[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: stoneshard.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
What are your thoughts on this, Anons?

Not really played anything like this before. Is it worth playing? I'm thinking about picking it up but I feel like I won't enjoy the permanent death aspect of it. Is there anything else remotely like it graphics wise/gamplay wise without perma death?
>>
>>2275884
>permanent death
You just reload back at the last bed you slept in. It's a nice little mid-/low-fantasy game with a bizarre array of stats and a charming artstyle.
Development has been very slow, but they look like they're getting there. Play the demo.
>>
a bit conflicted on it honestly. I've only beaten the first dungeon - albeit, multiple times with different builds - and had a decent time with it. my biggest issue is the bloat that many games within this older sphere of game design occupy. so much equipment with minimal upgrades, and the various skills that work in combination with one another to various ends that result in 'builds' with greater damage output, sure... but with no significant changes in the playstyle outside of selecting one series of 'combo' attacks over another. shallow complexity with little to no depth whatsoever dependent on what end of the skill tree you find yourself on. moreover, the design of the campaign itself is resplendent with mediocre designed environments (both aesthetically, and mechanically) that will remind you of those good ole games. topped with traversal progression similar to all the older games that it means to pay tribute to.

it wasn't fun to 'travel' through the villages of Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, Arcanum, etc; all to interact with the same boorish NPCs that provide the same boorish dialog. Say what you will about Deus Ex' mechanics, visual representation, etc, but the reactivity the game provided, and the focused campaign itself was bereft of bloat, and was all the better for it. same for Thief, if one is willing to consider that an RPG to a certain respect, but I'm willing to leave it out of the argument. which is a shame, as I enjoy 'isometric' rpgs with turn-based combat with a decent amount of tactical depth and complexity.

its just that many genuinely think those older games were actually any good, and not just something we tolerated at the time. Stone Shard designs a whole game through these tolerances, as though they were something to look back upon fondly. all that being said, I'll probably play through the whole game eventually.
>>
Where does spearmint grow in 0.7? I'm level 6 and I have yet to see one. Also is it normal that I can't enter any building in brynn?
>>
>>2275884

Why is all art these days is the same unoriginal mobile game looking shit. Going down steam games you see the same colors, same style. Purple and orange are big ones. Must be the new blue and orange.
>>
>>2276412
have you even played the game?
>>
>>2275884
Absolutely great, waiting for full release or at least a big magic update to go back to playing it.
>>
>>2275884
>Grind the same 3 dungeons until you get strong enough to beat a troll and then the game ends
I'd wait until it's finished if I were you
>>
It is unplayable. Every update makes it mechanically shittier, with the single exception of no longer making the WORLD MAP occupy 4 percent of your already-smaller-than-Diablo-1 inventory. I regret the six American fiat points I spent on this game and the twenty hours of my life wasted on it.
>>
>>2275884
>still on early access
>dev is slowing down
yeah no. until they get their shit together i'll pirate the hell out of this fucking delayed game
>>
>>2275884
I've had this game in my library for a while but I'm waiting for it to be finished before delving into it. Why is it taking so long dammit...
>>
>>2275884
>early access that will never be finished
>pixel shit
Hard pass
>>
>>2275884
It’s pretty good. Too hard for gorilla niggas here.
>>
>>2276406
On the plains, iirc.
Shops in Brynn are slowly being added via patches.
>>
>>2281130
the game is nowhere near as hard as a proper japanese (doujin) dungeon crawler. warpigs are piss easy toddler pattern recognition simulators
>>
>>2281130
Nobody here called it hard, you dumb shill.
>>
Started with the sorcerer today, it's a bit difficult to do the contracts right from the start. I'm on the necromancer now and I finally understand you need to basically just grind the overworld first.
>>
File: 1633203706766.jpg (221 KB, 792x792)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>2275884
>play the tutorial part
>fuck it's a great doungeon crawler
>get outside
>see all that grass and trees and roads etc.
>instantly lose all the will to play
seriously, I just wish it was a classic dungeon crawler, not all that open world bullshit.
worst thing is, they clearly spent so much on all those outdoor assets, what in the flying fuck, money down the drain imho, they could do just a giant dungeon with different floor flavors like ice, lava, whatever, that I would play. I don't want to roam around some ass forest.
>>
>>2275884
I played when there was no custom character/character customization and the game pretty much ended after you kill the troll. is that still the case?
>>
>>2282382

>click, character starts hopping, reaches destination, stops
>click, character starts hopping, reaches destination, stops
>click on arrow to move to the next grid
>>
>>2282382
The world map has too few encounters. They could fix it in several ways.
Add more encounters(with skill check?)
Reduce z level width and length.
Unlockable fast travel or some kind of traversing like fallout maybe?
Basically you just walk around from one square to the other for no specific purpose within each square.
>>
It had promise but it's developing at a snail's pace and even the new content is so minimal it's not worth reinstalling for big patches.

I stopped caring once I discovered Battle Brothers
>>
>>2282396
The way of simply walking around is so horrendously slow that it isn't even funny, it's just tedious. You click on a spot at the edge of your screen and then wait for a minute while your sprite slowly bounces there.
The game desperately, desperately needs to be massively sped up. Something as simple as fast-travel to grids you've already been to. Or at least a fast-travel to the grid you died in so you don't have to waste half an hour just getting back to the spot you died.

But it won't. They have a lot of poor design choices, and development is even slower than your character.
>>
>>2282394
There was a major update on Nov 18th, and when I say major I mean they expanded the map from 17x10 screens to 40x40 screens.
Just go read the patch notes
>>
>>2282541
>The world map has too few encounters.
When you're traveling through the woods, it feels like there's hostile wildlife or bandits on every other screen.
In fact the frequency is already so high it's probably a deterrent to new players because of the number of times there will be a fucking bear in the middle of the road right outside town.

>Unlockable fast travel or some kind of traversing like fallout maybe?
It has unlockable fast travel, and has had it even before this most recent update.
Once you finish the tasks the mayor of the starting town wants you to do for him, you get access to a stage coach you can ride between towns
>>
>>2281130
The development time is too hard, nigger shill. Actual gameplay is piss easy like your mom.
>>
>be pyro
>absolutely shit on everything (if it's not raining)
>have to hold back otherwise half the loot burns including boss drops
>beat troll and still haven't found upgrade to my starting robe

first permadeath character that didn't die within first few contracts
>>
File: mirrah.jpg (8 KB, 142x80)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>the year of our lord, 2021
>still using sprite mirroring
>>
>>2288218
I can think of a good reason for that. The shield is clearly visible in both images. If the shield was on the other side it would be partially hidden.
>>
File: lefty.jpg (8 KB, 142x80)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>2288234
Funny thing is that you can actually swap hands for the weapons in your inventory and it has a different way of holding. There's no reason they couldn't have used that.
The shield isn't particularly hidden. It's unlikely you would miss an enemy's and not realise they had one.
>>
File: 1632257792070.gif (2.79 MB, 476x480)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB GIF
>>2288256
which suggests a messy workspace and inconsistencies in sprites/scripting. development hell? maybe...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.