[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (16 KB, 187x269)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I'm about to play this. What should I expect?
>>
a very trashy game but at the same time a very comfy one that is better than it has any right to be
>>
>>2358999
holy fbpb /thread LOL
>>
Is it okay to play the Cold Steel series having skipped the Trails in the Sky games?
>>
>>2358999
question time, is it comfier than Zero? because that was 2020 GOTY for me. should I go and talk to every person inside the class/city after every event like I used to do in Zero/Ao? do random NPCs have silly story arcs?
>>
>>2359007
not as comfy as zero but still very comfy and yes npcs still have their story arcs, the thors npcs are all very fun
>>
>>2359018
great. it's going to be good. those story arcs made Crossbell feels alive more than any Bethesda shit has ever achieved to do.
>>
>>2358998
>oh nooooo i'm tripping
>*pomfs onto tsundere blonde twintails' boobies*
>KYAAAAAAAA PERVERRRRRT
>*slap*
yeah... i'm thinking 1/10 absolute dogshit that completely destroyed the legacy of everything that came before it and set kiseki into a death spiral that will hopefully put the franchise out of its misery soon
>>
>>2359078
d*mn, now that's comedy.
>>
>>2359081
Please return to reddit.com
>>
>>2358998
A very good game. Great combat. Great music. Aesthetics that have withstood the test of time. Story starts off okay and then gets increasingly interesting as it goes on. The sequel is fantastic. Be warned that CS2 sets the bar really high and sets expectations for CS3 and CS4 that those two latter games do not really meet, but are still good games.
>>2359006
>Is it okay to play the Cold Steel series having skipped the Trails in the Sky games?
Yes. Everything you need to know about the plot of Cold Steel is given to you in the CS games.
>>2359007
I'd say CS1 is comfier than Zero. It also does the NPCs better because there aren't 300 of them updating after every little plot beat, so talking to NPCs in CS doesn't feel exhausting or like a chore like it did in Crossbell.
>>
File: WHERESPOC.jpg (686 KB, 1920x1080)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
there is so much excessive, cringe dialogue but the series as a whole is very endearing
>>
>>2359108
this is because 90% of japanese men have autism, they don't understand how humans interact
>>
>>2359006
Like ehhh? The first two CS games are enough removed from the overall series, but CS3 and 4 heavily reference past games, not only Trails in the Sky but also the Crossbell Duology - Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure.
So there’s two ways that I’ve seen people do the series: Release order, or
>CS1+2 -> Sky123 -> Zero -> Azure -> CS 3+4 -> (Jap only games for the moment)
While I would recommend doing release Order, because the world and characters are connected across all the games, and Frankly I think the older games are better, if you want to go straight i to Cold Steel then I’d say follow the order listed above, doing the old games between CS2 and CS3
>>
>>2359108
please don't post screenshots from the concert scene, i don't think anything has ever pissed me off more in a video game than that whole shitty sequence.
>>
File: estellenewold.png (2.1 MB, 1648x1223)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
>>2359101
>Aesthetics that have withstood the test of time

Cold Steel aesthetics are pretty recent. Its the older games that have questionable aesthetics that might not hold up for modern players. Cold Steel is a lot more accessible
>>
>>2359101
>Be warned that CS2 sets the bar really high
Nah man, if anything it was the game that sealed the deal of this saga being shit, the gary stu levels of Rean they get out of the charts here, also:
>Civil war that lasts for 4 months
>So savage and bloddy that only two (2, dos) named characters die, one of them by suicide, and the one at the end doesn't count since he revives by the end of the next game
Comfy, yeah, it's a feel good game, but at each entry it gets harder and harder to look away from the glaring flaws the plot and the characters (specially Rean) have
>>
>>2359131
>Cold Steel aesthetics are pretty recent.
Mainly talking about that the games still look good for games that were made with PSP hardware as the upper limit.
>>
>>2358998
i would call it anti fun
>>
>>2359131
This is a lie.
Cold Steel graphics and animation looked shit when they came out and aged even more poorly.
Spritework games look like older games, but they look really nice for older games. If you’re not a zoomer immediately turned off by 2D games you’ll be fine with them, especially since there’s the EVO changes that are a middle ground if they still want some generic modern anime thrown in
>>
File: Spoiler Image (3.85 MB, 1920x1080)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB PNG
>>2359134
I was fine with the civil war in CS2 because CS1 didn't hype it up to be a calamitous affair, and the offscreen war in CS2 is pretty consistent with IRL civil wars like the war of the Roses, which were fought out in fields in the middle of nowhere and didn't affect daily life. It's the world war of CS4 that the entire series had been hyping up that was a monumental disappointment.

As for Rean, I find him no more egregious than prior antagonists (girl who gets the hot brooding boy and fixes his heart, or the super cop who has every girl in crossbell falling for him, or the secret church assassins with the edgey backstory and superpowers). I found Rean to be the most interesting protagonist thus far due to his circumstances later on.
>>
>>2359134
It's amazing how the series could go from people being turned into salt to Randy's mercenary family invading Crossbell and razing parts of it, with Shirley dropping a fucking chandelier on someone, and Erebonia's failed invasion that resulted in entire platoons and an entire fortress being atomized, and ended up at Cold Steel's civil war where only one old man died.
>>
>>2359150
Use spoilers dumb cunt you’re in a thread made by and for a new player
Have some fucking courtesy
>>
File: 1612907804293.jpg (162 KB, 500x482)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>2359108
>alt hair style for Emma never ever
>>
>>2359150
Oh, you mean how we went from jaegers burning Crossbell AND NOBODY DYING, or Wald trampling houses that are later revealed to have been empty, or Shirley dropping a chandelier on someone and said person lived? Otto dying was an improvement in that regard.
>>
>>2359148
I've only played the Cold Steel series because it runs at smooth 4k/120fps and its easy on the eyes. I may go and play the earlier games eventually but I'm turned off by the bobblehead graphics
>>
>>2359134
What about the Nord watchtower? Bro don't tell me you forgot about Roan?
>>
>>2358998
a 70 hour prologue
>>
>>2359118
>CS1+2 -> Sky123 -> Zero -> Azure -> CS 3+4
I played it in this order and I think it is best one for newer players. I had a really hard time getting into first Skies. Gameplay is dated compared to the later entries and the plot of Skies 1 is really really slow. I know other people who have had same issue. Cold Steel is a lot more active off the bat and gets you into the series. Ideally, you'd do it in release order but I think it's a lot easier to enjoy Skies with some expectations for the future instead of "when the hell is something going to happen?"
>>
I like Fie
>>
MY SWORD WILL CLEAVE IGNORANCE AND LIGHT THE WAY
>>
>>2358998
Download clear save data and take unlimited bond points.
Also, be aware that there are hidden side quests so either talk with every NPC or whip out the walkthrough.
>>
>>2359784
Let me say I mean no offense with this - but honestly how old are you? Cause I think that what your foundational experiences are sets a lot of where people place their definitions and standards. So you get two different people getting massively different take-away experiences from the same things.

In my experience, I've grown up playing a lot of games with more basic and systems and much worse graphics, so sitting down and playing Sky just doesn't hit me with the feeling of "oh, this is an old game" because compared to a lot of stuff (that I still quite like) it's a very polished game. The Sky games as a stand alone trilogy still be something that'd I'd really like.
And I'll be honest, I know a lot of people complain about FC being really slow, but it never really felt like that to me. Even in Ruan, which I think is probably the part that least advances the main plot, there's stuff happening all the time and a bounty of characters to talk to. Where some people I know got bored with the Jenis bit because it has almost no combat and does little for the main plot, I fucking loved it cause there was so much stuff that I could poke around with and explore and it was great character and world building.
>>
>>2359149
And Rean is the amalgam of these 3 characters as you described and much more.
Fixes the heart of his boyfriend, every girl fall for him and edgy backstory with superpowers.
>>
File: EulNTaVVIAI52hS.jpg (266 KB, 1200x811)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>
kino
>>
>>2358998
An incredibly annoying tsundere character that the game shoves into every scene.
>>
>>2359006
Is it okay to play the Trails in the Sky series having skipped over the Gagharv trilogy?
>>
File: 1626198034073.jpg (109 KB, 284x494)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>2358998
Milktanks
>>
File: 1627434478694.gif (2.69 MB, 287x326)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB GIF
>>2359006
You can, and that's how I started, but I got invested enough that, when you get to CS2's epilogue and play as the Crossbell Crew, I actually stopped playing immediately went back and played the series from the beginning, picking up CS2 from where I left off when I finally reached the end of the Crossbell arc.

Made the epilogue that much more meaningful because I wasn't suddenly playing as chucklefuck and tits, but two characters I was now endeared to. I know the series as a whole is just fucking schlock, but I love it.
>>
>>2366013
>stopping playing CS2 when Lloyd's intermission starts to finish Sky and Crossbell, and then returning to CS2
Unfathomably based
>>
>>2359148
The only objectively correct opinion
>>
So what does Trails of Cold Steel actually even refer to? Beware of spoilers here.

Because Trails in the Sky (sora no kiseki) is actually a very literal and proper translation, but "sora no kiseki" is also a homophone of "miracle of space". And the whole series is about the Sept-Terrion (also referred to as miracle) of Space (the element).
Whereas in the Crossbell games, the actual names of the games are again about "trails", so "Trails from Zero" and "Trails into Azure", or whatever, are appropriate translations. However once again the titles are also homophones for "miracle of zero" and "miracle of azure/blue". Now, anyone who has played the games knows that once again the story is about a Sept-Terrion, but this time both the Sept-Terrion (miracle) of Zero and of Azure is actually the same thing. As in those both titles actually refer to the same thing. I can see why it's called Azure, but I've no idea what Zero is supposed to mean there.

But that brings us to Trails of Cold Steel, or alternatively, "miracle of flash". Did they just abandon the puns this time around? I don't get it. I think when those stupid mechas swing their swords there's this flash effect, and I guess they count as "miracles" or something?
>>
>>2368222
>and I guess they count as "miracles" or something
They are parts of Sept-Terrion of Steel so it fits, I guess?
>>
>>2368222
>Sept-Terrion (miracle) of Zero
> I can see why it's called Azure, but I've no idea what Zero is supposed to mean there.

Cause it's a fake sept-terrion.
>>
I just started this game an hour ago I think I laughed out loud 5 times during the intro part (at the S break japanese attack yells mostly) but I'm having a lot of fun
>>
>>2358998
The arc that slowly but surely killed its own series.
>>
>>2368708
>tfw you genuinely enjoy every arc of Kiseki and just want the series to do well
>>
>>2358998
Persona, but less social links and worse combat.
>>
>>2368728
It's a very different experience seeing a series slowly change into something you don't like than binging it when there's like ten games out there.
>>
>>2368708
>literally the majority of sen fans are gaijin
I hate it here
>>
File: falcom_2021_profits.jpg (54 KB, 454x440)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2368835
Yeah, it's not just figurative at this point. Falcom makes the vast majority of their money abroad. Their Japanese game sales have tanked.
>>
>>2368855
You are aware that 'licensing' refers to China/Korea as well and not 'the West', right?

Fucking retard.
>>
>>2368873
Who said anything about it being just the west?
>>
>>2368835
Why does it matter?
>>
>>2368874
No one ever, ever, EVER uses 'gaijin' to refer to anything but Western gaijin while acting Western game culture is comparable to Asia outside of Japan and that those markets are even remotely the fucking same, don't pretend to be retarded.
>>
>>2369046
They were literally using that to refer to newer Falcom fans - i.e. those who joined at CS. Learn some reading comprehension.
>>
>>2369046
It was metaphor. Read the article with google translate to confirm. They were gaijin to the established community
>>
>>2368222
>So what does Trails of Cold Steel actually even refer to?
Hatsuu and Kondo have explained this years ago. The Japanese title refers to the glint that a sword makes when it is drawn from its sheathe, and the English title is an approximation of that and has a double meaning in referring to the slumbering Great Power.
>>
>>2359122
Why?
>>
>>2368961
>shitgame like sen brings in more money than sky
>series continues to get worse and worse because it's what brings in money
>gaijin fans are the ones that pay up for sen
>gaijin fans are to blame for the series' deterioration
pretty simple
>>
>>2368790
>Persona, but worse combat.
False. Persona uses a press turn system (which is pretty good in SMT) but watered it down and devoid of anything that made it good. Cold Steel combat is way superior to that.
>>
>>2369491
He doesn't mean literal gaijin. He's talking about a generation gap in the Japanese Falcom fandom. Falcom went out of their way to pursue a younger otaku market with Cold Steel, and while the gambit initially paid off, the new fans didn't stick around and the old ones felt alienated and didn't retain their interest in the series.
>>
>>2369437
It’s the fucking railroad tracks
>>
>>2358998
A very comfy game
>>
>>2368790
>getting free turns for hitting a weakness
>good combat
kys retard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.