[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1612224249512.jpg (52 KB, 585x544)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Why are there only a handful of western RPGs set in a fantasy middle eastern like environment?
>>
It isn't cool.
>>
>>1904124
Westerners aren't creative
>>
>>1904124
I'd love an RPG with ARABIAN NIGHTS setting. Arab folklore is pretty cool anyway.
>>
Cultural appropriation
>>
Because SSI soured people on the concept, following their mediocre cash-in on Zeldabux.
>>
>>1904124
Why would there be more? It seems like the people living there don't want to make them either.
>>
I think they'd be treading on eggshells to try avoid accusations of cultural appropriation or using tropes and ideas that could be seen as racist/Islamophobic. Also deserts are the least interesting areas in all of video games.
>>
It would be haram.
>>
File: 1609953936446.jpg (2.99 MB, 4272x2848)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>1904296
>deserts are the least interesting areas in all of video games
That's because developers and players have no imagination whatsoever. They think a desert environment in a game should just be sand dunes and the occasional oasis. It's idiotic. It would be like if forests in medieval fantasy rpgs were just a green texture on the ground and the exact same tree copy pasted a thousand times with nothing else at all. The real problem is that developers are lazy and don't try at all and that most players automatically think deserts in video games == endless sand dunes when it doesn't have to be the case.

Of course the bigger problem is that most players and developers think that the middle east == deserts and only deserts. You ignore that while yes the middle east has quite two quite big deserts, it also has numerous other geographic environments. Everything from plains, to mountains, shrubland, woods, hills, etc.
>>
>>1904431
Yeah, it's kind of hard to know or imagine something you have absolutely no experience with, huh?
>>
There's a bunch of them from the 90s, like quest for glory 2, today people would complain it's >>1904186
>>
>>1904186
>>1904296
Go back to whatever shit hold you came from.
>>
>>1904471
lmao, anon is tuh-riggered
>>
>>1904124
Nothing outside of Tolkienesque high fantasy sells well enough in the West for investors to bother
>>
>>1904186
This. It'd be called Orientalist and Orientalism is a bad word.
>>
>>1904124
they don’t want to be bombed or beheaded
>>
File: IMG_0108.jpg (658 KB, 1600x1198)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
>>1905233
It probably would sell. It's just that investors and business-minded people are by their nature conservatively risk-averse and aren't interested in art for its own sake. I'm sure if we got a game with the scope and budget of shit like Assassin's Creed Odyssey but with the world of Moebius, it'd sell really well. It's just never gonna happen because investors would go "Huh?" to that while Greek shit is easily explained.
>>
It's oddly uninteresting at a glance. You see scorched deserts, crowded cities and think there's nothing more to it. Mexico has the same problem.
>>
>>1904204
It was a pretty good game. I like it more than Zelda. Has a lot of charm.
>>
>>1905484
Is it more like Ys or Zelda?
>>
File: edward said.jpg (263 KB, 1200x1200)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>mfw someone does an orientalism
>>
>>1904124
Because Islamic shit is cringe and retarded
>>
>>1905737
It can be fine for fantasy. Played an Islamic inspired dorf in the last tabletop game I played. Had two wives, flew around on a carpet, looked down on the party for consuming alcohol and cut the hands off some thieves.
>>
>>1904124
Because it isn't western.
>>
>>1904431
>shrublands
That's a fancy way of saying desert with bushes.
>>
>>1904124
because Dyna Blaster and its many descendants don't qualify as RPGs
>>
>>1906126
A desert is just about rainfall.
>>
>>1904124
treasures of aht urhgan was my least favorite expansion.
>>
>>1905737
>harem is cringe
>>
>>1908312
Haram is cringe.
>>
>Why don't devs make a setting based on middle east/South America/Africa/Native America/etc
Why don't people from those regions become game devs and make it? Devs should be driven by passion, and your own people's history is a passion for many people.
>>
>>1905737
Islamic Golden Age is awesome. Best place to live on Earth back in the 9th century. Europe didn’t get its shit together until the Renaissance really - before then, the centre of Starting with the Greeks was the Islamic world.
>>
>>1904471
Found a triggered sand-nigger
>>
>>1904143
I appreciate this pun, anon.
>>
>>1904204
That was a great game though. I think I played and finished it 5 or 6 times.
>>
>>1904124
Every step removed from the most generic medieval Forgotten Realms-esque setting is bad for sales. And it isn't just the investor's fault. The audience for WRPG is dogshit like that. You don't have to go as far as engaging with arabian nights. Add a renaissance era gun to high fantasy and most gamers kill themselves on sight.
>>
>>1908534
Disco Elysium sold more than Pathfinder Kingmaker.
>>
>>1904124
Most devs aren't middle eastern and a lot of people unfortunately associate arab culture with radical islam.
>>1904296
The only way to not stir controversy with the religious side of the arab world would be to not reference it at all. Most people who use the term "islamophobic" unironically though are white americans.
>>1904186
I don't care if someone makes an orientalist Aladdin game. I just think it's lame. I'd rather see stuff I recognize than "WOOOOAH! PERSIAN CARPET!! GENIE LAMP!" a million times. But then again Europeans have the same "kill the dragon and save the princess" with different coats of paint.
>>
>>1904296
>Also deserts are the least interesting areas in all of video games.
>Diablo II, Act 2

Pick one
>>
>>1908634
Think that proves his point
>>
>>1905250
I had a dream with very similar visuals to this once. it was very unsettling
>>
>>1908534
One issue is the all or nothing mentality. There's no reason you can't have medieval Europe and the Middle East. Except that people need elves and dwarves and shit.
>>
>>1904296

what about new vegas?
lots of ppl love it and it takes place in the mojave which is obviously a desert
>>
>>1908634
>Diablo II, Act 2
yeah it's god awful
>>
>>1904296
>using tropes and ideas that could be seen as racist/Islamophobic.
Maybe just don't use them
>Also deserts are the least interesting areas in all of video games
Like thinking the middle east is just only desert
This is an issue with a lot of things where people just go off by what they assume and get from pop culture and biases, like mesoamerica always being ooga booga people with Chichen Itza being called Mayan and placed in a jungle
>>
File: ezgif-3-57f7defad4e6.jpg (276 KB, 1536x922)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>1904124
There are barely any Western RPGs set in anything that isn't a medieval Europe knockoff. Anything is possible in video games and we get the same old shit forever and ever. The world is amazing and beautiful and WRPGs capture the tiniest slice of it. I'm not even talking imagined worlds...we don't even get to explore much of what our own planet is filled with in these games.
>>
>>1908594
>But then again Europeans have the same "kill the dragon and save the princess" with different coats of paint.
Most of that is by Americans who view it as exotic and detached from its culture as cartoon genies nowadays.
European settings made by Europeans and you get Kingdom Come or of course Tolkien's whole library.
>>1909641 might be a good example of what I'm talking about, Fallout probably wouldn't be Fallout if Americans weren't making it
A middle eastern RPG either needs actual middle easterners making it or someone who actually cares about the area beyond propaganda and assumptions
>>
>>1905376
>You see scorched deserts, crowded cities and think there's nothing more to it. Mexico has the same problem.
You could probably make a whole SMT styled game based on Mexico City alone, the same way they always focus on Tokyo.
I hate the troop of "oooh jungle ruins to loot" but there's that too
>>
>>1904124
I want a Crusades RPG where you can be a Muslim or a Christian. Elves, orcs, and dragon either Arabic/Turkish or European/Roman inspired
>>
>>1909733
For example, look at shit like Karateka or D&D Oriental Adventures, American depictions of Japan that a Japanese person wouldn't do. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but you can tell it's some kind of imitation.
>>
>>1904186
Bait but im bored. Fuck off. We rather have our girls look like repressec sex addicts like in hunipop 2 then you bomb our country and blame us for immigranting.
>>
>>1904431
I hate how middle east is depicted as deserts. A better descriptor is water, or rather how valuable it is.
>>
>>1909751
Everyone here who says cultural appropriation is either shitposting or thinks everyone outside 4chan is a twitter wokescold. People here think the middle east is just desert and bombs so they don't understand why their perception of the region might be lacking and just chalk it up to sjws
>>
>>1909741
>I want a Crusades RPG where you can be a Muslim or a Christian.
Speaking of that, Mount & Blade is literally Turkish so there's that OP. It's still mostly european inspired though
>Elves, orcs, and dragon either Arabic/Turkish or European/Roman inspired
Or Djinn, which ironically are closer to how modern elves and dwarves are depicted, ie creatures with their own civilizations, cultures, religion and faith
>>
>>1909733
>A middle eastern RPG either needs actual middle easterners making it or someone who actually cares about the area beyond propaganda and assumptions
Maybe I need to get off my ass and become a gamedev then. It'll be terrible indie shit, but I gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>1909766
>Or Djinn, which ironically are closer to how modern elves and dwarves are depicted, ie creatures with their own civilizations, cultures, religion and faith
That would be perfect! What are other fantasy or folklore races present in their region?
>>
>>1909776
DnD actually uses a bunch of them like Rakshasa or the aforementioned Djinn.

Also a lot of sword & sorcery that inspired DnD, such as Conan, drew on orientalism.
>>
Final Fantasy XII is absolutely filled with Mediterranean and middle eastern/arabic/oriental aesthetics.
>>
I wish Dark Sun had gotten more popular, it really was the most interesting TSR setting.
>>
>>1904186
>>1904296
twitter trannies aren't indicative of reality. the internet has rotted your brain
>>
>>1910509
video game development circles aren't reality either, they are full of twitterists
>>
File: Calishites.png (217 KB, 300x414)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>1908534
>Every step removed from the most generic medieval Forgotten Realms-esque setting is bad for sales.
Forgotten Realms is a huge setting, though. If a game were to include more than one little region of the world, you could include multiple cultures in a single setting. You don't need to do a complete setting shift (eg Al-Qadim or something like that) in order to get a break from Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, etc. Although, Athkatla in BG2 is supposed to be a cosmopolitan city and supposed to show influence of trade with Calimshan.
>Add a renaissance era gun to high fantasy and most gamers kill themselves on sight.
World of Warcraft seems pretty popular. Final Fantasy, also.
>>
>>1910420
Elder Scrolls Online, def some themes there.
>>
>>1904124
Play the Almraiven module for NwN1
>>
>>1909773
Go for it anon
>>
>>1908370
Probably because the modern-day Middle East is a Mad Max-style wasteland of shitfuck that's in a perpetual cycle of suffering that most people can't escape from.
>>
>>1910751
neither of those examples in the second group are real rpgs(all rights reserved)
>>
>>1904124
Shut up wh*toid, we can make our own games if we want to. You aren't allowed to touch it.
>>
>>1910751
Obviously JRPGs are all postmodern so of course their fans don't mind. World of Warcraft grew out of RTS, that is where the brand got their power. But in any case we are talking about the world of CRPGs, whose fans do indeed kill themselves at the slightest deviation from the norm. You talk about the variety included in the (dogshit) Realms, but nobody ever wants to take a break from the sword coast and adjacencies because that's what CRPG fans want. Pillars 2 was a disaster arguably not for any of the many valid reasons it should have been, but because there were boats and pirates in the game instead of castles and peasants. The Elder Scrolls grew in popularity exactly as it became more and more generic. These are not coincidences anon. What I maintain is that not only are investors skittish, not only are developers afraid to push the envelope, but the fans as a group tend to confirm their worst fears.
>>
>>1904124
Cause it sucks

>>1904147
Cope
>>
>>1908378
Load of shit
>>
>>1908378
t. arab
>>
>>1915655
>>1915659
>>1915713
candidate for worst samefagging of the week
>>
>>1915731
Cope
>>
>>1908634
I always quit on Act 2 on every single character. Only finished the game once.
Desert not only looks boring but also plays boring and has the worst music. Such a fucking nosedive from the Act 1 music.
>>
>>1915659
>>1915655
>>1916012
>he doesn't know that white people where dying because they shat too close to their mud hutts while muslims built architectural masterpieces
>>
What are some interesting fantastical stories from the middle east that could be turned into a video game without allahu akubars beheading the devs?
>>
>>1916149
"The last shall be first, and the first shall be last."
>>
>>1916152
Maybe stuff involving Zoroastrian/Ancient Persian lore and legend? Not like Arabian Nights-tier shit, but something more involving with the mythos and folklore of Persia and Arabia pre-Islamification.
>>
>>1916149
Hows that 2 hours electricity working out Achmed?
>>
>>1905737
People lived in what is now called middle east thousands of years before abrahamic religions were a glimpse in some protokike's eye.
>>
>>1915646
>whose fans do indeed kill themselves at the slightest deviation from the norm
It's never been done right, though. At least not in the way I am suggesting, which is to avoid doing a wholesale setting shift and slathering all the marketing with scimitars, Djinni, and Islamic-style architecture, instead to just expand into those elements from a conservative and accessible starting point. Instead of switching entirely from Tolkein to Arabian Nights, you do a bit of both. You could easily take a Byzatine-Ottoman inspired setting and start on the Byzantine-inspired side but then have half the game happen on the Ottoman-inspired side. You could even give the Ottomans a little more of a North African flavor. You might have to skip the furshit and give Elves and Dwarves off-screen homelands for the first game, but you could do it.

> The Elder Scrolls grew in popularity exactly as it became more and more generic
Skyrim is not generic at all it's explicitly Nordic-themed. It doesn't feel like generic Western Europe.

>>1915615
>neither of those examples in the second group are real rpgs
The settings in those games are valid RPG settings in popular games and that's all that matters to the point.
>>
File: blade02-27026.jpg (100 KB, 800x600)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>1916251
Gotchu senpai.
>>
>>1905250
brap
>>
>>1916251
Arabian nights is literally that
>>
>>1915614
>a Mad Max-style wasteland of shitfuck that's in a perpetual cycle of suffering
this would actually be an interesting setting though
>>
>>1916337
Generic Fantasy doesn't have to be 'done right', CRPG fans will consume any garbage as long as there's pointy hats and castles in them. If there was a good game with a good plot with great mechanics set in the world of 1001 Nights, then I'd play it. I don't have to be coddled. You can try and coddle the RPG fan into something marginally different all you want. You can try and surrender all the weakness of your setting and create some ungodly Byzantine-Abbasid pastiche. You'll fail. The average RPG fan is a retard. That you think Skyrim isn't generic fantasy proves the point. You're just another dumbass, anon.
>>
>>1916395
lol butthurt hipster detected. most rpgs fail, period, it's fucking niche.
>>
>>1916395
>You can try and coddle the RPG fan into something marginally different all you want.
The point is to be not be constrained by the idea that you need to make your setting be explicitly explicitly hung up on one specific cultural legacy, and that it must be an either/or proposition.

The fundamental appeal of fantasy is escapism, typically escape from the overwhelming influence of modern technology and social organization, into a time and place with more freedom and simpler rules, where a young man and his companions can venture into a hostile, untamed wilderness and overcome fantastic challenges, discover exotic and mystical cultures, play a role in an epic story of war and romance and ultimately grow rich and powerful.

Using a default "Medieval European" setting is a way to signal what you're going for. If you can find some other way to send that message and deliver the desired experience, you can make the setting anything you want.
>>
>>1910486
only good post ITT
sage so the thread falls off the catalog

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.