[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Look, I'm gonna level with you guys. I'm old, retarded and lazy and I dont wanna have to think when I'm playing a rpg.

Sometimes I just wanna chill out, drink a beer and play a chill turn based rpg. Essentially watching a movie with grinding aspects in it. It seems like all "turn based" rpgs these days involve some kind of action bar bullshit where you can attack when the bar fills up or some other weird shit about positioning characters in a field etc. I'm looking for some games like FFX, DQ11 or P4.

Alternatively why is the genre of turn based with decent stories dying?
>>
Turok 2
>>
>>2598023
>Turok 2

fuck youre funny
>>
>>2598021
>why is the genre of turn based with decent stories dying?

Same reason text based MMOs died, Turn based combat was originally a way to have more in-depth combat system on hardware that was very limiting. Not only in terms of power, but also in terms of inputs. On the NES you had 8 inputs, including directional ones. So even if the console COULD handle a live combat system where you and your enemy can at any time use any of the attacks, heals and items from Final Fantasy, you just don't have the input to hammer them in. Plus you're in a 2D world, so positioning isn't as much of a thing as in say devil may cry.
Now eventually we got to a point where we can do all this combat, but have it full 3D and live, so it makes little sense to make it turn based any more. (grand you, the combat in the new FF kinda sucks, but I see it like the first baby steps of JRPG turn based combat turned live. I think it might get better in the next 10 years, just as turn based combat in the original FF series improved)
Oh and before you say: "But I LIKE turn based combat!" yeh, buddy. Me too. But it's just not a big draw for most people.
PS: I know you said you don't want positioning in a field, and are looking for something like FFX BUT might I recommend the two X-COM reboot games? Probably some of the best modern turn based fun you can have, play it on Iron Mode, so no savescumming. And with this little detail: Every time you take a soldier that's already promoted to a class: name them after someone you know: Friend / Family / Favourite Actors / Video game Characters / whatever. (After promo so you don't have to name 2000 rookies) And suddenly you care a lot more about wheater or not they get injured in the field.
>>
>>2598021
trails in the sky trilogy
>>
>>2598021
I will never fully understand the story of Final Fantasy X

1. What in the actual fuck is Dream Zanarkand?

2. What's that intro supposed to mean, when Sin attacks Zanarkand and ''pulls'' Tidus? Did he attack Dream Zanarkand or real Zanarkand? If it was real, why was Tidus there?

3. What exactly is Tidus, aka a ''dream of fayth''?

4. Auron is well known and well respected. Everyone around Spira knows of him. They know he was Braska's guardian. So why the hell nobody asks how he survived? He was probably the only guardian who ever survived the pilgrimage, and people don't think that's strange?

5. Why is it that a guardian (in this case Jecht) who turns into Sin sometimes have the control of Sin, and sometimes does not and just attacks people?

6. If Sin appears / attacks places where many people gather and/or when technology advances too much, then why are people gathering on purpose and why are they advancing their technology? From my point of view it seems like they WANT to be killed.

7. How is it possible that some of the most dangerous enemies - not including Penance and Dark Aeons - are in some guy's tent?
>>
>>2598021
>I'm looking for some games like FFX, DQ11 or P4.
>good turn based rpgs
Getting signals as mixed as your ancestry.
>>
>>2598065
>1. What in the actual fuck is Dream Zanarkand?
There was a war between Machina users from Bevelle and summoners from Zanarkand. Yu Yevon used a bunch of people as conduits for a summoning (The Fayth) and he created dream Zanarkand, as well as Sin, and he planned to have Sin attack any Machina city that became to big. But Yu Yevon lost control, and Sin destroyed Zanarkand and began his rain of terror.
>2. What's that intro supposed to mean, when Sin attacks Zanarkand and ''pulls'' Tidus? Did he attack Dream Zanarkand or real Zanarkand? If it was real, why was Tidus there?
Jecht, who was sin at that time had a low ember of consciousness as sin, and it made him pick up his son from dream zanarkand, basically. So now it wasn't real.
3. What exactly is Tidus, aka a ''dream of fayth''?
Zanarkand was losing the Machina / summoner war, so Yu Yevon gathered all of the survivors of Zanarkand who willingly got turned into Fayth. He then summoned a "dream Zanarkand", which was a representation of Zanarkand at the height of it's glory, to preserve it for eternity. He then summoned Sin, to keep the world from creation too much dangerous Machina but lost control, and it destroyed the real Zanarkand. Tidus (and his father Jecht) are dreams within that city unaware that they are not real, just living their lifes.
>So why the hell nobody asks how he survived? He was probably the only guardian who ever survived the pilgrimage, and people don't think that's strange?
Most people don't really know how the whole process works beyond "the summoner dies", and likely thin guardians tend to die because it is such a dangerous mission, I'm sure there have been surviving guardians before.
>5. Why is it that a guardian (in this case Jecht) who turns into Sin sometimes have the control of Sin, and sometimes does not and just attacks people?
I assume each Aeon has a bit of control over sin, but it gets overwritten by the summoner Yu Yevons original input: Destroy machina. So, -
>>
>>2598128
>>2598065
Guardians can kinda control sin, but they lose that control when they attack stuff.
>6. If Sin appears / attacks places where many people gather and/or when technology advances too much, then why are people gathering on purpose and why are they advancing their technology? From my point of view it seems like they WANT to be killed.
That's the whole "The church is corrupt" plot, plus some people think they can use Machina to defeat Sin, etc. Plus: Gathering itself is not super dangerous, just being way too advanced.
>7. How is it possible that some of the most dangerous enemies - not including Penance and Dark Aeons - are in some guy's tent?
You capture them and they breed 'em or something. It's one of those things that doesn't super make sense.
Just how technically, Penance and Dark Aeons should not be stronger than fucking Sin, but here we are. It's a bit of gameplay over story.
>>
>>2598119
DQXII was good.
>>
>>2598149
>DQXII
it not even out yet you retard
anyway Reddit Quest 11 is the worst and blandest DQ game
>>
>>2598159
>it not even out yet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_XI
>Release
>July 29, 2017
Time traveler?

>anyway
DQXI is a great game.
>>
Not RPGs.
>>
File: hah-hah-hah.gif (49 KB, 220x127)
49 KB
49 KB GIF
>>2598170
>DQXI is a great game.
>>
>>2598176
No argument?
>>
>>2598179
What's there to argue? Game's boring and wears out it's welcome easily into act three. I even used Draconian Quest up until the doll boss in the wall painting and turned it off because I just wanted to be done with the game then they were like "haha jk time travel" which will always be the shittiest trope to exist and invalidates any prior stakes. Sylvando is a bro and Hendrick's face turn was cool albeit a generic story bit at this point, but nothing else about the game made me care much about what was happening.
>>
Persona 5, it's easy as fuck and pretty comfy. Also one that's old but a favourite of mine is Shadow Madness for the PsOne
>>
>>2598149
>DQXII
>>2598170
DQXI
Special person?
>>
>>2598193
>persona
>good
lol
lmao
you bitch
>>
Persona hasn't been good since 2

Also I prefer turn-based too. If major companies care too much about what kids want now, it'd be nice seeing some indie games that return to the old style. After all, nostalgia is probably one of the biggest draws in the entertainment industry.
>>
>>2598238
>it'd be nice seeing some indie games that return to the old style
You mean the near infinite shovelware pixel rpg's littered throughout Steam?
>>
>>2598238
>>2598193
not RPG
>>
>>2598251
sorry chudm8 but I'm a heterosexual white male
if anything shitsona fans are trannies
>>
Get into The Legend Of Heroes. Tons of content
>>
>>2598021
DQVIII and FFIX
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross
>>
>>2598188
filtered
>>
>>2598256
>>2598329
>I have no point but I must buzzword
You nerds get the same effort you put in.
>>
>>2598021
Try Lost Odyssey if you have an Xbox around.
>>
>>2598188
>What's there to argue?
The fact of you not having an argument.
>>
>>2598065
brainlet
>>
>>2598213
He asked a question and I answered it. Keep seething tranny
>>
>>2598305
>Reddit Quest 8
>Facebook Fantasy 9
>Twitter Trigger
>Discord Cross
OP asked for good turn based RPG's not for the most popular mainstream bad/mediocre games
>>
>>2598616
Keep saying it.
>>
>>2598021
Expeditions games.
>>
>>2598653
Your obsession with social media will never make you a woman.
>>
>>2598065
>>2598128
>4. why does no one ask how he survived?
Because not all guardians die. This is explained completely when you arrive at ruined Zanarkand and meet Yunalesca. The summoner picks ONE guardian (preferable one that they are closest to emotionally) to be turned into the Final Summon. Any other guardians they have can just go do whatever they want after the summoner makes the sacrifice. Remember, Auron never died because he was a guardian, but rather after Braska and Jecht sacrificed themselves, he tried to go solo kill Yunalesca and got his ass handed to him.
>>
Trust me now you know why people love FFX was so loved. Apart from the temple trials/puzzles the game was max comfy and the combat was the shit. Run into a tough boss situation? Go grind for a few hours and come back.
Shit like divinity 2 has amazing combat that’s turn based mixed with positioning strategy but than they fuck you by making the questing progress system completely open ended. You can spend hours bouncing between fetch quests, and having to have certain attributes to progress like digging dirt mounds and talking to animals is fucking bullshit stuff only people who look up a guide and shit find out. Your literally stuck in a pinball machine grasping at straws to see if you somehow fumble your way into progression. The Japanese knows this sucks for the average person who comes home from work, so they make their games linear
>>
>>2600391
>>2598021
I am of similar preference. Before gaming became something aimed at normies and stock holders, I feel like games were much more enjoyable.
Now the common thing for RPG developers is to:

>make all dialogue non-linear multiple choice answers.
So now writing quality drops dramatically as nothing impactful can happen as all choices need to be feasible to choose at any point, meaning everything ends up pretty milk toast. Not only that but the extra budget on voice acting means less money spent on other parts of development.

>make non-linear questlines and/or adds a game over timer to complete objectives
This adds unneeded confusion for players due solely to an inability to link quests coherently and the timers are just inventing a non-existing problem for some artificial 'replay ability'. A game is replay-able if its just a good game. I will replay that shit mulitple times. Forcing players to be unable to complete certain things by time gating them is just annoying.

>Aim for the largest open worlds they can make
This just results in artificial time extentions of playtime where you are doing nothing but running from A to B while they try to give you the illusion of gameplay by adding random collectables and jobber fights that are barely worth their weight in XP.
I remember when every single game that came out with a wide open area (usually a desert) those areas were universally despised for being boring and tedious.
Then its like someone saw that and went "Dude, I want my whole game to be a desert level" or some shit.
Not that all open world games are bad, just that I have yet to see one that doesn't make the traversing of it feel like at least half your playtime being spent in tedium.
So far nothing has beaten good old RPG world map traversal between locations.

>replace all RPG with some form of ARPG
Because normies are too ADHD riddled to be able to handle calm strategizing, we end up with simpler and simpler battle systems that use less and-
>>
>>2600473
less skills and abilities. Even then, they have to automate it so you don't have to stop the action in order to cycle through which skills you have available.
>>
>>2600473
Can you name some games that have all these made up elements like you described?
>>
>>2598065
"dream zanarkand" and everyone in it are basically part of a massive summon. summons in the game are created by the dream of the fayth, usually one person in a temple turned to stone. but the fayth that created dream zanarkand is made up of a fuckton of people turned to stone near the ruins of the real life zanarkand
calling tidus a "dream" is a bit misleading because he's a physically tangible, it's just that he disappears once the fayth stop dreaming
>>
>>2600554
They rarely have all 4 mentioned, but usually at least 2 or 3.
For example the bethesda FO and TES has all except the questlines (kind of)
The pathfinder and other recent DnD style games dont have openworld or action.
FF15 added open world and ARPG
Elden Ring has all except the multi choice dialogue
So they are hardly 'made up elements'
>>
>>2598021
SMTIV scratches my itch for that
>>
>>2598021
Golden Sun
>>
>>2598065
What you need to know is that there was a war between two nations, one that possessed technology and one that had wizards. Magic exists in the world and they were exterminating said wizards. One powerful wizard seethe so hard that his nation lost to technology, that he perpetuated a cycle of chaos for one thousand year, refusing to lose. This has kept the world somewhat stagnant but in reality very secretly the very people that maintain the status quo have developed forms of technology. Then, magic itself which has personifications got tired of the wizard, and they sent their gang to help another gang finally put that nigga to sleep. The End.
>>
I still miss Skies of Arcadia.
>>
>>2602339
it's ironic that the turn based combat was easily the worst part of SoA, but the ship battles made up for it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
sex with Yunalesca
>>
>>2602379
I liked they didn't feel turn based.

and worst part of the DC version was the high random encounter rate.
>>
>>2600473
>Before gaming became something aimed at normies and stock holders
How far back are you going?
Final Fantasy had been targeted at normies since the beginning and doubly so since VII. X had been the most normie-oriented Final Fantasy yet, with the main character being a twinky star athlete with daddy issues and side characters like Rikku and Yuna being blatant fapbait.
>>
>>2602407
might be dead by snu snu, and/or some supernatural STD.
>>
>>2598179
>>2598616
>>2598329
What she >>2598176 >>2598188 >>2599720 is trying to say is that you guys don't have the right and objective opinion, it's very obvious.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.