[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jamWaitingRoom.png (1.54 MB, 1639x1094)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
Friendly thread for rpg dev discussion.
Rpgmaker, Godot, Unity, Unreal, Love, Gamemaker, vague ideas, all are welcome!
New jam soon maybe.
>>
Can a rpg be fun without randomness ?
>>
>>2275806
Sure, the first time you play it.
>>
>no jam info
>no links to poll jams
ANON
>>
Thread Theme: https://youtu.be/MYdUFYZUa40
>>
>>2275806
Depends.
Are we talking about random puzzles, maps, loot?
>>
https://strawpoll.com/p9wx86srz
https://strawpoll.com/gaw16jyx4
make sure to answer both polls

I'll probably launch this after I eat my turkey tonight
>>
File: Puzzles.png (61 KB, 837x631)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
How hard do you guys like your puzzles?
>>
>>2275844
I am ok with anything but timed puzzles.
>>
>>2275856
I can understand this
>>
>>2275844
For the most part the solution should be self-contained; I don't want to have to do a puzzle in a dungeon where the hint is some obscure shit from an NPC halfway around the world. If it's mandatory dialogue or an NPC from a nearby town that's fine, but some older games are really fucking stupid about puzzles.

Nothing with random encounters in the same room. I can accept having to fight an encounter for getting the puzzle wrong, but I would limit the number of times this penalty is applied.
>>
File: inabunidesc.png (112 KB, 1187x887)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
For those of you who played my demo, how many of you managed to beat it?
https://mammothplant.itch.io/mirrored-soul just in case anyone has an older version
>>
>>2275839
randomness in combat mechanics
>>
>>2275862
Yeah, none of my puzzles take place in areas with random battles because that would be horse shit. They're always self-contained too. It's been pretty bad watching streams of my game and people struggling on puzzles I'd figured would be very, very easy. I know as the person that designed the puzzle I'm always going to be biased in the direction of "thinking it's easier than it actually is", but it's made me worried about puzzle design in general.
>>
>>2275871
I've been meaning to play this, but I just don't like monster collection RPGs at all. Your writing is always incredibly charming, but every time I go to play it I'm like "I have other games to play". I know this is a problem specifically with me and that I should make the time as you seem like a full bro.
>>
>>2275888
Totally fine, based anon! I completely understand; I suffer from the same kind of apathy with basically every game nowadays, even the ones I love. Don't feel any pressure, its not as if I'm holding a gun to your head forcing you to play.

That's right, just keep staring at the computer screen. Don't look behind you
>>
>>2275894
Fuck it, I'mma do it. This post has convinced me your bro level is even higher than I had anticipated. I dunno if you've played my game, but it's Knight Shift, if you feel so inclined.
>>
>>2275878
You mean RNG dependent gambler-like class? They can be fun. I liked using them in the Paradox.
>>
>>2275917
No I mean, is completely deterministic combat fundamentally unfun ? Right down to being able to know how enemies will act.
>>
>>2275907
Downloading it as we speak. I'll let you know what I think in a bit. I always liked the look of it; like that one anon said it gives me Newgrounds vibes, which is rad.
>>
>>2275932
Hell ye. I've got today off and I've just plonked your godot icon on my desktop.
Am v hype.
>>
>>2275922
Ends up slipping into rote memorsation too easily i think. Played colony ship recenlty which had an entirely detmistic stealth system and ending up shuffling around a tile here or there on reloads, just to rig things favourably. Not good.
>>2275823
Didn't think it was decided on yet. Probly shoulda put the polls in tho \_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>2275932
The comics in the comic shop made me snort heartily. V pleasing.
>>
>>2275932
Am in the mirror realm. Plot reminds me a lot of Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. That is high praise.
>>
>>2275932
Holy shit it's Jade Cocoon SMT this game is incredible. "U made a fren" made me HOOT with laughter. Good on you, pal.
>>
>>2275944
Yeah those are probably my proudest literary accomplishment, kek. Everyone seems to get a kick out of Milk Man and Onions Boy but I personally don't think I'm ever gonna top "mildly annoying Mikey"
A lot of the dialogue was written by my co-developer Hex4F by the way. He did that whole exchange with the Police Chief, for example. Most of the monster-related stuff is mine but sometimes I have trouble making relatable human characters so he helps with that. For the record, "you made a fren" was also his -- I only specified to "show a text box which congratulates the player on his new friend", and he took that to its most logical conclusion, god bless him

>>2275946
I read a few of his books when I was little, I really liked The Wee Free Men. Christ I really need to start reading more again
>>
>>2275964
Oh also on case you're wondering, I'm out on an errand right now so I haven't been able to download your game as soon as I'd hoped, but I will as soon as I can, you have my word
>>
>>2275967
>>2275971
Thanks man, I just got the last shield shard from shroot village and I gotta go do some stuff, but I am loving this a lot more than I can realistically describe. Fucking excellent work.
>>
>>2275986
Have fun, anon. Honestly there's no better praise than from a fellow dev, thanks so much for trying my game out. If you decide to pick it back up, keep me posted. I got a ways to go before I finish the full game but the demo's almost ready for Steam, and you bet I'm gonna shill the fuck out of that steam page
>>
>>2275989
Oh, I'll 100% be finishing this today, I just gotta get some shit done or I'd be playing it through to conclusion. Your OST is phenomenal and the writing is amazing. Having your characters say stuff in battle is inspired and I'mma probably write a fuckload of lines and steal this very mechanic, it adds so much. When Coilroy said "kept you waiting, huh" I was like 'cool, goty then'
>>
>>2275994
Oh shid, looking forward to it then. There are quite a few secrets in the demo alone, by the way. I'm trying to have this game recapture the sense of discovery which has been absent from, say, the more recent Pokemon games.
Thank you for all your kind words. I composed most of the OST way back in high school, so it's heartening to know it still holds up.
>>
>>2276002
I know the feeling, my friend and I wrote the Knight Shift OST back in 2013 and like, hearing people be like "this music is banging" brings a tear to my little eye. Knight Shift is the same way, I've tried to counter that "oh, they wouldn't put anything in there" feeling by making basically everything interactive. It makes mapmaking take double the amount of time, but if there's a tile that isn't floor, 99% of the time there's something interactive with it. That helps me hide secrets, too, because players should hopefully think "well, there was something in X place, why not here"
>>
>>2276006
Well shit, now I'm even more excited to play
>>
>>2276006
>>2276008
Alright, I'm back. Downloading your game. The place I'm staying at right now has the most legendarily horrible wifi of all time; we're talking kilobytes per second, no that's not an exaggeration.
Gonna give feedback as I play. Dropped ten bucks on the download, by the way. I don't normally pay for demos but in your case hell yeah
>>
>>2276084
Mate, you didn't have to do that! Please let me know if you have any feedback. In general too I'm in the aggydaggy discord and that if you wanna hang any time and talk design or w/e :D
>>
>>2276084
Just realised my post at >>2276115 didn't actually contain the words thank you, but thank you!
>>
>>2276006
>House of (player name but with a G at the beginning)
okay, I'm sold.
this already seems promising. intro sequence reminded me a lot of Paper Mario. the whole game does, to an extent. also yeah the music's great.
>>
https://lastremnant.fandom.com/wiki/Combat_Basics
any idea, how could I implement similiar mechanics via yanfly plugins into MV?
At least this
Deadlock
When unions are caught in close combat, it is known as Deadlock. In such situations, the two unions are set in what they may target. If a Deadlocked union is commanded to perform long-range attacks, support skills, or movements, Deadlock is broken. Cancelling Deadlock gives the opposite union a chance to engage them in Raidlock for a large damage bonus.
and this
Morale
Performance in battle affects unit's morale. As one might expect, high morale increases performance, while units with low morale are not as effective. The morale of both the friendly and enemy forces is displayed across the top of the screen. On the battlefield morale is affected by: Critical Strikes, Interceptions, Raidlocks, Flank Attacks, Rear Assaults, and Massive Strikes. This doesn't include the Arts that affect morale, such as Bluff.
>>
Are there RMXp scripts that make it so an attack cannot be used unless in a state?
i need to set it for an enemy
>>
>>2276127
Hell yeah, the Mario RPGs are exactly the vibe I'm going for. I even made a font to give the game the feel I wanted
>>
Just start the jam already, I want to play some games
>>
>>2276336
You'll have to wait a month anyway.
>>
Balancing this mana system to make it fun is so hard
>>
i am having trouble coming up with a story idea for this jam but i'm eager to get started!
>>
>>2276373
Balance is overrated, majority of developers just make sure it sorta functions and throw in random numbers.
>>
>>2276373
shoot me, Ill help.
>>
>>2276373
Balancing the specific numbers is one of the things to do at the very end. If the skills feel good, you can use mana to buff/nerf them a little more.
>>
File: 1560308613495.jpg (118 KB, 1100x698)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>already excited to sketch out the battle system and characters for this next jam
Soon...
>>
So what, I will fail to finish my game for the jam again anyway.
>>
>>2276387
>>2276388
>>2276390
I guess I wasn't clear
I'm making a TCG-esque system where there are are balls of mana of different types that are generated and characters can spend
I'm running into the problem of it feeling very unfun when you get to a character's turn and there's nothing they can spend mana on
I've tried both making the mana persist through rounds or regenerate completely each round, both have their own versions of this problem
Even when I give the characters a filler "charge mana" skill, spending the turn charging mana doesn't feel fun
>>
>>2276410
Mana screw is an integral part of the card game experience. Especially on early turns.
Post a prototype or a webm if unsure, we might be able to help.
>>
>>2276410
make it regenerate if mana reaches 0. Then, balance it so you can always reach 0 mana with your skills (so no situation where you have 5 mana, but skill cost 6), done.
>>
>>2276410
>>2276422
Alternatively, make a "take a breath" skill, that regens mana and some small % of missing health, not total.
>>
File: EyY8QgYXAAc_3uG.jpg (250 KB, 905x1059)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Just found out RPG MAKER MZ had an anime adaption.
>>
Are there any RM2K chipsets out there that match the general look of the default ones? I find RM2K chipsets hard to find in general.
>>
>>2276380
Killer snowman with a lot of puns
>>
>>2275801
Is it possible to implement a row battle system in rmmv/z?
>>
>>2276565
http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Row_Formation_(YEP)
>>
>>2276617
I'd like to find a way to script it since I'm not using YEP plugins and I don't want to buy it yet.
>>
>>2275801
Are there any good godot tutorials out there? Want to try it after reaching so many limits with Rpg maker.
>>
>>2276453
We should be thankful for everything rpg maker does wrong. Because it gives us entertaining reviews.
>>
>>2276779
the official documentation looks ok.
docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/index.html
>>
>>2276796
Its like listening to grandpa tell the same joke back to back. It's hard to smile when it's sad.
>>
>>2275806
Deterministic combat can rapidly feel like a solved problem. That's not good, especially for longer games.
>>
>>2276819
It needs to have good enemy variety to work, so your strategies just sometimes get hardcountered and you need to think.
>>
>>2276779
Not a unified one but just searching "how to make a 2D platformer" is enough to start you on your way. Once you understand how doing things in the engine works, you can start looking up how to implement mechanics and probably somebody has a video on it.
Honestly though, you're better off staying on RPG maker if all you want to do is turn based rpgs. Something like godot is not beginner friendly since anything complicated and fun you want to do with the engine requires more work and understanding how the scripting language works.
>>
File: Armor Journal.png (981 KB, 1303x915)
981 KB
981 KB PNG
>>2275801
Posted in the last thread and got some good advice. Just want to ask something else in a fresh one.
When you guys make gear in your rpg what is something that you shouldn't do?
I mainly ask as in what can make gear either detrimental to combat or almost completely pointless in having an actual functional/justified purpose?

I've been trying to complete all of stats and skills related to the equipment in my game but I realize I'm just sort of applying varying parameters willy nilly and it feels more like I'm checking off a list rather than trying to spice up the gameplay in a creative fashion.
>>
Turkey has been eaten
https://itch.io/jam/rpgm-winter-jam
>>
i added a different chest for each type of thing that can be in it but i didn't stop to wonder whether it adds or dectracts from the game until now
>>
File: ByakkxZCcAAfhGt.jpg (19 KB, 500x375)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2277019
>>
File: u2aZt7E.png (98 KB, 441x423)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>2277019
i'm going to make a game full of slippery ice puzzles and nothing else!
>>
File: four exam fiends.png (593 KB, 817x653)
593 KB
593 KB PNG
Also shilling my game made for the last jam:
https://teamgehu.itch.io/fexf
>>
>>2277107
oh nice, i'm glad to see you finished it up!
>>
File: hina think.png (27 KB, 158x172)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>2277019
Wondering if I should abandon my (first) project to try and participate in the jam or if I can juggle making two games at once
>>
>finally playing yngvar
>my fucking face when the first enemy i encounter outside of the jail
iowacorn you're the craziest motherfucker i known
>>
>>2277019
Gonna take my old abandoned project and make it wintery for this one
>>
File: GraveKnight.png (55 KB, 288x338)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
I'm not really convinced on the body armor, and maybe the horn should be longer
>>
>>2277626
Is this like a paper doll equipment thing that gets overlaid on characters? Or is it an enemy? Looks cool.
>>
>>2277629
Nah, but i wish i had that cool of a idea. It's just how this enemy looks
>>
What software can I use to record my screen and does it work on a potato
>>
>>2277661
if you're on Windows 10, you just need to press Windows+G
On Mac, click Shift+Cmd+5
>>
>>2277661
obs and webm converter. check /agdg/ thread in /vg/
>>
>>2277671
What if the potato is Windows 7
>>
>>2277691
https://www.wikihow.com/Record-Screen-in-Microsoft-Windows-7
>>
File: FA0rhN_VgAIQQOs.jpg (83 KB, 750x909)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>2277019
>only 29 days, 19 hours, and 37 minutes left
>still haven't managed to come up with a half-decent idea for my game
bros... it's over... go on without me... i'll make it next time...
>>
File: FE_M6OSXwAA60Go.jpg (52 KB, 640x639)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2277725
>>
Post progress
>>
>>2277803
I'm eating gamedev breakfast.
>>
File: tent.png (328 KB, 1157x934)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>2277803
I'm making camps for the player party they can set up while exploring the world map. The camp is different based on the biome they're in. The idea is to get some laid back banter with your party or npcs that are following you at the moment, plus some random events to add variety.
>>
File: tent2.png (1.66 MB, 1282x995)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>2277833
in-game
>>
Today's DLC releases are actually pretty good, the Japanese Modern Cityscape Tileset seems to be by the same creator as Futsu City tileset with this one being similar except more detailed. It's not expensive either.
>>
>>2277839
>>
>>2277846
kek
>>
>>2277032
Man, I love CCGs. I'm really looking forward to this.
>>
File: 1625793391464.png (151 KB, 400x267)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>2277019
YES
>>
>>2277019
Can you copy paste the long description and rules from the previous jam? it's not that much of work and will make the jam page looks slightly more good. Just a suggestion.
>>
>>2277936
I didn't this time because I'm a boomer and people were confused about what a console-style RPG was and I was still going to have it be any engine so I figured unless I was restricting the engine to RPGM, why put that there.
>>
File: images (18).jpg (14 KB, 401x432)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2277924
>that pic
>does polar bear actually have black skin?
>google image shaved polar bear
>mfw
>>
File: file.png (29 KB, 636x492)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>2277019
Is it ok if i use somewhat of my previous games asset for it? nothing much aside from just the map and the character sprite.
>>
>>2278011
Yeah, no problems with that.
>>
>>2278003
Why did you show me this. I hate you.
>>
File: all_out_eng.webm (2.39 MB, 240x160)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB WEBM
>>2253658
GBA demake of this in the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJShDi_FiE&t=51s
>>
>>2278011
this isn't a strict competition and there's no voting or anything so idc about something so minimal
just like don't upload a game you've clearly been working on for months
>>
>>2278051
>>2278040
Alright thanks!
>>
>>2277839
this is cute
>>
Alright, I learned my lesson already. How do I scope my game down so I can finish in time?
>>
How do I make my game not boring?
>>
>>2278279
Think about rpgs that you don't find boring, and think about the reasons why
>>
>>2278250
>Make something simple that you can literally make in few hours to a day
>Expand on it from there
>>
File: 1620890592400.gif (280 KB, 128x128)
280 KB
280 KB GIF
>>2277019
>Got characters planned
>Abilities planned except for some enemy
>Enemies planned
>Setting is planned
>Plot is planned
>Progression is planned

Now it's time for maps. God I fucking hate mapping, tempted to just copy some maps from other games and just modify them.
>>
>>2278250
You really have to time yourself and know how long it takes you to make each segment. From personal experience I know if I work with no breaks it takes me about 6 hours to make a very very basic town and another 6 to make a functioning dungeon with a few monsters and a boss. Longer if I want to give the town a lot of life and an activity like a minigame. Longer if I want to give the dungeon puzzles or stop to have the party exchange a few words of dialogue, but that's the basics of it. World map development is incremental and I haven't been able to time it properly because it's something you always go back and fix after adding more destinations.

Essentially figure out how long you want to take to get a finished project, and how long it takes you to do things. Realize it's still not enough time once you get halfway through. (if you add on like 20% to the timeframe you THINK it's gonna take you might be fine).
>>
>>2278294
mapping is the worst part of the RPGM process for sure
>>
If I can come up with some decent gameplay today, I'll enter the jam. Wish me luck bros.
>>
File: 1622868424876.jpg (134 KB, 955x1105)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Ok, I have a general idea for a decent winter themed story, now what?
>>
File: rdg.webm (2.75 MB, 719x471)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB WEBM
Witness my randomly generated dungeon technology which I made because I hate mapping
>>
>>2278326
Open rpgmaker
>>
>>2278333
That's fucking cool.
Did you create a bunch of preset rooms, then through variables decided how these connect to one another?
>>
>>2275922
>No I mean, is completely deterministic combat fundamentally unfun ?
>Right down to being able to know how enemies will act.
Sounds like how Beaglerush describes Long War combat- how different aliens have different personalities, how they'll do basically anything to avoid running suppression. He seems to enjoy it.

I'm not sure how well this would fit a RPG but I think the solution would be having a lot of different mechanics to juggle simultaneously. Something where it's easy enough to do well but almost impossible to do perfect.

>>2277725
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piS1Sjwb1Vg

>>2278294
Unironically do. Try Geneforge, it has surprisingly good maps.
>>
>>2278390
No the inside of the rooms themselves are actually random too
I want to expend as little manual mapping effort as possible
>>
>>2278432
How did you do that?
>>
File: neat_huh.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2276623
If anyone need to solve this sort of stuff, I've found a way. Just made the SV sprite sheet use the sleep state frames for a laid back frame to represent long distance. Kinda clunky but it did the job.
>>
>>2278333
That is cool. Did you make a bunch of those rooms, or are those randomized too?
>>
>>2278473
With a tile changing script and great autism
>>
>>2278491
Hurr durr I should've read the other replies first.
>>
File: DemonTrainer.webm (1.42 MB, 1280x720)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB WEBM
finally released a playable demo. any feedback is welcome.
https://hippierobot.itch.io/nova-odessa-the-demon-trainer
>>
>>2278521
oh fuck based
>>
>>2278521
Looks nice.
By the way, where is Old Odessa?
>>
File: OVUMj8u.png (647 KB, 677x400)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>2275801
Not really a question about a jam but about broader things.
How do you actually balance things? All those stats for monsters, raw power and damage formulas for skills, stats for equipment and stat/level curves? Do you replay and test everything to find a sweet spot of difficulty and player's current level?
Or you can just make a lot of fancy and exploitable stuff and then make hard and scary opponents, and hope for the player to cheese the game so he can stay alive?
>>
>>2278564
Depends on how much time you want to spend tinkering with it, but you can very easily go down a rabbit hole of number tweaking.
This sort of thing is flexible so it's not the worst idea to leave game balance for last so your remaining time can be spent on it, even if you don't finish the balance it's still better than not finishing eventing cutscenes etc.
>>
>>2278521
Based, will try anon.
>>
File: 1630356417965.jpg (74 KB, 836x900)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2277019
yeah fuck it i'll join
i'll prob end up not making a game though
>>
>>2278767
literally thought i was in /ggg/ for a sec kek
>mfw he literally just gave up in the final round and pressed taunt at round start
>>
>>2278789
kek I'm a retard and forgot what tab I was in
>>
>>2278526
>>2278677
thanks anons

>>2278536
thanks anon. i think it is in ukraine
>>
Hypothetically, if I was making a Vermintide clone, would I be welcome to post in these threads?
>>
Does anyone one which line to edit the battler frames in rmmz/mv? Like where to replace 3 with 6?
>>
>>2278887
How much RPG does it have
>>
Is there a way check if the user of a skill during combat is an enemy or an actor? I want to do it do different stuff for each.
(Rpgmmv)
>>
>>2278925
you could make two different versions of the skill, one to be used by actor one to be used by enemy, and just give them the exact same name and visuals.
>>
>>2278925
in the damage formula write
>if(a.isActor()){ put here the stuff you want to do for actors }else{ put here stuff you want to do for enemies }
>>
>>2278906
About as much as Vermintide
>>
How do you balance having ambient and BGM play at the same time? Should you give ambient stronger volume than the music so it doesn't end up overpowering it unless you want the ambient to be very subtle?
>>
>>2278929
That would be a hussle desu
>>2278943
I would kinda need it before damage calculation but I can work with that thanks.
>>
>>2278978
Try to look at references. Like what other games do.
>>
>>2278943
Im retarded. Just adding a state in the attack and checking for a state inside the common event works
>>
>>2277839
I think it's better to make the surroundings darker than to cover the center part with that.
>>
>>2278978
Just give player options for that and make them tweak it themselves
>>
>>2278978
having music and ambient noise at the same time can kind of have the opposite effect and make them diminish each other. what i'd recommend is, let's say there's an important object/landmark on a screen (waterfall, windmill, something big that the player will investigate) play a noise for that, but otherwise ambient noise IMO is best when it's just ambient noise.
>>
Anyone know a good resource for input buffering in Unreal Engine? I am building a dark souls character setup and want to be able to detect kick and jump attack.
>>
>>2275844
requiring obscure, real-world knowledge not found in the game :)
>>
on a scale of 1-10 how much do you hate the concept of permanently-missable optional content
>>
>>2279395
Depends on the reward or if it's "optional" in that you aren't forced to do it but completing it leads to a different route/true ending in the game.
>>
>>2279395
>consumable items that you can get anywhere else
1/10
>game has a "counter" for 100% completion for opening every chest and some are missable
10/10
>story-related stuff
10/10
>unique but not "ultimate" equipment
3/10 - 10/10 in the scenario above where the game has a counter keeping track of you collecting shit
>Ultimate equipment
10/10
>Unique spells and abilities
10/10

Lost Odyssey had a great way of handling it; anything that was in an area that couldn't be revisited eventually made its way to the auction house. So if you want to reward a player by going off the beaten path within a certain timeframe while not punishing players that didn't do so too hard, the option to get these items very late in the game was there.
>>
>>2279418
open RPG Maker
>>
>>2279405
>>2279416
you know, now that I typed out that question, I realized how bad of an idea it is to have a secret superboss be permanently missable
>>
>>2279395
I love the idea of branched missable content, like you can choose between X or Y content but miss out on the other one forever
>>
>>2279438
I like that sort of thing too
Adds replayability if done in a way that isn't obnoxious
>>
>>2279422
depending on if there's any reward or unique dialogue for killing it that would range anywhere from a 5/10 to a 10/10 on my list.
FFIX did it and FFX-2 did it several damn times but those games are the definition of "buy the strategy guide" to begin with.

>>2279438
This I don't mind so much, I think. Also I want to say as weird as it may be I only care about any of this in JRPGs. WRPGs are more about crafting your own story, where in JRPGs I feel that's rarely the point, and I don't give the faintest of fucks about missing anything in WRPGs.
>>
>>2279395
I like it, but it triggers peoples OCDs, so it's not a popular thing.
I always try to include some though.
>>
Quick, I need a reason why MC have to hunt 4 differents king level-beasts
>>
>>2279494
devour them and steal their powers
>>
>>2279494
that sweet, sweet bone marrow
>>
>>2279494
SEX
>>
>>2279494
They stole his 4 gfs
>>
>>2279494
He needs to get the four pieces of a mighty sandwich and finally eats it to discover it was alright but that that it's over his life feels kinda empty. So instead he retires to Rivendell to write poetry.
>>
I'm so excited to not finish my jam game in time again!
>>
>>2279536
fuck my suggestion and fuck anita sarkeesian go with this
>>
File: file.png (22 KB, 96x95)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>2279568
>>2279536
but I want to make pure love story and harem is not pure love.
>>
>>2279588
They're 4 parts of the same person, easy fix.
>>
>>2276162
Bump
>>
File: Potion Seller.png (103 KB, 722x544)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
Excited about this questline
>>
>>2278294
>>2278301
What are you guys talking about? Making tilesets and mapping is the absolute best bit.
>>
>>2279655
I'm with you on this. I find that shit almost therapeutic.
>>
>>2279588
But what if girls like him and each other?
Any normal guy would not be jealous if his girl loves another girl as well.
>>
>>2279655
>>2279661
What? Tell me how to enjoy it anon. I can only do character sprites right now.
>>
>>2279395
I had love/hate relationship with it in Last Remnant.
The game requires a lot of exploration because if you just run through it doing story missions, you will miss not only a lot of companions, story, quests, dungeons, equipment but even cities. It has permanently missable quests too, so you can lose money, equipment, unique skills and future companions. The number of completed quests also determines the power level of final boss (he has like 10 ranks, if I remember right). The full powered final boss requires all quests being complete and a couple of those are pretty infamous.
The first one has timed fight with very, very strong boss, for that part of the game. If you leave it for grinding, you will probably be fine but if you go for the next two-three story missions it will autofail.
The second one is a not really hard quest, but it is available for such a small amount of time that you will not know about it without a guide. The game does not indicate it in any way but during continuous story missions in the capital, you need to go into another city and do this quest. And yeah, it will autofail if you do all missions in the capital and then come back.
>>
>>2279718
Ditto. I loved that game, but it basically requires autism and the wiki open at all times to play. Not to mention shit like the final boss insta-killing everyone constantly or the boss that grants himself five turns in a row and just fucking kills everyone.
>>
File: Cosmetix.gif (892 KB, 247x170)
892 KB
892 KB GIF
>>2279710
Right now I'm creating a cosmetics system for Knight Shift to give the player another layer of customization, but all I want to do is make fun places
>>
>>2279710
I often just make the maps with default assets and then go over replacing them. Feels real nice to check on your full maps after you made some new fresh tiles and got every single element under your style.
>>
>>2279395
It really depends on the game. If it's a linear experience then it's bad, but if the game has multiple routes/endings then it's not bad since I can get it on next attempts.
A compass or something that helps you find all the stuff you missed in NG+ would be great.
>>
>>2279996
Filled to the brim with soul
>>
>>2280173
Big heart emoji, bro
>>
File: New Weapons.gif (624 KB, 285x247)
624 KB
624 KB GIF
Probably the last update for the night: New weapon graphics to match the battlers
>>
>only 28 days and 12 hours left
It's over...
>>
AAAAAAHHH I DON'
T HAVE AN IDEA YEA
*yet
>>
>>2280331
>>2280301
You can do it anon! I believe in you!
>>
>>2280331
I have an idea, but its probably bad. But I don't care!
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 140x70)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
I wonder if one month is enough for me to make riviera clone.
>>
>>2280331
I have too many ideas and don't know which of them I'm gonna do.
>>
>>2277019
>>2278011
Another question, i want to use music from the prodigy as part of my game soundtrack, you guys cool if i do that?
>>
>>2280534
Sure
>>
I've been trying out SRD Hud maker and it looks work really great.
>>
>>2280534
Do what you want man it's just a jam. I had the instrumental version of Faint playing for my jam's final battle with Jack.
Too bad I didn't catch that jam at the start and ran out of time so the combat balance was non-existent and everything died in 1 hit.
>>
>>2280648
>I had the instrumental version of Faint playing for my jam's final battle with Jack.
Pretty based
>>
>>2280648
are you gonna enter this one?
>>
File: stella.png (48 KB, 646x511)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
Stella cute!
>>
>>2280848
more like hella cute am i right guys
fucken gottem
>>
>>2280848
That makes me feel a little better about all the bots who pretend to like my tracks on soundcloud. Cute indeed.
>>
getting the heeby jeebies about this jam.
>>
I've got an idea by it would probably be better suited for a vn or something.
>>
>>2281221
But* it would be.
>>
>>2281221
for rmmv there are plugins that give you visual novels features. Can't remember if it was mog hunter or galvs.
>>
>>2280789
Yup. My goal is to actually finish balancing combat this time.
>>
Well, any ideas for christmas themed enemies?
>>
>>2281221
Many of RPGmaker games are glorified VN with walking sections anyway, so there's nothing stops you from turning it into RPG
>>
>>2278333
That's pretty cool, but making the rooms bigger, and putting the exits not on the center of the sides will make it feels more organic, in my opinion.
>>
anyone want to team up
>>
>>2281397
The villain is actually your parents
>>
>>2281221

I like games that are half VNs half games like Rance
>>
>>2281397

Piles of slush that throw watery snow at you, maybe in melting (slushy) snowmen form
>>
>>2281436
and do what? (not that i have any free time anyways)
>>
>>2279654
Obnoxious.
>>
>>2281561
Why?
>>
I kinda have an action RPG idea centered around collecting powerups for AP in a zelda-like dungeon.
AP can be spent to use abilities / items depending on your class and level. You get 4 party members and can switch between who the leader is with Select.
Basically MP is not a resource to meter through an entire dungeon, but a powerup you can stockpile a certain amount of. Inventory items would be what meters a dungeon and would likely be extremely dependent for success (so no cleric classes).

Anyway, combat classes like fighter/archer would be most interesting for players since they're most durable, even when casters get better damage/AoE. I'm thinking of ways to make them interesting, perhaps little minigames to cast spells. I think players would find it charming if some silly spell required a 10 minute game of solitaire to cast, with time seemingly standing still.
>>
I did it... I've finally got a concept for my game. I can't start really working on it til Wednesday tho... How is it coming, anons?
>>
>>2281590
Not so good. I already realized how deceptively large the project actually is and I feel like chickening out already. Either that or major cuts.
>>
>>2281596
Hey now, it's way too early to give up completely.
>>
>>2281596
same here, my third time actually.
>>
>>2281580
I like the idea of an action rpg where you swap characters like that. So you collect ap from breaking rocks, pots, etc.?
>>
>>2281596
Nothing wrong with downsizing. It gets easier to scale up every time you complete a project.
Walk before you run and all that.
>>
Can I go back to an abandoned project for the jam or is that off the table?
>>
>>2281658
I don't think that anyone would mind it if you did. Maybe retool it a bit to fit the theme so it's not as obvious though? People have accomplished some pretty amazing stuff in just a few weeks so it should be fine.
>>
>>2281660
The original concept was a people dogfighting their robots and I was gonna be cheeky and make the host of the event have the last name "Winters" while also everything is snowy but that might stick out too much.
>>
>>2281662
That sounds great, do it. There's no reason to think too hard about it, at the end of the day we could all look forward to playing one more entry.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.