[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5275299.jpg (70 KB, 660x330)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Was Dark Souls ever intended to be a trilogy?

Miyazaki seems to design his games to be totally self-contained, like in Demons Souls and Bloodborne. Dark Souls's lore is pretty self contained, and the ending doesn't feel like a cliffhanger so much as just open-ended, much like Demon's Souls was.
>>
>>2272820
I dunno, was Kings Field supposed to have like 5 games on it?
>>
>>2272820
no
>>2272825
no but they did intend for the ps1 trilogy to happen
>>
>>2272820
From was on a three game contract with Bamco. Miyazaki only came back to do DS3 after BB because of how poorly DS2 was received. I hope they never have to do sequels again.
>>
kind of a weird question in a way
I think its pretty self-evident that Dark Souls was not designed as a plot-driven, sequel-minded experience
but I also don't know why it would matter much? would it change your opinion of DS2 or 3 to know they weren't "intended from the start"?
>>2273663
>Miyazaki only came back to do DS3 after BB because of how poorly DS2 was received
is there any evidence of this? DS2 did very well in mainstream reviews, and sold great too.
>>
>>2273732
>is there any evidence of this?
What about almost all of DS2's additions and changes being reverted? DS3 is basically a sped up DS1 in BB's engine. Almost all of the mechanics that got introduced in DS2 were cut, and they even went back to DS1's character animations.

>>2272820
It kind of amuses me that people read so much into these games' lore/story. They're more like a collection of cool set pieces instead of some carefully planned epic that you can "solve" by putting together all the pieces of the puzzle. Dark Souls 3's network test beta was datamined to hell and back and there's not a single trace of Soul of Cinder, and that beta was 5 months away from release. OG final boss was apparently "Eclipse King" using Pontiff's character model, Oceiros was Gundyr (reference to Old King from Demon's Souls I guess), Sulyvahn was Aldritch and so on. They eventually ran out of time and dropped the eclipse story/ending and reshuffled some bosses around. Final boss (SoC) was literally made on cheap using player animations + Gwyn's moveset from DS1, his armor was apparently just another variation of Lothric Knight that got repurposed.

And you dumb lorefags keep reading too much into this shit.
>>
>>2273732
if you look at the lore in ds3 its evident that he draws way more from ds1 than ds2, it feels like he ignores what happened in ds2, lore wise ds2 feels a little of imo

also the only reason, as far as i know, he didnt direct ds2 was because he was working on bb, so he could only supervise it
>>
>>2273753
its kind of meant to be read into though, thats the point, not all info is there to solve the puzzle so your inmagination can fill the rest, so the story is unique for every person, ist one of the reasons why i like the lore
>>
File: lorefags.jpg (1.31 MB, 2292x2036)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>2273753
>>
>>2273765
kek, saved
>>2272820
>Was Dark Souls ever intended to be a trilogy?
Clearly not, lore-wise. In fact, the lore in DkS1 is barely a story at all. It's all vague metaphors, mostly for playing the game itself. If you think you know what it really means to "rekindle the first flame," you don't. It's a metaphor for beating the game (unless you decide defeating Gwyn is good enough). Going hollow is a metaphor for quitting the game. Most of the major NPCs are all treated like they are controlled by players roleplaying them, and then eventually go hollow when the player behind them quits. Solaire is the metaphor for the lorefags trying to find meaning in a game that doesn't have any.
>>2273663
I've said many times I thought DkS2 should have been a clone of DkS1 with no mechanical changes. Treat it like a classic Mega Man sequel and just come up with a new bullshit story, new levels, bosses and boss weapons, and anything else that HAS to change due to the content changes (eg change the Darkmoon blade covenant since there's no Anor Londo) Otherwise keep everything else the same. DkS2 tried to change too much.
>>
>>2273753
You can tell where they hastily shoved zones together because there will be bonfires 20 feet apart.
I fucking hate DS3.
>>
>>2273983
From often end up having to rush their games towards the end, do they?
>>
>>2273986
Sure, every Souls game is unfinished. That's just one thing I hate about 3 because it directly affects gameplay.
Another thing I hate is how the color black doesn't apparently exist in the color palette. Underground caves are dark grey with ambient light coming out of nowhere. Looks like shit.
>>
>>2272820
Of course it wasn't, the first Dark Souls was good and sold like hotcakes so bamco wanted more of that
>>
>>2273663
>I hope they never have to do sequels again.
Same. Though I still itch for something like Bloodborne from time to time.
>>
>>2272820
Demon's Souls endings were pretty clear-cut in my opinion. You could choose between 'Many people died, but the rest of the world is safe. The monster sleeps and the powerful hero is serving as a seal' or 'This asshole is now a very powerful demon and the only one who could calm down the giant, hungry tree is dead. We're dead'.

>>2273916
There were simple metaphors, like the ones you mentioned (Solaire was just a goody-two-shoes who did as he was expected, or at least that's how I always interpreted him. I never really cared about him), but there was also a simple, fairly straightforward story. You were baited with solving a problem like in your average hero's tale, then take the king's throne for yourself as a reward. The path you took was the meat of the story. 'The hero then killed this demon, then he went into a dark forest...', etc. Just like a fairy tale. The little twist was, you were going to end up sacrificing yourself to solve the problem, but that could be seen as a good thing. Or you could let nature do its work and peace out. The fun was in deciding which ending was the one for you. A few areas clued you in, but you weren't expected to notice until you saw the PC burning alive.
The rest was just fluff to make the world look live in, and it doesn't really matter what this witch was up to or what happened to that boss. But then things got really out of hand when the DLC came out. And then the sequels rolled out.

>kindling
Just for fun. To kindle, you need to burn humanity, or sacrifice humanity, something that I always linked to determination, because everyone else 'went hollow' when they fell in despair. That was my personal interpretation, and I don't really care if DS2 or this DLC said exactly what it was, because I never played those.
>>
>>2274300
>The fun was in deciding which ending was the one for you
The fun is getting to the end and defeating Gwyn, that's my point. The story is window dressing.
>>
>>2272820
It's hard to answer because IMO Dark Souls was 100% intended to be a sequel to demons souls and only had to change its name due to the publisher change. But also dark souls 2 and 3 were made because of a contract with namco.
>>
>>2273753
>>2273756
obviously DS3 draws more from DS1 than DS2, but that doesn't mean Miyazaki was actively trying to correct for 2's supposed mistakes or anything like that; it seems much more likely that he directed DS3 because the schedules worked out for it, and he built off of DS1's lore and themes because that's the stuff he already knew and had artistic investment in.
>>
>>2272820
Will DS2 seethers ever shut up because they're still mad at a bullshot trailer from 2013
>>
>>2276928
It wasn't really a bullshot it was more like they didn't have the foresight to realize that shit wouldn't run well on a PS3 / 360. But that's not what matters, the devs made so many stupid fucking decisions and the only aspect that's actually better is PVP, which is busted ass side content in all the souls games anyway. Seriously if you want a good PVP experience play a fighting game
>>
>>2273916
>Solaire is the metaphor for the lorefags trying to find meaning in a game that doesn't have any.

Nice interpretation anon
>>
>>2273753
I think DS1 has a great story, but looking at 2 and 3, the great story of DS1 had to be an accident, or they only had 1 good idea and couldn't think of a new one as good.

-Rise of the gods after war with dragons, like greek gods beating titans. Golden age. Decadence, and you have to slay the old gods and steal their power to keep the world going. It had a homeric greek hero feel, more than medieval fantasy.

DS2 and 3 I couldn't even explain what they were about. and none of the things that people wanted to learn about DS1, like the role of Velka or the snakes, was ever properly explained
>>
>>2280800
>he thinks there ever was a story for any souls game rather than a bunch of vague mumbo jumpo to add simple mystique

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.