[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: 29873453789.png (83 KB, 180x250)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
Play Disco Elysium. Gary the Cryptofascist needs to be bought to justice. You're the badass disco superstar cop that can do the job.
>>
>>2245599
Remind me what he has to be brought to justice for again?
>>
>>2245886
Feeding an old man's fake animal delusions for the grift
>>
File: Portrait_rene.png (471 KB, 369x512)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
the portraits in this game are fucking S O U L
>>
>>2245901
>fake animal delusions
omg why can't u chuds just acccept people for who they are
>>
I honestly never had anything against gary. He was just your average /v/ browsing nerd. Measurehead was at least honest and the lorri driver was basically a /pol/tard but better because he at least had a job.

But cuno. Fucking cuno i swear to god....
>>
>>2245901
>fake animal delusions
>he doesn't know
>>
>>2246012
THA FUCK DOES CUNO CARE?
CUNO IS KING
>>
>>2245953
rene is fucking based
>>
>>2246014
>>
>>2245953
> Fights for the monarchy
> Admits it was shit
> Knows the commies were still worse
> Survived the revolution and the Moralintern invasion
> Publicly wears his old uniform
> Gives zero shits
Man is literally untouchable. He had to give himself a heart attack to die.
>>
>>2248618
Single most based and most likeable character in the entire game imo.
Remind me of my Finnish great-grandpa who fought in the Russian Civil War and had very similar views and opinions.
>>
>>2246012
Cuno was the best character and he easily elevated the game. I don't know what his new voice is like, but his old one was perfect.
>>
>>2245599
I did, on release
6.5/10 game no cap
>>
>>2247096
>FUCK DA BOLICE :DDD
>But Harry, we're the police!
>YEAH FUG US :DDD GIBS THE BUSSY
>>
>>2245953
Rene and Titus were the two characters in the game I think I could respect the most.
>>
>>2249386
>I don't know what his new voice is like
It's inferior. It would be fine if it was on release, but we now know what Cuno is meant to sound like, and it's never going to be as good.

Stupid mothefuckers and their idea of full voice acting.
>>
>>2245901
>he doesn't know
>>
File: disco_elysium_thread.jpg (805 KB, 1837x925)
805 KB
805 KB JPG
>>
>>2249633
It's number two for me
>>
>>2247096
RENE LIVES
>>
>>2249633
love this pic
>>
Typical post-modern trash that depicts life as inherently ugly and meaningless, but hypocritically doesn't forget to constantly put women on a pedestal.
>>
File: charlie.jpg (28 KB, 512x384)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2250052
How is that your take away from the game? The ending where you [spoler]find the phasmid[/spoiler] is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen happen in a game and reaffirms that life, while a struggle, is worth it.

Really, what the fuck is up with the recent trend of right wingers turning into stupid ass Tumblr kids who want to have everything be as moralistic and simple as a children's book?
>>
File: art cop.png (1.1 MB, 1000x842)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>2250052
This is your brain on "Actual Art Degree."
>>
>>2250674
Nah it's someone triggering the -1 Morale from the Revacholian Nationhood thought.
>>
File: lol.gif (3.38 MB, 700x285)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB GIF
>>2250677
>-1 Hand/Eye Coordination: Hands shake from anger how shit it all is
>>
>>2250626
You're right about the "magic bug" and what the writer was trying to go for with that scene - but ironically it's about trying to humanize an insect. Bugmen? The imaginary conversation was also just too infantile, too patronizing. It was the highest point of an otherwise depressing and ugly world - that's not saying much - and it still felt dumbed down.

P.S. Gray areas are not as gray and are not as prevalent.
>>
>>2250052
Typical dumb right wing retard that doesn't even know what postmodern means
>>
>>2252500
Do you know what fascism means?
>>
>>2254219
Didn't mention fascism, but thanks for exposing your persecution complex in front of everyone. Congratulations on finding a way to embarrass yourself even further.
>>
>>2254293
That's nice. So do you know what fascism means? Can you define it in your own words? Same with postmodernism, please.
>>
>>2250052
It is unironically life affirming as fuck, even though the world the game is set in is explicitly said to be doomed.
>>
>>2249633
This is fucking gold. Though I feel that should be physical instrument instead of endurance
>>
>>2254577
Your actions ultimately have no bearing on the strike and hostile takeover of the rig, you turn a church into a nightclub, you catch an old, demented commie who, even then, of course can't kill solely for a higher ideal, but in part because he wanted to fuck a chick. The underlying tone of the story is clear - there is no inherent beauty or goodness left in man. Ah, except women, the game doesn't forget to put women on a pedestal throughout the entire game.
>>
>>2254297
>copes after realizing anon never mentioned fascism and he was the only one who brought it up
>actually equates being right wing to fascism
>damage controls through a thin veneer of self-assuredness
>>
>>2256162
>One man can't singlehandedly change everything thus the game says life is meaningless!
What a shit take. Throughout the game Harry's constantly helping people and learning to see life through a new lens. If you're relying on big ideologies to provide all the meaning in your life then you missed the point
> you turn a church into a nightclub
You don't have to and the church was completely abandoned
>ven then, of course can't kill solely for a higher ideal
People having personal vendettas means life is meaningless? Have you not been out into the real world?
>Ah, except women, the game doesn't forget to put women on a pedestal throughout the entire game.
Klassje is a lying bitch who engages in degenerate drug use and casual sex. She also drags everyone around her into trouble and evades any and all responsibility. Your own volition tells you not to trust her. Ruby is similar. Meanwhile there's plenty of good male characters, along with plenty of bad ones.

You went into the game clearly expecting a perspective and so that's all you saw
>>
>>2256232
Partisan politics faggots straight up can't handle a nuanced portrayal anything, if they could they wouldn't be politicsfags.
>>
>>2250052
>looks beautiful
>sounds beautiful
>layers upon layers of rich beautiful history
>depicts numerous moments of transcendent beauty achieved through and in-between suffering
>depicts the Event that forces the protagonist to realize how much of a miracle life, specifically human life, is

I don't really see the meaninglessness angle
>>
>>2256232
The most positive help you unequivocally provide is helping Anne get out of the cold and inside the bookstore - and even then, she has to do homework and the game explicitly comments, "You just can't win". That's the essence of the game and postmodernism in a nutshell - you just have to take whatever you can get, because life is inherently ugly and meaningless. This would maybe be novel or endearing in some other decade, but the market is oversaturated. If you really wanted depth or nuance, you'd also include and examine cases where sometimes, you can just get an absolute win with no downsides.

Then it stays as an abandoned church, which is bad. Or maybe, god forbid, turn it back into a church.

No, it means the writer believes everything always has to be motivated at least in part by some base desire, some chemical, mechanistic urge, rather than a higher ideal, purpose, or concept. Lord of the Rings and the idea of fellowship and fighting the good fight is probably alien to these people.

Everyone wants Klaasje, Klaasje outwits everyone around her, Klaasje gets what she wants. Ruby has been on the run for a week, holed up in some sewer, and when finally cornered by the one person she specifically dropped everything to run away from, you walk into her high-tech trap and she sounds like a smooth, calm operator. She's also the "real" leader of the Hardie Boys, the one running the local drug operations, and radiocomputer extraordinare. Ruby took the crown of putting women on a pedestal. Also I'm sorry, I should clarify what I mean by that - every male character in the game is wacky or has some hang-up, meanwhile almost every woman is a calm, rational voice of reason. Klaasje, the horse-faced woman, the dicemaker, Joyce, the black lawyer, the computer lady, the girl trying to record sounds, the sailor's widow, working class mother, not to mention the ex-fiance and Dolores Dei. Fathers are non-existent except the consultant on your team.
>>
>>2256172
Some blithering insult about typical right wing retards never deserved a response in the first place, especially when, ahem, no one ever mentioned right-wing. Just trying to get some entertainment out of you.
>>
>>2256306
Everything looks like shit and sounds like shit, it's constantly remarked that the area you play in is shit. The history is words upon words about stuff you will never see and are, in more cases than not, completely irrelevant. The only cases about transcendence are Dolores Dei, and it doesn't seem like she suffered much. The Event, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was a patronizing and infantile telling, not showing, of the miracle of life. I recommend Lord of the Rings if you want an example of inherent goodness and beauty in the world.
>>
>>2256394
>"You just can't win".
You just got a child out of the freezing cold and convinced her mother to let her go back to school for a proper education, but you're complaining that this is ugly and bad because the game jokes about her having homework. That IS a win. A child doing their homework isn't a bleak outcome.
>Or maybe, god forbid, turn it back into a church.
You turn into a nightclub because there are people willing to do most of the legwork to make it into such. The only way you could turn it into a church again is to find a priest, find the means to renovate it yourself, then find a religious enough populace to regularly attend.
>Then it stays as an abandoned church, which is bad.
The place is full of derelict and abandoned buildings though. It's the nature of the region itself, not an attack on the church.
> everything always has to be motivated at least in part by some base desire, some chemical, mechanistic urge, rather than a higher ideal, purpose, or concept.
No it doesn't, you're projecting that onto the writers. The villain being selfishly motivated doesn't mean there's no good left in men. By your logic if they had him motivated by ideology alone it would be stupid because it would imply everyone is only ever motivated by higher ideologies with no thoughts or ambitions of their own. You're forcing an extreme here. The concept of philosophies and ideologies being fueled by individual desires isn't exactly a new one.
>Everyone wants Klaasje, Klaasje outwits everyone around her,
And she's not depicted as being a good person in spite of this
>Klaasje gets what she wants.
Is that why she's depicted as being deeply unhappy and always on the run?
> she sounds like a smooth, calm operator.
That "smooth operator" literally kills herself the moment things get remotely tough.
>Klaasje
explicitly not rational
> not to mention the ex-fiance and Dolores Dei
The entire point of these is they're idealised figments of Harry's imagination
>>
>>2256456
"The most positive help you unequivocally provide"=/="you're complaining that this is ugly and bad". My point was that even the most good-natured help you provide to a child, the writer/game can't help but comment that "you just can't win". Why are the only people around who want to do something with the church stupid teenagers? No one else wants to do something else with the church? In a world of blatantly absurd things, it's too absurd that some people might just want to like, turn the abandoned church into a community center or something? You're getting into the weeds about restoring it as a church - that was just an example. And no, I don't have to provide some step-by-step alternative to what the writer could've or should've done; I'm not the writer and I'm not getting paid.

"Selfishly motivated"=/="base desire, some chemical, mechanistic urge". The old commie could've mentioned nothing about how he felt some fleshly desire for Klaasje and nothing would've changed, in fact, his character was diminished. He's an old hardcore commie who's still in the war, decrying the moralist army raining death on them and how he hates everyone who gave up on the communist revolution, how they just "went back to normal", but he pulls the trigger on a merc in part because he was getting it on with a chick he had the hots for. This is dehumanizing. People, especially this hardcore commie, are more than just animals. There is no projection. The writer explicitly adds how this 80yo hardcore commie who's been a revolutionary and vagabond for decades killed a guy he didn't like because he had incel rage.
>>
>>2256456
"Being put on a pedestal"=/="being a good person". To clarify more succinctly, it means way more competent and rational than the people (men) around them. It's also not about happiness. Ruby, despite her profile looking like a cracked-out whore and had been in hiding for a week, being cornered by the one person she had specifically dropped everything to run away from, sounds like she's completely in control. Her threatening and committing suicide is her being in control. This is spelled out for you by her. Klaasje is playing you even as she's framing Ruby and promising you she won't run away - and then runs away. Rational or not, this is some pretty fucking good acting.

"Putting women on a pedestal is the point!" doesn't absolve the writer/game of putting women on a pedestal. Where's the resolution?
>>
>>2256667
>can't help but comment that "you just can't win".
It's a joke, anon.
>Why are the only people around who want to do something with the church stupid teenagers? No one else wants to do something else with the church? In a world of blatantly absurd things, it's too absurd that some people might just want to like, turn the abandoned church into a community center or something?
Abandoned buildings in Martinaise seem to be a dime a dozen, and the people don't seem to concerned about them all things considered. I'm not sure why it's so bewildering that some teenagers thought "this building is particularly cool"
>And no, I don't have to provide some step-by-step alternative to what the writer could've or should've done; I'm not the writer and I'm not getting paid.
I never said you have to, I was providing my reason as to why it's not an option in the game as is.
>This is dehumanizing. People, especially this hardcore commie, are more than just animals.
Yes they are, you yourself just said it was only part of the reason. It's not dehumanising to say that people HAVE base desires in the first place and that they can be influenced by them, that's just a matter of fact. I thought it was a really weird thing to include, but by no means did I find it dehumanising or demoralising.
>>
>>2256687
Yes. And? The joke was made. That says something about the writer/game. This is a setting entirely in control of the writer. I'm asking why the writer made it so that the only people interested in an abandoned church were stupid teenagers.

"As is" is not a sufficient excuse for anything. That doesn't tie the writer's hands, when it's the writer who created the "as is" in the first place.

Listen, guy. Some people sometimes just don't have a grugbrain component to their actions at all, or at least not in a relevant amount. The writer *chose* to include the "incel rage" as part of this old hardcore commie's motivations, and an editor read it and said okay. And what did it add? What does it say? I believe it says that the writer believes no matter how dedicated one becomes, no matter how old or noble one becomes, they'll still be motivated, at least in part, by base, animal desires. You might say, "it was just this one time" - this old hardcore commie explicitly hates everyone, he even had someone else he was more than willing to kill (the royalist Rene), but he pulls the trigger in *this* case because of "incel rage". This is representative of what the writer believes truly animates people. I reject the notion and believe it to be an inaccurate depiction of humanity.
>>
>Some people sometimes just don't have a grugbrain component to their actions at all, or at least not in a relevant amount.
name one
>>
>>2256751
This sentence is false. If true, then it is false, but if false, then it is true. The resolution? Don't be a liar. Hold your promises.
>>
File: Untitled.png (746 KB, 644x1016)
746 KB
746 KB PNG
I had a really similar event happen in my life and this shit fucked me up real good.
>>
File: xboxhero.jpg (260 KB, 1920x1080)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>2245599
Why does such a beautiful game with great art design, music, and atmosphere needs to have such a shitty story, blatantly tryhard (and as a result pretentious) writing and a Donte tier protagonist? It boggles my mind how this game fails at almost everything an RPG is meant to be good to qualify as one but excels at other, auxiliary aspects
>>
>>2257691
It's an interactive novel. I also didn't find it to be beautiful or great, just average at best. If I wanted to look at a shitty dilapidated city, I'd just look outside my window.
>>
>>2256172
>actually equates being right wing to fascism
Yes, and?
>>
>>2257826
>It's an interactive novel
In a way, you can call Planescape Torment an interactive novel. Thou the writing is still miles apart
>If I wanted to look at a shitty dilapidated city, I'd just look outside my window.
A fellow slav?
>>
>>2258124
Lol nah, just an american living in a coastal city
>>
>>2256427
Lord of the Rings is trash and the fact that you brought it up in this air of confidence allows people to read your personality easily and how insufferable + wrong you are.
>>
>>2245901
HEH
>>
>>2259234
>hey mom look at me I am a contrarian
>>
> Every commie in the game is a seething loser and terrible person
> Every Fash in the game is a seething loser and pathetic person
> Every UltraLib is a meme character
> Meanwhile Moralists won the war, have all the power and control, and have all the cool lore surrounding them.
Yea Moralchads I think it’s safe to say we won.
>>
>>2260669
>not only are they GOOD, they are also POWERFUL
based fellow moralchad
>>
>>2246012
cuno is based
he will be a great cop
>>
>>2249633
saved
>>
>>2262572
Hand Eye Coordination [Easy: Failure] -- You manage to format your hard drive instead, on the bright side they'll never need to worry about "those" pictures ever being found now.
>>
>>2250626
>charlie.jpg
I need to play hellMOO again.
>>
>>2245599
So, is this "game" /pol/ wank fantasy or there is actually any good content in it?
Enlight me.
>>
File: wipeg_disco_elysium.jpg (66 KB, 540x445)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2265294
What do you consider "good content"?
>>
>>2250052
based. shills on full force today
>>
>>2268029
Did you really just bump a thread on page 9 where the last reply was over a day ago to cry about shills?
How retarded are you actually?
>>
>>2268093
/pol/tards are braindead idiots, what do you expect?
>>
>>2268093
i did it for no reason
>>
>>2260669
>>2260912
i too enjoy being a based pederast
>>
>>2248622
>>2248618
>>2245953
>>2249547
Rene is basically the communist veteran of the end game, except for the memory problem for you know why.
Both are old angry farts who cannot get over the fact their time and their ideologies time is over, if you love Renee and hate the communist or vice versa you are looking at them from an ideological bias.
>>
>>2272164
>you are looking at them from an ideological bias
yeah, and?
>>
>>2272167
you aren't allowed to have opinions about things
>>
>>2257691
>>2257826
>>2258177
as an eastern european it resonated with me a lot, the boomer raging about good old communism and how youth betrayed revolution felt too close.
also imho anyone who had his heartbroken could relate to the game in one way or other, funny my friend who married his high school gf and never had a breakup whatsoever completely ignored the parts about Dora. Didn't even mentioned it when we talked, for me that place stuck me most. I still cannot get over my ex after 12 years. so there's that
>>
>>2272167
>>2272169
It's just hypocrisy. But most ideologies force you to be one I guess.
>>
>>2272178
>It's just hypocrisy
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
>>
>>2272188
It's only a bad thing for the non hypocrites.
>>
>>2272178
>It's just hypocrisy
How so?
>>
>>2272194
Because you judge not based on character or action but whether you agree with him politically or not. If my guy does x thats okay but if another does x thats not okay
>>
>>2272191
sounds like they should mind their own business then tbqh
>>
>>2272199
>If my guy does x thats okay but if another does x thats not okay
This but unironically. Tribalism is ingrained in humans, always has been and always will be.
>>
>>2272199
>Because you judge not based on character or action but whether you agree with him politically or not.
That isn't hypocrisy. It's a value judgment.
>>
>>2272164
Except for also the part where, you know, René is just an old guy doing old guy things and the commie is a criminal, and a murderer at that.
But yeah, they're basically the same because they're both old farts belonging to dead ideologies. Totally the same.
>>
>>2272207
If you are going that route Tribalism shouldn't extend to people you don't know etc, and would be no more than 150-300 people.
There are no modern tribalists out there, a nation is not a tribe. It will never be a tribe.
>>
>>2272222
Rene is a murderer too depending on your ideology. You might argue he murdered decades ago but still

You can argue at least he doesn't go solo schizo gorilla warfaring
>>
>>2272225
sad cope
at least read the wikipedia page or something before posting, you're just embarrassing yourself
>>
>>2272230
There was a study done in military, in which they noticed the comradeship was gone after about 150-200ish people, which falls in line with tribalism.

Tribes are exactly that, tribe, a small group of people in few hundreds at most. Nationalism is artificial and unnatural just as "global kinship" or "I love all humans". If you are going to argue for tribalism then argue for tribalism, not for nationalism
>>
>>2272236
this
read evola you stupid conservacuck
>>
>>2272254
>read evola
HOLY KEK
>>
>>2272254
Sorry Chud I only read people who advertise their books on Fox News. They must be also related to owning the libs.
>>
>>2272254
>read evola
A schizo that shouldn't ever be taken seriously? No thanks, I'll stick to Guenon and Schuon, tyvm.
>>
>>2272273
yeah right
no perennial traditionalist advocated for nationalism, you fucking phony
>>
>>2272213
no, that is the literal definition of hypocrisy
>>
>>2256394
>Lord of the Rings and the idea of fellowship and fighting the good fight is probably alien to these people.
Robert Kurvitz's first rpg experience was a Finnish bootleg LOTR tabletop game.
Also your bending everything to fit your biased view.
>>
>>2272164
>>2272199

I don't recall Rene complaining about racists in the same breath he denounced race-traitors, or really doing anything worse than being grouchy at a ball game (he even forgives you if you just chuck his ball into the ocean for literally no reason). He has a history of heroism and bravery that people around him don't actually contradict. He also shows no intent to kill anybody for any reason, even if he fucking hates the royal he saved. His major failing is being a simp for a chick that played him and his buddy for fools to her deathbed.

On the other hand, the communist was a raving lunatic constantly contradicting himself, seething in his little incel bunker over people who literally didn't know who the fuck he was and inventing all kinds of crimes about them to justify his desires to shoot everyone for no reason beyond suspected ideology, stalking a random girl who, again, had no idea who he was and was like half his age, and shooting the dude fucking her not for being a fascist-aligned mercenary but because he was fucking her. His war stories are mostly him killing people for not being communist and then being a coward and running.

They are not the fucking same.
>>
>>2272295
Yeah, you haven't read any of them.
>>
This is the best game that I will never play again.
>>
>>2265294
Nah, it left wing game that tries to be unbiased. The Devs are leftists and hired multiple lefty online figures to do VA for the game. Communism is actually the only ideology presented remotely sympathetically in the game- not uncritically, but sympathetically. It's an unattained (and perhaps unattainable) ideal, but the ideals underpinning communism are never really called into question, just their implementation.
>>
>>2272164
I love both of them. The commie is also based. I respect old school communists even though I disagree with them.
>>
>>2245599
How good is Disco Elysium on switch? I wanted to play it there since I think it may be more comfy this way
>>
>>2275848
> The commie is also based
His dialogue was unironically peak soul



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.