[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iu.jpg (981 KB, 1920x1280)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
What RPG has the most enjoyable grinding you've ever played?
>>
File: file.png (67 KB, 245x205)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
>enjoyable grinding
>>
>>2275810
I love Persona’s gameplay loop of
>Dungeon crawling
>Raising social stats
>Doing social links
>Getting more resources to dungeon crawl again.
I’m not sure if that’s really grinding though, it’s just the gameplay loop and I just find it incredibly comfy and satisfying.
>>
>>2275810
This is a pretty dense topic to get into, especially considering the nature of grind as an ephemeral difficulty slider of sorts, compounded by the perceived necessity of it, and whether it is valid or invalid prior to the player 'reaching' a specific hurdle in the game, and their general knowledge of the game's semantics (interlocking mechanics). for instance, I've heard alotta people online complaining that Octopath requires grind, but I have a buddy who has told me different. personally, the Disgaea series is accused of being grind heavy, but you can avoid almost all aspects of grind - ffs, there are speedrunners that 100% the 'grindiest' games in the series under 10 hours - if you are familiar enough with the series mechanics.

But to answer the question on its face as best as I can, I believe that Final Fantasy Tactics A2 has the best 'grind' of just about any game. There is just something about the itemization, interlocked with the learning of new abilities, and specific progression points unlocking more of them that is just very appealing to me. its a kind of alchemy that I haven't bothered to truly sit down and attempt to dissect yet. I imagine it could only be improved by having a similar economy based system akin to Unlimited SaGa; or some other vrpg who's non-linear economy I've yet to read or have experienced yet.
>>
>>2275810
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>2275821
Yeah this one, the combat in DD makes grinding fun.
Would also say NieR Replicant is a close second, I don't mind more opportunities to engage in the fighting in that game.
>>
>>2275810
Path of Exile
it's fast af, maybe that's why
>>
>>2275810
trails on the sky episode 2, just because of the combat music
>>
Probably WoW's because you can show off your results, but I don't get that high anymore.
>>
>>2275810
Final Fantasy Tactics.
WoW and Everquest grinding aren't bad.
Dark Souls
>>
Skyrim
>>
FFXIV Eureka
>>
>>2275810
Only game I've truly ground in was Titan Quest, there was this big spider in a cave and she dropped items of a set I wanted and I ground a few hours on it to complete my set, this was the only time I went into the grind zone
Then I tried multiplayer and some guy gave me the best sets of armor in the game for my class and made my previous set worthless
>>
File: originals-2.jpg (266 KB, 1400x945)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>2275921
My man
>>
File: 34.jpg (645 KB, 1920x1080)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
>>2275810
Hard to say for sure. Kamidori has great grinding overall. On the other hand gaining levels when you hit the stats limit feels really bad.
SMT games generally have very satisfying grinds as well. I love trying to fuse every available demon possible as well as planning how to create some really powerful demons when I approach the end game.
>>
I only enjoy grinding when the load screens are fast and combat has an auto mode with greatly sped up or cancelled animations
the slower it is the more I'll hate it
>>
Nocturne because when you're grinding it's usually to acquire new demons which is a lot more fun than just grinding for level ups.
>>
Nocturne
>>
>>2275810
enjoyable grinding is like married bachelor, it's a contradiction in terms
>>
The only grinding I ever enjoyed was Bravely Default, and that's because you could set the game speed to 8x or whatever.
>>
>>2275960
Confirm WoW because you can shoot the shit with guildies and show off your hard earned mount/title at the end of the grind.
>>
>>2276860
Repeating the same action over very long periods of time is calming and even comforting for some people.
>>
>>2275810
All Disgaea games are the only ones that have enjoyable grinding.
>>
>>2275810
The Siralim games, they are nothing but grindan and numbers-go-upan and I love the shit out of them.
>>
>>2275810
Progress Quest. The only grinding that is enjoyable.

Seriosly though, Final Fantasy 5. Grinding for new classes was like waiting for Christmas that comes in a night.
>>
File: gzs37b4r.png (132 KB, 454x343)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>2276503
Here are the levels required for whatever conditions by chapter.

Warframe has the best grind.
Player level depends on how many weapons and characters you've leveled up. Every player level gives equipment you use that minimum capacity.
Everything is crafted through varying amounts of resource grinds. Most are pretty reasonable and a few are insane but resources all trickle in just playing around doing various other things.
Weapons and characters all level to 30; every level gives capacity for power ups.
Power ups have various grinds to get in the first place, and then have to spend resources to level them up, making them take more capacity. You can reset weapons/characters to level 1 to make one slot use half capacity; and do this for each slot (though almost nothing could use that much).
Then there are two even more autismal grinds that make you nigh invincible if you actually do them.

Anyway what is good about it is that it forces variety on the player. If you want to level you do it by using everything in the game.
>>
>>2277376
>Anyway what is good about it is that it forces variety on the player.
I enjoyed this to a point.
After a few months I realized that I'd used my actual favorite frame and/or weapon for only a few missions in all that time.
I could only forma them so many times, and then I just had to decide if I wanted to give up using my favorite stuff or wasting experience to enjoy myself more.
>>
>>2277320
hmm, I agree with FF5 as long as its your first foray into not only the genre, but class specific designed games. afaic, if you played FFT initially, the job grinding in FF5 feels quite archaic in comparison; where comparing FFT to FFTA1/2, its more of a difference of preference -- I personally enjoy both styles for their own merits, but perhaps I lean more towards FFTA2's specific implementation of job grinding.
>>
>>2275810
Ragnarok Online.
>>
>>2275810
I enjoy a grind with either fun combat and or exploration like XBC 2 ( I hit the mid 40s before leaving the first Titian) or grinds with that fast and or have satisfying pay off like Koudelka and FF12.
SMT and Persona might take a while to level up once but the battles are snappy so it kinda counter acts that. Also Huge shout out to Bravely Default for letting the player adjust the encounter rate.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.