[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (95).jpg (28 KB, 739x415)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
There are high INT speech checks and low INT speech checks but what is an example of a midwit speech check?
>>
>>2598041
[Speech, 5%] Not an PRG
>>
>>2598041
Just the normal ones you have
>>
Due to a bug all dialogue in bethesda games is low INT. Sad!
>>
That's actually a really cool idea. Add in some partail failures that basically show that you are a midwitt who barely knows what they are talking about or opperates based on idiotic pop-science / Kurzgezagt logic. So for instance, some midwitt failure results on OPs picrel Int check:
>Heh, computer, divide by 0!
>Process this, ahem, THIS STATEMENT IS FALSE!
>>
Discussing Fallout New Vegas in detail is basically a real midwit speech check.
>>
>>2598041
>[INT 5]I really like Fallout: New Vegas!
>>
>>2598228
>That's actually a really cool idea.
Also one that will never work because if you have a fully voiced game (and you have to because gamers are retarded) this increases VA costs expenationally.
>>
>>2598449
>you have to because gamers are retarded
new RPG definition! if this describes your audience, you aren't making RPGs.
>>
>>2598420
>[Intelligence 5] Discussing Fallout New Vegas in detail is basically a real midwit speech check.
>>
File: rpgsweak.png (135 KB, 948x300)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>2598458
Well, true, there are no rpgs.
>>
>>2598420
Yeah, talking about speech options is the worst thing to come from Oblivion with Guns and it's sequel. Just really boring threads.
>>
>>2598473
they lie outside most people's comprehension, that's all. there just cannot be a AAA RPG, it's oxymoronic, as soon as you aim at the LCD, you've left the genre behind and sacrificed the roots for marketability.
>>
>>2598228
I basically wanted to see a game play with the idea of not taking everything said by an NPC at face value.
>>
>>2598473
true
>>
>>2599457
Pathologic.
>>
>>2598482
Fucking kek. RPGs are the most smooth brained genre out there. You played one you've played them all. It's not like you have to puzzle what everyones saying together or actually ROLEPLAY in them. Going some sort of fighter/mage hybrid will get you through 90% of them.
>>
>>2598041
I mean, it's dice roll. Does it matter what the words are? Like, would you be less upset if it was 3 paragraphs that boiled down to "you're a robot, execute self destruct order 00685487XPXYY001?"
>>
File: Beepboop.jpg (69 KB, 640x480)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2600137
>>
>>2598055
What are you talking about?
RPGs are all about percent chances to do something.
In Fallout 1 and 2 virtually everything was based on a % chance to hit. From hacking to stealth to pick-pocketing to rigging explosives, it all was chance based.

Speech being % chance to hit is the most RPG thing to do
>>
>>2598449
Is VA really that expensive anymore when you can pay gig economy losers less for VA work than you'd pay for a burger delivery
Developers just need some AI sound mastering to smooth out cheap work from home VAs using different cheap equipment
>>
>>2602846
>pay gig economy losers less for VA work
And get bethesda voice acting.
>>
>>2598041
The best example would be "I really like Fallout 3"
>>
>>2602820
>RPGs are all about percent chances to do something.
It is sad that this is what people believe.
>>
>>2598041
Is it me or was Eden a low rent version of master?
>>
>>2604144
It was a stroke of competence for Bethesda to give Eden his own radio show. Great way to have the player get to know a character you only meet once. They should have given Lanius a radio show, that way he could have been an actual character instead of just some cosplaying doofus who shows up for you to kill at the end.
>>
>>2604144
Much of oblibion with guns was low rent version of FO1 and 2.
>>
>>2598041
This thread
>>
>>2598055
Fallout 3 for all of its problems I'd still consider an RPG. Just not a very good one.
>>
>>2604162
FO3's plot is literally just a combination of 1 and 2's.
>Fallout 1: find the water chip and defeat the evil Super Mutants
>Fallout 2: find the GECK and defeat the evil Enclave
>Fallout 3: find the GECK which will act as a water chip for the entire region, and also defeat the evil Super Mutants and evil Enclave
Fallout 3 even has you rescuing your dad the same way you rescue your mom in Fallout 2
>>
>>2604162
>>2605904
>>2604144
It's because Bethesda unironically were too afraid of doing anything too unfamiliar to what people already knew from Fallout, which is why everything in that game is taken from the first 2 games. It almost feels like a 2008 version of a soft reboot movie.
Except the super mutants because they aren't even that, they're just yellow orcs.
>>
>>2605904
>>2605908
Remember when Fallout 3 was meant to be 20 years after the bombs and not 200, but then they wanted to have the Brotherhood so they destroyed the sensibility of the world people and story that they already made.
>>
>>2598041
Everything in Outer Worlds.
>>
>>2602859
Bethesda does the opposite. They blow their entire budget on five celebrity VA's and have them voice hundreds of characters, and despite the cost they still let their premium VA's phone it in.
>>
>>2598055
It went over other's heads, but I thought this was very clever anon.
>>
>>2605908
>It's because Bethesda unironically were too afraid of doing anything too unfamiliar
lol
lmao
that's why they went fpp real time
They went that way because they're creatively bankrupt.
If you think anyone at bethesda was worried how Fallout fans would receive their garbage you need a reality check.
>>
>>2606407
>that's why they went fpp real time
They went that way because they could reuse their engine again. That's the only reason. And the games are shit for it.
>>
>>2598214
At first I thought you were burning op lol. But yeah the normal dialogue is the banal midwit stuff normal people can produce and that geniuses also spend the majority of their time using
>>
>>2598055
Source?
>>
>>2606487
>They went that way because they could reuse their engine again
Engine has nothing to do with this. Civ 4 uses gamebryo.
>>
>>2606306
This isn't true and there is no source on this information people spout

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.