[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1642101783121.jpg (151 KB, 541x562)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Go play barbie if you want to play dress up make believe
>>
>>2366830
Based, I know what a hero looks like and it's the OP image
>>
>UM SWEETY actually self inserting just means you don't have a good imagination and aren't very smart! You see it takes a true genius to come up with some mediocre unoriginal character like I do! Self inserting defeats the purpose of roll playing games! Why...? We well it just fricking does OKAY!?

Roll players are mid wit psuedo intellectuals. There's no reasoning with these people. Fellow self inserters need to realize this sad fact.
>>
>>2366830
Uh-uh, good to know, faggot.
>>
I pirated the game, I'll play it however I like.
>>
>>2366830
>Go play barbie if you want to play dress up make believe
or you could play the Sims for that
>>
>Self inserting is the only TRUE way to play RPGs
This is only true in the first playthrough of a new series. If I'm a fish out of water anyways I might as well be myself
>>
>>2366830
Self inserting is dress up and make believe, OP.
>>
File: 028._Soyjack.jpg (7 KB, 156x180)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2366830
>Whats the MC canon name?
>>
>>2366830
>Self inserting is the only TRUE way to play RPGs
Is that why you're only playing sissy faggots?
>>
>>2366956
>Ummmm there’s only ONE canon ending
>>
>>2366845
>psuedo
I hate mutts so much, it's unreal.
>>
>>2366830
no i don't think i won't
>>
>>2366830

ITT: Butthurt fags that want to play girls

You will never be a woman. Cope and seethe.

Self-insert master race.
>>
>>2366830
>he doesn't write a complex character personality with a reasonable, fitting to the lore, backstory
OP, please
>>
>>2366830
Stop with the shit bait threads or move this trash to /v/.
>>
>>2366830

Objectively wrong. Video games are simulations, not representations. This is an objective fact. And in case you are wondering what this means it means the constructs are in no need to represent or pretend that they represent any set of rules present in any other system, they are self contained and their rules are equally valid by default. This gives simulations the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want from making dragons and lizard people to ignore physics and forces. You name it, in a simulation it is possible. Accordingly the player need only to concern himself with the rules of the simulation and is in no way obligated by the limitations of reality.
>>
>>2366830
>self-inserting
>in a cuck game
welp
>>
>>2367358
How the fuck am i supposed to do that when I've never played the game before?
>>
>>2366830
Self inserting defeats the whole point of playing RPGs in the first place. The point is that you can be whoever you want to be, particularly someone you aren't / can never be. That's the whole appeal.

Unless by self inserting you just mean immersing yourself in the character you're playing. Then yes, that's the only true way to play RPGs. Treating your character like it's a chess piece that you're moving around means you don't understand RPGs.
>>
One can play what s\he bought the ways s\he wants lol, having bad and good taste is a different matter instead
>>
>>2367710
>>2367386
>>2367358
Mid wits
>>
>>2366830
If you're playing anything but a white human male fighter with blonde hair and blue eyes, you're playing rpgs wrong.
>>
>>2367718
>s\he
Massive faggot detected.
>>
File: 983.png (103 KB, 340x444)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>
>>2367866
Its actually a discord schizo thread.
>>
>>2367879
>>2367866
See
>>2366845
No one's impressed
>>
>>2366845
>>2368252
You can't even tell the difference between "roll" and "role". Now that's a sad fact.
>>
>>2367649
he's a cuck himself so it's only natural
>>
>>2367710
That's retarded. Literally all games have you play as someone else. By that logic Resident Evil and DMC are RPGs.
RPGs are supposed to give you a role in another setting so you live a more interesting life.
It basically why Isekai has exploded in popularity and the MCs are given barebones personality because of it.
>>
>>2368514
>RPGs are supposed to give you a role in another setting so you live a more interesting life.
That's what was said:
>The point [of RPGs] is that you can be whoever you want to be, particularly someone you aren't / can never be. That's the whole appeal.
>>
File: 1621147924623.gif (87 KB, 192x197)
87 KB
87 KB GIF
>>2366845
>play as myself in Dark Souls
>have to be SL1 because you don't level up in real life
>use basic sword and bored because I value my life and am scared of violence
>want to stay in Firelink because even if I'm immortal dying still hurts, leave anyway out of sheer boredom
>take a nap after every boss fight
>can't take people with me through the game, breaking my immersion since I'd need numbers to fight any group of enemies
Sasuga
>>
>>2368514
>>2367710

Technically the therm role refers to the function played in relation to a given situation. The role of the hero, the role of the villain, the role of the father or mentor, the role of the lover and so on. This basic definition is both, representative and insufficient for both arguments so further analysis is required yes? Role playing games, as we know, start with the tabletop PnP games were players make up characters (which one could lousily define as beings that possess distinctive features or qualities made to perform the players intended actions). Once again the definition does not specify if these constructions should or need to be fictional or based on real people. So far neither linguistics nor narrative narrow it down. We should then move down to other defining features of RPGs considering the history of the genre. Back in the day it was clear which games took inspiration from RPGs, most games didn`t have plots or menus with stats, attributes or skills. Having just a few of those was enough too since people understood there were limitations. These days genres have evolved into stylized hybrids. RPGs have embraced traits from action adventure games or platformers and action games and shooters have embraced some RPG features. Now every game and it`s mother have stories and complex characters so that hardly defines the genre anymore.

> TL; DR the absence of an answer is an answer too
>>
>>2366830
This thread is cringe. All of you are cringe. Only I am based.
>>
I self insert and role play at the same time.
>>
File: objection.png (663 KB, 1404x989)
663 KB
663 KB PNG
>>2368818
>SL1
>basic sword
>>
>>2367710
>>2368514
>It basically why Isekai has exploded in popularity and the MCs are given barebones personality because of it.

Good Evening,

I have recognized this as the most interesting topic in this thread of repetitive autism which I shall now award with this Internet Star: *. It also explains why characters like Harry Potter and Rand Al'Thor are such by the rules generic goody two shoes shlubs. The world was become an impossible unsustainably gay world, and men desire to escape from faggotry through the vehicles of literature in the grand old tradition began before Robert Howard even invented Conan. Self inserting is a fine and venerable tradition and the finest roleplayers are also self inserters.

It has been a sincere pleasure interacting with you online,

GXB
>>
i just do whatever seems interesting and not bother with role playing
>>
>>2369363
>playing Chaotic Neutral
your sort is the worst
>>
>>2369365
This person let's other men fuck his gf
>>
>>2369365
i mean hey, in a single player game you can do whatever you like, right
and in multiplayer you just chat with friends and do cool stuff together
>>
>>2369367
This person is obsessed with trannies, cucking, and, most likely, blacks.
>>
>>2369369
>i mean hey, in a single player game you can do whatever you like, right
Yes
>and in multiplayer you just chat with friends and do cool stuff together
Again yes, but I'm going to ghost you if you're really into playing a female avatar in a game without genderlocked classes. Nothing personal.
>>
>>2369395
nah i usually play as guys, except when girls have unique perks i want
>>
File: 1306899022259.jpg (50 KB, 564x436)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2366830
>Go play barbie if you want to play dress up make believe
>pretending you're successful, likeable, and can romance someone isn't make believe

Uh huh, sure.
I'm gonna make a game called "dumb faggot working minimum wage and staring at his cute coworker but never working up the courage to talk to her, and then running into someone from school who is far more successful than they are"
THEN you can self insert without any faggoty make-believe.
>>
>>2369338
I'm 6'0 200lb, I'm not physically fit enough to carry a shield AND a low stat requirement meme weapon. Even if I was, I'm playing as myself so I'm limited by realistic weight limits.
>>
>>2366830
I only self insert if the game has romance.
>>
File: Larian.png (28 KB, 608x318)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>playing cuckold games
>>
there is only self insert
there is only the player and his conception of reality
even crafted characters rely on his understanding of archetypes and themes, which descend from his psyche
>>
File: 1594854171575.jpg (204 KB, 1360x1351)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>2371338
I don't. I make a woman and make her slam clams with another women so I can feel like the big sheik clapping his hands so harem girl will kiss other harem girl

KISS FOR OFFENDI
KISS
KISS!
>>
>>2366830
I agree while I don't mind when char is developed so good like Geralt...
>>
>>2371375
An actual retard.
>>
I like how it looks like that one BG1 and 2 avatar I normally use for Paladins
>>
>>2371574
Based psychology enjoyer.
>>
>>2372213
?
>>
>>2366830
I usually just invent a new character off of the top of my head every time.
90% of them are human though

>>2367347
Playing female characters is fucking boring in current year political correct fantasy Seattle.
It was fun to roll one up in games like M&B Warband and Arcanum where 51% of all military personelle and leaders weren't strong independent womxn and the world responded to your character properly. Now it's just depressing.
>>
>>2373440
Playing a woman is boring because women are boring.
>>
>>2373440
>the world responded to your character properly
100% agree. I’m genuinely more interested in playing as a woman in games that penalise you for it or unlocks sexist content. The industry standard of not commenting on female protagonists as if it’s normal or safe for women to go out alone or commit great violence is incredibly immersion breaking. You can do really interesting things narratively by absorbing real world gender roles and standards into your fantasy setting. A woman that is treated realistically, a woman that has realistic strength, that has to prove herself as capable is a far more intriguing character and story to experience than your average Western developer’s approach of just having a Mary Sue protagonist that everyone basically treats as a man save for one or two lines of dialogue.
>>
>>2367386
Video games are movies.
They have one way to do things as that is the way they are programed to be played.

Machines follow code that code is programmed, so it has one way the code works.
Every way not focused on is wrong and incomplete as it was only ever ment to be done one way, just like a movie is one way.
>>
>>2371574
>assuming the average person uses role-playing-game to role play
I pity the autist fore all he sees is autism, all he hears is autism, all he smells tastes and touches is autism.
>>
>>2375238
>playing as a woman
How is the estrogen working?
>>
>>2375485
If video game were movies there would be no reason to have an interactive medium.
>>
>>2366830
i'm ugly so I want my character to look cool
>>
>>2376655
To be fair, you can't really make a decent looking male yet. Not sure if you will be able to later on either, but I always just have to settle on something that is good enough. Though they tend to look better in game than they do in the creator, I wish there weren't so many weird looking faces. There are only like 2 or 3 that are usable.
>>
>>2371689
Sounds kind of gay.
>>
>>2375238
They should penalize you by forcing you to stay in the starting town and getting to house making,

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.