[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1550499558-223129681.jpg (867 KB, 2425x3221)
867 KB
867 KB JPG
Grogs: Do I play this on IBM PC Compatibles or on me Amiger?
Looking at screenshots, the Amiga version has much better graphics. Is there any reason to not play that version?
>>
>>2359415
Why are you trying to play this outdated jank in the year 2022?
Are you a contrarian?
>>
>>2359415
If you want to go the long haul then you'll want to play on PC. That game has three sequels that let you port characters over that isn't on the Amiga. There's also gold box companion which is pretty useful for that type of game, but you're only going to be able to use that on the PC version as well, if you're into that sort of thing. Graphically Amiga does look better but not by that wide of a margin.

In the end it's worth it either way, however you can make the game work is probably going to be your goal.
>>
>>2359441
The character import is PC only? I was not aware of that. I guess PC it is.
Not an issue running DOSBOX.
>>
>>2359415
You could do the NES version for more updated sounds and visuals.
>>
>>2359435
Kys
>>
>>2359441
>three sequels that let you port characters over
Very much this.
Half the fun I had back in the day was planing my characters in curse and when exactly to dual-class my humies.
>>
>>2359467
With dosbox you actually have to option of running general midi sound banks.
So at least the musical score would sound epic.

Have to figure that out how for yourself though, heard there's some tutorials on how to find them for free.
>>
>>2359843
Does Pool of Radiance even have music?
>>
>>2359415
If you want to import your party all the way to Pools of Darkness then you probably want the PC version. If you're just playing it atand-alone, Amiga is probably better.
>>
>>2359903
No, Curse of the Azure Bonds and Secret of the Silver Blades do have music on the title screen but only if you're using Tandy sound (much superior to the PC speaker, but will cause problems with other DOS games when enabled, at least in DOSBOX so remember to turn Tandy support back off when done.) They didn't take the SoundBlaster pill until Pools of Darkness.
>>
>>2359415
The Amiga version is better, but not so much that it is worth going to it rather than PC. The graphical differences become more apparent in the later gold box games. Pools of Darkness does look better on the Amiga, but we aren’t talking anything significant given how ugly these are now anyway. Sound better on Amiga too. And by better I mean it’s still bad.
I’d go with PC. I played them all on Amiga back in the day

>>2359441
>>2359467
All the sequels are on Amiga and the character import works fine there.
You’ll be fine with either versions if you want to go with this.
>>
File: pool.png (20 KB, 639x429)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Which graphics option is the best? Yes, I'm aware that all are terrible.
>>
>>2360792
EGA
>>
>>2359415
If you have nwn or nwn2 there are modules for this gams scenario for those games.
nwn: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/pool-radiance-0
nwn2: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/pool-radiance-remastered
>>
>>2360809
Thanks.

>>2360817
NWN 2 is on my list of games to give another chance to. A few years ago I wanted to, but got cockblocked because in order to use custom portraits, you needed a fully patched game, but all the servers were down, and after applying 10 manual patches, the chain broke down and failed. Ordered Storm of Zethyr to get the newest version that way, but by the time the disc arrived I wasn't feeling like it anymore.
>>
>>2360830
Make sure you get the GOG version of NWN, really no reason to have the Steam jew stealing a game like that.
But yeah, skip Radiance for the NWN modules instead and go for Curse of the Azure bonds.
Much better entry into the whole gold box story line.
>>
>>2360939
NWN combat is worse than the original Pools of Radiance in every way. Horrible advice.
>>
>>2360792
>>2360809
Tandy is better than EGA
>>
So I guess entering taverns is a bad idea in this game.
>>
>>2361405
Depends on the game, there's no difference with Pool of Radiance from what I remember. Tandy sound is better though.
>>
Low level D&D and there's no load button. That's definitely something.
>>
>>2359507
the battle music really bops.
>>
>>2361507
Only at first.
>>
>>2361507
if you used the modify thing to max out your characters a lot of the early fights are ludicrous, they scale up based on your stats
but if you use one-roll shitter characters those same fights will have like 3 guys
>>
File: curse.jpg (64 KB, 360x450)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2361357
Could you be any more contrarian?
Don't think so.

Radiance is utterly bare bones, don't think it even has rangers or paladins.
I think even the story is inconsequential to the rest of the gold box games.
Curse is simply a much better begining.
>>
>>2364628
Is there any hard data on encounter scaling for this game? Is it ANY character modification? Heavy modification?
Does it apply to every Gold Box title?
>>
>>2365283
>Is there any hard data on encounter scaling for this game?
People weren't as spergy in the '80s so no
>>
>>2365283
Higher ability scores and larger parties directly correspond with bigger combat encounters.
>>
>>2365400
Thanks man.
I went with a party with high stats. I figured harder is good and bigger groups gives the mage something to do.
I'm mapping out the town still. Setting spells every rest doesn't bother me, but not being able to load the game after a bad fight kind of does because of that stupid code wheel.
>>
File: 1640436290184.jpg (1.23 MB, 3791x1641)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
On the subject of Gold Box, what's the fucking deal with Dark Queen of Krynn? Literally the first area you're sent to has you getting gangraped by dragons. What's the deal?
>>
>>2365113
NWN games have garbage combat, this isn't a contrarian position, it's commonly agreed on. You can always make a new party for CotAB, if you must have a useless ranger or paladin. PoR has the whole overland map exploration thing going on and good progressive encounters for you to get used to the system, so being "barebones" is plus for a new player. Radiance is plenty relevant to the story as well, considering Big T is the villain. Overall, it's very worth a play.
>>2365481
You should pirate the cracked version from gog, so you don't have to deal with the wheel.
>>
>>2365517
Those games are all pretty hard.
D&D has Dragons of varying ages and stats (and the Dragonlance setting is notorious for not really having a solid, fleshed-out bestiary beyond Dragons and Draconians). Those won't be the hardest dragons you go up against.
Mainly though, DQK is the 3rd game in the trilogy and you're expected to be importing characters from DKK with 1.5+ million experience and high level gear.
>>
>>2365283
>Does it apply to every Gold Box title?
No, though I think it may still be true in Curse. Sadly in the later games they just assumed everyone would be a mixmaxing poofter (or more accurately a maxmaxing one) and made the game specifically for those characters.
>>
>>2366893
>Sadly in the later games they just assumed everyone would be a mixmaxing poofter (or more accurately a maxmaxing one) and made the game specifically for those characters.
Which is the wrong answer in both cases. Faggot devs shouldn't be so paranoid about this kind of shit in a single player game and just let cheaters cheat and everyone else have fun playing the game as intended.

I originally played the Champions of Krynn (when I was 12) using fairly allotted characters and then after getting my ass kicked by the fucking white dragon in the first level I re-rolled maxed out characters because fuck trying to play that game with a bunch of shitter characters.
>>
Cleared out the slums (I think?) and also a bandit camp in a well. City Council gave a reward for both, so I guess the general idea is to find the objective for each distinct area.
Not sure how to clear the troll group in the rope guild yet. I thought flasks might do it, but apparently not, they still get up. Worse yet, they don't leave bodies to burn, so I guess you have to hit them while alive.
>>
>>2368529
there's a trick to the trolls. They regen even with fire, so if you don't kill them all pretty quick, they'll get up again. However, you can move your party to stand in the same spot the trolls died in, and it'll keep them from coming back to life.

Levelling up enough to cast stinking cloud will make it a lot easier.
>>
>>2365283
The answer to your question is somewhere in this long-ass FAQ.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564785-pool-of-radiance/faqs/73869
IIRC it's stat total, strength specifically, and amount of AC below 0. Also weapons? I didn't bother actually finding the equation in that wall of text.
>>
>>2365283
>>2369391
ok I was curious and read the faq.
Surprisingly, base stats actually don't matter.

Party Strength is a calculation the game performs to scale random combats to your party, among other things. A character's contribution to Party Strength is the sum of:
>* 0.4 * cleric level
>* 0.8 * magic-user level
>* 0.5 * each point of AC below 0 (0 if AC is 0 or above)
>* 0.5 * each point of THAC0 below 21 (0 if THAC0 is 21 or above)
>* 0.1 * current hit points rounded down to the nearest integer.
The values used for AC and THAC0 are the ones shown on your character screen. Party Strength is the above for every character summed.

It will start at about 15 for an equipped level 1 party; a strong endgame party will be about 120-140. Since armor taking you below AC 0 and weapons affect this calculation, you can micromanage it by keeping such items unequipped until needed.

Party Strength does more than just scale the number of enemies too, apparently.
>>
Feel pretty dumb getting several hours in then realizing there is an in-game map (though you still need to take notes on paper) and hold person works on monsters in this game.
Pretty fun though, knocked out a few more quests, levelling up.
Party is Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Thief.
>>
>>2370091
Oh, damn, you missed the Area option? Might want to recheck some of the places you've been and see if you missed any secret doors or invisible walls, since you can see areas on the map you can't directly access and search around them instead of searching everywhere randomly.

I wouldn't have taken a pure thief, they aren't very useful so a F/T is better in every way, but you could also dual class it in the next game.
>>
>>2365517
Damn that pic brings me back.
>>
>>2359441
actually there were Amiga versions all the way through Pools of Darkness, and yes, you could import a character thru all 4 (plus Hillsfar in between PoR and CotAB).

but yeah GBC and all its QOL improvements don't work on Amiga version.
>>
>>2368529
Come back after you get fireball.

I believe this group doesn't have to be cleared to count as clearing the slums for the reward IIRC
>>
>>2370091
>hold person works on monsters in this game.
Humanoid monsters, sure. That's how it works in AD&D, too. I don't think you'll find it working on non-humanoids.
>>
File: rad3.png (218 KB, 2560x1440)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
Crash to DOS when the boar enemies die sometimes. Pretty annoying...especially since they are part of difficult fights.
>>
>>2374000
Have you switched to the GOG version like the other anon suggested? I'm not guarenteeing it will solve that problem but It can't hurt to try, though you'll have to copy your saves over (and possibly POOL.CFG).
>>
>>2374000
I think I've heard of this issue, wild boars keep going for a few rounds after hitting 0 hp as a trait, and it can bug out. Kill them last, maybe?
>>
>>2374518
I might look into that when I get around to the sequels. Mainly to get around the copy protection. Which is ironic, because I'd definitely pirate that but I'm playing on a legal copy now (I have a CD that has every game on it). Already a good amount into this, and I did check that I'm on version 1.3.
>>2374818
I went the opposite route and killed them first to get the possible bug out of the way.
>>
>>2375116
I'd also suggest using the Gold Box Companion program.
>>
>>2369402
hmm, base stats matter in that they modify thaco, hp, and AC
e.g. at the start of the game a fighter with 18/00 strength, 18 con and 18 dex will push up all the non-level scaling factors which is why everyone notices that modified super characters have massively bloated early encounters and shitters don't.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.