[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fallout new vegas.jpg (152 KB, 1050x127)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Did you ever read a game guide for an RPG in which the bias of the author clearly came through in the text and revealed that they weren't objective in their evaluation?
>>
not really, gameFUCKS are pretty tame for the most part
>>
>>2089256
King of England here
Stopped reading game "reviews" ages ago. You can't trust anything you read on the internet anymore
>>
>>2089256
Yakuza guide on gamefaqs had was super informative but there's at least one paragraph of how dumb and weird you'd have to be to want to play the dating whatever with the hostesses
Honestly I agree
>>
>>2091420
OP said guides, retard.
>>
>>2091420
Based Queen of Frances doesn't have time to read your post you idiot. >>2092549
>>
>>2092552
Yes because he's too busy dilating 8 hours per day
>>
>>2089260
This, the old FAQ writers of yore whose guides are still referred to even to this day tended to keep their shit objective and clean. There were weirdos who wrote some strange shit, and I vividly recall this one DanceManiax/DanceFreaks guide where some dude kept spouting off horrible worse-than-dad jokes throughout the FAQ, but you have to expect some of that shit in late 90s early 2000s internet stuff.
>>
>>2089256
I can't recall reading a walkthrough-style guide that did not have bias. Straight mechanics faqs though are usually ok.
>>
>>2089256
I love the one about the guy who authored a Persona 2 walkthrough only to denounce it later on because he become a Christian.
>>
>>2089256
General wisdom is that you use level 2 for Intense Training and Level 4 for Educated. I never use any of the perks in your pic myself.
>>
>>2093189
Wait, what?
>>
Not their guides per se, but I remember running into a very prolific FAQ author on some of the PSP game forums, and the dude was a complete schizo who thought the game developers were out to get him by making their games too hard.
From what I gathered from his posts, he had been using cheats for years to blitz through games and get FAQs out before anyone else, but now that consoles were online and could block/track cheating, he had stopped using cheats, but now had zero gaming skills or the maturity to cope with setbacks.
>>
File: EX2zVYRXgAcQlJ4.png (50 KB, 1204x694)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>2094845
>>
>>2096350
I mean, they're right in thinking persona is bad but for the wrong reasons
>>
>>2096350

Fucking hylics and their kike-on-a-stick worship.
>>
File: eoblindsides.png (33 KB, 926x653)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>2089256
The most popular/accessible skill guides for later Etrian Odyssey games are full of misinformation, bad assumptions, overlooked interactions and just plain bias. People still use them because it's the easiest source of hard numbers for damage modifiers and whatnot.
This isn't the worst of it, just an example I found pretty quickly
>grudgingly admits Risk Perception might be useful even though 99% of party wipes while exploring happen to blindsides
>doesn't mention that you get a grimoire of +5 Risk Perception for free early in the game, so heavy investment isn't necessary for a reasonably high activation rate
>doesn't mention that it works on scripted blindsides from events
Then a few lines later he shits on Sneak Attack for being a field skill and telling people they're bad for wanting preemptive strikes even though
>it's cheap
>blindside chance is tied to preemptive strike chance, so more preemptive strikes = less blindsides
>there are formations in the lategame where having an extra round of combat before the enemies move saves a lot of pain, which is great for your mana management
>all this for one point in a skill that you probably already have the prerequisites for if you want to Not Fucking Die
Most of the fanbase would agree with him about field skills, but it's hardly an objective opinion.
>>
>>2089256
the guide for ff9 was clearly biased against actually giving you any tip without asking you to go pay for a monthly service
>>
>>2097343
What? What service?
>>
>>2097343
>>2097367
Square's PlayOnline bullshit, right? Basically a subscription service to get walkthroughs and tips, which obviously falls apart the instant someone posts it on the internet for free.
>>
File: prima guides.jpg (596 KB, 2437x3284)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
>>2097367

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.