[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1609015733664.jpg (21 KB, 667x667)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>Japanese turn-based RPG
>it's just wizardry 1-3 but more braindead.
>Japanese action RPG
>fun third-person melee action game with RPG elements

>Western action RPG
>absolute janky mess, can barely be called action at all, it's more like turn-based combat that's forced to happen in real-time and suffers for it (e.g. morrowind). that or it's a worse first/third person shooter
>Western turn-based RPG
>fun small scale tactical combat game

>The west mostly makes action RPGs
>Japan mostly makes turn-based RPGs

Why is it like this? Why doesn't each region play to its strengths or failing that, copy the other?
>>
>Japanese action RPG
>fun third-person melee action game with RPG elements
false, all "press x to win" nonsense like FFXV
>>
>>2276485
More turn-based JRPGs are made than action because they're easier to make and are popular in Japan. More action WRPGs are made than turn-based because it's what's popular with western normies.

Those are what sells, so more are made, and with lower average quality because publishers are trying to cash in and because casual fans (normies) are less discerning than hardcore fans.

Action JRPGs are fairly popular, but Japanese devs/publishers aren't willing to make them if they're not confident about it. If they're just trying to cash then they can more easily make a turn-based game which could also sell. So Action JRPGs tend to be made by devs with more confidence or desire to make them, so the average quality is higher.

Turn-based WRPGs just aren't popular, so the only ones making them are those really want to and are willing to sell to a more discerning niche audience. So the average quality is higher.
>>
>>2276487
Right, Dark Souls doesn't really count. It's mostly an action game. It rarely plays anything like a real RPG of any sort.
>>
>>2276485
There's still no game that came close to gothic.
>>
>>2276485
>copy the other
Why would they?
The west makes hair physics enabled FPSes (with swords) for manchildren who bought the latest graphics card.
The east makes anime titty covered visual novels for manchildren who wish super gatcha was never banned.
Now MMORPGs on the other hand have lots of copying.

>play to their strengths
They do, why do you think Bethesda and Squeenix haven't gone bust?
>>
>>2276487
Ys, tardo
>>
Action RPG's aren't RPG's.
>>
>>2277789
lol that's not proving him wrong especially the newer ones, literally the most braindead action games ever made right below ff15
>>
>>2277799
The early ones have some hard fucking bosses, even on normal difficulty
Post playtimes or your a lying faggot
>>
>>2277806
i don't have those shit games installed anymore and i don't have anything to prove to you because anyone with a brain already knows that ys is a worthless series for brainlets
>>
>>2277810
>I don't play video games I just talk shit about them online: the post
>>
>>2277812
lol you expect me to have games installed from years ago just in case one fucking idiot on 4chan asks me about it? get real, retard
>>
>>2277814
I'm just taking the piss. Ys is an extremely solid action series and to argue otherwise is arguing in bad faith
>>
>>2277817
it's not bad faith to have an opinon you don't like you fucking clown, it's objectively braindead shit
>>
>>2277818
>Objectively
>opinion
See this is where you prove me right about your bad faith
>>
>>2277818
You know what else is objectively braindead shit? Your opinion, faggot. Besides, with a soundtrack like that even fucking Drakkhen is gold

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.