[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FantasticWizard.jpg (417 KB, 1404x1872)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
describe your dream rpg
>>
File: msiFI5R.jpg (107 KB, 564x590)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2272291
May I?
I want a 40k RPG based off of Dark Heresy. The fact that GW never realized that they can do Mass Effect in 40k is baffling. Failing that, a Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Find a bunch of Polish devs and you are golden.
You'd think that after the success of The Witcher 3, GW would try to capitalize on their grimdark RPG systems, but apparently, they can't be bothered.
>>
A sort of simulationist deus ex where you play as a detective in a large city.
>>
>>2272291
I want a game where I can roleplay as a happy, fufilled, successful adult.
>>
>>2272291
Fantasy Kingdom Coom-like
>>
>>2272337
thats pretty sad
>>
>>2272291
>take potd out of xiv and make it a game on its own
>add more design variations
>make it infinite
>...
>profit
>>
>>2272291
Kill elves.
>>
I want to BE the grumpy old wizard in the tower. Infinite possibilites from there.
>>
>>2272291
Y'know looking back, Raistlin just needed some pussy.
>>
>>2272371
I'd buy it
>>
>>2272322
this sounds kino
>>
>>2272291
Mad Max style JRPG
>>
>>2272291
Single-player-first game designed like a classic MMO except you control the whole party instead of just one character.
And when I say designed like an MMO I mean the entire world and gameplay structure is designed like Everquest through it's first two expansions, where there's no pretense that you need any special justification to go out exploring and killing monsters. There's plenty of room for interesting faction interplay and lore without needing to come up with elaborate main quest storylines.

Combat could be realtime or turn-based that part I'm not picky about so long as it's good.
>>
>>2272291
CONAN
PLEASE
>>
File: perfect game.jpg (1.55 MB, 1360x1668)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
How about this.
A band of small time spirits are vying for the throne to be celestial tier deity in a wide range tournament similiar to that of "Gash Bell" or "Shaman King" they fight one another in Gigantic mecha castles. I have a much more detailed explanation, I was actually about to make this game come to frution, but we didn't get the deal at GDC.
>>
File: 15-1.jpg (1.24 MB, 1920x1080)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>2272322
This game sounds exactly like what you're looking for.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/
But be warned that it's an indie game in development by like one guy so manage your expectations
>>
>>2272311
Nah, it would be dull brown
>>2272337
>>2272343
>>2272371
stop acting like a white girl

>>2272435
could be cool.
>>2272466
we had that in arc the lad 3 kinda

>>2272477
ew......Well we have growlancer for that.
>There's plenty of room for interesting faction interplay and lore without needing to come up with elaborate main quest storylines.

WTF? The story is the main appeal of Rpgs, wrpg dudes are crazy

>>2272486
No, when established ips become games they are shit look at 4,5,6th gen game.s
>>
>>2272486
I think Conan would be best as an action game when playing as Conan. Though not strictly linear one
>>
File: 4047070629c.jpg (155 KB, 620x960)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
So it's PSO

But fantasy instead of sci fi
>>
A sandbox roguelike with SaGa mechanics.
>>
>>2272291
You start as a literal fucking who Johnny Fuckstick in the middle of nowhere. You're from a region that's a frontier boarder between two larger powers.
The game doesn't really give you any quests outright. You just kind of figure out how to make some money and get a roof over your head.
As you start developing your skills and trades an AI director would start creating prompts and story hooks in the world, as well as the game also being very reactive to you. So if you just go from town to town cleaning vendors out of their coin with worthless vendor trash and garbage you crafted you'd break the economy, and people would get pissed at you for hoarding wealth. And then the crown would get pissed because you have all the coins in circulation which means they can't extract taxes from anyone now. Or if you go and hunt all the deer in the forest, hungry wolves start coming into town because you removed their prey from the forest.
And that would be a lot of the game. If you're an adventurer who goes plundering ancient tombs, or fighting monsters, you'd develop a reputation that makes you a target to some people, and getting offers for bigger quests and rewards, until you piss off some vampire lord because you killed his second cousin's favorite werewolf.
What I'd really want is an ability to build your own little house, that depending on how you play the game becomes a settlement, which becomes a town, which becomes a fortified castle. You could let it grow organically, or start doing some city building and anticipating needs so you become Baron of your own little city that can be independent or aligned with the major factions. Again, make sure the world reacts to it. If you build a large cathedral to house holy relics you've recovered then you'll start having pilgrims making treks to your town. Or mages and necromancers setting up colleges and shops nearby to research your orb of bullshit you found.
>>
You are a jew in Paris at the height of WWII, as France has just surrendered and is now occupied.
You either join the nazis as an insider, help the resistance, try to stay underground, or all the above. There’s no easy escape, and you spend the entire game trying to make amends, or get sent to a concentration camp (or worse).
Some dungeon crawling perhaps for the Paris catacombs or underground railroads. Gameplay would mostly be bartering and deception checks, but some jews can solve problems with intellect like Einstein, or maybe with force.
>>
AI Dungeon with graphics.
>>
>>2272291
Arcanum but as a completed game instead of a semi-finished empty world. World map of the same size but full of locations and hundreds of side quests.
>>
>>2272466
This already exist
>>
>>2272291
Caves of Qud but as an open-source platform for mods with some kind of advanced program to prevent conflicts and extremely highly optimized. Then it needs to receive the same amount of modding attention as Skyrim did. Just layer the simulation deeper and deeper and make the world bigger and bigger, forever.
Oh, and without the pozzed shit. It's like, elona is mechanically garbage and the story/art is anime trash. Qud is mechanically great and the art is good but it's pozzed. And neither was designed from the ground up to be a modding platform the way it should be for ultimate longevity. A game with good bones like qud with as intuitive a user interface as possible, with a modding interface that's as intuitive as possible, and a custom level creation kit that intersects somehow with the random generation, and a way to "feed" content to the gpt3 style ai text generator prompts-basically, Tarn Adams should have never made dwarf fortress into a colony sim. It was supposed to be an endless rpg
>>
Mechanically, something that fleshes out things like dodge, block, parry, and your armor and/or shield absorbing the blows and setting proper priorities i.e. (You) dodge, but if you can't then you block with your shield, but if you can't then you parry it, but if you can't then your character makes an attempt to have the hit land on an armored part if he's fast enough or trained in making sure the hits hit the armored parts.

Thematically, something like >>2272322, or an Arcanum, or have someone take a shake at more fantasy shit.

>>2272311
For a while I thought Inquisitor Martyr would've been that, but it was more like Diablo. The only thing Mass Effect about it was the guns and the cover system.
>>
File: unknown.png (596 KB, 687x572)
596 KB
596 KB PNG
SaGa roguelike
SaGa /mon/ game
SaGa SRPG
SaGa DRPG
SaGa MMO
Shin Megami Tensei Mystery Dungeon
Nippon Ichi vs Flight-Plan crossover
Warhammer RPG
Warhammer 40K RPG
Arcanum 2
Discworld RPG
Wheel of Time RPG
Outlaw Star RPG
Slayers RPG (I know it had games on the Super Nintendo and Saturn, but it deserves a modern game)
Kirby RPG
Wonder Boy/Monster World RPG
Cannon Busters RPG
Redwall RPG
Rocket Knight Adventures RPG
Ushio & Tora RPG
Dresden Files RPG
Dark is Rising RPG
Dark Tower RPG
Symphogear RPG
Buck Rogers RPG (I know there were the old Gold Box games, but it deserves a modern game)
Project X Zone 3 (adds Konami and Koei Tecmo to the fold)
>>
>>2272337
Maybe Persona 6 will interest you
>>
A SaGa-like game with thicker plotlines set in something like Malazan.

Deep sea horror/exploration with mech combat that's tactical and deadly.

A more schizo version of Disco Elysium where different builds alters your character's perception and symptoms.
>>
>>2272862
>SaGa /mon/ game
I have also wished for this
>>
>>2272291
Planescape: Torment 2
>>
>>2272597
holy fuck it is
>>
File: 1567340278009.jpg (27 KB, 512x384)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>2272996
>it's a hack and slash game set in the Blood War with you playing as a level 40 TNO killing demons and devils left and right
>>
>>2273038
That would be really cool. Add third person perspective and an endless shizo gameplay loop with no way out in style of E.Y.E. and its golden.
>>
>>2272291
Writing of Disco Elysium, gameplay of Divinity II
>>
Gothic 2 with improved UI and graphics. Mayyybe improved combat but not like Dark Souls, something more grounded, with more "weight" idk

Divinity OS II set in the grim darkness of the far future
>>
>>2273038
Shhhh, don't give some hack company these weird ideas.
>>
>>2272645
>ew
Another way to put it might be: Icewind Dale but Open World and not D&D (because I'm sick of that, too).
>WTF? The story is the main appeal of Rpgs
It's really not. The main appeal is, has always been, and will always be the gameplay.
The story-first mentality is so frustrating, because it's not like I hate story-driven RPGs. I'm not one of those WRPG shitposters who claims JRPGs aren't RPGs because they don't force you to commit to a build before playing the game, don't have an open world where you can roleplay a murder hobo and kill any NPC you want and the game has elaborate branching narratives and all that shit. Those guys are fucking idiots.

There are a bajillion story-heavy RPGs. I'm sick of them. Especially when the heaviness of the story kills any interest I might otherwise have in playing. The most recent story-heavy RPG that put me to sleep with all its fucking dialog was Tyranny.

Open World Icewind Dale
Skyrim but with good combat, good dungeons, a better world layout, and less focus on questing bullshit.
Everquest but single-player, with more combat variety, less grinding and timesinks.
>>
Grandia Xtreme 2
New Matsuno SRPG
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter 2
Crimson Shroud 2
>>
So it's fairly conclusive. Dream rpg=trash.
>>
>>2273207
post yours
>>
>>2273230
Spelljammer space-sim RPG.
>>
>>2273178
>>2273178
I mean many of these games have good builds even though they are a tad linear
>arc the lad
>seiken densetsu 3
>star ocean
>phantom brave

Honestly I don't want to be the character, I want hear a story from someone in a different situation, whether it be fat salesmen, gods, possesed shaman girls, etc. I would rather listen to a great story and be rewarded for going out of my way for finding better story points; then supposedly make my own.

The thing is these wrpg deals you mention lack of art direction and innovation in exchange for freedom. I would much rather have a game with an interesting designs and art style rather than that semi-real tolkein esque or joe madd/blizzard kinda deal/
>INB4 moe anime
nah, it can be anything.

Arc the Lad had a central story, but many side stories like ruin exploration and hunter's guild missions; that introduced more world building.
>>
A crazy sci-fantasy rpg in a world that has the aesthetics of Metal Hurlant artists like Moebius and Druillet.
>>
>>2272291
SMT 4 but in 3d, gameplay is a revamped version of FFVIIR, or at least Guardians of the Galaxy (as in your Flynn and you give commands to your demons in real time). Tokyo would have demons roaming around (no random encounters), and talking would be a command that triggers dialogues, depending of the demon its how hard it is to get his attention, after that you can talk to them, etc
>>
I'd make a science fantasy game like Phantasy Star but with a FFV style job system.
>>
File: 1473983506842.jpg (172 KB, 480x384)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Dragon Quest SRPG that isn't a tech demo or gachashit
>>
>>2272996
We already had that. It sucked.
>>
File: IMG_3207.png (163 KB, 278x499)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>2272291
I want Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, but just with like 10 times the content
I know that sounds dumb, but I just really like the game and it's the right amount of thinking and not-having-to-think for me to enjoy it
>>
>>2272291
Sword of the Kings: Fellowship of the King. DLC would be The Two Powers and The Concern of the King

It's a dream RPG so the specifics are dreamlike in their vagueness, but it would capture the magic of being an unimportant person in a vast world, making and losing good friends, going on an enormous journey with dangerous adventure and leaving as an important person.

>>2272597
>>2272322
https://store.steampowered.com/app/752960/Synther/

Hmmm. Surely we will have a game to play soon.
>>
>>2272291
first-person game in a unique, alien fantasy setting, with open-ended systems, a main story that's interesting but not necessarily urgent, multiple joinable factions that have conflicting quests, and a smaller, dense open-world

so basically morrowind but in a new place and more polished
>>
>>2272291
Morrowind 2 without Todd and his KISSfags.

>>2273674
You're so fucking based. I've been looking for the same shit too and all I can do is mod Rimworld and be schizo pretending it's FFTA2
>>
>>2272862
>Kirby RPG
I agree, it works perfectly as a Dungeon Crawler
>>
>>2273853
It would be nice to see towns and things that nature instead of a pure dungeon crawler, would make for a betteraction rpg.
>>
>>2273744
>first person
>No party members
>SELF INSERT
>build a character

kinda shitty.
>>
File: west-wastes-tov-ext.png (1.32 MB, 1598x898)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>2273335
>good builds even though they are a tad linear
I just looked up a longplay of Arc the Lad to see an example of the gameplay and the first 35 minutes of the game appears to be entirely cutscenes. Specifically what I want is a game with no cutscenes where I just get dropped in the world and can go start playing immediately. There can be a main story so long as I'm not forced into it right away.
>The thing is these wrpg deals you mention lack of art direction and innovation in exchange for freedom.
Icewind Dale has top-tier art.
Skyrim has pretty good art once you look past the ugly character designs and samey dungeons.
Everquest is fairly generic and late 90s lowpoly graphics but don't knock it if you haven't played it, the original character models have a lot of charm and there's a massive variety of settings and architecture.
>lack of innovation
What a joke. Everquest was perhaps the most innovative game of its time. The first game to actually succeed making a 3D MUD. Square just lifted the formula from Everquest for Final Fantasy XI.
> I would much rather have a game with an interesting designs and art style rather than that semi-real tolkein esque or joe madd/blizzard kinda deal/
>inb4 moe anime
You're ruling out everything from Icewind Dale to Joe Madd, it sure looks to me that so long as it's made by a westerner it's not interesting and doesn't deserve to be called art direction but if it's made by Japanese it's incredibly interesting and definitely good art direction.
>>
>>2272291
Elder Scrolls but combining the creativity and writing of Morrowind with the smoothness of Skyrim quality of life and comfyness. Also give me lots of ways to complete quests, many outcomes, for actual role-playing. Also a bigger variety in items, spells and weapon-types would be cool.
>also, set in elsweyr
>>
>>2273889
>I just looked up a longplay of Arc the Lad to see an example of the gameplay and the first 35 minutes
https://youtu.be/iNDLmUPIrq0?t=557
here are some battles.

>dropped in the world and can go start playing immediately.
That's why I quit platformers, story is essential. If it was an rpg in a field with random monsters it would suck.

>Icewind Dale has top-tier art.
hyperreal isn't my thing, but it looks alright

>Skyrim has pretty good art once you look past the ugly character designs and samey dungeons.
Character art is everything, if that sucks it all falls apart.

>Everquest was perhaps the most innovative game of its time
I am guessing you are PC only.

> it sure looks to me that so long as it's made by a westerner it's not interesting
nah, that's not it, if it looks like it is a white dude who is coping for not being 6'2 it will look like shit. If there was an earthworm jim styled wrpg I would be all for it
>>
>>2273962
Icewind Dale is not hyperreal. It really looks like you don't know what you're talking about.
>If it was an rpg in a field with random monsters it would suck.
For you.
Of course there needs to be a gameplay loop. You need to venture out into the wilderness, crawl a dungeon, then return to a safe city to rest and re-supply. There should be a good variety within that dynamic, with plenty of different cities to travel to and interesting things to discover.
>Character art is everything
It's one thing.
>I am guessing you are PC only.
The most innovative games of the late 90s were on PC.
>if it looks like it is a white dude who is coping for not being 6'2
You just have extremely weeb taste.
>>
>>2273892
>Elder Scrolls but combining the creativity and writing of Morrowind with the smoothness of Skyrim quality of life and comfyness.
I actually wouldn't mind if ES finally took some cues from Gothic 1/2 when it comes to immersive worlds. Because Gothic was always ahead of Elder Scrolls when it comes to living worlds.
>>
Dark Souls 4
>>
>>2274281
That exists. It's called Elden Ring.
>>
>>2274254
>Icewind Dale is not hyperreal.
looks pretty real to me.

> You need to venture out into the wilderness, crawl a dungeon, then return to a safe city to rest and re-supply
That's honestly why I don't like most dungeon crawlers, there has to be a rhyme and reason to everything .
>It's one thing.
when the characters look like horseshit everything else falls apart.
>The most innovative games of the late 90s were on PC.
Nah, we got plenty of innovative games during the console wars of old.

>You just have extremely weeb taste.
nah, I want to play as everything and anything. Monsters,freaks, mascots, not just muscular white dudes and hyperreal races. The god of war director said in an interview that Kratos, is what he wishes he could be, but he is a 5'8 fat white dude. That's cope. I'm not coping,.
>>
>>2272291
a better-written, more mature Trails-series esque RPG series. perhaps a little higher budget and more interesting gameplay design, but keep the core appeal the same (long-running series, many games, interlocking events, characters, and lore).
>>
>>2273038
>STEAL A SOUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE
>WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF MAN
>>
File: 1635007850500.jpg (246 KB, 943x992)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>2272291
>describe your dream rpg

Basically it would be Final Fantasy XI, but offline, combined with Daggerfall, Skyrim, and Dragon's Dogma.

To describe it more specifically, you would have "tab-targeting" combat similar to an MMO, where you would control one character at a time and the rest of your party would be controlled with a pre-programmed AI system like the gambit system, (So you could say, "When Party Member : Below 1/2 Health = Cast: Cure 1" For example.)
You could fully flesh out your character's appearance at the beginning of the game using a character creator like Black Desert Online's or the modded ones made for Skyrim. So you could make a serious character or fetish shit if you so desire.
Characters you hire into your party would be randomly generated and could be hired at various taverns in the game, and over time you could deck them all out in hundreds of different types of equipment.

The game would feature a great deal of end-game and post-game content including various "bottomless dungeon" and "infinite tower" challenges.

Once every couple of years there would be a new expansion or DLC where you could go to a new island, region, or tower and get abotu 10 to 20 more hours of story.
>>
An amalgamation of Solasta's vertical maps and WotR and NWN tool set.
>>
File: 1621172816530.jpg (86 KB, 728x546)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2272291
I don't know why, but this thread reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a looong time.

When I was in highschool, I wrote an idea for a game in a notebook called "Legend of Slut Dungeon" or something like that. Imagine a roguelike Dungeon-crawler that was similar to Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword Game mode. You would make a slutty futa warrior woman, and you would design her as well as selecting all of her stats, then you'd have her go through dungeons fighting, seducing, and forcing herself on other warrior women, and you'd gradually build a team of the most powerful ones. At the lowest levels you'd fight succubi and fire demonesses, and eventually you'd slut your way to freedom...

Also, if they remastered Champions of Norrath I and II, that would be cool.
>>
Dragon's Dogma 2. Or, revive Dragon's Dogma Online and localize it.
>>
>>2274271
Lol no. Gothic is just retarded eurojank simulator.
>>
File: 1604802110974.jpg (210 KB, 1024x1005)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Baldur's gate but it uses D&D 1e B/X rules instead of AD&D 2e rules. No main story but a randomly generated world with a set of randomly generated plots and factions. Call it ''the Wilderlands of High Fantasy''.
>>
>>2272291
You play as an old man going for one last adventure to save the world. Can be with your old party membets. Your skills are not as good as they were in your youth but you "level up" and use higher level skills via something like a "soul" gauge or something. A burst of your old power coming to the surface.

At one point you and your lot beat the shit out of your typical jrpg party that think they are the saviors.
>>
>>2272291
A Delta Green tactical RPG. Build a cell of agents or recruit premade agents who show up during the campaign, pursue investigations with multiple paths to success depending on your team's makeup of federal agencies and skill sets, and attend your opera nights loaded with weaponized /k/ autism. Upon starting a new game, you get to choose whether to go with the standard DG experience or a more action-packed Pulp Cthulhu style. Depending on the era, players might get the option to choose between the Cowboys and Program factions.
>>
>>2272291
Like Star Wars Galaxies but with super heroes and updated combat
>>
>>2272291
Dragon Age: Origins gameplay. Path of Exile Skill trees and character development. Runescape quests and progression. Based in Mother of Learning setting.
>>
>>2272291
Sandbox RPG where I can go on adventure with my dragon wife.
>>
Divinity 3. Notice, not Divinity: Original Sin 3.
>>
File: xenogears-combos.jpg (76 KB, 640x480)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Combo system like Xenogears but combat plays more like classic arcade fighting games
>>
>>2276573
Also: sovlfvl sprites, no 3d shit
>>
>>2276264
This, with extremely pulpy aesthetics and modding support. Also an in-game campaign editor.
>>
>>2276572
They wouldn't know how to solve the story after the massive cliffhanger that they left in the ending of DII.
>>
Stranger of Paradise but with 3 active job slots, Atelier equipment, and a story that isn't edgy as fuck.

Breath of Fire that uses dragon quarter's combat with midcombo dragon transformations, together with SaGa formations that can be hotswapped.

Vanguard Bandits with Front Mission hit locations and non-mech enemy types. Trials of Mana job tiers that modify the skillsets of the primary cast, and destructible terrain to create and remove cover and pathways.
>>
>>2272291
Something like Rising of Shield hero where I can rescue and raise beastmen.
Anything with beastmen really.
A cat is fine too.

Captcha: GAAYY
>>
>>2277779
I suggest trying "Bunny Black". Just don't touch the second game...
>>
File: Glissa Sunseeker.png (1.36 MB, 1474x1050)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>2272291
The dream RPG I'd like to play? A Scrollslike set on Mirrodin with Morrowind-era mechanical/design principals.
The dream RPG I'd like to make? A first-person bloober in a biomechanical hellscape, think Blame! by way of Might & Magic.
>>
>>2277438
slight adjustment

Stranger of Paradise but with 3 active job slots, materia slots with meaningful effects instead of rng looter stat juggling, and a story that isn't edgy as fuck.
>>
Its called Dragons Dogma 2
>>
>>2272291
Dragon's dogma bit with a story actual party members and decent side quests. And Im not really all that hot on Dragons Dogma as is but the concept could easily be expanded to be a top tier game.
>>
>>2274695
>looks pretty real to me.
It's not an anime or cartoon character, that is true. But it's not real and most definitely not "hyperreal". There's a distinct brush style, a clearly fantasy sword, vague impressions of the background, and so on.
>>2274695
>we got plenty of innovative games during the console wars of old.
None of the console games released in 1998-2000 were more innovative than Everquest, especially not in the RPG space.
> Monsters,freaks, mascots, not just muscular white dudes and hyperreal races.
> I'm not coping,.
The "Lady" doth protest to much, methinks.
>>
Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
>>
I dont know how to reply to people but dragons dogma is a top tier game and you can suck eggs
>>
what Cyberpunk 2077 should have been instead of what we got
>>
>>2279437
click on their post number and it will pull up a quick reply box for you
>>
File: waitingtodie.jpg (14 KB, 229x204)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Valkyrie Profile 3
>>
>>2279356
> There's a distinct brush style, a clearly fantasy sword, vague impressions of the background, and so on.
you know what I mean man, don't beat around the bush, there is a difference between photoreal and hyper real.

>None of the console games released in 1998-2000 were more innovative than Everquest,
>MGS
>Mario Party
>Pokemon stadium
not my cup of tea but the first linked n64-gb game
>yugioh and pokemon being released as the first tgc games on console
>dragon quest monsters
>paper mario
never had been a paper rpg like that
>smash bros

and that's off the top of my fucking head, there were many firsts
WTF is wrong with you? What makes everquest innovative even?

>The "Lady" doth protest to much, methinks.
Nah, I am tired of seeing these boring paragons, we need freaks and mascots again.
>>
Souls-like RPG where you are a shapeshifting abomination "Frankenstein monster-esque" creature, and you gain and swap body parts of enemies you kill. Mix and match for different builds, stats, abilities, and mobility.

Set in a fractured worls collided setting, where different fragments of different worlds are suddenly intersecting, and different factions within each world and representing each world are fighting for control. Depending on your faction of choosing, the story changes, the companions change, and so on.

There is a companion who is a stereotypical old wizard who unsheaths his robe and is jacked as hell and all his spells are just self buffs and he fight by using hand to hand combat. There is a boss who is giant lizard that run on two legs on water. There is a faction that comprises out of monkeys and apes who are in a war againts reptilians. You can have a walking table as a pet. You can equip a TV screen as a helment.
>>
>>2276264
I'd just love a game that captures the Elmore look.
>>
File: 202370-hrist_concept.jpg (132 KB, 618x640)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>2279614
Reminder Hrist is the only Valkyrie to not get her own game,
>>
>>2279919
How would that even work? You know what with her being a massive bitch and all.
>>
>>2272486
Check out the Conan mods for neverwinter nights; they're good (especially the second, gets a little buggy at the end though).
>>
>>2279618
>What makes everquest innovative even?
It's hilarious that you even have to ask this. Do you even have the first clue how many technical problems have to be solved to get a 3D MMO running so seamlessly? EQ was the first commercially successful 3D MMO (and Meridian 59 was a PC game too, as was Ultima Online). It was the first game where you could roleplay a character in first-person, realtime 3D with other players. You could easily group up with friends from the other side of the planet and do a dungeon crawl together. The game was extremely social with fully cooperative gameplay. Pokemon Stadium is NOTHING like this. Everquest had a HUGE open world with 14 cities, nearly 50 big zones to explore, hundreds of NPCs, quests, and monsters. Everquest provided full customer service with active GMs as well as development teams that frequently added new content. They would have server-wide GM-run events when new zones were opened or new expansions were released. No console had anything remotely like this in 1999. The closest was Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, which wasn't really that close. The first real MMO to come out for a console would be Final Fantasy XI for PS2 in 2002, which pretty much copied Everquest but used a Final Fantasy style job system.
>MGS
MGS came out almost at the same time as Thief: The Dark Project on PC. Everquest had stealth mechanics, incidentally. Not as sophisticated as Thief or MGS, but stealth was important.
>Mario Party
Sure, party games are a console thing. Nobody is ever going to sit around your PC playing a party game so it makes sense that any kind of innovations there happen on console.
>Paper mario
Literally just an aesthetic difference.
>Smash
Just a tendified 3D Fighting Game. 3D FGs originated in Arcades during the mid-90s.

None of those are more innovative than EQ.
>>
File: One Nation Under conc.jpg (859 KB, 1360x1668)
859 KB
859 KB JPG
>>2272291
It's basically a comic I'm writing for the sole purpose of eventually selling out to make a game
>>
>>2273674
I played FFTA mod with zero laws, and it definitely changed my impression of the game. Without laws the game is very simple and it's quite easy to win any encounter. Really the only difficulty is minmaxing levels in such a way you can get tons of speed and whatever attack stat your planning.
(filling your party with lvl 1 mooks and grinding AP for all the abilities you want, then firing them all and levelling thief/assassin seems to do the trick).
There's other small details as well such as perfectly planning the map, capturing monsters, stealing gear, and completing time sensitive missions.
Overall I think the law system forces you away from these strategies, meaning you can't grind in a game entirely built for grinding. Does it add difficulty? Yes. Is it annoying and artificial? Also yes.
>>
An endless dungeon VR dungeon crawler full of moster girls who need BHC (big hero cock)
>>
>>2280646
> EQ was the first commercially successful 3D MMO
Who even had a good PC back then? Dead serious.
>was the first game where you could roleplay a character in first-person, realtime 3D with other players.
sure who would want to though? There had been first person wrpgs beforehand and they weren't fun.
> Pokemon Stadium is NOTHING like this.
I never said I liked pokemon stadium, I was just saying the console link was something new.
>Everquest had a HUGE open world with 14 cities,
and it looked terrible
>quests,
collecting 20 wolf pelts isn't that monumental
>monsters
generic wolves, bears, and elemental variants of regular animals yawn.
>The closest was Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast.
what about that korean sprite one.IDK

MMOs and traditional fantasy aren't my thing. I am not trying to escape, or be the character I just want a good story.

>Thief: The Dark Project on PC
I never even heard of this

>Sure, party games are a console thing.
Nothing like this was ever made before that's thing, MMOS existed, but party games didn't

>Literally just an aesthetic difference.
the paper mechanics actually played a part too

>Just a tendified 3D Fighting Game
Along with powerstone they combined the platformer and fighting game

>Literally just an aesthetic difference.
I think you have a forest Bias, new genres were being made on the console, while tweaks were made on PC.
>>
>>2280780
Get a clue and some kind of perspective before trying to argue holy shit.
>>
>>2272291
Some FF + ES vibe mix where you're a blue mage in a large and easily moddable world so you can keep replaying.
>>
>>2280753
this, with haptic feedback on benis

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.