[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: re.jpg (20 KB, 259x227)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
there's all kinds of stuff that Blizzard could do to soup up Diablo 1, if even just taking the mods like Beelzebub and Hell and implementing all the content from original developers that is sitting unused in the code
>>
Diablo 1 Hellfire would be licensing nightmare, it was developed on Blizzard's engine, by Sierra Entertainment, and after Sierra's bankruptcy got acquired by CUC International.
>>
>>2358666
I hope blizzshit never touches D1
>>
>>2358666
Nice digits
Blizzard should stay away from Diablo 1
>>
>>2358666
Diablo 1 is already better than Diablo 2 has ever been, though.
Fitting trips btw.
>>
There was a really good and shortlived thread on /v/ recently about this where a few anons and I discussed what made Diablo 1 so special for us. We talked about scarcity and the atmosphere a lot. What about you, Anons? Is Diablo 1 your favorite in the series? Why or why not?
>>
>>2359227
It's the only Diablo game I enjoyed playing from start to finish. I don't like Diablo 2's build faggotry and everyone just looks up guides to do stuff anyways.
>>
>>2359227
Diablo 2 is all around superior, but that doesn't mean Diablo 1 isn't a masterpiece, my experience was being railroaded into it basically, i couldn't figure out how to play the sequel online (yeah yeah dumb i know) so i opted to playing the first game and wound up making friends and fighting tooth and nail to diablo in hell over many many sessions with various players, learning to dupe items, learning to load up items in a trainer / edit my character's inventory, all kinds of fun for a while

but i of course eventually found my way onto Diablo 2 where i had great experiences too, and the game is just the fulfillment of the original, and generally more
>>
>>2359227
While I like D3 the best (even though I consider it the worst game in the series, I just had the most fun with its multiplayer) I think D1 is still the best game in the series. I actually played D1 for the first time in late 2021 and loved every bit of it, but I wouldn't consider it a special game for me.
Best atmosphere and soundtrack by far. The way some quests would be randomized was really cool too and led to most runs feeling different in one way or the other.
Diablo 2 is the only game in the series I don't like. Act 2 just bores me and makes me drop the game every single time, no matter what character I'm playing the game as. Which sucks, because I actually like Act 1.
>>
>>2359308
>I actually played D1 for the first time in late 2021 and loved every bit of it
>mfw i will never experience diablo 1 for the first time ever again

I envy you, anon.
>>
>>2359322
Checked.
I feel ya anon. It was a great experience. I wish I could enjoy D2 as much as fans do,
>>
>>2359322
Just give it some time, once the Alzheimer's kicks in plenty of games are gonna feel like first time again.
>>
>>2359308
act 2 is fucking comfy
>>
>>2359308
I'm curious if you know why you feel so different about D2 compared to D1. Usually most people get bored of D2 after beating it once, while fans of it claim the real game starts on higher difficulties.
>>
>>2359393
I'm not a big fan of 2's atmosphere. While the gameplay in 1 is repetitive too (arguably more repetitive than in 2), I found the setting and soundtrack made for a much more engaging game, seeing the atmosphere change as you go down the floors, not knowing what you're going to face next just felt good to me. That surprise factor wasn't there for me when playing 2, so maybe that's a reason I didn't like the game much, saw a few relatives play through most of the game back in 2002 so I know how most of the story goes and the areas you go through in each act.
Inventory management bothers me in 2 as well, and I'm not a big fan of modding on my first playthrough of a game so I'm stuck with a gameplay loop I find tiring and honestly, quite boring.
Sorry about the blogpost.
>>
>>2359433
Nah, the blogpost is what I'm here for. Thanks for the insights Anon, I appreciate it.
>>
>>2359442
it's a shame that no matter how many times I give the game a chance (tried every class but druid so far), I get bored of it so quickly. I really want to like it but I just can't.
You're welcome anon. Glad you appreciated it.
>>
>>2358666
After the Warcraft 3 remaster, Blizzard should not be allowed to touch any of their games again.
>>
Blizzard should be renamed to Sexy Fingers because they fuck everything they touch. Want to remake any of their games? Just do it yourself. It would be far better than anything those breast-milk-thieving, date-raping, intern-abusing, transexual-pandering, nigger-jew frat-bro fuckheads could ever do.
>>
>>2359474
>Just do it yourself.
Way ahead of ya
>>
>>2358666
NO. THEY FUCKED OVER ALL THEIR REMASTERS EXCEPT STARCRAFT. LEAVE THE 1ST DIABLO ALONE.
>>
File: DIABLO_20161105_183646.png (126 KB, 640x480)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>2359227
Diablo 1 is my favorite because besides the town, it's all dungeons with areas worth exploring. Diablo 2 has a lot of open space that everyone tries their hardest to run thru and ignore all the enemies, eventually leading to everyone teleporting/leap attacking/etc. across the majority of the game to get to the bosses I still remember my first impression of Diablo 2 when it was brand new. "Why am I outside?" There's so much space."
I also like that Diablo 1 has a lot less emphasis on items. Sure, you have your Obsidion Rings of the Zodiacs and Windforce, but there is never any expectation to be decked out in uniques or set pieces. You take what you find, and that's perfectly reasonable. I just wish the single player quests worked in multiplayer, and no mod has done that while keeping the game near vanilla status. They keep adding random stuff.

If I replay Diablo 1 nowadays, I usually try it ironman. It's a lot of fun. I've never liked Hellfire much, so I never install it.

>>2359330
Too bad that's also when the arthritis kicks in.
>>
>>2359550
your first impression of Diablo 2 is fucking dumb, you're given a fleshed out setting and you wonder why
>>
>>2359563
Blood Moor is EMPTY except for the Den of Evil. The Cold Plains are EMPTY. There's so much dead space.
>>
>>2359577
there's a house in Blood Moor, there's a cave in cold plains and a fallen kin camp, i always enjoyed that journey in Diablo 2, you start at the rogue camp and you fucking walk, you walk all the way around all the marshes and plains through caves and woods through the sanctuary, cathedral, jails, catacombs, return back to the rogue camp and you travel easy to Lut Golain, you fucking walk through the desert, through tombs, through burrows, under the palace, teleport into the arcane sanctuary, then into the canyon of the magi, through the genuine tomb to face duriel, always too late, you sail to Kurast you brush in with the wanderer and you fucking walk, through swamps, camps, sewers, to travanical, through the durance of hatred, always too late, teleport to the last vestiage of defences against the primal forces of hell and you fucking walk, down into the river stix, up into the chaos sanctuary and you unseal diablo yourself and you slay him, you teleport to harrogath and you fucking walk, all the way up the battlefield, through caves, frozen rivers, tundras, to the world stone, you kill baal and tyriel smashes the stone

fuck i love diablo 2, it's about the fucking walk
>>
>>2359606
Which is the complete opposite of Diablo 1, where all the space is used. I love both but I can see how annoying it might be for some.
>>
>>2358829
Apparently there wasn't an issue re-releasing it on GoG with the Hellfire 'expansion'.
>>
File: Cow.png (126 KB, 640x480)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>2359606
I always enjoyed the end portions of the acts because it's usually a multi-layered dungeon with the stronger enemies. I really liked all of Act 4, probably because it's a more condensed act with only 3 quests, and nearly all of Act 5 is good. The start of Act 5 you can only go one way: up the mountain, and while climbing it you're being assaulted by catapults and slaughtering your way through the opposing army. It's neat. There's action the whole way.

I also can't tell if your post is taking the piss, because in Diablo 1 your character can only walk.
>>
>>2358829
>CUC International
KEK
>>
Well... Resurrected wasn't terrible. Didn't get me interested in the game again like I was thinking it would, but the enhanced graphics and quality of life are great. I'll pick it up when the season stuff launches maybe, but otherwise, I don't see how or why they couldn't give Diablo 1 the same treatment... probably come down to engine issues, though, or some other technical problem from porting something just shy of a dos game. I'd be curious if it'd get censored, which is probable, imo.
>>
>>2363946
>can only walk
May or may not be relevant, but you walked faster in Hellfire.
>>
>>2363946
>I also can't tell if your post is taking the piss, because in Diablo 1 your character can only walk.
legitimately escaped my mind when typing all that out, pretty funny
i just meant that Diablo 2 was a journey and you felt it, i think you feel the world trek more than you feel just descending down floors
if 2 was the first game and you went around the world in 80 days and then then 1 came out and you just went down 25 floors in one town i guarantee everyone would be singing praises of 2, lol, it's just a better game all around, a well rounded MORE
>>
>>2364214
They could. It's just a matter of profit - and they're right. Not many people will be willing to play a remastered Diablo 1.
>>
>>2363946
Act V has the best opening, fighting up the mountain and encountering Barbarian NPC's along the way. Definitely a different feel than Diablo 1, but still very good.
>>
>>2364217
Only in town. In the dungeons it's still only walking.

>>2364561
I know most people prefer 2 over 1. I'm an outlier. At least this means Blizzard will never touch Diablo 1 and mess it up.
>>
>>2364561
>it's just a better game all around
it isn't unless you're a faggot obsessed with loot treadmills and artificial synergies
>>
>>2368715
Nah i'm also one of the ones that prefer 1 over 2. 2 is too grindy and end game feels pointless once you've got all the gear you need/max level. Diablo 1 has the best atmosphere, ost, lore, characters, etc. It has this sense of complete dread as you get further down into hell. Hell is completely and utterly fucked, as anyone would imagine what it would be like.
>>
>>2363997
wait til this guy finds out about austro-hungarian court
>>
>>2369064
Because D2Tards don't get is that D1 is descent to madness one way ticket trip.

Each floor, each quest, book you find slowly but surely increases the grim factor and it simply only topped by the ending.

In D2 your objective is chasing behind the Dark Wanderer across giant empty maps and some dungeons and solving the Town Crisis#12315 and fetch quest #12363

Characters/NPCs aren't as fleshed out as Tristram's; No one is scared shitless that literal demons are roaming the land and this pervades the whole game.
>>
>>2369094
The voice acting blows me away still too. Each character has their own personality and story to tell. Farnham has some convincing lines like when he recalled dealing with the butcher, killing all his friends and whatnot.
>>
>>2358666
Here's what Blizzard can realistically do at this point:
>dissolve and give the market share back to more responsible stewards of their death grip on the ARPG and MMO genre

I will now refuse to elaborate,

Goodbye

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.