[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: schooljam.png (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
School game jam is currently on until the 4th of October. Ask in thread or follow the link.
https://itch.io/jam/rpgm-school-jam
Friendly thread for anyone deving an rpg or thinking about. Post progress!
It's meant to be a gelatinous cube that eats schoolchildren
>>
>>2078624
MV, and the plugin is MV3D. I'm assuming the way the wall tiles are blended doesnt change when the 3d mode is active, as it blends the same when disabled.
>>
>tfw tried to make a 3d game with MV3D but gave up because I got bored lol
>>
>>2078675
First, Nightmind announces the bowl, now this. Sigh, guess I'm doing this one first.
>>
>>2078675
Working on my roguelite-lite is making me consider so many things I never really thought about while playing the genre. How many rooms per floor? How many types of room so the player doesn't see everything in one run? How many rooms of each type per floor? Should I leave everything up to the player's luck, or should I use trackers to make sure they get a decent spread of enemy rooms, bonus rooms, healing rooms, etc? That kind of thing. I feel more appreciation to the genre now that I'm being confronted by all of this.
>>
>>2079095
What's this bowl?
>>
>>2079114
Short horror film festival "Candy Bowl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KI2MxKgJv4
>>
>>2079108
Sorry, not OP but still interested in giving some answers.

>How many rooms per floor?
Chaotic realm or grounded setting? Any number you're comfortable with in former and country-education-standard-dependent with latter. use Medieval monastery studies number for reference if fantasy and small in number but large in size in futuristic setting.

>How many types of room so the player doesn't see everything in one run? How many rooms of each type per floor?
Seeing content again is not that big of a problem for small releases, so don't bother. Use preset generation with fixed color related to a separate floor/school section. If by type you mean events, depends on length, but for a short game the formula would look like
- For enemies:
ETN=FN * 3 where ETN is enemy type number (How many unique enemies) , FN is floor number. Each unique enemy should also has a spawn chance decreased from starting floor to next floor and so on.
- For special events:
Flat number of uniques for each separate floor, especially if these used to progress the story. 2 basic 1 unlockable is sufficient.
- For special rooms:
Health restoration between floors, item acquirement can be either at fixed intervals (3 defeated enemies) or ignored in favor of awards given by defeated enemies.

> Should I leave everything up to the player's luck, or should I use trackers to make sure they get a decent spread of enemy rooms, bonus rooms, healing rooms, etc?
Making things formulaic is the key. The better the player gets the general picture of the playthough the less likely the frustration. Tracking is a must, though. While you can make special rooms appear at certain intervals, you must make rerolls for both special events and enemies if the content appeared previously.
>>
>>2079293
I didn't expect any response so thank you very much for your thorough answer. You've given me a lot to chew on and I think it'll be very useful going forward.
>>
Might join the jam. Tempted to do my own tileset, sprites, and character portraits but I'm not sure how time consuming that'd be.
>>
>>2079697
Very.
Make the game first using cheap placeholder graphics. Replace essentials like main cast and enemy sprites second. This is where you'll probably run out of time. If not, polish the interface. If you somehow STILL have time, and not SOME time but A LOT of time, start replacing most copypasted tileset elements with minor variations like cracked, rotten, polished and so on.
>>
File: 1509473630209.jpg (43 KB, 828x720)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2079697
>tfw trying to make autotiles
>>
Fairly new to RPG maker and am using Core engine from Yanfly, is there anything that works together with this so custom screen resolutions + fullscreen can be done? I've tried some solutions like plugins from SRD to put in a toggle for full screen, changing the resolution to 1104x624, adding stuff to the index file to get rid of blur but it comes out too pixel heavy and there are heavy black borders there also. Any ideas?
>>
File: paintings.png (28 KB, 512x346)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
I'm no legal expert, but I'm wondering if I put these paintings in my game as nice little obscure homages to Lufia 2, would I get in trouble if I released the game commercially?
>>
>>2080028
Here's what it looks like in-game. Like you'd only know what it is if you went looking for it, I'd say.
>>
>>2080028
>>2080033
I'm going to tattle!
>>
>>2080028
>>2080033
If you never mentioned it, 99% of players wouldn't have made the connection, especially if you made a few more paintings that weren't based on something else so they blend in. They're very nice, btw, but I don't think you'll be in trouble because the left one doesn't have circles, exactly, and the right one doesn't even have the full color range of the sand. Also, if a company tried to DMCA or sue you over this, they would get fucked HARD by PR and waste tons of money and time. Over what, fucking Lufia 2? I don't think so.
>>
I used to make an rpg on rpgmaker 2k3
I miss doing it
>>
>>2080065
2k3 goes on sale for $2 all the time, there's nothing stopping you
>>
File: 1626431514052.png (208 KB, 1736x582)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>2080065
like >>2080081
said, it's usually pretty cheap and the latest EN release is DRM free if you REALLY have to go on a high seas voyage.
>>
File: testing-1.png (126 KB, 820x652)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
Eventing UI is AIDS but getting somewhere at least. How easy would it be to move all this to Java if I got the time to learn JavaScript or find someone to help?
>>
>>2080579
Eventing custom menus is aids in MV
It's a joy in 2k/3 due to a lot of the most useful commands not requiring as much bullshit to do (namely, call map event/key input processing). Though if you're doing it all out of common events, at least it takes that problem out of it. Although I'd personally prefer the whole
>warp to your "menu map"
>run all menu processes in that map, self-contained to 95% map events
thing since it's cleaner/easier to move around and change/doesn't clog up the common event list.
Can't remark on the Javascript question but it is inevitable that some code god will show up and say "ezpz"
>>
Has anyone had any luck with Godot?
>>
>>2080028
Minecraft has had paintings that rip sprites directly from certain games and its never been sued for it
>>
>>2080047
>>2080028
>>2080033
seconding this, its an extremely esoteric reference that might only be clarified with additional paintings. what a shocking, random, and pleasant surprise it'd be for the few who would get it though
>>
I managed to get the game to generate random types of rooms within certain parameters (eg only give 3 treasure rooms on this floor, make sure an inn spawns after x amount of rooms but only if you've fought x amount of battles, and on and on) and it took a lot of testing and tears but I've finally got it working consistently. Now to actually design all these goddamn rooms, enemy types, and treasures. Foolish of me to think I'd have time to create a postgame at the rate I'm going but also, I'm still gonna be optimistic about that.
>>
>>2080630
Yeah it's not TOO BAD but I remember when fucking around 2k3 it wasn't this aids. Should hopefully get it working soon though and can start working on the actual game part (which is gonna be mostly dialogue so shouldn't be too hard to do)
>>
>>2080579
>move all this to Java if I got the time to learn JavaScript
every time
Java and JS are completely different and have almost nothing in common
>>
>>2080907
okay fag
>>
>>2080665
I'm making an RPG in Godot and it's going super well
>>
>made an event page so long that RPGM2k actually started chugging badly
I should probably find a better way to organize this
>>
>>2080933
How long? I've made pretty long event pages before. If its a cutscene, make multiple pages activated by a variable. If its something else, make different pages for the conditional branches that act as switch cases.
>>
>>2080933
You have to make a REALLY damn long event page to make this happen.
Like, several thousands of lines long.
>>
>>2080941
>>2080975
Forgot to specify that it was a battle event, but separating it into pages seems to have worked out much better.
I think it was at least 200 lines long when I just crammed it into one page. Really wish that you could resize the window for making battle events, but it's not a big deal.
>>
>>2080665
Also making an RPG in Godot

God damn why did I want to make an RPG? RPGS ARE HUGE
>>
>>2081006
Feel like this the common experience. Even working on mine without a real battle system, the whole stats and branching paths makes me think 'why the fuck didn't I make a shitty platformer'
>>
File: map_annotated.png (207 KB, 3200x2400)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
Here is my map, full complete and annotated. Don't use it when you play my game, if you want the full experience of exploration of course.
>>2080975
>>2080985
I foolishly made all maps 20x15 and it makes teleporting a nightmare. Every tile on the edges has to correspond twice to another map. It's because I wanted the game to feel like Dragon Warrior Monsters.
>>
>>2080028
>>2080033
Soul
>>
>>2080579
Making custom menus is relatively easy in js. Look up theUnproPro tutorials.
>>
File: test.png (58 KB, 969x126)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>2078675
I haven't messed with the rpg maker battle system much, is this illegal? Using MV
>>
>>2078892
Any answers?
>>
>>2081502
You can put even conditionals in the formula.
>>
File: Greengrocer Scale.png (289 KB, 1480x1516)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
What scale do anons use for their buildings? I'm currently going with 1:3 outside:inside. Seems to be a nice fit without looking goofy.
>>
>>2081592
That tall door might fuck with the player a little.
>>
File: file.png (94 KB, 1855x627)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
Drew concept art for my enemies on the first area, tho i am planning on turnin them into stickmen so that i can animate them easily.
and yes they take make sure the tentacle monster takes the daily dose of beatings
>>
>>2081269
What are the vids your recommend? The only one I could find that mentioned windows was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG56obqm6LY

Though I'm wondering if I can pull text and values from in-engine variables easily? I wouldn't wanna have to move my entire engine to JS just to make the UI.
>>
>>2081592
1:1 of course!
>>
story is very important, but what about the gameplay?
>>
>>2081592
I'm partial to 1:2 or 1:1

Any larger seems a bit too wonky.
>>
>>2081887
Apologies for being so vage. Here
https://youtu.be/Tas-WET3Uto
In this tutorial he goes on how to call windows and stuff (in the map scene).
>>
How long the game for the game jam should be?
>>
>>2080985
>Forgot to specify that it was a battle event, but separating it into pages seems to have worked out much better.
>I think it was at least 200 lines long when I just crammed it into one page. Really wish that you could resize the window for making battle events, but it's not a big deal.
Why not just make a custom battle system?
>>
>>2081948
That's up to you to decide.
>>
So I need some help with advance math shit for a minor feature that I may just end up axing.

Basically, there's skill checks in game that work on a 3d6+Skill vs a Target Number that varies. The Skill can be modified on a check by check basis by conditional modifiers (+2, -1, etc). This whole system is already set up in-game.

Here's the issue though: I want to have a way to show the percentage chance of you making a check. But looking up ways to actually calculate dice percentages is a fucking nightmare. Anyone got an idea how to do this? The only other way I was thinking was manually adding in all the percentage chances from Anydice, which sounds like a lagfest waiting to happen.
>>
>>2082387
... and why do you think the standart ((3d6+Skill+SkillConditionalModifier)/TargetNumber)*100 wouldn't work here?
>>
>>2082446
This is a percentage chance for before the roll is made so that won't work exactly.
>>
>>2082505
Then pregenerate 3d6 as random number between 3 and 18, store it in a separate global variable and implement the result into the formula. The value will remain the same untill the action is completed so you will always be able to revoke the percentage if the player leaves the screen where the percentage is displayed to do either other action or look at status window.

Alternatively, pull the Advance Wars trick and use the formula with 10.5 or 11 instead or 3d6 generation and call it a day.

Or did I misunderstand things and you want a table displayed with percentages for each roll?
>>
Ok, I'm creating a rouguelite srpg on unreal whit blueprints and create the random battle set. Basicly the enemies have a index number and a "weight", and every room have a number that is spend to spawn monsters based on wight variable.
Works well whit a small number of enemies in the index, but i have no idea how make it progress well to late game. How do i make the chance to tarsh mobs decrease whit progress and don't happen in a room whit large number get 1000000of the same weak enemy?
>>
>>2066685

Where is this anon? I spend my time to answer and he never came back ;__;
>>
>>2082642
Introducing weight generation borders before enemy placement procedure comes to mind.
First, introduce a new column to the index marked "approved" that store either 0 for no or 1 for yes.

Next, decide what weight borders you are comfortable with that particular room using either a separate pair of variable input individually (1000 to 10, for example) or a quadratic equation (I'll reference to it as QE) using an extra global variable that stores a number of rooms beaten as a median with upper and lower border determined by a separate formula using the same ROOMS CLEARED (RC) variable (something like UpperLimit=QE + RC*10 and LowerLimit=QE-RC*2 where lower limit ca't be lower than zero).

After that, use the new "approved" column in the index to mark all the entities fitting in the weight border. Modify monster placement procedure to first check the "approved" column and then it should continue the generation as it's supposed to.
>>
File: wtf4chanlmao.png (58 KB, 800x346)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>2082387
Have to reply as an image cos 4chan thinks i'm trying to attack it lmao
>>
>>2078675
Anyone got a download for all of Yanfly's plugins? The fact she paywalled all that shit but apparently isn't offering any support or updates for them since hopping onto the VisuStella train is total bullshit.
>>
>>2082875
OK i had a think about it.
I think the chance for xdy == z is:
(z-x+1)!/(x+1)!*(z-2x)!) /y^x
If this look confusing it's the binomial cooeficent with wit n =z-x+1 and k=x+1 then dividing it by y^x.
So with this you automate the proccess and sum your percentages (just keep adding the terms) into an array at initalisation and you could keep it flexible enough to fuck around with your dice as needed.
>>
>>2082905
Just check the archives
>>
>>2082905
>she
>>
>>2083326
>paywalled
>>
>>2083455
>all
>>
>>2081953
I was considering it, but figured that it'd be too much work to do in just 2~3 weeks, especially since I've never made a CBS before. After cutting down my ideas, everything that I want to do is feasible with the default battle system.

>>2081119
I also made all of my maps 20x15 and it is as painful as you described. I think it'll be worth it for what I want to do, but holy FUCK is putting in all the teleport events and adjusting them tedious.
>>
>>2082729
Tank you annon! I will make this and try mess a little whit numbers what i get rolling random encounters.
>>
>>2082905
No idea if they're up to date but here you go anon
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6aq35rsz42iar8t/_YEP_FullCollection.zip/file
>>
File: evilprincipalconcept.png (512 KB, 900x900)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
Using the gamejam as an excuse to test out rpg maker and my ability to make characters/sprites/cgs and such. Going to keep the game real simple and more puzzle dungeon focused. Haven't officially entered but still trying to keep to the deadline, here's a concept for the demonlord/evil principal, want some feedback on the hair. The glasses will have pearl neck string attached. Not sure about colors yet but will be latex for the skirt since the reference I used has it also. Abandoned the shirt they originally had and tried to go for something else, not sure if I'll add a bra or not. Will work on playable character ideas tomorrow.
>>
>>2084083
Looking nice, I vote 3.

I also need to work on the school game but until I get my major scripting shit out of the way I'm not gonna enter. I think I'm close to finally finishing this shit but it's still gonna take a long ass time I think. Biggest issue is gonna be making/finding a good school tileset to use.
>>
>>2084083
want to say 1 but maybe you should go for 4, 1 would be nice but then the ruffle to the cloth with 1 or 3 it wouldt be in the way and capture her essence
>>
>>2084083
No bra. Mink coat. Cigarette stick. Get on it brother.
>>
>>2084498
seconding this. haircut 3 btw
>>
File: squilliam.jpg (20 KB, 300x300)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>only three weeks left on the jam
>>
>>2084771
>"only" three weeks
you've got so much time it's not even funny. If several anons could put out multi-hour games in less time, you've got no excuse.
>>
>>2084994
I have the database filled to the brim but still 0 gameplay idea.
>>
>>2084994
i just like making posts like that every now and then.
>>
File: 1450774836463.jpg (43 KB, 750x720)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>only 20 days 20 hours 33 minutes 27 seconds left on the jam
>>
File: alice.jpg (289 KB, 996x1600)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>2085030
>in just three short weeks you will get to experience the delight of playing games made by fellow citizens of /vrpg/
>>
File: 2no0oi.jpg (52 KB, 900x639)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Thinking of doing an exam game for the jam. The game takes place in a classroom during exam, the player is a student taking it. He can stop time to walk around and peek at the other students' answer sheets.

The gameplay is basically all thought out, the problem is the assets (can't draw shit). Any good classroom tileset and/or character sprites and portraits for the students?

Also what should the exam questions be about?
>>
>>2085066
Where coombat.
>>
>>2085071
no combat
shit, there should?
>>
>>2085004
Get some graph paper and make a maze on it. There's your dungeon. Make multiple floors or not, it's up to you. Now place treasure chests, a start and endpoint, and place the boss. Add a few traps, maybe a Mimic monster. Put this in the basement of a school, for the game jam setting, and now make a reason for having to visit the basement. Perhaps the basement is haunted, or bandits kidnapped a student and are holding him hostage down there, or goblins tunneled upwards from below, or the janitor needs help clearing it of rats and left his mop down there.

If you need to get really creative, find a comfy chair and sit in silence. Set an alarm for 20 minutes and doze off while thinking about anime and games and books with school settings. Try to remember your wandering thoughts when you wake up and write them down.
>>2085066
>Also what should the exam questions be about?
Video game trivia? Or maybe difficult biology questions. You could even do math questions by making a picture of the problem to solve, showing it on screen with an event, then having to answer A, B, C or D. Math would really filter a ton of people. Same for a foreign language, especially if it uses a non-Latin alphabet or symbols.
>>
>>2085082
>>You could even do math questions by making a picture of the problem to solve
Ah, questions with pictures didn't cross my mind before, I thought all questions would be text-based. Thanks for the suggestion.

Planning on doing about 100 questions and randomly selecting 10 of them for the exam for the replay value, don't want the answers to be easily Google-able though.
>>
>>2085074
Combat is not crucial to be classified an RPG I guess.
But it should be one, so maybe add some ways to get stats before exam begins, and those stats help you out. Like INT reducing answer count from 4 to 3, DEX making you move faster or the time stop lasting longer, etc.
>>
>>2085109
Cool suggestions for the stats, thank you.

Sounds like a pain to implement though, this would be my first game for a jam and I want the game to be short and simple enough to create.
The more I think about it the more this seems like a visual novel/adventure game though, so some sort of progression might be required.

eh I'll make it in RPG Maker anyway, should counts as an RPG right?
>>
>>2085170
>spoiler
No, I know it's used for walking simulators quite a bit, but they're still not RPGs.
But in the end it's all for fun, do whatever and don't mind the singular hater trying to bring you down (me). Rules are there, but breaking them for the sake of creativity or inexperience is perfectly fine.
>>
File: gachismile.png (77 KB, 224x255)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>2085170
Make anything you want, anon. I'll enjoy anything knowing a fellow anon made it. Be true to yourself! Don't give up! Do your best!
>>
>>2085050
This Alice is such a great girl.
>>
>>2085050
yeah probably only 3 entries
>>
File: 1630257729405.jpg (3.77 MB, 4674x4000)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
which one picrel has the hardest combat?
>>
>>2085713
You think the Jet anon will make another game? I really hope so.
>>
Rpg maker question, are notetags part of the actor data? I'm using a clone actor data and I can't figure out if it gets copied or not.
>>
>>2085985
Clone actor plugin*
>>
>>2085985
pretty sure it is. you can use notetag to activate script.
>>
I have silly math question.
I want to make upgrade to the weapons, and weapons having a ranking. I want if you maximise for exemple a B ranking sword, it's become 2x stornger than a A ranking whit no updates. And you update the A ranking to max, It become 2x the B ranking maximased. And i want a fixed upadete limit.

So... something like b+x = (a+x)/2. Thats simple, but... What possible number can I give to x if i want that a+x=100, for exemple whit B>0 and B+X>A?
>>
>>2086262
I've got a question.

What are the natures of these A and B rank swords? Are they the same sword at their base stats (for example lowest C rank short sword does 100 damage, middle B rank sword does 125 damage, top A rank short sword does 150 damage)? Or are they separate weapons using rank as an indicator for upgrades only?
>>
>>2086262
Instead of adding x couldn't you just muliply by it? Let x be upgrade power and =1 at unupgraded and =4 at fully upgraded. Let y be the base power of the weapon when unupgraded. Then t, the total power = y*x. Just have the base power of weapons double as you go through the ranks eg. c=3, b=6,a=12,s=24 or whatever.
>>
>>2085109
Gives me ideas actually...

My current project has a system for stats and skills like that already, and the system for skill rolls is almost done. I even figured out a formula to display the percentage chance of success up to 99% accuracy which is good enough.

I think I could maybe turn it into academic skills and make a similar sort of game. Although instead of a normal highschool, it'll be a Wizard college and you have to pass your final exam by making a potion and showing it off. If I got time there should be multiple possible potions to make depending on your skills with multiple endings but if push comes to shove I'll make only two endings (you pass or you fail).
>>
>>2086506
It's actually solve the problem very well.

>>2086441
Separate weapons, Ranking indicate min and max power level (you can't make a weapon become another ranking), and for the character used the weapon propely, like a character whit ranking c can equip a A sword, but he will not use it full power.
>>
Finally got to the worst part of any game; picking names for the characters.
>>
>>2086708
Use name generators.
>>
>>2086564
I see, in that case >>2086506 is definitely the way to go. If you don't feel like reading, ignore my explanation below as it's more of a hypothetical of how your vision would work.

The problem is, addition using your equation is impossible since the only way to define x in it is using formula x=a-2b , which is acceptable for the purpose of making the equation valid as a mathematical problem but in reality will return values equal or below zero with your conditions, which completely fails its practical purpose.

I do not know how your game engine perceives these swords - as separate entity with dedicated procedure or a reference taking values from an index, so I won't relay any exact calculations. Still the general idea for reaching your concept is such - weapons should have unmodified damage set a very specific and restricting way way:

1.Assuming B rank sword has 100 damage, to qualify your condition, A rank sword belonging to the same power tier should be 150.
2. B rank in this case will indicate that max upgraded B rank sword will have 300 base damage - that is, B rank indicates TRIPLING BASE DAMAGE
3. Naturally, to fulfil MAXUP(A RANK)=2*MAXUP(B RANK) condition A Rank will indicate that at maximum upgrade of A rank weapon it QUADRIPLES THE BASE DAMAGE (100*3=150*2 satisfies you condition for B ranks, 150*4=(100*3)*2 satisfies your A rank condition)

Introducing weapons will require you to separate them in power brackets that make them all appear almost simultaneously at a fixed point, and you should be strict in picking your base numbers to make them fit your vision of the upgrade system.

Also, the game that works like this will make upgrading mandatory, requiring you to introduce the upgrading resource in the course of the playthrough to prevent grinding.
>>
>>2086708
Any "Aerith and Bob" situations yet?
>>
>>2086793
>>>/tvtropes/
>>
>>2086708
>be from europe
>need character name
>pick a trait they have
>look up a list of synonyms in my language
>pick the one that sounds coolest
>change a letter or two to make it sound even cooler
>>
>>2086831
HISSSS, THE HUMANLINGS FOUND USSSS!
>throws laptop out of the window and slithers away
>>
>>2086773
In other words, I'm fuck'd to balance this system? High chances to power creep?
Well the idea is that the weapons are kinda random and you have a low chance to found a high rank weapon early, but low ranking still viable for long amont of the play, since they are cheapper to upgrade, and weapon have durability. (the power gained whit upgrade is also random, so no garanted you will have the stongest weapon by upgrade, thats a low chance actually. I trying to stipulate a max and min range of power).
There are better/easy way to have my goals achieved whit the upgrade system?
>>
>>2086773
Now a question come to mind... What are the numbers to a C ranking sword in your exemple?
Like... 150/100 = 1.5 and 600/300 = 2, but aplling the same to a lower ranking it don't match: 66 ~ 150 don't satify the condition MaxC = MinB*2.
>>
File: screen.png (521 KB, 818x656)
521 KB
521 KB PNG
>>2085870
I'm working on one. It's slow going and I will probably end up having to cut the postgame I had planned but I'm hoping to at least put out something decent.
>>
>>2087366
BASED
>>
>>2087141
The problem is, I can't read minds and, therefore, can't see the full picture of the system you had planned. Maybe your game increases enemies per encounter to compensate for this, or maybe your game is extremely fast-paced and relies on landing as many hits as possible instead of powerful attacks..

I can only refer to my gaming experience and point the obvious flaws using such system entails. The beauty of the game's balance is that you can always introduce a minor alteration that fixes everything.

Alright, enough monologing. Let's solve your problem. So, what can I do without touching your formula? I can introduce a moving damage cap that is narratively integrated in the story and increases after core story events. Should it make higher level weapon upgrades useless as the damage bumps into the cap, I introduce 100% reliable demoting with full material compenstion to engage player's optimisation urges and to allow other party members to take upgrades instead. Assuming I have no Idea what the story is but I have full access of the battle system and a weapon drop chance/damage table - I make the defense formula quadratic or cubic, take the weapon class/upgrade combination somewhere between the damage median and maximum possible damage and adjust the defense value so that the encounter lasts for as many turns as I need.

The trick is always addressing the system and working around it. Slapping things as an afterthought ALWAYS breaks balance.
>>
Does RPGM yet some have plugin to properly deal with fullscreen?
>>
>>2087311
I've come up with the example that satisfies A and B rank situation, and the C rank was used as a stand in to simulate the 3-step system.

Assuming that C class is the lowest class of weapons that has 90% spawn chance and is considered trash tier, I'd use the base damage of it as 50. Since It's extremely common, we can wave it off as a simple trash loot and assign it's maximum damage value as MAXUPGRADE(C Rank)=B Rank, therefore, DOUBLING basic damage.

Still, we'll need to assign it some value to have the player interact with it:
1. Dirt Cheap modification.
2. Active use for disassembling that gives universal material for all weapon upgrades.
3. Can be used by every class. (If you design bosses around weakness to certain weapons breaching which changes the battle phase switch to allow dealing damage, for example)
4. Only rank of weapons capable of, for example, damaging ghosts (explained by demonic taint narratively or simular excuse).

And so on and so forth...
>>
File: 1631407133960.png (142 KB, 852x328)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
Select RPG Makers are now on sale. While this sure isn't the cheapest sale they've ever been on, now's your chance to grab 2k/3 on the cheap.
Curiously MV is not on sale, but at least VXA is there for people requiring something more modern.
>>
File: 1608155188587.png (14 KB, 644x484)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2086708
imagine not forcing the player to shoulder that burden as they sit at the name entry screen for 10 minutes.
>>
>Want to go out and get rpg maker mv plugins
>Most of the ones I want are paid
>Realize already have them on old hardrive

What the actual fuck these are from like 2019 jesus christ where does the time go.
>>
>>2087510
Is VX Ace worth it? Feel like most of the popular games are made with it now and it probably has a lot of Ruby fags who don't wanna move from RGSS to JS writing plugins. How accurate is that
>>
>>2087932
Yeah.
>>
>>2087932
Pick up the demo, start on you're jam game, and if you like what you see, pick it up before the sale ends on the 20th.
>>
Why is RPGM2K so aesthetic, bros?
>>
>>2088211
its low resolution takes me back to playing snes jrpgs. the newer games' resolutions don't correspond to any era of jrpgs in my head, so there's not that automatic cozy nostalgia feeling that i get from rm2k/3. does that make sense?
>>
any 2K friends want MIDI for their game? i have been making a ton because i enjoy the format and it'd be cool to contribute to people's jam projects.
example of a short schoolish snippet ive done: https://files.catbox.moe/dtumrx.mid
>>
>>2088230
>low-res
>janky games
>sometimes great games
>kick back and use a controller to play them
maximum comfy.
>>
>His game doesn't begin with a quote
>>
>>2088300
>his game doesn't begin with a biblical quote
>>
>>2088306
>his game doesn't begin
>>
>supposed to work on game
>don't
LOCK ME UP
>>
I need to know what the font used in RPGMaker MV is called. I tried googling it but no matter how specific I get it's just a bunch of threads on message boards asking how to change the font, or talking about VX/Ace.
>>
>>2088269
I like this, anon, especially that chord modulation section (is that what it's called?). It has a romantic era feeling with a more modern convention. I could see it used in the snow zone of an RPG, most likely a castle.
>>
File: 1609742233177.png (56 KB, 1411x740)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>2088456
Look in the font folder of your project brother
>>
File: teacherprotags.png (1.26 MB, 1135x900)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>8 hour workday
>had 4 hours of sleep last night
>Want to get done with shit so I can draw some cutie protag teachers

Left is the magic based build and right is the phys build. Been referencing oda non for faces for the teachers, will need to look at someone else for the students. I'm going to fucking hate doing the lineart. Not too sure about magic teacher hairstyle, thinking I'll do something else like adding freckles and maybe doing a more OL lady haircut.
>>
Spent all day working on a system that sounded cool as a concept, but thinking about it will do nothing but make the game clunkier to play, harder to balance, and ultimately more annoying. The longer I think about it, the more holes I realize in how it wasn't a good plan. The bad news is that I wasted my day on this. The good news is that I managed to realize that it wasn't a good idea and thus it's getting scrapped, so I can move along and just work on the actually important stuff. Wasting this much time stings, though.

>>2088624
Ah, they're cute. Are those the player characters?
>>
>>2088845
What's the system anon? I'm almost done with mine and I feel like it was almost not worth the amount of effort lmao. Especially since it probably would have been much easier with JS. Though overall it's sort of essential to the game concept so I'm glad I almost got it to work.
>>
>>2088211
You grew up in the 1990-2000 period
>>
>>2088864
I'm working on a roguelite-esque game, and I had the bright idea of "hey, what if before every fight you choose which party members will participate, and the party members that don't fight get to heal, but if you lose the fight it's still back to the start/game over? yeah, that would be cool."
In my excitement to program that system, I realized that it would almost always be better to use your full party no matter what (kill all enemies faster, enemy damage gets spread between multiple allies rather than all on one or two, if you get wiped out you get a game over either way so why bench anyone), and also that this system would be basically impossible to balance (if i balance all encounters to be clearable by a single character, they'll be way too easy with a full party, if i balance them to be clearable only with a full party then you'd never want to bench anyone because you'll be too gimped to deal with them, etc). I think in a different game setup it would work fine, but in this specific scenario I can't see it being received well by players or by myself. Maybe in a future project but not this one.

What have you been up to with yours?
>>
>>2088845
I've been doing some really controversial shit that I think will either be hated or DESPISED.
>No EXP. Cash is your one resource, and it buys everything including levels
>Additional cash is awarded from random encounters based on how quickly you finish the fights
>No inns, no free healing from any source, healing is done with items only, so you must weigh the choice of holding onto some extra cash or going all-in on other things
>Skills which can only be "equipped" in limited amounts. Skills also improve stats (usually ones which complement the skill itself), but pick the ones you bring along carefully.
>Any character can learn any skill, limited only by the above catch
>Certain quality of life things cost an exorbitant amount of money to do, but can be done if you're willing to pay
You can see what I'm attempting to make here.
>>
>want to add variability by making multiple party member combinations
>have to think of different conversations depending of the members of the party
Sometimes I feel I like to overcomplicate myself
>>
>>2088903
How many party members? Make its o the amount of characters is like x1.5 the amount of characters in fight, easy peazy
>>
>>2088979
It's all in execution. Dark Souls combined XP and Money into a single resource and it worked fine. Most of what you describe depends on what the content looks like.
>Additional cash is awarded from random encounters based on how quickly you finish the fights
More games should do this.
>Skills which can only be "equipped" in limited amounts
This is pretty much the Final Fantasy Job system.
>Certain quality of life things cost an exorbitant amount of money to do, but can be done if you're willing to pay
This is the only thing on the list I see that seems highly likely to be hated, although it depends a lot on what sort of QoL you're talking about. Since I mentioned the FF Job system already, that's a good example of a game where you had a QoL feature (dash) that required you to either have a thief in the party or spend a skill slot on it. It was purely something that let you move through maps faster and had no other gameplay relevance. Final Fantasy VI did this also, where you had to allocate a relic slot for sprint shoes. Later releases of these games gave this ability for free by hitting a button on the world map (and there are hacks for the originals that players often use). Another category of this kind of thing is the "identify" type spells and "lore skill" more common in western CRPGs where the player isn't allowed to see stats and other attributes of a weapon without first identifying it. In theory it's a roleplay feature and in some games it does work, but more often than not it just winds up being a tedious hassle, a bunch of pointless timesinks to deal with every time you obtain a new item.
>>
File: file.png (295 KB, 640x480)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>2088979
I have similar idea
>>
>>2086841
I like this method. Harder to pull off in real world scenarios, though.
>>
>>2086841
I've been doing a similar thing, but looking up etymologies for words that describe the thing and changing an archaic form of the word from often a dead language.
Ancient Greek and Old Norse are favourites.
>>
File: 1620329673159.png (190 KB, 418x498)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>You can check and alter states and even do conditionals in the formula field
woah...
>>
that's it i'm opening rpg maker
>>
anyone working on a titty game?
>>
>>2091982
Does text titty count?
>>
>>2091982
does kemono titty count
>>
i didn't work on my game today, but now that it's nearly 1 am i think i'm really ready to start making progress
>>
>>2091982
sounds fun, can you describe the gameplay of this "titty"
>>
>>2087932
Is VX Ace worth it if you already have MV?
>>
I want to create a spell that would continue for a couple of turns for example summon a storm and at the end of every turn for 3 turns lightning strikes a random enemy. during the duration of the turns the black cloud stays above the enemies.
best way to do this?
>>
File: twitter cover.png (23 KB, 1500x500)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
Sent my game to an indie game publication, they're gonna feature an article about it. I'll link it here when it's up
>>
>>2092956
Nice anon. Be sure to send it to a bunch of desperate e-celebs as well for free advertisement.
>>
>>2092962
Who would you recommend I start with?
>>
>>2092966
No idea I don't watch cancerous e-celebs. Probably should look for channels that play a lot of indie/early access games.
>>
File: pngimages.png (71 KB, 900x532)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>2092973
Roger.
>>
>>2092891
If programming, I'd create an effect that in OnTurnStart() would decrement duration by 1 and do its thing.
>>
>>2092891
On RPG Maker MV it's pretty easy to setup using yanfly's base troop events plugin. Create a custom buff with duration of 3 turns, which will be given to the target of the spell. In the troop events page on troop #0 (which will be copied to all other troop pages if using yanfly's base troop events plugin) have the character with the custom buff force cast the 'summon storm' spell on itself if the buff timer is 0.
For the animation, this is also doable with yanfly's Visual State Effect plugin. You can read the details on the links below
http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Base_Troop_Events_(YEP)
http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Visual_State_Effects_(YEP)
>>
>>2093016
To be clear, you'll need to make two spells. One spell called 'summon storm' that is the actual damaging part of the spell (targets self, causes damage), and another spell with the actual name of the spell you want (targets enemies, no damage, only applies the buff).
Also don't forget to reapply the buff on the same If statement that checks if the buff timer is 0.
>>
Just finished drawing/coloring my MC's naked and clothed neutral standing sprite. Feels pretty good to be productive for once. Also finished her 3m/6m/8m pregnancy bellies because I'm unoriginal and like VH.
>>
>>2078675
Rpgmaker question here (mz/mv). Suppose i give a weapon a trait that grants a skill. If i take the weapon out, does the skill get unlearned?
>>
>>2095133
yeah
>>
>>2094946
>spoiler text
Hit me like a sucker punch, anon, damn. Are you making a patreon game or is this for fun?
>>
i'm just not feeling like working on my game at all, but i know that deadline's sneaking up faster and faster.
>>
>Try to deploy game
>Missing msgimg_0

Fuck, deploying a game is more difficult that I thought. Also how do I remove personal info from the deployment folder? All that shit is in there. Do I just do web browser only deployment or something?
>>
>>2092966
Manlybadasshero and Alpha Beta Gamer
>>
>>2095183
Thanks
>>
>>2087510
There are people who actually buy rpg maker at that price?
>>
>>2096430
>tfw bought mv at launch
>>
>>2087510
>>2096430
>>2096499
>not just pirating it
>>
>>2096595
Some of us have gotten so many hundreds of hours out of not only making, but playing these RM games that even at full price it's a pittance compared to the amount of enjoyment received.
>>
>rpg maker
Is there a way to make 3 equipment slots that are interchangable? Like having 3 ring slots?
>>
>>2096659
? add another equipment slot?
>>
>>2096720
Dumb question. Thanks.
>>
>>2096728
>>2096720
On closer inspection it was not dumb. You can't add 2 slots by the same name baseline. But there are plugins. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction anon.
>>
>>2078675
Any MV plugins that allows me to give Actors in-battle full body or bust portraits based a piece of equipment?
>>
>>2096499
At least you didn't buy VX at launch before Ace came out. Anyone who did that got absolutely fucked.
>>
Anyone know of a plugin to change the damage number colors based on damage type?

Red= phys
Blue=magic etc
>>
>>2096916
>using an event as a cursor that moves around on a CMS
>grab player current location in variables, warp to menu
>cursor starts off-screen and its location changes based on x/y coordinates manipulated with keypresses
>if and only if this cursor is moved anywhere from its starting position on this CMS, and you close out the menu to return to the variable location stored, the game crashes stating "invalid event specified"
>the event isn't being called or anything, it's just a fucking icon on this specific map that has its location changed
>confirmed in EasyRPG Player that it's that exact "icon" event that's causing it
I have no clue how to deal with this since the "usual" things that cause this such as
>trying to call a map event that exists on one map but not on another
aren't in play here.
I don't get what moving an event on an entirely different map is breaking when returning to a previous map. The event ID in question doesn't exist on the other map, but that's because it has no reason to. It just... has its position changed on map A, and shouldn't impact anything on any other map outside of the one it was moved around on.
>>
>>2097062
sorry about the unrelated reply btw >>2096916
>>
>>2097065
i was very confused
>>
File: sad.png (210 KB, 854x882)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>2095789
Just for fun to familiarize myself with MV. That aside, naming characters is hard. I've been wracking my brain for weeks over a name that would fit an aristocratic girl from a fantasy, loosely greco-roman inspired empire. While the game's just an experiment, it doesn't feel right to leave her unnamed. Here's one of her sad/worried expressions.
>>
>>2097117
Use the name generator. I mean, come on, people use "name generators" to name their children, not some game character.
>>
File: 1605732893936.png (13 KB, 644x484)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>2097075
It's ok. I finally figured it out after combing through shit and realizing that one misplaced label was somehow causing my events to continue looping even outside the scope of the map it was taking place on. I feel like an asshole for missing something like that even though I'd been looking at it for like an hour straight.
>tfw set up a map full of dogs and only realized what was going on when the events in the CMS map were still working on an entirely random, unrelated map
>>
sup, I wanted to make a game for my final year project, my scope is simple but not too simple, im experienced in c, c++ and java, any advice or just git gud?
>>
>>2097212
any advice on what?
you've got a scope and programming experience, which sounds too me like a good start
do you have an engine in mind, tell us more about the project, concerns you might have with it, features that you consider but might take a long time, what artstyle, etc
>>
>>2097236
general advice, I guess, this is my first time with something as big as this. I was given a lot of choice for the type of projects but I decided go for making a game cause thats what I wanna do not necessarily experienced in.
>do you have an engine in mind,
still figuring that out, one of the things I need advice on
>tell us more about the project,
I havent start anything at all really, so I cant tell much about it
>concerns you might have with it,
since this is my first time, im afraid I'll screw it up or something, coding im not too worried if i get stuck I'll just look it up online
>features that you consider but might take a long time,
havent figured the features yet but i planned it to be a short game, might not even be a rpg
>what artstyle
pixel artstyle with top down view e.g the first few zelda games
QRD, i havent start anything yet just wanted to know the dos and donts I suppose
>>
>>2097292
Okay I see how it is.
I'd start with choosing an engine. You know C++ so I was gonna recommend Unreal, but I heard it's not that good for 2D pixelshits. Unity or Godot would be better for that. Maybe try all three if you feel like it.
Look up tutorials for how to do shit in those engines, I know Unreal and Unity have really robust knowledge base to get you started, Godot I think struggles a bit but maybe there's stuff now.
So do some of those tutorials and you should get a hang of how to maek gaem. Then sit down and think what you want to make, then make a simple prototype of that idea, then if it's fun throw it on here for some feedback, then add content, then throw it again for testing, and then polish stuff and fix bugs and you're done.
>>
>>2097318
alright thanks, anon, I appreciate the help
>>
>>2080033
Octacon, is that you?
>>
File: protagchoice.png (1.88 MB, 1135x815)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
Still working on shit while working full time, sleep schedule has taken a hit. Had to get up early today but at least I got some coloring and lineart done. Not liking the pose for Blue teacher, thinking of redoing it since I referenced a character from Persona too heavily for it and the clothing. Probably going to redo her on friday night. Got character classes worked out, just thinking of what kind of type of students they should be. Any ideas/feedback would be great.

Delinquent/Thief = Gyaru girl
Dancer/Bard = Street Dancer Type or thinking punk rock girl so guitars can be used as weapons to make it easy
Athlete/Monk = Tan tomboy, not sure if spats or should be in a swimming leotard but heavily leaning towards spats/sports bra for that track and field look
Engineer/Machinist = Pigtails + Visor, face is never seen
Black Mage = Nerd

Not sure if I have enough time to get in all of these but also still want to add a goth type just not sure what class they'd work with besides maybe summoner for eldritch summoning. Still working on the four fiends also.
>>
File: mimic.png (1 KB, 64x64)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>2097753
Looks great, anon. I'd make black mage the goth girl and summoner a nerd, but that's just my taste. If you do make the goth a summoner, maybe make it more necromancer-like, which would be more in line with goths. An army of unholy dead abominations summoned by a sassy goth girl would be hot.

Also, I'm so close to being done with my game that I have no idea what to post as progress without spoiling it. I want to share it so bad but I have to be patient...
>>
>>2097140
That character sprite is fucking amazing.
I can't be the only one who dislikes 64px chibis with giant heads, right?
>>
>>2097117
Thats a pretty cute pic anon, did you drew it?
>>
>>2097937
Nevermind, I didn't noticied the other post, sorry
Good luck on your game
>>
>>2078675
next time someone goes
>hurr durrr rpgmaker cant do real-time combat
show them THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKIbX-HeBaM
>>
>>2099658
>modern rpgm
>using scripts out the ass
>probably almost 0 eventing
You are like little baby. Watch THIS
https://youtu.be/IEeZw9Amhtk
>>
>>2099675
>eventing is a skill
>look at what I can do using really clunky toolset
Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

But honestly in complex projects, it'll be a nightmare to maintain, add more content to, etc.
>>
>>2099697
filtered
>>
>>2099675
oh, but I already saw it before, and its damn awesome for something done with only events.
>>
>>2088608
seeing this font gives me a pavlovian boner
>>
>>2099675
Imagine what these guys could do with the latest official (EN) versions of 2k/3 with the updated image limits and, in the case of 2k3, extra means of manipulating pictures/picture parameters with variables.
>>
How bold would it be to sell my game using the ingame assets?

How do I find motivation? I finished my game script, I need to work on mapping and the events. Half of me wants to get a programmer and move from rpgmaker but I have no motivation and I wouldn't want to do that to a person. I have Zun tier art or worse so I'm debating if I should use sprites or no sprites in the game but some people can't read feelings and need to see visuals to get the feeling conveyed. I also feel like my game is too short to sell and I've been thinking of padding it out a bit to make it worth some pocket change. Then I thought to myself, does anyone even like "treasure hunt" type games?
>>
>>2085857
I naaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrowly scraped by time and again in Raw Inversion.
There's several areas and fights that require you to play pretty much perfectly without losing anyone, because each party member brings something to the table that you're screwed without.
The early game is badly balanced and NOT in your favor, but once you reach the fucking minotaur room the difficulty starts to be genuine and mostly fair, if unforgiving.
>>
>watching a shit-ton of kamen rider instead of working on my game
>getting the urge to shoehorn some tokusatsu bullshit into it
>>
>>2099812
True, I got filtered by clunkiness and moved on to Godot.
>>
Which rpg maker has the best character generator?
>>
>>2097753
Your game looks fun, the protags are really cute.
>>
File: sovl.webm (1.08 MB, 640x360)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB WEBM
finally made a logo for the title screen. also my programmer added status menus
>>
File: 1626150969998.png (15 KB, 644x484)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>2101174
Looking good.
Meanwhile, slowly trying to get my CMS out of mock-up mode while ADHD'ing game balance, adding features, and other stuff.
>>
>>2101174
Does your game have breeding? I always liked the Dragon Warrior Monsters system where stats and skills get fused and the parents run off. Pokemon breeding sucks.
>>
File: monster fusion.png (115 KB, 1202x935)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>2101220
looks legit. don't know about that portrait style, but I assume it's placeholder

>>2101452
it has monster fusion like the DQ system you described. you can fuse two monsters into one and it'll inherit skills from both its "parents"
>>
>>2101479
This is a game for the ongoing jam, which means that placeholders BECOME the final on a long enough timeline.
>>
>>2101174
Gave the demo a quick load up while i was eating my sandwich and managed to instantly crash the game by pressing the status menu. (linux if it's helps)
>>
>>2101618
OH FUCK.
Thanks for letting me know. I just discovered I forgot to export with all the resources. CHRIST i'm retarded
Uploading fixed versions right now. I'm sorry, I haven't been able to think straight lately. You just saved me a lot of grief
>>
>>2101618
>>2101629
the new version's up. try it out now
>>
>>2101479
Very nice. Fusion is a great system and I always wished Pokemon had it. Does your fusion system create new monsters, or just a copy of a parent with combined skills?
>>2101629
There is no worse feeling than uploading a game and realizing there's a critical error on startup. It's happened to me so many times, anon... always worried that whoever tried to play it will now never bother, even after I fixed it.
>>
>>2101783
>Does your fusion system create new monsters, or just a copy of a parent with combined skills?
The former, although it depends on what you mean by "new". Fusings two monsters will result in a monster which shares at least one classification with its two parents, but that's the only constant. The result isn't set in stone. There are, however, monsters which can't be found in the wild, and thus can only be obtained through fusion.
>There is no worse feeling than uploading a game and realizing there's a critical error on startup. It's happened to me so many times, anon... always worried that whoever tried to play it will now never bother, even after I fixed it.
GOD FUCK IKR
>>
>>2101479
Just a thought but aren't the monsters kinda out of symmetry there? It looks kind of wierd that one is more close to the center than the other. Otherwise glad to see this project's progress.
>>
>>2102469
yeah that's true. might fix that sometime, but it's not a high priority
anyway, thank you
>>
>>2100009
Completely just in-engine graphics? Good luck. If you think about the games that do decent and use the RTP, they still have some custom assets

I.E. H-games use the RTP religiously but obviously have hentai pictures added in. But even some other RTP centric games have some custom graphics added. If you have 0 custom assets from the base and all your advertisement for the game shows RTP, you're gonna be fucked.

Even if your art is ZUN-tier it's better than nothing. You can still use the RTP as long as you have some custom graphics and use your custom art to advertise the game. Anything to set it even slightly above the average dumpster fire will go a long way.
>>
>>2103081
>ZUN-tier
Did you checked his last game? Zun's art improved A LOT
>>
File: example.png (3.64 MB, 2065x1626)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB PNG
I joined the jam a little under a week ago, I'm not trying to make anything big. I'm trying to make an arena fighter where you have to manage pain, morale and energy in order to avoid multiple debuffs.
You can also train stats, (charisma in the place of mat, willpower in the place of mdf and intelligence in the place of luck) to get better at defending yourself against debuffs and possibly delivering them.
I'm about to make the first boss (only gonna be 3) and honestly I'm having a lot of fun.
>>
>>2097117
Call her "Virginia".
>>
>>2103243
Playing with little boys in spandex I see?
>>
>>2103243
Went with "Octavia" for now until I can think of something more appropriate. Managed to make some progress today with a rudimentary costume system to test out the paper doll, but her pictures are getting blurred to all hell in fullscreen. Is MV smearing vaseline all over my monitor?
>>
AH FUCK ANOTHER JAM
>>
Anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction about doing "build your own party'' in the likes of FF1 or Etrian Odyssey in RPGMaker?
>>
>>2103956
Yanfly party manager can help with that pretty sure. Just limit the party they can pick and where they can open the party management.
>>
File: 1626413513450.png (177 KB, 795x598)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
>>2103956
If using an RM newer than 2000 where classes are considered separate from characters: easy mode
If using RM2k: Still easy mode, but you'll spend more time creating your class level/stat tables than actually eventing anything else
>>
>>2080028
I mean it looks like you made the sprites yourself. You're fine
>>
File: gothconcepts.png (563 KB, 1200x486)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
Decided to go with black mage Goth girl. Can't decide on hairstyles, thinking 1 but a bit shorter. Also not sure on outfits, should I do a hoodie or a more traditional gothic lolita dress. I'm thinking hoodie for the black mage would be more fitting.
>>
File: 1609474699630.webm (2.13 MB, 569x320)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB WEBM
>>2104355
Just use a little imagination and you can do whatever you want. Save the scripts for later.
>>
>>2104371
I like 1 the best
>>
i'm giving up on actually getting any work done until the final like, 8 or 9 days when my brain says "oh fuck we have to crunch now"
>>
>>2104371
1 gets my vote
>>
>>2104097
>>2104355
>>2104401
cool thanks
>>
>>2103157
Yeah though I assume he means old ZUN art, which still will be better than nothing or shitty MSPaint scribbles.
>>
>>2078675
Got too distracted by trying to find another job and playing NEO twewy and fell behind, finishing up the third chapter dungeon in the game and thankfully I already mapped out the dungeons for the last 3 chapters so I won't have to spend much time on those, just have to script the events all this is on MV
>>
Got my opening cutscene half done.
Next on my list:
>work on writing more enemy conversations
>finish making the sidequests on the 1st floor
>think up a cool gimmick for the first boss battle on the 1st floor
>>
>>2104371
Damn you are talented.
>>
https://indiegamebuzz.com/mirrored-soul-a-monster-collecting-rpg-full-of-personality/
here it is folks
>>
File: persona.webm (2.35 MB, 240x160)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB WEBM
Making a Persona like RPG for the GBA.

This is what happens when you don't have enough MP for a summon.
>>
>>2105591
kek
>>
File: mcfly.png (36 KB, 320x240)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Finished my game, now I just have to do test runs.
>>
>>2105591
>actually making a GBA homebrew game
What tools are you using?
>>
>>2105353
Nice, I hope your game becomes successful
>>
>>2104371
3B
>>
>>2104371
2C
>>
>>2107613
https://devkitpro.org/
https://www.coranac.com/projects/#tonc
>>
>>2078675
What kind of ways turns are handled in turn-based RPGs you believe to be underrated?
I want to know about the cool turn mechanics you wish to see in more games.
>>
>>2100613
DO. IT.
>>
File: wasted.webm (2.61 MB, 240x160)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB WEBM
>>2105591
game over
>>
Currently deciding between putting in some sort of marker for NPCs that have quests or just leaving them out entirely and having players talk to every NPC to find out which ones actually have things to give.
I honestly prefer not having any kind of quest indicator at all, but I have a *lot* of NPCs in the game and I'm sure somebody will just give up on talking to any after a while.
>>
>>2109499
Make it optional.
>>
>>2109499
Add a "rumors" option and there NPCs will tell you "I heard this NPC had some tasks for brave adventurers".
>>
>>2109646
And maybe THEN put a marker on them.
>>
>>2109345
>Nnnnhhhg i'm a thirsty little flower you have to water me
>>
I will start my project tomorrow...
>>
>>2110420
I've been screwing around with the database instead of actually making the game until a few days from the deadline, so just like the last jam.
>>
Progress so far
>made camera system that can be zoomed in/out and moved with mouse wheel
>put a single sprite on screen
gonna... make it...
>>
Do most of you just make all of your plugins by scratch or do you rely on other people's plugins?
>>
>>2078675
I've seriously considered either RPGMaker or Ren-yi for a visual novel. I really like RPGMaker but since it won't have any combat I guess I'll go with Ren yi. Seems easier out of the box.
>>
>>2108916
Darkest Dungeon PVP's chess-like implementation. No Speed stat to determine who goes first, instead player A choose which character to activate first, then player B chooses, then player A chooses the second character to activate, then player B chooses again, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>2111061
I take other people's plugins and modify them for my own needs.
Here I'm half-way through screwing the Yanfly's shop menu so the windows are in different positions and I can display the skill list from the equipment learning plugin I have in the bottom-right window.
>>
>>2111568
The custom font, iconwork, omission of the superfluous picture icon up top and the rearranged windows really masks the Yanfly origins enormously imo. not sure what your intent is but slowly inching away from Yanfly's window set ups really goes a long way, which is my only complaint about his plugins
>>
>>2111061
I don't use plugins.
>>
File: gyarusmall.png (1.1 MB, 1200x1200)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
Art struggles continue. I'm just going through hair super fast and not bothering too much with it. Here's Gyaru girl, she's a Thief/Delinquent. Going to work on Goth girl and Nerd girl some more. I may only get the main cast portraits done before jam time is up but I'm prolly going to keep working on this game into October.
>>
>2 weeks left
>>
>>2112749
>literally didn't open my game in the last week
that's postgame out the window but i should've known better than to expect that of myself. honestly it's gonna be a miracle if i manage to shit out something halfway decent but i'll give it a try.
>>
Learn code
>>
>>2112943
no offense but i'd literally rather die
>>
>>2112943
learning to draw is much more useful

t. coder
>>
>>2112943
I have genuine fun when trying to come up with ways to solve problems via coding.
>>
>>2112643
maybe just a demo for the jam and keep working on your game pas that?
>>
>>2113175
I did too, but the job market is so saturated that I gave up quickly on studying computer science.
>>
>>2113175
Solving problems is fun
Organising a project is not fun
Having a shittily organised project that gets in the way of solving problems is very not fun
>>
>>2113133
You better ask help from someone or hire a friend then, I already said in other thread but if your game ever get plagued by glitches you will regret bitterly not being able to fix them
>>
File: 1439685350450.jpg (587 KB, 1484x2158)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
I'm tired of rpgmaker, If another game engine for retards shows up Im going to buy it and fiddle on it, I'm not going back.
I'd rather learn to mod a rpg but devs are so jewish, they no longer make stuff like neverwinter nights
>>
>>2114544
Wish there was some sort of similar retard maker out there. Anything similar is even shittier.
>>
>>2114544
There's this
http://rpg-paper-maker.com/?i=1
It's really, really early in development though.

There's also SRPG Studio if you want to make SRPGs, though it might just be better to make a FE romhack since that has a ton of great tools and you'll get more exposure that way.
>>
Anyone able to tell if these tilesets are compatible with MZ? They're for Wolf RPG but I've definitely seen them both used in at least MV and if they work in MV they should work on MZ as well.

https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ209797.html
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ177740.html
>>
>>2114986
They're most likely gonna be images. You can just edit images to MZ format in worst case scenario, no?
>>
>>2114986
If it's Wolf RPG they're likely 16x16 which means you're good. You need to upscale them by 3 to fit the default MV/MZ resolution of 48x48

The only thing that can't be used with MV/MZ easily is 32x32 tilesets because half pixels means they'll look distorted and blurry as fuck. So VX Ace and XP stuff is out unless you use plugins to set it to 32.
>>
>>2115030
>>2114986
Wait I'm retarded and just checked the page with google translate

>32px

yeah they're fucked bro
>>
>>2115080
Just split them in half and then upscale by 3 lol.
>>
>>2115093
that makes them look like complete shit, I've tried before, Pixel art does not downscale well at all.
>>
>>2114963
that looks kinda cool, I mean the objects look better than what you get from using rpgmaker 3d plugin.
>>
File: dicks.png (13 KB, 202x94)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>2115119
>>2115093
Proofs, using a filter like the later ones is your best bet but it will look super blurry. AI Upscaling doesn't even fix it either. 48 is such a retarded resolution because of this shit. No idea why they decided to up it to such a retarded resolution especially since MV/MZ was supposed to be for mobile games and the low resolution would be better anyway.
>>
>>2115119
>>2115177
Where did I said anything about downscaling though?
Cut up the 32px sprites into four 16px pieces and upscale those by 3.
>>
>>2115190
They'd look better yeah since you're upscaling in multiples, but the tilesets would look massive in MV/MZ
>>
>wrote down things to do for jamgam yesterday or two days ago
>can't find them anywhere now
heck
at least I think I wrote them down, maybe I just thought of them while walking around
>>
>>2115230
I found them, they were comments in my code files.
>>
>>2114963
Too bad the engine dev is a fag
>>
i think im gonna throw out everything ive made other than the cut scenes and start over on gameplay. im just not having fun working on what im doing which is uhhhh, not a good sign probably.

how's your jam projects going, folks?
>>
>>2115337
Stuck on dungeon implementation. School hub is easy, stuck on if I should just add floors as dungeons or have characters be sucked into weird twisted alternate levels in the classes ala SM64. I'm thinking the first rather than the latter but the second one lets me get weird with level/enemy designs.
>>
>>2115337
Slowly moving forward, right now implementing unique room mechanics.
I still need to design some enemies and maybe adjust combat a bit to make it more fun.
>>
>>2115337
Making the bosses and writing dialogue for the social-link/support scenes between characters right now. I went a full chuuni on one of the characters which is kinda silly if you consider that they're all high schoolers BUT I'm having fun writing them.
I also made a lot of original enemy designs, but I'll have to probably throw some of them out because writing unique dialogue for 20+ enemies is going to kill me.
>>
>>2115337
Planning the game's progression
>>
>>2115341
What about a magical chalkboard and formulae hidden in a book, deep in the school library, that open a portal?
>>
>>2115337
Got stuck in a part I need to flesh out but isn't really all that interesting from a dev perspective, so my progress has slowed down.
I'm not in a rush since there's still a lot of time left and my project is small.
>>
>>2114544
RPG Paper Maker
Bit GM
both are actually shittier than RPGM though
>>
>>2115570
why?
>>
>>2115572
Less features and support than even RPGM 2k
Less intuitive to use
I mean BitGM is literally a phone app
>>
>>2115177
Cute
>>
>>2078675
I happen to have MV. No experience with it, but I did contribute somewhat actively to some open source games in the past. Should I just jump in?
>>
Beginner question, I made the resolution 1080p but the camera is zoomed out, how do I get it to zoom in and follow the player?
>>
>>2116137
Give it a try if you feel like it and have some time.
>>
File: title_compare.png (28 KB, 1280x480)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
Polishing things up now that I'm done. What do you anons think? Which title screen do you guys like?
>>
>>2116324
I like the composition on the right one more, but there's a lot of empty space. Maybe if the dragon and tower were bigger, and some things in the water? Waves etc.
>>
First one is way better.
>>
>>2116324
Didn't even realise that was meant to be water before >>2116338 pointed it out. Thought it was just blank space and the top was a banner.
>>
File: title_ii.png (9 KB, 640x480)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>2116338
>>2116371
>>2116365
What about this?
>>
File: gian.png (4 KB, 288x300)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
posts em enemy designs folks
here's something i made the other day
>>
>>2115337
I used RTP since I figured I wasn't going to have the time to draw everything myself and wanted to focus on the gameplay, but then I wasted several days trying to clumsily draw some custom assets similar to RTP's props and color scheme. Now neither looks good, and I've lost a few days work.

Gonna get the basic game loop down to pat today or tomorrow, then keep testing the combat system while adding more background conversations and features.
>>
>>2116427
First one keeps being way better.
Second one is boring, dragon is too small, etc.
>>
File: index.jpg (359 KB, 777x1089)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>2116534
Not muh Gian.

Looks good. The black outlines and shading make it look a bit like a Pokemon sprite for some reason.
>>
>>2116606
thanks, anon! that's a really really fucking cool design you posted, what's it from? i know i'm probably stupid for not knowing; i don't watch as many anime as i act like i do and i'm meaning to fix that
>>
File: Gyan.png (5 KB, 201x134)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>2116635
It's from the original 1979 Gundam. I thought you were making a stealth reference to it because of your sprite's sword and pose.
>>
>>2116137
>I did contribute somewhat actively to some open source games in the past
You have more experience than the majority of the nodevs that post here
>>
>>2116650
ahhh, gotcha.
i can see why you'd think that. figured it was Gundam. you gotta understand that I have not even seen most of the most basic, rudimentary shit. it's embarrassing how surface-level my list has been. like, fucking EMBARRASSING.
2022 is the year i'm gonna take the dive and make an effort towards growing my powerlevel. it's tough now because a lot of the shit i want to get into is stuff that my ex was into, but soon, anon. soon.
>>
>>2116427
I like this one. Very first one is a bit generic, this has soul.
>>
How many turns should a standard RPG battle take?
>>
>>2117103
I mean a standard SRPG battle. Like final fantasy tactics.
>>
>>2117145
Depends on the mechanics and map size. The first Disgaea's rule of thumb is that battles rarely last more than 15 unless you're cheesing it/setting something up. Even that's a lot, though, and most battles end at around 6-9 turns.
>>
>>2117103
I'm going to tackle this answer a different way.
Remember when game manuals encouraged you to take a break every hour of play for 15 mins? A lot of games are still designed with the idea that you're going to keep a player engaged for an hour MAX between letting them save or take some sort of break. Meaning stuff like optional difficult encounters or the events leading to the end of the game as well as the end of the game should be on the longer end of this.
So good game design would cut this in half afaic. So design your games like a tv show where including cutscenes and combat you have like a half-hour of playing for most sequences before the player takes a break and however many turns on average that takes in your encounters is how long you should be shooting for when you make an encounter.
>>
>>2116427
I like this one better than the other two. Would still bring the horizon a little closer to make the whole less dominated by the water, and also increase the dragon size with the sky size. They are pretty important after all.
>>
For me it's Kevin MacLeod
>>
File: 1489715100765.gif (49 KB, 192x224)
49 KB
49 KB GIF
>tfw getting filtered by pathfinding
I've got a workaround in mind but maybe I'll have the eureka moment still.
>>
>>2117627
Remember; you only get filtered if you give up!
>>
File: title_for_anons.png (19 KB, 640x480)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>2116602
>>2116785
>>2117398
Okay, this is all I've got. Is it a good compromise of all the elements?
>>
File: npcpirate.png (654 B, 68x102)
654 B
654 B PNG
>>2116534
>>
File: street.png (126 KB, 1870x1029)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
So I am trying to go for this lived-down urban hellscape vibe. I've put cracks in the wall and potholes in the concrete ground. I am unsure if they really look the part though. Should I try darker colors? Black outlines? Make them up from more than 3 shades?
>>
>>2117742
I like it. I preferred old background (sunset) but it works.
>>
can you make an open world game in rpg maker?
>>
>>2118235
Stitchless one? You'll get a very unoptimized mess unless you code in scripts for real time draw distance processing.

Separated into sectors (screens) but logically connected? Yes.
>>
>>2117815
1. More dirt.
2. Less concrete.
3. Patches of tall dead grass.
4. Puddles of muddy water.
5. Lots of trash lying near walking paths.
6. Graffiti.
7. Temporarily toned-down color saturation.
>>
>>2078675
Stupid Question. Is this RPGMaker only? Cause nothing specifies this in this thread, the jam is marked as "RPGMAKER school jam", and the descriptions there permits using any engine. This is fucking confusing...
>>
>>2118416
no but the majority of the people here are codelet idea guys and RPGMaker is the go to for idea guys.

I can say that because I'm also a codelet idea guy.
>>
>>2118416
No I'm working in Unity right now.
>>
>>2118416
Whatever engine you want. Dude that put the jam up probably just wrote RPGM out of habit but went out of his way to specify "use whatever engine you want" so you're welcome to do as you please.
>>
>>2118437
>>2118472
>>2118482
Thank you all for this much needed clarification! Now, time to cook some gay cringe...
>>
File: 2021-09-21 22-55-06.webm (138 KB, 1080x320)
138 KB
138 KB WEBM
Progress
>>
File: 2021-09-22 00-54-57.webm (336 KB, 1280x720)
336 KB
336 KB WEBM
More progress
Crystal attacks whoever stayed in the room longest. Maybe I'll add more AI properties later, like bullying the lowest HP bean.
>>
Screwed with yanfly's shop so it doesn't look like the same shop everyone else has. Also integrated equipment learning from another plugin I have.
Just need to fiddle with the stat display in the middle so it shows them all.
>>
File: Female Seniors.png (71 KB, 806x433)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
I have all the female senior arctypes art done
I'm going to give them all a gimmick ability, and let the player choose a club sometime after the middle of the game to get access to the associated ability.
I have 6 more male arctypes to go though, and I'm still trying to playtest and make sure the game isn't too easy, and that the first boss isn't too hard.
>>
Is there any option on vanilla rpg maker or even some plugins that allows me to set the tgeneral ext speed in one go? Having to use text codes in every line is really annoying
>>
>>2119745
you won't finish if you keep the game bloated. Trust me on that one.
>>
>>2118416
The anons have been kind enough to relax the engine restriction a few jams ago. Which is nice because I don't use RPGM.

However, I've also been working on my game for over a year now, and it is barely presentable, much less playable. So you know, maybe you are better off using RPGM.
>>
>good ideas are finally flowing
>game is due in TWELVE FUCKING DAYS
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>2078675
Never tried pixel art before but Pixel Studio seems pretty comfy to use.
Any tips regarding pixel art for a newbie?
>>
File: Female Juniors.png (55 KB, 806x433)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>2119855
I know, but it's mostly just fighting
You're either in a cell or fighting. That's it. No dungeons to design or anything.
Playtesting is hard though because each basic, unarmed attack has a chance to add almost any state such as bleeding, falling, confusion, etc.
So you could be fighting the easiest of enemies and lose, or fight the hardest enemy at the moment and win out of pure luck. You could also just get mostly easy enemies for a long period of time, or get mostly hard enemies. I also try to have things change and new notes, tips and hints come through as the game progresses. I'm mostly just trying to keep a game with simple gameplay as interesting as possible by having it be completely random
>>
I'm having trouble with the rate at which characters join the party. Since this game will probably only be an hour long at maximum, it feels like they should probably all join fairly early in. To me, games kind of don't feel like they've truly "started" until you've got a full party, so everything up til then is like a tutorial. BUT: story-wise, it makes most sense for my party to slowly trickle in throughout the course of the game. I'm having trouble reconciling this.
>>
>>2120197
edit: the fix was pm'd to me, mods can delete this post now, thanks all :)
>>
>>2120197
Make the gameplay work with 1-2 of them and make each new one put an interesting spin on how you approach the fights.

edit: whoops sorry for necrobumping
>>
How would you implement stealth mechanics in rpg maker?
>>
File: Book.gif (631 KB, 600x338)
631 KB
631 KB GIF
Fixing my weird intro sequence
>>
>>2120261
That looks mega sick
>>
>>2120263
Thanks king
>>
>>2120243
There's plugins for mv, pretty simple yet janky though
>>
>>2120261
I agree with the other anon, this is top stylish.
>>
>>2120261
Make it three
>>
>>2120261
neat!
>>
File: file.png (462 KB, 544x416)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
Is there similar script for MV?
>>
>>2120805
What script is that? And yes just look up RPGmaker MV 3D
>>
I try to make my game with no level up at all, so all progress comes from the gear. But i'm confused how to treat HP and armor.
Should the armor subtract or divide the attack? Or should the blow exceed the armor in order to damage the HP? Or should I make the armor a separate bar that needs to be zero to take damage?

So, idk about numbers too... The HP should be a high number since begining, or there is a high risk of 1-hit-KO since beginning?

Maybe I just had a bad idea.
>>
>>2122166
>I try to make my game with no level up at all, so all progress comes from the gear.
So you're making a Legend of Zelda game?
>>
>>2122166
you can do this in the most straight way: Armor simply gives more HP. It may seem conceptually strange, but the armor increases your ability to take a beating before you die. In practical matters HP and defense are the same thing in many RPGs. But of course, the game is more like a zelda game.
>>
>>2122166
What if, you try the craziest option you have the least faith in, and see how it works, then if it doesn't, implement the next one and keep going.
>>
>>2122283
No, he is obviously making Monster Hunter.
>>
>game keeps growing, almost got the loop done
>many ideas how to flesh it out but not enough time
>>
File: 1627520499028.jpg (81 KB, 1080x905)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2122682
>Grinding out the main gameplay element through extensive eventing and eventual plugins
>Finally finish the core system
>11 days left and haven't started on literally anything else in the game.
I don't think I'm gonna make it bros
>>
File: 1619725050577.png (148 KB, 802x640)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>2120805
just make it in 2k/3
>>
>>2122985
What patch is this?
>>
Where can I torrent some plugins for mz?
>>
>>2122990
The
>use event code to grab info on your surrounding tiles for however far out and around you want to draw a line of sight and call pictures of walls and stuff based on that information
"patch."
>>
>>2123015
Why not just use the MV 3D patch at that point, since that would actually let you have smooth movement
>>
>>2123159
nta but it's about sending a message
>>
>cooldown script is based on turn based system
>use ATB, now other ally's turn also count down the cooldown
how do I fix this?
>>
>>2123466
give each character their own atb value?
>>
File: 1625929352621.webm (934 KB, 853x480)
934 KB
934 KB WEBM
>>2123296
The message gets easier and easier to send every day. Speaking of which, RM2k Princess Maker dev, if you're out there, I've got some pretty important stuff to tell you if you want to know some things that could definitely make your life easier. This webm should give you a clue as to the reason(s) why.
>>
>>2116324
>>2116427
Like the first one the best on the basis of the brighter colors catching my eye more, even if it technically seems jankier.
>>
>>2123721
What, do I look like I can even the simplest hello world in ruby?
>>
>>2124295
Sounds like it's time to learn or perish, little guy.
>>
>>2119025
There, I finally got it working!
It doesn't look very impressive, but I spent several hours fucking around with extracting item trait data based on the parameter being displayed to show the change for those last four parameters in the middle.
Now I have a functional shop interface that doesn't look like stock-standard Yanfly.
>>
File: 1628952474132.gif (799 KB, 500x375)
799 KB
799 KB GIF
Hello lads, I have a strange request to ask of you:
Can anyone with RPGM VX Ace, either the program or just the RTP, upload their default Graphics/Titles asset folder? I know it's weird but just humor me for a bit. You can upload to a temp file storage site like uguu.se or litterbox.catbox.moe .

Also, does RPGM allow for modifying images like say, playing with hue/saturation/adding borders to the image/etc? I'll assume not, but I'd like this question cleared up.
>>
>>2117103
>>2117145
This depends on how the combat fits into the game. In Final Fantasy Tactics, there's no "area exploration" component at all. The basic structure is: cutscene -> combat <-> map/menu -> repeat. The player can save at any time during the map/menu phase and there's only a chance of a random battle when moving from town to town (which isn't required too often and is well within the control of the player to manage risk of getting hit with a 10-15 minute battle). FFT battles can take a lot of turns, because most of the gameplay is combat and preparing for combat. Most RPGs have an exploration, dungeon crawl component which makes it harder to balance long combats. Alternating between dungeon crawling and 15-minute combats can be tiring.

FFT typically has 5-10 enemy units per map and it takes 2-3 attacks to KO a unit. There's usually a couple of turns per enemy spent buffing, healing or maneuvering (plus some "wasted" turns near the end when there aren't many enemies left to attack).
So I'd predict 30-50 unit-turns for the winning team and a bit less for the losing team who will have less turns as the battle ends. There can be a huge range here, though, depending on the starting positions and how efficiently you're able to dispatch enemies (AoE magic, LOL999 Stabs, etc.)

I recently recorded a Dorter Trade City battle (with zero grinding beforehand). I watched the video and the numbers align pretty much with what I'd predict.

45 player turns (15 of those were AI-controlled Algus/Delita)
24 enemy turns
69 total turns (This doesn't include a some turns spent near the end where I go around collecting treasures/crystals)

There are 6 player units including Algus and Delita, so this works out to 7.5 turns per player unit.

The battle took about 20 minutes to finish, but I was playing pretty carefully since I was recording and wanted to avoid mistakes.
>>
>>2124820
Also, there are 6 enemies on the Dorter map.
>>
Hey anons, how about playing a demo of this RPG?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1325040/Keylocker__Turn_Based_Cyberpunk_Action/
>>
>>2125334
Oh crud! I remember when this was a wee little concept art. Now you say you already have a demo? It's good to see you still kickin anon!
>>
File: bawhale_walk.gif (5 KB, 104x75)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
>>2125404
Oh yes, a ridiculous 3h long demo with way more things to it than it should
>>
>>2123775
Oh fuck, impressive work, anon!
I've mostly been trying to get my jam game done, so I haven't made much progress on my Princess Maker clone yet, but the custom menus you got working here are looking great.
If you're also the guy who's been working on a CBS in 2k/2k3, I'd also be eternally grateful if you detailed how you did it.
>>
File: 1617995075426.png (264 KB, 2312x865)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>2125734
You have to be OK with two things:
>Using RPG Maker 2003
>Using a patched version called the "Maniacs" patch
But I believe that for your project in particular, this would save you lots and lots of headaches and enable you to do more of what you want to do, subject to fewer limitations which may have already made you re-think your plans.
The "Show String Picture" command is just one of many, many things which would make menu-heavy games such as, say, a Princess Maker clone, far easier to design here than in the stock maker since keeping track of anything numeric require
>fewer images to be displayed at once (and subsequently, less for you to keep track of)
>shorter, less complex event code (no more having to divide by x y z and modulo to get each digit "place" for anything greater than 1 digit in length, and no more having to carefully position each image after doing that)
>No more having to "prep" images containing text or numbers in advance (unless you really want to) since you can use this command anywhere and change it at any time later on
EasyRPG Player does not (yet) support many of the custom commands, so that takes an in-browser version off the table at least for now, but it's definitely something worth considering.
>>
File: 1613548400832.png (6 KB, 306x117)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>2126065
One other thing you may have noticed (subtly) is that the text as-displayed in the editor is different than in the images. THAT is because 2k3 Maniacs supports variable-width fonts at all points except in the default menus and in battles (you can work around that by eventing a quick swap to a non VWF modified version of your font before something like that happens if your font is too big or otherwise looks jank). Normally, RM2k/3 can only show fonts that top out at 5 pixels wide before they start to bleed over into other letters. The only downside to this is that you can no longer count on the old character limit guidelines (38w/face, 50 with no face) to determine how long your lines should be, but imo it's a small price to pay.
Another huge improvement: .ogg support and therefore, seamlessly looping non-MIDI music.
>>
>>2126364
Why even bother deleting your first post if you aren't even going to fix all the mistakes in it?
Also just use your gut instinct, that's what I do.
>>
Some pro-tips in how create economic/monetary system, as how to set rewards and prices?

>>2126411
I'm dumb.
>>
>in how create
bro...
>>
>>2126468
Oh no, now he's gonna delete his post again..
>>
>>2126468
why not help him? he already said he's dumb
>>
>>2126514
>him

well, it should've been
>Some pro-tips on how to create economic/monetary system, as in how to set rewards and prices
I think
>>
>>2126468
>>2126544
Sorry, english is not my first language.
>>
>>2126554
Don't worry, we're all here to learn and help each other.
>>
>>2126544
we're all men here, yes
>>
File: gothgrill.png (844 KB, 1126x1202)
844 KB
844 KB PNG
Goth is done, working on just trying to finish one dungeon now and maybe two bosses. Work is heating up and I am working until late night now before I can get any work done on the game. Thankfully weekend is here soon and I can relax then.
>>
I just don't have any motivation to work on my game, hold me bros I'm ngmi
>>
>>2127238
Opposite problem, I'm feeling highly motivated since I just solved what I was worried would be a huge pain using variable pointers to make it easier to modify later on. Can't rework the entire system sadly due to lack of time (since it would have required already knowing exactly what my finished product would look like in advance) but it does give me ideas on how to optimize it after the jam, and for other stuff moving forward.
>>
>>2126956
she's a qt! looking forward to playing your game, anon.
>>
>>2126956
I will now buy your game
>>
>>2126065
>>2126221
Reading up on it and holy fuck are a lot of its features are ridiculously useful. I wish I had learned about this sooner BUT it won't be too difficult/tedious to fix up and port over what I have done. This is going to definitely cut down on the time I spend on copying + pasting + adjusting events just to show a stat/name.
Luckily, most of my work so far has been on designing characters + making sprites (picture related), so there's not much to redo in terms of the actual game itself.
>>
File: makeDatOven.jpg (33 KB, 209x651)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Got a vaguely medieval sink done and working on an oven. It's been quite some time since I've had the time to work on shit like this.
Reusing assets I've already made like a motherfucker. Change the palette, make a few changes. Hey, it's a new sprite!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.