[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: caligula effect 2.png (3.33 MB, 2000x1414)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB PNG
It's out on PC
Bluffman best musician
>>
I'm on chapter 7 and #QP is my favorite musician so far, wish she was a party member, it would've even made sense story wise.
>>
File: 20220718062357_1.jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
Ryuto says some smart things sometimes.
>>
File: media_E5i-E9_VcAM8qUR.jpg (67 KB, 578x1024)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>
>>2699563
It's a shame her dungeon is stupidly long so her theme gets annoying but her remix is really good at least.
>>
>>2699668
>finally reach the <!> door
>hell yeah boss fight, here we go
>nah fuck you, one more floor
>alright, here's the obvious boss save point + another <!> door
>the door is locked, go to 2 places to unlock it
I was like, are you fucking serious, how big is this "annex".

Her theme is just mid though, they put all the best ones at the start of the game, the first three (Machina, Pandora, MU-kun) are clearly the best in the game and the most catchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkXUeIqNw4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVf-I1nr31I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkQzXtOAdg
>>
File: 1635638468475.png (331 KB, 398x623)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
>>2699567
Ryuto is a little shit but I can't fault the kid too much
I bet he'll be a cool adult
>>
File: 20220718061015_1.jpg (385 KB, 1920x1080)
385 KB
385 KB JPG
Shill me the first game. Heard it has tons of missables, worse combat (3 actions per turn or smth), copypasted dungeons and 500 sidequests with randomly generated dialog. Is it still worth playing? Tell me something good about it.
>>
>>2699693
The second game is generally better, but the music's still good, the combat is just different enough to be fun, and being able to hang out with the musicians is great since they're an interesting bunch. Eiji is also a novelty as a party member.
I would suggest just skipping the side quests though.
>>
>>2699698
Is there a musician route in Overdose? I've heard something about a musician route. What does it entail? Just bond episodes?
>>
>>2699693
The music is good, the characters are good, Musician route.
Only missables are the social links. Advancing the story too far locks you out of some of them without warning. Applies to both GHC and Musicians. A few of them require seeing other characters' events first.
If you play, just ignore the sidequests, they're absolutely not worth anything.

I rather liked Mobius more than Redo, and thought more of the cast members were more relateable, but 2 was a lot better as a whole game.
>>
File: caligula stork.png (299 KB, 860x938)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
>>2699693
>Heard it has tons of missables
You can get locked out of completing certain party member's character episodes past certain points so you should always do them ASAP, don't really know what else is missable though
>worse combat
It's harder than 2 on higher difficulties but you do 3 actions per turn which makes every fight take longer, it's not bad but can can drag on since there's no way to speedup battles. If you can tolerate 2's combat you can probably tolerate 1's
>copypasted dungeons
They're pretty similar to 2's, just mostly long hallways
>500 sidequests
lmao I just ignored most of them, it's better to do that since 90% of it is just filler shit.

Even with all of its flaws I'd say its still worth playing, especially if you like 2. The characters are good, and overdose lets you go on the Musician's side and do their own character episodes which helps flesh out the musicians a lot. The music is really great, on par with 2's. The game goes on sale pretty often on steam so I think you can get it pretty cheap. And oh yeah the voice acting's really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT404IokUoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARxsQ46hJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKiM76ViT0
>>
>>2699705
There is, basically
You get to do their bond episodes and dungeon crawl with them to an extent. Can battle your friends iirc.
>>
File: Lucid.png (419 KB, 512x1024)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>2699705
It's not really a full "route" since you still get all of the main game route stuff with some small changes, and it just adds on you going incognito to work with the Musicians and learn more about them. It does let you unlock a bad ending though but you can still do the main route's ending, so there's no reason not to take the Musician route since it's just more content.
>>
>>2699693
It unironically has SOVL.
>>
>>2699710
>>2699715
Oh, they're actually playable? Can you get Wicked as a party member?

Also, is Aria basically the same NPC helper as Chi in 2? And Mu is basically Regret?
>>
>>2699728
Yes to all four
>>
>>2699728
>Can you get Wicked as a party member?
Yes.
>Also, is Aria basically the same NPC helper as Chi in 2? And Mu is basically Regret?
Indeed.
>>
>>2699709
>You can get locked out of completing certain party member's character episodes past certain points so you should always do them ASAP, don't really know what else is missable though
But do you have to grind affinity like in 2? Cause if you do, it's going to be really easy to miss those episodes unless you just make sure to always grind affinity in advance which is gonna suck.

>The game goes on sale pretty often on steam so I think you can get it pretty cheap.
I already bought it actually, it was just a few bucks in my third world region. Just trying to hype myself up to finally sit down and play it.
>>
>>2699736
>Cause if you do, it's going to be really easy to miss those episodes unless you just make sure to always grind affinity in advance which is gonna suck.
I think it's pretty forgiving on where the cutoff points are but I always grinded up affinity the moment I could anyway just to be safe, it's a grind but not bad.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (421 KB, 1920x1080)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>2699730
>>2699731
Nice, I wonder if it's the same VA.
>>
>>2699736
You do. Musicians gain affinity at double rate to compensate for less screen time.
As for how easy it is, I personally missed out on finishing two characters' events playing blind. The game forces more encounters on you than 2, but it's up to you to shuffle party members around to spread affinity out. It doesn't lock you out every single chapter or character either, but without knowing when the deadlines are that doesn't really help.
>>
>>2699668
I never heard her remix because I immediately activated X-factor and killed her in one combo
Still hasn't dropped from the lottery
>>
Why do you think Shota's chatarsis form has a blindfold?
And Niko's two hands covering her mouth? Could it be related to her dead sister?
>>
>>2700121
I forget what Shota's deal was exactly. Something about failing to save someone as a police officer? I don't remember what went on. In that way my best guess would just be feeling blinded by that event and being unable to look forward.
Niko's is obviously just her complex over her sister and how she conceals her real self
>>
>>2699693
I played through 1 and never even realized the game has sidequests. They are that pointless.
>>
>>2699550
Distorted Happiness is the best song in the series and is the sole reason why I betrayed everyone.
>>
>>2700121
Justice is blind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice#Blindfold
>>
>>2700501
Oh fuck you're right. That's really neat.
>>
>>2700190
>it completely spoils the twist of the game if you actually read the lyrics
I'm glad 2's lyrics kept things a bit more subtle
Also based of them to include a remix of it in 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jdRuYRXe18
>>
>>2700664
Man, X version sucks ass. Her mother is a better singer overall.
https://youtu.be/HOKiM76ViT0
>>
>>2700668
Chi works well in some songs but worse in others. For me it's
Regret > Mu > Chi
Regret can just sound like a completely different singer between songs, her vocal range is amazing
>>
What is a Doll-P and how is it different from a musician? They use this term in some conversations and I don't get it, maybe it's explained in the first game.
>>
>>2700852
It's the same thing, it just means composers that were using the virtuadoll software to compose music iirc
>>
>>2700852
yeah Doll-Ps are anyone composing music for the Virtuadolls, who in reality are viewed just like Vocaloids
the Musicians are the ones who were brought into Mobius/Redo and given authority
>>
>>2699693
I liked the traumas more than the regrets in the sequel. Also the music was better. Everything else is pretty bad, though the combat is harder so, unlike 2, the boss fights last more than 3 seconds on the hardest difficulty.

The two games have different writers so I'm not making this up. The first game had good depictions of PTSD and real world issues like being a single mom or having eating disorders. Second game had anime issues like "I'm too fucking smart" or my favorite one "my sister died so I pretend to be her" which has been done several times in very popular movies
>>
File: 1635707169379.png (280 KB, 415x593)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>2700930
you got absolutely destroyed last thread with your retarded argument of 2's regrets being "anime" why are you still trying to push this meme like you won't get called out and called a fucking retard again. It's fine to prefer 1's traumas but don't be a retard and cherrypick the best ones from 1 when there were silly and "anime" ones in 1 as well, while also being a disingenuous in how you present 2's regrets.

>the two games have different writers so I'm not making this up
You are. Both are directed by Yamanaka, who has an actual degree in psychology I think. Satomi Tadashi (guy who directed Persona 1 and 2) was the main writer of 1. For 2 Yamanaka is credited as a director and a screenwriter while Tadashi is credited as "Storyline Cooperation" which probably means he just helped write the characters. The only new name I can see is Fumika Ikeda, who co-directed the game along with Yamanaka and just seems like random Furyu guy. There's an interview about 2 where they said Tadashi wrote all of 2's characters while Yamanaka wrote everything else. If your argument is that 2's characters are worse because "the writer's different!" then you're retarded because they were written by Tadashi and Yamanaka in both games.

(continuing in next post because fuck you if you're going to talk shit aft least bother to do the research to back it up faggot)
>>
>>2700930
>>2701104
continuing:

(warning, has spoilers for both caligula games)
https://digi-lab.blog/gamer-interview-with-the-caligula-effect-producer-takuya-yamanaka/
>–It feels like there was a change in direction in terms of the characters’ psychopathology between the first game and 2. Was there a particular reason for this?

>Yamanaka: As times have changed, our understanding of mental disorders has also progressed, so it wouldn’t make much sense for 2 to have the same tone as the first game. If we did, I felt we’d just be going over something that everyone already knew, so for 2, I wanted to strike a balance of touching on more things only the relevant people themselves could understand, or things like the harsh things that come from being gifted, or unimaginable worries from old age that we can’t even imagine.

>I’ve heard some people say things like “I expected something more grotesque or dark,” but I deliberately decided that we wouldn’t go in that direction. If you were to push harder on treating human mental disorders and psychology as stimulating entertainment, it would, in a sense, be the opposite of what Caligula is meant to stand for, so I felt it might be better to avoid that kind of thing. There’s already a ton of works that deal with those kinds of things already, so I could easily just leave it to them. On the other hand, I felt it might be more meaningful for Caligula to find those things that are hard to make entertainment out of, to expand on and pick up on the feelings that make you think “this is the only piece of media that hit me this deeply.” I understand the need to find stimulation in entertainment, but there are already other works that can do that, so Caligula is meant to play the role that only Caligula can.

2/3
>>
File: 20220719033310_1.jpg (414 KB, 1920x1080)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
Man, late game combat is really fun. You can juggle enemies even without countering. Kiriko does Mijingiri, MC follows up with that OP aerial attack that sends the enemy flying all over the place, and then Marie finishes them with a Punk Shot explosion. While Shota keeps stronger enemies restrained. With smart play you can defeat enemies 15-20 levels above you!

How would rank the characters combat prowess wise? For me it's:
Marie > Kiriko > MC > Shota > Sasara > Gin > Kobato > Ryuto > Niko
The last 3 party members are sadly very underwhelming, almost not worth using.
>>
File: 889600_20211021020744_1.png (1.27 MB, 1280x720)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>2700930
>>2701104
>>2701113
>There aren’t many things out there that can depict stories about gender or people on the verge of death in the same way Caligula can. I think one of our unique devices is our ability to use this kind of premise and worldbuilding, so we’ve prioritized the themes that should be handled specifically because it’s Caligula. In terms of its theme, I think Caligula needs to depict ideals and reality, idols and fans, and the sentiment “humans cannot be made into pieces on a pedestal.”

>The Go-Home Club can rematch the Musicians in 2 after the game has been cleared, but specific labels for their psychopathology are not written there, and my reason for not giving them specific names is that there are people who actually have these kinds of worries in reality, so it’s a sort of response to the changing of the times in avoiding this kind of specificity. In particular, because the Musicians weren’t able to speak about themselves in the same way the Go-Home Club did, we were able to write much longer essays about them than the Go-Home Club had, so I feel there might not be a need to specifically name the issues.

And on who's the writer:
>–Were there any particular parts you were particularly concerned about when creating the characters or writing the story?

>Yamanaka: For the first game, our workflow involved asking Satomi-san, the story and original draft writer, to express everything in it, but for 2, my job expanded to include the story, so there were quite a few parts that I had to figure out on my own.

tl;dr you're retarded, the games have the same writers, the regrets were purposefully made to be more relatable which is the exact opposite of you saying that 2's regrets are more "anime" and unrelatable.
>>
File: caligula yeet.png (34 KB, 280x101)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>2701120
Some of Niko's later skills are REALLY good when used right, she deserves to be higher. I also think Ryuto's decent just for the fact most of his attacks come out decently fast and he can apply debuffs.

And yeah juggling shit is fun
>>
>>2701133
Niko's skills have too much wind up while Ryuto's require this weird setup where he attacks, evades and then does a stronger attack. I just don't get what's the point of that, why not just counter with anyone else?

Shota's restrain working even on bosses kinda breaks the game btw. But the bosses are just poorly balanced in this game, they're way weaker than the mobs in their dungeons. Even on Extreme you walk in and obliterate the boss in 20 sec, hope they patch this in the future.
>>
>>2700676
>Regret can just sound like a completely different singer between songs, her vocal range is amazing
Indeed it is. I legitimately thought different people were singing the songs at first but was surprised that it was the same person.
>>
File: 20220719050532_1.jpg (297 KB, 1920x1080)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
What anime was she quoting?
>>
>>2700930
I agree with this guy.
Fuck the other wall texting faggot.
>>
>>2701451
>someone actually does their research and calls out your shitty post
>samefag to pretend someone agrees with you
lmao
>>
>>2701459
>samefagging accusing of samefagging
oh the irony
>>
File: 1635282734648.jpg (217 KB, 770x895)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
I'm the guy last thread who said I related to Niko, even though I might be projecting a little I definitely understand her issues more than being a single mom or I'm insecure about my fat mom or I suicided with my girlfriend but she died and I didn't so now I live with survivor's guilt and her ghost haunts me everyday or I hate men just because, even though I liked Ayana. I might be forgetting something on the last point, was it mentioned why she hated men before that incident?

>>2701249
I think by Niko's skills that guy means her attack/accuracy buff, which is insanely good going up against bosses and higher leveled enemies because normally your accuracy is something garbage like 60%.
>>
File: 20220719091050_1.jpg (302 KB, 1920x1080)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Haha, so that's what this is called.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia
>>
>>2701637
wow she's literally me
>>
>>2701588
Niko is a creepy little cunt though anon… I’d rather befriend Wicked than fucking Niko of all people.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (503 KB, 1920x1080)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
Is Wicked a fan favorite or something?

I really need to play the first game.
>>
>>2701120
I'm still midgame I think, but for me it's

MC>Kiriko>Niko>Shota>Kobato>Ryuto>Sasara>Marie>Gin

MC's juggling move is unmatched, to the extent every battles go to strategy is put the enemy in the air and crit boost Sonic blade. Niko seems overwhelmingly useful with the party wide buffs, nobody else has gotten them yet, I guess if someone else gets them she'd drop off.
>>
File: Caligula Love Scope.jpg (388 KB, 1015x1015)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>2701658
She's popular but the most based Caligula 1 musician is Stork by a fucking mile, any other opinion is objectively incorrect. Yes I know he was added in Overdose but fuck you he's still the best.
>>
>>2701120
>Lists all three of my party members last
Nice
Niko's good though, what's the problem? Good buffs, good heals. Bad damage but she'll be constantly shitting out support moves anyway.
>>
>>2701659
Kobato is 100% worthless if you're playing on higher difficulties, his accuracy is already bad but on higher difficulties he pretty much misses all the time. Worst character in the game possibly.

Also, Gin can inflict a lot of status effects, some people consider him top tier for this reason. E.g. you can poison a high level enemy and then just guard/dash around while it dies.
>>
>>2701665
>but the most based Caligula 1 musician is Stork by a fucking mile
His self-cover is pretty based too thats for sure. Exactly as he would sing it.
https://youtu.be/C-qa6blKCHU
>>
>>2701665
>japanese humor pervert character
>Still somehow the best one
How does he do it
>>
>>2701673
Is the first game much hornier? Heard there's swimsuit DLC, hot spring scenes, romances etc. I also remember seeing a screenshot of a typical "Japanese humor" scene where a character walks in naked (with glitches covering her naughty bits) and others react to it.
>>
>>2701678
Not really
You had the goofy pervert duo with Stork and SweetP and there was a dungeon that ended in hot springs but that was about all I remember
>>
File: o06_kudan_01.jpg (184 KB, 1280x720)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>2701411
In the Japanese version, the quote is from TV version of Mobile Suit Gundam so this should also be from gundam because it's just the line translated.
>>
>>2701669
Kobato with a couple of accuracy and cast time buffs becomes the third best damage dealed after MC and Kiriko. His basic attack knocks enemies into the air and his overhead with a ground finisher has great synergy with MC and Kiriko too. He's definitely mid tier at least. Gin I like as a character and status attacks are fun but bleed and poison are woefully inefficient in my experience, being on the defensive in this game is a real slog, much better nuking enemies in a wombo combo.
>>
File: 20190329180455_1.jpg (386 KB, 1920x1080)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>2701588
I think Ayana only slightly hated men because of typical pervert stuff, but she was still convinced by her friend to become an idol with her to get over it, then one of the members of the idol group got assaulted by a fan and eventually killed herself because she went blind from that and she became like this
>>
File: 20190321172238_1.jpg (421 KB, 1920x1080)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>2699668
>>2699676
I actually liked the annex visually since it's like an actual building compared to many other RPG dungeons, like the two Kishimai dungeons
although I have to wonder if they have different plans for it originally, because of some of the events like the haunted house, and they modelled even a car park but nothing important happens there
and some of the mandatory fights and roadblocks don't go away even after you clear the whole thing which is annoying when you go back there for sidequests
>>
File: Spoiler Image (225 KB, 550x550)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>2701652
Yeah, which is why I'm befriending Iori instead

>>2701884
Ah ok, was wondering because I remembered that near the end of her social links she mentioned wanting to eat with her dad or hug him or something, so I thought she was just born like that.
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (48 KB, 500x665)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>Whose song would you like to play today?
>My song
Yep, its gaming time.
>>
>>2702006
based
>>
File: 1649784513198.png (120 KB, 230x423)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>2701976
>Yeah, which is why I'm befriending spoiler
Cheeky
>>
File: 20220720044627_1.jpg (299 KB, 1920x1080)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Beat the game.

Final dungeon was pretty fun on Extreme. Regular mobs were challenging, the final boss was very challenging (didn't expect that 2nd phase at all). However, musicians all died within 20 sec, which is a shame.

The reveal of Bluffman and Regret's identities was a cool twist, but not super believable. How can Bluffman be smart enough to 4D chess the whole thing, yet dumb enough to rave like a lunatic? Regret however is a stinky dumb NEET with an army of online simps, felt like some social commentary on vtubers. Also, are Kudan, Bluffman and MU-kun the only casualties in the whole game? There was also some mention of Thorn, I'm assuming it's another musician from the first game.

Overall, it's a pretty cool game, just wish it was a teeny bit more polished and better thought out, it felt a bit rushed, especially towards the end, it ends pretty abruptly, with no real epilogue (bar the post credits WIRE exchange). Also, god damn it, so many power of friendship/today I learned something speeches towards the end, really made the whole thing feel very juvenile and anime as fuck. But maybe it's on me for expecting something a little bit more high brow, or at least Nier tier.
>>
>>2702833
Did you do the musician re-matches to learn their backstories? Reload save before final boss and there should be portal to place where you can re-fight them
>>
File: Spoiler Image (217 KB, 1920x1080)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>2702847
No, I literally just beat the game an hour ago. Looking through the GameFAQs guide right now and it says there are these musician rematches with (text only) backstories + some rogue-lite mode where you climb a 100F tower. Not sure if I'm gonna bother with any of that to be honest.

I've completed 148/153 quests though, thought about getting 100% achievements while I'm at it, but the last one requires replaying the game on NG+ to get the bad ending song, which sucks. I guess I'll leave the game installed for now and think about it.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (327 KB, 1280x720)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
you can read their stories on the wiki too if you're that opposed to doing the rematches
worth a peek one way or another
>>
>>2702856
I'd recommend doing the backstories since they're all pretty interesting, or just read them on the wiki.
>>
Can you get the Musicians on Causality Link like in CE1?
>>
>>2703117
No.
>>
The more you're told not to do something, the more you want to do it
>>
>>2703400
Are you just starting out? The game is quite poorly balanced and the first boss is by far the hardest, very difficult even on normal. Yet the rest of the game is a joke, even on extreme. Eventually you get so OP you burst down bosses in 10 sec.

However, you can change difficulty at any time and it affects nothing aside from HP/damage values, no achievements, no bonus XP. So feel free to switch it whenever it gets too easy/too hard.
>>
>>2703415
Yeah I've played both games before, though I couldn't beat this one yet because both Ryujinx and yuzu sucked on my comp so I only got to beat Machina six months ago. Used to beating bosses on Extreme with a 30+ lvl difference on the first one when the game allows you to rematch them, and I still enjoy doing so enough to have the game perpetually on my 3x3.

It was a joke on the Caligula Effect
>>
Are there bonuses for each bond level, or do just get a skill with the last one, like in the first game? Would like to watch all the episodes of a character at once, if possible
>>
Doktor have song is the best for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU41sYvrzEU&t
just listen the regret version slowed to 0.75x speed in youtube settings
>>
>>2703644
They're entirely optional and don't influence the story or the ending in any way. You just get their best skill at the end (Chapters 7/8).

>>2703669
Kranke's boss remix is so much better IMO. Probably the best musician fight overall as the chair is a very cool add, and Kranke's combo string is very aggressive and guard breaks you so you have to play smart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4hkHgsbOE
>>
File: FYGb-02agAAmDcv.jpg (1.39 MB, 1754x1241)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
These are pretty cute
https://twitter.com/eeo_store/status/1549691319224012800?s=19
>>
Anyone tried playing the games with both MCs?
How different are the party conversations with Kobato/Ayane around? Considering their whole character arcs and behavior revolve around the opposite gender, I'd guess they have the most varied dialogue.
>>
>>2699550
Can I jump straight into this game or do I need to play the first one?
>>
>>2704638
You don't need to, though one or two characters are better if you did play it
>>
>>2704294
Wheel Chair needs its own separate sticker. I wasn’t expecting it to have such great range and power.
>>
>>2702856
>intended to 100% a game
>didn't put a save before important choices (or choice since it's literally the only choice you make in the game)
bro
>>
Is this just a waifu dating simulator aka persona? Is the combat fun?
>>
File: 1493417850805.gif (1.23 MB, 450x450)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB GIF
Man after reading through the first game's story I feel like the second game is just so...tame..
Like in the first game there is all sort of fucked up shit, actual unhinged people with mental issues and crimes and actual murder happening, people actually dying in the game if you screw up, and shit is FUBAR in the bad ending. Meanwhile in 2 you just get people with slight personality issues, or just facing some tough shit, or nothing at all, just 0 regrets waiting for death (best girl imo). And the bad end is not that bad at all
>>
>>2704748
There's no dating sim, it's unabashedly a persona clone though. Combat is fun everything else is kind of jank though.
>>
File: 20220716021340_1.jpg (503 KB, 1920x1080)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
>>2704635
I wondered the same question. Are there any scenes exclusive to either MC?

>>2704867
Honestly I don't really see how it's a Persona clone. The combat system is entirely different, there's no calendar, no dating.
>>
File: 20220718092850_1.jpg (426 KB, 1920x1080)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>2704741
You have to do the bad ending in NG+ to get the trophy, because you need all 10 songs on one save file.

>>2704635
>>2705049
This scene also looked like it could be gender dependent, I wonder how it plays out in the male route.
>>
File: 1648245080828.jpg (107 KB, 680x771)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2704867
>it's unabashedly a persona clone though
>>
>>2705049
>>2705058
I noticed Kobato's dialogue in the haunted house mini event being 90% complaints about how he didn't want to go on a date with another guy.
Most of the other members seemed to have pretty gender neutral dialogue on the other hand.
>>
>>2705049
>>2705142
Not him but it's an old-sona clone. This series got made because Yamanaka is a big fan of the old persona games and wanted to hire the director of persona 1/2 to write for a similar game.
>>
>>2705142
I was pretty disappointed that Kiriko didn't wear bloomers or a shimapan
>>
>>2705144
A lot of Kobato's dialogue is different between genders, or at least the non story important ones. Whenever feMC gets a moment with him he's super horny for her, then turns around and treats her like a dude in his character stories or scenes where he's interacting with other characters.
>>
So I'm starting the first game.

Any general tips? I'm worried about missing out on bond episodes and thus getting locked out of the best ending. Is grinding affinity in advance and savescumming the choices enough to not fail, or do I need to watch out for anything else?

Any other big tips?
>>
>>2705538
Yes do all bond episodes ASAP. You don't need to savescum for choices but it's faster than talking to Aria to get her to reset their bond level so you can try again iirc. The only other thing you need to do is accept the offer Thorn gives you to become a musician so you can unlock the overdose content.
>>
File: 20220722101714_1.jpg (451 KB, 1920x1080)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>2705553
So basically exhaust all bond episodes after each boss fight and that's it?

Also, the game doesn't look that bad, I was expecting Vita tier graphics to be honest. The main downgrade from 2 is the lack of any facial animations, even the mouths don't move. But otherwise it looks pretty similar to 2.
>>
>>2705584
OD weirdly enough looks worse than the Vita version in some aspects but vita version has one of the most disgustingly bad framerates you'll ever see along with having multiple save points that will corrupt your save data so don't ever play that version, also OD's added characters and content are really good.

Basically when you get new party member grind up bond level to max and always check for new character episodes from the fast-travel menu which should have a <!> symbol when there's a new bond episode you can do there.
>>
>>2704749
>And the bad end is not that bad at all
Based.
>>
File: 20220722095837_1.jpg (738 KB, 1920x1080)
738 KB
738 KB JPG
>>2705593
>always check for new character episodes from the fast-travel menu which should have a <!> symbol when there's a new bond episode you can do there
Seriously? There can be cut-off points mid-chapter? That's evil.

Also, it looks like you can grind skill points and upgrade skills in this game, should I prioritize upgrading existing skills or buying new ones? And are the passives acquired from stigmas like in 2 or do you get them somewhere else?
>>
>>2705606
I don't think there's cut-off points mid-chapter but you should be checking before finishing each dungeon just to be safe. About skills I remember getting the best ones in the first dungeon and never needing any other ones but I didn't play on hardest difficulty.
>>
File: 20220722115647_1.jpg (468 KB, 1920x1080)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
In case anyone else is going to play Overdose on PC, I figured out how to turn on anti-aliasing (TAA to be precise), it's an UE4 engine game after all, so I just copied some tweaks from another game.

- Go to %localappdata%\COD\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor, open Engine.ini
- Add the following to the bottom:
[SystemSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.25
r.TemporalAASamples=16
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.5
r.MaxAnisotropy=16

There should be no performance impact at all. And if your PC is beefy you can also add r.ScreenPercentage=150, basically the game will render at 150% your screen resolution further improving image quality.

BTW, CE2 is also an UE4 game, but these settings don't work there, the game just crashes. The devs must've broken something in the engine.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (341 KB, 1920x1080)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
Not gonna lie, I'm glad I played 2 first, she looks exactly the same and has an identical voice (same VA, same delivery). I would've been spoiled on a major twist.
>>
>>2705852
Well now you've spoiled yourself on a major twist in 1
lmao
>>
>>2705857
In 2 the whole plot revolves around her, I doubt she's as important in 1.
>>
>>2705861
It's not plot centric exactly but it's enough that the wiki uses her censored art as the default image rather than her actual art as to not spoil people driving by, can't say I see that very often
>>
>>2705641
It reminds me of Scarlet Nexus way of improving graphics
>BTW, CE2 is also an UE4 game, but these settings don't work there, the game just crashes. The devs must've broken something in the engine.
Based
>>
>>2701665
Sweet-P was fun too. Actually the banter between Stork, Sweet-P and Lucid was the peak Caligula experience for me.
>>
>>2705852
>necktie is caution tape
DAMAGED
>>
>>2705852
Why is she raising her index finger like that? What does that hand gesture even mean? Does it relate to the same gesture that Jihadi suicide bombers do?
>>
>>2706352
maybe but it's better to do the tawhid gesture with your right hand unless you're holding a gun or something
>>
>>2706146
Man, I didn't even notice that until now.
>>
>wicked song for more criticals
>critical resist debuff on boss
>x-jack recharges on criticals
>unlimited x-jack
okay
>>
striped pantsu
>>
Man, the combat in Overdose is really dogshit. Counters can miss, and do miss like 50% of the time (no matter what the preview tells you). And since nothing is reliable, any strategy goes out of the window, and you just spam your strongest skills while dashing/guarding/healing a bit.

Also, the animations and hitboxes are way worse than 2, one of the reasons most characters and enemies use ranged attacks, because melee doesn't work at all with this much jank.
>>
>>2707205
Skill issue
>>
>>2707205
git gud
>>
>>2707205
Level suppression in Overdose is nasty. Don't fight enemies too higher level than you.
>Counters can miss, and do miss like 50% of the time (no matter what the preview tells you)
It looks like you don't know how the preview window works.
It assumes a 100% hit rate on both you and the enemies, and it doesn't include critical hits. What this means is that if an enemy hits you in the preview, during the actual combat you might evade the attack.
The number in the top left tells you your actual accuracy. It caps at 95%, so there's always the chance of missing.
>>
>>2707072
X-Jack maxed out last longer than you'll ever need to wipe out any enemy anyway
>>
>>2707250
Counters cannot miss in 2, it's the biggest difference between the games and it's what ruins the combo system in 1.

On easy/normal/hard there's no need to counter whatsoever (unless it's a shield), just literally put the party members on auto and spam A for the MC. But on Extreme, your accuracy is heavily nerfed, and countering anything is a total crapshoot, so you might as well just spam A anyway.
>>
>>2707277
>Counters cannot miss in 2
What the fucking fuck are you saying? They totally can miss like any other attack.
Stop spewing bullshit and git gud.
>>
>>2707360
I've fought enemies 30 levels above me in 2, on extreme, and my melee/ranged counters never missed though?

Also, please talk like a normal person, this is not /v/.
>>
>>2707435
I'll try one last time, hoping you're not just trolling.
Level suppression in 2 is just way more lenient. The prediction works the same way, except you can actually reach 100%.
>and my melee/ranged counters never missed though
That's likely because multi-hit skills are treated differently in each game. In Overdose, the chance of landing a multi-hit skill is counted a single time, meaning that every hit is either gonna land or miss. In 2, each hit of a skill has its own chance of landing. So when performing a 3-hit counter, even without 100% accuracy, you still have overall a good chance of landing at least one of them.
>>
>>2707435
>counters never miss
Then you got lucky, because I've gotten fucked countless times when Sasara missed a hit and died and my entire combo string fell apart.
>>
>>2707745
Use buffs retard.jpg
>>
File: Kiriko polka.png (3.18 MB, 1920x1080)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB PNG
>>2707177
I love how as as soon as I simulated an attack on the imaginary chain she covered herself back. The same thing happened in Overdose. You could get twisted necks, weird clipping and really messed up stuff and only very very rarely it would get fixed, but a pantyshot clipping would get covered as soon as you simulated a single attack every single time. Makes me think the characters are self-aware in their own reality. Hot
>>
>>2707790
Please let those be strawberry pantsu...
>>
File: 20220723162314_1.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>2707530
>In Overdose, the chance of landing a multi-hit skill is counted a single time, meaning that every hit is either gonna land or miss. In 2, each hit of a skill has its own chance of landing
Alright, this makes the most sense.

Does it matter who you choose to infiltrate the tea party? The game has a lot of choices, but do any of them matter?

>>2707790
>most girls have unique pantsu
>MC is just a black void under her skirt
BTW, apparently you can switch gender on NG+, so that's a good way to see both routes without re-grinding your shit.
>>
>>2707969
I think she's forced to because it's part of her arc.
There's the choices during character events which will immediately show you the lock if you make an incorrect one. There's the choice to join the Musicians(accept), and one more choice late game in the Landmark Tower where you're asked to come to the Musicians' Room(accept or you're locked out of that ending, refusal grants nothing)
And one real choice with consequences when you advance the social links for a certain group of characters.
>>
File: 20220724025434_1.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1080)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
What the fuck.
>>
>>2708140
I know right. Fuck fat people.
>>
File: 20220724044942_1.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>2708177
It's self-hatred though.
>>
>>2708227
I'm saying this with 0 experience playing the game, but she looks pretty skinny to me.
>>
>>2708140
She cute AND based
>>2708382
>he lacks the information
>>
>>2708382
>I'm saying this with 0 experience playing the game
That's very obvious anoon
>>
File: 1653631726730.jpg (431 KB, 1193x1006)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>2708382
Both games are set in Matrix-like virtual worlds, the main gimmick is characters don't look like their IRL selves (some are even different gender), and exploring their backstories and traumas is the meat of the story.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (189 KB, 1920x1080)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
The musician route is really cool, but it's a bit disappointing they didn't make a female model for the second MC.

BTW, heard there was romance in OD? How/when do you trigger it? Does it work as FeMC? Any yuri potential?
>>
>>2708438
there's no romance, it's just the flirting dialogue options you see occasionally, no commitment or change in dialogue outside their immediate reply
some people keep calling it romance because it's slightly more implicit than the dialogue in 2
>>
File: 20220724025141_1.jpg (487 KB, 1920x1080)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
>>2708450
Oh well, that's a shame, I was hoping for some schizo romances, talk about a missed opportunity. Anyhow, I'm off to the hot springs, apparently it's one of the best parts of the game. Maybe there will be some fanservice scenes too.

If you guys don't mind all female casts, the Blue Reflection games are very similar in tone and also deal with character drama and personal traumas (e.g. the MC is a cripple IRL).

Also, I'm betting $100 this girl is a rape victim. She screams and runs away at any sight of males.
>>
Kobato's first support skill says that it gives a defense bonus, but it goes ATK UP upon activation. What gives? Just NISA?
>>
>>2709615
IIRC it's talking about armor during the attack animation
>>
File: 20220725192218_1.jpg (487 KB, 1920x1080)
487 KB
487 KB JPG
You can tell the musician route was added later, the writing is leagues above the base game. I love how Mu is completely socially retarded because she's an AI. (But then again, how come Aria and Chi are relatively normal? Maybe it's a spoiler.)

BTW, has anyone ripped Mu's chibi sprites? I love the one where she looks appalled. And the :D one.
>>
I bought the first a few years ago, played a couple hours and never came back, I'm considering giving it another try, anything I should know?
>>
File: 20220725180836_1.jpg (453 KB, 1920x1080)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>2710531
I'd recommend playing 2 first to get hooked on the series, 1 is a really rough game.

But if you're determined, just play it. Make sure to swap party members to increase their affinity (it maxes out at 9, usually one dungeon is enough for that). Then talk to everyone with a <!> marker above their head after beating a chapter boss. These events are missable and affect endings. Also, go through a red door when asked, that choice unlocks a lot of extra content and you won't miss out on anything. Also, ignore literally all sidequests, there's 500 and they're super tedious.

Here's a guide if you need more help.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/227803-the-caligula-effect-overdose/faqs/77189/
>>
>>2710544
All right, thanks. I already have 1 so might as well start with it
>>
>>2710531
Play on extreme if you have 3 digit IQ.
>>
>>2702833
I just beat it myself, pretty similar reaction. Last dungeon and bosses were fun I don't know how I didn't see it coming that Bluffman and Regret would just be the biggest losers considering the whole point of Redo.
>>
File: 115701.png (1.97 MB, 2048x2048)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
>>2710520
>>
File: 20220725183853_1.jpg (305 KB, 1920x1080)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>2710943
Thanks.

Why is Stork wearing an old-timey jockey getup?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (221 KB, 1920x1080)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
Ah, the famous bathing scene.

Thorn best girl? Unless it's a dude?
>>
File: 20220726131543_1.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
What are the Nameless Girl events in Overdose all about? There seems to be one in each dungeon. You interact with a thing, and then the Nameless Girl appears and says something vague, and you have to respond. I just finished the aquarium and told her that she's in a hospital. Did I fuck up? Is it someone important? Maybe Marie?
>>
>>2711763
Honestly, I don't remember that at all.
>>
>>2711763
I forgot she existed before you asked, but I'm pretty sure she's a baby
>>
File: 92926071_p27.png (775 KB, 869x1228)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>>
Was Ike-P added in Overdose? A bit weird that his dungeon was recycled.

Also, anyone know where I can DL the Overdose OST in FLAC? Anyone got a magnet link?
>>
>>2713723
>Was Ike-P added in Overdose?
Nope. Sucks to be him and Wicked I guess, even the Overdose guys got their own dungeons.
>>
File: Liminar space.png (1.42 MB, 1920x1080)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
I'M GOING TO MARIE
>>
>>2705058
So I don't get anything for beating her on the first playthrough?
>>
>>2714904
I suppose you could do bad ending > NG+ > true ending, but most people would rather reload and do the true ending instead of, you know, replaying 6 chapters just for an achievement.
>>
File: 20220728133041_1.jpg (437 KB, 1920x1080)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
Unless Wicked is really that amazing (not sure why they're hiding her for 90% of the game), I'll have to say that Kuchinashi is probably the best girl in Overdose, by a long shot.
>>
>>2715392
Yeah, I fell in love with her as well. A shame you can't really use her much until you've finished the main story once.
>>
Peter Pan Syndrome is probably the best song about a literal manchild. Beautiful, bittersweet lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUcZNBpg2a8
https://caligula.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Pan_Syndrome

>>2713723
>anyone know where I can DL the Overdose OST in FLAC?
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/caligula-overdose-original-soundtrack
>>
>>2715392
They're only hiding her so much as they're hiding all the lategame Musicians. It's just that she was unexpectedly popular and didn't get her story resolved in 1.
The original intent was probably to weave her into Overdose's plot like they did the anime but ran out of budget and time.
>>
File: 20220728190242_1.jpg (305 KB, 1920x1080)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>2715605
>ran out of budget and time
Still though, 19 characters x 9 affinity = 171 character episodes, all fully voiced, that's pretty insane. Most of the budget went into this and the music, I guess.

BTW, how's the anime? Worth watching after completing the game?
>>
>>2715643
Yes. It has many similarities with the game, but ultimately the plot is different. *That* moment with mu still gives me chills, her VA is insane.
>>
>>2705852
I legit only figured out from seeing a spoiler on here, I completly forgot the name she used before going all crazy.
I might be retarded.
>>
>>2705144
If you play a chick all of Kobato's scenes are hime hitting on the other girls, getting rejected and then hitting on the mc.
Honestly pretty funny and makes it seem like the female mc isn't hot enough for him to prioritize her.
>>
>>2715392
>>2715643
>Kuchinashi slowly coming to terms with her past by finding a new family in the musicians
>only for (You) to betray and mindwipe her in the end
That hurt ...
>>
Why didn't Kobato ever pull the moves on Kudan? The fuck is his problem? Pretty sure he tried with every other chick on the game, except NotoGin
>>
>>2716250
Because she's an alt-right nazi. The use of the Iron Cross imagery was in bad taste IMO.
>>
>>2716250
Her personality really pissed him of I guess similar to #QP.
>>
>>2716250
>Pretty sure he tried with every other chick on the game, except NotoGin
Pandora? Kranke? hell, Regret, but that one was too late in general
>>
File: 1526831893397.png (782 KB, 1010x795)
782 KB
782 KB PNG
>>2717043
First thing he does upon meeting Kranke is call her a bishoujo despite being in a wheelchair, and he only meets Pandora as a black goo.
>>
File: 20220729182728_1.jpg (444 KB, 1920x1080)
444 KB
444 KB JPG
Finally got to Marie's chapter, 30 hours in. Will it be worth the hype?

BTW, what happens if you don't expose Biwasaka? Does he kill someone?.
>>
>>2717256
if you cover for him he'll stay in your group and Kotaro dies saving Shadow Knife instead
>>
File: 20220730111917_1.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Marie's chapter was probably the shortest in the game, damn.

I still maintain that playing 2 first is better, knowing Marie's gimmick doesn't hurt 1's story (outside of literally one scene where you're locked in the clubroom and Marie is helping you) but it spoils a major twist in 2. I'm going to recommend people play 2 first.
>>
>>2702006
That design is so wonderfully chuuni.
>>
File: 20220730155022_1.jpg (213 KB, 1920x1080)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
:3

It's mind blowing that you can "fix" this merciless psychopath in the second game. She doesn't have a shred of conscience in the first game, it's a 100% serial killer personality.
>>
Is it me or Kiriko's damage output falls behind a lot in the later part of the game (let's say from chapter 6)?
Some members become absolute powerhouses, like Shota's Ashigarami is insane, as well as Marie's Brave Beat. Kiriko though doesn't look like she has any big hitter skill. Guillotine is kind of underwhelming.
>>
File: 20220718092723_2.jpg (518 KB, 1920x1080)
518 KB
518 KB JPG
>>2718809
Kiriko's Mijingiri is very spammable late game. Hits like a truck + launches the enemy.
>>
>>2718831
Oh, I guess it's a + version. Still need to get the skill then.
>>
>>2718370
it's a different experience going through 2 and wondering when she's gonna lose it
>>
File: Spoiler Image (367 KB, 1920x1080)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>2718858
BTW, a little bird told me there's a short novel about Marie, and someone even translated it into English and posted it online.
https://digi-lab.blog/the-caligula-effect-episode-marie-mizuguchi/
>>
File: 1508308823711.jpg (37 KB, 312x312)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2718871
Oh fuck, so somebody actually translated it. Thanks for the link.
>>
>>2718665
All thanks to Mu that she even has a chance at a normal life
>>
>>2718871
Love you, anon.
>>
PC a poop.
>>
>>2719342
Hey
>>
Started playing this game because I didn't have anything else to play and I'm surprised by how much I like it, characters, combat and music are all pretty fun
Although characters are a bit hit and miss, I found Sasara really sweet and well done, while Shota's issue is mostly portrayed in a retarded anime way - yes, doubting your ability to make correct decisions can be a big issue, but the way he can't even choose what to eat is just retarded
>>
File: 20220726193100_1.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
>>2719979
They'll eventually explain each character's quirks by revealing their IRL issues that caused them.

But yeah it's still pretty anime. Play the first game when you're done, it has more complex characters (but worse everything else), although some of the characters are exaggerated and go full Danganronpa in their edginess (not that it's a bad thing).
>>
File: 20220731155747_1.jpg (137 KB, 1920x1080)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Beat Overdose.

The main story was whatever, quite predictable. The twist with destroying the real world felt too childish. How were they even planning to do that? Do we even need this shit in literally every JRPG?

But yeah, the game is worth playing for the characters and music. Just temper your expectations.

This is Marie, right?
>>
>>2720284
do the Musician end real quick
and yes
>>
>>2720284
>spoiler
Yeah I think so. I've rewatched the movie a few times and wasn't able to come up with any other person.
Kuchinashi crying in front of her family's grave is the hardest one..
>>
File: 20220731173235_1.jpg (267 KB, 1920x1080)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>2720304
The musicians ending was worth it for Aria's 3D model I guess. Wish she was like Chi in the sequel, instead of this glowing ball for 99% of the game.

>>2720351
If it's Marie, then who's the dude? Doesn't look like a doctor. Maybe the novel linked above explains it, I'll have to read it.
>>
>>2720373
I thought it'd be her grandpa, she mentioned in one of her events that he was the one who took her in.
Maybe it's him, grieving over the mistakes he has committed in his life.
>>
>>2720373
>>2720382
It's her grandfather, thinking about pulling the plug, but walking off.
>>
File: 20220731155642_1.jpg (242 KB, 1920x1080)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>2720382
>>2720395
That makes sense. But who are these people?
>>
>>2720395
That's grim...
>>2720398
That should be Kotarou, right?

The only ones I can't pinpoint are these two students here.
>>
>>2720410
Ahh forget it, it's the bookworm. She and Mifue get two scenes each.
Pretty cute, we see her running off from home in a full run only to meet up with Sweet-P and discuss moe culture.
>>
>>2720410
That's Suzuna and Shonen-Doll.

>>2720412
Mifue and Sweet-P.
>>
File: ce2_train.jpg (515 KB, 2048x1446)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
If someone's wondering why the games are called Caligula Effect, it's a JP thing.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/カリギュラ効果

Basically, the 1980 Caligula movie was deemed too violent at the time and got banned in a number of areas in the US, but as a result people only wanted to watch it more. This became a meme of sorts in Japan.

And thus Caligula effect/phenomenon/syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where one one expresses a stronger desire to do something if it's forbidden. E.g. someone says "Don't touch it!" and you start wanting to touch it even more.

Not sure how it is related to the games' content though.
>>
>>2720473
People come to Mobius/Redo with an "ideal" identity and try to hide their real self, but you will reveal their true identity through the main story or side quests. Also in some character episodes, the game asks if you want to go deeper into their heart, I guess it is a type of Caligula Effect as it requires you making the conscious decision of peeking into a random person's real life.
>>
File: Ξ says the ni word.png (250 KB, 648x507)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>2720284
>Spoiler
You actually can kind of figure out how it would be possible in the last dungeon of 2. The only reason it's left open and you don't know it fully happens in 1 is because μ may not have enough faith and it's not plainly stated how many from reality were pulled to Mobius before they started collapsing from Astral Syndrome
>>
File: 20220724045924_1.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>2720610
>Astral Syndrome
Oh I just remembered. I don't like how it was retconned to be a different thing in 2.

In Overdose it's explained pretty early on that people are just sleepwalking IRL and can still do basic things like eating or taking care of themselves. While in 2 it was retconned to full coma with eventual muscle atrophy, as Kobato explains it.
>>
>>2720621
Maybe those patients were put into hospital beds for safety purposes and then atrophied?
>>
File: Shota.png (2.48 MB, 1920x1080)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB PNG
Neat
>>
>>2720826
The symbol in his hair?
>>
File: 1642369317488.png (445 KB, 744x322)
445 KB
445 KB PNG
Finished tonight. The gameplay is great and getting combos rolling with support skills, voltage and stuff feels great when you get the right circumstances for it, you can get to 80-120 hits and massive damage in after a good setting period, but the accuracy going up really makes the game way easier. Funny how it works, looking back I haven't gotten a single game over, while I got wrecked on the first one often despite being able to juggle enemies in the air to 500+ hits there. One single miss could ruin you, despite the quasi-savestate style of play. I ended up beating Regret with a lvl 35 party and in no moment was I in danger. Also pretty silly how I could avoid pretty much any enemy, including the ones supposed to guard many stigmas because they had gaps and they weren't actually locked.
Strange how the group seems more memorable this time as a cohesive, gestaltic whole, yet I liked the individuals more in the first one. Really everything made them stand out to be more unique, including the artstyle. Only exception is Kiriko because she ticks all my boxes and she's more cute than I could ever handle. It's true that you can relate to them more, or rather, they express their perspectives better. I honestly couldn't choose a cast over the other. I felt like compared, it lacked gravitas at times, yet because of that the story was more uplifting, but that also took a bit of niche charm to it. Seems like all the ironic karmic punishment and fucked stuff was in the WIRE sidequests this time, and it didn't delve nearly as deep. They did overlap in the first game but you had very detailed situations overlayed that seemed like real lifelong problems that would ruin a person or get them in a rut; this time all you get is a paragraph that looks like the synopsis of a patient done with the DSM-V and their, (of course) middling regrets about life. A more 'mature' work all around in the sense that you can see how the creator has a more positive outlook in life.
>>2720851
Yeh
>>
>>2721249
Yeah, Caligula 2 is more mature (or tame, depending on how you look at it). It's kind like Psychonauts 2 (if you've played that), the game's lost its edge and the shock factor, but it's overall a much smoother experience, with a better paced story, a more cohesive narrative, and massive improvements in the gameplay department.
>>
>>2721249
>they had gaps and they weren't actually locked.
I tried that once in #QPs dungeon and couldn't access the stigma until the enemies were defeated.
Either they updated it or you got lucky.
>>
File: 20220801152215_1.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
I guess I just hate myself or something.
>>
>>2721563
Zased!
>>
File: caligula autism.webm (2.69 MB, 853x480)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB WEBM
>>2721563
I hate myself more!
>>
File: 2019.png (1.36 MB, 1912x2096)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>They didn't complete the game multiple times to see each small variation of dialogue for themselves
Must be quite regretful
>>
>>2721921
I-I kneel.
>>
Now that I am reminiscing, fuck, it made me happy that they gave one of Eiji's lines to Ryuto, the 'How's the temperature?' when doing his catharsis effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_XsN-FdfU
>>
File: Screenshot (2135).png (2.3 MB, 1920x1080)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB PNG
>>2721906
>88 hours
Huh, guess it doesn't take THAT long.

>>2721921
But did you upgrade all skills on all 20 party members? You could also grind all 500 generic NPC's to lvl 99, in theory.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (551 KB, 1920x1080)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
End game spoilers for both games.

So did Thorn actually kill himself? Bluffman's backstory says he's missing. Why are they keeping this vague? What about Bluffman, MU-kun and Kudan? Do they die for real at the end of 2? Or is it a nothing burger again?
>>
File: 95888396_p6.jpg (152 KB, 600x450)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2721981
I interpreted that as nobody ever discovering Thorn's real identity, so he, rather than Natsume, 'disappeared'.
If getting grabbed by the goo is the same as when Redo's inhabitants got absorbed initially, you could assume they might be saved by Chi in the end. I figured Bluffman actually died before the goo took him though.
>>
>>2721906
>>2721921
Was it worth it though?
>>
File: 1655598746869.png (185 KB, 383x361)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
I'm on chapter 6 right now and enjoying the game overall. The story is better than I expected but the combat is easy as pissing, even when playing on hard mode. Also from what I've seen the first game looks much better technically and artistically.
>>
File: 20220724015856_1.jpg (464 KB, 1920x1080)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>2722671
>from what I've seen the first game looks much better technically and artistically.
lol no, the 1st game doesn't have mouth movement (or any facial animation), environments lack detail and feel copypasted, hub areas are just 2D backdrops like in a point and click game, the NPC helper (Aria) is a glowing ball instead of a fully animated character like Chi, there are only high school boy/girl NPC models, no fast food/office/medical workers, when they need to show an adult they just use a glitched high school student model, only a few bosses have unique movesets etc etc

I have both installed right now, and going from Overdose to 2 is like going from Persona 4 to 5, it's a massive jump in quality of everything
>>
>>2722693
>>2722671
I agree however that the first game is superior autistically speaking; the music is also more to my tastes.
>>
Is this game any good?
>>
>>2723521
Ye
It's a bit budget so the graphics are poopy and at least in the first game the dungeons are kind of bad, but I think everything else is pretty good.
>>
File: 20220623111904_1.jpg (397 KB, 1920x1080)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>2723521
It's pretty good, provided you're not expecting a high budget game. The soundtrack is amazing and the combat is very original and lots of fun. It also has a psychology gimmick with you exploring each party member's backstory and past traumas.
>>
File: 487df86df786.jpg (1.05 MB, 2560x2733)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Do you think they're related?
>>
>>2723612
Neat reference.
>>
https://twitter.com/caligula_GAME/status/1554753950359859201?s=19
Nip switch/PS4 versions got a version 1.2 update with the ugly grey uniform costumes and some bug fixes
>>
I just realized that Gin's cap hints at his secret.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-binary_gender#/media/File:Non-binary_symbol_(fixed_width).svg
>>
File: カリギュラ_022.jpg (647 KB, 489x1500)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
>Start after endgame with sidequests
>One requires me to use items (0/50)
Run ruined, I'm now a casual
>>
I completed CE2 once it came out on Steam and it reminded me - I played Vita Caligula when it came out in Japan but never really got into it and completely missed out on Overdose release.
Anyone know if there is some extensive list of differences and changes as I am wondering if it's better to play both or just focus on one version? I like replaying games but obviously Vita version will run at like 15fps so wondering if it's worth for anything.
>>
>>2726613
Overdose is generally better than CE1.
It has more content, features new characters and character episodes, an alternative route..
I'd always go with it.
>>
>>2726661
>It has more content
Excluding the causality link quests, that's the big downgrade. Now I don't think it's worth it like the Vita sperg and visual style but it's still a thing.
>>
>>2726666
>that's the big downgrade
Wut. The Musician Ending is the single best thing about the whole game, and Stork and Kuchinashi are easily more compelling and interesting characters than, say, the rich bimbo or superstar boy.
>>
>>2726675
I'm talking about the 500 NPC thing.
>>
>>2726613
The one thing Vita has is an unique bonus dungeon obscure enough for its gameplay to not even appear uploaded anywhere, and graphics that are more fitting to a virtual reality, but without all the content of Overdose. I did play both but I love the game
>>
File: 99683983_p0.jpg (1.56 MB, 1680x2000)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>
File: 20220726183312_1.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1080)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>2726613
Most differences are listed on the Steam store page, but namely:
>female MC
>2 new dungeons, 2 new musicians
>2 new go home club members
>musician route (musician party + bond episodes, doesn't need a separate playthrough, you just get extra chapters)
>this gives you 19 party members total aka 171 fully voiced bond episodes
>much better graphics (UE4), various QoL improvements
Best girl is exclusive to Overdose too.

The dungeons are a lot worse than 2 though, be mentally prepared for 5 floors of DRPG bullshit each time you go to a dungeon. Actually scratch that, DRPGs at least have fun gimmicks and traps, here you just run through endless mazes for hours on end.
>>
At the Tower of Prometheus, is there ever items and stigmas exclusives, or can I avoid all the enemies guarding chalices and not bother with opening stuff because it's all stress maxers and Royal Crunches for 100 levels?
>>
>>2728301
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/368385-the-caligula-effect-2/faqs/80021/the-tower-of-prometheus

If you don't care for the tower's gameplay, just entering it once gives you the achievement/trophy. There are some extra stigmas, but you don't really need them.
>>
>>2728330
>yeah, you can face multiple at once, up to 3 bosses on some floors
Shame that there are no banging remixes for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoNS5_JpDCQ
>>
>>2728608
Where's that screenshot from?
>>
File: Screenshot (2176).png (2.99 MB, 1920x1080)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB PNG
>>2728614
The anime adaptation of the first game.
>>
>>2728628
Neat, I've got to watch this some day.
>>
File: Screenshot (2160).png (1.67 MB, 1920x1080)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>2728644
It's bad, don't do it. Only 12 episodes (aka 4 hours) to fit the whole thing, the pacing is so rushed it makes the story feel incredibly shallow.
>>
>>2728657
The MC alone makes it worth it. You already have the game for getting to know the other characters, while the main character is a blank slate there. Ritsu is kino incarnate in the anime
>>
File: Screenshot (2133).png (2.18 MB, 1920x1080)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>2728677
idk I thought the MC was awful, he just quotes psychology books as if that's supposed to be deep
>>
>>
Does Hyper effect stack with X-mode? Also man hearing the start of Behavioral Aesthetics in the jukebox threw me off. Pretty sure the first seconds of both versions are never used in game
>>
File: cu55im.png (839 KB, 1280x720)
839 KB
839 KB PNG
>>2728682
Yes, because he's someone that has been socially subpar with no drive or ambition who still somewhere inside wanted to reach and understand others enough to bother copying surface techniques and theories learnt from his psychologist even when he was 'asleep' in Mobius. He transcends NPC status developing his own approach to life and people and realizing that he wished to understand the psyche enough to leave Mobius when objectively someone like him had no reason to. And he even teaches his waifu how humans are, better than anyone else could, that's how full of soul he ends up. He's a very genuine and humane character, the kind that precisely triggers the most those who need to cover everything in 700.000.000 layers of irony because all the 'consciousness' they ever awoke is the process of how to fake things and rennounce to their true self for materialistic gains or peer approval, so someone in the fence, who copies some things while realizing how stupid and alien the whole socializing aspect is in this reality to awkwardly reach others for no personal profit, and then actually being genuine is the ultimate humilliation to their ego
>>
File: 20220629150328_1.jpg (401 KB, 1920x1080)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
Anyone knows what's her flower?
>>
>>2731890
snowdrop
>>
>>2731929
Do you have a list for everyone? Also, what do all these flowers represent in the flower language?
>>
>>2731955
https://hananokotoba.com/hanakotoba-ichiran/
I just doubled checked on the flowers listed on the wikia and this is the site I used. Keep in mind that the flower language isn't a set thing and a flower can have different meanings so it may not completely fit them.

Protagonist - Apple - Priority, preference, choice, temptation, regret
Noto Gin - Rose (blue) - Love, beauty, (impossibility, miracle, wish fulfilled, god's blessing)
Tsurumaki Shota - Holly - Vigilance, foresight, protection
Tsukishima Ryuto - Dianthus (white) - Daring, genuine love, fidelity, (adept, talent)
Kazamatsuri Kobato - Scabiosa - Unfortunate love, I've lost everything
Miyasako Kiriko - Primula malacoides/fairy primrose - Beginning of youth and sadness, youthful love, (simplicity, casual love, create your destiny)
Amiki Sasara - Red canna - Passion, liveness, eternity, fantasy
Komamura Niko - Flaccid anemone - Friendship, cooperation, I'll never leave you
Amabuki Marie - Snowdrop - Hope, consolation

I'm not sure if Sasara's flower is correct but it looks close enough. Also, Gin, Shota and Kobato don't share the same birthday as their birthday flower (blue rose isn't associated with a specific birthday), and for most people protagonist too.
>>
>>2732646
Thanks! Some of these are very fitting, others not so much (e.g. Kiriko), maybe there are other interpretations or they're just meant to be vague and broad?
>>
File: Is this the Johari Window.png (3.24 MB, 1919x1079)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB PNG
I Catharsis Overdosed
>>
>>2733418
Is that the tower? RIP.

Haven't had any crashes myself though.
>>
File: 1629996988044.jpg (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>2733455
Yeah hadn't happened since the start of the game. I even had a power outage at my next attempt. Good thing the supremacy stigma and CRIT x3 on MC is broken. Still don't feel like I am finished since I didn't do level +100
>>
>>2734948
Is that the Monark MC? Nice crossover.

Anyhow, is extreme/level +100 even doable? I was doing the musician rematches on extreme/level +0 and it was already bullshit, pretty much only doable with voltage, some like #QP and Kudan just summon adds literally the second you kill them and both the boss and their adds will one shot you. I did manage to beat the Bluffman rematch on extreme though.
>>
>>2705852
You're supposed to go through 2 knowing who she is, you're supposed to also know about what Mu did with her after the end of the first game. You're not supposed to know who she is playing through the first game, granted it barely matters because the story of the first game is a complete dumpster fire and she appears maybe one more time in the entire game before the reveal
>>
File: 95178076_p3.png (923 KB, 1000x1417)
923 KB
923 KB PNG
>>
Suicide Prototyping while hunting laggards
>>
File: 20220731172014_1.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>2738198
That song is my guilty pleasure but I won't deny it sounds EXACTLY like one of Shadow the Hedgehog's themes, especially All Hail Shadow and Throw It All Away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lEDOnlTv4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLH0nnUnCY
>>
>>2735393
>Anyhow, is extreme/level +100 even doable?
I've only done +40 so far, but I guess yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, it just takes a lot of time and patience. They can't heal (I think?) so it's a matter of slowly chipping them down.
>>
File: AEjmjNTmex.jpg (5 KB, 322x64)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Between my job and the heatwave I've been playing at a snail's pace.
Now I only have to grind to max level and complete the tower at +100.
>>
File: 1552416688191.jpg (208 KB, 399x1200)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>2735393
Considering how the hit accuracy is much higher than on the first one, the range of enemies attacks much easier to kite/dash away from, and the turn cooldown can be reduced to null without even needing to use the most broken stigmas (and buff status like Hyper seem to last longer than Misery), sure, it should be easy. I already played underleveled enough for pretty much every attack that connects to mean a downed party member. Just would be really long to get through all of the tower without saving, and talking about that, having only 30 saves instead of the 180+ I made on the first one to replay every boss, world reward or high level stigma keeper with the level boost fucking blows
>>
>>2739011
Also voltage can save you from everything, makes you roflstomp anything, and can be easily refilled with a couple emergency barriers
>>
>>2739011
I'd imagine at level +100 counters don't work at all so it's going to be a boring dash/guard spamfest. Basically you guard until the voltage bar is full, then go all out, then guard again.
>>
>>2739011
>and the turn cooldown can be reduced to null without even needing to use the most broken stigmas
Is there a way to reduce it outside of voltage?
>>
File: S4RzWwPNxe.jpg (934 KB, 2560x1440)
934 KB
934 KB JPG
>enemies immediately start attacking while your members are still drawing their weapons
>chair immediately attacking MC, followed by Kranke, and then QP does a 1shot kill AoE
This is top tier bullshit, there's nothing I can do. I have to sacrifice MC and then revive her.
>>
File: AtckrgDQDU.jpg (1002 KB, 2560x1440)
1002 KB
1002 KB JPG
>>2740100
It worked, but still.
>>
File: kSsc4wrcec.jpg (817 KB, 2560x1440)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
>>2740104
YES, FUCK THAT CHAIR
>>
>>2740100
>>2740104
>>2740115
lmao, is that extreme/level +100 in the tower? why are you torturing yourself like this?
>>
>>2740167
Yeah. It's really not that bad. I mean, I just did that fight at level 75 average. Niko's reaper's resonance helps filling the ACC gap, then you just survive until voltage is full. Not using voltage would make this fight 100x harder, or rather a chore, since they can actually heal.
>>
>>2740115
>Not unleashing the stress attacks on the wheelchair
You deprived yourself of 500% of the enjoyment in that fight
>>
>>2740222
kek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.