[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Every JRPG Final Boss.jpg (163 KB, 800x960)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Find me a JPRG final boss that isn't any of these.
Hard Mode: no mages or dragons
>>
>>2272894
Is this supposed to be a bad thing?
>>
Mother 3
>>
it's great how Bhaal is 4/5 of these things
also fuck you OP
>>
>>2272894
>i don't want to fight god or the physical concept of evil i want to fight jim from accounting
sucks to suck bitch lmao
>>
the best part is that Sin isn't even the final boss
>>
>>2272894
This is a natural byproduct of how many JRPGs are set up as globetrotting travelogues. For the sake of narrative convenience, the antagonist is usually someone who wields power on a global scale and can be fought, directly or indirectly, anywhere the party goes. Who wields power on that scale? Gods, world-kings, and ideologies (i.e., the conceptual beings mentioned in the image). Furthermore, these beings also exist at the height of power, maximizing the zero-to-hero aspect of the narrative (another common JRPG quality).
>>
>>2272894
at tonelico 2's was just a pair of psycho lesbians
>>
File: 1630058706668.gif (1.39 MB, 379x341)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
I won hard mode, and now I get to call you a nigger too
>>
>>2272894
Skies of Arcadia? Its final boss is fairly tropey still, but not in any of the same ways as the OP. Right-hand fuckboy of the military general main villain who swears revenge after his boss is killed and fuses with an ancient man-mad WMD. No familial relation to the MC aside from him being a brother figure to one of the girls, no gods, no evil empire (they are in fact part of the evil empire's military that broke off from it to seize power themselves) and no metaphysical concepts.
>>
>>2272894
metal max returns. best part is that nobody in the game world even knows about the final boss' existence and when you go back to your hometown and tell people about it at the end, nobody believes you or gives a shit
>>
>>2272894
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
>>
>>2272923
oh man thank you for that laugh
>>
>>2272894
Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden

The physical astract of evil was the 2nd to final boss. Final boss is a mad scientist that wants to die but can't end his own life so he enacts Ragnarok to force the party to kill him
>>
>>2272894
There, a planetary weapon gone rogue.
No, its not God and it isn't some abstract concept. Its certainly not your dad, you killed him before that. Its no royalty and its certainly not a mage or a dragon.
Now, fuck off.
>>
>>2273110
>No, its not God
Deus, also referred to as God.
>>
>>2273116
just because it's named after a god doesn't make it a god.
>>
>>2272894
Trails of Cold Steel IV, the final boss is a normal guy
>>
>>2273128
What is and isn't a god, depends on cultural, religious and metaphysical contexts of given setting, and Deus classifies as one.
>>
>>2273128
it fits the very definition of the word "god"
>>
>>2273225
It's literally a man made device.
>>
File: MyyahGod.png (384 KB, 640x480)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>2273223
The fact remains that Deus is a weapon. A part of the Yabeh interplanetary invasion system, not a divine entity, as that would be the Wave existence. Its named after god, but its not God. It was made by humans. Its extremly powerful, but not God.
>>
File: tip.gif (2.68 MB, 312x250)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB GIF
>>2273238
>It's literally a man made device.
Just like God
>>
>>2273239
Yes it is a man made weapon, but in the context of uninformed gray masses it is a god.
>>
These threads always go the same way
>Some retards say every JRPG final bosses are gods
>Anon asks him to show examples
>Retards mentions a bunch of bosses that aren't gods
>Get called out
>Retards start arguing about the definition of what "god" means so that their non-gods actually count as gods, even though they wouldn't be called gods in any other context other than this stupid argument about JRPG final bosses
>>
File: Ship4.gif (935 KB, 500x340)
935 KB
935 KB GIF
>>2273248
That still doesn't make it a divinity.
Its not that hard to understand, anon, for fuck sake.
>>
>>2272894
Tales of Xillia 1, the final boss just has a different point of view and you come to an arrangement at the end also you can play as him in the sequel
>>
>>2272894
Final boss in FF5 is just a fucking twig
>>
>>2273253
A fancy rock, a moon, a sun, a man, an animal, an invisible animal in the sky, an invisible man in the sky, all those things were perceived as god's worthy of worship, because people believed it, so why not a biological ai construct besides in screanshot provided by >>2273239 alredy proved notion of Deus not being a god wrong by this >This Deus, the one you call god
>>
File: ark vs ark.jpg (371 KB, 1280x2160)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>Final boss is a 1v1 showdown on equal grounds

Games of this ilk?
>>
>>2273262
In a perfect world, Dragon's Dogma would have been that
>>
>>2273223
>>2273225
It's NAMED Deus. That doesn't automatically make it a god.

If I named by gun Dues, does that make it a god? NO.
>>
>>2273282
>This Deus, the one you call god
If it's called a god, then it's a god. If you named gun god, does that make it a god? YES.
>>
>>2273116
>>2273223
>>2273225
>>2273248
It's based on Deus Ex Machina, latin for God in the Machine. It's based on the fact that it have god's power but it's not god.
>>
>>2273513
>It's based
I agree
>>
>>2272894
>Your Dad & God
>Corrupt Official
>Abstract being

FF1: Chaos isn't your Dad, a government official of any kind, nor is he really abstract.
FF2: corrupt king, okay.
FF3: Dark Cloud is a giant green woman who took advantage of a pissed off Wizard who got tricked out of his immortality. She probably sells vegetables by posing on can labels. Not a King, God, Father
FF4: Alien Parasite using a racist zealot to commit genocide
FF5: A tree
FF6: A Clown God, but he's not your Dad or a symbolism
FF7: Also not your Dad, or an elected official, or an abstract being.
FF8: Also not your Dad, or a god, or an elected official, or an abstract being
FF9: Blue man group
FFX: Its not even Your Dad, or a God, its just some guy who is a magic tick.

lmao what does this stupid image even apply to?
>>
I can think of plenty, stop being a white girl dude.

>seraph lamington in Disgaea 1
>dragon in Seiken densetsu 2
>Smithy in Mario rpg
>Dimento in Super Paper Mario
>The dark one from arc the lad
was technically an evil version of one of the 5 spirits technically not "god"
>Fawful in Bowser's inside story
>whatever the fuck that shit was in Legend of Dragoon'

See, stop being a white girl.
>>
>>2272894
in cold steel 1 the final boss is just a guy in a mecha
>>
>>2273239
how is it not god when deus created all of the humans that live on the xenogears planet
just because it didnt create the entire universe doesn't mean that deus isn't the creator of the world of xenogears
>>
>>2273599
>its a god... it just is ok!
>>
>>2273131
He's also your dad, and is on the list dumbass
>>
>>2273577
>Smithy in Mario rpg
You fucked up casual
Smithy's an alien and your facade of playing video games is broken. Go back to masturbating to gachas failure
>>
>>2272894
anon, it's okay
you can talk about your daddy issues safely in this thread
>>
File: Kemco.jpg (2.65 MB, 1500x3800)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 310x163)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2272894
Gary was here, OP is a loser.
>>
>>2273575
FF2: a king, FF1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,X: variation of a god.
>>
>>2273638
Professor Oak definitely fucked your mom so Red is Blue's half-uncle.
>>
>>2273636
autist
>>
Kingdom Hearts
Nier Automata
>>
>>2273651
Kingdom Hearts: bs abstract, physical concept of evil, Nier Automata: some like alien
>>
>>2273664
>Nier Automata: some like alien
Very wrong.
>>
>>2273671
And how would you tell, machine lifeforms player fight through the game are of alien design, and so are YoRHa black boxes.
>>
>>2272894
>Suikoden I: depressed Emperor using magic to turn into a hydra, kills himself after beating the hydra taking the witch who was trying to manipulate him with him
>Suikoden II: a magical beast in the form of a two headed wolf that the chief strategist of the enemy kingdom turned himself into, then depending on which ending a one on one duel with your best friend
>Suikoden III: incarnation of elemental wind a dickhead mage turned himself into
>Suidoden IV: a duel with the commander of an imperial navy shortly after fighting an evil big tree summoned by an arms dealer
>Suikoden V: an incarnation of the power of the sun your sister's dickhead father in law turned himself into
>>
>>2272894
...we count Pokemon as jrpgs, ya? Even if bad ones, their final bosses are mainly champions with exception of arguably Gen II (If we count post-game superboss Red as "final" boss) and gen V, where we fight dude fighting for his ideological bs that COULD become champion but abolished entire league system right before becoming one.mdxry
>>
>>2272894
Nothing about Sin is generic. What other JRPG has a giant sea monster that keeps the world in a technological dark age? It doesn't outright destroy the world because its command is just to destroy civilizations that reach a certain level of technology. Yu Yevon is just a powerful summoner who isn't even sentient anymore. The Final Aeon twist is also pretty good.
>>
File: Noise95_-_Draco_Cantus.png (154 KB, 360x450)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>2272894
THE POWER'S YET UNKNOWN
>>
>>2272904
>>2273799
Thread should have ended right here.
>>
>>2273841
An execption to the rule, confirms the rule.
>>
>>2272903
Faggots want the final boss to be a rando I guess
>>
File: 1629983096988.jpg (55 KB, 500x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2273855
>Faggots want the final boss to be a rando I guess
YES
>>
>>2273632
>Smithy's an alien\
Nah, seemed more like extra dimensional shit or something from another kingdom more so than an alien, the shroobs fit that bill.

Stop being a white girl, we can go deeper

>Growlanser last boss was cu-within the military
>Megaman battle net work's live virus was just a virus
>Megman battle network 2 was treble which was virous as well
>Disgaea, dude pretending to be an evil god, but.....
Rosilin was Zenon all,along
>Zettai hero project,Dark death evilman was thought to be an overlord, but he was a mecha suit[/spoiler
>Disgaea 3, the final boss was grooming our hero to be the final a final boss, but he was a hero who had grown bored .
>>
>>2273577
>>2273878
>white girl
Stop shitting up this board and fucking kill yourself already.
>>
>>2273629
>>2273131
the final boss of Cold Steel 4 is Ishmelga, not Osborne.

Did you guys even get the true ending?
>>
>>2273599
because the game outright confirms that Deus was man made.
>>
>>2273940
Yet it created Xenogears humans, and is viewed as a god by them, therefore it is a god. Also >>2273259
>>
>the final bos... is POWERFUL!
well duh...
>>
>>2272894
"Sweet Home" (a really angry ghost), "Legent of the Ghost Lion" (a white lion), Linda3 (evil twin brother, mad scientist, don't remember path 3), "Star Ocean" (interstellar terrorist), Magical World of Wozz (one of your temporary companions), Brave Battle Saga (a mutated king's advisor).
>>
>>2273105
Probably half of SRW's original big bads fall under this as well, just extremely powerful military commanders piloting doomsday weapons with some kind of forbidden blackbox technology. The other 50% of final bosses in the franchise are indeed Star Trek-esque god-like entities. Which is fair, because the player is running around with god-like entities in their own party for the most part.
>>
>>2273575
>FF9: Blue man group
What?
>>
>>2274334
Necron
>>
>>2272894
final boss is a ninja girl
>>
>>2274002
Go fuck yourself turbotard.
>>
>>2273575
FF4 Zeromus is the physical manifestation of hatred and evil.
>>
Just a good old fashioned Devil
>>
>>2275111
Not a 2 year old like you.
>>
>>2273035
Based SaGafag. Was about to post Genocide Heart, a program that constructed a planet busting space ship to annihilate all regions.
>>
>>2272894
FF8 the final boss is your love interest from the future, driven evil/mad from being away from tou for so long
>>
>>2275224
>FF8 the final boss is your love interest from the future

OFFICIALLY debunked:
https://kotaku.com/is-squall-really-dead-final-fantasy-producer-addresses-1800007113
>>
>>2275224
>fanfic
ohnononono
>>
>>2273861
kek
>>
>>2273711
Leon didn't turn himself into the beast in suiko 2,e summoned it by spilling his blood. You see him run away when the seal is broken.

Barbarossa wasn't depressed. What makes him great is that he got even the main villain fooled by pretending he was controlled. He knew fully well what he was doing becausr he was immune to magic. He did all of that shit out of love for a woman that resembled his dead wife.
>>
>>2272894
since you brought FF
FF7
FF8
FFX-2

>>2273861
i don't want you to be the final boss anon
>>
>>2272894
Growlanser 1 the final boss is an acient human fused with a weapon.
Growlanser 2 is either your childhood friend or a mercenary leader.
Growlanser 3 is a dark messenger who is blocking the sun with dark magic.
Growlanser 4 is a fog monster who destroyed the future civilization.
Growlanser 5 is the Queen of an evil race of aquatic monsters.
Growlanser 6 is the leader of an ancient alien race who used said aquatic monsters as weapons.
FF6 is a maniacal being who absorbes some gods powers to rule over the world.
Final Fantasy 8 is a witch who can compress time.
Devil Summoner 1 is a Raidou Kuzunoha from the future who doesnt wants his future to happen and uses a battleship/Robot as a vessel.
Persona 3 is the personification of death itself and in the answer is the personification of humanity desire to die who calls the personification of death into the world.
Shin Megami Tensei 1 is an archangel.
Digital Devil Saga 1 is just the avatar of the creator of an alternate reality meant to create soldiers.
Final Fantasy V is an evil tree who fused with the power of the void.
All I could think of.
>>
>>2276697
Raidou 1, not Devil Summoner 1
>>
>>2276697
but like half of those, just going off your definition, fall into the tropes described in the image. Did you read it before posting
>>
Xenoblade: God (Demiurge variant)
Xenoblade X: your co-worker from down the hall
Xenoblade 2: Siri after too many stupid questions
>>
>>2276898
Other than the alien the others don't apply.
Death isn't evil.
>>
File: 1592632371301.png (396 KB, 639x633)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>2273861
I don't see a problem with this
>>
>>2272894
That's such a ridiculously large list you've included half a dozen entities
>>
File: 1612076373200.png (164 KB, 449x468)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>2276990
No, actually op's picture says Alien THAT'S some bs abstact physical concept of evil.

Doesn't say anything about regular old aliens, just not aliens that are the embodiment of evil.
>>
>>2274002
Kill yourself chink
>>
>>2277089
>>2277089
nope I am not one, I would be shilling for wrpgs if I was.
>>
File: 1lkpl96ljsr61.jpg (66 KB, 1088x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2273255
>OP didn't replied to this
>>
>>2272894
>God
>King
>Alien
>Abstract concept
>Wizard
>Dragon
No Shit
What the fuck could you possibly fight in summation to everything you've done up to that point that couldn't basically be boiled down into one of those categories (and those categories themselves have a lot of overlap)
hEy GuYs DiD yOu kNoW tHaT BIDEO GAEMS, bEiNg GaMeS, hAvE a LoGiCaL pRoGrEsSiOn oF dIfFiCuLtY wItH tHe HaRdEsT eNeMy To KiLl BeInG aT tHe VeRy EnD oF tHe GaMe; AnD tHe StOrY cOnTeXt UsUaLlY tRiEs tO cReAtE lUdOnArRaTiVe HaRmOnY bY aLsO mAkInG tHe eNeMy tHe MoSt PoWeRfUl ObStAcLe In ThE sToRy?????!!!!!
>>
>>2277360
Jesus, the guy became chaos follower from a single post.
>>
>>2273575
Sephiroth is an angel and a manifestation of God, as the name implies. Also his mother is Jehovah.
>>
>>2277402
Retard.
>>
fighting a powerful god like being at the end isn't an inherently terrible idea what bothers me is that a jrpg will usually build up a villain for 80% of the game and then you beat them and the story is like "well actually they were just being controlled/serving this ancient powerful being that was never mentioned before this point and now you have to go beat him" and its like why the fuck should i care why did you invest me in this villain if this is all it leads to
>>
>>2272894
Every pokemon game. Sephiroth in any of the games he's the antagonist. Breath of Fire I and II.
>>
>>2272894
Yakuza.
>>
Are there even any JRPGs were the final boss isn't some manifestation of an abstract concept?
>>
>>2279875
see>>2273105
>>
>>2275257
> kotaku
>>
>>2280196
just because you hate them doesn't make the article any less true
>>
>>2275224
Jesus christ, it's 2021. This shit has been around for decades and people still believe in it.
>>
>>2280380
yeah, look at the fools in >>2276575 that cling to that fanfiction despite the official debunking

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.