[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fag.jpg (12 KB, 210x330)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Pillars of Eternity and its' consequences has been a disaster for crpgs.
>>
What consequences? To me it seems like it was fairly uninfluential as far as copying game mechanics, story design, or any of that jazz goes. Which makes sense, since it was essentially just Baldur's Gate Lite.

The best thing PoE did was showing to developers and publishers that yes, there is a demand for isometric crpgs, why the fuck did you stop making them for 10 years?
>>
>>2177568
>Baldur's Gate Lite.
In what ways is it Baldur's Gate Lite? I just played through Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time and it already seems pretty barebones compared to newer CRPGs. I haven't played Pillars so I can't compare it
>>
>>2177512
>its'
>>
>>2177728
It's got nothing to do with Baldur's Gate, actually. For one, it has content. And no Pillars companion approaches the levels of bad that is Minsc//Khalid/Imoen/every other retard.
>>
They made the cool idea of souls and past lives so bland and forgettable
>>
>>2177837
It is not a cool idea at all. It is blatant wokeism designed to make everyone forget race realism. We are much more than 'souls'.
>>
File: kot.gif (967 KB, 200x200)
967 KB
967 KB GIF
>>2177568
Both the Pathfinder video games were pretty heavily inspired by Pillars of Eternity, the Divinity: Original Sin games (and Baldur's Gate 3) take a few queues from them, and Disco Elysium has a few hints of it.
>>2177869
Race realism is a goofy concept to me since it seems to be a massive cope for white kids who are generally disappointing to their parents. "Yes, I may be an annoying dickhead and general fuck-up, BUT if you look at the Bell Curve, you can see that I am clearly a superior being."
>>
>>2177512
Has no consequences or influence, it basically just certified that RTwP has no reason to ever be revived again.
>>
>>2177869
meds
>>
>>2177512
PoE literally saved the entire genre.

Before PoE everything was getting more and more dumbed down and turned into action games. Now we've got PoE, Wasteland, Pathfinder, Original Sin, and a whole slew of indie games inspired by the success of those games.

You can bitch and moan that it's too "pozzed" because you had a black person in your party, or how it's not as good as your nostalgia-colored Baldur's Gate, but even then it's still better than having to make due with nothing but action games pretending to be RPGs like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
>>
>>2177512
what consequences? the only consequences i could imagine is that the industry would shy away from making more crpgs, however that's not the case with the popularity of other titles recently
>>
Is Deadfire good?
>Play first game
i cant stand RTWP and only the sequel has turn based mode iirc
>>
File: 1595937603261.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2177952
Every crpg made during and after the "crpg renaissance" has been garbage and all it achieved is to push american coastal progressive propaganda.
>>
>>2177891
>RTwP has no reason to ever be revived again.
>t. codexcel

Yeah, that's why turn based is shunned/is a modded in afterthought in everything except for Larian shit, and even then it's a shitty gimmick that feels like a 90s Eurojank version of XCom.
The patrician RTwP has fun playing the game, while the turncel spends 2 hours on a 40 second fight just so he can dunk on the other philistine losers online.
>>
>>2178255
>Is Deadfire good?
Yes despite what cRPGcels and /v/ say about it, it is one of the best of the new breed.
>>
>>2178287
Terrible post
>>
>>2178292
It really has a wet fart of an ending tho, just when it feels like its starting to gather steam it ends.
>>
>>2178322
I thought it was interesting resolution but knew that a lot of people were going to be butthurt they couldn’t beat Eothas
>>
>>2178328
You mean you knew it was shit but you say it's good on the internet because you want to be a contrarian
>>
>>2178328
I found the last act to be the -only- intresting part. !NotPolynesians were lame, just wanted to blow them off their islands. !NotSpaniards were about as lame as they were in the first game, the only ones that seemed to have their shit together were the Rautai.
>>
>>2177869
I wouldn't exactly go that far, but it certainly distances itself from the fun and joy of fantasy races and what they can bring to the table. Not that PoE was exactly exciting in that regard, but it seemed to do nothing with the handful of ethnic and cultural backgrounds it does provide.
>>
>>2178266
okay, but apart from politics that only the mentally ill care about, some of them were fun, and pillars wasn't one of those
>>
>>2178926
Only Wasteland 2 was fun. Divinity Original Sin was fun too but wasn't part of that whole wave of kickstarted cringe (Only used kickstarter to finish off the game).
>>
>>2178928
dos was really boring
>>
>>2178255
yes but the story sucks outside the dlc
>>
>>2178349
No I knew that crpgs are played predominately by beta males that need their power fantasy fix from their stories, or lose their shit.
and Pillars 2 letting you decide the fate of the deadfire but not entire world would cause people like you to seethe.
>>
>>2177890
>Race realism is a goofy concept
Off topic but you're living under a fucking rock. Race realism is just another word for realism. The only reason it is even an issue is that blank slate retards have way too much political power and have begun using disparate outcomes as evidence of discrimination and agitating for absolutely buttfucking retarded policy changes. You have a school that's half black half white and all the criminals and troublemakers are black, but suspending any of them for being violent in class is racism. Tests that show the white kids doing better must also be racist and have to be changed or abolished. That kind of shit is why race realism exists and if you aren't a parent you should fuck right off and stop talking about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>2180070
Race realism is when every white in D.C who can afford it put their kids in private education. Value signalling is when they vote Democrat.

Almost all parents are race realist where it concerns their own kids, just too short sighted and cowardly to remain race realist beyond that. Woe the white kids of parents who aren't race realist and live near blacks.
>>
>>2177568
>The best thing PoE did was showing to developers and publishers that yes, there is a demand for isometric crpgs
I think doing away with dump stats was a huge improvement over the usual dnd stats
>>
yeah uhhh pillars was bad because it didnt have any waifus
>>
>>2181007
shut up beavis
>>
Just bought PoE1 and I want to play as a control/caster type of character. Is cipher a good one for that or are they more of a rogue hybrid thing?
>>
File: Maia.jpg (394 KB, 1545x2160)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
>>2181007
That's why Deadfire is better.
>>
>>2181218
Yeah Cipher has Crowd Control and Charm options but you need to attack to build-up your focus which is your resource for spell casting.

Wizard is also good for this sorta. You have Ghostblades and Slicken, but the former requires your Wizard to get near, then you don't really get any good CC options until Level 8 when you get Confusion and Level 10 when you get Call to Slumber.

Priest focuses more on buffs and protection spells so there's not much there.

Druid is... IDK how you're exactly supposed to play Druid, feels like a worse Priest/Wizard if I'm honest and there's no good CC options.
>>
File: Visions.png (126 KB, 398x202)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
Im just 10h into the first PoE and I think I love it. It's my first CRPG and RPG in general outside of maybe 7hours of Skyrim. Why do you hate it? The writing is good, characters are excellent and have dialogue with actual character. So far it has felt like every character really has some narrative purpose in the world. My only other RPG comparison is Divinity Original Sin 2 and jesus it is difficult play the game because the dialogue is such summertheater and character motives are tumblrs first fanfiction. I really really like the writing in PoE, and I think I really need to play trough some CRPG classics just to experience more of the storytelling.
>>
>>2181233
i don't hate it
>>
>>2181232
Quick and easy druid guide
Step 1: cast relentless storm
Step 2: shapeshift
Step 3: win
>>
>>2180070
>Race realism is just another word for realism.

In terms of intelligence.
Asian > White > Black.
>>
>>2181573
Yes it seems that way. Asians are soulless though, there's more to genetics than IQ. Anyway, It doesn't come up as much because Asians aren't a massive social burden and Jewish commies are fixated on white westerners.
>>
Imagine being so triggered because not everybody complies with your fringe views
>>
File: pepe.jpg (92 KB, 1200x675)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2182166
>es it seems that way. Asians are soulless though, there's more to genetics than IQ.
>>
File: bass2.png (358 KB, 600x1079)
358 KB
358 KB PNG
>>2180199
>Race realism is when every white in D.C who can afford it put their kids in private education. Value signalling is when they vote Democrat.
>>
>>2177512
Pillars is a good game.
>Both the Pathfinder video games were pretty heavily inspired by Pillars of Eternity, the Divinity: Original Sin games (and Baldur's Gate 3) take a few queues from them, and Disco Elysium has a few hints of it.
Literally none of those games have anything in common with either of the Pillars games, apart from the all being isometric RPGs and featuring skill checks.
>>
>>2181233
Based, Deadfire even better. Frankly I'm bad at paying attention when there's so much reading comprehension but I liked creating custom characters in Pillars its the Baldur's Gate formula at its most refined
>>
>>2181232
A lot of Wizard debuffs can double as Crowd Control. Chill Fog is just that good.

Priests aren't great for CC I agree, but they are great nukers as well. Buffs + Nukes.

Druid is a better healer and a nice nuker. But my use of them is pretty limited. So I don't remember their strengths.
>>
Apparently the janitors genocides the Rean threads and considered their work permanently done.
>>
>>2180070
>Race realism is just another word for realism.
No it isn't
>You have a school that's half black half white and all the criminals and troublemakers are black, but suspending any of them for being violent in class is racism.
Name five times this has happened
>Tests that show the white kids doing better must also be racist and have to be changed or abolished.
Name five times this has happened
>and if you aren't a parent you should fuck right off and stop talking about things you know nothing about.
If you have children and come to this website you are more of a loser than onions dude.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (918 KB, 1920x1080)
918 KB
918 KB JPG
What did the Balance Man mean by this?
>>
>>2183222
I'm surprised at how playable path of the damned is as a new player. Sure, it's hard but it's not a cheese fest like Pathfinder's unfair.
>>
>>2183882
Can you fuck off to /pol/?
>>
>>2183222
The guy you are quoting, fucking wow... Imagine being this much of a fucking zoomer and honestly thinking that Pathfinder games were inspired by PoE or, especially, D:OS.
>>
>>2183861
I'm unaware of Druid's heal options actually. Maybe because I'm only using Hiravias and his Intelligence isn't as high as Durance but even with Ring of Overseeing it feels underwhelming.

Seems like he can only heal those immediately around him.
>>
File: 11821.jpg (916 KB, 1920x1200)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
>>2183882
Do your own homework or go ask /pol/, this is a videogame board.
>>
The scene in Deadfire when Eothas gets you out of Magran's Teeth was absolute kino and I'm tired of pretending it wasn't.
>>
Why does Durance have such shit accuracy. I realize you're supposed to be just using him for buffs but damn does his accuracy suck.
>>
>>2183999
He's the only character who's perception skill is so low that he has negative base accuracy. Luckily it doesn't really matter since as you point out he is intended to act as a support character.
>>
File: 1492196048414.png (254 KB, 343x427)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>2177890
>"Yes, I may be an annoying dickhead and general fuck-up, BUT if you look at the Bell Curve, you can see that I am clearly a superior being."

Really well put. I've never seen someone who's accomplishments speak for themselves talk about race realism.
>>
File: bpAghCD.jpg (53 KB, 494x250)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2180070
>>
>>2184198
Why wouldn't I be?
>>
>>2183222
>>2183888
>storybook skill check moments lifted straight from Pillars 1 and 2
>streamlined UI design of Pillars lifted straight
>keyword highlight in dialogue lifted from Pillars 2
>idea to make isometric rpg lifted straight from success of Pillars 1
owlcat shills really are the worst
>>
>>2177512
But nobody played it (at least going by completion statistics)
>>
>>2184766
>going by completion statistics
look at the completion statistics of every video game anon
>>
>>2177939
>it's too "pozzed"
It's waaay less pozzed than the Pathfinder games, ironically.
>>
>>2184763
I'll grant the storybook segments. None of the other things were really innovated by shitlars of eturdity
>>
>>2184877
The highlight system for lore in dialogue was invented at Obsidian dingus
>>
>>2184888
>implying that's a major or notable part of the gameplay system
>>
Is that Skyrim clone ever coming out?
>>
>>2184766
nobody plays games anymore.
>>
File: JumalasiOnHuore.png (622 KB, 1277x483)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>>2183855
Yeah I also have to read very slowly to get anything resembling a meaning out of the text, but for a non english speaking person I also find it fun to be challenged with difficult text. With divinity original sin I roll my eyes so hard it becomes painful :D. I considered KOTOR2 to be a great "childrens first RPG" (like it was to me) and I find it so odd that even that game with childlike humour has dialogue with proper purpose.

Durance is also a very interesting character because he teaches me what the purpose of gods are in RPG games. I have always been an atheist snob so I have never read into anything related to gods or religion, and with Durance being such a strongworded character who is angry at how people worship their gods I finally understood that the gods represent ways of thinking and focus in life. Like its fucking stupid that I start to wonder if a multi god system would be better in our society because of a fucking dialogue line in a fucking videogame. But in the end this game is written by people who are way smarter than me :D.
>>
>>2184923
>anymore
>>
Should I go to Caed Nua or Raedric's hold first?
>>
>>2185090
Caed nua is easier
>>
I never fully understood why the stats we set up the way they were in PoE. Getting a high INT as a barbarian didn't seem right nor did getting high might as a wizard.
>>
>>2185295
>>
>>2178266
underrated opinion
>>
>>2180070
>race realism
what is this 2016?
imagine giving a shit about politics after trump, politics is retarded, people are retarded, this is a video games board, shut the fuck up
>>
>>2185295
High/moderately high might as a wizard means you have a strong, domineering personality and the like whose fireballs burn that much more brightly. The intelligent barbarians focuses on outmaneuvering multiple enemies rather than just bonking them in the head.
>>
>>2185395
>might = personality
Wat. And what use would intelligence be for a barbarian when they are supposed to be about natural cunning, battle prowess and ferocity.
It was an upside-down stat system that wasn't intuitive.
>>
>>2185349
Tell that to the fag who brought it up in the first place.
>>
>>2184888
Patently false. Kys
>>
>>2185414
It is more like >might=power. But the original question wasn't mechanical. It was asked how it made sense for a Barbarian to have high intelligence. Or for a Wizard to have high might. Mechanically these are self explanatory. Character-wise they depend. The whole point of Pillars' system is that not all Barbarians are the same. A Barbarian who's highly intelligent is also a ferocious combatant, but their fighting style is different from their cousin who's really good at surviving snake venom.

A Wizard who's defined by his high intelligence has different particulars when using magic than a wizard who's defined by their high might. Their personalities are different. Their approaches to magic and life are different. And odds are their bodies are different as well. A giant Amaua Wizard is as scholarly as a tiny Orlan wizard. But the latter might be high DEX, casting multiple spells that are relatively weaker than the Amaua's.

I like 3E and 2E games. But being able to create a capable character without dumpstatting myself into being a literal shy retard with the willpower of a torn piece of rope is a novel experience.
>>
>>2185295
Balance man didn't want dump stats
too bad for him resolve exists precisely to be dumped
>>
>>2184913

Development hell it seems, given that lead devs were replaced mid production.
>>
File: EP8MqheWoAADhq2.jpg (232 KB, 707x1024)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>2185395
>High/moderately high might as a wizard means you have a strong, domineering personality
This only holds up until you get one of those dialogue checks which explicitly mentions you bashing through a wall with your mighty thews.
>>
>>2185507
Having a strong dominant personality and being a physically strong guy aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes they are even related.
>>
>>2185483
Effort post all you want, the system is still topsy-turvy and seems it was only implemented to subvert expectations.
>>
>>2183883
He means Hirvy throatfucked a giant cat
>>
>>2185518
>subvert expectations
You can still make your frail nerd stereotype wizard within the system
>>
>>2185524
Not if you want it to actually do anything. Just like if you make a barbarian with out INT you are gimping the charcter.
>>
>>2185518
Depends on the expectations.
Nobody feels subverted when the "magic" used in Dragonball requires a stronger body and it's improved with physical training.
>>
>>2185552
I see. You are bad at the game so blame the stats for your poor performance. Just switch to game journo mode.
>>
>>2185552
Actually a high int / medium might wizard is extremely good for damage. Wizards have damage over time spells that can be made to last longer and for extra ticks, debuffs that make their nukes hit and hit hard, and crowd control spells that single handedly win entire fights. Chill Fog is the Kingmaker Grease of Pillars.

My Wizard had a base might of 10 and was still a top tier nuker.
>>
>>2185090
Should be level 6-7 for Raedric.
>>
>>2185558
What does DragonBall have to do with wrpgs?
>>2185559
>you can't possibly dislike this system. If you dislike it your bad at gaming!
Yeah nah. I got 75% of the way through that snorefest with a druid on Ironman/nightmare and what ever thing turned off all the extra tool tips like showing the spells AoE effects. The game was a snoozefest that somehow made a plot about people having their souls sucked out of them boring.
>>
>>2185552
Gay and wrong.
>>
>>2185571
>Nah you can't make a good wizard if you don't max might.
>Yes you can. My Wizard had 10 might and was top tier nuker.
I mean, it's not a crime to not have a comprehensive knowledge of a game. But why insist in the error? Druids are great nukers too and they need might even less than the Wizards do.
>snoozefest
Now the problem isn't 'a topsy turvy' system you don't understand. It's the 'snoozefest story'. Subjectivity as a refuge from your own failings.

Congrats, you've moved the goalpost.
>>
>>2185571
In PoE having a strong soul directly correlates to being able to perform great feats.
Similarly, mind AND body play both a role in how magic works. There is no subversion, just a different worldbuilding compared to the more classic D&D based game.
>>
I liked both PoEs and have played both of them to completion multiple times, and even I would be the first to say that the game would have been cleaner if Obsidian had looked at, say, fucking Runequest and added something like a Power stat for spellcasting. If they'd wanted to go for the "no dump stats" spiel they could have said having a strong willpower means you're less easy to manipulate and dominate. Hell, it's near the top of my list of complaints about the games.
>>
>>2177512
>its'
"its" is the possessive form of "it"
"it's" is a contraction of "it is"
"its' " is nothing
>>
Which poe games are worth to play?
>>
>>2185641
Both of them.
>>
>>2185641
Both. Both games' DLCs have some of the best CRPG content out there, the base games are also acceptable at the very least.
>>
>>2185660
>>2185648
K, thanks.
Also, what's your opinion about Tyranny and Pathfinder?
>>
>>2185678
>Tyranny
Ok.
>Pathfinder
Only played Kingmaker, it was shit.
>>
>>2185610
In what way is stating that I disliked the game for its stats system AND telling you that I dropped the game for being boring moving a goal post? I didn't ask you to prove anything then moving the "post" to another subject. In fact you are the one who brought up the secondary "goal" to begin with. Fuckin brainlet. Stop coming at me with your /v/ level shitposting bait faggotry when I'm just simply stating I disliked the games stats system.
>>2185616
That makes more sense I guess. Might to me in my mind implies physical strength.
>>
>>2185690
>Might to me in my mind implies physical strength.
That's what comes to my mind too and I think it's supposed to.
Maybe they should've showcased how physical strength is needed for a more destructive magic instead of wasting time with the inclusion of the backer NPCs. Just a single mention early in the game from a NPC wizard on how gains are good for you or something similar would've solved a lot of this kind of misunderstandings.
>>
>>2185641
They are alright. Plus there aren't all that many cRPGs in this style anyway. They are pretty basic from mechanical standpoint though.
I finished PoE and its DLC once, but couldn't get through Deadfire after multiple tries. At some point that game becomes far too boring to play and the story isn't good enough to keep me going.
>>
>>2185690
>In what way is stating that I disliked the game for its stats system
>>2185524
>You can still make your frail nerd stereotype wizard within the system
>>2185552
>Not if you want it to actually do anything
The above statement is demonstrably false. You just don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2177939
>Before PoE everything was getting more and more dumbed down and turned into action games. Now we've got PoE, Wasteland, Pathfinder, Original Sin, and a whole slew of indie games inspired by the success of those games.

But anon. Wasteland 2 was kickstarted about half a year before PoE, and from what I remember Original Sin was also announced at about the same time as Wasteland 2.
>>
>>2185627
>"its' " is nothing
https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/apostrophes/apostrophes-with-words-ending-in-s/
Sometimes I'm wondering whether I'm truly an ETL and it is merely the world's populace that has mentally deteriorated this much on average.
>>
>>2185949
https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/pronouns/1-grammar-error/
retard
>>
File: Screenshot_7.jpg (557 KB, 1920x1080)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>TFW finally beat the Alpine Dragon at Level 13

Pretty tense battle, if it wasn't for Eder just dodge tanking then shooting up some Revival Scrolls this would have been over.

Had a pretty bad start when Aloth got tail wiped because a confused Alpine Dragon decided to turn his back towards him.
>>
>>2185972
I have quoted a very specific part, genius. "Its' purpose is to denote possession" is semantically meaningful. It is an ungodly butchery of the English language, but meaningful nevertheless.
>>
>>2185993
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/plain_language/articles/its/
https://www.dictionary.com/e/its-vs-its/
https://www.businesswritingblog.com/business_writing/2006/05/its_its_or_its_.html
its' has never been, is not, and will never be correct
>>
So I always see people here saying that this game has exposition dump after exposition dump and walls of texts but 30 hours in and the most I've seen, other than completely optional books, is 2 paragraphs with 4 lines of big lettered text in the dialogue box.
Remind me to never listen to le baseado 4channers again, you're all bitter brainless apes.
>>
>>2186479
No, I see people saying the dialog is excessively verbose. Characters habitually say more than needs to be said. That's not the same problem as having lots of exposition dumps and walls of text. I'm not saying the criticism is apt, but the fact that you can't seem to tell the difference disinclines me to trust your assessment.
>>
>>2185949
>>2185627
>>2185972
>>2185993
>>2186006
how about you dipshits go argue about it on twitter or something
>>
>>2182166
>muh IQ stats, muh genetics, muh realism
>Stats show that Asians and Jews are more intelligent than whites
>B-but intelligence and IQ aren't everything! W-what about soul and creativity and, uhh, dick size
It's almost as if the entire IQ thing is just a cope for white incel losers to feel better about themselves and their miserable, underwhelming lives
>>
>>2186479
The game does have a bit of a problem with verbosity, and I say this as a fan. But yeah, people who complain about "exposition dumps" are being needlessly overdramatic.
>>
>>2186563
I don't think people who espouse IQ by race don't deny that Asians and jews have higher IQs.
But whatever, keep believing what ya want to believe this is a thread about an rpg. whyd you have to try to reignite a retarded off topic discussion?
>>
>>2177512
playing ME1: Legendary makes me realize just how damaging wokeshit has been for the industry and how stagnant CRPG space is since the collapse of Bioware.

Bioware had such an immersive formula mastered into ARPG space with ME1 and then went backwards every iteration since. DA1 followed similar trajectory and it is because of wokeshit and them attempting to replace talent with woke hacks on the hiring side.
Then we watch this repeated with their remnants like PoE because they still have not learned. 2D debacles with walls of text critting everywhere, half baked formula and of course woke is always the priority.

A small streamlining of D&D stats is ALL they have to show for it. Pathfinder is more ambitious with mechanics and systems but it suffers the same problems in the end. Arrested development. I even like both games as far as they go but they just don't compare to the prior heights that were reached.
>>
>>2185641
The gameplay was dramatically improved in Deadfire, but both are good.
>>
>>2186671
PoE isn't even "woke" you schizo.
>>
>>2177512
What?
More CRPGs??
You are aware that CRPGs were dead in water and "we" the grownups had to fork a shitload of money on kickstarter to make that shit sail again..
If not for renesanse of 90' CRPG thru Kickstarter, you would praise Mass Effect Andromeda as best and deepest RPG evahh..

STFU,GO HOME, YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SHIT..

So, all your opinion is null/void and invalid...
Also, GTFO..
>>
>>2178266
Well, thanks to Croats, Poles, Estonians and Russians we do have somewhat decent and vibrant CRPG scene..

Whole California gaming industry meme is outdated and fucked up by woke.
>>
I know this might seem like a weird complaint, but is it just me or do people in Pillars of Eternity talk really slowly? I don't like skipping dialogue, but it feels like everyone is talking at half-speed, so I've read everything long before it's spoken.
>>
>>2187141
They don't, that's just a problem with voice acting in general for anyone that's literate. I read at three or four times the speed a person talks, which is why I can't stand Audiobooks. A book that takes me 2-3 hours to read has an audiobook that's 11 hours long (Sphere, by Michael Crichton in this example).

It's why I think full voice acting is pointless. Even if it does elevate the experience a bit, the cost and effort required just aren't justifiable. Voice the important parts, text elsewhere.
With that being said, the VO in both PoE games is in general very good. There's some weaker characters, but in general it's much better than your typical RPG.
>>
>>2186563
>having to cope with being born White.
Yes it is an agony I must endure daily.
>>
>>2177512
>The best thing PoE did was showing to developers and publishers that yes, there is a demand for isometric crpgs, why the fuck did you stop making them for 10 years?
True and these RPGs have never ever in their history never been more varied than they are today. They just share the isometric perspective. Reason why they stopped being made was simply because publishers saw there was MORE money to be made from a larger than what was the RPG crowd at the time. It's not like the genre or its core audience ever went anywhere.
>>
>>2186785
>thanks to Croats
What? I was under the impression they only made Serious Sam.
>>
File: totally about wizards.jpg (531 KB, 1270x1048)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
>>2177512
what do you mean you didn't like backer fan fiction?
>>
>>2186781
>every inch of habitable land is as multiethnic as 21st century muttistan
>not woke
kek
>>
>>2187176
underrail
>>
>>2187200
>this is what rightoids actually shit their pants over
>>
>>2187337
Serbia. I get why you'd confuse the two, though.
>>
>>2177728
I've never played Baldur's Gate. How does it compare to Planescape: Torment?
>>
>>2187384
Amerilards should not be in charge of creating fantasy worlds, they just end up with looking outside of their window in their californian office for inspiration.
>>
>>2177826
>For one, it has content
If you count reading an encyclopedia's worth of autistic, boring, poorly written loredumps as content yes
>And no Pillars companion approaches the levels of bad that is Minsc//Khalid/Imoen/every other retard
I last played bg like 10 years ago and can name most of the companions
I played poe in like 2017 and can't name a single companion
>>
>>2187458
>I played poe in like 2017 and can't name a single companion
I can! There's Eder, the gigachad who is the game's true protagonist, who like a pokemon rival finishes every quests before you, and takes your companions from you and fucks every female one because you suck.
Not sure about the other ones though.
>>
>>2177512
If not for PoE, crpgs likely wouldn't even be a thing today. It was the big first revival.
>>
>>2187485
Pretty sure PoE only influenced Sword Coast Legends, Pathfinder, and Black Geyser.
>>
>>2187200
That's because you are living within the remnants of a fallen world empire.
>>
>>2187384
At least they don't literally worship niggers. And yes I'm using the word literally correctly.
>>
>>2187447
>>2187532
>this is what rightoids actually shit their pants over
>>
File: charlie.jpg (28 KB, 512x384)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2180070
I've never been convinced by what I've read regarding it and the proponents of race realism are very annoying and obviously trying to tie their loser selves to actually successful people, hence why its popular on this website for fuck-ups into watching Japanese cartoons; you wouldn't be so desperate to pretend that your whiteness makes you the next Galileo if your life was going well.
>>
>>2187440

Baldur's Gate is more about exploration than roleplaying, at least the first one. If you expect a lot of roleplaying options in the first one, you'll be disappointed.
>>
>>2177512
>its'
>>
File: Screenshot_8.jpg (548 KB, 1920x1080)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
Almost finished with the White March, I can see why people are jerking off how good this is.
>>
>>2188144
Lazy
>>
>>2188463
Stop.
>>
>>2187200
So you didnt play the game or read any of the dialogue.
>>
Hey, what do youi think about Planescape Numenera?
>>
File: eVuJrKOI.png (233 KB, 400x400)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>>2177512
It mus be the expression but OPs remind me of Rhykker for some reason. I tried to get into pillars but Im too much of a smooth brain, side effects of being an ultra coomer I suppose.
>>
>>2181233
It's massively over hated for some reason. It's better than the vast majority of the classic CRPGs for doing away with dump stats and creating a combat system that fits the genre rather than ctrl-c ing a PnP system then shoving it in a video game.

The lore is interesting and engaging provided you have any kind of attention span.
>>
Is there anything more satisfying than having a full party of musketeers gunning down tree humpers and natives in this game? I just wish I could dual wield pistols.
Also, nice reloading animations too. More games should have muzzle loading guns.
>>
>>2189596
It’s schizo tribalism that has bled over from rpgcodex anons. Their senpai Chris Avellone hates Obsidian and they think he hates Josh Sawyer too the person that directed Pillars of Eternity.
>>
>>2189751
Didn't Chris work PoE?
>>
>>2177891
> Look ma, I posted on 4chan!

That's nice darling. Now go clean your room.
>>
>>2189751
>>2190007
That anon is almost right. Half of the codex hates Pillars and Sawyer because black npcs and balance, so they project their own seething to whoever they think is 'based'. Avellone had issues with Sawyer during development because Josh was project lead and he had to cut some of Avellone's content. And Chris has a tendency to get really invested in his projects. But it's nothing on the level of unbridled hate that they feel towards Sawyer. They also liked to pretend that Owlcat devs were secretly ultra right wing being held back by Paizo. There was even a brief time when some people considered fucking Larian to be secretly based and authentic. Nowadays they like to pretend that Baldur's Gate, a game that the Codex itself hated when it came out, is the true gaming experience free of leftism.
>>
File: Pallegina-portrait.jpg (87 KB, 631x1000)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2190026
So just the usual /pol/ retardation with a deranged nerd twist, got it.
>>
>Enemy caster casting Storm of Holy Fire
>Eder instagibs them with Charge

Why didn't anyone tell me it's Fighters who get the teleports behind you instakill move? Do Monks eventually get one? The only thing cool monks get is the 'Omae Wa Mou Shinderou' ability.
>>
>>2190026
Kingmaker has sold more copies than Deadfire, according to Sawyer himself, and it's been winning the active user count on Steam by a double score for years. Even if it's a joke, it's boring.
>>
>>2191595
>sad dweebs are projecting their poltard tier hatreds on game devs, pretending everyone is rivals because of politics
>'uhhhh akshually Dev 1 sold way more than Dev 2'
way to buck the stereotype
>>
>>2191660
If you just buy it, you can pretend it's not boring, but you can't keep playing it (Steamdb shows that Kingmaker was loved by active players).
>>
>>2190026
Pillars is a shit game because of it's lack of reactivity. It's a good game system, with well executed combat, but it's all ruined by Mass Effect 3 of a story. Nothing matters, you're roped into one and true story path. And to throw insult on top of it, they doubled down with it in Pillars 2, where nothing at all matters, plus gay fish. And dumbed down combat, because pillars 1 didn't sell enough to casuals? Obsidian is such a crazy trainwreck.
>>
https://steamdb.info/graph/?compare=560130,640820&release
>>
>>2191687
>plus gay fish
>>2191660
>>sad dweebs are projecting their poltard tier hatreds on game devs, pretending everyone is rivals because of politics
>>'uhhhh akshually Dev 1 sold way more than Dev 2'
we don't need more examples
>>
It is possible to say that something that has sold well is not always great, and something that has been loved for a long time is not always great, but it is impossible to say that something that has too much difference in the number of active users is actually boring and fool yourself into thinking you are playing something interesting.
>>
>>2189487
It's... alright. It's not on the level of its spiritual predecessor and it feels unfinished and rushed in more than one area, but if you like weird not-alien worlds and reading you should play through it at least once. The crysis system that they invented for the game is very interesting conceptually, I wish we would get a game that fully fleshed it out but alas it's never gonna happen.
>>
>>2178266
that is just what happens when the costal elites take over the intelligence agencies and use them to force their values on a whole population.
It is no more PoEs fault than it’s any of ours. No matter how they keep pretending anybody “voted” for these policies.
>>
>>2191822
>but it is impossible to say that something that has too much difference in the number of active users is actually boring
yeah it is actually boring. why would I give a single fuck about active users when I don’t have any respect for gamers.
>>
>>2192337
I said you don't have to respect me or anyone else who enjoys Kingmaker or finds Pillars or Deadfire boring and dull.
I also don't respect the many more active users of D:OS2.
I'm saying that you can't say that you LARP for political reasons when there are people who actually enjoy the game for a long time (the numbers show that there are more than twice as many people as in Deadfire for a long time).
>>
>>2192438
>you don’t have to respect the more active users but more active users play this game so you have to respect that
wtf is wrong with your brain
>>
>>2192444
Can't you see that even if it's not interesting to you, it is to a lot of people, and they're not LARPing for political reason?
I also have to say to people who enjoy D:OS2 and BG3 that it's boring to me, but I'm sure it's interesting to a lot of people who enjoy it?
>>
>>2192453
>people that play owlcat games are sincere in their enjoyment
>people that play pillars of eternity are only doing it for political reasons
why are owlcat defenders always strange. just play your games and stop caring if others don’t like them.
>>
File: 1553639541249.jpg (107 KB, 740x668)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2192337
>when I don’t have any respect for gamers.
Such is the sad fate of shills.

They are not gamers, but they are forced to interact with gamers, because their monthly paycheck demands them to.
>>
>>2180261
But they did it in the most hamfisted artificial way possible.
"Oh no, Might for mages is not strenght. It's like inner power. Except for dialogues when your muscle wizard threatens people with his lumberjack fists."
Instead of making all stats viable, they should find ways to give dumb stat builds SOME drawbacks.
>>
File: 1633981972882.png (295 KB, 583x562)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>2192488
>unironically identifies as a gamer
>>
>>2192462
>just play your games and stop caring
Said the shill who also said
>yeah it is actually boring
Seems like you care the most about shitting on others and their games.
>>
>>2192497
yeah you shouldn't sperg out whenever someone says they think your game is boring
>>
>>2192462
I'm not saying Obsidian fans enjoy Pillars for political reasons, although maybe there are a lot of people here and on rpgcodex who would say that.
I'm just arguing against the nonsense that "most people don't think Kingmaker is more interesting than Pillars, but claim it is for various reasons, including politics and the relationships of the game designers they worship."
>>
>>2192504
No one is sperging out, hypocrite, no one other than you who have sperged with far more posts than me.
>>
>>2192509
Not that anon but your sentence structure is worded like a sperg.
>>
>>2192514
Who cares if britcucks get upset over how their language is used.
>>
>>2192269
Ah yes, intelligence agencies that thing that never imposed values on any populations. Totally staffed by meth dealers from Oklahoma and not wasp elites from the coast. Get real. There is no salt of the earth spy.
>>
>>2192462
>both games have a fanbase around here
That's impossible they have gays in them.
>>
>>2192490
>"Oh no, Might for mages is not strenght. It's like inner power. Except for dialogues when your muscle wizard threatens people with his lumberjack fists."
But there's nothing wrong with this. You think scrawny nerds can become powerful sorcerers?
>>
>>2192767
That anon is wrong anyway. A high might does not need to reflect your actual physical body because it's also your soul power. You can look small but still do amazing feats of physcial strength because of that.
>>
File: jon.png (1.29 MB, 753x1069)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
>>2192490
>noooooooo not heckin muscles wizards
>>
>>2177568
The same reason point and click adventure games and survival horror games stopped being made. They were generally viewed as dated until smaller studios decided to bring them back for nostalgia bux
>>
>>2192855
Dat bulge.
>>
>>2192855
This is what I don't like about attribute systems in D&D or Pathfinder. Interesting character like Jon Irenicus as he appears in BG2 make little sense for the wizard class without having a terrible stat spread with a high STR score.
>>
>>2192924
Villains don't adhere to point limits of the players.
They are decided by GM.

The GM can freely design Irenicus to 18 STR just to fuck with you in case you try to wrestle with him.
>>
>>2192490
Why didn't they make
>pick up big rock
checks, athletics only?
>>
>>2193350
I think it's because athletics checks were for feats of endurance, like swimming underwater for a long period of time. Plus the might checks tend to be fairly low in Pillars. At the beginning of Deadfire you have a Might 14 check to help lift a broken cart. Passing it doesn't mean you're a bodybuilder, it just means you're a generally big person. Another check is, I think, also 14 might to threaten some elves and dwarves in Gilded Vale. Again, it wouldn't take much for someone to threaten a bunch of starving, undernourshied peasants. Like a 6 footer average guy fucking up a manlet.
>>
>>2192924
Irenicus just re-rolled a lot. All my Wizards had 18 Strength for carry capacity.
>>
On the one hand I think D&D's stat spread kind of sucks, at least when translated into a videogame. (It was OK enough for the purposes of original D&D). But I haven't spent enough time with PoE to see if it's really an improvement. It strikes me that using something like "might" to influence both melee damage and magic damage is a misguided over-simplification.
>>
>>2193418
It's the opposite of a simplification, though? Every D&D wizard wants to max INT. Every D&D fighter wants to maximize STR. There are PoE Wizards that maximize INT, STR, PER, DEX. It all depends on what spells you're planning to use.
>>
>>2193430
This. Having a cookiecutter D&D-like stat spread is the biggest simplification possible that you could make to a stat based system.
>Oh wow, your wizard has a +1 wisdom over my wizard! I wonder how differently it will play compared to mine with a +1 to dexterity instead!
Said no one ever.
>>
>>2193593
It could play differently in a game not centered around combat. Which is almost non-existent with video games.
>>
>>2193430
>Every D&D wizard wants to max INT. Every D&D fighter wants to maximize STR.
only because nobody runs D&D correctly and every D&D video game is about savescumming until you burst damage the enemies faster than they can burst damage your party
>>
>>2193610
Not really? It doesn't matter how you structure your campaigns, no one is making a low strength Fighter or a low intelligence Wizard under the D&D rules. You could have only 5 battles in the whole game and ten million dialogue stat checks. You're still limiting the Wizard's utility based spellcasting that way. Besides, being combat centered is the whole point of both D&D and Pillars.
>>
File: RQ AH char sheet.jpg (440 KB, 975x1452)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>2193593
Therefore you should use the superior Runequest stats.
>>
>>2193614
Yeah I do not give a shit. I play crpgs. I don't play Anon's Schizo Dream Island.
>>
>>2193610
>make a game not centered around combat in a D&D derived system
>martial classes have zero (0) features
Good job.
>>
>>2193626
yeah I know. crpgs are fantasy slop for retards
>>
>>2193626
Get into wargaming. You'll be happier.
>>
File: 86795647.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
How do you feel about POE 2 mega bosses?

In theory i like the concept of harder bosses, but these require specific setup or els you simply lose if you don't have a way to regain resources.

Proper 'hard' boss for me was the dragon from Beast of Winter dlc when i fought it 1st time.
>>
>>2193833
>Fassina
>Ydwin
>Xoti
>Aloth
>Playing a tank to protect them
Based waifu collector
>>
>>2193833
They're cool challenges, but I didn't really felt much enjoyment in figuring out how to beat them. Probably because of the very tackled-on vibe that they give for the fact that they just exist for no other reason than providing a challenge without any deeper context.
>>
>>2193833
Why was the first game's aliasing so bad? The 2nd one has much smoother aliasing so the models actually look like they're on the map.
>>
>>2193884
Probably it's only a matter of devs getting used to the engine, on top of bigger budget obviously
>>
>>2189737
You can dual wiel pistols and blunderbuss in PoE 2.
Single class monk dual wielding mortars (special blunderbuss that does AoE damage) is insane.
>>
>>2177512
Baldur's Gate and its consequences have been a disaster for rpgs.
>>
>>2183883
It's a Vivic reference.
>>
>>2193593
OK, but that just means it's an improvement over absolute garbage.
>>2193430
>There are PoE Wizards that maximize INT, STR, PER, DEX
This is not a good thing by itself. Having something like might be for damage is just way too on the nose. It's only cool if those stat options actually inspire any kind of creativity beyond abstract min-maxing.

For a simple example, it would be interesting to have a game where a high-strength, low-int wizard might be a battlemage sort of character who uses spells that don't scale from INT to enhance a melee-oriented fighting style. If a spell actually scales from strength, it should be for an obvious reason. A hadoken-like ranged punch attack, for example, or a shock wave from swinging a sword. These types of attacks might also come with other specific restrictions and downsides (like, obviously, the requirement that you be able to wield a sword might require investment in a sword proficiency and that you wield a viable weapon to use the spell).

The result is that you have a character that has lots of sensible positive side-effects from having high strength, making that character more like a non-cloth archetype, but also downsides from having low int. The fun comes from both the min/maxing and the roleplay element where you're a creating a battlemage type of character.

Just making a rule that direct damage always scales from strength doesn't have these interesting effects.
>>
>>2183222
>Pillars is a good game.
Wrong!
>>
File: 1586382251436.png (177 KB, 258x438)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
>>2186781
>PoE isn't even "woke"
>Lesbians everywhere
>Every leader, including bandit bosses, is a grr so tough woman
>One of the sidequests is a socialist wizard who's mad because a feudal nobleman fucked his niece to produce an heir
Try again next time
>>
>>2181233
>first CRPG and RPG in general
anon....
>>
>>2194832
>Lesbians everywhere
I'm almost at the end of Act II (Delaying a bit because finishing DLC content) and I think I encountered this like... once with Mahena. Unless I guess you're one of those masochist autists who tries to talk to the backer NPCs. I assume there's a lot of self-important backstories there for people with massive egos.

>Every leader, including bandit bosses, is a grr so tough woman
Torn Bannermen's leader is a guy, the Watcher you encounter in the White March is a guy, the three factions in Defiance Bay is headed by guys, the prick trying to steal your keep is a guy, that major questline in Gilded Vale where you kill a king (who is a guy) is given to you by a the gang leader who is a guy. The guild you end up slaughtering for foolishly taking the Dozen's loyalty quest is mostly dudes

>One of the sidequests is a socialist wizard who's mad because a feudal nobleman fucked his niece to produce an heir
>>Being pro-incest rape babies
>>
File: file.png (221 KB, 258x438)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>2196136
See? This game is just misandrist bullshit making you kill men
>>
>>2196136
The person you are replying to is trolling and not interested in actually arguing anything with you.
>>
recommand mee a good crpg
played pathfinder and had fun
>>
>>2196200
Pillars of Eternity.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.jpg (604 KB, 1920x1080)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
Surprisingly not as hard as I thought it would have been. Eder and my PC kinda just teleported to Concelhaut and killed him at the immediate start of the fight.

I did use a cheesy strategy that had me using all my summons at the start of the fight so I could get to Concelhaut uncontested.

Kinda psyched about the Sky Dragon now. The last genuinely hard fights I had where those bounties from White March (Magran's Faithful and the Deadfire guy)
>>
>>2196136
don't care, didn't read. this game is leftist.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.