[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

So what’s the consensus?
>>
Terrible, from the artstyle to pretentious gameplay
>>
Great, from the artstyle to the modest gameplay
>>
Mediocre, from the artstyle to the unremarkable gameplay
>>
File: sanic.jpg (310 KB, 1280x720)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
Overall, decent story: not perfect, it did have some silliness, but at least it was way better than your typical shonen anime. The gameplay is fun, and it offers a decent amount of metagame (which you'll never see any more discussion of here because it's not one of the two SRPGs /vrpg/ likes to circlejerk over). Overall, good entry in an underrepresented genre.
>>
>>2659604
>So what’s the consensus?
Benedick=Frederica>Golden>Shit>Roland
>>
>>2659721
Having low standards is your passion
>>
>>2659604
Bad. Terrible voice acting. Just completely forgettable. For They/Them Xers.
>>
>>2659604
is that the actual name of the game? what the fuck?
>>
>>2660709
Like with everything by these makers (See: Octopath Traveller) they started something, gave it a half-assed code name, decided they couldn't be bothered to think of something else and just kept the code name.
You will see that represented in everything in their games. Everything is half-baked. The writing tries to have oomph and weight, but it's just like they thought of some character's basic strugglers and then stretched that into a whole character arc without thinking too much on whether or not spending hours upon hours on the same topic may get tiring.
From artwork to battle systems, all of it the same thing. Half done, shipped out and abandoned.
>>
>>2659604
games dialogue was fucked by trans niggers, gameplay is mediocre story is whatever.
>>
>>2659604
it was like a 6/10
>>
>>2660719
I just thought it was the typical "it's in english, therefore it's ~exotic~" that japanese games often have
>>
>>2660787
You would think. But no, in this case it actually was the code name they couldn't be arsed to change.
>>
>>2659604
The story is retarded, but the gameplay is pretty good even if it's a bit simple.
>>
>>2659985
whatever, man.
>>2660738
If I were to put a number to it, this. Maybe 7/10 for hard mode after you get Quahaug, cause it's too fun/funny.
>>
>>2659604
It's okay.
>world feels small because the worldbuilding is is so limited
>characters are pretty bland
>plot is solid enough, if a bit predictable
>music is okay
>world looks nice enough, but characters sprites are poorly animated
>does some interesting things in terms of gameplay
>combat okay, but nothing special
>>
I absolutely love the gameplay and the characters are rad. The voice acting is trash especially during battles they tend to sound almost sexual which just sounds weird. the learned skills for characters is very shallow but there's like 20 something characters and all of them are actually playable if ya want. The story is okay and there's like a million dialogue options but most branches lead right back to a main story. Not a complete grind fest like octapath. Overall pretty decent game imo. Only tip I have is to change the voice acting to Japanese.
>>
>>2660709
It's a good example of why you don't announce a game using a working title, it's all that people will remember.
>>
File: Erika.png (2.72 MB, 1280x894)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB PNG
>>2659604
masterpiece, the game is full of soul and is very fun to play.
>>
File: ChadRolandMeme.png (1.53 MB, 1080x1080)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>2659738
Nah
Benedict > Roland > Golden > Frederica
>>
I liked it well enough but it is a 6/10. Benedict's route is the best one, and Roland is a terrible ruler.
>>
>>2663670
>Benedict route best meme
Golden is absolutely more exciting than any other route. Is it because protag gets to be king?
>>
>>2660719
the real problem is the Japanese compliance culture making it impossible to have a sane protagonist, instead you get weird beta herbivore sentiments all over the place
>>
>>2663679
Golden felt too happy ending for my taste which is why I prefer Benedict's route.
>>
>>2663682
Trademark Boku Japanese Faggots are starting to irritate me as years go by, that's true.
>>
>>2660719
>From artwork to battle systems, all of it the same thing. Half done, shipped out and abandoned.

The battle system is completely done in this game.
And it was in Octopath too.
Both games are "systems based" and do a great job with their mechanics.
But I guess you aren't looking for gameplay focused games for some reason?
Triangle Strategy does spend a little too much time on the story segments however. Even with the addition of the info gathering/town rummaging sections. But I kind of feel like SRPG as a genre just automatically equates to poor pacing
>>
>>2663719
This is so you don't get overwhelmed while replaying it for different events and endings. Far as I see it, it's good design for this type of game. Max level being 50 is, however, not good design. It's 4-5 playthrough to see everything, and 25 levels a playthrough would have worked.
>>
>>2659604
This would easily be game of the year, except for Xenoblade 3's impending release.
>>
>>2663739
Feels like the combat and story get worse with each Xenoblade. 2 sucked compared to chronicles and 3 doesn't look much better.
>>
>>2660719
They didn't change the name because people liked it.

“We usually put a lot of thought into determining the game’s titles. One of the things that we make sure that we think about is if the player can imagine what kind of game it is based on the title. When you look at Triangle Strategy, a triangle is three angles, and then ‘strategy.’ So it’s a strategy game that you play from three angles. Octopath Traveler is also named kind of from that perspective: Octo is the eight paths that you’re traveling.

We wanted to see what the reactions would be like behind ‘Project Triangle Strategy.’ So having ‘Project’ at the start of the name would give us a little bit of room to be able to change the name, but it ended up resonating with the audience, so we thought we’d keep the Triangle Strategy name.
>>
>>2659652
>>2659669
>>2659710
/Thread
>>
File: dfa.jpg (571 KB, 1920x1080)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
>>2663736
>Max level being 50 is, however, not good design. It's 4-5 playthrough to see everything, and 25 levels a playthrough would have worked.
this so much.
>>
>>2663736
>>2663843
It would honestly have been 100% improved by just not having any character levels when it already had a perfectly serviceable weapon progression system that could have covered everything. That or a fucking tactics ogre training system+fft tavern system instead of the god awful mental battlefield that doesn't even have an autobattle to smooth it over.

having only 8 characters per route would have made it kino
>>
>>2659604
it's genuinely incredible, I would say it's a 9-9.5/10. story and gameplay are both excellent. only thing i would have changed is some of the plotlines towards the end and added mini games to break up the monotony of the gameplay loop
>>
>>2664045
I wish they gave you an option to say fuck everyone. Don't like how you have to pick a side and the only option to save the Rosellens is to run. Why can't I say fuck it, fight a super hard battle and wreck both armies?
>>
>>2659604
A good game, I liked it far more than fft or TO. Story is good minus a few retarded bits, gameplay is challenging enough. Also every character being unique and viable makes the game far more customizable in the strategy department unlike the most srpgs with class and weapon customization (say fft) where at the end it is just a choice between a ranged or melee damage but in different flavors.
>>
>>2659652
>>2659986
>>2660733
Brainrot.
>>
>>2664146
Yeah, but it would probably be too much work for the devs
>>
>>2663670
Roland in Benedict route literally cries like bitch for the Roselle's
>>
>>2663670
>Roland a Chad
>Cucked out is revenge
>His sister is literally a better ruler
>Sold his whole kingdom meanwhile Serenoa was able to maintain it in Two routes
>Says that the Roselle's is a small price to pay
>But literally in Benedick route goes with "NOOOO MY ROSELLINOS"
Roland is literally a manchild
>>
It’s great, definitely a 9. The music is great, plot is engaging and I liked the choices. I can’t imagine how cucked you would have to be to go for the Roland ending though
>>
>>2660873
>octopath
>a complete grind fest
In what world is octopath a grind fest anon? Even the normal encounter rate is rather below average compared to the jrpgs whose tradition it is supposedly following
>>
>>2659604
It's pure kino.
Artstyle is great
Gameplay is great.
Story is decent. The decisions are very fun on a first, blind playthrough.
The controls are definitely a little clunky until you figure out how to turn of the fixed angle snapping.
It's horribly unbalanced though. Fortunately I didn't realize that the Quietus were a thing until the last map, but then using them completely trivialized everything.

As a former FE player, I will probably never be able to enjoy Fire Emblem again, after playing this.
It really showed how good SRPGs can be.
>>
>>2664844
have you even beaten the game? If you want to do all the routes you'll need to grind up each character
>>
>>2660873
>>2664844
This. The only way you would ever have to grind is if you want to kill Galdera. I beat the game with evasive maneuvers on the whole time. You just pick 3 members you always use and then swap out the 4th to do there story. You can pretty much 3 man the entire game. Some of the chapters I'd get in 2-3 fights for the entire dungeon.
>>
>>2659721
what is metagaming? in my opinion, i play a lot of tactical games. you are talking about like... gameplay options?
>>
>>2660841
Why are you being a dick? He's right though. This game does nothing special. I just wish we could get good srpgs again
>>
>>2659604
It’s very good.
>>
>>2665193
that's really the big problem, once you do one character's quest every other character is just too easy and there's no gameplay just running around slapping easy fights
>>
>>2665678
whole time I play TS I just think about how much cooler it would be with robots
>>
>>2665186
Not really. I only swapped out characters other than my original party when I traveled to their story locations and clearing dungeons around it. If anything my overleveled cyrus trivialized everything finishing all random encounters in one turn. Even beating galdera doesn't need any grinding if you setup your party correctly and careful through the fight
>>
>>2665615
>what is metagaming?
Using the most efficient tactics available.
In the case of Triangle Strategy it just means warping Anna behind the boss and killing him instantly with extra turns from the Quietus.
>>
>>2666026
the stats are so stupidly bloated on hard mode that even if you get 6 combo attacks in a row it doesn't fucking kill the boss but it doesn't matter because the boss never gets a turn when you can just steal all their turns with spring traps and conceal
>>
>>2664369
Shut the fuck up, bitch. This game sucks harder than your mother.
>>
>>2666131
That is true.
>>
>>2666026
Bullshit, Anna's lategame damage is peanuts even with the extra turns.
>>
>>2665678
Not caring about the opinion of some random anon who was actually being a dick and not bringing anything to the discussion is being a dick, kek? He's not right and you're both just jaded.
>>
I giggled when they couldn't help themselves and gave the final boss of the golden route the Octopath Traveler treatment of large detailed sprite when the whole rest of the game and even the same boss in another route were the same size as the player characters.
>>
>>2666322
I like final bosses of the "overwhelm him fast or else" variety, so I liked this one too.
>>
>>2666387
I only completed the frederica route but the enemy turns getting faster as the time goes+reinforcements nearly kicked my shit in. I killed idore with only maxwell left alive and that too was because of his auto-revive.
>>
>>2665183
>Artstyle is great
>Gameplay is great
>budget FFT with an extra layer of animu to not get sued
>great
lol
lmao even.
>>
File: 1600291205823.gif (288 KB, 1024x576)
288 KB
288 KB GIF
>>2666399
>budget FFT
>with an extra layer of animu
>>
File: 1570259220969.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2666322
Even though I was a big fan of octopath bosses, I really liked that they kept the bosses even the hierophant as normal humans during the entire game in triangle.
Definitely fitted the very low fantasy setting a lot more.
>>
Serious question, but is there a better board to discuss this game? Would it better suit /vst/, or are they also jam-packed full of faggots that only ever play one game then have the gall to pretend they're an authority in the genre?
>>
>>2666758
Reddit may be more up your high horsed, head-in-your-ass style.
>>
>>2666758
>Would it better suit /vst/
No.
/vst/ is actually just /v4x/
>>
Entire game of non-characters for retards who pretend to read game of thrones.
>>
>>2666839
Agreed, how do they expect me to care about Frederica if she doesn't even trip on Serenoa and call him a pervert upon their first meeting'
>>
>>2659604
I stopped playing when I saw the shield using class was literally just using a shield
And also there was some poor sap permanently glued to a horse
What shitty aesthetics
>>
>>2659604
It's literally FFT and TO but if it was released in the current day.
In other words a mediocre game that can be somewhat enjoyable for people that don't play JRPGs or the particular RPG subgenre in question, in this case tactics gameplay, just like any other game square has ever released.
However unlike FFT or TO, there's no massive eceleb shill campaign wanking the game as the best thing ever, so people that play it end up experiencing the game as it really is, a mediocre half baked mess that tries too hard to be mature and slightly silly so you can't say it's trying too hard to be mature.
>>
>>2659604
It plays like the tactics equivalent of a movie game with tons of setpieces.
It was decently fun but I can't help but feel the disgusting smell of a soulless corporate cash grab made in a lab in such a way people think it's the best thing ever, just like oscar bait Hollywood movies.
>>
>>2659604
I've heard of this great new game called Lords Mobile, lett's check it out. So we need to create a triangle formation.
>>
>>2659604
If this style were on a spectrum:
Soulful: Bravely Second
Fun: Bravely Default
Mid: Octopath
Soulless: Bravely 2
Triangle Strategy: Triangle Strategy
>>
>>2666842
is there a way to get frederica to enjoy killing people
>>
File: hard.png (671 KB, 1599x1080)
671 KB
671 KB PNG
>>2659604
probably JRPG of the year if your not a child. The combat mechanics are really fun to mess around and create goofy combos with on some pretty varied maps and scenarios. The plot gets silly at moments but overall has enough political intrigue elements to get interesting. It has a pretty slow start but it's worth it when it picks up.
>>
>>2667007
she gradually gets more into it through out the story
>>
It's probably whatever just like Octopath was. But still probably better than Octopath.
>>
>>2664146
Imagine
>You fight Gustadolph, Sycras and the entire Aesfrosti army on the one side
>You fight Exharme and Kamsell and the entire hyzantian army on the other side
>Massive map, like 5 maps put together with all kinds of height differences, element places and other stuff
>30 unit battle, meaning you have to use all of them to even stand a chance, no quahaug and ezana bs
>reinforcements each turn for like 5 turns
>>
>>2663719
>But I kind of feel like SRPG as a genre just automatically equates to poor pacing
It's a challenge, but you can still have a tight plot with snappy, focused cutscenes that keep the inanity to a minimum.
>>
File: fft-orbonne1.png (1.39 MB, 1920x1080)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>2666948
>It's literally FFT
It's not and you can tell right from the get-go that whatever you might think of the presentation in FFT, TS is worse. The very first scene involves some random boring blathering expository dialog about an impending wedding, followed by a retarded sequence where the bride-to-be is abandoned on a dock by her entourage for no good reason. The whole scene was so terribly planned out that the protagonist has to quickly murder one of the hostiles as a joke to dash across the screen into the desired position before the battle starts.
>>
>>2667049
tell me you're 13 without telling me you're 13
>>
>>2667161
>it's not literally the exact same game i want but with more content, therefore it's shit
and this is why every single westoid franchise is dead
>>
>>2659604
It's a great midwit filter for retards who are too low IQ to appreciate a very low-fantasy setting and characters who aren't overdesigned to hell and back.
All the ironic weebs and FE fags got completely filtered by it and it's great.
>>
Great gameplay and a story that was enjoyable enough until it shat the bed in the late game. I feel like the final choice wouldn't have even happened if the writers didn't basically force Roland go full retard. Serenoa being revealed to be some secret royal affair baby felt really hamfisted, too, especially since they put it right after the big reveal that they spent most of the game building up.
>>
>>2667252
Why? It'd make for a dope "superboss".
>>
>>2667161
>for no good reason.
you didn't really watch any of the cutscenes involving the Aesfrosti, huh? Or if you did, you suck at reading the room.
>>
>>2667375
>more is better even if it's total shit
>>2667576
Yeah no I dropped before getting that far.
I use the first few scenes as a litmus test for how the rest of the game is going to go and Triangle Strategy failed hard.
There's no reason why the first scenes of the game shouldn't be among your best, most well-written sequences. So if they're shit, that bodes poorly for the rest of the game.
>>
File: 1565244138803.png (154 KB, 438x453)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>2667703
>Yeah no I dropped before getting that far.
>I use the first few scenes as a litmus test
>>
>>2667730
other stories (such as the one in FFT) don't have the problem of doing self-evidently retarded shit right off the bat, that requires patching up with some lame excuse later on.
>>
>>2667810
>other stories (such as the one in FFT) don't have the problem of doing self-evidently retarded shit right off the bat, that requires patching up with some lame excuse later on.
Maybe the excuse is lame, maybe not, but why do you declare so when you said yourself that you dropped it before reaching the part? Also is fft your first and only srpg or what, you sound like a teen who refuses to even consider other games seriously because he is convinced that the few he played will always be the best.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.