[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (60 KB, 616x353)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
am i just supposed to let myself lose every fight?
>>
>>2261142
Yes, it builds toughness. Feel free to lose to anyone with blunt weapons or who won't start eating you when you fall over.

Also Kenshi isn't really an RPG, it just pretends to be. It's actually an RTS except each of your units has autistic detail in its stats.
>>
Unironically yes. I like Kenshi, but it's a bizarre system.

The way Kenshi's leveling system works, you gain more experience the tougher the thing you're doing is. So for example, the tougher the lock is that you're lockpicking, the more experience you'll gain when you finally crack the lock. Makes sense right?

It does until you get into combat. You actually never want to win a battle in Kenshi. If you win a battle, that means the enemies you're fighting are no longer tough for your party, which means you're going to level up at a much slower rate.

So the game devolves into a weird sado-masochism simulator, where you're exploring the world not for better loot, but for stronger enemies to butt rape your guys in battle. Because if by the end of a battle, your guys aren't bleeding out on the ground crippled in 3 different limbs, they're not leveling efficiently.
>>
>>2261152
Debatable. The game is balanced around using a small adventuring party (like 8 guys max) while the other 25 or so characters stay at your base defending it, crafting, farming, mining, etc.

Technically you can walk around the map curbstomping everything with a squad of 10+ guys but it's not balanced that way and it's way more annoying to play that way because you then have to pack enough food and medical supplies for 10 people plus shove them all into a bar to heal when they get beat up.
>>
Best way to train toughness is to get up after playing dead while surrounded by a large pack of enemies. Starving bandits are the best because they only take your food.
>>
>>2261142
Still better than Morrowind's combat
>>
>>2261142
Yes, welcome to kenshi, where you grind stats by intentionally losing, grind initial ores for gold so you can realistically gain a headstart, micromanage everyone in your party like an RTS.
>>
>start playing again since before they added the last map quarter
>can't even run from the hub to blister hill without the game taking gigantic loading breaks
i knew they were already fully into kenshi 2 development, but i kinda hoped they would iron this shit out
>>
>>2261260
holy obsessed
>>
>>2261161
So Rimworld is an RPG?
>>
>>2261152
>>2261154
this sounds repetitive
>>
>>2261142
>>2262891
You don't have to lose. Losing just builds toughness quicker. IIRC, you can attack enemies and get hit by them and it'll still train your toughness. There's a lot of ways to play the game and most of it includes grindan stats. You could also just steal a couple of shit, sell it and hire mercenaries who will accompany you into ruins as bodyguards. It worked very well for me and I didn't have to grind at all.
>>
>>2261142
Yes really. As long as you live and can recover you haven't really lost anything and will learn from the experience. By that I mean your character improves from every beat down he gets that isn't crippling or fatal.
>>
>>2261152
>each of your units has autistic detail in its stats
the stats system seems pretty simple to me.
>>
>>2261152
It is the most role playing game of any on this fucking board. You actually get to pick what the fuck you want to do and can do it. The game also does nothing to make you a special fucking snowflake.
>>
>>2261142
You're supposed to get disappointed when you realize how shallow the world and interactions are.
>>
>>2265238
>t. plays jrpgs for the deep storylines
>>
>>2265217
>pick what the fuck you want to do
Let's see,
>get beaten for muh toughness
>grind other stats
>steal items
>mine ores
>build furnitures/items
>kill shit
>role play / micro each of your party because no ai
uh....that's too deep bro.
>>
>>2265250
>purposefully reductive trying to make an own, still describes way more gameplay than most of the shit that gets jacked off over on this shithole
Ok?
>>
>>2265254
>limiting his vision on games posted on a tibetan basket weaving forum
o-ok
>>
File: kenshi_fun_with_spiders.jpg (541 KB, 1369x1251)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>2261142
Nah, just find tougher fights that you can lose without trying.
Try the Shrieking Forest.
>>
>>2262891
It is.
You can make this more "efficient" by capturing all the tough dudes and having daily fighting tournaments at your base but that's not exactly fun.
At the end of my playthrough I was wishing I was playing a Kenshi Mountain Blade mod instead.
>>
>install genesis overhaul
>copper is worth just slightly more than iron now
i'm lost
>>
>>2265564
You should never sell ore anyway.
>>
File: 1453923476752.gif (373 KB, 500x375)
373 KB
373 KB GIF
kenshi newfag here, how do you make money in the early stages?
>>
>>2265565
why not? other than it being boring
>>
>>2265566
>go find some bandits
>run away as soon as they see you
>lead them to a city
>let the guards kill them
>loot the bodies and sell the equipment
>if any of the bandits got bounties while fighting the guards, or if you started near the United Cities area, also sell the bandits themselves

>>2265568
That's really the main reason. Kenshi has a lot of boring things in it, but mining ore to sell is the most boring of them all.
It also pays like shit and is a lot more risky than it seems. If you just run it at x4 speed without paying attention, it's only a matter of time before you get ganked.
>>
>>2265566
The newfag miner
The easy mob lurer
The learning traderfag
The adept thief fag
The skilled bounty hunter
The chad mercenary hirer
>>
File: 1590937569615.jpg (57 KB, 500x375)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2265566
My first time playing I would just sneak around the bast area and wait for the holy faggots and the uc patrols to fight each other and I'd then steal the gear off of their lifeless bodies once the battle was over.
>>
>>2265566
Theft. Breaks the game.
Stealth always on.
>>
>>2265566
you can get extremely lucky with fights breaking out and looting some ultra high quality gear.
it's also apparently easy to make a killing with trading if you know where to go to buy and sell but i never really looked into it.
thievery is probably the most reliable option. looting items from containers requires thievery skill if you don't want to get caught, but you can easily level it by just picking up items off the shelves. holt alt to see them
>>
>>2261142
You don't have to. You can use the non-hostile ai like town guards to take the attention of enemies while you raise your attack skills. There are many ways to level.
>>2261152
>Yes, it builds toughness.
Taking damage in general does so. The guy passing out in a fight just gives a bit more. It's possible to kite away from the enemies if you're guys can run fast enough and don't have too much leg damage.
>>
>>2261161
>The game is balanced
No.
>>
>>2265730
The "accidental guard crossbow friendly fire leads to entire merchant caravan being wiped out" opportunist
>>
Mine copper until you have an inventory full, slow walk to build up some strength, stealth, and run speed. Sell copper maybe mine a more, steal some bandit loot, etc.
Buy hash in the swamps, sell in flats lagoon with 0 risk and massive price increase.

repeat and then do whatever the fuck you want because now you have money: Buy bull, put pack on him, hire mercs, trade more. Hire buddies, train em on bandits, go get beep in mourn, go on a world tour, whatever.
>>
>>2266640
I should mention when I say 0 risk I don't mean in between the swamps and flats, beak things, bloodspiders etc are in between. Its just that flats lagoon guards and people don't care about hash and they don't bag check you, and the one store is open 24 hours to buy your shit.
>>
Just started the game, not sure what to think desu. Each of the mechanics seem to be as deep as a puddle and focus entirely on spamming repetitive actions. Am I missing something or is the game really just endless grinding and trading? What are some fun/interesting things to do? Also curious: what's stopping me from just building up every stat for my characters
>>
>places will respawn items at the start of the day, even if everyone there is dead

I keep luring enemies into places so that they will potentially kill everyone there and let me freely loot items from this little single or two building places.
>>
>>2266645
The game is one big giant sandbox for you to play with. You really have to make your own fun in it, roleplay in your head what your characters do, etc.
>>
>>2266645
minmaxing is a terribly boring way to play
pick a theme, pick a goal, find something to do
liberate all the slaves or run the biggest drug-smuggling empire or wipe out the cannibals or become a ruins explorer/tech hunter or something, don't just grind up stats in one place forever until you think you've got "enough"

nothing will happen until you do things.
>>
>>2266645
it's like mount and blade but instead of action combat you have deeper rpg and sandbox mechanics
>>
>>2266645
>gets a giant sandbox where you can do almost anything
>ugh so boring what do i even do
Go play Skyrim.
>>
>>2262891
This is not a game for he who values his time.
>>
>>2261152
By this logic Fallout isn’t an RPG.
>>
>>2261152
>Also Kenshi isn't really an RPG
It's more of an RPG than a lot of other 'RPG's out there. Think about it. RPGs should be letting the player go on an adventure, interacting with NPCs and fauna and shit, taking quests, finding loot, etc.

Instead, RPGs have become romancefests, story shit, owning houses and having therapy sessions through internal monologues.
>>
>>2266645
congrats, you just discovered that the game is an offline mindless mmo rts-lite. unlike what the kenshifag is spamming, doing 'anything' revolves on grinding shit to get shit done. You can't do shit unless you survive; heck unless you search for guides, you will not know what's up ahead so you will die which means you'll have to grind to survive the unknown. Smuggling is barebones and there's really no indepth economy. Every mechanic is barebones, you want rpg base building play x game instead. You want farming rpg? No, there is a better game for that. You want economy simulator with smuggling? There are better options which makes the grind fun, instead of mindless repetitive shit this game throws out to you. Game will be 'fun' in the sense that you'll have to roleplay it all in your mind & to have fun imagining things.
>>
>>2267076
>you want rpg base building play x game instead.
name one
>You want economy simulator with smuggling? There are better options which makes the grind fun, instead of mindless repetitive shit this game throws out to you.
name one
>>
>>2267168
>RPG
Spellforce
>smuggling
Star Traders: Frontiers
>>
>>2261142
I enjoyed my game where I started with two slaves in the holy nation only to raise up and destroy both it and the United cities (might have been with mods but I recall getting a large group of 100 by the end and assaulting both, with about 15 left alive by the end) but I kind of want to try again, with a much smaller group having one specialized with each weapon type. Any mods worth looking at?
>>
>>2267170
I don't like phone games, nerd.
I wouldn't say any of those are remotely better than kenshi though jokes aside.
>>
>>2265930
anon's first out of context quote everybody, let's give a big round of applause for his learning that statements require context to mean anything! Great job buddy!
>>
>>2261152
Baldur's Gate isn't really an RPG, it just pretends to be. It's actually an RTS except each of your units has autistic detail in its stats.
>>
>>2268048
based post.
>>
>>2268048
Well, it's kinda linear...
>>
>>2265566
The bring method - mining
The broken method - stealing
The bitch method - luring bandits to guards and then looting the corpses
If you actually want to do the adventuring(like mercenary work or exploration/treasure hunting) from the very start then you got the wrong game.
>>
Don't forget you can always get enslaved by the Holy Nation for some free healthcare while you train those early skills
>>
>>2268583
I have wanted to purposefully do this but it always ends up with me quickly murdering the whole place or almost doing it and having no one to patch me up.
>>
>>2266945
>Instead, RPGs have become romancefests, story shit, owning houses and having therapy sessions through internal monologues.
umm sweetie, that's what a role playing video game is all about, don't like it? go play the tabletop version
>>
>>2262891
Yes.
>>
>>2261142
>go to a town
>mine outside of the town and sell the shit you get
>get stomped by bandits every so often on these trips
>eventually buy a house in the town and start doing research while continuing mining etc and increasing the amount of people in your party
>start gearing up and earning money to get enough to make an outpost
>once you have your outpost defend it and continuing increasing your research, you'll need to explore to get resources
>have a militia constantly lugging around really heavy shit and also a fucked up bandit to increase their strength
>craft strong gear
>become strong
>still lose to that one unarmed supernigga wandering the desert
Fuck that game is cool.
Also you need an absurd amount of strength to use heavy weapons, double the weight I think? So the absolutely massive mutou rank 2 handers are actually weaker to use than a lighter but still heavy weapon you're capable of swinging because it'll take you like 5 seconds to make a single attack.
>>
>>2261161
See, I just can't bother with the adventuring party play. I either wander the wastes as a solo ronin, or MAYBE have a dog with me. Every time I start adding more and more people, I find the fun starts dropping exponentially per person.
>>
>>2269177
You only really need people for settlement stuff, once you've got everyone automated it's simple enough to send your best man out on a solo journey
>>
>>2268048
Correct, RTWP is automatically not an RPG
>>
>>2261152
I roleplayed when I played it, so it is a roleplaying game.
>>
>>2261142
You're supposed to whatever the fuck you want, retard. That's the point of the game.
>>
>>2271099
>le you can do anything
You're pretty much forced to cheese mechanics to get anywhere. You can't do anything at level 1 besides mining, stealing or luring bandits to guards.
>>
Is there like a quickstart mod or something where you don't have to spend weeks getting beaten up or mining ore to get started?
>>
>>2261142
Remember to pirate.
>>
>>2261154
I personally don't get the point of doing that. You can, for example, power level toughness by letting your characters get partially eaten. Become a master ninja in a few days by letting yourself get enslaved. Power level both strength and toughness by using martial arts in heavy armor while wearing a backpack filled with rocks or late game components. Et cetera.
But why would you want to play the game like it's an RO-esque MMO or something? It's not like there's some endgame to reach or that you get no XP by playing normally instead of playing jobbing simulator.
>>
>>2272317
I'll never understand why devs think anyone cares. You have ONE job and it's developing video games. Shut up about everything else.
>>
i want to try this game /v/ said its just like starsector where you create your own fun. I greatly enjoyed star sector because of the ship customization and great combat will i enjoy this?
>>
>>2272060
You can't do anything at level 1 in life either. 1 in a stat basically means you're fucking retarded. There is a mod that has the vanilla starts but with boosted stats though (1 is like 30~ 1 is 60~ iirc) if its really that painful for you.
>>2272101
see above ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1802815181 )
>>
>>2272729
try the demo, i can't stand to actually play starsector (love the idea and everything around it but actual combat) but love kenshi.
>>
>>2272317
thats gay, other than that fat black selling loosies i dont think BLM was ever justified.

whoever made that tweet needs to dig deeper intro things.
>>
>>2272753
hows the combat anyway
>>
>>2272393
seems like you care
>>
>>2272729
there is a gog download of it that's easily obtainable. check the megathread in the roms subreddit.
>reddit
yeah i know. fucking do it.
>>
>>2272750
There is no 'level 1 at life' retard, stop shoehorning gameifying elements into reality like a Tumblrina with purple hair would.
>>
>>2274121
Lots of projection in this post for a very simple statement to give some sort of context for what 1 in a stat in kenshi means.
In a lot of games you start out better than your environment and npcs. Even a lvl 1 useless faggot like yourself could manage to do something. Was a simple way to point out that is not the case in kenshi as the game gives 0 fucks about you or your squad and most hires are retarded lumps like your starting person ( or persons)
>>
File: Beep.jpg (239 KB, 457x791)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
beep.
>>
>>2272364
What does 'playing normally' entail? What can you actually do well to start off with?
>>
>>2266645
If you aren't into empty stat grinding, move from town to town, find a buddy in a bar who will join you and buy a map from a travel store. Look for maps to things like lost libraries or laboratories, they have treasure inside. The game's grindy elements feel much less empty when you actually have a goal in mind.
Actually explore the world and allow the emergent narrative to form. Also, try out different starting scenarios and see what clicks.
>>
>>2276026
Simply accept that being a starving, limp-wristed beggar at first is the intended experience. Eke out a pathetic existence without dying for as long as you can. Never reload unless all your characters die, better yet, play ironman and just start over.
>>
>>2276041
Ah, but that sucks. Even in Mount & Blade or Starsector when you're starting out, you can be fairly competent with combat and won't just get demolished by everyone you see.
Rather, is the world full of more beggars? Or are you one of the few beggars in a sea of competents? Because that's part of my issue with these kinds of games, it's fine if you're starting out on the same level as everyone else, but if you're starting as some nobody when your character is physically at the age that they should at least know how to do stuff it feels cheap.
Anyway, I tried the demo and it runs like shit on my potato laptop so I'll have to wait until I can get a new PC.
>>
File: kenshi_cosplay.jpg (278 KB, 1092x1456)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>2276312
>is the world full of more beggars?
Technically yes, but all the other beggars are part of a massive beggar horde that will beat the shit out of you just in case you have food to steal. You could 1v1 them even at the start of the game, since they get penalties from the starvation, but it's gonna be a mob of like 20 guys in rags.
There's alternate starting scenarios that give you a bit more skills and resources, but on the whole it's not really intended to feel fair.
>>
>>2268782
>Remember the retarded cringe? This entire genre is about the retarded cringe!
Not that guy, but no, it isn't. RPGs where better before any of this stuff turned into a thing.
>>
>>2272317
>Today we took a break from social media to promote empty-headed wokeness on social media
I don't get it.
>>
>>2276312
There's mod's that give you different starts in different areas with better stats, with flavourful background. Thanks to these you can technically start with a character thats decent at combat. Apparently modding the game yourself to create more starts is fairly easy, but i personally haven't dabbled with it.
>>
>>2276386
Can you join the beggar horde? Or is it just hard-coded every beggar vs you? I really dislike games where you've got what are theoretically a bunch of unaffiliated mobs that nonetheless ignore each other to target you.
>>
>>2276619
>Can you join the beggar horde?
Yes, actually. You can help the beggars (heal them after beating them up, give them money when they actually bother to beg instead of attacking on sight) to slowly increase your disposition with that particular beggar faction, and once you reach a certain threshold, they consider you their ally. It's kind of a crude system, but it basically works.
Enemy factions also have varying degrees of hostility towards each other, and you sometimes come across huge NPC battles.
>>
>>2276619
kiting big mobs of assholes who hate you into bigger groups of assholes who hate the previous mob more is standard early game procedure

hovering around battlefields to pick up scraps like a vulture is the best way to get shit early game, i find
>>
>>2276716
How many characters should you have early on? I just feel like I'm wasting time with very little progress
>>
>>2276723
entirely up to you but i find a big (15-30) party takes all the difficulty out of the game
3-6 is a good number for just traveling and adventuring, maybe get more when you want to do base stuff
>>
eeyy I had fun bashing peoples skull in from the back with this game.
ez win desu
>>
>realize the menu was running at 1500 FPS

Oh fuck.
>>
>>2276806
kek I hate how so many games have no concept of shit like that.
>>
>>2261154
This one was tough for me to get into.
>>
>>2276816
It took me a bit before I actually limited it to 60, so hopefully I didn't fuck my GPU up
>>
>>2276826
I highly doubt it would unless your thermals were fucked or something but it just seems like such a basic thing to go "uh hey maybe our menus shouldn't run at anything higher than say 1 billion fps?"
>>
File: kenshi_getting_up.webm (2.66 MB, 546x540)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB WEBM
>>2276723
Two is the minimum I'd recommend, so one can bandage the other if he falls in a coma. Getting more obviously makes fights easier, but you'll have to pay to hire them and carry food for a larger group.
I think the sweet spot is around 6 guys, but it's really just personal preference. Some people like having a huge army.
>>
>>2276836
I like running with the 3x mod and squad limit increases so I can actually have a reason to have a small force. Makes it more enjoyable as well to actually use different weapon classes and make some people "tanks" etc.

My most recent playthrough I have a leader martial arts guy with a core group of katana using crossbows to start out combat (I never use bows outside of solo or walls so I figured why not) with some shek in heavy gear taunting to draw most of the heat.
Works surprisingly well and was more enjoyable than I thought at first blush.
My biggest issue is resisting building bases, hunkering down, and researching everything.
Every time I try to just make a wandering horde or something it ends up with me building something small just to train on bandits that show up and then suddenly I have a massive base going again.
>>
>>2276843
3x combat slot mod*

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.