.png (1.88 MB, 1317x2000)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
ITT: RPG villains who underwhelmed you. For whatever reason, they didn't live up to the hype.
>>
>>2720137
Don't know who that is but I'd fuck her. The Reapers from Mass Effect underwhelmed me.
>>
>>2720142
Based GILF hunter.

Her name is Windego from DIvinity: Original Sin 2. She's introduced destroying the tutorial prison ship you're on with a gigantic sea monster she lures there with her magic in an attempt to kill you. She also appears in the intro where she's shown attacking a city before being taken into custody by an entire squadron of elite magister guards. Which was all part of her plan to hunt you down since all magical criminals get sent to the same place. She later casually breaks the Source Collar which you need to go through whole sidequests to accomplish.

A couple of hours later, you find her near powerless on a beach where her ranting reveals all her power comes from a higher entity who took it away as punishment for her failure to kill you on the boat. A failure that wasn't really her fault since it involved literal divine intervention but whatever. When she sees you, she beseeches her lord one last time for the power to kill you and he gives you that chance. She proves to be an incredibly easy boss fight. Much easier than the two immediately proceeding her for certain. She is unceremoniously killed.

She later returns as a random mini boss when her lord resurrects her yet again to act as a delaying tactic. But at this point she's so butthurt, she only fights you if you attack her first and actually helps you against her master.

Very bizarre. It's not bad necessarily but I was disappointed by it.
>>
>>2720180
Ohhh so that's what she looks like. Cool, shame I couldn't fuck her then.
>>
File: Braccus Rex.jpg (280 KB, 1115x2000)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>2720137
>>2720180
I feel like a lot of the villains in Original Sin 2 didn't really live up to the hype, even though all of them had massive potential.

Braccus Rex is my favorite of the bunch, and the lore behind him being the "Source King", this mad and cruel tyrant who lost his mind due to being fed so many souls by one of his concubines was interesting. You see architecture that belonged to his once vast empire, the people he's hurt like the three mages you find in one of his towers, or the concubine who fed him all those souls, but ended up regretting it, only to try and escape and subsequently be captured and punished by Braccus. The guy was such an evil bastard that even thousands of years later the scars he left on Rivellon haven't fully healed. And then it's revealed that he was serving Dallis all along as Vredeman. But he gets so little screen time and despite supposedly being this master manipulator, he never really feels like one. He only frees himself from Dallis once you come along and beat her senseless or distract her long enough for him to literally just pick pocket her and steal her wand that binds him to her. Then it's revealed that he apparently struck some sort of bargain with the God King in secret, only for you to unceremoniously kill him in the end. It's a shame, because he was such cool villain, at least when it came to his lore. On top of that, his voice acting was phenomenal and hammy. You could tell the voice actor had a lot of fun recording his lines. And unlike Lucian with his insufferable "for the greater good" speeches, or Dallis who was constantly whining about her daddy issues, Braccus was just an unapologetically evil dipshit. I guess this is what happens when your story has one too many villains, with half of them being pawns of a greater villain. Alexander being a pawn to Dallis, Dallis and Lucian being pawns to Braccus, and Braccus being under the orders of the God King. Feels like some Naruto-tier storytelling.
>>
>>2720209
Well at least they managed to get the Voidwoken right. For the most part anyway.
>>
>>2720209
>didn't really live up to the hype
Mostly because he was low-level, meaning a couple of armed guards from the mainland would have killed him.
>>
>>2720209
>And unlike Lucian with his insufferable "for the greater good" speeches,
I still have no idea what the fuck were Larian thinking with villainizing Lucian
>>
Yu Yevon but it's obvious why
>>
>>2720137
the sheriff and ming xiao in vtmb
not really their fault per se, the disciplines are broken. i remember that i didnt know how use disciplines during my very first playthrough and i found them to be hard as fuck
>>
>>2720549
hum now that i think about it the neonate kills a fucking behemot of a supernatural when he caps ming xiao, since shes someone that even jack acknowledges as tough
>>
>>2720137
>>2720209
>I feel like a lot of the villains in Original Sin 2 didn't really live up to the hype, even though all of them had massive potential.
I didn't think about it that much but you're dead on with that. I feel like they wanted to be anti-cliche without having enough ideas/writing chops to really follow through or something.

It is very odd what they chose to do with a lot of those characters and there were a *lot* of things that caught my interest but ended up being unsatisfying in similar fashion. Good, even great ideas from a writing standpoint but then Sven's ADD kicked in I guess and they fucked right off to something else.

It shows up in the big port town a lot with the elf investigator that was drummed out of the magisters, the blowhard military leader that gives that quest, orc female, the woman champion of the gladiator pit, spider bitch that gives you the stat trade underground etc. All that work and build up into the rose necromancer woman for one boss fight in the cave. She could have easily been a continuation of Wendigo and used less resources and strengthened the plot for example. Just many weird loose ends.
>>
>>2720142
Broware has this problem alot. The archdemon in dragon age was a major wet fart. I was more interested in Logan(loghain?) As the villain and his toady Howe.
>>
>>2720662
i fucked up howe in like 2 minutes
talk about disappointment, i was expecting a harder fight
>>
>>2720662
Bioware were never really good when it comes to writing big evils. They are much better when writing grounded villains like Loghain or Saren.
>>
>>2720137
Witches have the ability to be horrible disgusting evil creatures but women refuse to write them that way because most leftist women view witches as some good, in tune with nature sisterhood, and men don't care enough about witches to write them correctly. At least in video games.

t. man who is married to a "witch"
>>
FF6 fags won't shut up about him, but Kefka was extremely disappointing to me desu.
>>
File: amelysan.jpg (33 KB, 604x393)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2720137
Kinda tricky since there was no hype but still.
>>
>>2721115
To be fair, that might have been because you had the game spoiled. I imagine he's much more memorable if you go in knowing nothing about him or what happens. I agree that he's massively overrated though. Only at the very very end of the game does he gain anything approaching depth.
>>
>>2721116
Quick rundown?
>>
File: 1657904544873.png (505 KB, 850x1203)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>>2720811
I want witches to be good because witches are my fucking fetish and I want witch companions with big milkers and bigger hats.

Anyway, you're stupid af because the witch in the post you're quoting IS the horrible disgusting evil creature you're complaining doesn't exist anymore, with zero redeeming qualities and not even an attempt at making her look morally grey. And Larian's newest game also has another horrible, disgusting evil witch (hag) in it, no matter how in touch with nature she is and how she calls her fellow hags sisters. And even going into other recent rpgs, Areelu from Wrath of the Righteous is also a witch and she's possibly the single most evil person in the whole game short of the actual demonlords.

So please, PLEASE, stop letting politics rot your brain and come back down to reality.
>>
>>2721533
it's amelysan from throne of bhaal, a bg 2 expansion, which most likely was meant to be a full game, also you can sniff out herbullshit like a mile ago
>>
>>2721624
It's spoiled in the prophesy right at the start of ToB.
>>
File: fh254345.png (875 KB, 1127x568)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
>>2721115
yeah he really needed the context of the time, he was the core of most discussions in the 90s and 2000s when it came to JRPG villain talk simply because most north american fans didn't know any better. so much of his praise boiled down to "dude he's nihilistic and actually succeeds in destroying half the world!!!" even though that describes over half the franchise's main villains including ones preceding him. the only thing he brings to the table today is that he did it all while looking like a wacky clown

>>2720811
>t. man who is married to a "witch"
i hope you got a qt goth witch wife and not an underaged tiktok hexer of celestial objects and random political extremist groups
>>
>>2720799
Yeah. I was pumped playing my first play through as a human noble. Ready to fuck up the dick head that killed my family and it was a total wet fart.
>>
>>2721658
He doesn't even really succeed since his actual goal was to wipe out the human spirit in its entirety and not even his World of Ruin accomplishes that, much to his visible frustration before the final battle.
>>
>>2722445
>tfw you realize the only villain who actually accomplished his goal was the shitter from 13-2 and even then it's revealed in 13-3 that it didn't even matter.
>>
>>2721115
I don't know what you were expecting out of Kefka. I feel like a lot of his fans are pretty clear on why they actually like him and it's for very simple reasons. There's no dishonesty here. Dude was just memorable, effective and left an impression. If you went in expecting anything more than that I really don't know what to say other than you're probably an idiot.
>>
>>2720422
Yu Yevon was a wet fart, but even the regular villains weren't that great. Seymour might have had some development post-mortem, but after you peel away all the bullshit about Tidus being jealous of him wanting to slam Yuna his character boiled down to "I like death a lot", and after you killed him he haunted the party for way too long after with all those different forms. Mika might've had a bit more gravitas, but didn't really exist as a character, and went unused as a boss.

Meanwhile, Yunalesca had three cool designs, was the best kind of boss (the one that believes they're good and just), was a solid memorable boss fight, has a greater connection with the party than even the fop trying to marry Yuna, and didn't overstay her welcome afterward. She was better than Seymour for me.
>>
>>2724117
I expected something that can be taken seriously at least a little bit, not a complete farce of a character that ruins every scene he's in with his cartoonish over-the-top cruelty. His only reason for doing anything is "AY LMAOOO look at me I'm so EVIL xDDDD". It gets old really fast. I'm sorry I didn't know Kefkafags are easily entertained manchildren whose opinions should be discarded. Thanks for clearing that up, DUDE.
>>
>>2726974
Seething
>>
>>2726974
People in the 90s weren't completely poisoned by irony yet so maybe that's why they could appreciate a straightforward bad guy
>>
>>2721614
Holy based
>>
>>2721614
The only reason for a witch to have big tits is to bewitch hapless coomers like you into becoming complete and utter slaves but you'd know all about that already as a powerless perverted deviant anyway.
>>
>>2728435
They're fictional you dumbass.
>>
>>2728438
Look at the retard I replied to. He's not fictional and neither is this mental illness.
>>
>>2728452
I AM the retard you replied to.
>I like big tits.
>OMG MENTAL ILLNESS
Incredible how scared shitless your are of heterosexuality.
>>
File: flemmeth.png (1.05 MB, 1280x720)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>2720180
>>2720142
>>2720137
rpgs need more of this
>>
>>2728459
I'm not surprised. You're weak, powerless and a slave to desire, fictional or otherwise, that is the entire point of your mental illness. Develop self awareness and a brain or go back to your filth. Either way out interaction is over.
>>
>>2728496
Says the guy on an autism crusade on the internet to warn people about fictional characters' intentions and attacking anyone who so much as says "I like big tits". I'd advise you to go see a psychologist but you're probably convinced they're out to get you anyway.
>>
>>2728496
We all know you're going to check the archive after this though to see what his response was.
>>
>>2720270
I recently played Divinity 2 (Dragon Saga) for the first time and I thought his biggest flaw was not killing his son who's the reincarnation of a super demon. He seemed pretty cool. Was that retconned?
>>
>>2730312
Spoiler for Divinity Original Sin 2
Prior to Ego Draconis, Lucian had committed genocide against the Elves, destabilized Rivellon, and invited literal eldritch abomination from the void in order to overthrow the Gods of his world because they were dicks and feeding on the souls of mortals in order to sustain themselves. Worst part is that he ends up getting away with all of it and remains a hero and messiah to the public.
>>
Pretty much all the villains in Elder Scrolls after Morrowind.
>>
>>2730374
Dagoth Ur was disappointing because it was obvious that joining him was hinted but never implemented.
>>
>>2730374
Who even were the villains of Arena and Daggerfall?
>>
>>2731412
Jagar Tharn in Arena while Daggerfall has no central villain that needs to be taken out for one of the endings
>>
File: Fable 2 Lucien.jpg (123 KB, 960x540)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>2720137
>generic motive
>absent from the whole game except for the very beginning and the very end
>don't even beat him in a boss fight, you just press a button during his monologue to shoot him dead
>even if you let him talk a faggot NPC shots him anyway before he finishes
>>
>>2731713
What a downgrade from Jack of Blades yeah.
>>
>>2726974
>I didn't know Kefkafags are easily entertained manchildren whose opinions should be discarded
Now you know.
>>
File: file.png (269 KB, 646x595)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>2729629
N-no. Why would you say that.
>>
>>2726974
Better than your garbage "muh so deep gigachad villains"
If a villain needs an excuse to be evil they're shit by default
>>
>>2725260
I wonder if they were aware of how lame Seymour was since even the party get fed up with him by the end and treat him more as a nuisance than a serious threat.
>>
>>2730595
Why would you want to join him though?
>>
>>2735565
He's not a backstabber and did nothing wrong
>>
Kefka. Fucking trash. Sprite doesn't match the art (everyone in that game is like that though) and he has no character. He just kills a lot of people. Which I was always told he's the best because he succeeds and blows up the planet killing everyone, but really he just kinda destroyed the wilderness and not much else. He has that laugh, but no memorable lines or anything else. Easily worst FF villain and the most overrated RPG villain ever.
>>
File: 1650087934761.gif (2.6 MB, 260x291)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB GIF
>>2720137
>EMET-SELCH
I bought XIV because everyone was saying how good the story of shadowbringer is.
At the end I got a boring VN with a whiny faggot as a villain. On the other hand I had a lot of fun with the simple but somehow interesting story of ARR and HW.
>>
>>2720142
Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 was pretty good.
His interaction on, I think it was Virmire was sufficiently creepy.

They just explained too much of the Reapers. If they had remained a mostly unexplained race of death machines from dark space, that wanted to purge the galaxy for reasons we could only speculate at, and Sovereign hadn't died at the end of Mass Effect 1, but survived and fled, the game would have progressed a lot better.

Reapers turning humans into Fanta to make a man-reaper ruined their credibility.
>>
>>2732157
Especially since there's really no reason it couldn't be Jack again.
He's got some cool as fuck deepestlore, and him being the connective tissue between ages of vastly different heroes would have built over the games. Game 1, he's just the evil fucker that took your family, but as the series progresses, you get that bigger context. This isn't just an evil fucko, stopping him has lead to humanity developing this far, and he's a continuous threat to blasting the world back down to swords and sandals.
Or, fuck, give him an inch because you hate the progress of humanity and want to bop people with your Obsidian Greataxe again.
>>
>>2735949
That jump from Sovereign's speech in ME1 to 3 where like 12 of them land on Earth and you learn they just shoot laser beams until they kill everyone(?) is so bad.
>>
>>2735972
what do you think would have been better?
>>
>>2728488
Flemeth and Morrigan were really fun characters and well written. RIP Dragon Age.
>>
>>2736067
As a teen I thought Morrigan was hot, smart, witty and cool. Then you grow up and realize she's just an enbittered, traumatized bpd nightmare and there are no objectively good waifus in the game.
>>
>>2736062
Cosmic horror only works if the bad guys win. Might make the ending a bit of a downer from the heros perspective.

Only distracting or misdirecting the Reapers to look elsewhere would have been something that works as a win win to finish the storyline. But guiding the Reapers to cull another galaxy might have been a bit too dark for the story.
>>
>>2736073
>Cosmic horror only works if the bad guys win.
It shouldn't be completely hopeless. It would defeat the entire purpose of all of the games to begin with, which is what similarly happened with the ending, in a different manner. What you've mentioned with misdirection is exactly how a lot of hard sci-fi handles it but there's always a glimmer of hope at the end. There's enough bleakness in the galaxy already.
>>
>>2735958
I forgot that the big bad of Fable 3 was some Eldritch horror blob monster so that unironically could have worked with the existing story.
>>
Jon Irenicus. I expected epic mage duel, I got weak mage form followed by melee with Slayer.
>>
>>2720209
Agreed with the whole "having too many villains being pawns of another greater villaing makes for cheap writing".

Btw never ever get into WoW.
>>
>>2735940
Did you play the accurate translation or the snes era woolsy one? Because from what I understand most love the woolsy one.
From my guess most of his love is probably context sensitive, after you've had an era of jokey/surprise/succeeding villains going back to the first won't be as good, especially if you weren't there to have it be your first.
>>
>>2730354
In lucian's defense
the gods ARE mega cunts that need to die, it's just that so is lucian

shame there was no way to unfuck what they did to the eternals
>>
>>2736357
Zoomers are incapable of understanding this for some reason it seems.
>>
>>2730354
Wasn't lucian tricked by someone else to use deathfog against the elves?
Also, if he killed the gods and he died there would be no gods left and the void would take over the world right?
>>
>>2736891
Zoomers expect something to be good when you tell them it's good, not "it was good if you were a tasteless 12 year old with zero perspective"
>>
>>2737106
Most zoomers are tasteless 12 year olds with zero perspective within a few standard deviations. No one is trying to do you wrong zoom zoom.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.