[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: fallout 2 g11.jpg (111 KB, 1080x1080)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Thread for any discussion of the Isometric Fallout games, which don't get nearly enough love. Talk about
>Fallout 1
>Fallout 2
>Fallout Tactics/BoS
>Fonline 2/2238/Reloaded/3

Question to get things going: What was your favorite part about the OG Fallout games that didn't really make it to the later games? For me it was the inclusion of real guns and not the pseudo-firearms of Fallout 3/NV and the made up bullshit of 4 (Fuck 4's retarded assault rifle)
>>
the combat in classic fallout was incredibly satisfying. in modern fallout, after the first few times shooting someone in the head gets old. in classic it really never does, and it feels much cleaner and precise, especially with the .223
>>
the isometric view
>>
>>25800
I enjoyed how the map worked. You got a great sense of time and scale with it.
>>
>>26053

Classic just needed more cover and prone/crouched, and it'd be 10/10.

Basically the improvements JA2 made with the engine.
>>
>>25800
>BoS
Bruh
>>
>literally just /vg/
>>
>>28485
tactics ain't bad
>>
>>28383
JA2?
>>
>>25800
fallout 4 was better
>>
>>25800
>Question to get things going: What was your favorite part about the OG Fallout games that didn't really make it to the later games?
The variants to some mutants, no, i'm not talking about Glowing Deathclaws, i'm talking about those variants that were meaningful to the story, such as the intelligent deathclaws or Frank Horrigan
>>
>>29246

>>
>>29303
I hope you're joking
>>
>>25800
>What was your favorite part about the OG Fallout games that didn't really make it to the later games?
The more grim, meditative tone on human nature and violence. New Fallouts, especially the Bethesda-made ones, are largely slapstick, nonsense settings where everything has to revolve around some 50s-inspired aesthetic with Pipboys everywhere.
>>
>>29603
???
>>
>>29603
>replying to the laziest bait
>>
I'm playing through Fallout 2 and HOLY FUCK why won't this chink in SF put his gatling laser in stock? I know he has it, you can make him change his inventory by driving around the area near town, but he won't fucking spawn it.
>>
>>29983
>The more grim, meditative tone on human nature and violence.
I would argue that's only really FO1. Even 2 really plays up just how much you're the Chosen One to the point that you can have your character jump at the chance to save people.
>>
If Fallout 1 has any flaws, it's that it's way too fucking short.
>>
>>30390
it doesn't really, you get made fun of if you say it to people
>>
>>25800
When does the first game actually start getting interesting?
>>
File: 1564958672554.jpg (257 KB, 1200x680)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
upon replaying fallout 2 recently i just wanted to say that it's massively overrated and the first game and new vegas do everything it did but better
>>
>>30931
based
>>
Nora says Synth Rights! Synth Lives Matter!
>>
>>30931
THIS.
Fallout 1 is the true best Fallout
>>
File: fonline.png (521 KB, 1020x227)
521 KB
521 KB PNG
>>25800
If you ever want to scratch the Isometric Fallout itch with something new, there's multiple MMO projects based on Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. I don't know how they are now, but Fonline 2238 and Reloaded were a lot of fun in their prime, and I hear there's an Fonline 3 now too.

I remember Reloaded being a ton of fun because of vehicles and the fact that if you died you lost whatever shit you had on you, so there was a ton of risk involved and encountering other players outside of safe areas was always super tense
>>
literally WHO chose the railroad ending
>>
File: Spoiler Image (15 KB, 282x325)
15 KB
15 KB GIF
>If you can't tell me why this isn't the coolest character in the franchise, you have to help that settlement over there for the rest of your life.
>>
>>31984
is that a piece of shit
>>
>>32073
If you saw him without the cloak, he'd sure make you drop a piece of shit.
>>
>>31984
>dude talking deathclaws lmao
>>
>>31984
why does he wear the cloak?
>>
>>32262
>Talking smoothskins.
Goris is a hero.
>>
>>32502
goris is boring, he has no interesting backstory or inner conflict just
>dude enclave bad
>>
>>30931
Maybe but I still think 2 was one of the best RPGs of its time.
>>
>Sulik leaves the party after you save his sister
I mean lorewise that makes sense, but I had him carrying guns for me to sell
>>
File: black-bar-png-15.png (2 KB, 2400x1350)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
is there anyway to up the resolution of the UI textures and remove blackbars or preferably just something that fixes everything like OpenMW for morrowind? GOG version here
>>
>>32988
I honestly don't even remember what resolution i have the game running in because 1080p makes everything way too fucking small. Give me a second I'll check
>>
>>33070
Ok I checked, I run the game in 1280x960 in a 1080 monitor. That zooms it out but not to a crazy degree and still keeps the UI a reasonable size.
>>
File: 191.jpg (68 KB, 831x1024)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>tfw 10 luck/perception+finesse+bonus critical chance+ plasma rifle and 100% energy weapons skill
Watching everything turn into a pile of goo is satisfying
>>
>>31984
Because his cloak animation adds 3 hours to each fight
>>
>>33235
burst weapons are better in that regard because it means every hit is a crit and ignores armor
>>
>>33380
I used a minigun for my last playthrough and wanted to see how energy weapons were
>>
File: wDKbvz8.png (11 KB, 501x192)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Behold, the best weapon in any Fallout game.
>>
>>32988
yeah, look up Fallout Fixt for F1 and Unofficial F2 patch for well F2. They should come with high-res mods to play in 1080p
>>
File: latest[1].png (3 KB, 41x63)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>33484
>Nothin' personell Chosen On-
>10 Luck, Finesse, Better Criticals kill it in one shot anyways
Forever and always my favorite energy weapon ever
>>
>>33296
Okay, that's fair.
>>
>>33671
I still don't understand why they brought back floaters in fucking fallout 76
>>
File: Fo_Mr_Handy_Render.png (12 KB, 186x218)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>33671
Man whatever happened to floaters in the later fallout games. Its like a good chunk of cool ideas from old fallout will never be seen again.
>>
>>33748
The robots in general were pretty cool
>>
>go to the abbey
>they tell me there's something dangerous in the cave connected to the basement
>it's a deathclaw an a tough small deathclaw
>"eh me and Vic should be fine, I did the Navarro run so my AC should be enough to not constantl take damage"
>he knocks me down constantly for crit damage
>game over'd twice before sheer luck let me succeed
I didn't expect that, especially since the head monk thought it was just a big scorpion

>>33484
Best part is it's free after getting the veribird plans
poor Matt ;_;
>>
File: MAROBTAA_se.gif (413 KB, 359x450)
413 KB
413 KB GIF
>>
File: Fo2_sentry_bot.png (20 KB, 188x219)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>33799
For me its the security bots.
>>
Been doing low INT/max STR unarmed runs lately. Had a blast in FO1, more or less steamrolled everything after a certain point, but started to lose interest toward the end because it was just so easy. FO2 is something else entirely. For years I heard about how funny a low INT run was in 2 and how all the dialogue changed, but the fun pretty much stopped as soon as I left Arroyo. Fucking EVERYONE just refuses to talk to you and it breaks like half of the game's content. Where's the fun in this? I've been clearing out entire towns for scraps of exp just so I can survive the tougher areas and it just feels like a grind.
>>
File: Maroboaa_se.gif (277 KB, 360x448)
277 KB
277 KB GIF
>>
>>25800
Fallout 1/2 stick in my mind in their own little oasis. I played the games as a lonely weird child and something about the desolation of the game's environment and setting and the idea that a world like our own was essentially created, destroyed, and then made irrelevant all at once before you start stuck with me. Really got me into history and how societies rise and fall. Legendary aesthetic, too bad Bethesda ended up making all the money off of it while also butchering it at the same time.
>>
>>33909
I'm just glad that people for the most part see through their bullshit now.
>>
>>33748
Here's your floaters bro.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Floater_(Wastelanders)
>>
>>33982
Wow, talk about a butcher. At least I could see the relation between the centaurs of Fallout 1/2 and Fallout 3.
>>
File: Fallout Sonora.jpg (115 KB, 607x900)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
TRANSLATION WHEN?
>>
>>34047
They look like they came from Plants vs. Zombies, good lord
>>
>>34050
Never ever
>>
New Vegas was close to Van Buren, but heavily watered down
I prefer to read Van Buren docs than to play any 3d fallout
>>
>>33982
Bahahah wtf

Be honest with me vrpg, is Fallout 76 actually improving, or is that just what Bethesda is paying people to say now.
>>
File: Fo2_Matthew_v_Horrigan.png (100 KB, 445x325)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
The best part of this scene is right after Frank says "ok who feels like lunch" and one of the soldiers with him is like "shit yeah I'm down" as though he didn't just see someone get punched in half
>>
File: Alien_Controller.png (194 KB, 480x540)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>34086
>Here's your floater bro
>>
>>34126
I don't know, I'm not paying money for a multiplayer Bethesda Fallout without any mods to mask the shit
>>
>>33982
Shoulda based them off one of the Fallout 3 concepts.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Floater_(Fallout_3)#Lamprey_floater
>>
>>34144
People make fun of Bethesda for making the Enclave "cartoony black villains" with no depth in 3, but they always were basically like that desu
>>
>>34126
It's obviously a more complete experience than it was when it launched.
My hot take is that the state of the game now is what it should've been on day one.
If it was in this condition at that point, I would've been into it. But whatever. They're dead to me.
>>
>>34206
At least they were intimidating in 2.
Compare the final encounter with Frank to the final encounter with Colonel Autumn
>>
>>34126
they're making it grindier and adding more paid features
>>
>>34206
They had depth before, but the soldiers also clearly treated it just as a job rather than anything ideological.
>>
>>31984
He is. I just wish that the intelligent deathclaws had prospered and become a faction of their own in the later games.
>>
>>34287
>people like to mock how you can just make the Master kill himself so easily and compare it to telling Lanius to go away
>you literally can't talk your way out of the Frank Horrigan fight and he's determined to cave your face in
>everyone hates that fact
Can't please some people.
>>
>>34206
They're not as bad as all that. The grunts in 2 are basically unmotivated conscripts and Autumn wasn't exactly evil, he was just extremely ruthless.
>>
>>34408
>The grunts in 2 are basically unmotivated conscripts
I love how basically everyone at Navarro agrees that the sergeant has a stick up his ass and they ignore him whenever he isn't in earshot.
>>
>>34376
Pretty much, Its not like there isn't an option for speech characters though.
>>
>>34376
Telling him to kill himself wasn't that easy, you had to have a very high Speech and have knowledge of the mutant autopsy
>>
Do you guys like what they did with Harold in 3?
>>
>>34376
Maybe people are different and like different things?
>>
>>34535
For the most part no. Why the fuck did he travel to D.C.?
>>
>>34375
I really wonder if they're going to visit this idea, years down the line.
Or is it going to be that your pet chicken left the Vault, and you have to find them.
But it turned out that the chicken was caught by the Enclave, and they made tendies.
>>
File: i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg (151 KB, 800x401)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>34376
I would argue the different between the Horrigan fight and say any of the boss fights in the original versions of DEHR is that you always have to have SOME combat proficiency in Fallout 2 just to get to the end while in Human Revolution you can beat the game without a single hostile NPC ever being aware of your presence, then they throw at you this tank of a man who is going to fuck you up in 5 seconds.
>>
>>34535
>teleporting across the continent for no reason other than blatant nostalgia bait
no
>>
>>34574
because hes immortal and has fuck all to do, why else?
>>
>>34574
That said, what's your take on Moriarty being from Europe?
I've never gotten how the fuck that happens. They sale over here?

>>34635
>Having bottlecaps on the East coast.
>D.C. being in the state that it's in.
>Super mutants existing at all.
They explain these things, but it's always a reach.
>>
>>34705
>I've never gotten how the fuck that happens. They sale over here?
The same reason there are people with thick European accents all over 4.
>>
>>34574
>>34635
Didn't he say in game that he just wanted to explore a bit? To be fair he lived on the west coast for like 200 years. His inclusion in 3 is definitely pandering but I don't think the character's motivation is that unreasonable.
>>
>>34728
(I misspelled sale, but talking about Moriarty, I'll pretend it was a pun.)

>>34648
That's a fair point. It's all over and done with anyway.
We'll just have to live with it and appreciate some of the new lore.
>>
>>34535
I mean I always kinda assumed that Herbert/Bob would keep growing and eventually overtake Harold, I just never thought we'd see him again.

>>34705
>Having bottlecaps on the East coast.
Maryland has 3 major Coca-Cola bottling plants irl so I could buy that, what's crazy is they also decided to use it as currency like the west did.
>>
>>34705
>That said, what's your take on Moriarty being from Europe?
For the most part it doesn't make sense to me. The nation in the Fallout universe are a hell of a lot more patriotic that I don't see them being kind to foreigners. But I could still see it happen just very slim.
>>
>>34828
>what's crazy is they also decided to use it as currency like the west did.
They are specifically called "Hub Bucks" in 1 and seeing them in Massachusetts used for the same purpose is laughable
>>
File: 2014-07-09_00006.jpg (501 KB, 1920x1080)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
If nothing else Harold's head was one of the best translations from the old graphics to a modern 3D model
>inb4 talking heads were scanned 3D clay models to begin with
I know but they didn't look like it in-game
>>
>>34728
there are?
>>
>>34828
That's what I mean. I'm pretty sure the currency was something isolated to a city California?

>>34840
It's less him being tolerated as a foreigner, and more...
He managed to sail a boat to the United States.
If anything, it makes me wonder what's in the ocean.
What are the radsharks, giant squids, radwhales, etc. all doing?
You'd think if the land was a nightmare, the ocean would be living Hell.
>>
>>34921
>It's less him being tolerated as a foreigner, and more...
>He managed to sail a boat to the United States.
>If anything, it makes me wonder what's in the ocean.
>What are the radsharks, giant squids, radwhales, etc. all doing?
>You'd think if the land was a nightmare, the ocean would be living Hell.
That's a good point, though I don't think oceans are the targets of nukes.
>>
>>33484
>Not the Bozar
HUH??????
>>
>>35020
you saw how much of a pain it was to get a ship working in 2, how the fuck did he do it?
>>
>>34144
The Horrigan scenes were so good.
>>
File: FO02_NPC_Lynette_B.png (573 KB, 803x414)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
Did anyone else notice she is effectively the same character as president Richardson in ideology, motivations, and the type of government they run? Was that intentional, to have Vault City be a forshadowing to Enclave society?
>>
>>35118
I believe so yes. Fuck that bitch btw.
>>
get
>>
>>35213
what in OBLIVION is THAT
>>
>>35257
What nu-fallout has devolved into
>>
>>35020
They don't have to be the targets of nukes.
The oceans were contaminated with radioactive ash.
If we saw land mutations, we'd see ocean mutations.
By the time the ocean isn't radioactive, the animals would still be mutated.
That's my two cents on that whole thing.

>>35118
Damn, she looks like one of the pre-made characters from The Division.
>>
>>34287
>>34313
>>34408
This, if anything what makes the Enclave in 2 and New Vegas different from in 3 was that much like the actual US military, you get all kinds of people. There's the completely ideologically committed soldiers, the ones who joined because it lets them experience things you never could in civilian life, the ones who think it's just their civic duty, and finally the dudes who are just there because it's a steady paycheck you don't get fired from.
>>
>>35400
Lynette arguably has one of the worst Talking Head models in 2.
>>
>>34920
He's referring to the large number of Irish accents, that has more to do with Boston itself being home to a lot of very tightly knit Irish communities. To be fair critiquing accents in the universe is peak nitpicking, if you wanted to get technical about it no one should really talk or sound like they do today.
>>
>>35456
It has to be on purpose.
>>
>>25800
is there a definitive guide to playing these games? I got annoyed that my saves got corrupted due to saving in combat ages ago without realizing it. What other unstable shit should I avoid?
>>
>>35464
characters should not talk like they just got off of a flight from Dublin or Moscow
>>
>>35493
Straight Edgy has been doing guides on How To Fallout 1 and 2, but if you mean in terms of how to set up your game just play 1 with Fallout Fixt and 2 with the Restoration Patch and I'd say make a new save at each town.
>>
>>35493
Download patches like the ones i mentioned. >>33516
Other than that idk, we definitely should have a Classic Fallout image guide similar to the Stalker one.
>>
>>35559
Strat Edgy, I meant
>>
>>35520
They shouldn't sound like every day Bostonian Americans either, in Boston specifically you'd likely see a synthesis of Irish and other local European accents/languages being mixed in with colloquial English and that being jumbled around for a few decades with tribal lingo and gaps in education/literacy.
>>
File: 1577648452955.jpg (67 KB, 630x754)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
You cunts left me high and dry on the board

Level with me lads, is it better to drop charisma and minmax a death machine or does the promotion boost from having it and ensuing recruits/earlier gear make up for the lost stats?
>>
I miss the Enclave being a bunch of Army guys there for various different reasons rather than a group of indoctrinated Nazis. FO2 Enclave had a ton of soul

https://youtu.be/Hf0M1E0yxAU
>>
>>36246
>RPG
to be honeat I haven't ever played tactics so I can't help you there. Maybe another anon has the insight you need.
>>
>>36246
I don't think anyone's ever played Fallout Tactics. I never see any discussion of it anywhere. I've seen more discussion of BOS for fuck's sake.
>>
>>36505
>that's not your fault, I have a brother just like you
Man that got me
>>
>>29246

Jagged Alliance 2

Uses the same engine
>>
>>36601
>I've seen more discussion of BOS for fuck's sake.
I think that's solely been me and it's usually just to post this video to show everything fundamentally wrong with the game in 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlgeKjKFJkE
>>
>>36246
i've heard that minmaxing a slayer mc is a good idea, but you can use the vehicle glitch to increase your skills if things get too bad
>>
>>36713
Like where the fuck do you ever see a humanizing line like that from an enemy in any Bethesda Fallout? It never happens anymore
>>
Anyone played Fallout Online 3?
>>
>>36762
I'll check out the video in a bit but I'll say that, despite every bad thing I've ever heard about BOS, I'd still really like to try it for myself. I love Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath so getting that with a pseudo-Fallout theme sounds kind of cool. Really don't understand how they fucked up the aesthetics and classic designs so much though.
>>
>>36857
>I'd still really like to try it for myself.
I think the video will convince you otherwise, decided not to listen and I suffered for it.
>>
>>36843
They made a third one?
>>
>>36895
Yeah.
>>
>>33982
wtf, fucking soulless
>>
>>36843
Wasn't Online NV shut down?

>>36895
He means playing FO3 in multiplayer through a mod like Skyrim/
>>
File: 1582509975853.gif (1.81 MB, 640x480)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
>>36569
>>36601
>>36770
I won't do a slayer run for now because one of the things I remember Tactics has going for it is a massive array of weapons, was leaning towards a min maxed big gun cunt. Also recall a special encounter that unlocks an MC tier melee lad (called riddick, the map is pitch black find the exit interspersed with deathclaws), you get through that and you've got your build essentially
>>
>>36932
>>36895
https://www.moddb.com/mods/fonline3
>>
>>37088
Oh you mean something else entirely, I thought you meant people goofing around in multiplayer FO3.
>>
File: BoS power armor.png (316 KB, 352x558)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>36762
>this is what a full set of power armor looks like
That is pretty fucking atrocious
>>
>>37419
Its so generic.
>>
>>37681
It looks like you're just wearing random pieces of metal slapped together rather than actual armor
>>
>>30931
>upon replaying fallout new vegas recently i just wanted to say that it's massively overrated and the first game and the second one do everything it did but better
Fixed.
>>
>>25800
I really love the way the old 3D renders look. Something about them is just so aesthetically pleasing.

I wish more games would try to go for that style.
>>
>>25800
Did the G11 even work?
>>
>>38508
Irl? The gun worked but it was developed for the West German armed forces, which meant the project fell through when Germany reunified in 1990.
>>
What is the state of the Soviet Union in the world of Fallout?
>>
>>38879
nuked, like everything else, or you can write up your super-special fan-fic about it since it literally doesn't matter
>>
>>38879
They lost any real power and influence during china's rise, causing them to return to normal diplomacy with the US.
>>
>>38879
We got along with them well enough after a point that the soviet consulate in LA was selected as a first generation vault dweller for Vault 13
>>
>>25800
>What was your favorite part about the OG Fallout games that didn't really make it to the later games?
It's hard to pin, but maybe just something as simple as scale. The world genuinely feels large and set pieces like the glow help contextualize.
>>
>>38879
atom rpg
>>
>>39110
Honestly that's something the new games could never do unless world maps were brought back.
>>
>>36246
Hi again, it's the one fallout tactics player on the board.
Charisma isn't very useful in FoT iirc. The vast majority of your time will be spent shooting, BUT you will spend a lot of your time gambling with the quartermasters so it could be used there if you really wanted to. As for recruiting, I hate to say this but it's best to just stick with the quickest squad you can get save for a couple of specialist exceptions. You're better off just leveling the dudes you already have (make sure you keep Stitch around for sure) and then getting Tag! for useful stuff later.

I see you wanted to do big guns. That's totally viable but you'll want 9 STR to hold an M60, because the later opponents are really fucking tough and the little M249s won't work against them.
>>
>>39231
Sure, but that's why 1 and 2 have their own cool moments I remember. The highwayman late into my first playthrough of 2 really sticks out in my mind because it's a perfect progression.
>>
>>39244
Sorry, I said M60 but meant M2.
>>
File: 1507423056691.jpg (197 KB, 1000x1400)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>39244
>That's totally viable but you'll want 9 STR to hold an M60
Does power armour give STR buffs in this, if they do are they late game only?
>>
>>36246
Tactics has a terrible balance, some serious problems with SPECIAL implementation in general, .
I personally don't consider it a very good squad tactics game, it doesn't even hold a candle to some of the classics like JA/Xcom/Silent storm, but if you feel like playing it...

You just make a full on combat (non retarded) character and pick small guns, big guns, energy weapons.
The most important advice I can give you is - prepare for difficulty spikes.
The game is structured really poorly, it doesn't ramp up gradually instead an enemy set gets swapped and you need to quickly adapt to it. (or ideally already be adapted to it because you've read an advice of somebody who had to suffer through this shit)
30% into the game small guns become useless and you have to swap to big guns.
Also congrats, your low intellect specialized characters are now complete garbage and will never be good, say goodbye to them unless you feel like playing on hard mode.
80% into the game big guns become useless and you have to swap to energy weapons.
Also congrats, your low intellect specialized characters are now complete garbage and will never be good.

Gauss riffle/Gauss MG come so late that small guns/big guns characters are just clinking dudes for fuck all damage for most of the game. And the ammo for them is fairly limited, so at best you can bring 1-2 SG/BG characters to the party if you really like them.
>>
>>39825
glad i never bothered to play that piece of shit. it's JA2 1.13 and XCOM 2 for me.
>>
>>39684
Power armor comes pretty damn late. You'll probably be fine with 7 STR until you can get an M2, though. The majority of your time will be spent in metal armor or sidegrades of it until you can get your first set of power armor. Your gun progression will probably look something like: starter SMG/pistol/shotgun to save on ammo -> AK47s for errybody (except possibly Farsight depending on how much you like her hunting rifle) -> your first set of big guns.
You'll be spending a lot of time killing raiders with AKs and metal armor. I'll warn you right now: you will want at least a few of your dudes capable of using energy weapons right around when you've fought super mutants a few times. You WILL need them later or you'll get irreversibly filtered. This happened to me on my first save.
>>
>>40036
>you will want at least a few of your dudes capable of using energy weapons right around when you've fought super mutants a few times. You WILL need them later or you'll get irreversibly filtered. This happened to me on my first save.
time to test surprise boxes
the robots ruined my save too
>>
>>39905
Tactics is really stupid if you come to it after any good game in the genre. There's no destructability, the leveling system is just super lazy port of SPECIAL that makes no sense, there's no sound.
Perception lets you detect enemies through the walls and they can theoretically detect you too (though i dont think i've seen AI act on it, but it's been years since i last gave it a shot) but it's a world of deaf people.
So instead AI relies on pretty heavy scripting or just visual confirmation. Which leads to
Scenarios like - you enter into a camp of sleeping bandits. You grenade them, shotgun them, have an orgy on them, none of them can hear you. But if you walk just 5 meters higher the alarm script activates and they all wake up instantly.
Comparing it to JA2 stealth is just ridiculous.

Alternatively - you've killed everyone on the map, except that one guy. He's sittin in a corner, he can't hear you, you can't really detect him. Enjoy spending next 5 minutes checking every building searching for your mission completion trigger.

>>40036
>You WILL need them later or you'll get irreversibly filtered. This happened to me on my first save.
I've flat out cheated my first playthough of this disaster because I've hit the wall around the robot adventures.
Just fucking save edited myself unlimited gauss ammo and gauss MGs.
>>
File: DxtoUOdU8AAFOod.jpg (149 KB, 1200x1050)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
You DO drink nothing but Bawls Guarana on your wasteland adventures, right /fog/?
>>
File: Goris.jpg (19 KB, 474x474)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Who /Goris/ here?
>tfw you will never have a talking deathclaw in your party
>>
>>40730
He's part of my /killeveryplaythrough/ club along with Veronica.
>>
>>40730
I always ran with Goris and Marcus for the merry band of misfits. K-9 was cool too, never figured out the robot quest in the military base though. Cut content maybe?
>>
I want my Fallout MOO where is it?
>>
File: FoModel_Brahmin.png (3 KB, 52x55)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>41000
Here
>>
File: B5GmC.png (50 KB, 493x364)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>41000
Checked
>>
best way to play fallout 2 is to disable the map screen fps cap, go to sf and steal a bunch of shit
>>
File: 1588496703357.png (32 KB, 657x527)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>40730
>tfw you get into combat and he throws the cloak off
I thought we were friends man, you could have told me you specc'd melee
>>
File: 1574068169988.png (202 KB, 368x368)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>41538
>Only weapon is a bozar and Goris is in melee with the target
>>
>>40730
absolute lad
>>
>>34126
at this rate fallout 76, in its current state, is miles better than 4 at being a rpg
>>
>>42773
so it’s still not a good RPG.
>>
File: 1568572992344.png (63 KB, 600x600)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>41656
>sulik whiffs the super sledge
>cassidy comes in with the jackhammer
>>
Reminder that Skynet is the best companion
>>
I'm playing 1 currently, after saving the vault, I should revisit Necropolis to move forwards with the story right? I've only been doing caravan jobs to save money and get better armor, that and some exploring.
>tfw you find a Nuka-Cola truck
>>
>>43271
>LK 10 energy weapons build
>find alien ship and nuka cola truck in the early game
>>
>>43271
Yeah Necropolis is where you want to head next. Make sure to get there in a timely fashion.
>>
>>43479
nice, I want to make a LCK 10 build when I replay it
>>43526
uh yeah, about that... I've been travelling for months now RIP ghouls
>>
>>43236
Only if you meet the stat/skill check though
Been ages but I'm pretty sure you can end up with a doggo brain in that coffin, and it's about as effective as you'd imagine a dog to be, if it simultaneously controlled multiple weapon systems and autonomous tank treads
>>
>>43271
Caravans are a time sink, watch out for that
>>
>>31519
i never tried those because I heard it was just massive Russian zergs everywhere that worked together and prevented anyone not in their clique from progressing at all

sounded like the game was unplayable because of the open world pvp nature of the game
>>
>>43723
you can make a fair bit of caps from them, the real money isn’t from the payment but from selling the weapons on the dead raiders
>>
File: Tired Pepe eyes.jpg (43 KB, 641x491)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>25800
Everything. Literally everything. I'm so fucking tired of these 3D "fallout" turds. I just want one proper return to the real shit or atleast a spiritual successor that perfectly captures the theme and gameplay. Kenshi was the closest thing that got close to capturing the theme. It's actually amazing how close it got.
>>
>10 luck+jinxed trait
>everyone breaking their arms and legs trying to fight me and dogmeat
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>43236
Nope.

Anyone with the right wep skill and end game weapons is better than companions that can't use end game weps. This is why Marcus with a Bozar is the best companion in the game (bozar's cone of fire is a straight line, so you seldom have to reload due to burst fire FF)

Maxed out Goris is a beast but the AI towards the endgame will just leave him constantly vulrenable to high end burst weapons which leads into a lot of reloading. I did a full combat-ending with charisma build and this is what my Harrigan+turrets fight looked like.
>>
>>44001
also yes that's a Marcus and Goris locked behind the gate because they wouldn't try to stop charging into the fray and getting shredded, cunts
>>
>>43871
Ruskies were a big portion of the playerbase but at least on Reloaded there was enough English speakers to make multiple gangs/alliances/whatever you want to call it
Also there used to be a cheese where if you set your mode to turn-based it was stupid easy to just run away from any player fight you couldn't handle
>>
>>44001
>he used control company’s help
Yikes....
>>
>>43977
>Kenshi
I want to like it so bad but there's literally nothing to do. I get you're supposed to 'make your own fun' but when that fun is just meaningless sidequests and fights it gets pretty boring pretty fast
>>
>>28558
>>literally just /vg/
You can't talk about any pre-4 Fallout game.
>>
>>44382
I was in /gsg/ once and it was autist central. I can only imagine the hell in /fog/ now that coomers join in
>>
The ending where you kill this faggot is the true canon ending
>>
>>44165
I didn't really have a choice. Harrigan with his turrets up on the hardest diff is probably only beatable with minmax, and I didn't do that (which is obvious from the fact I played charisma build)
>>
>>44188
Same here bro. I just don't fucking get it.
>>
>>44188
>listening to frogfags
FONV was fucking great and one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>45028
The trilogy of 1,2 and New Vegas is absolutely amazing
>>
>>33484
that doesn't look like the solar charged pistol
>>
>>45028
NV is fucking mediocre and I don't understand obsidrone circlejerking around it. It's neither a fun FPS nor a fun RPG. I LITERALLY couldn't finish NV because I was so fucking bored out of my mind playing it.
>>
>>34050
We are working on it
>>34090
We are so sorry
>>
>>45368
Well, I had fun with it.
>>
>>38988
...kinda like irl?
>>
>>45368
It’s only praised so much because Bethesda can’t make a good game and is the best thing these people have played because “muh dated gameplay/graphics” stops them from trying the good ones
If NV, 3, or 4 had started the series it would have gone nowhere
>>
>>45368
At least you were more creative than obsidiot, still a gay post
>>
>>45368
>Xdrone
are you lost?
>>>/v/
>>
>>45437
Yeah we’re heading towards nuclear war with China by 2077, can’t wait for irl fallout
>>
>>45474
I’ve played the originals and still consider New Vegas to be an excellent game
>>
>>45513
I doubt this country will even exist in 2077
>>
Anyone got that screenshot of a ghoul calling you a normie?
>>
>>45513
weird way to say 2021
>>
>>44165
It honestly felt thematically appropriate for a crew of random soldiers to be like "FUCK this, I'm not sticking around for a 20ft freak"
>>
>>45602
>>
>>45554
>>45604
Yes...but where is the fucking power armor? I mean fuck, the closest we have is something like the exo's from STALKER.
>>
>>45720
https://youtu.be/_35kuQ_Rab0
>>
>>33725
because the game itself was a big floater?
>>
File: powerarmor.jpg (47 KB, 545x700)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>45720
>>
The only way to enjoy Tactics is by doing an unarmed solo run
>>
>>45654
i cant believe he said normie
>>
>>28383
I thought I would enjoy Tactics because of the combat getting overhauled, but in the end I got so mad at the game in the first level that I dropped it.
>>
>>46081
it was a different time
>>
>>32691
Him being a Deathclaw created by the big bads who is living in Vault 13 makes him interesting on its own. I guess you didn't get spoonfed enough.
>>
>>46068
is it possible to learn such power?
>>
File: ThisDestroysV.jpg (239 KB, 720x1389)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
YOU THOUGHT YOUR FALLOUT THREADS WOULD BE SAFE HERE???
>>
>>46160
Tactics is a good game burdened by a loathsome UI.
>>
>>45474
>If NV, 3, or 4 had started the series it would have gone nowhere
That's exactly how I feel about 3D Fallout shit.
>>
>>47619
What's your point faggot.
>>
>>47875
he was testing if he could get any You's with the laziest bait possible
>>
>>47590
Anything is possible with the power of psycho
>>
Did anyone play Fallout Sonora? A mod from Russians.
>>
>>48268
has it been translated yet? i don't read cossack
>>
>>28978
Tactics is easily the most underrated Fallout game in existence.
>>
>>48565
I played a lot of Tactics and this is probably true. Not because Tactics is a hidden 9/10 gem or anything but because it is actually underrated. I'd say it was a solid 7/10 game but most people write it off either without having tried it or without having understood it. Maybe a 6/10, it does have some glaring flaws. Worth playing, though. Maybe I'll reinstall it and relive the glory days.
>>
>>48687
People write it off because they associate it with the Tactics: BoS abortion.
>>
>>48565
honestly, it's the only fallout game that really contends for the underrated spot
>>
>>43670
all you need is to not be a retard and use up a perk to tag science once you've gotten it up to 90 with books.

no skill point wasted and you've got 150% science, enough to pass every skill check
>>
>>48565
Concept is cool but it really gets tiring when you realize just gathering up shooty dudes and playing the game like Diablo is much faster and effective than actually playing it "tactical" as devs intended.
>>
I just finished 1 and am about to play 2 for the first time, any tips?
>>
>>50028
Save often. Random encounters can massacre you and your party easily
>>
File: 1448243349159.jpg (116 KB, 894x894)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>50062
>It's another "I spawn 3/4 of the map away from the exit while 17 highwaymen stand between it and my companions during the early game" episode
>>
>>50583
>You encounter: An Enclave patrol.
>>
>>50062
>>50583
>>50622
So the same general advice as in the case of 1? Alright, I should be good then, thanks fellas
>>
>>50062
I’ll never forget my first time encountering the exploding brahmin
>>
File: a17305717213914.jpg (33 KB, 360x540)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>25800
If you don't make a 16 year old max charisma int and agility character that has sex with everyone like a dirty little slut and becomes a pornstar I don't know what you're doing
>>
>>28978
The game fallout fans should never mention to outsiders is pretty fucking bad. BoS aka PoS.
>>
>>36739
>Uses the same engine
Nope. Both used their own bespoke engines.
>>
>>50622
>>
File: edit.jpg (34 KB, 416x370)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>53581
fixed
>>
>>29246
S U M M E R
>>
>>48427
I don't think so. I think people on MNA are working to translate it though like they did with Nevada. Regardless of what you think of NMA its cool that they're willing to translate russian Fallout stuff.
>>
I know most people hate the Fallout 1 combat the most. But for some reason it feels so oddly satisfying. When you shoot someone with a shotgun, even if you don't score a crit and didn't blow them to pieces, you STILL feel like you impacted them. New Fallout doesn't have that same feeling, not even New Vegas

>>26053
This.
>>
>>53972
>Regardless of what you think of NMA its cool that they're willing to translate russian Fallout stuff.
All of NMA's weirdness comes from a very particular type of love. The yin of intense fandom autism is as beautiful as its yang is horrifying.
>>
>>45377
>We
are you a russki helping translate? if so that's cool though I do have to ask what happened to the translation of Olympus 2207?
>>
>>26053
I don't think so, having the Enclave power armor in Fallout 2 and getting into a fight where theres a large amount of enemies (like the storage area of the ship for that one quest) makes the combat quite boring as you'd just get hit 50 times per turn, take no damage, nothing changing, only for you to take a few pot shots to take out 1-2 enemies.
>>
>>54887
Yeah its a fine balance. Fallouts combat is fun when your not missing 90% of the time trying to hit 20 floaters.
>>
>>54887
Fallout combat is chaotic in a sense that normal hits kinda bounce off your late game armor until you suddenly get crit and all crits decimate your damage reduction and you're hit for like 890 HP of damage

I ironmanned the classic Fallouts and honestly don't want to do that ever again
>>
>>55313
>I ironmanned the classic Fallouts
holy shit what a madlad. I'm guessing you ran from combat alot.
>>
>>55327
>I'm guessing you ran from combat alot.
As a bonus, I did not use drugs or Gifted.
Took a melee only character with these restrictions all the way to Master and deeply regretted the melee restriction because Master is precisely the kinda dude that hits you for 12-13 damage at a time, until suddenly he burst me down for 323 health, way more than I would have even if I bothered to grind levels (which I considered to be boring and also against the spirit of the challenge), so Master is absolutely not doable safely without pillar hiding. Another one of my Vault Dwellers got suckerpunched by a Power Fist mutant that I thought I can tank, but he killed me with a single crit.

If you took it into account that I *could* have done pacifist playthroughs by cheesing the final bosses of all games with Speech, I would have had four victory laps in FO1 and two in FO2, but another restriction I put up was taking on Master, Military Base and Frank Horrigan in a straight up fight, and I lost three Vault Dwellers to Super Mutants or Master after having done every other quest in the game. Ultimately, my FO1 winner was a Fast Shot Flamer / RL user turned Turbo Plasma Rifle specialist.

Fallout combat, if you take it to an extreme like that, relies on you not getting hit at all whatsoever. Don't trade damage if you can help it. You can play melee, but abuse corners to do that. Melee allows you to put a few points from PE and LK into EN. Lifegiver x2 is likely not optional in Fallout 2, it MIGHT save you from a Navarro turret burst.

In Enclave / Military Base or any other place where a lot of soldiers show up and swarm you long range and AoE is very helpful, I used Rocket Launcher to disperse crowds when the situation was too tight and didn't want to risk getting crit. Sometimes though I fucked up and when enemy has their turn, you basically are reduced to praying because your survival is entirely a coin toss.
>>
>>33484
>kill enemy
>have to loot every dropped item individually
Nah.
>>
>>55500
Sounds harsh, like a post-apocalyptic wasteland should. Think you'll ironman the other Fallouts? They'll probably be easier.
>>
No FO1.5?
>>
>>55549
I didn't grok enough of the Bethesda Fallouts to know their ins and outs and the only other game I have some Ironman experience in is the Baldur's Gate series, but I think I'll ultimately focus on crunching down all of the RPGs and tactical games left in my backlog rather than replaying the same games over and over again.
>>
>>
Kind of off topic but I just noticed somebody's making a TV show out of Fallout.

What do you think? I'm 100% guaranteed it'll be garbage that'll focus on BoS and east coast and nobody who ever wrote for this game besides Bethesda's writers are going to be involved.
>>
>>55973
It will probably be absolute shit. I'm surprised Fallout isn't dead again desu.
>>
>>55986
>I'm surprised Fallout isn't dead
But it is.
>>
>>
>>
Is the restoration project for FO2 worth it? I watched MATN play through it and a lot of the restored stuff just seemed really obtuse to figure out and very unfinished, especially the EPA place.
>>
>>25800
>nearly enough love

thats all falloutards ever jerk off about
>>
>>56243
>Is the restoration project for FO2 worth it? I watched MATN play through it and a lot of the restored stuff just seemed really obtuse to figure out and very unfinished, especially the EPA place.
I have the same thoughts about it; didn't bother with most special areas because they're just jank and you can tell why they were cut in the first place. It also adds the Kaga encounters which are more annoying than anything else.
>>
>>
>>36601
People always mention Tactics. Often whatever they want or don't want it to be canon, especially its BoS version
>>
>>56243
Most restoration mods like that are intended for replays, when you already know the game and want to change things up a bit. The jank isn't much of an issue then.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>31519
Underrail is pretty cool
>>
>>48427
I played it while it was still Russian.

This game is badass, just like Nevada and 1.5. It slots in seamlessly with the Fallout world and has some unique lore that's really cool. It's good to see that the Russian Fallout community is actually capable of making the games they want to play, meanwhile NMA and the Codex can't stop screeching about how much they hate Beth games.
>>
>>56916
Yeah I see what you mean, However Underrail did come out of Codex and NMA I think is doing a F2 remake of Van Buren.
>>
>>55691
everything is too small i wish there was 1080p mod which rescalled the map instead of zooming it out
>>
>>57144
There's a 2x scale option in widescreen patched Fallout games which is most copies have at this point. You could also be a CRT chad like me and play that way.
>>
>>57056
I'll give u underrail, but the F2 van buren remake (Fallout Yesterday) got shit on when it was first announced because NMA literally can't stop fucking up when it comes to van buren.

also the guy making it is a slav so my point stands partially
>>
>>30931
>>31299
F:NV is the best game. It blows away the first games in terms of story, characters, options, etc.
>>
File: cover.png (40 KB, 1177x662)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>57242
>>>reddit
>>
>31299

except its boring and soulless as fuck
>>
>>25800
Things I miss
>the aesthetic, which extends to the guns naturally, but also the UI and so forth
>the brutality of the combat
>the importance of equipment
>the value of loot
>the travel system with hubs instead of a seamless open world
>the soundtrack
>the sound design
Things I don't miss
>everything else
Turn-based combat looked and felt good, but if I were to strip the elements I mentioned above (sense of brutality, the neat sound and visual effects), it would be boring dog shit.
>>
>>57255
>old GOOD
>new BAD
>>
>>44710
My question is, how the fuck does he think that this isn't going to lead to the kids in the vault idolizing the player? He literally saved all of their lives, which, had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of his leadership (keep in mind he got like 2 people killed prior to sending you out) how is he going to explain what happened to you without showing the fact that he basically condemened someone who by all accounts should be incredibly popular among the vault to dying in the middle of a desert.
>>
>>47619
>the goty editions sold that much worse
huh, weird.
>>
>>57454
yeah and?
>>
>>57523
You don't get to call anyone a zoomer when your critical thinking is that of a 10-year old who thinks they were born in the wrong era.
>>
>>57242
>Quirky "bethesda-esque" setting
"No"
>>
>>57554
shut the fuck up zoomer
>>
>>57560
Not any more quirky than
>lol hubologists!
>lol kung fu scientists town!
>lol literal tribals!
>>
>>57611
Yeah, FO2 was a downgrade, good thing FO1 exists.
>>
>>57666
Too bad FO1 is much worse than New Vegas. Fallout 2 beats FO1 in content, but New Vegas beats both at content and writing.
>>
File: atlasanza.jpg (117 KB, 600x576)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>57745
>Too bad FO1 is much worse than New Vegas.
>>
>>34920
Anon doesn't know what 'european' means.
>>
>>57560
>Quirky "bethesda-esque"
a boomer and a retard
>>
>>57056
>>57237
Demo was released Monday.
>>
>>33880
You ever notice how everyone talking up the Fallout 2 retard runs posts a screenshot of the Torg dialogue? That's because that's the one and only point where it pays off.
>>
>>36246
No, charisma isn't worth it. The fast-tracked recruits only make a difference in the very early game, and even then the difference is slight. Only invest in charisma is you have an aversion to minmaxing.
>>
File: fallout-nevada.jpg (103 KB, 640x480)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
How is Fallout Nevada?
>>
>>58721
Hopefully translated properly
Last I tried it was technically english, and the dialogue actually came off to a professional standard in the starting areas, the further I went out though the more it deteriorated. Got to the point I had to come off it, npcs were spewing pure gibberish
>>
>>58721
>>58812
A new translation came out early this summer. I’m playing through it and a lot of the English and bugs have been fixed. Good game.
>>
File: 1505590849318.jpg (46 KB, 960x960)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>25800
is there a mod that balances the original game? there's no reason not to pick Speech, Small Guns, Doctor etc and every reason not to pick stuff like Outdoorsman
>>
>>58721
i tried playing Nevada several times but i always get overwhelmed by New Reno and drop the game
i should try again
>>
>>25800
I miss a few things:
>Blowing open doors with explosives
>Manually timed explosives
>Selective fire modes
>The highwayman
>>
>>57255
>wojack newfag can't even link properly
neck yourself
>>
>>60038
>Blowing open doors with explosives
I just came across the Brotherhood safehouse in New Vegas and it bothers the fuck out of me that my 9 STR 80 Melee character can't break open this flimsy wooden door with a Fire Axe.
>>
>>60094
I'm pretty sure it was engine limitations that held back stuff like that, I recall hearing that the devs wanted to add a ton of stuff like that but couldn't because gamebryo was dogshit and they didn't have the time
>>
File: 1569820258271.jpg (33 KB, 640x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>60038
>Manually timed explosives
Despite barely using it, that's still a personal favourite too. Especially fucking up the timing with low traps skill (and who levelled traps, let's be honest)
>>
Are there any other mods besides the Restoration Project to try out for FO2. Even whole game conversions and new areas are fine.
>>
>>60736
Fallout 1.5 and Nevada which are basically new games in their own right.
>>
Why are there no black people in vault city?
>>
>>61850
What about the nigger in chief?
>>
File: LNmKSUr.png (351 KB, 1280x689)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
>>61850
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61850
The leader of vault city is a black lady
>>
>>61933
>bb gun
based
>>
File: 1433980772974.gif (288 KB, 208x181)
288 KB
288 KB GIF
>>62048
>The eyes of the mutant glow for a moment, and then the light fades -- permanently.

That's a very understated way to describe the Lieutenant's death.
>>
>>62144
Did I miss the explanation for why this happens?
>>
>>62350
Looks cool
>>
>>62350
Same reason humans lose an arm and half their torso when critically hit with a low calibre pistol.
>>
Are there any good video LP's of FO1 & FO2? I
've completed the game before and want to see how another player experiences it.
>>
>>62430
Yeah, but that can be explained away. The Lieutenant's body fucking spergs out because of whatever the fuck gets blown off his scalp, implying that it kept his body together
>>
>>62479
Are you able to stomach a blind lp by a smooth voiced guy who goes through it slowly?
>>
>>58721
does the widescreen mod work for this?
>>
>>62503
Some design elements in super mutants (this death execution, Harry having to hold his face together with straps, etc.) seem to imply they're "unstable" or maybe not stop changing or whatever. This isn't mentioned in any of the dialogue or lore, though, so maybe it was something early in the design process that they later dropped.
>>
I can't think of a game that did a better job of balancing both diplomacy and combat, making them both viable without one being miles-ahead more important than the other.
>>
>>57745
I know this is bait but reminder the NV is literally ONLY good because it's a love letter to FO2
If it were a love letter to FO1 instead it'd easily be the best game in the series, but unfortunately it's not and suffers from the same "lol rand0m!!" moments that 2 did
>>
>>59206
Outdoorsman is one of the most underrated skills in the game.
>>
>>63484
>"lol rand0m!!" moments that 2 did
Like what? There really isn't a lot of silly shit going on in NV by default
>>
File: 1b leather jacket.jpg (93 KB, 900x630)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>25800
I miss the literal Mad Max outfit. Fallout 3/NV's leather armor/jackets doesn't compare in the slightest.
Also I miss Dogmeat being a Blue Heeler as another reference to Mad Max. At least Fallout 3 stuck to that, but 4 came along and Bethesda said "haha fuck one of if not the main source of inspiration for the original games" and made him a retarded Shepherd instead
>>
>>63842
it's not particularly consistent even at 300%
Sneak is much more useful for all-purpose safety
>>
File: 1594945050529.gif (719 KB, 320x180)
719 KB
719 KB GIF
>>64043
>There really isn't a lot of silly shit going on in NV by default
Have you even played New Vegas? Or are you trying to tell me that the main antagonists being a group of fucking post-nuclear Romans who wear footballl pads for armor and coyote furs for hats isn't 'silly shit'? Or that you're saved by a killer robot with a fucking cowboy personality after getting shot in the head isn't 'silly shit'? Or that the path to Vegas' independence being entirely through another killer robot but with a generic smiley face instead isn't 'silly shit'? Or that a Nightkin supermutant grandma with Alzheimers recruitable as a companion isn't 'silly shit'?

Even with Wacky Wasteland off, New Vegas is fucking impossible to take seriously at any point of the game. Which is fine and I still enjoyed New Vegas but it's a far fucking cry from the raw grittyness of FO1
>>
>>63484
How?
New Vegas is essentially the missing Fallout 3, naturally it will continue the story of the NCR and have lots of callbacks to Fallout 2 and Fallout 1. But most of the "lol rand0m" moments you mentioned are Wild Wasteland exclusively (which Fallout forced upon you with its random encounters).
>>
>>64363
>>64362
>>
>>64362
Considering the Legion isn't played for laughs and has a detailed and elaborate backstory behind it, I don't consider them to be "silly shit". Likewise Yes Man is explained, he was literally made to be Benny's yes man (which I will say ties in perfectly to the idea of letting you pick your own form of government).
>Or that a Nightkin supermutant grandma with Alzheimers recruitable as a companion isn't 'silly shit'?
Less silly than "psychic powers" in Fallout, for sure. Considering the Nightkin and Super Mutants all used to be people, I don't really see the problem with Lily.
>raw grittyness of FO1
A game which takes place less than 100 years after the bombs dropped compared to another that takes place over 200 years after the bombs dropped. If you expected the same raw grittyness, that's really your own fault.
>>
>>32921
Sounds like something from the restoration mod, because in the original, his sister is never in the game.
>>
>>64362
>Or are you trying to tell me that the main antagonists being a group of fucking post-nuclear Romans who wear footballl pads for armor and coyote furs for hats isn't 'silly shit'?
That doesn't come off as being silly at all. The Legion is played absolutely straight. They are slavers and eradicators of towns. They crucify people. Football pads hardly factors in
>Or that you're saved by a killer robot with a fucking cowboy personality after getting shot in the head isn't 'silly shit'?
You didn't find the "jolly good, chap!" Robin Hood rip-off silly? What about a random encounter with talking Brahmin? That's something that would be relegated to Wacky Wasteland in NV
>Or that the path to Vegas' independence being entirely through another killer robot but with a generic smiley face instead isn't 'silly shit'?
A bit too silly, yes, probably
>Or that a Nightkin supermutant grandma with Alzheimers recruitable as a companion isn't 'silly shit'?
Her character feels a lot more serious than the literal retard super mutant in Necropolis, but I get where you're coming from. All around, you're right, 1 doesn't have a lot of silly shit in it, and neither does NV. 2 feels a lot more like a parody in its tone. A lot more wacky shit and characters that are played for laughs
>>
>>32921
That's from Restoration Project. IIRC you can get him back after a few days just by talking to him again.
>>
File: 1584516651910.jpg (92 KB, 731x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>25800
Boring, stupid, dumb. Fuck off.
FO3>FO4>>>F76>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FONV>>>>>>>FO1/2
>>
File: friedyou.png (180 KB, 836x648)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>65114
>>
>>64197
Nothing is 100% consistent. Skills aren't even meant to go over 102%. It's a waste and only gives a negligible bonus.
>>
>>65616
>Skills aren't even meant to go over 102%. It's a waste and only gives a negligible bonus.
Verifiably untrue when you look at combat skills and how they interact with Armor Class and stuff like distance or weapon handling penalties, and also considering there are Science checks as high as 130-150% in Fallout 2.
>>
>>64484
No, the legion isn't played for laughs and I enjoy their backstory, but their very concept is still ridiculous even if it's well-executed. Same goes for Yes Man- A robot yesman for the snarky villain in a checkered suit is pretty ridiculous as far as Fallout is concerned. Just because it's well-executed doesn't mean things like this aren't jarring and kill suspension of disbelief.
I say this as someone who loved New Vegas, it's overall the least serious Fallout experience there is. Even it's DLCs
>Join forces with a mute, a ghoulified pre-war celebrity and split personality: the character to escape enslavement from a casino teeming with with hostile holograms and STALKERs
>choose to side with unga bunga group 1 or unga bunga group 2 with the help of religious pretentiousness: the character(s)
>Old World Blues

What kills me with NV is that it tries to be serious, but routinely kills your suspension of disbelief with some stupid shit like Dean Domino or Mormons. The only DLC that manages to stay consistently serious is Lonesome Road, which was absolutely fantastic and widely regarded as the best DLC. Although personally my favorite is OWB because as silly as it was, it all felt intentional, which let you actually have fun with it rather than going "Come on..!" every time something dumb came up

>>64811
There's some serious contention among groups that still talk about Fallout 1 on whether or not some of the random encounters actually happened, or if they're a result of the Vault Dweller going partially nuts under the combined stress of wandering a scorching barren wasteland wherein anything he encounters can and will kill him + knowing he's on a clock to perform a near impossible feat or else everyone he's known growing up will die of thirst
>>
>>65787
You're acting like it's impossible to finish this game without minmaxing, and THAT is verifiably untrue. It's piss easy. You just want to build for the ultimate end game build. Every check in the game can be done at 102%. You may fail a few times, but that is exactly what I said; nothing in this game is consistent.
>>
>>65114
>>
File: fo3fan.jpg (107 KB, 655x480)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>65114
>>
>>65926
> but their very concept is still ridiculous even if it's well-executed
Solely because their low-tier armor is stitched together from sports gear?
>Dean Domino
wot? How is that stupid? I really don't get what you mean here. Because he was a singer before the Great War?
I think you're REALLY stretching the point about New Vegas having "lol rand0m!!" moments like 2 had. It's like me pointing to the "jolly good, chap" thief in The Hub that I mentioned earlier, and using that to make the point that 1 is silly or stupid
>>
>>35213
mod source?
>>
>>66282
Funny how 12 year old me would agree with Angry Joe, but he was having those opinions while being an adult
>>
>>25800
>For me it was the inclusion of real guns and not the pseudo-firearms of Fallout 3/NV
Fucking what? Classic Fallout has plenty of fake guns and NV has a lot that are inspired by real guns. Your point is stupid and shit.
>>
>>66069
>You're acting like it's impossible to finish this game without minmaxing,
No, I never said anything like that. I'm just telling you that Outdoorsman isn't a consistent skill even at high percentages. It's not particularly helpful even for the end-game Supermutant or Enclave patrols. On top of that, you can learn it largely for free through Scout Handbooks, but you don't have to make it a priority.
>You just want to build for the ultimate end game build.
No. Would you defend First Aid?
>Every check in the game can be done at 102%
You can't implement Skynet's cybernetic brain unless you have Science 121%. There are a handful of terminals in the Enclave that require more science than that. None of those benefits are particularly huge, but point stands that
>Skills aren't even meant to go over 102%.
isn't a true statement.
>>
>>66445
Ok.
>>
>>65033
>>64614
I mean at this point I have Vic and Cassidy so I don't really need Sulik.
>>
>>66282
It's kinda funny how the longer time has passed, the more I realize people were right in their initial assessment of the game as "Oblivion with guns"
>>
>>67936
>Vic
Why would you use that old piece of shit?
>>
>>65926
>The only DLC that manages to stay consistently serious is Lonesome Road, which was absolutely fantastic and widely regarded as the best DLC.
Lonesome Road, while I like it, feels less like a story and more a meta commentary from Avellone on how players just complete quests mindlessly without thinking of the ramifications of their actions, told through how you destroyed the Divide by delivering that package.
>>
>>65926
>religious pretentiousness: the character
If you mean Daniel then I agree because he's a shitty person but I find nothing wrong in what Joshua says because he's lost his way in the past and is trying to find his way back to God.
>>
>>68171
He seems to be doing ok so far, but then I have him in brotherhood combat armor with a combat shotgun.
>>
>>68302
Also he repairs shit for me if he has higher repair skill than I do.
>>
>>25800
the only real gun in fallout 1 is a deagle

late '90s just had a weird boner for gunporn in videogames, which is why everything from '99 has a fucking pancor jackhammer in it. I hate it honestly although at least with real guns you don't get weird artist guns with like an ejection port in the foregrip
>>
>>68495
Which I always found wierd because the jackhammer in 2 has way too long of a barrel compared to the actual gun
>>
>>57578
go back to school, kid
>>
>>68543
Fallout 2 was in a bizzaro universe, where extremly rare guns are commonplace and vice versa.

That's why everybody has a Jackhammer or a FAL with full auto and almost nobody has heard of 9mm ammo.
>>
>>68846
The FN FAL was one of the most widely-used guns of the 20th century and the fully automatic variant was common, that isn't that odd.
>>
>>68171
sometimes you just want your teammate to shoot you
>>
How does FO2 end up if you deliberately do all the wrong options and fuck everything up?
>>
>>69049
We're talking about Vic, not Ian
>>
>>69066
In the end you still gotta kill Frank
>>
>>69066
Almost all the FO2 ending slides have a "you killed everyone by hand" version, so basically the "worst" outcome is that the people of arroyo are alive and well with a GECK (this can't be fucked up) and the entire rest of the wasteland is gone.
>>
File: come on now.png (147 KB, 354x443)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>33484
>not bozar
>>
has anyone beat either 1 or 2 with just the BB gun?
>>
>>69360
The nice thing about pulse weapons is they have an inherent hidden perk that makes them ignore 75% of the enemy's DT.
>>
File: 1582133735709.jpg (1.09 MB, 2048x1438)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>36601
I liked it for what it was, but there's not really much to discuss since it's a pretty linear game where you can just bulldoze through with stats dumped into a few weapon/medical skills

I kind of wish someone used the sprites and game engine of tactics to remake or mod Fallout 1 or 2 but I have no idea what that actually entails. Is tactics even moddable?
>>
>>64362
>main antagonists
They weren't the main antagonists. Just a looming threat in the background. You're free with your courier to join them, or to just ignore the bigger events of the mojave all together.
>>
>>35118
>Vault City be a forshadowing to Enclave society
Huh... never thought about it that way. But holy fuck I hate this bitch. Character makes sense considering her position and the city itself though.
>>
>>62350
I believe it's supposed to be his cybernetics exploding, since the first that happens in the animation is his head implant being destroyed
>>
>>37051

Goris ;_;
>>
>>35118
She's not going to genocide the wasteland, and they still accept outsiders within limits. Vic of all people managed to marry a vault city broad.
>>
>>69360
>not avenger, the gun with potentially highest damage output
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>69724
I really liked her because I knew she was voiced by Cree Summer (same as Tandi) who was a '90s cutie voice actress
>>
Thoughts about Underrail?

I really liked it altough some of the combat aspects were just straight up made lamo bullshit unless you cheesemaxx or savescum maxx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAn68Uy2jQ
>>
File: chrysippus.png (107 KB, 246x357)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>70000
very nice
>>
>>40730
Based deathclaw-let.
>>
>>69837
Honestly when I played this game as a kid I was BIG GUNZ as fuck, but replaying it later I'm having a lot more fun with a more subtle build
>>
>>70233
It's OK, very build and combat focused, incorporates spergy shit from newer RPGs like player housing and crafting. It's cheap, just try it.
>>
>>40847
>get biomed gel (one in lvl 1 infirmary and another in lvl 3 by the unfinished brainbot)
>get a motivator from a brainbot (trip alarm on lvl 1 and kill one and rip it out)
>get a brain on lvl 4 (science skill determines the quality, for the best have something like 120%+)
>jam everything into the brainbot at lvl 3 and hit the console to activate it
>congratulations!
>>
>>70233
that game has its own thread though...
>>
>>40730
i had it
>>
File: 19235922195.png (269 KB, 448x336)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
I thought Fallout started at 3???
>>
>>69663
Tactics's final patch (1.2.7, I want to say?) comes with mod tools, which make it much easier to mod than either of the first two Fallouts. There's actually a good amount of fanmade content out there, whether weapon replacements, rebalances, or all-out total conversion mods. The engine itself just doesn't allow for dialogue trees, however, so there's no way to replicate the first two Fallouts.
>>
>>70000
there it is.
>>
File: the sum.jpg (100 KB, 1176x664)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>71817
The Sum is one of the best fallout mods I've ever played
>>
Reminder that Big Guns is the best way to play 2.

>regular enemies get reduced to pulp with the bozar and it's dirt cheap ammo
>carve through navarro and the oil rig with the vindicator by killing multiple enemies with a single burst
>the rocket launcher is the most fun long range weapon in the game
>>
>>25800
this son of a bitch still haunts me
>>
>>72921
>>the rocket launcher is the most fun long range weapon in the game
But picking up items isn't.
>>
>>72735
I'm not familiar with this one. What makes it so good?
>>
I remember super sledging people in the nuts then laughing when they slid away. Especially if they were kids.
F2 was so much fun.
>>
>>73040

>implying i give a shit about the trash enemies drop by the time i get a rocket launcher and steady supply of ammo for it
>>
>>69663
Try one of the fonline servers, its basically that but multiplayer
>>
>>72921
I find Big Guns unsatisfying in 2 because of all the health inflation. In 1 if you hit a normal dude with a direct RPG hit he'll be blown to pieces, in 2 he'll get knocked down and lose half his health. Eye shots are way too good in comparison. Also there's a bunch of new OP stuff and it's mostly Small Guns.

They're fun in 1 though, even if a bit impractical
>>
>>73364
>>
>>73364
Fast shot goes with bigguns

The problem with F2 is that there are weapons that use small guns skill that do completely appropriate amounts of damage for an endgame character, so hurting yourself in the early game by not tagging/raising small guns doesn't pay off in the late game.

In F1 not taking big guns or energy weapons means that you do way less endgame damage.
>>
>>73603
The meta for bigunns is to not tag any weapon skills, raise big guns to ~100% and then pick Tag! big guns and that'll pump it up to 200%+. Easy minigun sniping.
>>
File: flamer.gif (472 KB, 200x130)
472 KB
472 KB GIF
>>72921
Big guns were always the most fun to use in the OG fallouts. They're super lacklustre in the 3D versions IMO
My favorite big guns build was a pyro build with the improved flamer and solar scorcher
>>
So why can't these threads be in /vg/, /vr/ or just regular /v/?
>>
>>73847
they gaye
>>
>>73847
same reason you can't read the sticky
>>
>>73847
They could be there. They can also be here.
>>
>>73847
No particular reason.
>>
>>73001
I liked the holotapes you find where he documents going from some guy hiding in a cave to mutating and amalgamating other things and becoming the master.
>>
>>58721
Decent. If you want to play the games from a chronological stand point, this is the first in context. It gives you haw the Enclave was formed from the "rapidly" deteriorating remains of the US gov. And you get to meet Fredrick, the POTUS at the time of the fall.
>>
>>62144
Perm fixture of Bloody Mess.
>>
>>60038
You could also bash open doors with a crowbar.
>>
>>25800
Play Fallout Nevada
>>
>>64132
Are there any mods that restore this look in FNV?
>>
>>36246
>>39244
Gambling is pointless, if you need gear that bad just take the time to haul every item to the exit grid
you don't need 9str and big guns become pretty pointless outside of the browning m2 after the mutant missions, start pumping energy weapons before you reach that point
you can also abuse the ai using the sniper rifle
if encounters are hard use turn based to set up the perfect ambush
t. played since release, online was so much fun
>>
>>77142
>>36246
also grenades are godlike, you can lob them over walls at things you can't even technically see.
>>
>>39244
Charisma gets you to higher tiers of equipment and recruits faster and I think if you really tank charisma you will never have any of the top recruits or best buyable equipment available at all.

However, if you are enough of a sperg to tinker with the builds of some of the low level shitters for enough level ups they're pretty much the best characters, so it's not that critical.
>>
>>36601
I have, but there's not much to talk about. It's fun, but as another anon said, you can just steamroll it, without really engaging in any of the actual options that you have. Vehicles sorta ruined it for a casual play.
>>
The most important thing to understand about FOT is the burst bug. I'm not gonna explain it but just google it and reason some forum post from 2009 about what it does
>>
>>77547
I'm pretty sure it's an urban myth. It might be easier than it should be to get hit with stray burst fire - it *feels* like that - but you absolutely don't get hit with the full damage of the burst.
>>
>>77590
it's not, you're just stupid
have a guy stand at the furthest spot a bunch of super mutants with SAWs can shoot, they will plink at him with bursts doing almost no damage. He can easily survive many bursts with just metal armor

However, make another character in metal armor stand near the targeted character and they will be instantly shot to pieces because misses get automatically retargeted to nearby units and there is a hit calculation bug at that point or something similar

if you wanted to bait me into explaining it you succeeded I guess
>>
>>73603
>so hurting yourself in the early game by not tagging/raising small guns
Sticking to big guns from the start doesn't hurt you at all.
Flamethrower is an incredible early game weapon and it's available at the same time as actually usable small guns become available - Den.
>>
>>77968
Actually, my mistake, it's available by New Reno. So one city later than Den (Redding quests being impossible for a new character) but at least Den isn't a combat heavy area.
>>
>>77968
I believe you but where?
>>
>>78027
>>78041
Fuck I believed anon... I was gonna start a game and kill the den slaver guy with a flamer, it was gonna be great

what the fuck am I supposed to do now
>>
>>78061
You drop by New Reno, buy a flamer, return to Den.
>>
>>78076
if I'm going to be a double back bitch that grabs overpowered shit by sequence breaking before getting the highwayman I might as well just go to navarro
>>
>>78237
>sequence breaking
Clearing out slaver's guild is optional content that you can return to at any point.
Just pay for Vic/whore yourself, do other quests, and return. It's all fair.
Not every character needs to be a gorilla that instantly takes on the enemies.
>>
>>77699
There are multiple versions of the "burst bug" floating around. The most repeated, because it lets people complaint the most, is that not only is anyone in the vicinity of the target automatically hit, but they're automatically hit for the full damage of the burst. This is demonstrably not true. I could then go on to describe every possible version of the burst bug, but it would be wasted effort because you obviously aren't aware of them and don't like to learn.

I *do* suspect stray burst fire has a higher chance of hitting people than it should, like maybe armour class doesn't get applied if a projectile intersects with a unit that wasn't the intended target of the attack, but misses aren't automatically applied to all nearby units either. Spray into a large crowd and you'll see some people get hit and some don't.
>>
>>79810
whenever you feel smart again in your life, remember that you're so fucking stupid you thought the burst bug was an urban legend, you stupid fucking idiot
>>
>>73055
>Kid steals my fucking stimpaks
>Super sledge him in the balls and watch him slide offscreen

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.