[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

where do i start with the Ultima series. for context, i have A LOT of patience for antiquated games, as long as they are fun and not full of bugs.
>>
>>2274251
out of nine games you just happen to pick the one you should start the series with. you know where to start faggot, stop making inane threads
>>
>>2274298
literally just google “ultima game” for the picture
>>
Ultima Underworld is a good one.
>>
>>2274251
Is there a good guide on the controls and systems for these games? I don't want to know where to go but I need to know how to just buy shit in a shop
>>
If you have as much as you claim, start with Akallabeth and work your way up. They're all interesting.
>>
>>2274372
>Is there a good guide on the controls and systems for these games?
yes! wouldn't you know it, the game comes with a manual if you can imagine that
>>
>>2274518
It gives a list of keys but but not how to do things
>>
>>2274538
That is something you have to figure out on your own. Granted, some of these were pretty obscure, but that's because back then you were stuck with one game for months. The Gog versions include cluebooks btw.
>>
Not OP but I've started 4 plenty of times but I somewhat always get filtered for the complete lack of direction. Any tips? Is this game supposed to be played with the manuals opened?
>>
Gold Box>Ultima
>>
Release order, starting with Akalabeth.
Regarding what versions to play:
>3
PC version with upgrade patch. Alternatively, the NES version.
>4
Xu4 via ScummVM. Alternatively, the Master System version.
>6, Savage Empire, & Martian Dreams
Nuvie via ScummVM
>7 & 7-2
Exult
>Underworld 1&2
Unity port
>8
Pentagram via ScummVM
>everything else
PC version with applicable upgrade patch
>>
>>2274545
Ultima 4 represents a challenge for a lot of people because you only progress by going outside and talking to people. I'm not even memeing.
>>
>>2274557
>Underworld 1&2
>Unity port
lol, what shit advice
>>
>>2274545
unironically, read the manual. it has all the direction you need
here, I'll spell it out for you, it says talk to lord british. you talk to him and he tells you what to do
>>
>>2274251
You can start with Akalabeth and play your way from there if you want, but you miss nothing at all if you choose to skip Akalabeth and I/II/III story-wise. Ultima IV is when the lore of the games comes together. If you choose to start with Ultima IV, the Sega Master System version is really good, and I prefer it over the PC version. Then go up from there all the way to VII. If you really like VII - The Black Gate, Ultima Underworld II is directly tied to it. Then from there it's VII - Serpent Isle, then VIII - Pagan, then IX - Ascension.

There are also Martian Dreams and Savage Empire that use Ultima VI's engine, but I never played those. Then there's Ultima Underworld I which is a must-play for any Ultima fan. Then cry like a bitch because Richard Garriott went off to make a shitty MMO instead of going back to his roots and making an "Ultima" spiritual successor single player experience.
>>
Is there any reason to play the first few ones?
>>
>>2275757
See how the series progressed?
>>
>>2275757
Just read CRPGAddict's posts on them and pretend that you played them yourself.
>>
>>2275799
CRPGAddict lost my respect when he started savescumming roguelikes.
>>
>>2274557
Ignore this retard, he keeps giving bad advice in these threads. There is no unity port for UUW, just a half baked remake of it that was never finished and hasn't been updated in years. If you want to play the game without any proper AI, listen to this retard's advice.
>>
Ultima 1/2/3 are a bit of a meme, they weren't really taking the series seriously at that point
4/5/6 is where the worldbuilding actually begins. 7/8/9 was intended to be a true trilogy with a genuine story arc between the three games, but 8 was rushed and meddled with while 9 was unironically one of the worst games ever made.
>>
>>2275807
I don't know, that seems understandable.
>>
>>2276431
>entire point of the genre is you get punished for fucking up, so you're supposed to adapt on-the-fly and learn from your mistakes quickly, else start over from the beginning in an all new dungeon with an all new character
>"nah, let's just cheese through the game and reload if I die"
For people with such a reputation for being so hardcore, 4chan's vidya boards really pride themselves on being fucking casual babbys that want to avoid any modicum of challenge whatsoever.
>>
>>2276452
Man no one play vidya here.
>>
Ultima V was the type of game where you would/should literally write down notes, and it somehow made the game much better.
I just wish it had a VGA update on par with 3 and 4.
>>
>>2278902
I made so many notes during Ultima 4 to 6 I still remember every word of power and can play Stones from memory. Good times.
>you will now remember mapping Gold Box dungeons on school exercise books
>>
>>2278918
Semi-related comment: I want to put the cloth maps in UV resistant frames.
I have the cloth maps for Ultima VI, VIII, and IX.
>>
>>2278938
I still have my IV and V cloth maps (plus the serpent medallion from V and a Times of Lore poster map) but for the life of me I can't remember what happened to my VI map. I still have the manuals and the floppies but the map has disappeared into the ether.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.