[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 714142.jpg (2.08 MB, 2000x2849)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
Tales of Destiny DC English Patch (100%*, play it now!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98yF_Dq98A [Open]
https://github.com/furiousg4m3r/Tales-of-Destiny-DC

Tales of Innocence R - English Translation Progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdti1BsmoOo [Open]
https://github.com/lifebottle/Tales-of-Innocence-R

Tales of VS Translation Project
https://github.com/Ignis0011/Tales-of-VS

Tales of Crestoria will shut down on Sun, Feb. 6th, 2022
Be sure to datamine everything before the inevitable end
>>
>>2363150
everyone is a boy in that image except elle
milla's really cute tho
>>
File: 854115.png (98 KB, 306x336)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
Armpits...
>>
top 10 for most 6.5/10 franchise ever made
>>
Reminder that arise fucking sucks
>soulless
>no anime portraits
>no mystic arte cut-ins
>can't stagger/combo bosses
>no fun post battle screens
>no Fujishima
>no Inomata
>completely ruined enemy mystic artes
>feels like a fucking star ocean game
>weak trophy list, everything can be gotten easily on one playthrough
>weak sidequests
>zero incentive to try new game plus
>horrible new visual style
>bland soulless menus/ui
>no katz
>no turtlez
>no pikohan
>no legacy costumes
>no fun
>weak and forgettable cast
>worse than zestiria
>less soul than zestiria
>extremely weak crafting/customization system, graces, berseria, and zestiria all did it better
>removed traditional portrait based skits
>replaced them with soulless in-engine ones
>weakest story every, horrible pacing, completely falls apart after beating 5th lord
>bonus dungeon and cameo fights sucked
>endgame bossrush is only playable once per file
>forgetable OP
>another forgetable OP
>no memorable songs
>>
>>2363172
The most "I only play the Tales games available on Steam" opinion ever made.
>>
Are you going to bait with that every thread?
>>
Why did they reuse Lailah’s design to make Shionne and then gave her a worse personality?
>>
>>2363184
Zestiria is trash and lmao at you praising its customization when it has bar none the most convoluted and worst equipment system of all time. Your opinion fucking sucks, anon
>>
>>2363655
>T. Filtered Brainlet
>>
>>2363673
You’re the same schizo praising Zestiria over and over, literally no one else likes it but you
>>
File: 351970_20210112171442_1.png (1.35 MB, 1920x1080)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>2363655
>>2360669
>convoluted
Depth. It had depth, there was so much you could do with the different skills on the weapons, and so many different types of weapons with different primary and secondaty stats, not to mention double and triple skills.
What does Arise have? Nothing. It's the most lazy, zero-effort, zero depth, basic, casual bullshit I've ever seen
You just make the weapon and that's it. Of all the shit I hate about Arise, this may be the thing that disappointed me the most

>>2360663
This reads like a legitimate shill post
>We dumbed down the equipment sytem and removed a ton of series staples but it's not a big deal, in fact it's a good thing! it's great for newcomers!

>>2363694
That isn't me you nutjob
Also, Zestiria is one of my least favorites. I'm only praising it's equipment customization and soul. It's still world's better than Arise though.
For the record my favorites are Symphonia, Graces, and Xillia 2
>>
>>2363553
>Why did they reuse Lailah’s design to make Shionne
*Fodra Queen
>>
>>2363731
The equipment system was never that convoluted before Zestiria moron, in fact they were usually pretty basic so Zestiria was an outlier in that regard and made it needlessly complicated. Going back to their roots isn’t removing series staples, lmao at you thinking convoluted equipment systems is a series staple just because like 1-2 games had it out of 17+ entries
>>
>>2363741
I wasn't calling the equipment system a series staple you idiot, I was talking about anime portraits and fun characters like turtlez and katz. Read the post I'm quoting.
>>
Zestiria isn't the worst tales but that it breeds the worst posters, that I am sure
>>
>>2363769
Both Zestiria and Berseria have the most obnoxious spamming posters. nuTales was a mistake
>>
>>2363769
Berseria's worse on that
>>
>>2363769
Nah. Arisenigs helped kill /tog/ a second time
>>
>>2363794
It's funny that all the Arise spammers, especially the Alphen/Shionne shippers, disappeared from the threads just a month after it came out. Almost makes me wonder if someone was paying them.
>>
>>2363799
Maybe it takes some genuine mental deficiencies to spend time creating a "personality" on an anonymous image board by spamming specific images before and they realized they weren't actually up to doing that.
>>
>>2363799
Nah, it's just that Arise is so goddamn awful even they have forgot about it after a month
>>
>>2363807
I have no doubt Arise posters have genuine mental deficiencies, but they likely also have very short attention spans and are already off to the next flavor of the month.
>>
>>2363799
Arise is a FoTM as you can fucking get, so I'm honestly not even surprised. Discussion for it couldn't even last more than a month even on /v/, which shits on everything
>>
>>2362637
The article linked from the last thread said that it's for certain that the atmospheric shaders will not be used for remakes, but I read the Famitsuu article just now and what Tomizawa actually said is that they're still researching their viability for use in remaking the older games, but it would take a lot of reworking so it won't be ready immediately. It sounds like a lot of fans in Japan have been requesting in the recent surveys that the older games be remade with the Arise engine.
Personally I'm hoping for both ports and remakes.
>>
File: 1627557911178.png (231 KB, 402x420)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
Arise fans are mostly normalfags so it's obvious that they don't bother spending time in fucking /vrpg/, not to mention that everytime they post anything about the game no-life schizos here are ready 24/7 to jump on them.
>>
>>2362637
>The ugly soulless art style will continue to be used in future games
Yeah I think I'm done with this franchise
I'll still replay the many past games I love but I'm not paying for any more of this hideous shit going forward
>>
Was it just me, or did Arise have absolutely zero humor? Was Bandai Namco trying too hard to cater to westernfags with "le hoo ha witcher 3 srz bzns" bullshit? What do japs think about arise?
>>
File: 1619623251148.png (478 KB, 564x965)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>2364020
>Hearts R with gameplay untouched but 60FPS and Arise's visuals
A man can dream...
>>2364032
It had humor but it was so bad and so awkwardly delivered you could frankly not register it at all and I wouldn't be surprised.
And most of it was relegated to those skits you'd only get by exploring the fields over and over, I'm sure some of those skits also required backtracking in a game where you have zero reasons to revisit 90% locations if you just comb them the moment you get through them.
>>
>>2364020
Still reading the rest of article. Another thing Tomizawa said is that there are still no plans for an anime adaptation of Arise as of now, but they're still thinking of providing some sort of supplementary content for it in the future.
As for the 30th anniversary, they're still planning what project they'll be doing. Rather than make an anniversary title just because it's the 30th anniversary, they want to make something that the fans really want. Although they'd like to release new console titles periodically, without a big gap between them like there was between Berseria and Arise, they don't want to ignore all the fans who are asking for ports and remakes either. Later this year they'll do their best to announce "various" things.
>>
>>2364068
i don't remember berseria anymore but i feel last good skits were in xillia desu. zestiria was fun, but when you get the same jokes about armadillans and puns and the meebo bullying repeated to oblivion it stops being that fun.
>>
>>2364024
The art style is the only good thing about Arise though
>>
In the end, it's Xillia who made it home as the best of nu-Tales. Imagine that.
>>
>>2364068
>And most of it was relegated to those skits you'd only get by exploring the fields over and over
speaking of skits how did the devs fuck up skits so bad? the characters' faces feel a lot less expressive now, whereas in the older titles the 2d portraits were just so fun, cute, and charming
>>
>>2364224
>I can still remember all the flack Xillia got
I don't know how I feel.
>>
>>2364232
>not even with proper lipsync
Do you remember when people said that would only be a problem in the promotional videos?
>>
>>2364032
It's "humor" was just so bad you can hardly call it that
>>
>>2363150
Alternate universe Milla was the best Milla and the fact that she had to die to bring back the boring original one was unforgivable.
>>
>make game with beautiful environment
>it's a corridor style game
gay
>>
File: rean_survive.png (85 KB, 552x106)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Is this truly the extent of your power, /tog/?
>>
>>2364508
haha
>>
File: FI9sN6TUUAAdygb.jpg (117 KB, 639x683)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>Double Papenbrooks
>>
>>2364532
Sounds like cool guys
>>
>>2364532
>All those jokes about Law getting compared to Asbel came true
>>
>>2364108
Zesteria was a bit different in that a lot of the repeat jokes were less in the skits and more in the little 2-3 dialouge lines that showed up the first time you fought a kind of monster (which desu I sorta liked and missed in Berseria). I really disliked Berseria skits because they took everything that used to be cutscenes or just straight up party dialogue and turned it into a skit - so every 10 steps you'd have a forced skit happen where half the information is repeated from before, and it just got really tiresome and took all the fun away from them.
>>
>spent all my healing items just to beat Ganabelt
Go on without me...
>>
>>2364571
Dude. Did you equip Alexandrites? The dungeon even gives you one or two to prepare for Ganabelt's Indignation
>>
If they want to remake a game is better to do with Abyss and Symphonia because they are popular while Destiny DC, Graces, Xillia and Vesperia would work better as remaster.
>>
>>2364374
I loved how much of a housewife fractured milla was, prime milla seems to prefer to eat over cook
>>
>>2364573
He turned into multiple copies and just destroys me...
>>
>>2364607
You mean it'd be better to remake Abyss or Symphonia, because the gameplay fucking stinks today. (well, Abyss was bad even when it was released, but whatever)
But then you should also add Vesperia. That's not much better. If the game design of that game would be better, I'd probably like it.

That said, after Arise I don't want any Tales of remakes. As much as I complain about some titles, it'd probably just get worse. Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise were just so not good, and barely RPGs to begin with.
>>
The hatred towards Arise here is overblown desu, i wonder if people are just retaliating from the undeserved praise the game got everywhere else. I do think that it's overrated, probably the most overrated game in the series but it's still decent nonetheless. In here, it's like the game is worse than Zestiria and Tempest or something.
>>
damn I hate the boost strike OHKO
Whats the purpose of this shit when it can't be used on boss
>>
>>2363782
>>2363783
Zestiria and Berseria are the worst games in the series.
>>
>>2364687
Wrong because everytime someone thinks Zestiria is better than Arise, there's some sperging out about how NOTHING is worst than Zestiria
>>
Arise has the worst waifus
>>
File: casts fireball.gif (1.79 MB, 400x225)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB GIF
>>2364714
>>
Name one good thing about Arise
I'll wait
>>
File: 1631505020490.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1080)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>2364733
alphen
>>
>>2364736
worst MC in all of tales
>>
Zestiria is one of my favourites alongside Abyss.
>>
I'm the only one here currently awake that loves Innocence.
>>
File: DyjxdOrVYAIren_.jpg (198 KB, 1100x1000)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Zestiria unironically has the best girl of all Tales, even all JRPGs
>>
>>2364750
Guess again fucker
>>
Is buying PS3 worth it just to play Xillia and Graces or should i wait for remaster coming to PC?
>>
>>2364779
Why not? PS3 has a shitton of good games too so it's not like you'll end up playing just two of them
t. buying a Vita only for Hearts R
>>
>>2364779
I'd assume if you could play the remaster you can emulate it through RPCS3.
>>
>>2364832
No, that's not how it works. Emulation is CPU heavy while PC ports are GPU. I can play triple AAA games thanks to my 1070, but since my CPU is a 2700k it slows down to a crawl if I ever emulate anything above sixth generation.
>>
>>2364840
xillia and graces aren't exactly cpu demanding on rpcs3 either. graces is a wii port.
>>
>>2364851
What are your specs? It has to be better than mine.
>>
>>2364851
You would be surprised, even Graces and Dawn slows down on a 2600k
>>
File: FI-xOREaIAIXcGH.jpg (453 KB, 1211x1500)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has a huge spread on Tales of Arise: with an interview with Producer Tomizawa, top characters, etc. as voted by fans.
>>
File: sushisenel.jpg (376 KB, 1913x2537)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>2364750
I finished the game not too long ago. I had some qualms with it up until the game was over. I appreciated my time with it once I reached the finale. I played the DS version, and have been told the Vita one is that much better. But overall it was a very solid Tales game. I will admit the 'abrupt' ending surprised me. I wasn't even aware the Sky Dungeon was the finale.
>>
>>2364665
Vesperia already have a remaster that people with PS4/PS5 and switch can play.
>>
>>2365031
>top characters, etc. as voted by fans.
It's just going to be Dohalim as the highest and Kisara as the lowest
>>
>>2363150
I'm waiting for the Tales of Rebirth PSP translation.
I've been curious about it since 2005.
I hope it's actually good.
>>
>>2365062
Dim your hopes
>>
>>2365064
But I thought it was hailed as one of the best old-school games?
>>
>>2365073
I don't know where you people are hearing this. Rebirth does a LOT wrong. There's a somewhat enjoyable game underneath it, but it's going to be hard for most people to get there.
>>
>>2364733
The shaders are admittedly pretty good.
And the PC port was strangely well optimized too despite the lack of rendering options without needing to tinker with .ini files, I'm still surprised by how well it runs given Bamco's legacy of atrocious ports, especially atrocious Tales of ports.
>>
>>2365081
How so? Hard in what aspect? Like, waiting near the end of the game before the game gets good? That's every Tales of, right?
What about the cast and the story though?
>>
File: orsstrap.jpg (291 KB, 1055x2776)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>2365081
Can you elaborate on what it does wrong? I've been looking forward to playing Rebirth for years now and tend to hear mostly positive things aside from maybe the story and the last act.
>>
Why do fujo hate kisara
>>
>>2365090
>>2365098
It was the first game where they got the idea that more skits = better with no limit, so they bloated the fuck out of the game. I believe it has the highest skit count in the series still, and the amount of repetition in them is mind-blowing.
The game is split into halves, and the first half is a normal JRPG whereas the second half is hardly different from a visual novel.
You're limited to only tokugi -> ougi combos, hiougis are only available as finishing moves against the last living enemy when they're low enough HP to die from it. Characters will be done learning tokugis by halfway through the game.
The story is written like a children's cartoon PSA on racism. And because of the structure of the game as mentioned earlier, you can't really just ignore it and enjoy the game. Fighting racism through talking to people IS the gameplay in the second half. The ending makes a complete asspull for the sake of a bittersweet ending.
Neither of the villains have any presence in the story. One has basically zero character and all of their motivations are revealed right before the fight with them, the other is a surprise final boss who's only revealed right before the final dungeon spawns.
I'm kind of neutral on the characters. Claire is the "voice of reason" to a fault, she can basically talk anyone out of anything and everything she says is truth. The rest of them are mostly just bland, with Eugene being the sole exception.
>>
>>2363184
>no anime portraits
>removed traditional portrait based skits
Heritage from the time when 3D models were shit. Now we got proper animation with acceptable level of fidelity. Don't be stuck in 90s.
>no mystic arte cut-ins
>no katz and pikohan
They are cringe for non-weebs though. For one, I am glad that they moved on from it.
>no fun post battle screens
Good riddance. They are fun a couple of times when you get a new character interaction, but with how many battles Tales has, it quickly becomes annoying and I click through anyway
>no memorable songs
I thought Riville Prison theme was good

Everything else is legitimate criticism.
>>
No minigames
>>
>>2365125
>with Eugene being the sole exception.
Because he's a buff tiger man am I right?
>>
Alphen and Shionne fucked like rabbits after she lost her thorns.
>>
File: senelbead.jpg (1.61 MB, 2736x3648)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>2365125
I have never played Xenogears only what I've heard in passing. From what you described it seems like the two share a common trait with the second half of their respective games.
I enjoy Tempest for what it is, and I am not incredible picky so I hope I'll be able to overlook the issues with Rebirth as well.
I appreciate you going in depth to explain your complaints.
>>
>>2365281
Xenogears is different. The development ran out of time, the higher-ups wanted to ship the game with a half-assed ending, but the director didn't want to end it like that so he put in little abridged explanations of what was happening between dungeons on the second disc.
Rebirth is the way it is deliberately, and there are no missing chunks of the story just narrated to you.
>>
File: FI-66KfaMAEM3YU.jpg (59 KB, 734x408)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>2365195
But Arise did have minigames? Even some of the trophies were attached to fishing.
>>
>>2365115
big fishing energy
>>
File: 83045938745.png (415 KB, 540x535)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>>2365266
>after
>>
>>2365210
Not him but Eugene is genuinely a well written and very endearing character with a good character arc and story behind him, outside of that incredibly shitty racism flu part, and he's a buff cougar man, not a buff tiger man, get it right.
>>
Arise engine with a bigger open world game would be good
>>
>>2365348
>bigger open world
Nah, fuck off.
>>
>>2365374
Yes. something like Zestiria with better settings ;)
>>
>>2365323
Don't bother, Ednafag doesn't play Tales.
>>
>>2365348
Please, no. I hate open worlds, or more exactly the meme they try to push as open worlds.
>>
File: EBDhum6UcAAe0Nf.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>See thread after 20 hours
>Schizos everywhere
>>
File: dead.png (478 KB, 837x318)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>2365547
do you even know what a schizo is?
>>
>>2365160
>Now we got proper animation with acceptable level of fidelity. Don't be stuck in 90s.
You can say that, but the facial animation is Arise is well below industry standards, whereas skit portraits had previously been getting more and more expressive. It's possible we'll go back to that level, but Tales tends to be so rushed and questionably budgeted that I don't see the point.
>>
>>2365348
Just make like the FF6 World of Ruin
>>
>>2365160
>Removing the things that make Tales Tales is good
Bait post, I won't even bother with a large reply
>>
Just beat Arise.

Was ok.
>>
>>2365333
100 percent fucked after.
>>
>>2364737
Emil
>>
So after a mind-melting 569 hours across 11 save files, I've finally finished my autistic dream of going through the main story of Destiny DC as all 10 playable characters in order to "master" them to the best of my ability. With that, I can semi-confidently rank the amount of fun I had as each character as thus;

Rutee > Lilith = Leon* > Mary > Woodrow > Stahn > Leon** > Chelsea > Kongman > Philia >>> Johnny

* = w/o Demon Lance Zero, ** = w/ DLZ

>Rutee
A lot of bias here due to wife factor. But I most love her agility, having a very effective kit with a limited number of arte shortcuts, insanely good Ice Needle and Blizzard, and basically ubiquitous usefulness through the entire game. I love her and want her to slap me really hard.
>Lilith
Favorite thing is her, of course, ridiculous combo potential, and ability to hit many single damage types rather than dual types like Chelsea. And most of her artes have clear blind spots forcing you to think harder about positioning. Rainbow Arch is just way way too good and Wake the Dead is a free get-out-of-jail free card.
>Leon w/o DLZ
Ultra frantic, ultra frail. Dominate the whole battlefield while moving like a squirrel on a freeway, and die as quickly as one too. He's pretty awesome to control... for a little bitch.
>Mary
BIG hits. Extremely loud glass shattering sound effects as she pokes enemies and throws them away like Dalis's condoms. But getting at flying enemies feels as effective as if I were to go and swing an axe at a bird in real life.
>Woodrow
The most stylish. The pleasure of Crush Fang > Sword Rain Alpha > Gleam. I've come to realize he's actually more fun to watch yourself play than to actually play. I'm not really sure how to explain that. While I find him impractical for a lot of the game, I would often just use him for fun.

(continued)
>>
>>2364722
Ass knight is fine, tyvm
>>
>>2365954
>Stahn
Actually I feel like I should give Stahn another runthrough sometime since I only discovered the insanity of Infernal Torrent in the last 10 hours. But that's kind of my problem with him, his arte list is so massive and versatile it feels like you're missing out on something great no matter what you put on it.
>Leon w/ DLZ
You can't lose anymore. It's more like a bulldozer on a freeway. It feels like the game taking the piss. But there's still a perverse enjoyment in it, at least.
>Chelsea
I love the idea of her. But I wonder if I'm just not capable of the execution. Probably unkillable in more skilled hands, but if I had to describe her in 1 word, it'd be "precarious." Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have enough stress in my life.
>Kongman
The amount of times that I've whiffed Falcon Fledge and Hip Drop considering the size of their hitboxes is, frankly, embarrassing. He's got like 5 artes you should regularly use and that's it, but they're pretty versatile at least and he feels second best against fliers behind Stahn.
>Philia
Just too many artes to choose from, too stationary, and too high of a skill ceiling for me. I already know from videos of people significantly better than me that she can be literally unstoppable. But for me to have fun, I have to duke it out personally at least a little bit.
>Johnny
The only character whose save file I used holy bottles during simply to avoid battles because they were getting so boring. Every boss battle won with a 400-hit combo was a phyrric victory. In the very first chat after he rejoins you, he says, "I should've joined you sooner." M A W A R E is also an I Win button, but a significantly more annoying and insipid one. I had to use his narikiri doll for so long that when he joined for real I forgot to actually control the real him until the Swordian Institute.

Next time I might write about the top 10 most annoying enemies in the entire game. Next time I might keep it to one post.
>>
>>2365547
And you're one of them, dipshit.
>>
>>2365960
>The amount of times that I've whiffed Falcon Fledge and Hip Drop considering the size of their hitboxes is, frankly, embarrassing.
Falcon Fledge is something you should only use on bigass enemies, a TK starter sounds fun and all until you see just how weird the rising angle is, same for Hikasu Hip, it's more of an air to ground filler/finisher than a combo starter, you really need to learn to aim it if you want to use it on ground, and even there the start up is too lengthy to be good.
Though to be honest there's no reason to use Falcon Fledge when Great Upper is a thing, Rhomb Shoulder and Bolt Thrust are the superior ground openers anyway so Kongman should stick to those when he's not airborne.
>>
File: 60591838_p0.png (226 KB, 608x304)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>2366318
>>
>>2346454
>Xillia's worldbuilding
If you're going to play, or are already playing X2, I hope you didn't get too attached to it through the first one.
>>
>>2364608
I just liked her because she actually felt normal
>>
>still no PC version of Graces F or Xillia 1/2
Before someone says "just emulate", I still have my ps3, I can play them if I want, but maybe I don't want them trapped on that machine
>>
>>2365062
Just play while watching Lanyn's translation playthrough alongside it.
>>
>>2365125
Rebirth is, how do I put it? It felt like there was a childhood friend of the game's writer who was a hafu that got bullied a lot, and it made them want to write a story about how you shouldn't be ashamed for being the children of an interracial marriage.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (405 KB, 1436x1080)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>2366426
Xillia 2, and what it tries to do with the story, reminds me a lot of the Star Trek TNG episode Parallels, which is an episode people either like or utterly despise.
Basically Worf experiences parallel universes seeing how just one minor change radically alters not just his life but the lives of those around him and near the end there's a shot of 285,000 different Enterprises all showing a different path in Worf's life. People either love it for the "what if" aspect, or hate it because it means your choices mean nothing because in another reality you just chose the other decision.
>>
>>2366467
That's a miserable way to experience a game, especially considering the translation is only months away at this point.
>>
>>2366496
>especially considering the translation is only months away at this point.
I wasn't aware of that
>>
>>2366496
It's the only option we had for over a decade anon. It was that or learn Jap
>>
File: WHY.jpg (17 KB, 288x499)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>game review
>look at how beautiful Arise is!
>actual game
>just a tiny corridor passing through all these beautiful places
>>
>>2366485
Wasn’t there a similar thing with Q and Picard? It’s been a long time but I thought that one was good
>>
>>2366499
If you cared enough, you would have learned the language. If not, there are more than enough translated games to keep you occupied forever before you go to the length of putting yourself through a shitty experience just to say you've played this specific game. That's what I think anyways.
>>
>>2366538
I played d2 like that and it's really not that bad. Sometimes you want to play a specific game and "just learn the language" is way easier said than done.
>>
>>2366534
Yes the episode Tapestry, but that was closer to an "It's a Wonderful Life" thing where Picard would find out what happened if he didn't take chances in life and never got stabbed through the chest by that Nausicaan. And it turns out he would've lived a completely unremarkable life without achieving anything if he never took chances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU
I only went through TNG for the first time last year so it's all really fresh in my mind, I wish I wasn't too young as a kid to have seen it as it aired, my first ST was Voyager
>>
File: unknown.png (34 KB, 466x377)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
From the Famitsu article

Others include
>Which episode of the Main Story left a huge impression on you?
>The Night Before the Departure to Lenegis - The scene where Shionne tells the whole truth behind her thorns to the party. Voters loved how Shionne finally broke down and expressed her feelings to her friends, with Alphen embracing her and the addition of "Hello, Again" to the background.
>The Fight with Vholran up to the 2nd Opening - Defeating Vholran as the last lord, up to the sudden playing of the 2nd opening. This part brought relief to players that the game wasn't over just yet, and the 2nd opening by Ayaka was a wonderful addition. It was also reminiscent of how the older games handled dividing the main games into two solid arcs.
>Zephyr's Execution - One of the voters wished he was playable all throughout. Alas, it was not meant to be.
In Front of Almeidrera - The scene where Law stops Rinwell from attacking Almeidrea with rage.
>Regained Pain and Memories - The scene where Alphen talks to the party about his regained memories.
>Menancia's Ideals vs The Reality - The scene where the truth behind Menancia's treatment ward is made known to Dohalim.

>What was your most memorable scene in battle?
>VS Ganabelt - Specifically when he started casting Indignation.
>VS Vholran - Looking back, players found this a cool fight to start off the Sovereign vs Sovereign thing that Alphen and Vholran have.
>VS Dohalim - A simple fight, but one player laments he/she used up all of the items they have.

>Favorite Arte?
Incineration Wave (Alphen)
Dragon Swarm (Alphen)
Demon Fang (Alphen)
Shooting Star (Rinwell)
Crescent Flash (Dohalim)
>>
>>2366718
>Which is your favorite Subquest or Skit?
>The Great Pancake Contest skit - The skit where Rinwell, Shionne and Dohalim have a pancake making contest, with Kisara as the judge. It's one of the most hilarious parts in the game, and we uploaded it awhile back on our YouTube (check above).
>Her Place - The subquest where Kisara feels as if she's no longer needed by the party since they've all matured. Dohalim comforts her, and sort of proposes? It's unclear.
>Farewell, Mage - The subquest where Rinwell and party save a man who heavily discriminates against Rinwell being a mage, but Dohalim defends her.
>Their Future - The subquest where Dohalim weds a Dahnan and Renan couple, with Shionne missing the bouquet toss. Alphen to the rescue! Sort of.
>The Dive at Aureum Falls - The hilarious scene where Dohalim dives down the waterfall with Law and Rinwell.

>Favorite Boost Strike?
>Radiant Genesis - Dohalim and Rinwell - The combined power of light and dark, Dahnan and Renan artes is cool, says one player.
>Red Hot Burning Strike - Shionne and Law - It was nice to see a Boost Strike pay homage to one of the older artes in the series.
>Impact Cross - Dohalim and Alphen
>Flaming Swing - Alphen and Shionne
>>
>>2366725
Lastly, what more do you want to see about the game?
>Additional story DLC, or DLC of character episodes
>DLC about Vholran or Alphen's pasts
>Hootle pancake merchandise...?
>Multiplayer
>Figures of each character fighting the Lords, i.e. Rinwell vs Almeidrea, Law vs >Ganabelt
>Some players say the game was concluded beautifully, but a sequel is always welcome
>Anime adaptation
>>
>>2366725
>Which is your favorite subquest or skit?
>all of them feature Dohalim
I chuckled
>>
What's the appeal of Dohalim? I thought Japan hated dark skinned characters.
>>
>>2366744
Japan is not 4chan friend, and delicious brown has always been a popular nip fetish
>>
>>2366718
If Shionne is second place for this poll, then why did Alphen get third and Shionne only got 11th for the entire tales roster poll?
the top ten is entirely male if I recall correctly
>>
>>2366751
>delicious brown has always been a popular nip fetish
Try saying that to the previous brown characters in Tales.
>>
>>2366757
Famitsu readerbase and TalesFes fanbase are different people
>>
>>2366758
>Raven
>Emil (does he count?)
>Reid
>Veigue
All made the Top 30 of the most recent Talesfes poll and are brown.
>>
>>2366758
Meredy still has many fans in Japan despite being brown
>>
File: eternia.jpg (571 KB, 3069x1678)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
>>2366767
Who doesn't love Meredy?
>>
Wasn't there a planned sequel to Legendia or something that ended up getting cancelled? Maybe they can use a remaster/remake as an excuse to try that again
>>
>>2366787
Zoomers who don't want to play her game and don't know her charms
>>
File: legendiacafe.jpg (1.61 MB, 2828x4175)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>2366792
Sword of Legendia... please don't remind me.
>>
>>2366787
Tall loli
Black
>>
>>2366766
I would say so.

>>2366792
>>2366809
A hokey Wii spin-off game would be Legendia's fate, wouldn't it.
>>
File: 1642135088368.jpg (151 KB, 1087x623)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
How the hell did Arise beat all of those titles?
>>
>>2366758
Loni is overshadowed by Judas (who would dominate any game you placed him into), but he definitely has some fans. Woodrow is part of the most bloated casts in the series, which also has fucking Leon in it. Barbatos is genuinely pretty popular for an antagonist, though it IS all memes. Forest is from a game that's widely considered the worst game in the series. Senel is also from an unpopular game. Zaveid is from a game that would be unpopular without fujos, but fujos don't really have any good ships for him short of like, Eizen, who doesn't really have any presence to begin with.

I guess Mary doesn't have any excuses, but her character design is so heavily Amazonian that I'd be surprised if she was popular even if she was pale.
>>
>>2366826
>I guess Mary doesn't have any excuses, but her character design is so heavily Amazonian that I'd be surprised if she was popular even if she was pale.
Kisara showed that Mary as a pale woman wouldn't be popular either
>>
File: recentbadgecollection.jpg (1.93 MB, 4479x3152)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>2366813
>A hokey Wii spin-off game would be Legendia's fate, wouldn't it.
Pretty much. The irony is the game silently getting cancelled.
>>
>>2366809
>>2366813
>>2366835
What I find weird is how they kept saying that it wasn't actually gonna be a Tales-related game. Why even call it that then? Its not like Legendia is some commonly-used name, obviously people would assume its a Tales game when it has the exact same made-up word in the title.
>>
>>2366832
Kisara and Mary have pretty different appeals, but yeah, any older woman where they actually lean into that flops.
>>
File: newpostersss.jpg (417 KB, 2448x3264)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
>>2366840
The whole time period, from being announced to the abrupt cancelation, reeked of nonsense. Aside from the one character portrait, an older female knight resembling Chloe, I don't believe anything else surfaced about the game.
>>
Chat deserves love. She's even Inomata's favorite Eternia.
>>
File: IMG_0566.jpg (3.07 MB, 4608x3456)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>2366866
>>
File: Efny0SmU4AIZE3Y.jpg (510 KB, 2048x1682)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
>>2366864
I didn't even know we got that much; it was just text on GameFaqs to me.
>>
File: framedpainting2016.jpg (651 KB, 3410x2322)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>>2366878
I obviously followed the information the best I could, seeing as Legendia is my favourite game. I remember it being announced alongside Fragile Dreams and another Tales game--turned out to be Dawn of the New World. After that, it was "it's still in development" for a couple of years until it faded into obscurity, and ultimately canceled.
>>
>>2366718
More important than >>2366744 Why don't Nips like Kisara? She's the only character I see that's liked in NA
>>
Velvet is still number 1
>>
>>2366955
Older women never appeal to the nips, that's why girls like Judy, Grune, Ines, etc. are not popular and Kisara isn't an exception. She's very popular among westerners because of her hot strong mommy type which is a hit among them.
>>
>>2366975
>>2366955
Kisara is boring. It's not about them hating older women characters since Christmas cakes and big sister/wine aunt characters are common in Japanese fiction for a reason.
>>
>>2366866
Chat sucks and I'm not saying that because she's black.
>>
>>2367044
having dark skin ≠ being black
>>
>>2366975
This mama is one of the most popular character to ever grace Graces.
>>
>>2367051
She still sucks.
>>
No one ever talks about Hubert anywhere.
>>
>>2367062
I love him, but a major brat.
>>
File: hu-kun.jpg (227 KB, 2500x2000)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>2367062
To be fair, how often are you seeing people talk about Graces from any angle other than solely the combat?
>>
>>2367054
Is she really? I thought jp fandom liked Cheria and Asbel, and western fandom liked Richard and Asbel.
>>
>>2367120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymLluPY-ig

Has one of the best openings?
>>
>>2367125
I like Graces a lot but its opening has neither the best song nor the best animation. It's one of the few we have English lyrics to though and it is fun to sing along with.
>>
>>2367130
>English lyrics

The English and Japanese are completely different songs lyric wise.
>>
>>2367133
It's lyrics that are in English and official, I never said it was a translation. I actually didn't know that, though.
>>
>>2367124
She's a popular villain. Shows up in the gacha games a lot.
>>
>>2367162
>not playable in rays
>no presence in link
>has some asteria cards I guess
>no presence in crestoria
>Shows up in the gacha games a lot
what did he mean by this
>>
>>
>>2367190
lick tummy
>>
Why doesn't Alphen have lifesteal
>>
>>2367190
The only good thing in that fucking anime
>>
>>2367181
Asteria is the only Tales gacha that matters.
>>
>>2367287
Asteria is a questionable gauge for popularity.
>>
>>2367289
At least they issue frequent questionnaires asking what units people like/want, so it might be a better gauge than Rays that goes with whatever the producers like.
>>
>>2367291
Rays does questionnaires too, and just casts a huge net in general. Asteria has a strange Hasta fixation for no reason, so it's not immune to bias. Doesn't Emeraude mainly have Asteria shit because she got used in the Asteria plot?
>>
>>2367125
I don’t know if I have a straight tier list in my head, but Abyss and Innocence (not R), and probably Vesperia and Destiny 2 and Zestiria are a tier or two above it
>>
File: 3534t5.png (412 KB, 441x576)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>
Breed with rinwell
>>
>>2367293
Rays has fixed results. Used to anyway. Like their first "poll" when Ludger was in 1st by a mile. Then Velvet, who wasn't even in the top 5, (i dont even remember if she was in the top 10) comes out of nowhere ahead of him by the same amount he was just ahead of 2nd on the last day. 2nd was Asbel I believe.

Next day they have pictures of her story ready to go and Ludger comes at Christmas with Milla/Elize alt and Julius way after everybody else in the top 10 already came out.

The there's Mithos where they came out with this "we changed the story because he won" Bullshit.( Everybody already knows Mithos is going to win a villain poll) He was already in the story beforehand and his event story took place in the story arc that came a year later.
>>
>>2367190
Ever since Alisha left the party I've been feeling a bit horny for Rose.
>>
>horse meat
Are you serious
>>
>>2363150
seriously, where is xillias remaster?
>>
>>2367544
Only a bit?
>>
>>2367683
Horse meat is godly, anybody who didn't taste a horse steak in their life never truly lived.
But I guess you'd prefer MUTTON, FRESH MUTTON
>>
>>2367190
I wanted to like Dezel but his tragic backstory is so fucking stupid
>>
>>2367829
Maybe a bit more.
>>
>>2367054
I don't even remember what her plan was anymore, it's been so long.
>>
I hate Renan so much
>>
File: 1632122540698.jpg (322 KB, 1920x1080)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>2369134
>>
>People still claiming that Alisha got usurped from her positioning as main heroine
I don't really care for Zestiria but why do people still harp over which irrelevant girl got to be the main heroine? They really should have just made Mikleo into a girl.
>>
>>2369293
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>2368892
Using a tortured Fodra automaton to restore her lost civilization and rule the world. Putting it real loosely because I haven't played it for a long time either.
>>
>>2368892
Wasn't it something along the lines of using Lambda and Sophie to become all powerful only to fail because Lambda hates her and Sophie got an actual personality?
>>
>>2369293
Alisha is girl Flynn
>>
>>2369331
She has the potential to be a female Flynn, what a waste.
>>
>>2369293
>Alisha
Who?
>>
>>2369361
Some Saber-clone NPC, no one worth arguing over
>>
>>2369379
But Saber was a main character...
>>
>>2369293
Who the fuck is Alisha? Some chick who dropped out of the Top 30 and got replaced by Rose?
>>
>>2369383
You know when you're a spoilt child and your parents get you the "wrong" Christmas present but you have to keep it for a few months until you can get the one you wanted?
That's alisha
>>
>>2369385
She's more like the Christmas present you think will be amazing without actually doing any research into what it does, so when it gets there and it's hot shit, you complain that it's not what you wanted.
>>
>>2369357
No, she is. Shitty boring blonde knight with a character arc that requires her to not be in the party with fans who lost their shit because they weren't in the party.
>>
>>2369419
Don't forget to mention thatthen they retconned their relevance with ToV definitive edition and ToZX. Go figure huh
>>
Alishahaters coming out of their smelly, autistic bungholes.
>>
Literally no one was talking about Alisha, you fucking schizo.
>>
File: velvet.jpg (38 KB, 340x567)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
velvet
>>
edna
>>
>>2369569
no
>>
>>2369570
yes
>>
File: 22.png (354 KB, 581x422)
354 KB
354 KB PNG
>>2369567
is a shotacon!
>>
File: mistress.png (368 KB, 740x1038)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>2369635
>oh you're a pirate? what do you steal
virginity
>>
Flat ass + Flat tits = Perfection
>>
Bersaria question: Innominat is not actually Laphicet, correct? He just has access to his memories and uses them to mess with Velvet?
>>
>>2369650
its kinda a mix of innominat prior to this sacrifice + laphicet (OG) who reincarnates
>>
>>2369655
So it is said somewhere in the game that it is explicitly reincarnation, not just that Innominat has his body as a vessel + his memories?
>>
>>2369650
I thought he was just an asshole messing with Velvet at the beginning, but towards the end it seems there was still something of the actual original Laphicet in it, his feelings and his thoughts, just too twisted
>>
>>2369650
I don't think it's ever made clear. I think with how these things generally work in the setting, though, I'd lean towards genuinely being Laphi, even if only partially.
>>
>>2369691
there's definitely reincarnation but it's not just that with innominat since he already exists
>>
>>2369533
Alisha is shit so it's not surprising all discussion about her stirs it
>>
>>2364832
Most boring response I ever could imagine and yet they would like to know the papers intruiging false spelled lettered check teacher boooooooo!
>>
>>2369567
Is the worst girl in her own game. Sad
>>
File: 55623838_p33.png (269 KB, 700x683)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>2369293
Meebo would have mogged the other girls too much.
>>
File: unknown.png (54 KB, 409x328)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>2369794
>>
>>2369357
She really wasn't, she was Estelle without any of Estelle's self awareness.
>>
so in arise, shionne's ancestor passed down the thorns. but if she had the thorns, how did she and her children fuck? no one is fucking someone with thorns.
>>
>>2369872
Did you pay attention to the plot? They said that its a curse that grew stronger over time.
>>
>arise is the best tales games since symphonia
>hated here
i love how contrarian i can always count on these generals to be
>>
>>2369883
Why would you claim a game is the best in a series you haven't played all the games in?
>>
Vholran was such a weak antagonist, his character was really not explored at all, and while him just dying at the end of his normal section wouldn't have made him a good character or what he was built up to be, having him thrown in later made it even worse. He was definitely the weakest part of Arise.
>>
>>2369892
I'm still angry they wasted Hayami's double dip on that piece of garbage.
>>
Elanor is like the worst girl of all time
>>
>>2369844
>Mikleo, your boobs have gotten bigger ~<3 (Sorey)
>T-That's because you rub them all the time... / Ahn <3
>>
>>2369896
That fucker is Sho Hayami? I usually play dub...

Some seiyuu have gotten to triple dip, like Morikawa, so maybe we'll hear him again...
>>
>>2369892
him killing whatshername was cool
>>
>>2369883
As commonly said, Abyss, Vesperia, and Bersaria are also contenders for great/best Tales games, but yeah, Arise is the Persona 5 of Tales. It is a game that has flaws you can point out of course, but it still is good game overall even if people hyperexaggerate the flaws here (either in terms of criticizing things that aren't actually objective flaws, or alternatively acting like the actual flaws are more damning to the game's quality than they actually are)
>>
File: 92619413_p40.png (845 KB, 953x1347)
845 KB
845 KB PNG
>>2369946
Clever Sorey
>>
>>2369974
>Vesperia and Berseria

I'd prefer Graces and Xillia 2 but I know how divisive those games are.
>>
>>2370044
I don't dislike those games, but yeah, they have divisive elements to them (namely story and/or characters).
>>
>>2369903
You take that back you son of a BITCH
>>
>>2370044
They aren't any more divisive than Vesperia and Berseria are.
>>
>>2370044
People have started to warm up to those two games. Probably because much worse have come after them.
>>
>>2369779
Everything alright, anon?
>>
>>2369883
I don't hate Arise, but it's not a favorite and I'd also rather not bring it up when it only attracts shitposters and schizos.
>>
>>2369883
>>arise is the best tales games
It's not a Tales game at all
>>
>>2369974
The games that most people prop up are Symphonia, Vesperia, Destiny DC and Xillia 2. Granted the last one is mostly because of its combat.
>>
File: 1621685982272.gif (254 KB, 220x220)
254 KB
254 KB GIF
>>2369947
>I usually play dub...
bruh
>>
>>2370095
They are divisive if you claim them to be top Tales games (since the stories and/or characters are widely considered weaker than average). If you claim they are middling or bad, they are not divisive since not many will argue against that opinion.
>>
>>2370419
>Xillia 2
Absolutely not. It's Abyss followed by Bersaria in that spot. You only *sometimes* see Graces or Xillia 2 on people's top lists if they have a more lopsided weight towards gameplay versus story & characters than the average person (because those two games are widely considered to have good gameplay, but bad story or characters, in contrast to Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia/Bersaria which have a more balanced quality balance between gameplay and story/characters - although the first two games have dated gameplay by this point to a degree). It's perfectly fine to have that lopsided view, but it is not reflective of the most common rankings.
>>
Started playing Vesperia, its my first tales game and outside of a little knowledge on berseria from a friend I know nothing about the series. It's pretty good so far, but the game has a massive spike in difficulty at Gattuso. Im at level 13 and the only other fight to give me actual trouble before now was with the first boss in the castle
>>
Xillia 2 has amazing story/characters
It's one of the best in the series in that regard
>>
I wonder what kind of person who'd rate Innocence, Legendia or Eternia as their top 5.
>>
>>2370438
Gattuso is a meme at this point for the difficulty spike. Everyone acknowledges he is overtuned.

>>2370443
This is a hot take according to most.
>>
>>2370444
Eternia i can see why but legendia...
>>
>>2370444
I have Innocence in my top 5... I'm a character-biased person
>>
For me personally, my top 5 of the games I have played are Arise > Vesperia = Abyss > Bersaria > Symphonia (the top 3 are extremely close to each other). If I were trying to rank them while trying to be "objective", the order might be slightly different, but that is subjectively how I feel.
>>
>>2370457
I can see whats good about Abyss but for the life of me i could never touch it again after the shitty dub
>>
>>2370444
Eternia is in mine. It has been rated as #1 or top 5 in polls for favorite Tales game in Japan in the past so it's not a strange opinion. I'm probably just older than you so 2D games are not foreign to me the way they are to younger people.
>>
>>2370444
What is there to dislike about Eternia? It's one of the most impressive games in the series. It's incredibly complete with no major flaws and plenty of forward thinking ideas that not even later games followed up on.
>>
>>2370459
I am still hoping they give a proper remaster/port, presumably with dual audio options (especially since the Japanese version voices more lines)
>>
>>2370461
I'm 30. I'm just bringing up a hypothetical that is not shared by the majority.

>>2370464
It's just not a popular pick. Though I could've replaced it with a true unloved stepchild like Rebirth and still had the same effect.
>>
>>2370464
Don't people find the game just underwhelming overall? Not awful, but not exceeding in anything either. It's like a lesser Xillia 1, I guess would be the common opinion, where doesn't particularly fail, but isn't good enough to commonly be considered a top game.
>>
>>2370461
>>2370464
I doubt it has been played that much, one of few playstation game that didnt get worse over the years, the gameplay great too, only minus is the soundtrack

>>2370465
I kinda liked the dorky eng voice acting like symphonia instead of the overly serious shitty dub from abyss and vesperia but dual audio is a guarantee nowadays
>>
>>2370469
>Don't people find the game just underwhelming overall
"People" in general on western sites have not played Eternia, nor any other 2D entries, including Legendia.
>>
>>2370468
>It's just not a popular pick.
Because most people here haven't even played it.
>>
>>2370469
https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/260.html
As the other anons said nobody over here's played it. Go read the japanese consensus on the games.
>>
>>2370469
>It's like a lesser Xillia 1
Eternia is considered a classic in Japan and where a lot of the later games got their ideas (and did them better the first time around).
>>
What is Japan's opinion on the DS Tales games?
>>
>>2370491
>>>2ch
>>
>>2370497
What?
>>
>>2370500
Do you know what 2ch is?
>>
>>2370504
4chanx formatted your link funny. Regardless, their threads update like molasses.
>>
>>2370489
What is the difference between ク (which I assume stands for kuso/shit) and スルメ? And does なし mean no determination can be made or that it is mid?

Wow, they like Legendia?
>>
>>2370507
>4chanx
yikes
its broken on vanilla 4chan anyway
>>
>>2370511
I see no other alternative that makes this site actually usable.
>>
File: 220114031343.jpg (109 KB, 773x860)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>2370508
Acquired taste.
>>
>>2370515
They think Legendia is good, but Rebirth is an acquired taste?
>>
>>2370526
Also, I missed them marking Abyss as 賛否両論 "mixed opinions" whereas Legendia was just plain 良 "good". Is this website accurate?
>>
>>2370508
Surumege is something that gets better the more you play it/understand the mechanics or logic behind it.
>>
>>2370531
You're asking if an imageboard of anonymous outcasts who can say whatever they want for any reason is "accurate?"
>>
>>2370531
it's on the internet it must be true
>>
>>2369974
>Berseria
Only people who’ve played 2 tales games max
>>
>>2370540
That is most people.
>>
>>2370540
What is so bad about Bersaria that would make you discard it as among the top games?
>>
>>2370531
Opinions in Japan aren't the same as they are among Western Tales players. There are more detailed opinions in the 賛否両論点 and 問題点 sections. For example, when Abyss came out a lot of people were turned off by how edgy it was compared to other Tales games and they found the characters hard to like. It was also very buggy compared to the previous games and had long loading times.
>>
>>2370533
>BOF: Dragon Quarter
>スルメ
Yeah, sounds about right.
>>
>>2370531
Japanese Abyss was really buggy even for this series to be fair. Read the page, the things Japan finds controversial about Abyss are the same things you hear around here.

>>2370547
What you think is so good about Berseria?
>Battle system feels like shit, souls are probably the worst implementation of CC
>The arte chain is an awful idea, looking up the enemies weaknesses and mapping it to one button isn't fun
>It's ugly as shit with big empty kmmo fields filled with loud monsters and shiny things to collect with no rhyme or reason or straight line caves
>Atrocious equipment system, collecting a million copies of the same calcite weapon to grind skills which let you do 0.3% more damage to wolves is incredibly unsatisfying
>Pacing is all over the place with sections where you just watch infodump skits for an hour because there's no money for cutscenes
>>
>>2370547
It’s the FFXIII of Tales Games - all flash and no substance.
>Thoroughly mediocre story which just becomes a bad one and stays that way once you start looking for Hellions
>Combat which starts off as maybe interesting, but very quickly becomes extremely lackluster and tedious as it becomes “match the xyz-attack combo on the xyz enemy” made worse by the limitations of the soul system (and this is all characters, not just velvet to be clear)
>No memorable music
>Counterintuitive and annoying equiptment system
>Forced skits every 5 steps which ruins flow and also the fun of skits
>Shitty hallway dungeons redux
>Possibly the worst cast of side characters in any of the English-available games
>Literal waiting game mini-game
>Terrible costumes
>Probably other stuff as well which contributed
It all adds up to making it a lot less enjoyable of a game than most other Tales games
>>
>>2370526
There's one thing you need to know about the ゲームカタログ, and that's that they have literal alien concepts of difficulty. Rebirth is labeled スルメゲー because of their perceived difficulty in getting the battle system, but it's actually really easy to understand and utilize (if you want to heal, lower your RG, if you want to use ougis, raise your RG)
>>
>>2370563
>Literal waiting game mini-game
I saw what you fucking did there.
>>
>>2370563
How is the equiptment system counterintuitive and annoying?
>>
File: NPJH50353_00008.png (329 KB, 1440x816)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
Cute villain
>>
>>2370438
Just beat him, literally only needed one more level for Destruction Field
>>
>>2370580
Upgrade/ material system leads to the result that equiptment is something to build up and invest in - you make A into A+++++ and (if you could financially do that, which isn’t really a thing until near the end of the game or if you grind an ungodly amount) should theoretically feel good about that. However, since learning new skills is also toed to weapons, often you run into the case where you’re forced to switch out the A++++++ to a B, and lose all of your investment for what is essentially a downgrade. And that feels like shit, even though 900 equiptment points later you can be finished with your B++++++, have a 1.08 resistance to Burns, and are forced to do the same when you switch to C.
They took two functional ideas for equipment progression which work on their own and put them together, but it doesn’t work because the two ideas go in different direction, making their mixed one feel unsatisfying pretty much all the time.
>>
>>2370471
>only minus is the soundtrack
Eternia had some good tracks though. That was before Sakuraba started phoning everything in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFik-cXqLkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4uJedUQf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Es6Ic8cR9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGn2AE90o4
>>
>>2370563
>>2370600
Better than Arise's nonexistant equipment system
>>
Please tell me vesperia lets me guard quicker eventually, it feels so delayed that I can rarely get any use from it
>>
>>2370548
>>2370552
It's ironic how Abyss is now one of the most beloved Tales games.
>>
>>2370807
Learn manual canceling, there should be a tutorial for it in the menus
>>
>>2370807
Guard in Vesperia is useless, it's not Graces.
>>
>>2370811
I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip
>>
>>2370755
Why do you feel the need to interject that? I never said Arise was better, I never even brought it up
>>
File: image919497701.png (152 KB, 768x768)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>2370585
lol
>>
>>2370471
>Minus the soundtrack
But Eternia is in the era when Sakuraba was actually good and not lazy. Eternia is just a solid game overall if a bit dated, to point that a lot of games just crib off Eternia.
>>
>>2370811
Okey now I have the problem with the game constantly making me jump because of manual mode changing it to up
>>
Does Vesperia's early-mid game really feel this rough? Currently at the Guild City and it still feels like the game still hasn't let the player fully use the combat system
>>
>>2371486
>He hasn't gotten to Judith
She's gonna be benched for like 90% of the game
>>
>>2371486
I was about to say the same thing, Im a little further ahead in the tower with the new party member and it feels like the game expects way more out of me than I actually have. Idk if I'm just bad or what, but that 1 v 8 fight was absolute hell to go through, and the stuff after isnt much easier for me.
>>
>>2371486
Vesperia is really bad at it.

The fancy stuff you see people posted about the game's combat can only happen at the end of 2nd act.
You're going to hate how Judith plays due to how limited she can do.
>>
>>2371491
>Most of her artes aren't aerial enabled until like 200 uses
>Most of her aerial skills are backloaded and are SP heavy
Judith basically doesn't start functioning until the end of the game/NG+.
>>
>>2371491
More like 100% if she feels like deadweight since the only way you can make use of her is enabling her artes to be aerial
>>
>>2371515
>>2371510
If you want to use an aerial character, you use the dog.
>>
>>2371518
I played Repede for the entire game and he's much better on the ground, his aerial artes just don't link into each other very well. Actually, most of his artes don't link into each other that well
>>
>>2371526
>Actually, most of his artes don't link into each other that well
Welcome to Vesperia. Whiffing is the name of the game.
>>
>>2371563
also known as

Play as Rita. The game
>>
File: 2.png (259 KB, 504x495)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>
I'd rather play as Velvet, the game
>>
>>2371568
Play Estelle. There’s enough other healing around (Karol, Raven (arguably becomes a better one than her), Yuri, Flynn, Patty) that you don’t have to focus that, and she’s a very fun character just as a tanky melee
>>
Who the hell design the fishing minigame in Arise
Its funnily awful
>>
>>2372201

>>2370540
>>
File: 1.png (156 KB, 462x541)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>2372225
not anon but i've played 3, checkmate
>>
File: 342897.png (651 KB, 1169x716)
651 KB
651 KB PNG
>>2372229
well 4 but crestoria doesn't count
>>
>>2371486
Vesperia only STARTS to open up when you begin chasing Alexei, which is basically 60-70% into the game.
>>
I've beaten Phantasia PS1, Destiny DC, Symphonia, Abyss, Xillia 1, Graces f, Berseria, and Arise. I dropped Vesperia like 2/3 of the way through, and Xillia 2 and Eternia like 1/3 of the way through. When does this series get good?
>>
I just got Flynn.

Maybe I'm just really bad at playing Yuri/Karol/Repede but I find Flynn the easiest out of the melees.
>>
Full Famitsu Interview Details
https://www.abyssalchronicles.com/news/tales-of-arise-producer-yusuke-tomizawa-discusses-3d-cg-vs-2d-anime-style-remakes-tales-of-series-30th-anniversary-and-more-in-famitsu-interview

>Fan: After Shionne is kidnapped, she dresses in black. Did Vholran prepare these clothes? Was Vholran the one who changed her clothes for her?

>Tomizawa: Uhhh, please leave that as a "mystery" for now. *laughs*

So it seems she did get raped.
>>
>>2372289
Flynn plays like a classic Tales swordsman. That's why you found him easy.

At least they made him permanent in Definitive
>>
>>2372241
Maybe Tempest is the game for you.
>>
>>2372241
Berseria
>>
>>2372303
There's no way she actually was. Vholran is an autist who doesn't care about that shit. He only wanted to draw and enrage Alphen to go after him. The interviewee just couldn't think up of how to say a maid changed her clothing without them being hurt.
>>
>>2372371
so it's either a plothole or he stripped her
>>
>>2372371
The only person Vholran wanted to rape was Alphen and Alphen alone
>>
>>2372371
But it was shown that Vholran was the only person able to endure Shionne's thorns so he seems the likeliest person to strip her and have his way with her (possibly just to piss off Alphen) and leave her completely mind broken. I dunno I think the implications are all there.
>>
>>2372303
Also, it seems that they're targeting 2025 for the next entry to celebrate the 30th anniversary. I think it would be pretty lame if every new game from now on are released on anniversary years. They should create a second team or maybe steal the Scarlet Nexus team to have Tales games out more frequently (not yearly, maybe every two years).
>>
>>2369974
Berseria is absolutely not in the running for the best Tales game kek. Honestly the only people who I ever see rate this game so highly are newcomers to the series that haven’t played much of the old ones. The tone in this game and is all over the place and it sucks. The Yakuza series is a great example of how to balance silly and serious stuff, Berseria fails horribly here. I’ve played every mainline Tales entry, Berseria is easily in my bottom 3 or 5
>>
I want to play Phantasia for the first time, what's the best way to play it (i.e. ports, hacks, re-translations)?

Assume I have any hardware needed.
>>
>>2372650
Learn Japanese and play the version included in Narikiri Dungeon X
>>
>>2372461
Vholran doesn't care about anything beyond proving that he's better than Alphen. Shionne got triggered because Alphen's attempt to rescue her failed because he suddenly gained the ability to feel pain and he winced in response to touching her after being the only person who was capable of touching her safely in her entire life up to that point.
Literally just look her facial expression in that cutscene.
>>
>>2372714
vholren is the kind of incel who would pursue shionne only because alphen is with her
>>
>>2372750
Ironically enough this would mean that it's unlikely that Vholran raped Shionne since Alphen couldn't even touch her while Vholran could and that was enough to hurt Alphen and have Vholran something that he could do that Alphonso couldn't. If Allen could still touch Shinnecock or would have been a different story.
>>
>>2372775
way too long convoluted reasoning
>>
>>2372402
>>2372461
The writers didn't bother to actually come up with a definite explanation for how her clothing got changed, but it could be either (1) a maid did change her clothing, perhaps with some Renan wardrobe technology that doesn't require them to actually touch her (2) Vholran did physically undress her, but as an autist, he had no sexual desire and just "platonically" changed her clothing (3) they put her in a room and gave her the dress and told her to change into it.

My guess would be option 1.
>>
>>2372461
>he seems the likeliest person to strip her and have his way with her (possibly just to piss off Alphen)
He is the most able to do that, but that only has a damaging effect if Alphen learns about it. There is no point in raping her if he can't use that fact to make Alphen mad, and since he doesn't try to rage bait Alphen with that suggestion, it seems unlikely that he did. Also we know she wasn't mindbroken from some rape. She was mindbroken thinking she was lost the only person in her life she ever met that could touch her (aside from Vholran obviously but she doesn't like him).
The "fear" that he did something was there, yes. Law even brings up the idea, but Shionne doesn't have any recollection of such a thing, and Vholran doesn't have a motive to do it (unless he really wanted to make Alphen mad, but like I said, in that case, he would have taunted Alphen with that fact, or Alphen would have learned of it from Shionne)
>>
1. Did the the 3DS port of Abyss contain any additions or improvements?
2. What should I play first, Phantasia or Destiny 1?
>>
>>2372968
1. The only improvement is no DVD loading times, but that won't matter if you're emulating.
2. Phantasia
>>
>Shionne being used goods is "up to interpretation"
Alphenbros... he could've saved anything better than this
>>
>>2373569
I don't understand why Tomizawa couldn't have just said straightforwardly that Vholran didn't do it, unless he really wanted to hint that she was raped without having to say it.
>>
DUDES, NO RECURRING GENERALS , INCLUDING THIS ONE! WE MUST FOLLOW RULE 3!
>>
>>2373801
It's weird especially considering Shionne isn't just a character, she's the heroine.....Why leave something that implicative up to suggestion, holy kek
>>
>>2373801
There is a chance that he just doesn't know. He's just the producer, the level of involvement of producers can vary from "very" to "literally not at all"
>>
Shionne is not pure
>>
>>2373868
Tomizawa basically confirmed it
>>
File: IMG_20220111_183636.jpg (309 KB, 1000x1607)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>2373868
Well yeah because Alphen has deflowered her.
>>
>>2373949
Vholran made it easier for Alphen because he helpfully removed Shionne's hymen for him in advance
>>
I don't even know why they published that question at all. It feels like something a eroge franchise would put in a official maniax not fucking Famitsu. What the fuck is Tomizawa doing anymore
>>
>>2373967
If it's revealed that the NTR shit is actually real the angry mob seething over Alisha will look civilized, Bamco will become KyoAni 2.0 and Tomizawa will be the target of assassination.
>>
>>2374379
Curious what nips are saying about it now but 2bqh don't care about Arise enough to find out
>>
>>2374383
But seriously i hope that nigger was just trolling because a story focused on romance between hero and heroine is actually cuckshit? Seriously?
>>
NTR is the top fetish in Japan
>>
File: 1637569373464.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>
They better not insert cuckshit into any upcoming remakes. Just keep the stories as is and do graphical updates.
>>
>>2374420
They better remake Eternia because there's already cuckshit in the game already lmao
>>
Kruelle theme sounds too similar to Namco's Valkyrie.
>>
>>2374388
He said way too much, it was really retarded no matter how you look at it.

You don't leave NTR fantasies "up to interpretation" for a canon couple
>>
File: 1611550171811.jpg (33 KB, 680x380)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2374379
>Bamco will become KyoAni 2.0 and Tomizawa will be the target of assassination.
Can't wait to hope on that timeline
>>
If any game director is going to be assassinated first, it would be Tetsuya Nomura. Tomizawa is a literal who to the general industry.
>>
File: laphicuck 2.png (149 KB, 221x511)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>2374417
>>
File: 1636316837606.jpg (1.21 MB, 3840x2160)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
If you were to rec 5 Tales games to a Tales virgin interested in the series, which ones would you choose?
>>
>>2375054
Eternia
Symphonia
Destiny DC
Graces F
Hearts R
>>
>>2375057
>No Phantasia or Abyss
Drop Graces F and Hearts R for the ones above.
>>
>>2375054
I always cater it to the person I'm talking to, but if Destiny DC is accessible it will almost always be my pick. It's not the absolute best in any category, but it scores well across the board. Sometimes a game that isn't as good can be ideal if it has things the person I'm talking to likes.
>>
>>2375071
>>No Phantasia
Too old and boring for most people, not a good introduction even if we consider X, it's something I'd only recommend to somebody who's already invested in the series and wants to see how it all started.
>Abyss
I can't recommend bad games
>>
>>2375111
>Too old and boring
Anyone who thinks like this is not worth the time.
>Abyss
>Bad
You recommended Graces F.
>>
>>2375115
Nigga don't try to pass off as some connoisseur, nobody cares about Phantasia nowadays, and for good reasons, I wouldn't recommend anyone to play PS1 Destiny either.
>You recommended Graces F.
Yes, a good game.
>>
>>2375122
>don't try to pass off as some connoisseur
I mean who else would be in a thread like this tbf
>>
>>2375122
Yet you recommended Eternia. A game that is of the same generation as OG Destiny. At the very least I'm offering the ones with better stories and characters which are important in a JRPG as much as that shocks you.
>>
>>2375132
>A game that is of the same generation as OG Destiny
Have you ever even seen gameplay of Eternia or are you assuming that it's just as antiquated as Phantasia and Destiny because it's on the PS1
>>
>>2375132
>Yet you recommended Eternia.
You can't possible imply that PS1 Destiny plays as well as Eternia, nobody who actually played those games would.
>At the very least I'm offering the ones with better stories and characters
Ah yes, the game with a bunch of dumb cunts who are written to hate each others for no logical reason and a combat system that is instantly invalidated by the worst implementation of free run in the series, at that point I'd recommend fucking Vesperia.
And who fucking cares about some generic sunday anime bullshit where everyone's an abrasive cunt for no other reason than making the game stand out? There's more value in recommending Abyss for the seiyuu cast than its writing.
>>
>>2375142
You're a gameplay faggot. Go back to streaming on your Twitch.
>>2375141
My personal bias aside (the characters from Eternia dress like shit), it's also a matter of starting from the ground up. Phantasia stands out for being the collective effort of the entire Wolf Team prior the split. You get to see the elements that would stay or drop from the series henceforth.
>>
>>2375154
I don't think a Tales fan would care about the efforts of people who aren't even with the series anymore. SNES Phantasia is a Star Ocean game, not a Tales game.
>>
Games like Symphonia and Xillia are pretty much derivates of Eternia so I'd say that if you don't like Eternia, you're going to have a hard time enjoying Tales.
>>
>>2375154
>You're a gameplay faggot.
Is that supposed to be an insult, lmao
>You get to see the elements that would stay or drop from the series henceforth.
You can see those with pretty much any entry in the series.
Not even DC uses the same weapon system as the original game, the unique monk arte strings rules that Farah uses in Eternia didn't survive Symphonia, much like the strict higi>tokugi>ougi ladder model is something that doesn't exist anymore since decades.
How is Phantasia special in this?
>>
>>2375057
>>2375122
Graces is trash with bland shitty characters that are just worse versions of characters that have existed before them and has the cringiest power of friendship stuff in the entire series. I can’t even recall a single person’s name besides the main character. Graces marked the turning point of modern Tales games as well which makes it even shittier. First one to take out the overworld map and give us interconnected corridors instead, it fucking sucks
>>
>>2375181
I recommended Graces to someone as their first game recently and they've really enjoyed it. It has its flaws but it's a very good introduction to the gameplay and there are some people who will click with the writing even though it's not "good".
>>
>>2375165
They would if they're willing to invest in the series in the first place.
>>2375174
>Is that supposed to be an insult, lmao
Look where you are.
>How is Phantasia special in this?
Nigger, are you seriously asking this about the very first entry in the series? Without Phantasia, Tales woudn't have existed.
>>
>>2375165
>I don't think a Tales fan would care about the efforts of people who aren't even with the series anymore
I wonder how many people who worked on Berseria have already left Namco or were contractors to begin with that weren't rehired for Arse.
>>
>>2375200
Yeah, I didn't expect to see some idiot in these threads to seriously push the narrative in these games more than the actual gameplay but here we are
>are you seriously asking this about the very first entry in the series?
I am, because as I said it's something you can talk about for every single entry, and relatively speaking very little has been dropped from Phantasia in terms of core design when you compare it to other entries like Rebirth or Legendia, where most of the design elements didn't make it in the following games.
So again, what makes Phantasia so special outside of being the first gmae?
Because the series' formula only started to feel solid enough with Eternia, which is also far more interesting to actually play overall than any version of Phantasia or things like PS1 Destiny, if I had to recommend a game to a newcomer Eternia would be far better as a representative of the old generation of games than Phantasia, just like I'd absolutely recommend Symphonia to give people a taste of Team Symphonia's model even though it's something I don't even like personally.
>>
>>2375222
>what makes it so special outside of what makes it so special
epic.
>>
>>2375226
There's hardly any first game in a long running series that is actually good as an introduction.
Unless you're the kind of person who likes to play in release order there's nothing that makes Phantasia good as a starting point for a newcomer when compared to something like Eternia, just like anyone with a brain would recommend DQ3 or DQ5 over the first game when it comes to newbies.
Now if you want to do this for brownie points on the internet, I can understand, but that doesn't really help anyone getting into the series and only attention whoring retards would argue otherwise
>>
>>2375243
>There's hardly any first game in a long running series that is actually good as an introduction.
That's different from "what makes it special" tho.
>>
>>2375243
>just like anyone with a brain would recommend DQ3 over the first game
Anyone who recommends DQ3 as a starting point over the first game is either an asshole or a retard. DQ3's twist is so fucking cool and playing it before DQ1 would rob the person of that experience.
>>
>>2375167
Xillia even use melnics
>>
>>2375243
>DQ3
>Recommending the last game in a sub-series
What did the retard mean by this?
>>
>>2375244
>Literal goldfish memory
This entire discussion is about recommending games to beginners, you said you'd recommend Phantasia to a beginner to show what elements would stay or drop even though you can make the same exact argument for every game in the series.
So again, being first doesn't make you special here, nor does it make you good as an introduction by that virtue alone.
>>
>>2375255
I understand that anon, but you asked him what made it special.
>>
File: 1641087481004.jpg (80 KB, 1192x670)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2375041
>>
>>2375054
>Symphonia
>Abyss
>Graces F
>Xilla
>Zestiria
>>
>>2375341
>Zestiria
You want him to hate Tales?
>>
>>2375181
This reads like babies first reddit post tales edition. Anr8k
>>
>Crestoria shutting down in a month
>Scamco is still doing a "promo" giving out 250 gleamstones (worth 1 roll) for a character birthday and acting like its normal
????
>>
>>2375132
>at the very least I'm offering the ones with better stories and characters
Eternia does have one of the better stories and main casts in the series though.
>>
>>2375222
I got the impression reading the argument in >>2370437 yesterday there were a few storyfags here. The plot is just a means to an end and DC is the best Tales game because it understands that and just lets you play it.
>>
>>2370547
Berseria has a fun story and a great main cast but everything that involves actually playing the video game kinda sucks balls
>>
>>2375794
>Recommending based on story
>Zestiria or Berseria as an option
Their gameplay isn't that good either
>>
>>2375596
it was probably coded a while ago
>>
Do any other Tales games just have pac pellets lying around the environments like Berseria? Because I kinda like that.
>>
>>2375849
I honestly forgot about that. Add that to the list of failed systems in Berseria. And the geoboard too, fuck that garbage
>>
>>2375596
>giving away one single x1 roll after they announced eos
lmao
>>
>>2375867
>huge as fuck maps
>the way to get faster is only available to you in like midgame
>you need to grab the points in every map to be able to use the geoboard too
there was nothing wrong with pressing rt to sprint, fuck bamco for changing it into that shit
>>
Stop cancelling my magic arte you stupid mystic arte aaaaaahhhhh
>>
File: sloth thinking.gif (1012 KB, 500x281)
1012 KB
1012 KB GIF
What is the shortest Tales game and what is the longest Tales game? For the main story only.
>>
>>2378032
Shortest: Tempest
Longest: Toss up between Vesperia or Abyss
>>
File: rpcs3 2022-01-18 22-43-12.jpg (340 KB, 2560x1440)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
Playing pic related, and I'm confused by the missions. Some of them seem to have at least a little scene, albeit unvoiced, but other times it seems there's nothing showing beyond killing monsters or gathering ingredients when you clear it. Is there a way to distinguish the former to prioritize those whenever I need gald for payments? I've missed it if there is.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.