[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are there still modern open world RPGs being made that have absolutely no quest markers?
>>
>>2596233
if only they'd invent some kind option in the settings to turn off the HUD.
>>
>>2596236
Are you stupid? Have you tried playing a modern RPG hudless? The NPCs give you next to no information on the objective and the objective description in the quest log usually reads nothing beyond "Talk to Nameguy Nameson".
>>
>>2596242
>quest log
that's part of the problem really
>>
>>2596233
Elden Ring is the only one I can think of.
>>
>>2596246
I guess it would be pretty fun if your quest log was an actual notebook in real life where you had to make your own notes and the game let you ask the NPCs to repeat information you missed.
>>
>>2596247
It literally tells you exactly where to go on the map
>>
>>2596236
To play without quest markers, would require competent writing entries in journal, what is needed would be something along
>'kill the troll northwest of the mine, to get therer start at the mine, and after 20 paces turn left near big rocks, then continue forward until you reach a cave that troll residees in'
instead quest entries in journal looks like that
>'kill troll'
>>
>>2596249
if the quest description tells you how many exact paces to walk and it what direction thats exactly the same as a quest marker.

the way to play without quest markers is by EXPLORING
>>
>>2596242
>no information on the objective
>you have his name
zoomer detected.
sit down this may come as a shock but you can explore areas, talk to people, draw a map and figure it out all by your lonesome using this thing called the spirit of discovery.
>>
>>2596247
Elden Ring belongs in the 90s. It could be the most organic, old-school experience if we didn't have IGN guides and all these fucking wiki pages spoil your experience by metagaming and min-maxing like a faggot
>>
>>2596254
Fucking idiot. Name one modern RPG with quest markers that lets you travel to a new town and ask the locals about an objective and that dialogue isn't already part of advancing the quest.
>>
>>2596249
Only the three invasion quests from the manor. The rest of them are un-apologetically obtuse. Bonus points too for the sites of grace in the beginning leading you directly to Margitt where he will stomp your ass if you go there immediately, meaning you're supposed to ignore it and explore all the way to the weeping pennisula before trying him.
>>
I don't mind quest markers as long as they aren't omniscient. Like if an npc tells you where a location then it's fine. I'd like more general markers that just highlight a part of the map if your character wouldn't know specifically where to go.
Also it's funny that the only quest that doesn't use markers in skyrim (unusual gems) is universally hated.
>>
>>2596233
No, RPGs have to be accessible to minorities and women so you better get used to the obvious quest markers and lack of directions chud.
>>
>>2596254
Your reading comprehension is terrible.
>>
Once you get used to the directions in Morrowind you realize they're so simplistic that they might as well be quest markers. When an NPC says something is to the west, it is almost always exactly to the west. I'm not knocking this and think it's a pretty clever way to point the player in the right direction, but it makes me wonder if they would have done quest markers if they could have done it/thought to do so.
>>
>>2596575
There was one cave I had a hard time finding I recall. Also the Morag Tong is a bitch to find the first time.
>>
>>2596236
>when the game is designed around it
Why are you so stupid? What happened to you during childhood?
>>
>>2596261
>Elden Ring belongs in the 90s
90s had better combat and fewer bugs.
>>
>>2596575
They started using quest markers because of people getting lost in Morrowind. You have to understand just how dumb most people are, anon.
>>
Give Outward a try. You might just enjoy it.
>>
>>2596599
I think I had the toughest time in doors where the map would overlap. I remember getting annoyed with Ebonhart because I rarely went there and all the rooms looked the same. I would have liked a quest marker if just inside that place.

>>2596617
I try not to think about it, anon.
>>
>>2596254
Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
>>2596233
Elden Ring has a compass and a map, but no quest markers aside from the waypoints you can set yourself.
>>
>>2596609
Git gud.
>>
>>2596657
advice for fromshit
>>
>>2596609
>90s had better combat and fewer bugs.
I was there and you literally had nothing remotely resembling Souls combat. MAYBE Armored Core, but only if you're emulating.
>>
>>2596677
Severance in early 00s. Die By The Sword. DMMoMMMM slightly later.
also
>>>/v/
>>
>>2596696
Based.
>>
>>2596671
Git gud.
>>
>>2596696
Retard.
>>
Man what's with all these crpg shitters getting filtered by easy fromsoft games? Passing a speech check to win really has broken a whole generation of RPG players
>>
>>2596247
>A red mark has appeared on your map
>>
>>2596548
Unusual gems is like the morag tong special duties if they didn't give a good reward
>>
>>2596548
because it's a shitty asscreed-type collect'em all quest. the lack of markers only make it more annoying. skyrim would do well with 'general area' markers, but one of the issues is if the item or npc is glitched and not present. quest markers exist in part because the testers need to know if the damn thing is even working.
>>
>>2596247
>rpg
>>
>>2596696
>DM has better combat than Elden Ring
What the fuck gave you that idea? The roster of boring gimmick bosses? The floaty shitty weapons? The overpowered kick?
>>
File: dmm1.webm (2.89 MB, 960x540)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
>>2596860
>>>/v/
retard
>>
>>2596575
Maybe, but I literally cannot play games with quest/objective markers anymore after playing shit like the old Hitman games, Thief, Morrowind, etc. If the game has a map with the objective marked I'm perfectly fine with that, but quest markers just make the gameplay feel so bland.
>follow this marker
>now this one
>pick this marked item up
>now follow this marker
>kill this marked guy
>hide his body at the marker
>now follow this marker
>now talk to this guy with the marker above his head
>QUEST COMPLETE
I find it hard to even pay attention to other things as following the markers slowly shuts off my brain
>>
>>2596862
>the same webm that's been posted 5000000 times
Enjoy your slidey source engine movement and LE FUNNY ragdolls you child
>>
>>2596233
All the faggot boomers complaining about quest markers are the same people who had subscriptions to Expert Gamer and bought strategy guides for every game they owned.
>>
>>2596233
>>2596632
What he said.
>>
File: soles7.webm (2.75 MB, 1280x720)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
>>2596875
lol
>>>/trash/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>2596696
DBtS controls were absolute cunt though, I mean the idea of it was smart and original but the execution was pure agony.
>>
>>2596261
Holy shit I hope this is a well thought bait, if not you might be the stupidest person on earth.
>>
>>2596261
>just don't read the guide, just close the tab bro
>>
>>2596871
I actually like that the best, still lets you wonder and maybe take some different routes. Might be cool if you only got markers for some quests and not others. So for example the king wants you to go murder some bandits in this a fort he knows about, he'll mark it and you get a dot on your map. If someone tells you about lost ruins that may be in some region then its up to you to find them, maybe directions in a book a sage tells you about.
>>
>>2596896
Jokes on you, my even more boomer parents would never subscribe to anything because they thought someone would steal their identity sending a check in the mail or giving an established company your credit card number.
>>
>>2596951
Eh I have to agree with him to a certain degree. I've never played ER but algorithms have shoved enough IGN videos about "15 weapons you NEED in Elden Ring," or some Let Me Solo Her faggotry that we could probably count on one hand the amount of people who didn't look shit up.
>>
>>2597000
I haven't looked shit up but I had to make a conscious effort to ignore all ER bullshit online and only because I feel I kind of spoiled 2 and 3 by looking stuff up.
>>
>>2597010
I guess saying most look stuff up is being disingenuous, but goddamn between the marketing/journalism/friends memes I feel like I've seen everything this game has to offer without ever touching it.
>>
>>2596896
Bitch please, we had GameFAQs back then. Only consoletards payed for guides.
>>
>>2597057
>payed
Fuck, paid. Dementia's coming for me.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2596233
>quest markers are ba-
>>
>>2597285
I don't see the problem here
>>
>>2596617
So people at that time playing Morrowind weren't hardcore RPG fans and were in fact shitters? People who shit on quest markers are really a very vocal minority?
>>
>>2597386
Morrowind was an Xbox game, anon, and Xbox players were confused on encountering something that didn't hold their hand the entire way. Quest markers are for tards who couldn't even figure out a console game, but it's only a symptom of a larger problem, TES games are being made for dummies and they've aimed that way since Morrowind.
>>
>>2597062
Oh great, you'll finally become a Codex poster.
>>
>>2597285
Int checked and filtered.
>>
>>2597386
For all the whining how oblibion was dumbed down and constant morrofag circlejerking it's because of them and their inability to find shit in their precious game (pic related, Caius Cosades) that bethesda implemented quest compass for oblivion. Cause comes before effect.
>>
>>2597579
>retards watch slow, cerebral movie
>"wtf its too confusing, open ended/unsatisfying, and boring"
>sequel is dumbed down to shit
>"AHA! So it was the FANS of the original movie who are to blame for the sequel they claim to hate!"
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>2597618
Which one is the cerebral movie? Morrowalk or buggerfall?
Also nice movie anal, you'll get far on this board.
>>
>>2597632
ESL please go and stay go.
>>
>>2597634
>game 1's fans can't find shit and are obviously too dumb for it
>game 2 is dumbed down
>my oh my, what could be the reason for the dumbing down, hmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>2597657
this is the most retarded "gotcha" I've seen in a while
>>
>>2597677
I accept your concession, asspained morrowindfaggot.
>>
>>2597683
>autismo can't comprehend that there's more than one other person in the world
Time to take your medication, friend.
>>
>>2597685
I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a point one day.
>>
>>2596603
He's still in it.
>>
>>2597683
>morrowind fans actually don't like morrowind and all of them got lost following directions and complained on the internet so they dumbed down oblivion which morrowind fans didn't like cause they secretly did like morrowind's directions
You conceded when you actually thought this made any fucking sense.
>>
>>2597711
Many people who played morrowalk couldn't find shit without guides and thus the quest compass was born. Circlejerking over mw now is done for gamer cred, by the same people who got lost in Balmora or couldn't figure out the stamina system.
>>
>>2597688
You know, if you actually think about what you're reading instead of compulsively replying I'm sure even a buzzword-spewing ADHD-ridden faggot like you will be able to understand, they're simple posts.
>>
>>2597718
>buzzword-spewing ADHD-ridden faggo
Ironic.
>>
>>2597720
>ESL doesn't know the meaning of words
Now that's ironic.
>>
>>2597722
You're repeating yourself. I'm sorry your holy cow isn't as great as you thought it is and that your brethren are so dumb it led to the magical quest compass.
But don't lose hope, there are many delusional faggot fanbases around, like solesfags, maybe try hanging out with them to ease your pain.
>>
>>2597579
>(pic related, Caius Cosades)
Schizoanon....
>>
>>2597732
>>(pic related
>>2597285
Blind fuck.
>>
>>2597737
Unironically, lurk more before posting.
>>
>>2597741
Ironically kill yourself slowly and painfully. Laterally.
>>
>>2597744
Better luck next time, ESL newfriend!
>>
>>2597747
Not one original thought in your head, huh? Par the course for morrofags.
>>
>>2597756
If you don't want to be mocked as an ESL why don't you just learn how to post properly? This is a pretty informal website, it shouldn't take you that long.
>>
>>2596575
>When someone says it's to the West they MEAN it's TO THE WEST
Oh, like real life?
>>
>>2596765
Oh, you mean those five quests where someone "literally" "marks" your "map"? I don't think you understand the point of the thread.
>>
More games should have it where you can't see yourself on the map either. Landmarks and bodies of water become so much more useful. I remember traveling around in Wurm Online was great for this.
>>
>>2596242
Kingdom Come: Deliverance does a good job as far as modern rpgs go. Most quests that give you directions give you fairly explicit ones referencing landmarks, and even with HUD markers enabled if an npc gives you vague directions to an area (such as when they're not sure themselves) the game won't give you a pinpoint marker, it'll just indicate an area you have to then search. Even finding NPCs is done well without markers, you either get directions or if they're more general like finding a town mayor or burgher it's pretty easy to work out who or where they are from context.
>>
>>2597756
kys urself medially
>>
>>2597717
Jesus Christ he was right, you need to take your meds. Either that or stop posting this retarded strawman.
>>
>>2597717
>Circlejerking over mw now is done for gamer cred
Maybe that's why YOU like games but I've played it since the pre GOTY release on Xbox and never had an issue.
>>
>>2598367
>Xbox
You didn't beat the game.
>>
>>2598572
K
>>
File: imagio.png (934 KB, 1280x875)
934 KB
934 KB PNG
>>2599719
Happu to aagree with you
>>
>>2597285
>get told to find a guy to tell you about the cults
>told to go to fighter's guild
>talk to the guy, after some looking around
>get told to go to nearest dwemer ruins and find a cube for him
>go to ruins and explore
>find cube
>bring it back

The first dwemer ruins, hell, most of them are rather small and take almost no time to explore. If you see a fucking cube just sitting there, you're doing to pick it up. You can also ask him where to go to find the ruins and he'll tell you. I do hate how vague they are when they just say "Go this direction" because I go that direction and don't see it because literally everything blends in together because the game looks like fucking shit.
>>
>>2596233
Outward comes to mind.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.